Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 10

By day break, Avery was waiting at the stables with his horse, his eyes were fixed on the brothel down the way. He didn't want to have to go in there, but if he had to get those imbeciles that didn't understand that they were tracking a killer. No wonder they hadn't been able to catch him in twelve years. He remembered one of them saying that Norcliff always slipped through their fingers, and he smiled to himself when he thought how that was possible when the man was never even within arms reach.

The streets were nothing more then mud, and there was still a light sprinkle of rain that hit Avery's arms and head every so often. He knew that it was going to be a miserable day, and only could pray that the rain didn't erase Nick's tracks, if so then they better hope they were actually heading for Redrock.

The city streets were starting to fill with workers and those coming into town to buy their goods. Avery sighed, and threw his reigns over the fence, walking towards the brothel. When he got halfway there, he saw the three men step out, behind them was a woman with long dark curls, and a dress that wasn't fastened up in the back.

"You get back here!" She yelled, then ran at Dale, pounding his shoulder. "Give me my money!"

Grabbed her by the wrists, Dale pulled her hands down. "Lawman's discount, lady."

He and the other two laughed, as Dale pushed her away with her wrists. Standing there, watching them walk away, she crossed her arms and looked into the street at every staring at her. Without another word, she turned and walked back into the brothel.

"Hey, Robert!" Paul said seeing Avery standing in front of them, he pat his back as he walked by, "Let's get on the road, no need to waste any of our time in this worthless town."

"Why didn't you pay her?" Avery stepped in front of Dale and Gil.

Dale lined himself up with Avery and looked into his eyes, "Lawmen don't have to pay full price. We keep these people safe from all sorts of animals, the least they can do is discount our wares." With that he stepped back one and spit on Avery's shoe.

Before Dale could walk past him, Avery pushed him back. "Who says you get a discount?"

"Why, boy, if we weren't in public right now, I'd…"

"That's enough, you two, lets get on the road." Paul ordered, and the headed over to the stables.

"Watch yourself." Dale spit again, and walked around him.

Gil looked at Avery and frown, "Don't mess with him, otherwise you might not make it to your wedding day."

"That a threat?" Avery asked.

"No, friendly advice, partner." Gil said and then went to catch up with Dale.

Everyone saddled up and headed south out of town, besides the unable chatter of the three sheriffs telling each other about their nights in the brothel, it was mostly a silent trip as they closed in on the pass.

It rained some, but then had slowed again. Avery's legs were killing him from the now wet saddle he was riding, having been rubbed against it. He tried to ignore that they were sore and looked up ahead of him. As they got closer to the path, Avery saw a man laying face first in the mud.

"Look over there." He pointed.

Gil climbed off his horse and walked over to the man, his boot stuck in the mud and he had to yanked them out with all his might. Turning the man over he looked at him.

"This one of the boys?" Gil asked Avery.

Riding over, he looked at him. "Nah, not either."

"Well, it ain't Norcliff and it sure as all ain't the woman. He probably attacked them when they tried to ride through the pass." Gil walked back to his horse, and mounted him.

"Keep your eyes open, if they attacked Norcliff they might attack us as well." Paul barked, and then began to move through the pass.

Looking down at the mud, Avery could barely make out the hooves in the mud, the water had washed most of it away. He wondered how they would even track them now, that the rains had caused so much damage.

Once through the pass, they came to a fork in the road. All four men looked back and forth for a moment, as if trying to decide which way would be best. Both paths had horse hooves coming in and out, so it was hard to tell.

"Well, Dale?" Paul asked.

Dale climbed off his horse to get a better look at the ground, "Seems they took the left path."

"Only looks like two sets, one to the right has four going in."

Shaking his head, Dale spit. "Nah, left path leads past that cave that we clean out every time we ride threw here. Norcliff always takes that path. Right way added three days to the journey to Redrock, I'm sure he took this way."

Paul nodded, "Alright, we'll clean out that cave again, and then ride on."

"Clean what out of it?" Avery asked.

"It's a good place for thieves to hide and attack people riding down the road. A lot of people have gotten killed there, but been a lot less since we started cleaning it out every year." Paul smiled.

"We think Norcliff is friends with most of them, never seems that he runs into any trouble with them. None of them ever remember him passing through, and a man like Norcliff, riding alone, would be perfect target for these folks." Gil told him.

