Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 8

Nick's eyes were the first to open, she couldn't sleep when the sun was shining, at least not when she had a good night's sleep. It was a trait she got from her father, and one she was sure was keeping her one step ahead of Tate. Standing up, she dusted off the back of her pants and looked around the area. She hadn't been able to tell where they were when they had first made camp, but now she could clearly see the path leading them south. A thin gathering of trees, and their camp was in the center of a clearing. It never cease to amaze her how beautiful the world was, that was the main reason she loved going on the cattle drive. She could see all the beauty of the world, and ignore all the ugliness that people had brought to it.

Walking towards Goliath, she heard someone stir behind her. Andy sat up, his eyes were vacant and he seemed to still be sleeping. Nick knew better, that was his morning face. He was still trying to gather up his sense and come through to the real world. She must of woke him when she was dusting off her pants. He was a light sleeper, kept his eyes out for the horses, as most of the time he slept in the stable back at the ranch.

Andy watched Nick approach Goliath, she ran her hands over his face and back. He loved to be massaged, and she did it often enough. It was the way they had bonded thirteen years ago, he loved to see how the giant horse was nothing more then a kitten in Nick's hands.

"Says she can ride that thing bareback." Tate deep angry voice broke through, causing Andy to look away from Nick.

"She can."

Tate gave him a look of disbelief, and snorted.

"She got him when she was still y-young, and r-rode him bareback when they were b-both little. She was eleven I guess t-t-then, but he w-w-was a big foal. H-horse was never broken, he didn't need to be, he a-allowed Nick to ride him and that was all that m-m-mattered." Andy reached into his pouch and pulled out some jerky.

"You telling me that horse can't be ridden by nobody but her?" He asked, being reminded that he was hungry as well, and reached for his own jerky.

"You c-can ask Rock, h-he'll tell you about his m-month long stay in b-bed after r-riding him."

Taking a bit off his jerky, he stared at Andy for a while as he chewed, "Why do you talk like that?"

Andy was both angered and ashamed by Tate's question, and almost got up to storm off, but he decided it would be best to inform the stranger now. "S-s-stutter when I'm n-nervous or up-upset. More I s-s-stutter the more I am."

"Which are you now nervous or upset?"

"Y-y-you make me n-nervous, Mister N-Norcliff."

Tate gave a nod, "Alright, I can live with that." His eyes wandered over to Rock, whose large body was nothing but a pile of mush. His snore was still loud, and occasionally had made Boss howl. "What kind of name is Rock?"

"N-nickname." Andy answered. "His n-name is Daniel Rockwell. G-g-girls back home c-called him Danny."

"She doesn't." Tate pointed at Nick.

"N-nick ain't no girl, either."

He grinned and looked at Nick, who was still stroking Goliath. "So, you and her have something going then?"

"Huh?" Andy's eyes went between Nick and Tate for a moment, "Oh, no, s-she's my sister, sort of."

"Sort of?"

Andy gave a nod, and didn't answer his question.

Boss walked up and sat down beside Tate, he laid his head down on the man's lap. For a moment, Tate allowed it and then pushed the dog off him.

"S-seems to like you." Andy giggled.

"Well, I don't like him." Tate snapped, and then looked over at Boss. Before he could say another word the dog licked his across the lips.

Flying onto his feet, Tate spit and cussed, causing Boss to run over to Nick for safety.

"That damn dog of yours licked my mouth!" Tate roared, his loud tone didn't even shake Rock.

Nick smiled and leaned over to pet the dog, giving him a kiss on his head. "He likes you, geeze, I wouldn't take you as a man who couldn't even like a dog."

His eyes shifted between Nick and Andy, "I don't like anybody or anything, I like being alone!"

Folding her arms, she watched Tate stomp the ground. Walking over to Rock, he shoved him with his foot. "Get up, boy. You are making us waste sunlight."

Yawning, Rock sat up, not even upset that Tate had just kicked him in the side. "Morning." He said to Andy, who nodded his head.

"We've got to get moving, saddle up and let's go." Tate barked the order, and without any arguments everyone prepared their horses.

