Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 5

A week past and the three ranchers found it very difficult to watch the herd, ride into town to eat, and be alert at night, not to mention that Andy was a terrible rancher. Nick knew that even though she didn't want to decide now, it had to be done. She either had to get the house rebuilt and hire more ranch hands, or sell the land and cattle and start a new life. Randall had told her of his brother who was looking to buy some land for his own cattle, and also offered to purchase any cattle she had left for double their cost. He was coming within the next couple of days to check the land, and see if it was worth the price.

The offer would allow Nick to live comfortably for the rest of her life, but she wondered what her ancestors would think. Those who sweated and bleed on that land, would they want her to sell what they worked so hard to create. With winter on the way, she had to move fast. There was no way her and the boys could sleep outside in the snow. What would she do if she did sell it? Where would she go? Somehow living in Honeycomb and no longer being a rancher didn't satisfy her. She would have to leave, but go where? She needed some answers, ones no one could give her, not even herself, it seemed.

She sat mounted on Goliath in her new clothes, the others were blood stained. Patricia and Betty had been kind enough to make her a pair of pants and a shirt, they later on brought her a coat for the winter time. It was strange to see them being so kind to her, but she was in no mood to cast any doubts about their generosity.

The field was a bit wet from the rain the day before, and the sky was still dark from the rain clouds over head. Andy was in the stables taking care of a couple horses that got burned during the fire, their wounds just weren't healing right. Rock had rode into town to get everyone their dinner.

The wolves had been braver since the fire, and they had lost three cows already. Nick wasn't sure if it was from the lack of men or the lack of desire from everyone. Either way it wasn't anyone's fault, but she hoped that Randall's brother would arrive soon enough before anymore went.

She kept her eyes on the woods, but it was such a large field for just one person to watch. It wasn't until she heard the sound of the crying calf that she knew there were wolves about. Not even the dogs seemed to go on alert, but when the calf cried Boss's eyes were up and he raced over, Nick close behind.

There were eight wolves, tearing about the little calf. Reaching behind her she pulled her rifle, jumping off Goliath, she positioned herself on the ground. Kneeled down, she fired two times and hit two wolves, there was a fifteen second delay between each shot. Two of the wolves took it as a sign to run, but the other four decided to guard their meal. They lowered their bodies and began a slow jog towards her, their fangs showing and blood dripping from their chins. Nick pulled the trigger, and the wolf in the lead fell to the ground, aiming the gun again after she cocked it, she fired, only to hear the familiar sound of her gun jam. Standing up, she tried to dislodge the jammed bullet. Her eyes went from the gun to the wolves that were moving into close range, she couldn't get the bullet out.

She yanked desperately but the bullet wouldn't dislodge, suddenly she heard the sound of one of the wolves give a loud yelp. When she looked up, he had fallen to the ground, his head a bloody mess. The two remaining wolves turned their eyes to a dark figure near the fences, Nick could see that he was holding a gun. The wolves changed their disposition on who was the threat now, and charged towards him at rapid speed. He fired again, and one of the wolves fell with a yelp. The last wolf kept going at full speed, and when another shot rang out the wolf didn't fall, it continued to run. Nick tried to fix her gun, so that she could help him. When it leapt into the air, he shot it two more times, but the momentum kept the animals body going. It landed on him, sending him to the ground. When he pushed the wolf off, his clothes were saturated in blood. With that Nick yanked and the lodge bullet came loose, she looked up at the man who still stood staring down at the dead wolf.

Nick moved closer with Goliath behind her, the calf was still wailing. It's entrails had been removed, and with her gun now ready, she fired ending the animals pain. Her eyes went to the man, he had long black hair pulled into a low pony tail. His skin was a dark tan, but his eyes were a light blue, and his build was tall and muscular. He wasn't nearly as muscular as Rock, but he was definitely as tall as he was. His face was wind burned, and he wore normal traveling gear. He placed his revolver in it's holster, and Nick noticed he had two. She recognized them right away as Colt 1851 Navy Yank US Marshals, she knew from the star engraved into the frame. There use to be a set displayed in the dinning room, that had been her father's former pistols, that he had replaced a couple years before. They were slightly different, the grips were white instead of the normal hand polished wood. She thought he looked a great deal like an Indian she had met once long ago. Her eyes told her she knew this man, but where had she seen him before?

