Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 6

Nick didn't understand exactly what she had done, but standing there knowing she was facing a top notch hired killer, she felt revenge spark in her heart. She felt ashamed that it was even there, but when she realized who she was all she could imagine was Brody paying for that he had done to her family. She, also, had no idea how she realized that he was Tatius Norcliff, it had to be the guns, they were what the bounty asks for to prove his death. They were rare guns, his likeness on the notices didn't look much like him at all. Shaking her head, she looked up at the ranch as it appeared over the horizon.

She hated looking at it, and was glad tomorrow would be the last day she would ever set her eyes on it. The ranch was nothing more then a place of death and misery. She probably could of gotten more from William had she held out, but she just wanted to leave. What he offered was more then enough for her to live well enough for the rest of her days.

Rock waved her over when she got near the fences with a frown, dug deeply into his face. "So, you and Andy just ride off and not tell me where ya all are going?"

"What? Andy left too?"

He nodded, keeping his frown.

"I told him to stay here and tell you that I was going into town real quick if you asked."

"Think that's him." Rock pointed to the man riding up the road.

"Excuse me." Nick turned Goliath around and rode out to Andy.

He sighed, "Look, I had to run into t-town right quick." In one of his hands with Miss Beacon's pie.

"Andy, you should of waited for me to get back or had me pick up whatever it was you were going to get." Nick snapped, "You put Rock in serious danger, what if the wolves would have attacked, who would have been here to help protect him and the herd. God damn it, Andy, if this isn't the dumbest thing you've ever done!"

"Now, don't you go y-y-yelling at me, Nick." Andy barked, and handed her the pie. "I w-w-want to know what b-b-b-business you had with that p-p-prisoner at the j-j-jailhouse."

Nick's frown deepened, "You were watching me, how dare you, Andrew Kent." Turning her horse around she rode to the camp, where she put down the pie, and went out to the field. She didn't speak to Rock nor Andy for the rest of the evening, leaving them the chat amongst themselves during dinner time.

Nick spent the time trying to decide how she would get Tate out of the cell. She had to go when Avery was away, he always left all his keys in the office, so it wouldn't be any trouble actually getting Tate out. The only problem is making sure that no one spots them, and that the two horses are ready. She knew where they kept prisoner's horses, and could easily get past old Melvin who took care of them, he spent most of his time sleeping.

Her only problem was getting Avery out of the office long enough to sneak Tate out, and get themselves far enough away so that Avery wouldn't know which way to follow. She spent the night thinking about her plan, and praying it would all go accordingly. Nothing ever had, but she hoped that they could get enough distance between them and Honeycomb. That was her only desire for the next day, and she hoped that God would be willing to allow her this.

---***---
By lunchtime the next day, William's men had come to the ranch. Andy and Rock showed them around, while Nick packed up the last of her items. Today would be the day to end all the days before, and a new time, a new life was about to start. She wouldn't see Honeycomb ever again, at least that is what she thought as she packed up Goliath and called Boss to her side. She didn't say goodbye to either Andy nor Rock, just a wave and then rode off into town. She knew they both were wondering if she would be back to say her farewells, but she had had enough of those.

Stopping by the bank, she picked up her deed, and rode over to Randall's shop. William stood in front with a grin on his face, as they handed off the deed for the money. She didn't speak to him, only nodded when he thanked her. It felt like she was passing on her life to another, selling it for the five thousand five hundred dollars. The excitement of a new life and the sorrow of the death of her old life filled her heart to the point that she didn't know what to feel, or how to act as she walked away from William.

But as she stuffed the money into a pouch on Goliath's saddle, she looked towards the sheriff's office. The door was open which meant that Avery was in. It was time for the second half of her day, first she headed over to the stables. She remembered seeing Tate's horse the day he came by the ranch, and knew it was a tan horse with a white strip across it's face. Melvin was fast asleep with his legs up as she approached, his hearing was nearly gone and it was all he could to do gather enough energy in the morning to feed the horses. She knew it would be safe to go inside and saddle the horse up.