Tate was already mounted by the time the other three were ready, he huffed every chance that he got to show he was angry. With Rock and Andy here, Nick decided that she didn't need to be as mean and tough as she had been portraying herself to be around the outlaw. When everyone was done, she rode up to Tate and smiled widely.

"Alright, we are all ready, Mister Norcliff."

Without a word he started heading down the road, Nick rode up beside him and gave him another smile. Boss walked along the side of Goliath, keeping his nose ready to check for any strange smells.

"What?" Tate asked, looking over at her.

"Nothing."

After a few moment, Tate started getting annoyed with her riding side by side with him, if he sped up so would she. "Is there a reason you are riding next to me?"

Nick stared at him for a moment, seeming to try and decide what it was he wanted. Without another word, she slowed down, allowing Tate to take the lead. She was use to riding up front with her father during the drives. It was strange that after all this time of being the leader, she would now be the one following behind.

---***---
Avery stepped outside of the office when he heard the sound of hooves. Curtis and three lawmen were tying up their horses. His deputy was smiling with pride as he ran up the stairs holding a flier. Avery kept his eyes on the three others, they each wore black vests and hats wearing a star on their chests. They gave a quick greeting as they began to walk up the steps.

Curtis began to speak, pulling Avery's attention away from the others. "I was in Blue Hills, and they told me they were sure it was a Remington, but look I saw this poster. It's him! Same guns, same face…"

Avery snatched the poster from Curtis's hands, "Tatius Norcliff." He mumbled.

"Fifty thousand dollars, sheriff. We are rich, these men have come to collect him."

Blood boiled in Avery's veins, "He ain't here."

Scratching the back of his head and licking his lips, Curtis wasn't sure what to say. "What… what do you mean he ain't here, Sheriff?"

"I mean that someone broke him out couple days ago. I checked the area but he ain't anywhere near here, all I know was he was heading south."

"Who could of broke him out?"

Avery was about to say Nicolette's name, but he just couldn't bring himself to making her the bad guy. He was pretty sure it was her, after the day she came in fighting to have him released. She vanished the same time he did, yeah Avery was sure of it. But who could he blame for it all, "Rock and Andy from the ranch."

Curtis covered his mouth, "Why would they…"

"Don't know, but they took Nicolette as a hostage."

"You sure about that?" One of the other men with a dark mustache asked.

Avery nodded, "Yeah, we were going to get married in the spring. If you are going after them, I would like to come."

He nodded, "Don't see any problem with that, sheriff. After all, if he took your woman, it be your place to go after him. Ain't like Norcliff to take hostages or to work with others, I've been hunting him for the past twelve years. If he's heading south, it's probably to Redrock, he's got family there. Always heads there after he's been caught, but we can never seem to find out who is hiding him."

"You don't know who his family is there?" Avery spit onto the dirt.

He shook his head, "If I did we already have him, but no one talks about who his kin is. Redrock is a large town, but if he's heading there with others, might be easy to catch him."

"You sure he's heading to Redrock?"

Putting his hands on his hips, he thought for a moment. "Can't be too sure, but be best to head out right away to make sure the trail stays fresh."

Avery nodded, "I'll saddle my horse and grab some supplies. Curtis, I'm leaving you in charge."

Curtis gave a nod, "I'll run to Randall's and grab you some food, while you saddle up."

"Thank you." Turning around he headed towards the stables.

After his horse was saddled, he rode it over to the other lawmen, and gave nod.

"Name's Paul Corbin," The mustache man said, then pointed at the blonde man behind him, "and this here is Dale Seaton, and that's Gil Derwin." His finger went to the last man with the dark hair and deep scar across his cheek.

"Robert Devlin." Avery said as Curtis ran up, holding out a small supply bag for him.

He took it and tied it to the horses saddle.

"Alright, show us where their tracks start and we will head from there. Dale is the best damn tracker, this side of Texas. Anyone can find your woman, it'll be him." Paul said, mounting his horse.

Avery wasn't so sure about that, if he was the best tracker Tatius Norcliff would already be in custody. But there was no use in arguing the point, he lead them around the office and showed them where the foot prints began. The day they had left their was mud from some light rain, and the horses left imprints that had dried up.