Riding down the path, they stopped when the cave was just in sight.

"Dale, you all ride ahead, we will back you up." Paul ordered.

"Wait a minute, Paul, we don't know that he can shoot worth beans. He should ride up." Dale said pointing at Avery.

Paul frowned, "Why so you can accidently shoot him? Get your ass up there." He held up his hand as if he were going to back slap Dale.

Dale rode up, closing in on the cave, and just as expected three men jumped out holding out their guns. The three lawmen behind Dale, already had their guns up, and slowly rode up to them.

"Drop your guns." Paul ordered, "Anyone else in there?" He asked pointing at the cave quickly with his gun.

The man standing closest to the cave, shook his head as soon as his gun was dropped. They all looked homeless and like that hadn't had a new pair of clothes in years. Rips and tears were all over their clothing, and each had a long shaggy beard.

"Go check, Dale."

Dismounting, Dale pulled his gun and walked into the cave, the only thing he found was a few coins. It was a very shallow cave, could only fit four or five men and even then be a little crowded. The men would urniate in it, among other things, while they waited for someone to cross their path.

Dale pocketed the coins, and walked out shaking his head. "Just some coins, Paul."

"Ya'all see Norcliff riding with two men and possibly a woman?" Paul asked.

They all shook their heads.

"Alright, take care of them." Paul ordered.

Gil yelled at them to get on their knees.

"Aren't you going to take them in?" Avery asked, afraid of what he was about to witness.

"No, they are just small time crooks. Ain't worth pulling them all the way to the next town."

Avery shivered when he heard the first gun fire, and turned his head just in time to see Dale shoot the second man.

When the third man was dead, and they all three were laying in the dirt face down, Paul grinned. "Throw them in the cave, as an omen to the next rats who want to use this cave for no good."

Avery watched Gil and Dale, pick up each body and throw them into the cave. They were suppose to take them in, not just kill them. The killing was for the people to do as justice, this was just murder. He tried to rack his brain for anything he could do, but there was nothing. He couldn't prove that these men were executed illegally, and he damn well didn't want to say anything when he knew these men could kill him where he stood. All they had to say was these men killed him first, and no one would be the wiser.

Dale looked up at Avery's face, he looked like he was going to be sick. "Can't handle a little blood there, Robbie?" He laughed as he mounted his horse.

"I don't understand why we could of taken them in for justice to be served."

"Why drag them all the way to the next town to die, when they can be killed in the name of justice here." Paul smiled, and whacked Avery on the shoulder once. "Now, you be quiet about this, ain't no reason to cause a stir."

"Let's go, Paul. Norcliff is getting farther away every moment."

Paul looked at Avery, "You still want to come?"

He gave a nod, and they continued south.

---***---
The day had been miserable, Nick had never really traveled in the rain before, and it was pouring down on them. Everyone was thankful for their hats that stopped the rain from covering their faces, but the horses were becoming stressed from having to fight the mud beneath their feet. Their nights rest had ended as soon as the rains hit, no one could sleep laying in the mud, and they had begun their journey south almost immediately. Tate put it best saying it was better to be moving forward in the rain, then sitting around in it. Nick didn't know why that made sense to her, but she sure would rather be on Goliath's back then sitting in the mud.

Winds were blowing making the water all the more cold, and she could only wonder where they would spend the evening. There was no sun, it was completely hidden by the dark storm clouds. Looking to her side, Andy was riding next to her and Rock behind her. Tate was still in the lead, she wished she were in the lead, so that the bodies behind her would block some of the wind. To make the whole situation worse they had long ago left behind the protection of the woods, and were now in open plains. There was no where to hide from the rain and winds.

"You al-alright, Nick?"

"Just cold, and my saddle is starting to hurt my thigh." She answered, and looked ahead towards Tate.

"I don't t-think the horses c-can take much more of th-this, we need to s-stop and let them rest."

Nick nodded, and she raised her voice so that Tate could hear. "Tate, we need to stop and let the horses rest."

He stopped at the sound of his name, and allowed her to catch up. The sound of the wind blowing was almost deafening.

"What?" He asked, putting his face closer to hers.

"We need to let the horses rest, they can't take much more."

Looking around he gave a nod, "Alright, ten minutes."

Nick looked at Andy to see if that was a decent amount of time, and he shook his head.

