Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 13

Waiting patiently in the kitchen, she watched the curtain, and prayed that they would hurry. Her mind wandered on about what she could possibly do in order to get out of this situation. She had watched the sheriff and two men ride off into the distance, but one stopped. He turned his horse to face the doctor's house and waited.

Even though her heart raced, Nick couldn't help but wonder how stupid these men thought she was. It was dark, she'll grant them that, but it there were enough light for her to see him waiting on her. She sighed, this would only make things harder, no matter how obvious these men were.

Andy stepped out of the room, putting on a bright white shirt. It was obviously pretty expensive, and Andy would look ridiculous in it. There was a bandage that went around his mid-section. The doctor came out behind him, he was a short, balding man. His face was rather pig-like to match his rather round structure.

"Thanks for the s-shirt, doctor." Andy said.

He patted his back, "Not a problem, now you be careful. There is a lot of travelers being attacked in these parts, and not just by those idiots who lived in the abadon farm house."

Andy nodded, "We will."

"Let me get you a couple more bandages to take with you. Change it everyday for the next four days." Turning around he went back into the examine room.

Nick stood up and Andy came over to her with a smile.

"Tell you w-what, that hurt a hell of a lot m-more then I expected it t-to."

"We have a big problem." Nick whispered.

He rose an eyebrow as he buttoned up his shirt.

"What?"

"The sheriff came in here, brought one of the guys from the farmhouse."

"So?"

Nicks sighed, "There are fliers with your and Rock on them from what I understand."

"What? Why would there be fliers of us?"

She shrugged, "I don't know, that's not important right now."

"Ah, I'm a wanted man, Nick, that's pretty damn important." He lowered his voice. "What are we going to do?"

"I don't know."

"Here you go." The doctor stepped out from behind the curtain.

"Th-thank you." Andy took the bandages. "How m-much do I owe you?"

"Don't worry about it." He smiled, "You two can stay down in the cellar tonight, if you don't want to head out during dark. We have a few cots down there for extra patients."

"Thank you, but we need to get moving." Nick answered.

He smiled, "Alright then, stay as long as you like, have some more tea and rest a bit if need be." There was a loud moan from behind the curtain. "Excuse me I need to get back to my other patient."

When the doctor disappeared behind the curtain, the pleasant face Nick was trying to keep faded.

"Well, are th-they coming for me? Wh-what?"

"They have a man posted out there a ways. I heard the sheriff say they were going to follow us to Tate. We can't let that happen, Andy."

He nodded, "Well, our h-horses are in the back, we could w-walk them away from here and r-ride off."

Nick shook her head, "No, we need a distraction. If I can see him, then he'll be able to see us leading the horses away."

Elisabeth stepped out from behind the curtain, "Would you two like me to pour you some more tea?"

"Please." Nick answered.

She pulled another cup from the armoire, and poured them each a cup. "Are you staying on the cots tonight?"

Nick shook her head, "No, we will be leaving shortly, ma'am."

She smiled, "Take your time."

"Lizzy!" The doctor called her.

"Excuse me." She said, and walked across the hall and behind the curtain.

Nick took a big gulp of the hot tea, and watched Andy take a sip.

"Why don't we just st-stay on the cots? They can't f-follow us if we aren't g-going anywhere."

"No, it'll be easier to get away from them in the dark."

Her mind was tired, she would normally be preparing to sleep around this time. There had to be an answer somewhere, she couldn't just lead them to Tate. She might not have enough time to tell him that they were following him. She, also, didn't want to get the sheriff and his men killed. They were only doing their jobs, and they didn't deserve death for that.

"I know!" Nick squeeked and then lowered her voice, "I heard them say that I was kidnapped, but they didn't know why I was protecting you."

"Kidnapped?"

"Stay on task, Andy."

He nodded.

"I'll stepped out onto the porch and look around, mess around a bit and try to keep the watchmen's eyes on me. You go through the back door, get the horse, and lead him away from here as far as you can. We entered from the North, but Rock and Tate went around the town to wait for us south of here. Go to the south, and find them."

"And what w-will you be doing?"

"I'm going to tell them that they threatened to kill me if I didn't bring you into town and behaved. But I saw a chance to run away, and I'll tell them that you guys made camp to the north. They'll probably come here and see that you've gone, so they'll have to hurry and head north where I said you guys were."

Andy crossed his arms, "And how w-will you get b-back to us?"

"I'll find a way to escape, they'll be too busy chasing you guys to watch me."

"I d-don't know, Nick, that's s-sounds too complicated for me."

"Your job is to get on a horse and head south, find Tate and Rock and tell them what happened." Nick took another drink of her tea, "The complicated part is on my head."

"I d-don't like this idea. Wh-what if…"

"It's our only option, Andy."

He stared at her for a moment, and then sighed. "Alright, Nick. I'm just w-worried that you w-won't be able to get away."

"Don't worry about me." Standing up, she brushed down her shirt. "Go to the back door, when you see me walk off the porch, head for your horse." She ordered and walked towards the front door.