Leading both her horse and Tate's horse to the side of the office. Boss was getting uneasy as this wasn't normal activity for him, and Nick told him to sit while she tried to think of a way to get Avery out of the office. Buddy and the boys were playing outside the saloon, which gave her an idea. Running back to Randall's shop, she bought a small bag of candy. Randall thought it was odd for her to be buying candy after making such a big sale, she could tell by the way he stared at her curiously. She didn't answer his stares, only left the shop and walked up to the boys.

"Hey, Nicky." The boys greeted her with large smiles when they saw her candy bag.

"Hey there, boys. I got a deal to make with ya all, but you got to promise me you'll never tell a soul."

They looked among each other and then nodded their heads, Buddy being the spokesmen answered, "We promise."

"Hell has a special place for those who break a promise, you know that boys?"

Again they all nodded.

"Alright then, I'm going to give you this bag of candy." Their eyes lit up, "And I want you to somehow get Sheriff Devlin out of the office, for at least an hour. Think you can manage?"

Buddy grinned, "That ain't no problem, Nicky, but we'd have to break our promise about singing that song about you."

"Alright, I give you permission this one time, but after that you won't make mention of me again."

"He'll be out in a jiffy."

"I'd recommend you boys hide that candy so he doesn't take it away, before you get him out."

They agreed as they ran off, hiding the candy under the stairs of the saloon. Nick took her place around the corner of the office, and before she was even in position the boys started their chant and playing their harmonica.

"Sheriff Devil, he ain't picky, he'll go and kiss on Nicky…" One of the boys picked up a small rock and threw it into the office, that was all it took for Avery to come storming out.

"Hey, you little brats, get your rear ends over here." He yelled, normally they would, but this time they ran.

Buddy blew a raspberry at him before he took off down the road.

As soon as Avery's back was turned and he was heading down the road after them, Nick snuck towards the office. Boss barked a few times, and she had to tell him to hush before anyone took notice of them. When he finally settled down she kept her slow pace towards the office, Boss ignored her order for him to stay and followed her.

"Miss Nicolette." A familiar voice called out.

Nick could see Lily walking towards her, a smile planted firmly on her face. She did her best to greet the old woman without acting suspicious.

"It's good to see you, darling." Lily looked her over, "I heard that you sold the ranch, you would think you'd buy a new dress now. No reason to be wearing men's clothing anymore, you know?"

"I know, and I promise to buy one as soon as I am settled down in my new home." Nick could see Tate's cell through the window, if she turned her head slightly to the right. He was watching her, sitting on the bed very calmly, with his arms crossed.

"New home? Oh sweet lord, are you and Robbie finally tying the knot? You know me and Teresa always said you two would make a perfect pair. He's just the man to settle you down and make a good wife and mother out of you." Lily rubbed Nick's upper arm.

Looking into the old woman's eyes, she frowned. "No, I am not marrying Avery. I plan on leaving Honeycomb in a while, maybe move to a large city." Nick kept looking down the road hoping that Avery wouldn't come back. Boss sat at her feet wagging his tail wildly, and barking whenever he saw movement.

"Leaving? Oh dear me, that makes me so sad, and I am sure Robbie will just be heartbroken. You can't leave, Miss Nicolette, now you reconsider, you hear me?"

Nick opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by the familiar sound of Patricia's voice.

"Grandmother, we should go home now, the boys are waiting on their lunch."

Lily waved at Patricia who was standing by the cart. Reaching over she kissed Nick on the cheek, "Don't you leave without saying goodbye, and if things don't work out, you come right back here. I always have a bed for you."

"Thank you, Miss Lily."

"God bless." She said as she walked away.

Nick waited for her to get into the cart and ride away, then stepped inside of the jailhouse. Tate stood up, and walked towards the front of his cell. He was antsy from being locked up for so long, and tried to hide a grin as she sashay over to the desk and pulled out the sheriff's keys, Boss walking beside her. First she unlocked the safe, pulling out Tate's guns and holster. Her eyes shot up when the boys ran past the office. The office doors were opened and there were large windows, Avery could see her if he looked. It wouldn't look good for her to be holding Tate's guns and his keys, she held her breath as Avery ran past. He made no effort to look into the office, kept in toe with the boys, yelling something about blistering their hides. Nick let go of her breath, and dropped the keys on the desk. Turning around she opened the closet and pulled out the clothing hanging in it, Tate's hat, jacket, and vest were among them. Boss grabbed his jacket, and Nick played a game of tug of war with him for a moment.