"No, they need at least thirty."

"Thirty?" Tate squaked.

"We can't ride them to death, walking in this mud is tough for them. We got to rest a while anyway, I'm cold, and hungry." Nick whined and looked up into Tate's eyes.

Tate looked down, and frowned. "Fine, let's find a place where we can rest."

They search for nearly an hour looking for a good place to stop, all they could find was a few rocks to sit on and let the horses graze on whatever they could find. Boss' fur coat was soaked all the way through, and Nick
carried a small blanket on the back of her horse, and used it to dry off her dog some. He laid with his head in her lap while she let the blanket stay over him.

Tate watched and shook his head, "You should use the blanket on yourself, not the dog."

"He needs it more then I do." Nick yelled over the wind, and pet Boss on the head.

"What a day to be out." Rock hollered.

"My bread is all wet." Nick said looking into her bag, "It's fallen apart."

"Your boots are coming apart too." Tate pointed down at her feet.

Nick looked her boots were indeed starting to peel, and she could feel the cold water dripping in to freeze her toes. "I've had them for six years now, I guess it's about time. Just needed a good storm to show me that I need to replace them."

Rock looked into his food pouch, "On the bright side, the jerky ain't tough anymore." He said holding up a piece of soggy jerky, that had turned somewhat white.

"Good, it'll be just like Teresa's home cooking." Nick smiled, causing Andy and Rock to laugh.

Tate didn't fully understand but he smiled anyway, and looked back down at Nick's peeling boots. The wind was starting to pick up, causing the rain to be sharp, stinging pellets that slammed against their faces.

"There is a large town nearby, I think we should head there and board up for the night." Tate yelled, "That way the horses can be in a stable, and we can be in dry beds. Hopefully the storm will pass by tomorrow."

"You think that would be wise?" Nick asked.

He gave a nod, "In a big city like that I'm just another face, besides I have spare guns, so I'll hide these."

"And coming in during the rain, doubt anyone would take notice." Rock added.

"Hot food and some ale w-would be a nice ch-change too." Andy said as he stood up to go gather up the horses.

Tate nodded, "I have to agree there."

"Well, we will need more supplies anyway, now that our food has been bathed." Nick picked up her blanket, and then stood up.

Andy offered Rock his horse's reigns, and all three men mounted their horses. Nick trudged through the mud, and then abruptly stopped. Her right food was stuck in the mud, she yanked it several times but it wouldn't budge.

"I'm stuck!" She yelled.

Tate rode his horse over to her, "Stuck?"

"Yeah, my boot is stuck in the mud."

Holding out his hand, she took it and he pulled back, having the horse push back some. Nick was jerked loose, but only her foot came along, her boot remained in the mud. She kept her bootless foot up, and leaned against his horse with one hand, as she tried to reach for her boot.

Tate dismounted causing a splash of mud to fly around his feet. Walking over to her boot, he yanked it out of the mud with some work as it was planted deeply in the ground. Standing in front of Nick, he held the boot out for her to step in. She placed her hand on his shoulder, and then worked her foot back into her boot.

When Tate stood up, she smiled, "Thank you."

He only gave a nod, and then mounted his horse again.

Nick called Goliath to her, and before long they were heading into town, hoping for dry beds and hot meals.

---***---
The town was in the middle of nowhere, but it seemed to be as big as the last city she was in. There was a sign before they entered town with the word Heaton painted on it. Nick assumed that was the town's name. Finding the stable, they paid the man to care for the horses. Nick gave him an extra amount to watch her dog for her, and allow him to sleep inside the stable. She had to remove Goliath's saddle, because he wouldn't let a stranger do it. Once she was finished, they headed for the saloon, where the stable hand had told them to look for it.

Walking inside, they could see that they weren't the only strangers in town that had been caught by the rain. Several men sat around the tables soaked to the bone, drinking and eating, while they waited for the storm to pass.

"Sit in the back." Nick whispered.

"I like to sit closest to the door." Tate told her.

Shaking her head she frowned, "Men don't much like me in their saloon, when I sit in the back out of sight it makes it less likely for a fight to start."

He stared at her for a moment, and sighed, "Alright, come along then."

They found a table that was slightly covered by the stairway, seems there were rooms upstairs for some of the women to take their customers up to. A young, friendly looking woman walked over to the table with a smile.