He gave a nod, and headed towards the back door. She smiled when she saw him limping slightly, the man was acting as if his leg were shot. Nick opened the front, and stepped outside into the chilly winter night. She left the door wide open so that Andy could see her step off the porch.

---***---
On the porch, Nick looked back and forth as if she were looking for something. She folded her arms to protect them from the chilly night, and continued to frantically look. When she was sure that the horseman's eyes were focused on her, she walked down the stairs and onto the soft ground. She heard the back door open and close, and she continued to walk towards the path.

Nick could only hope that the sheriff had only posted one man to watch them. When she could barely make out the outlined figure of a man on a horse, she started to jog towards him. Her feet carried her as slowly as she could run and still seem frantic, she hoped that Andy had had enough time to escape.

Finding herself in front of the man's horse, she looked up at him, he was the man on the porch who had been talking to the sheriff. "You are the sheriff's friend?" She said trying to make her voice tremble slightly.

"What's it to you?"

Nick began to cry, her tears were of fear, but not of what she was portraying. "I've been kidnapped! They took me from my home and are forcing me to come along, I've been riding for… it seems like forever now. They made me bring that man into town because they thought you would recognize them."

"Who kidnapped you?"

"They called him Norcliff, and then two men that used to work for my father." Her hands went to her face and she continued to cry.

The man's hard face went soft, "Ma'am, don't cry. Please, ma'am." He got off his horse, "Here." He waved her over.

Nick looked up and sniffled.

"Come here, I'll help you on my horse. I'll lead you into town, and you can talk to the sheriff."

Nick wiped her face with the back of her hand, "Thank you. What is your name?" She asked, when he lifted her up. He had dark hair and a short trimmed beard, his arms showed that he was a well built man.

"Kelvin Pitney, ma'am. I'm one of the deputies here in Placiville." He said and started to lead the horse towards town.

"I'm Nicolette Beldin." She said through her sniffles.

"I know ma'am. Truth be told, the sheriff knew when he first saw you."

"Then he's a smart sheriff."

He took a deep breath, "Why didn't you tell him?"

"I was scared that the man I brought in would kill me."

"Why did you come out now, then?"

Nick sniffled again, "Because he left me there."

"What?" Kelvin screeched, "You telling me that he's gone?"

"Yes, he rode off about an hour ago." Nick wanted to smack her forehead for giving such a long time before she finally come out in search for help, Kelvin caught it as well.

"Why didn't you come out before? That's a long time."

"I fell asleep on the table."

"Then how do you know it was an hour?"

Nick's head was beginning to hurt, she knew it was God punishing her for spewing all these lies. "There is a clock in the hallway, I looked at it just before I drifted off."

She noticed Kelvin begin to pick up his speed, and his words stopped all together. Finally, they were outside the sheriff's office. He helped her off his horse, and brought her inside. There were nine men sitting inside, and Kelvin made ten.

"Man rode off, but she came out told me that she's been kidnapped."

Ty was sitting at his desk, and he glared at her as she stood there.

With ten sets of eyes on her, she was beginning to feel faint. She had to convince them all that she was telling the truth.

"You say the man got away?" Ty asked.

Kelvin nodded, "Yeah, I didn't see him ride away. I was paying attention." He said before the sheriff could accuse him of otherwise.

Ty's dark eyes went to Nick, "When?"

"About an hour ago, she says." Kelvin answered.

The sheriff glared at Kelvin, and then turned his eyes back to Nick, "An hour, that's a damn long time to wait around when your kidnapper is getting away."

"She fell asleep, sheriff." Kelvin answered again.

She liked Kelvin, he was making this whole lying thing a lot easier.

"Where you from? Ty asked.

"Honeycomb, it's a few days ride to the north of here."

Ty put his hands on his hips, "And I suspect it'll be alright for you to ride out there by yourself come morning?"

Nick knew this was a test, and began to sob, "No, there are bandits out there, and I'm wearing men's clothing!" Her tears began to flow.

"See what you did, sheriff?" Kelvin said, and then patted Nick lightly on the shoulders.

"Alright, alright. Don't cry now."

She began to cry harder, it got their attention off the task at hand.

"You have any idea where they are headed?"

Nick nodded, "After the man got shot, they told me to take him into town. I heard them tell the shot man that they would be camping just west of the abandon farmhouse." She wanted to sound as helpless, and innocent as possible.

Ty was having a hard time believing her, she could see it in his eyes. She respected that he wasn't waivered by a woman's tears, but was angry that he wouldn't just go there.

"I just came back from the farmhouse, and ain't no one there." Ty said.

"Did you check the west?" She asked.

He glared for a moment.

"These men did horrible things to me! And you are sitting here allowing them to get away!" Nick cried.

"Fine, we will go, but you are coming with us."

"Sheriff, she just had something real bad happen to her. Don't be dragging the innocent girl all over the place for half the night." Kelvin came to her rescue.

"Alright, take her to the inn, and guard her door."