He said nothing, only climbed over the fence and got back onto his horse. He bowed his head, allowing his hat to cover his eyes for a moment, and then rode off towards Honeycomb.

"Nick!"

She heard Rock yell out, as he rode up.

"You alright?"

Looking herself over, she nodded. "Wolves come in for a feed."

"I see that." He frowned, "Come on, let's eat dinner and then we can clean this mess up."

With a nod, she looked down the road again at the shadow riding away into the setting sun.

"Who was that?" Rock asked.

"I don't know, but I think he may have saved my life."

He said nothing else, only turned and rode off towards their camp. Nick mounted Goliath, and looked at the
road the stranger had disappeared down. She had seen him before she just knew it, but where?

Dinner was nothing more then beans and pork, once everyone had their fill, she announced she had to speak to them. Clearing her throat, she stood up and looked down at Andy and Rock.

"I've decided to take whatever offer Randall's brother gives me for the ranch. I can't possibly live here or try to rebuild. It's just not in me anymore, I am sure he'll let you two stay and work here if you want to." Nick looked down at them, neither of them looked surprised.

"What are you going to do, Nick?" Andy finally asked.

She shrugged, "Travel until I find the place I belong."

"What if you belong here?" He looked up, covering his eyes from the still setting sun.

"Then I'll be back, but I just can't deal with the ranch anymore. A lot of my family died here, and that was alright by me, but none were brutally murdered. My pa, Teresa, Hank, and the twins will always be here for me. I just don't think I can live here, knowing the very spot that each of them died."

Rock nodded his head, "It's your decision, Nick. You do what you have to."

"I'm giving Mud to you, Rock, and Snow to you, Andy. They don't belong to the ranch no more, and I'm not selling them. The other horses go with the ranch, me, Boss, and Goliath are going to leave as soon as I get the money." With that Nick turned around and headed over to her horse, mounted him, and rode off into the field.

"Think she'll be back?" Andy asked, still watching her.

"Doubt it, she's pretty stubborn. Coming back would probably mean defeat."

"You staying if she is leaving?" Andy got himself another bowl of beans off the fire.

Rock gave a nod, "Only job that I can really work and be myself, don't have to deal with many people. You?" He looked over from Nick to him.

"Yeah, I am not traveler."

Standing up, Rock went over to his horse, "Alright, I'm going out into the field for a bit, and I'll be back. It's Nick's turn tonight for night shift."

Andy gave a nod as he stuffed his mouth full of beans.

---***---
When the sun rose Nick laid down for a short nap, and Andy and Rock went to work. Was much more then two hours before a cart pulled up into the ranch, it was Randall and another man. Andy came out of the stable and greeted them.

"Morning, Randall."

"Morning, Andy. Is Nicolette around?" Randall asked.

Andy looked at the man behind Randall and gave a nod, he looked like an older version of the shopkeeper. "Yeah, she's sleeping, I'll go fetch her."

He walked around the stable, and instead of staying put the two men followed behind him. Andy shook her gently, and she opened her eyes for a moment, then frowned.

"Go away, Andy, it's still morning." She said then threw her arm across her eyes.

Andy grinned, but tried to hide it from the two men, "Randall is here."

Sitting up, Nick looked at the two men. "Hello."

"Morning, Miss Beldin." Randall said, both men had their hats in their hands, as it was courteous to do so for a lady.

"Morning, Randall." She stood up and wiped the dust that had accumulated on her pants from sleeping. "What can I do for you?"

Randall cleared his voice, "This is my brother, William Beacon."

Nick held out her hand and William shook it, "Please meeting you, Mister Beacon."

"William, please. Mind if I take a look around the property?"

