Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 17

The sun was setting over the horizon, and Nick stood in the creek. The cool water flowed over her feet, nearly freezing her toes, but her eyes were on the setting sun. She didn't notice that her toes were turning red from the cold, and she ignored their tingle. Her hands were folded in front of her as she let her mind wander away.

This wasn't suppose to be so hard, they were just going to Redrock. Everyone had been injured, her friends had almost died, all for her petty vengeance. She could of kept the ranch, and just bent to Avery's offer of allowing her to stay at his house. Building a house in the winter couldn't be that hard, after all. It was to late for what she could of done, she had made a decision, one that had almost cost Rock and Andy their lives. She missed Honeycomb, standing on her porch and smelling Teresa's cooking. Her father calling from the field, organizing everyone for the evening. She wanted her enemies to be the wolves again, and her biggest challenge was keeping Avery and the other boys away.

"Nick." A voice said, and she turned to look at Tate. "I've called you four times, get out of the water." He held out his hand.

She looked down at her feet, and walked over to the creek's edge. Tate dropped his hand when she didn't take it.

"You should warm your feet up by the fire. I think my mother fixed your clothes today. I'll make sure to get them for you, before we go to sleep for the night."

Nick didn't say anything, she kept her eyes on the sun ahead of her.

"What's wrong, Nick?"

"I don't think this is worth it anymore." She told him, and he looked down at the ground.

Kicking a rock away, he looked back up. "It's up to you."

She nodded, "Andy and Rock weren't supposed to be a part of this. They still had jobs in Honeycomb, and…" She sighed, "I just want to know why Brody killed my father. What point was there?" Her eyes looked over at Tate.

"Nick, I'm going to tell you something. Brody and his family are nothing but loan sharks. They practically owned Redrock."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

He shrugged, "It wasn't important, I'm willing to bet your father owed him money."

Nick swallowed, "Why would my father borrow money? We had a successful ranch, and it was a good year."

"Fathers don't always tell their children when they are in financial trouble, Nick. Why worry them when you can fix it yourself."

She shook her head, "No, I don't believe that. Besides, my father was always with me, he wouldn't of had time to ride to Redrock to borrow money."

They both watched as the sun made it's final decent behind the horizon, and were left within the darkness.

"Brody travels around, he could of gone through Honeycomb…"

"How would you know that?"

Tate stared at her for a moment, "Alright, you know that when my father was murdered I went to kill the man, right?"

She nodded.

"Well, afterwards I got a small bounty on my head, he was a pretty rich man. But then riding through Redrock one day, I ran into a man named Simon. He saw how good I was with my guns in a small fight, and offered me a job. After Oscar betrayed my friend, I went back to work with him."

Nick didn't see where this way going, but continued to listen to him.

"Simon's last name was Brody. Now, before you say anything it's not the same man. Simon is dead."

She had had her mouth open to talk, but shut it immediately.

"Simon killed a friend of mine as punishment for me failing a task. So, one day I just walked into his place of business and killed him and his men. His brother, Richard, wasn't too thrilled with what I had done. He was the one who put half of my bounty down."

"And you think Richard is the same Brody that had my father killed?"

"Well, he's the only male Brody in Redrock, beside the young boys. I think it's a good guess."

Nick folded her arms, "Why didn't you tell me this before?"

"Listen, I am not interested in sharing everything with you. We ain't buddies, and we ain't partners. We are just working together until the jobs done, if you are telling me that we are done, then there is no point…"

"You want to kill Brody, don't you?"

Tate didn't know what to say, it was true. Richard had been the one who convinced Simon to have the whore killed. They didn't want Tate dead, because he was too valuable. He would of killed Richard that night as well, had he not run and hide the first word he got of his brother's death. "Wouldn't mind seeing his corpse on the street."

She pressed her lips together, and looked down at the creek. "I'm lost, I don't know what I should do anymore. I want justice to be served for my family, but I just wasn't expecting it to be this hard."

"You need to decide what you can live with, Nick."

Her eyes held a questioning look.

"Every tomorrow after today, whatever decision you make, you have to live with it. Can you live knowing that he was allowed to continue on after destroying your life? Or would you prefer knowing you took the law into your own hands, and took a man's life for vengeance?"

She shook her head, "I don't know."

Tate patted her shoulder, "We have time, you need to know when we leave this camp."

"I will."

Suddenly three small children ran around her, and then tugged on Tate. They were yelling something to him, and he smiled. He lifted one up in the air, and started spinning around in circles with the child about his head. Nick laughed, as did the other children around her feet. A small girl with two braids held up her arms to Nick, and she stared down at her.

The girl said something, and Nick looked up at Tate.

"She wants you to pick her up." He said as he put the child down, and picked up another one.

Nick picked her up, and the little girl laid her head on her shoulder. Her other hand reached around Nick's neck, and began stroking her hair. She soon heard the sounds of the little girl sucking her thumb.

Tate continued to play with the children, until Ketaa'e came running over to them. He put the child down, and Ketaa'e gave him a half grin as she put her hand on a little boy's head. They both look uncomfortable in each other's presence.

