Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 11

Tate and Rock slogged through the mud, trying to locate the brothel that the inn keeper had been talking about. Tate was certain that a town like this would have several brothels, but only so many actually rented by the room and not just until the customer was finished.

Rock said nothing as he walked behind him, mostly using him to block the winds. It was fine by Tate if he didn't talk, after all he did just tell him that he wished death on him. He didn't know why it had bothered him that that simple minded fool wished him dead, perhaps it was because he was getting along with them. A couple times sitting around a fire, eating their meals, he felt like he had belonged. Tate hadn't belonged since he left home to avenge his father's death, he sure as hell didn't have any one he called friends. He learned long ago you can trust no one in this world but your horse and your guns, and even then sometimes they run off or jam.

When Oscar and Dusty betrayed Charlie, he couldn't stand to look at them for another moment. Walking into Redrock, he had been offered a job by a local business man. Kill those, who tried to swindle his boss. It was easy enough until he realized that he was the exact kind of man that had murdered his father. When he was twenty four, he refused to kill a woman, she had nothing to do with the business. Max just wanted her dead to warn her husband that he better pay his due. Tate didn't kill women or children, he may have been a murderer but he wasn't cold blooded. The woman died anyway, right in front of Tate's face. And to punish him for not completing his work, Max had his favorite whore killed.

He wasn't in love with the girl, but she was sweet enough. After working their for so long, Max had made her Tate's private girl. He had plans to marry her in couple years, once he had enough money saved up to leave the city. Watching her die, twisted him inside, and that very night he killed Max and several of his lead men. It was then that the law really came down on his back. Max's brother put down half of the bounty on his head, and the years of murdering rich folk for rich folk had only added to it.

He guessed it was then that he really stopped belonging anywhere, back in Redrock, he at least knew people that were glad to see him. Now, he was a stranger, no matter where he went. Nick started to make him feel like he belonged, and he knew it had only been a few days. They were long and full of both pain and joy, it almost felt like he had known the three ranchers for years. That was until Rock had to tell him of his fatal wishes, he didn't hold it against him though. He would understand why someone would want a killer like him dead, after all one doesn't get fifty thousand dollars on their head by following the law.

Looking back towards the inn, he wondered what had possessed him to give up his warm room. She could of slept outside or probably found a cellar to huddle up in. Shaking his head, he knew that would of never happened. He would of let them all share his room, if Nick hadn't had the brothel idea. He grinned slightly, why would he of let them share his room? Because she would of shared hers with him, he decided.

"Wait." Rock yelled over the winds.

Tate had nearly forgot that they were looking for the brothel, being so deeply lost in his thoughts. "What?"

"One second." He answered, and ran over to the saloon they had just been tossed out of.

The dark haired waitress had just stepped out, and smiled as Rock approached her. They talked for a moment, and then her hands reached up to the bruise on his cheek, brushing it gently. Rock turned to face Tate, "She'll take us to the brothel!" He yelled, and Tate ran over to stand next to them.

They followed her down the street, and she stopped at the dark wood double doors.

"Here we are." She smiled.

Rock reached for the door knob, and opened it for her. "Ladies first." Laughing, she stepped in and Rock kept the door open for Tate. "After you, ma'am." He said, causing Tate to push him forward into the doorway.

Besides the sound of whispers, the place was pretty quiet. There was a bar to the right and chairs spread out all over the room. Tate walked over to the barkeep, while Rock and the waitress took a seat at a table.

"How much for a room for the night?" He asked.

"With or without a companion?" The barkeep smiled, wiping out a glass.

"With." Tate answered.

"Well, pick your gal, and then I'll let you know."

Turning around Tate put his elbows on the bar, and leaned back. His eyes went around the room, but he couldn't seem to find anything that he wanted. He was in the mood for something specific.

Standing up, he turned to look at the bartender again. "You got any blondes, about this tall." Tate made a motion with his hand at his shoulders.

The bartender smiled, "Ah, a man who knows what he likes. Yeah, she's a pretty little thing too, she's with a client, but I'll send her over to you once she's done."

Tate nodded, and headed over to the table with Rock and the waitress.
She was sitting in his lap, and they shared a couple kisses.

"This here is Tate." Rock told her.