Nick nodded, "Sure, would you like Andy to saddle up a horse for you?"

"No, ma'am, think I'll be fine just walking about." Looking towards the woods he headed out towards the field.

Looking over to Randall, Nick frowned.

"Sorry, Miss Beldin, I would of sent Neil to let you know we were coming, but he insisted we leave at once."

Nodding her head, she looked back over at William who seemed to be picking the stable apart, looking at every piece of wood. Andy got uneasy with him in the stable and went to see if he could assist him.

"If I might ask…" Randall began, "why were you sleeping at this hour?" "I had night shift watching the cattle from the wolves."

"Oh." He seemed uneasy standing there, but it wasn't unlike him. He was very superstitious man, and being in the cemetery had made him act strange as well. It was probably the fact that people he knew had been murdered on this land. "Did you hear Sheriff Devlin arrested a man yesterday?"

Nick turned and looked at him, "What for?"

"Seems this fellow was covered in blood, not only that but he had ivory handled guns. Blue Hills reported that their bartender was murdered by a man with an ivory handled gun. Avery sent Curtis there to have them come out and identify the man, see if he was him." Blue Hills was a two day ride there and back.

"You see this man?" Nick asked.

"Yes ma'am, I did. Long black hair, dark skin, if it weren't for his blue eyes I would think he was part injun."

"See his guns?"

Randall nodded.

"Were they Colt US Marshals?"

He gave a confused look, "Don't know much about guns, Miss Beldin."

"Did they have stars on the frame?"

He nodded, "Yeah, real nice guns."

"And you say that he might be wanted in Blue Hills?"

He gave another nod, "Why you asking all these questions?"

"A man matching that description came by the ranch just yesterday. He was heading into town."

Randall rose an eyebrow, "He came in from the east you say? He would of come into Honeycomb from the west if he was coming from Blue Hills." Nick nodded, "I know."

William walked over with a grin, "Well, the house is burned down, and those fences and stable need to be replaced."

"You already knew the house and bunk burned down, Mister Beacon. And those fences and that stable were rebuilt when I was a little girl, they are just fine."

William frowned.

"Don't try to pull one over my eyes, because I am a woman, Mister Beacon."

With a smile, he gave a slight chuckle, "Can't blame me for trying to save a little money. I'll give you four thousand."

Crossing her arms she frowned, "You told Randall seven thousand, four thousand won't get you the herd and horses, and those damn good herding dogs."

"Alright, lets make a deal here, lets go with five thousand five hundred."

Nick glared at him for a moment, then extended her hand, he shook it, "You've got a deal, Mister Beacon."

"My name is William, and come into town about lunch tomorrow, and you can collect your sum. Don't forget to bring the deed with you."

"Deed is at the bank, so don't worry none."

He grinned, "See you then, Miss Beldin, you strike a hard bargain." Randall grinned at Nick as William walked off, and then jogged up behind him. The two men got in the cart, and waved goodbye.

"How much you get?" Andy asked.

"Enough, now get back to work. Tomorrow you'll have a new boss." As Andy turned to walk away, Nick thought about the man Randall told her about. "Andy, if Rock asks tell him I went into town on an important matter."

He gave a nod, "Want me to saddle Goliath?"

"Please?"

Giving a nod and a smile, he went into the stable while Nick pulled her hair back into her ponytail and folded up her blankets.

---***---
Riding into town, Nick saw Buddy and the other boys at play with their harmonica, she was surprised Avery hadn't taken it away from them yet. Randall and William were entering the shop, and gave her a wave as she rode by towards the sheriff's office. Most of the people in Honeycomb stayed indoors, and it was rare to see anyone outside except the occasional horse that was tied up out front of the saloon or shops.

Mrs. Beacon, Randall's wife, came out and waved her down, she was a large woman, but sweet as them come.

"Oh, sugar, I am so glad I caught you. Can you stay in town for, oh say, another forty five minutes?"

"What for, Mrs. Beacon?"