"Bad dog." She whispered and thumped him on the head.

Walking closer to the cells, she grabbed the cell keys off the wall. Boss continued to nip at his jacket, as Nick walked over to his cell.

"Hello." She smiled, as she passed the guns through the bars and then opened the cell door. "Follow me, and keep your eyes out for the sheriff. I don't know how long those boys can keep him chasing after them."

Tate said nothing only gave a quick nod, and took the clothes she offered him, and quickly threw them on. In a matter of seconds, they were out the door heading towards the horses. It took no more then a couple minutes for them to be mounted, Nick turned to Boss and opened her arms up.

"Up." She commanded, and Boss leapt into the air for Nick to catch him. She placed him in front of her and grabbed the reigns.

"To the south." She ordered Tate, and he tried not to laugh at the dog riding on the saddle with her.

Taking off towards the south, they continued to ride for an hour at full speed. Occasionally Nick had to slow Goliath so that Tate could catch up with them. When she felt there was enough distance they stopped, and she turned her horse towards him and grinned.

Dropping Boss onto the ground, he landed with a thud, but it didn't seem to concern Nick. The dog only walked over to a tree and began to relieve himself.

"Now, we discuss business, Mister Norcliff." Nick kept her grin.

Tate glared at her for a moment, "If you want me to kill that sheriff, I'll do it for free."

Nick smiled, "Wouldn't dream of having Avery killed, he may not be a good man, but he's a damn good sheriff. No, I'm looking to have a man named Richard Brody in Redrock put out of my misery."

His eyes stayed on her, and he looked down at the horse, "Well, if you think laying on your back for me is payment enough it won't be, but it might get you started."

Her cockiness faded and she frowned, "Keep on dreaming, Mister Norcliff, ain't no lady like me even going to lay down for a man like you." The insult caused Tate to look up from his horse giving her his most angry glare, but Nick paid no mind to his look, she was use to such things from Rock. "I'll pay you five hundred dollars."

"Two fifty now, and two fifty when it's done. It'll take ten to thirteen days to get to Redrock, so I should be back in a months time."

Nick's frowned deepened, "Now, listen here, Mister Norcliff, you need to be silent while your job is explained to you. I'm coming with you, and I want to be the one to take care of Brody, your job is to get me to him. That may mean killing men that might be in my way."

"I don't ride with no one, especially women. Don't have time to protect you."

Reaching into her pouch she pulled out the two hundred and fifty dollars, and held it up for him to see. "I don't need your protection, Mister Norcliff, just you helping me to get my hands on Mister Brody. Everything else in between is for me to take care of when it occurs."

Tate reached out his hand and snatched the money, counting it over. "You know this isn't a rich girl cart ride, you aren't going to be able to dine or sleep in comfort, Miss Beldin."

"I'm a rancher, I've spent three months on the road every year for the past ten years, I think I can manage."

He smiled widely, "Then we should head out now, before your sheriff realizes which way we went and catches up."

"Sounds fine to me, after you, Mister Norcliff." Nick pulled her horse out of the way, and allowed him to pass. "Up." She ordered Boss again, and catch him when he leapt up.

Tate grinned as he rode up ahead, this would be an interesting little journey for him. Nothing would please him more then to see this little girl get more then she could handle, and run home crying. He planned on making this a difficult journey for her, and enjoying putting this cattle Kate in her place. There was no reason for a woman to act like a man in this day and age, and he was going to show her that he was no one's employee. He did favors for money, and he didn't take orders from anyone, especially a damnable rich girl with an sassy attitude. Who did she think she was anyway bringing a dog? Tate shook his head and tried not to laugh at the mere memory of that dog leaping up into her arms.

That money she pulled from her pouch, made him think there had to be more in there. At least there would be another two hundred fifty dollars for his second payment, and enough to keep her fed on the journey there, cause she would be crazy to think the he was going to feed her. He decided that he was going to take her throw a few passes where known bandits hung around waiting for their next victims, if she died then he could take her money pouch. If she lived, well there were other bandits.