"Let me have her." Ketaa'e said, and reached for the little girl in Nick's arms. "It's time for her to go to sleep."

Nick went to offer the little girl to her, and when she stepped forward her foot landed on a rock. She plummeted to her knees, still holding the little girl. Ketaa'e took her and then helped Nick stand up.

"Are you alright, Nick?" Tate asked.

"Fine." She said and looked down at her muddy knees.

Walking over to the creek, she tossed water over her knees to clean them off. She heard the children behind her all laughing and one said something, and the others began to repeat it.

Ketaa'e seemed to snap at them, and then took the children away. Tate smiled as she walked over to him.

"What was that?"

"They gave you a name."

She didn't know to know, it would be much better if that was left an inside joke.

"Mahpehe'e." He said, "Means water woman."

"That's not so bad." Nick said folding her cold arms, and watching Ketaa'e walk away with the children.

He shook his head, "Nope, at least it's not water white woman." He laughed, and began to walk away.

"Tate?" He stopped and turned around to her, "What did you do when you worked for Brody?"

He was silent for a moment, "I was no better then the men who killed your father."

---***---
The days flew by and the cold winter began to set in, the tribe was preparing to leave the next day. Tate told Nick that she needed to decide on whether she wanted to continue onward. She already knew there was a choice to make, but it seemed so difficult. Rock was much better. Though their wounds weren't completely healed, they were all healthier then before they came to the camp.

She had received her clothing back, but not before Ketaa'e and a couple other women put beads in her hair. Most had been removed, but there was one braid left that still had beads. Tate had told her the beads were made from small animals spines. She thought he was joking but the more she looked at them, the more she realized they did have a close resemblance.
Sitting next to a teepee, she finished up a hide that Toohe'e had asked her to clean. She hadn't said much to them since Tate argued with her. Most of her time was spent with her husband, which Nick only saw twice. He didn't seem pleased with their presence, and Ketaa'e had told her that he only tolerated them because the rest of the tribe did.

He had looked over at her several times with such hate in his eyes. His dark skin and almost black eyes, along with the multiple feathers he carried on his head, kind of frightened Nick. She had always heard awful stories about the Indians killing white women for revenge, against the white men. But so far he had done nothing, and with them leaving tomorrow, she doubted anything would happen.

Nahkohe came to stand in front of her, she looked up at him and smiled. "Still putting you to work, I see."

"Indeed, they are."

He sat down, placing his legs under him. "May I speak with you?"

"Of course." She said, running the sharp rock over the skin.

"Why are you making Evâsova do this? Does he owe you something?"

Nick stopped working for a moment, and looked up at him. "Did Tate tell you I was forcing him to do this?"

"Not in so many words, he did mention that you saved him once or twice."

She frowned, "I am not, nor will I ever force Tate into doing this. I offered him money and he accepted, no one is dragging him around by his ears."

He nodded, "I must of misunderstood him. But please, tell him not to come anymore. This breaks my mother's heart, you don't understand the torment she has been through. Every time he leaves, he may never come back and we won't know what happened to him. The last time he left was the only time she felt relief, she thought he would be safe away from here. But you brought him back."

"I didn't bring him back, he brought me here. He is a grown man, and can make his own decisions."

Nahkohe sighed, "We know, but… he could come with us, he is much happier here then in the white man's world."

Nick looked into his eyes, seeing the sadness, her heart dropped. "I'll mention it to him, but nothing more."

A grin played across his face, "Thank you." He stood up and began to walk away.

"Wait, Nahkohe. It is my turn to ask you something."

He came back over to her and took his seat in front of her again.

"Now, this isn't any of my business. But Ketaa'e told me why you never speak to her, and…"

"You were right, it is none of your business." He began to stand up.

"Do you love her, Nahkohe?"

He looked down, "That woman chose my brother, and then he tossed her away."

"So, you don't know that she did it because she thought you didn't love her." Nick looked up at him, and he said nothing only continued to stare down at her. "She thought you didn't want to be with her and were being forced to bond with her. Being with another man was the only way she could think to save you from her."

Nahkohe remained silent, and began to walk slowly away from her. Nick watched him and then he stopped, and turned to her. "I don't talk to her, because I don't want her to see that I still love her. Even after what she did to me, but my father won't allow it."

"You know, tomorrow one of you may not be here. Do you want her to live her life never knowing the truth? Or could you live on knowing you never told her and she died thinking you hated her?"

Nahkohe turned around and looked at her, "Tate told me your family was murdered all in one night, is this where you speak from?"

Nick nodded, "I never told some of them how I felt, and I don't have the chance now. It's a heavy burden to bare."

"I see." Turning around, he walked away from her, his footsteps were slow and light.

"How is that skin coming?" Toohe'e asked, she had snuck up behind her.

"Should be done soon enough." Nick answered.

She saw Toohe'e nod, and then turn her back to her.

"Toohe'e?"

She turned around and smiled.

"I am not forcing Tate to come along, if he doesn't want to go then he can stay."

"I know, not even I can force him to do anything. He has always been his own man. Don't worry I hold no grudge against you, just much worry for my son."