"I'm making the last of the blueberries into pies, and I made a special one just for you. It has the last of the good honey in it as well, and I want you to come and get it. I'm cooking a whole bunch to sell in the shop, but this one is specially for you. Randall told me you were selling to William, and I just want you to have a good meal at the last night at the ranch."

Nick smiled, "I'll see what I can do, if you don't find me at the sheriff's office, I'll try to be in the saloon."

"Alright, sweetheart. Make sure you don't leave before I get that pie to you."

Nick nodded, and watched her walk back into the shop. Then continued on down the road.

The sheriff's office came up ahead of her, and she could see several children and even some of the younger adults, gathered around the front door. It was often that someone besides the local drunks were tossed into a cell, and Avery was probably enjoying the attention of the lookie loos. As she tied up Goliath she wondered what she was going to do inside, until she identified the man she would just be a lookie loo as well. She needed to grab his attention enough to keep him away from the fact that she wanted to sneak a peek at the prisoner. Clearing her throat, she unbutton the top button on her shirt, and pulled her hair down from it's ponytail, and took her hat off.

As she stepped near the front of the office, she looked down at the children. "Shoo, get out of here. This is no place for ya all to be sitting around."

"But, Nicky…" One of the younger boys began.

"No, get out of here and don't let me catch you 'round here."

As they ran off, Nick stepped into the office, Avery had his feet up on his desk. He grinned and pulled his feet down.

"Well, Miss Nicolette, I thought that was your voice. What are you doing here?"

"Came to say my goodbyes to you, Avery."

He rose his eyebrow, and frowned, "Goodbye?"

She nodded, trying to look over at the cell without Avery's knowledge. "Yes, I'll be leaving Honeycomb in a couple of days."

She could see the man, but he was nothing more then a shadow. It wasn't until he looked over at her that she realized it was him. He sat in the small cell on the cot, and his eyes were full of anger and worry.

"Who you got in that cell?" Nick asked, before he could question her anymore about her leaving.

"Found him coming into town, blood covering his shirt. He's got guns that match the description of a murderer in Blue Hills. I'm keeping him until the Blue Hill's sheriff and a couple witnesses can come down and identify him." Avery grinned.

"Matching guns? It's practically impossible to match a gun, Avery."

He cleared his throat and glared up at her, "Sheriff Devlin in front of the prisoner, Miss Nicolette," he mumbled.

Nick folded her arms, "What makes you so sure?"

"Got this flier says Remington gun with ivory handle."

"And his guns were a Remington?"

He shook his head, "No, but you never know in the heat of the moment people might confuse guns."

She walked closer to the cell and looked the man over, she was sure he recognized her, by the way his face softened.

"Don't get too close, Miss Nicolette, you never know what they will do." He said standing up.

"What's his name?" She asked.

"He won't say, he hasn't said a damn thing since I arrested him."

"Avery, I know this man."

"Do you now?"

Turning around, she gave a nod. "Yesterday evening, I was out in the field alone and wolves came up and attacked one of the calves. I shot a few, but my rifle jammed, this gentleman shot the others, saved my life."

Avery laughed, and slapped his knee.

"What I am trying to say, Avery…" He stopped laughing and glared at her when she called him by his first name. "is that it just ain't possible that this man came from Blue Hills. He came in from the east, and if he was coming from Blue Hills, he would have to come in from the west."

Avery grinned, "Listen here, Nicolette, do I tell you how to bake a pie? Or sew a mighty fine shirt?"

Nick folded her arms, "I don't do either, so I would suspect you wouldn't."

His grin turned into a smile, "Let the law be left to men, now, Miss Nicolette, and we will leave all the woman stuff to you."

Putting on her hat that she had in her hands she frowned, and then pulled her leather strap from her belt, putting her hair in a ponytail."You sure know how to offend a lady, Avery."

Hissmile faded, "Now, now, no need to take it personally, Nicolette. Just some things are a man's work."

Her eyes gave off an angry glare as she walked towards the door. Avery jumped between her and the door.