"Hello." She smiled, "I'm Jezebel."

Tate said nothing only gave a nod, and folded his hands on the table.

"Not going to find yourself a lady friend?" Rock asked.

Again, Tate didn't answer.

Jezebel looked over at Rock, "Your friend is awful quiet."

"That's just Tate's way, now why don't you go get us some ales."

"Come on, I do that all day at the saloon."

Sticking out his lower lip, he frowned, "Please, Jezebel. Just this one time, darling. After that I'll be your humble servant."

Grinning, she stood up, "Alright, but only cause you said please. I don't hear that much often."

Rock watched her walk away and talk to the bartender, "Listen here, Tate, I was just all worked up by the fight. I didn't mean none of what I said. Let's just have a good evening."

Without a word spoken from Tate, Jezebel returned and handed both men their ales.

"Not going to drink, love?" Rock asked as she sat back down in his lap.

"Oh no, I'm just not myself when I've been drinking."

Rock smiled, and squeeze her close for a moment, "Somehow, I think that's a good thing."

She laughed and looked over at Tate as he pushed away his ale. "You didn't want ale?"

"No, I don't drink." His eyes went to the stairs, as the blonde haired woman walked down them with her latest customer behind her.

She was a beauty, long blonde hair, wearing a revealing dress. Even her walk was feminine, yes, this was the one that he had ordered. When she went over to the bartender he pointed him out, and she walked over with a big smile.

"Hello, Sam tells me that you were asking for my company." Her voice was soft, but rich.

"I asked for a beautiful blonde woman, and that's obviously you."

She smiled, "My name is Mia. Do you want to toy around down here for a while, or should we go straight to my room?"

"I'm looking for company all night."

Mia smiled, "It'll cost you extra, but it's worth it."

Standing up, Tate tipped his hat to Jezebel, "Ma'am."

"Bye, Tate."

Rock watched as Mia and Tate disappeared up the stairs, then drank down his ale. Reaching across the table, he grabbed Tate's and held it up to Jezebel. "You sure you don't want any."

Jezebel smiled, "You don't need to get ale in me to get what you want from me." She whispered.

With a wink, Rock chugged down the rest of the beer. "Let me order a few more, I have a feeling I'm in for a long night."

Jezebel stood up, "Long, but pleasurable." She giggled, as Rock walked over to the bartender.

---***---
Nick sat up in bed and for a moment wondered where she was. Stepping out of bed, she pulled her boots on. The blankets where Andy had slept on the ground were in a pile in the corner, but Andy wasn't in the room. Running her fingers through her hair, she put it back up with the leather strap, and then her hat on top. She had a pretty good idea of where she could find Andy.

Once she was in the hallway, she could make out the sounds of the inn's patrons downstairs drinking and eating. Nick waved at the man who was now behind the counter, and offered him her keys.

"Thank you, ma'am."

Nick smiled, and headed for the door. The rain had stopped, but it left behind a town of ruin. A frame for a new building just down the main street had collapsed, and several men were staring at it, wondering how they would put it back up. The street was nothing but a glob of mud, to cross it to get to the paths on the other side, people had put down boards as cross ways.

What little activity that was occurring in the streets, were mostly people fighting their ways across. Nick even saw a man pick up his wife and walk her across the mud. Getting to the stables, she smiled at the stable hand. He was a middle aged gentlemen with gray streaks through his hair, and a short build.

"Your friend is here." He told her.

She nodded and gave a smile.

"That black horse of yours is dangerous, ma'am. Wouldn't let me brush it damn near killed me."

"I told you last night just to let him be, he doesn't like it when strangers touch him."

The man looked down at his boots, "Well, I thought if I could get him looking nice that you would offer a tip."

"Ah, well greed almost got you injured."

He blushed, "Your friend has been taking care of your group's horses, he's been brushing and putting new shoes on them since dawn."

Without another word to him, Nick walked down the long rows of horse stalls. She stopped at Goliath's stall, and offered out her hand which he brought his nose too. "Hey there, boy." She kissed his nose, "Where is Andy, huh?"

Hearing a bark, she saw Boss coming running down the stable. He was so excited to see her, he couldn't help but shaking his entire body. Boss had always slept with her back on the ranch, sneaking into the house through the cellar.