Jumping off his horse, Dale inspected the tracks. "Only two horses, you sure, thought you said their was four."

"I'm sure, the other two came in from behind the buildings, and met up near the south path near the woods over there." Avery pointed into the distance at the dense woods ahead.

"Looks older then a couple days." Dale said mounting his horse.

"I assure you that it's was made by them."

Spitting, Dale glared at Avery. "You best be, cause if you are leading us away, I'll…"

"Enough, Dale, the man is looking for his woman. She was taken by Norcliff, and he just wants her back. Let's go, lead on Dale."

Dale nodded, and began riding towards the south path.

Looking back at Honeycomb, Avery realized he was in for a long journey. Probably the longest he's ever been from Honeycomb, but it would be worth it. At least now when they caught this Norcliff fellow, Nicolette wouldn't be thought to be a common criminal. She had done it of that he was certain, but he had to do something to save her from herself. It was worse then he thought, this guy was a multi-murderer and his Nicolette was riding with him. She had no idea the danger she had brought upon herself.

---***---
There was a gentle wind as the four rode onward, they would only be riding for another couple of hours and then stop for the night. Nick's pride began to pain her, as she rode behind Tate. Her entire life she had ridden upfront with her father, and now this man who she was paying said she couldn't. He was her employee, she was paying him, and it wasn't as if there was more then way to ride, so it wasn't as if he had to lead. There was a path and it was heading south, it was as simple as that.

She thought about what he might do if she just rode up beside him, and when he asked her what she was doing again, she said she was taking lead. Embarrassing herself in front of Andy and Rock was the last thing that she wanted to do, but she was doing just that riding with him, instead of up front.

Taking a deep breath, she realized that Andy and Rock were still riding behind her. For a moment it made her feel better, her eyes went ahead of Tate. The path was heading into a light woods, she wondered how long it would be before they ran into the next town. Not that she needed anything, but it would be nice to get away from everyone and run into a city.

She had many a times spent months on the road with four or more men at a time, but her father was always there to hush their taunts. They didn't dare insult their employer's daughter. Tate, well, he wasn't afraid of her firing him, as a matter of a fact he would probably welcome it. Sadly, Nick knew that just by helping him, both she and her two friends had become outlaws. They didn't know how to live within the shadows, and knew she needed to learn as much about Tate's way of life, while he was still with them. She didn't want to say it, but she needed Tate more then he needed her.

Pulling her away from her thoughts, she heard the loud angry bark that could only of come from Boss. His body was near the ground, and he stared towards the trees. There was something or someone in those trees, and as she watched she could of sworn she saw movement.

"Tate, stop." Nick ordered, and he complied.

Turning around he stared at her as a commander awaiting to know why he had been disturbed.

"Something is in those trees."

Tate looked away from her and towards the trees, pulling out his revolver, he spit onto the ground. "Come on out, we know you are in there."

From behind her, Nick heard Andy and Rock pull their guns. They each carried a Remington revolver, all the ranch hands were given two, one for use and the other as a spare. Andy's handle was once a dark wood, but had been worn down over years of use to a lighter wood. While Rock's was still pretty new.

"Tate?" A squeaky voice said from the trees.

Tate's eyes squinted looking into the area in front of him. A thin, short man with a unshaven face stepped out with his hands in the air. It looked as if his clothes hadn't seen water in a long time, and when he smiled most of his teeth were gone.

"Dusty?" Tate questioned.

"Tate, you old bastard, I thought that was you." Dusty put his hands down and turned his head, "Hey, boys, look who I found."

Stepping out of the woods, came two more men. One looked just as old and dirty looking as Dusty, and the other had a more rough but younger look to him.

"Tate, well, I'll be!" The other dirty man yelled, and smacked the back of the younger man's shoulder. "I bet you will never guess who this is!" He said, meaning the younger man.

Tate looked the young man over, "Reggie, you've grown quite a bit since I last saw you."

Reggie smiled, "Good to see you too, Tate."

Looking back at the second dirty man, Tate laughed, "Oscar, what are you three doing out here?"