---***---
The winds of fall were starting to blow as they rode, trying to run as long as the horses would allow it. The more road they got better them and the sheriff, the safe they would be. Once they slowed their speed, Nick kept her eyes ahead of her and didn't speak a word to him. Tate was a surprised that she wasn't interested in jabbering on, he had ridden with men who wanted to speak any moment they got a chance.

Once in a while, her dog would whine and she would pet him gently on the head. When night began to fall on them, they stopped and built up a small camp fire. She took the saddle and harness of her horse, and let him loose. The dog seemed content to watch the horse and make sure it didn't wander too far away from camp.

Tate only allowed his horse to eat at certain times, and then put it's bit back in. It had to be ready to go at anytime, obviously this girl didn't understand that she had helped an outlaw escape which made her one too. Sitting down, around the camp fire he pulled out some of his dry, old bread that he kept in a pouch on the saddle of his horse.

Nick pulled out a few strips of beef jerky, and began chewing. Tate wondered why she hadn't spoken a word yet, and strangely enough it was making him uneasy with her. What was it that she was planning? He had never met a woman yet, who didn't want to talk until she put the man straight asleep. Even the brothel girls would chat away trying to get more money out of the lonely customers.

After a few moments had passed of him worrying about her not talking, he realized that she was eating better then him. He had old bread that was extremely hard to chew, and even worst to taste. His eyes were on her beef jerky, and he wondered how he could get him some without having to ask for it. He could just reach over and take a chunk, girl would probably be too frighten to tell him to give it back. Well, any average girl, this one might go get her rifle.

Nick noticed him staring at her handful of jerky, she grabbed two strips and held them out to him. Tate looked at them, and then turned his back towards her. Now she thought he couldn't afford to feed himself, the nerve of some women.

"I'll trade you some of my jerky for some of your bread." Nick offered with a mouthful full of jerky.

Tate turned towards her, and looked down at the jerky she was still holding out. A trade, well, obviously she wanted some grain to help wash down her meat. "Alright." He reached back into his pouch and pulled off another chunk.

Nick put the jerky on his leg and took the bread from him with a grin.

"I was going into your town to get some more supplies, but that's when the sheriff caught me." Tate felt he had to somehow explain why he didn't have any real food for himself.

She nodded, "Well, next town we come to, I can run in and grab you some food."

"I can buy my own damn food, woman."

Nick looked up from the bread, there was some mold in the center. "I didn't say that you couldn't, I was only offering because you are a known outlaw. It would be safer for me to run in and get the supplies, then for you to do so. Otherwise, I might be breaking you out of jail again."

Tate frown deepened, "I've gotten along just fine without your help up until now."

"Yeah, well getting along doesn't mean it was easy. Besides, I paid you money to get me to Redrock, and we aren't going to impair your ability to get me there. It's just safer for me to go in, and that's that." Nick threw the bread behind her, and Boss ran up to eat it.

He watched the dog consume his bread, and crossed his arms, "Now you listen here, I don't take orders from nobody, and don't you think cause you are paying me that makes me your servant."

"Alright, and you listen here, just because you are a stubborn, arrogant fool doesn't mean that you can make things harder on me. I didn't pay you money to go into a busy town and get caught, and therefore this way is the best and easiest way. And as the employer we do things my way. I don't care if you aren't accustom to taking orders, it's the way things are, so get use to it, Mister Norcliff." Nick bit into her jerky, "Or you can just give me my money back and ride off now."

He kept his glare on her, "I could just kill you now, and take all your money."

"Do it then." Nick looked over at her saddle where her rifle was, "My rifle is all the way over there, you got plenty of time to fill me full of holes."

Not saying another word, he leaned against the tree stump and put his hat over his eyes.

"Good, you talk to damn much." Nick snorted, then stood up, wiping her pants off and began walking into the darkness, she had to relieve herself.

"Where the hell are you going?" Tate asked, pulling his hat off.

"None of your business."