Nick looked back down at the skin.

"I think you are the first person to ever talk to him about her." Toohe'e said.

She looked up to see her staring down the path at Nahkohe. "About Ketaa'e?"

"I've always known, but Hiamovi orders me not to speak of her. He is a good man, just makes many bad decisions."

"I understand, like Rock."

She smiled, "By the way, I think many of the men will be pleased when that one is gone. He sure does know how to steal hearts, being able to speak the same language or not."

Nick laughed when Toohe'e did, "Yes, he has always been that way."

"You sound as if you speak from experience."

"When he first arrived he won me over a bit. But after three months, I realized what kind of man he truly was."

"How?"

Looking down at the skin, she sighed. "I caught him with another girl from town, he tried to get me to forgive him, but I never have. I just pretend there was nothing between us to begin with."

Toohe'e nodded, "I can understand that pain, I think. He isn't much for one woman, and some men just aren't made to be. Now, Makeeta, he needs a woman as strong and stubborn as he is. He doesn't let many people into his heart, but when he does, he doesn't let them go, ever."

Nick smiled, "Despite his downfalls, you still really love him."

"He is my child, and the only son of the only man I ever loved." She sighed, "You may think less of me when I say this, but I had seven children and Makeeta and his sister will always remain my favorite. When I look into their faces, their father is staring back at me." She smiled.

"That doesn't sound so horrible."

"I still love my other children, but everyone knows I hold Makeeta and Ayita over them. I think that is why Hiamovi dislikes them so much." She took a deep breath, "I need to go check on the other women, I'll say goodbye before you leave tomorrow."

Nick nodded and watched her walk away into the mess of tepees.

---***---
By morning the next day, Andy had gathered up everyone's horse and had them saddled up. Nick realized that she hadn't seen Boss the entire time they were in camp, and began to search him out. The fear that these people had eaten her dog began to set in, and then a worse fear that perhaps they had fed him to her, came to mind.

"What are you looking for?" Tate asked, when he noticed her looking around the tepees.

"My dog." She answered.

Tate turned to several Indian women and asked them where the dog was in their language. They all chuckled, and one headed off into the distance to fetch him for her.

"They are bringing him back."

After a few moments, several children appeared pulling Boss over. The little dog was so happy to see her, then he nearly yanked the child's arm off trying to get to Nick. He was covered in paint and had beads in his hair.

"What did they do to you?" Nick laughed, and kneeled down to pet his head.

"The children were keeping him hostage." Tate said after he spoke to the children that had brought him.

"Well, besides that he is blue and red, he looks fine." She stood up and smiled at the children, "Thank you for taking care of him."

Tate told them what she had said, and they all smiled.

When they were mounted and ready to head out, Toohe'e appeared. Her arms were spread, and Tate got off his horse to receive her embrace. She turned to Nick and she did the same as Tate, dismounting her horse. Toohe'e even hugged Andy and Rock, and told them to be careful.

Nick looked over by the tepees and saw Nahkohe standing next to Ketaa'e. They both waved at her, and she waved back. To her surprise, Nahkohe placed his arm around Ketaa'e's shoulders and they walked into a tepee together.

Nick smiled, and Toohe'e grabbed her face. "That's because of you." Speaking of Nahkohe and Ketaa'e, "He stood up to his father, and they will be bonded in the spring. You are always welcome here, Nick, our tribe is now yours."

"Her name is Mahpehe'e, mother." Tate said.

Toohe'e chuckled, "Who gave you that name?"

"The children." Nick laughed.

"Mahpehe'e, it is." She hugged her, and then walked towards the tepees.

Tate mounted his horse, as did the other men. Nick stayed on the ground, remembering her promise to Nahkohe.
"Tate?"

"Yeah." He responded.

"Maybe you should go with them." She said, and looked up to his angry face.

"Are we going to Redrock?" He asked, ignoring her.

She looked at Rock and Andy, then back to Tate, "I don't think you should come, you've made your mother suffer enough, don't you think?"

His frown deepened, "My mother asked you to do this didn't she?"

"No. I just think…"

"Unless you aren't going to Redrock, then I am coming with you. If you aren't, then I am still going. I have unfinished business to attend to."

She stared at him for a moment, "Alright, I said I would try." Mounting Goliath, Boss barked overly excited to be moving again.
Goliath had made himself a nice little harem in the herd, and had enjoyed his time immensely at the camp. Boss on the other hand, had spent his time in a tepee or chasing children. If he wasn't such an active dog, he would have been too tired to leave the next day.

Nick looked back as she watched the tepees getting disassembled, and the camp prepared to leave for the winter home down south. She looked over at Rock, who still had green bruises from his beating. Everyone seemed to be better from their stay at the camp, and Nick had learned a valuable lesson. Everything you hear isn't true. This people were no different then her. Life in the camp, reminded her of life on the ranch. Every one worked together for the benefit of the whole. She had liked it there.
She smiled, and looked beside her to Tate. He was riding next to her, allowing Andy and Rock to take the lead. He returned the smile, as they rode off into the distance and out of the sight of the camp.