"Been a real rough time, Dusty got a sum of two thousand dollars on his head. Killed a man down south and we had to come up here to hide away."

Tate laughed, "Two thousand, is that all?"

Dusty shrugged, "Man was trying to take my whiskey away from me."

"Who you got there, Tate?" Oscar asked, pointing at Nick, but he meant the other two as well. "Thought you didn't want to ride with no partner's anymore."

"None of your business, Oscar." Tate snarled, but tried to seem like he was being friendly.

"What's this, a gal?" Dusty asked, stepping closer to get a better look. "Tell me, she's your ride along whore, Tate, and that you haven't got soft for the ladies."

"Call me a whore again, and I'll fill you full of holes." Nick snapped.

"'cuse me, ma'am, I just teasing an ole' friend."

"No, she's not a whore, but she can act like one, sometimes." Tate laughed, trying to stop any conversation between Nick and Dusty before it started.

Nick's eyes glared deep at Tate, and when his eyes caught hers, he looked down for a moment a little embarrassed about his jest.

"Come over and share our camp, Tate. We can always have more company, sun going down soon." Oscar offered.

Tate shook his head, "No, there is still plenty of sunlight to ride by, and we are in a hurry."

"Oh, you were always in a hurry. Come on, catch up with your ole' friends, and introduce us to your new ones."

"We are hardly his friends." Nick said, her pride a little hurt from Tate's words.

"Oh, so don't call you a whore and don't call you Tate's friend, got it." Oscar smiled. "These the biggest no-no's to be talking to you?" Nick grinned, "That about sums it up."

"Now, you listen here, you ain't going no where, Tate, until you come and have a drink with us." Dusty ordered, "Tie up your horses, and come over we are getting a fire going."

Tate sighed as they walked away, then looked back. "Might as well, they have whiskey, I'll bet on that."

Nick crinkled her nose up at his logic, as he rode away. Her eyes went to Andy, who gave a shrug. "If we kept riding, you think he would follow?" Nick asked.

"If we are lucky he won't." Rock snorted.

"I'm sure we will be lucky then." Andy jested, as he climbed off his horse.

Nick followed his que, leading the horses off the path and into the woods. The three men were preparing to light a fire, and they had caught a couple rabbits, which were tied up the tree hanging down over their saddles.

Around the twigs they had collected for fire were some rocks, along with a few logs they had dragged around the camp fire for sitting on. From the stench of urine that filled Nick's nostrils almost immediately, she knew that they had been camping here for a while. The woods was just thin enough that you could move around easily, but could be almost completely invisible to those riding along the road. Which made her wonder what exactly where these men doing camping for so long next to a road. It wasn't her place to ask, and so she decided to try and make this as pleasant as an experience as possible. Taking off Goliath's saddle, she let him go and took a seat on the log next to Tate who was talking to Oscar.

Reggie smiled at Nick, and took a seat near her, his effort caused Rock and Andy discomfort as they had to seat between Tate and Dusty.

"Where the hell have you been, you bastard?" Oscar begun, "How long has it been since we last saw you? God, you were what nineteen when you left to go work for ole' Max."

"Been twelve years, Oscar." Tate answered.

"Twelve years, I'll be. Seems like it was only yesterday, doesn't it? Reggie was only fourteen when you left, can't hardly believe he's gotten so big. Remember when he was that skinny twig, we use to send him through the tight spots to…" Oscar closed his mouth, and looked over at Nick.

"It's alright, they know who I am." Tate eased his worried look, "Nicolette, here, saved me from a jail cell a few days ago."

Dusty smiled, "This little thing? How could she possibly…"

"She's a lot smarter then you would think, Dusty." Tate words brought some pride to Nick's heart for a moment, in a strange way she felt it was probably the nicest compliment she had ever received. Well, the nicest she received from someone outside her family, anyway. "Sadly, her being smart means she's got a smart mouth."

Tate and the three strangers all laughed, and Rock grinned. Neither Andy nor Nick found him funny.