"Four ales, please." Rock said with a grin that told of all the thoughts going through his head at that moment.

"Alright, anything else?" She smiled.

"Make that three ales, and four plates of whatever you are serving up tonight." Tate said, making the woman look away from Rock and at him.

"I'll be back." She said.

"You ain't going to drink?" Rock asked Tate.

Slowly he shook his head, "No, I stopped doing that long time ago. Slows me down, and I need to be able to think quick."

Nick had sat in the dark corner beside Rock and Tate, she didn't like to talk much in saloons. She wasn't welcomed, and the less that was seen and heard of her the better. The more she acted like she belonged or that she wasn't ashamed to be in here, the more trouble it seemed to stir up.

Her eyes went to a particular scruffy man with a short dark beard, and dark eyes that didn't seem to like her being in there, even if she was being quiet. He was playing cards across the saloon, and couldn't just get up at that moment to tell her to leave. Nick knew as soon as she saw him glaring that he would eventually let it get to him, and walk over to cause trouble.

The waitress brought over four bowls of hot stew, and placed them each in front of them. "I'll be back with your ale." She said and smiled at Rock.

Nick immediately went to work on her stew, as the scruffy man eyed her with every moment, she knew that soon she wouldn't have time to eat it. She didn't want to say anything to the others, in fear that she might be wrong.

A mug of ale was set in front of her, and the waitress smiled. "There you are, darling."

"Thank you." Rock answered, and watched her walk away.

Tate had brought in his canteen and was drinking water from that as he ate his meal. Andy and Rock remained rather silent, both seeming to be fixed on their meal. After a few days of eating nothing but jerky, the stew was simply heaven to their tongues.

"After this, we will head over to the inn and get a good night's rest." Tate said between bites.

"Slow down there, Nick. We got time." Rock laughed when he saw that Nick was almost finished with her meal.

A large shadow appeared over their table, and all eyes went to the hefty man standing over them. There was no way for him to reach Nick without going through Rock first on his right or Andy and Tate to his left. It didn't make her feel any safer to be sitting in a corner, unable to escape if need be.

"This isn't a place for women." The man's deep growling voice spoke.

"We will be out of here shortly." Tate said, this was no time or place to draw attention to themselves.

"Leave now." He said placing his fists on the table, and leaning forward staring at Nick. His dark eyes stared deep into her own, causing her heart to flutter in fear.

Picking her hat off the table, she looked at Tate, "I'll go wait at the inn."

Rock's hand grabbed her own, and pulled her back into her seat. "No, you stay here, Nick." Standing up, he evened himself out with the large scruffy man, "She can stay, why don't you go to one of the other saloons if it bothers you so much."

"This is my saloon, boy, and I said she leaves now!"

Rock folded his arms, "Your saloon? A man like you I doubt you could afford the dirt that stuck to your boots."

His nostrils flared up and he released a breath.

"Rock, stop, I'll leave." Nick said standing up.

"No, you sit down." Turning his eyes back to the man in front of him, he gave himself a better stance by spreading his legs apart. "Now, why don't you go back to your drink, and leave us be."

No one saw it coming, but Rock landed square on the table, causing the stew and ale to crash to the ground and over the three sitting around it. He grabbed the left side of his face, and looked over at the big man.

"That'll be your only warning." The dark voice boomed.

Rock stood up and tried to wipe some of the ale and stew from his clothing. "Going to throw me out?"

The scruffy man went to hit Rock again, but this time he was prepared. Rock's fist plowed into the man mouth, and he then grabbed him by the back of the neck. He pulled the large man over to the stairway, where he slammed his hand once on the end of the railing. Letting go, Rock stood back, waiting for his opponent to steady himself and attack again.

"Rock, stop!" Nick ordered.

Tate sat with stew in his lap, and his arms crossed. He was not pleased with what was occurring but knew better then to put himself in the middle of it all. Andy had gotten up long ago, and moved out of the way of the fight.

The man charged at Rock, who moved in time to push the large man into the wall behind him. The large man grabbed Rock, and yanked him to the ground. Slamming his fists into Rock's face several times, before they traded positions and it was Rock's turn to hit.

He stopped when the barrel of a rifle came in front of their faces, both looking up into the eyes of the local sheriff.

"Get your asses up." The sheriff ordered.