Nick's head shot up.

"Just in case, they come back for you." Ty said, acting as if she was misunderstanding him.

"I doubt they would risk it for me." Nick said, trying to keep her sad tone, but the anger in her voice was all to apparent.

"Better to be safe, ma'am."

Kelvin took her arm, and walked her to the inn. As they walked, she heard the sheriff and his men riding away.

Part A of the plan had worked, now she needed to get away and back to her group. With Kelvin guarding her, it would be easier said then done.

---***---
Inside the inn, Kelvin got her a room and walked her up the stairs. When they reached the halfway point, he heard his name being called. Turning around, he smiled at the inn keeper, who was holding a chair for him.

"So, you can sit." He said, holding it up in the air.

"Thanks, Will, but if I sit then I'll fall asleep. Can't be having none of that."

He gave a nod, "Well, it's down here if you want it."

Kelvin turned back around and started up the stairs again. He unlocked the door for her, and opened it.

"Why do I feel like I am a prisoner with inn rights?"

He gave a sympathetic grin, "The sheriff isn't the trusting kind, but don't worry if your story pans out, then you'll be in a wagon set for home by tomorrow."

Nick frowned, "I've been a hostage by killers, and now I'm a prisoner by the very people I thought would save me." With that, she stepped into the room and shut the door.

She heard the door lock, as she walked over to the window. There was no ledge to climb down, she was stuck in the room. There had to be a way she could escape, but then again, there was only one way out of the room.

Sitting down on the bed, she looked around the room. Her father told her there was an answer to every question, sometimes they were just hidden better then others.

Standing up, she knocked on the door and Kelvin answered it.

"I'm hungry."

He nodded, "I'll run and get you something to eat, don't you try anything." He shut the door and locked it again.

"Now what?" Nick mumbled to herself.

It wasn't going to take him very long to run downstairs and grab her some food, and she had no idea how to pick a lock. She leaned against the door, and looked over the room again. There was a bed, a chair, and a long dresser. Nothing of which she could pick up, of course, breaking the door down might draw unwanted attention.

She walked back over to the bed, and laid down on her back. After a few short moments, Kelvin entered the room with a bowl of stew. He offered it to her, and Nick stood up to take it.

"Can you sit in here and talk to me for a bit?" She asked sitting down on the bed again.

"I don't think that would be much of a good idea."

Nick frowned, "I haven't talked to anyone in like a week, they made me stay quiet. Please, just for a short bit."

"The sheriff is strict about what we can and can not do, talking to prisoners is…"

"So, I am a prisoner?"

Kelvin frowned.

"Just a short while, I promise to be good." Nick gave her best smile.

He nodded, and leaned up against the dresser after shutting the door. "You say you are from Honeycomb?"

Nick nodded, "Very small town, the kind of place where everyone knows everyone's first, last, and middle name." she smiled.

Kelvin grinned, "Sounds like a nice place."

"Nice enough to miss me, when I was taken."

"You said those men worked for your father?"

Nick took a bite of her stew, "Yes, he was a rancher."

"Was?"

"He was killed not to long ago." She frowned and looked at the ground. After telling Elisabeth the story about her father's death, she had to make sure they matched up.

"Sorry to hear that." Kelvin took a seat in the chair.

Nick continued to eat her stew, and they fell quiet for a moment. When she was finished she set it to the side, "I can't wait to be back in Honeycomb." She said and looked up at Kelvin.

His head was tossed back and his mouth was open. She waited for a little while, and when she heard snoring, she snuck over to the door. It wasn't locked, and she opened it softly and headed down the stairs.

The innkeeper knew she was a prisoner, and so she waited for his back to be turned. When it was, she came down the stairs, and out the front door. Her heart was racing, as she ran towards the doctor's house.

She stopped in front of it, all the lights were out. She wanted to make her escape as quiet as possible, so she tipped toed into the back and grabbed Goliath's reigns. As soon as she had mounted him, she heard a gun cock and turned to look into another deputy's eyes.

"Sheriff thought you might make a run for it."

Nick went to reach for her rifle and found it missing.

"Yeah, I was wondering what a hostage was doing with a loaded rifle." He patted the rifle that was now behind him. "Now you just get off that horse and stick your hands up."

Nick did as she was told, and they walked back to the sheriff's office. He placed her in a cell, then sat down at the sheriff's desk.

This man had a rat's face, big front teeth with a small narrow nose. His eyes were small and beady, and the grin he kept on his face as he stared at Nick frightened her.

Kelvin came running into the office, and stopped when he saw Nick in her cell.

"I swear you should be fired." The rat faced man said.

"I dozed off, she must of snuck out then."

He nodded, "She was about to ride off to get back with her gang."

Kelvin shook his head, "No, Don, she was just scared. She's a prisoner after just being kidnapped, she wanted to get away, ain't that right?" He asked looking at Nick.

Nick didn't say anything, she was tired of lying. Laying down on the hard cot, she turned her back to them.

Don laughed, "Guess that answers that."