"Bet s-s-she's got a b-better e-e-education then you e-ever will." Andy barked, causing the laughter to die down. "N-nick read e-every night b-back at the ranch. Her mama was a sc-school teacher."

Nick suddenly felt embarrassed as all eyes went onto her, she didn't know why Andy had felt the urge to tell everyone her business, but it was to late now to stop him.

"School teacher, huh?" Tate asked turning his head slightly to look at her.

"That's right."

"What's this business of a ranch?" Dusty asked, probably more interested in the fact that she had money then anything else.

"My father was a rancher." Nick answered, "He owned a ranch."

Oscar squeezed his lips together and blew out a long stream of air, everyone went quiet as if thinking.

"That's how Mister Norcliff and I met, he saved me from a wolf attack." Nick told them, hoping it would bring their attention back to Tate. It worked, Oscar and Dusty laughed, as Reggie took another blow to the back from Oscar.

"Mister Norcliff?" Dusty laughed. "He's just plan old Tate, ain't not reason to be proper with him."

"You call friends by their first names." Nick replied.

"And Tate ain't your friend, we remember right." Dusty smiled, then turned back to Tate. "Wolves, huh? Since when did you get into the saving business? Thought you were a killer?"

He didn't say anything just glared over at Nick, who seemed satisfied with the fact that they were no longer talking to her.

"How do you know Mister Norcliff?" Nick asked.

Oscar laughed, "We met Tate when he was fifteen years old, boy had just committed his first murder."

"She don't need the details, just tell her that we rode together and be done with it." Tate snapped.

He acted like he hadn't heard a word Tate had said, "You know his father was murdered, right?"

Nick shook her head.

"He owed some money from a poker game, and the man only gave him a week before he came for him. Shot him right in front of his wife and kids, but ole' Tate here wouldn't let him get away with it."

"That's enough Oscar." Tate snapped, then turned to Nick. "I don't need to know your business, so stay the hell out of mine."

"There is no need to yell at me, Mister Norcliff, I was only listening! You want to be mad, go be mad by yourself!"

"Fine!" Tate stood up, his eyes went to Oscar, "She don't need to know my god damn business, so you shut your mouth before I put a bullet in it." With those words he walked into the woods, and out of everyone's sight.

"He's still got a temper, I see." Dusty said, "How long have you known him?"

"A few days." She answered, "You going to cook those rabbits?"

Oscar's eyes lit up, "You just reminded me! It's not much but we have plenty to go around." Jumping up he ran over to untie them, "Reggie, start that fire."

---***---
Once the rabbits were done, Tate reappeared and without a word he took his seat next to Nick again. Everyone seemed to know better then to talk while he was near and still red hot. So, Dusty cut up the meat on the two rabbits and split them evenly between everyone. Once Nick had hers she turned around and pulled out some bread and cheese from her pouch, and offered everyone a good sized piece.

Dusty took it with a smile, his mouth was full of rabbit meat. "Thank you."

Both Oscar and Reggie chimed their thanks as well.

"If you can share your food, then I can share mine." Nick smiled, then took a bit of cheese.

"You are a real kind lady, don't find many that are nice to men like us." Oscar said.

"Doesn't matter who you are, everyone should always be hospitable when the other person hasn't done you no wrong." Nick told them, and caught Tate glaring over at her. He knew that she had said that for him.

Andy and Rock had been exceptionally quiet, and Boss had laid down near Nick's saddle and fallen fast asleep. Once in a while he would whimper and kick his back feet, both Oscar and Dusty thought it was the funniest thing.

"Damn good looking dog." Reggie said, and the two men agreed.

"Annoying little bastard, who is more trouble then good." Tate barked.

"Just hush up, Mister Norcliff. We are having civilized conversation here, and we don't need your cynical comments." Nick's words made Tate more angry then he could show on his face, but stuffing a piece of cheese into his mouth, he silenced himself for the moment.

Dusty reached behind him into a pouch, once everyone was finished eating, he pulled out a large flask of whiskey. He held it up in the air for everyone to see, and gave a great big toothless smile, so that Nick could see that he had teeth in the back but not the front of his mouth.

"After a good meal, you always have to drink!"