When both men were standing he looked them over, Rock's nose was bleeding and their was already bruises appearing on his cheeks. The other man's bottom lip was split, and he had several welts on his forehead, but most of his damage was either absorbed or hidden by his beard.

"Because I understand that the rains are bringing in all types of people, I ain't going to arrest you two. But, I would suggest that one of you leave now, else I might have to take someone into the cells." The sheriff said and it was obvious that he was talking to Rock by the way he stared at him.

"No problem." Rock barked, and spit blood onto the floor.

Nick threw a few coins onto the table, and then followed her group outside. It was now dark, but the rain was still falling, and the wind had only gotten more feirce with night fall. Before they reached the inn, Tate grabbed Rock's upper arm and spun him around.

"Listen, you could of nearly got us caught back there. Do you understand at all who you are traveling with? You should of let Nick just leave, she was willing." Tate yelled.

"Nick didn't have to leave, because that man didn't like her sitting there. It ain't right!" He screamed over the cry of the winds.

"You don't bring attention to yourself, when you…"

"Don't tell me what to do, I'd turn you in if it weren't for the fact that Nick needs you. I don't like you and I don't have to listen to a damn thing you say. You ain't nothing but a killer, and you deserve to be caught, and you sure as hell deserve to die."

Rock stormed off, and Tate turned at look at Nick and Andy, who were standing with the rain pouring down on them. Nick looked down at the mud, and back up at Tate.

"He didn't mean that."

Tate nodded, "Yeah, he did, but that's alright."

"Let's g-get to the inn." Andy said, and ran into find Rock.

Nick started to walk away and when she looked back, Tate was standing staring down at the mud. Something in Rock's words had caused him some hurt. Turning back Nick walked over to him, he looked up at her and then back down. Reaching out, Nick took his hand in her own.

"Come on, let's get out of the rain, Tate."

His eyes went down to her hand touching his own, as she pulled lightly towards the inn. Yanking his hand out of her grasp, he walked ahead of her into the inn. Nick followed behind him, and when she entered the inn, was greeted by a smiling woman at the desk.

"Evening." She chirped.

"Evening, ma'am." Nick said, taking off her hat.

Looking around it wasn't much of an inn, dark wood flooring and walls. Chairs in the main room for people to wait, and a small bar through the door to the right. Stairs went up the left. Rock and Andy were waiting for her, they didn't have much money, and were probably hoping she would pay for their inn stay.

"Busy night for us." The woman said, as she handed Tate his key.

Tate started up the stairs without a word.

"You have three rooms available?" Nick asked.

She shook her head, "'fraid I just gave the last room to him." She pointed to Tate.

Nick looked up at him, as he walked up the stairs, seeming to ignore what the woman was telling them.

"Where is the next inn?"

She shook her head, "Besides the brothel rooms, we are the only inn in town."

"Big town like this with only one inn? I saw, at least, four saloons just walking here."

She gave a sympathetic smile, "I know, I'm sorry."

Nick turned and looked at Andy and Rock, "Well, how about I give you two money to go sleep at the brothel."

"Alright." Rock said more in excitement then agreement.

"Nick, you know I ain't like that." Andy answered.

Turning back to the woman, Nick asked. "What room did you send that last gentlemen to?"

"Second door up the stairs to the right, you know him?"

Nick nodded, and then looked at the other two. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

Walking up the stairs, Nick knocked on the door. Waiting she didn't hear anyone moving around inside, so she knocked louder.

"What?" Tate yelled as he swung open the door.

She was startled and jumped back, "Damn, Tate, you near scared the day lights out of me."

He didn't say anything just stared.

"This is the last room…"

"Go to another inn." He barked and went to shut the door, but Nick put her foot in the way.

"This is the only inn, why don't I pay you for the room and you and Rock go over to the brothel. They have rooms available."

Tate stared at her for a moment, "Fine, but keep your damn money, we will call it even for you buying me that food before."

Nick nodded, and they headed down the stairs. She handed Rock a few coins, and then told him to go with Tate.

Tate looked at the innkeeper, "Let her use my room, I'm going to the brothel."

Looking over at Andy, Nick smiled, as the two men left the inn. "Come on, Andy, we can share." She began up the stairs.

"I don't know, Nick. People might think…"

"Don't give a hoot, what people might think, we are leaving tomorrow and won't ever see them again. Let's go."