Shrugging, he put the hat back over his eyes, "Don't blame me if you get attacked then."

"As if you would come and save me." Nick shouted back.

Tate just grinned, keeping his eyes closed.

---***---
Morning wasn't much different then the night before, Nick was awake long before Tate opened his eyes. She didn't trust him, and he knew it. She was feeding her dog some of her beef jerky, when he took the hat away from his eyes. Reaching into his pouch he pulled the last strip of jerky that Nick gave him out, and began to gnaw at it.

Nick didn't seem to pay any attention to the fact that he had awaken, which both pleased and bothered him. She had looked at him, but didn't bother saying good morning or being pleasant at all. Her eyes told him that she was annoyed that he had even woken up. Nothing Tate hated more then a woman that let all her feeling be spoken through her eyes, if she had something to say then she should say it, not let him guess by the look on her face.

"Waste of your food to feed it to that dog." Tate snapped, which he finished his piece of jerky and realized the dog had had four strips already.

"If you want some more, Mister Norcliff, all you need do is ask." She gave Boss his last piece and then whistled which called Goliath to her side.

"I don't need anything from you, woman." Tate snapped, and walked over to his horse which still had it's bit in it's mouth.

Nick shook her head when he took the horse reigns.

"You know this ain't the ranch, you need to have your horse saddled and ready to ride at a moments notice." Tate said chewing on a piece of bread, and watching her place the bite in the giant black horse's mouth.

"I don't need gear to ride Goliath, I use it for comfort, more then control, Mister Norcliff."

He snorted, "You tell me that you can ride that horse bareback?"

Picking up the saddle, Nick glared over at him. "That's exactly what I am telling you." With that she put the saddle on Goliath, and fastened it.

"Like hell you can." Tate barked, and checked to make sure he had all his gear and then mounted his horse.

Nick mounted Goliath, "I would love to show you, but perhaps another time. We should get moving." Her head turned towards Boss, who was sniffing the area that Tate had slept in. "Come along, Boss."

Turning his head, he ran up beside Goliath, and trotted along as they continued south. The journey was a silent one, no one had anything to say to each other, and they both seemed to be content with that. Tate had seen a fire in the distance during the night that wasn't too far behind them. If it had been the sheriff he would of noticed their fire and probably road up. He decided that it must have been some other travelers on their way to who knows where.

After three hours of riding, Nick stopped her horse when she saw the town in the distance. "I'll run in for supplies you stay out here."

Tate frowned and spit near Boss.

"Look, Mister Norcliff, I'm not going to have this discussion with you again." Her eyes went to Boss, "Stay, Boss."

"What you going to have him guard me?" Tate laughed.

"No, he can get a little out of hand around crowds, he's a herding dog, and when he sees a lot of one thing moving around, he likes to keep order." Nick started towards the town, then turned her head, "Not everything is about you, Mister Norcliff."

Tate bowed his head for a moment, and then shot it back up, "Wait, how much money should I give you for my supplies?"

"Don't worry about it, I'll let you know when I get back." Nick shouted and then rode towards the town before Tate could object.

Looking down at the dog, Tate frowned. "Why the hell do I feel like I'm one of the dogs too?"

---***---
The town bustled with people, there was barely enough space for Nick to ride Goliath through. The lumber yard was right in the middle of the city, in Honeycomb it was far out so that the noise wouldn't bother anyone. Nick was amazed at all sorts of businesses that were within the main city area, where in her home town they were placed further away. She thought there wasn't a single person that wasn't outside, as she rode through. The blacksmith shop and stables were the first buildings she came to. There was more then one street, unlike Honeycomb which the main city was a long street of buildings.

After spending thirty minutes looking around, Nick saw four posters for Tate posted all around the city. All she wanted was to hurry along and buy the supplies and get out of here before someone road out and spotted Tate. Finally she eyed the sheriff, a ways down the road. She road up to the middle aged gentleman who was leaning against a pillar, talking with his deputies.

"Excuse me, gentlemen." Nick said with a large smile, and noticed a wanted poster for Tatius Norcliff right behind one of the deputy's head.