Oscar agreed and pulled out three tin cups, "Filler up." He said holding them out, and once the first one had enough, he took a big swig of it. The old man's face puckered up, and then he gave a long ah sound. "That's good whiskey."

Dusty nodded, and laughed, taking the second cup, he did the same thing as Oscar. The third cup was handed over to Tate, who held it in his hands while they waited for him to drink it.

"In a minute, I'm a little full right now."

Oscar and Dusty seemed to understand, as they filled up the remaining two glasses. Nick watched them, interested in their rational as to why they had to drink after a good meal. She wondered if they would ask her if she wanted any, after all she was a female, they might not think she drank, but then again what would she do if they offered her some.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Tate slowly pouring the whiskey from his drink into the dirt behind the log he was sitting on. When he finished pouring his light blue eyes looked over at her, and she said nothing only looked back across the fire at the three strangers. Watching Tate pour out the whiskey it made her question if he was just trying to keep up his appearance so they didn't think he was weak. After all he left his horse's bit in, perhaps it was another way he was always ready. But then she wondered if it wasn't that at all, when she saw the way he looked over at his old friends. He didn't trust them, and the question of if it was just the way he was, not trusting anyone, or if these men just weren't meant to be trusted.

Tate offered the cup back, and Oscar took it with a smile. "Good whiskey, ain't it, Tate?"

"Sure is." He lied, looking over at Nick, she didn't seem to notice that he had just spoken to Oscar or act as if she just witnessed him dump out his whiskey. He was glad to know that she had the ability to keep her mouth shut.

"How about you, ma'am, would you like some?" Reggie asked, making Nick remember his presence.

"No, I do not drink." Nick smiled at him as he took a big swig of the whiskey.

Oscar huffed, "Dress like a man, ride like a man, but don't drink like one?"

Several comments come to her mind to fire back at him, but she remembered her father once telling her that wit is lost on those who had been drinking. Just let them say what they want, and hope you don't have to make them remember why they shouldn't mess with someone with a loaded gun.

"Then it's you two boys." Dusty said, trying to erase his friend's comment from everyone's minds. He held out the two tins to Rock and Andy.

Andy shook his head, "I don't d-drink either."

Both Dusty and Oscar acted like Teresa did when she heard a stranger take the Lord's name in vain. Their jaws dropped, and they stared at Andy like he was a deformed man, unable of logical thought.

"Boy, you've got to be joking with me. This is damn fine whiskey, and…"

"Drinking makes him stutter worse then he already does, now leave him be." Nick interrupted.
"Alright, sorry ma'am." Dusty held out the tin up to Rock, who took it.

She didn't understand why he had apologized to her, probably years of offending women made it a habit for him that he couldn't break. Andy looked over a Nick, she wasn't sure if he was angry that she had helped or grateful, whichever way it didn't matter.

"Rock, you sure you want to drink that, we have to get up early in the morning." Nick tried to put worry in her voice so that Rock could sense her concern, but he was as dense as his name.

"I'll drink when I damn want to, not even you can tell me I can't." With that he took a big swig, his face looked about hundred times worse then the old men's faces had.

Nick knew that Rock didn't drink whiskey, as a matter of a fact back on the ranch drink was prohibited when you were working, and that was everyday.

After work most people were to tired to ride into town for a drink.

"Have another, big guy." Dusty offered him the second tin up.

"I think that was enough." Tate said.

"He's his own man, he can decide when he's had enough." Dusty snapped at Tate.

"Yeah, I can decide on my own." Rock snatched the cup from him, and swallowed it down. "Yeah, you are a tall man like Tate, but…uh…"

"Bigger?" Reggie said.

"No, strapping, Tate's a thin man."

"Ain't as thin as you think, just look thinner next to him." Tate pointed to Rock.

Dusty ignored him and continued, "You need more of this to get as drunk as us." With that he pour the last of the whiskey into a tin and offered it to Rock, again he swallowed it down.

Without another word said, Tate slid off the log, and leaned against it. Putting his hat over his eyes and folding his arms up, he fell right to sleep. Nick decided that was the best idea he had had all day, and did the same.