Coming in behind him was Andy pulling Tate's horse, "She's a real sweetie." He said referring to the horse.

Nick stroked the horse's nose, "I don't know if Tate will like that you messed with his horse, Andy."

"Her feet hadn't been filed in who k-knows how long, and her shoes w-were just as old. T-there was a burr stuck in h-her leg, I had to dig it out, but she s-should be feeling better. So, I don't r-really care if he li-likes it or not, the horse did." Andy exclaimed, stomping his foot lightly.

"Alright, calm down." She looked around the stable, "You get Snow and Mud too?"

He nodded, "Yep, she's my last one, I've named her Spring."

"Tate might already have a name for her."

Andy looked at her, his eyes told her that she much be joking, as he put the horse back in it's stall. "If a m-man don't c-care for his horse, then it don't got a name." "What are you doi
ng with my horse?" Tate's voice echoed down the stables.

He ran up next to Nick and looked over the stall door, as Andy shut it.

"I f-fitted her for new shoes, g-groomed her a bit, and d-dug a burr out of her l-leg." Andy answered.

"You do not touch my horse unless I give you permission to."

"Tate, he was only…" Nick began.

"I don't care, what if she wasn't ready and I had to ride out. I can't god damn wait for you to finish fitting her."

"That's enough, Tate." Nick snapped, "It didn't happen, and your horse will act better now. So, you just hush your mouth and thank Andy for doing free work on your damn horse."

Tate glared down at Nick, "Don't you tell me what to do."

"Or else what?" She stiffened her back.

"Nick, it's alright." Andy interrupted and touched Nick's shoulder, "I won't t-touch your damn horse again."

"Good." Tate barked, and headed out of the stable.

Rock was behind him, but they didn't take notice. He staggered a bit and held his head, "Ah, my head."

Nick's anger for Tate subsided, and she smiled, "Did you use my money to drink?"

"I've got my own money."

Folding her arms, she glared at him. "So why then did I give you money?"

"Ah.. Bah… Nick… come on, I mean… well, I didn't just…" Rock stopped and shrugged, "Because you love
me."

Nick and Andy laughed.

Shaking her head, she patted his shoulder, then turned to Andy. "Can you take my boots to get repaired? I'll stay here with Goliath, I want to brush him down some more."

"You know where the repair shop is?"

Nick shook her head, as she took off her boots. "No, but I bet the stable hand does." She held them up, offering them to him. "After that go get something to eat. You too, Rock."

They both nodded and headed out of the stable.

"I'll meet you there." Rock said and ran off.

"Where?" Andy asked, but it was to late. He figured he wasn't going to fight it, he didn't like sitting around
Rock anyway. "Excuse me, where's the shoe repair shop?" Andy asked the stable hand.

"Well, closest one is just over yonder, see the leather sign up?" He pointed.

Andy nodded, "Thanks."

Walking across the mud, he felt his feet being sucked down, and then released as he pulled up. When he looked across to where he was heading, he was met with Tate's glaring eyes.

"Listen, I ain't g-going to argue with you about the h-horse anymore. I d-did it, it's over, but I won't do it a-again."

"What are you doing with those boots?" Tate asked.

Andy looked down at the brown boots in his hand, "Nick asked me to take them to the repair shop there, and get them fixed."

Tate reached out and took the boots, "I've got to go in there anyway, I'll take them in."

Andy rose his eyebrow, the shop was only a few feet away, but he shrugged. "Alright, I'm g-going to get me s-some food."

Walking into the leather repair shop, the man looked up at Tate, "Can I help you?"

The room smelt like leather, and there were several pre-made boots laying around. Tate looked down at Nick's boots, there was a hole forming in the sole, and the leather on the toe was worn thin. He remembered that she had said they were six years old.

"Yeah, could you use these boots for measurement for a new pair?" Tate asked.

The man took a boot from him and looked them over, "Sure could, come back in three days."

"I really need them right away." Reaching into his pouch he offered him five dollars.

The man took the money, and pocketed, "Come back tomorrow."

Tate grinned, and stepped outside.