They all looked her over and seemed to be disgusted by the way she was dressed, but she knew it would be her smile and charm that would hopefully win them over. Some people wouldn't even respond to her. She learned long ago, that no man can turn down a damsel in distress as long as she had a smile and spoke to them like she was nothing more then some sweet southern bell. What she was wearing wouldn't mean a thing, once they thought they were needed.

"Yes, ma'am, what can we do for you?" The sheriff finally asked.

"My name's Miss Nicolette Beldin, and I've just road into town. Been an awful long journey, and I'm just about out of provisions. This town of yours is awful big, and I just can't seem to find myself a store to buy my supplies. Could any of you be so kind as to tell me where I could find one?"

The sheriff kept his frown, "Miss Beldin…

"Nicolette, please." Nick smiled again.

It caused the man to blush a little, and look down towards his boots. "Miss Nicolette, you can find Peter's store just down the road and to the left. He's got a big sign up, and its right across the street from the Dry Mouth Saloon." The sheriff looked up at her and smiles.

"Well, thank you, sheriff. I am much obliged." Looking over to the other lawmen, she smiled. "Gentlemen." She bowed her head.

"Miss Nicolette." They all bowed their hats slightly as she road away.

Peter's store appeared to the left, and Nick climbed off Goliath and threw his reigns near the horse's trough, she pulled out five dollars out of Goliath's pouch. Walking into the store, she saw a young man no older then her standing behind the counter.

"Well, hello." Nick smiled as she stepped up to him.

There were several people in the store, poking around, trying to decide what they wanted to buy. Near the door was yet another poster for Tate, and Nick was starting to get a little worried about him being so close to the town.

"Hello, ma'am." The young man said.

"You must be Peter."

He grinned, "No, ma'am, I'm Albert, his son. He's not feeling well today, so I am handling the store."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Albert. My name is Nicolette. Do you happen to have some jerky, bread, and cheese?"

"Yes ma'am, all three. How much would you like?"

Looking up at the shelves, she smiled and looked back down at him. "Oh, just give me five dollars worth, try to make them even in each."

He stared at her for a moment, "You sure you want five dollars worth, ma'am? That's enough to last you a while."

"Oh, I have a traveling companion, who eats too." Nick smiled.

"Alright, Miss Nicolette."

"Oh, I've seemed to forgot my pouch."

He waved his hand as he was getting out the jerky, "No problem, I have an old grain bag that'll do you for a short bit."

"Thank you, Albert."

After a few moments Albert offered her the bag, and she handed him the five dollar bill. "Thank you very much,
Albert. Now you take care, and I'll make sure to pray for your pa."

"Thank you, ma'am, you be careful out there."

Nick smiled again, and waved as she left.

Stepping out into the board path, Nick stared at several people tried to calm Goliath who was kicking anything that came near him.

"Goliath!" She barked, and whistled.

The horse immediately calmed down, and walked towards her. She grabbed his reigns and pet his nose, allowing him to calm down.

"What in the lord's name in going on here?" Nick asked and looked over at the sheriff and several of his men.

"Your horse just went mad, ma'am." The sheriff told her, as another dirty looking man seemed to try and hide behind him.

"Like hell, he did. Who was trying to get in my pouches or ride my horse?" She put her hands on her hips, and looked directly at the dirty man behind the sheriff, "Go on show yourself, who was it?"

No one stepped forward and the dirty man, only continued to quiver behind the sheriff.

"Very well then, you know who you are. Consider yourself real lucky that Goliath didn't trample you to death." Nick snapped, and tied her bag to Goliath's saddle. "And the next time you want something of someone else's consider asking first." With that she mounted her horse, and looked over at the sheriff. "You should be ashamed for protecting a thief, Sheriff. He won't ever learn if you don't teach him, that's your job."

With that Nick headed back out towards Tate. The sheriff turned to the dirty man and frowned, "Hud, what the hell were you thinking? Stealing from a woman, she knew it was you too. You are lucky she wasn't interested in pushing it, don't let me catch you getting into trouble again, or else you'll be in the jail house for a long time."

"Sorry, Sheriff, but she had a pouch with money in it. I thought…"

"I don't care, and don't tell me."