"Alright, alright, now, no need to go rushing off angry. What can I do to make it up for you?"

"Not a damn blasted thing, you dullard, you mongrel. Now, get out of my way."

"Watch your mouth, no one wants to hear such things from a lady. Now, come on, let me make it up to you."

Nick saw an opportunity and grinned, "Alright, Sheriff Devlin. Mrs. Beacon is baking some pie, why don't you run over there and get us both a slice."

Avery smiled, "And you'll stay here?"

"I promise."

Turning around he opened the door, and headed down the street. Nick turned around to the man in the cell, and grinned.

"Now, that we are alone." Nick said, walking over she grabbed the desk chair and placed it in front of the cell. "Seems you've gotten yourself in quite a pickle, now haven't you?" She grinned when he didn't respond. "You know after you helped me last night I just couldn't stop thinking about the fact that I knew I saw you somewhere before."

He looked over at her, his frown deepened.

"Did you know that you have a fifty thousand dollar reward over your head, Mister Norcliff?"

He said nothing only kept his frown, and leaving his elbows leaning against his knees.

"That's quite a sum isn't it? That much money could stop a man from working another day in his life, ain't that right, Mister Norcliff?"

"I am not Norcliff, leave me be."

"Oh, you are not, are you? Tatius Norcliff doesn't ring a bell at all, does it?" Nick grinned. "Well if that's the case, guess there is no need to break you out of here. Because you'll be free soon enough, and you won't mind if I told the Sheriff who I think you were, so that a Federal Sheriff could come out and identify you?" Nick stood up and put the chair back, "I mean if you aren't then it's only another week in the cell, and if you are well then that's fifty thousand dollars in my pocket, isn't it?" She grinned, and walked over towards the door.

"Alright, what if I am Norcliff?"

Nick smiled, "Well, if you are then I got business with you."

"I don't discuss business while I'm locked up." He stared at her for a moment, and watched her fold her arms. "If I am Norcliff how do you suspect to get me out of here?"

"This is a small town, sheriff is the only lawman here right now, his deputy is riding out to Blue Hills. Trust me when I say you are unguarded, I'll be by tomorrow to spring you out." She smiled.

"Alright, but if you are playing me for a fool, lady, I'll…"

"Don't insult a future employer, Mister Norcliff." She smiled, as she put her hand on the door knob.

"Name's Tate." He mumbled.

She smiled, and stepped outside. "Tell Avery that I said you could have my slice of pie. I have a whole pie coming to me, already." With that she winked, and shut the door.

Tate grinned, he didn't know how it happened, but whenever he was in a cell or on the chopping block, he had always been saved. Sometimes it came in the strangest form, like this cattle Kate. She sure was pretty enough, and the Sheriff seemed to be a little sweet on her. He didn't believe that she could get him out, but then again, he had a lot of people who helped him out before that didn't seem to fit the part.

The door opened again and a white hat cowboy stepped inside, he walked over to Tate's cell.

"Excuse me," He began, taking his hat off and nervously playing with it in his hands, "was M-m-m-miss Beldin s-s-s-speaking with you?"

Tate folded his arms and glared at the boy, "Don't bother me, boy."

"I just w-w-w-wanted to know what b-b-b-business she had with you."

"Ask her for yourself, now get lost."

Placing his hat back on his frowned, "D-d-d-don't be talking to Miss Beldin no m-m-m-more."

"Or else what?" Tate snarled and leaned forward so he could get a better look at the boy.

"Or else, I'll…"

"Miss Nicolette, pies weren't done yet…." Avery said stepping in and looking around the room. "What you doing in here, Andy? Don't be talking to him, ain't no reason to be. Get out!"

He was more angry that Nick had left, then the fact that Andy was in their talking with a prisoner. He knew she was going to pull something on him, and when he slammed the door on Andy he looked over at the prisoner. "She talk to you?"

Leaning over Tate spit on the floor, near his desk.

"You'll be wearing a collar soon enough." Avery hissed, meaning that they were going to hang him.