---***---
Nick was in the stables still, where Tate thought he would find her. She was brushing down Goliath, while Boss laid in the middle of the stable hall. He placed his arms on the stall door and leaned on it. She noticed him, but didn't say anything, and he remembered that they had just argued. He had nearly forgotten that Andy had messed with his horse.

"It's real important for a man like me to have a horse that's always ready to go." Tate finally said.

"Yeah, well, Andy did you a favor and it didn't hurt you none, and you yelled at him. You had no right."

Tate nodded, "Alright."

She stepped out of the stall, and glared at him.

"Where are your boots?" He asked.

"Andy took them to get repaired, but I'm getting kind of hungry."

"Go eat then."

Nick placed her hands on his hips, "I can't walk through that mud in my bare feet." She sighed, "Guess it wasn't such a great idea to stick myself in this situation."

"The bootless situation or where we are going?"

Nick looked over at him, "Bootless, and I don't want to hear nothing about what we are doing won't make me feel better."

Tate raised his hands, "Wasn't about to."

Nick grinned, "You are acting strange right now."

He shrugged.

Again, she grinned and nodded, "Oh, I see."

"What?"

Shaking her head, she turned back to Goliath. "You slept at the brothel last night, so all that anger was just…"

"Nick, that ain't lady-like."

She smiled, "Nothing I do ever is."

"Come on, let's get some food."

"I can't walk…"

"I can carry you across."

Nick rose her eyebrow, "Carry me? No, I don't think so."

Tate laughed, he wasn't quite sure why he was acting so friendly. Seeing Andy with his horse had thrown his mood off for a moment, but now he was back to the way he had felt that morning. Laying there with Mia, he had realized how much time he had spent alone. He hadn't kept real riding partners since he was twenty four, and even then he didn't much talk to them. After Rock's apology, he realized that these three were friends, and occasionally they hurt each other, but they didn't stop them from being friends.

Mia had done a little bit more for him that evening though. He had accidentally called her by the wrong name, when they first started. After that he changed his mind about the whole situation with her, instead he gave the woman the night off. They just spent the evening talking, and fell asleep on the bed. His conversation with her had made him begin to realize something, and he was finally coming to terms with emotions he had long suppressed, as well as new ones.

"I won't drop you."

"That's not what I'm afraid of."

Tate gave her a questioning look, "Then what is it?"

"I don't like being carried, it scares me."

"Cause you aren't in control."

"I beg your pardon." Nick placed her hands on her hips.

"You like being in control."

"That's not it, I… fine, carry me across." Nick snapped, and walked over to the muddy street, "Come on, I don't have all day, Tate."

Tate laughed, walking over he picked her up, and carried her across. Nick squeaked a couple times, when he got his foot slightly caught in the mud. He placed her down on the path, and she helped pull him up.

"Let's go eat." Tate said, walking towards the saloon.

Nick looked back at the stable and frowned, as Boss gently stepped in the mud and then stepped back. "Stay, Boss." Nick yelled.

The dog sat down and stared at her. Nick followed behind Tate on the wooden path, hoping she wouldn't get a splinter. When they finally got into the saloon, they found Andy and huddled around a back table together.

"Hey!" Andy waved at them, and they took their seat next to him. "How'd you get over here without any boots?"

Nick blushed and looked down at the table.

"I helped." Tate answered, with that his eyes looked up to the doorway as the familiar face entered.

Mia eyes immediately fell on him, and she smiled. When he returned her greeting, she came over to speak with him. "Hello, Tate."

"Good Morning." He responded.

Nick wasn't certain how they knew each other, but by the way the woman was dressed she was had a good idea.

"Mia, my name is Mia, not N…"

"Yes, I remember." He interrupted her, then cleared his throat.

She laughed and looked over at Nick, "Hello." Her smile widened, "You must be Nicolette."

Nick rose an eyebrow, "Uh, yeah, I am."

There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, as Tate tried to hid his embaressement, and Nick sat in confusion. Andy was just pleased that this had nothing to do with him.

"Well, my brother works here, and I was just dropping off some money for him. It was good to see you again, Tate. Remember what we talked about." She smiled, "Good luck to you."

"Thank you, Mia. I will remember." Tate said as he watched her walk away.

"What was that about?" Nick asked.

Tate shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know. I'm hungry, let's order some food."