Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 20

The next morning, Nick had gathered everyone outside before Rose awoke. She wanted to get her plans into motion, and let them know what she had in mind. Sitting on the cart, the men gathered around waiting for her to have her say. Nick was still waiting on Andy, who was coming from the barn. Her eyes wandered around the drying grass, and she could hear a stream in the distance. She knew it was through the thin woods, as she had heard it when she was walking with Rock the night before.

Andy strolled up, and stood near Rock. For some strange reason, Boss had been following Andy, and sat down beside him when he arrived. Tate had his hand on the cart near Nick's own arm, she felt uncomfortable and wanted to pull it away, but it almost felt like a dare to her.

"Tate," Nick began, "you told me that Brody is a rich business man here, right?"

He nodded.

"I want this man to suffer, before he gets to die. I want him to welcome death, before we are done." Everyone was surprised to hear such venom in Nick's voice.

"What do you have in mind, Nick?" Rock asked.

"We are going to make this a slow process. He owns several business in the area, and I want them all burned to the ground. I want his money taken, and all his murderous cronies killed. I want him to have nothing."

"We would have to rob the bank, and take money from the entire town to take that from him." Andy told her, concerned for the innocents in this matter.

"No, we won't." Tate said, "Brody doesn't trust banks, especially Redrock as it gets robbed at least once a year. He has his own safe underneath the Glasses and Garters brothel, we can take some of his money and let the rest burn in the fire."

"How convenient." Nick spoke with some suspicion in her voice, she wasn't certain why that was.

Tate heard it in her voice, but ignored it for the time being, "Brody is a regular customers of Natalie's so…"

"Whoa, wait a minute." Nick snapped, "She works for him? And he doesn't know that she is your sister?"

Tate tried not to grin, "We decided when I first started working for him that it would be best if no one knew. We never even spoke to each other in public, it was for her own safety. I always knew there might be a chance that I would mess up and he would punish her… like he did my friend."

Nick seemed content with the answer, "I'm not even going to ask if she is trustworthy, there are few people that you trust, and I'm sure they have done more then enough to prove it to you."

Tate nodded, trying to decide whether or not that was a compliment or an insult. When he concluded it was neither, he continued, "Natalie could get us a list of all his businesses, I am sure she knows some that he is partners with as well. Would you want to get those too?"

"Would we be harming an innocent owner?"

He shook his head, "I doubt any man in business with Brody is innocent, besides that any man who is wants out."

Nick nodded, "Alright, then until we have more solid plans we finish our business here."

"You mean chores." Andy sighed, and Rock laughed at him.

All eyes went down the road to the horsemen riding up the path, it was Natalie. She smiled at them as she climbed off the horse, then walked over to them. "Hello."

"We were just talking about you." Tate told her.

"Oh? All good, I hope."

Rose came out onto the porch, "Girl!" She yelled, calling for Nick.

Nick sighed, "I have some gardening to do." She informed them, before running over to the porch.
"We will finishing patching up the barn, you talk to your sister." Rock told Tate, and both he and Andy left the two alone.

"We need a list of all of Brody's businesses, think you could manage, Nat?" Tate asked her.

"Of course, I know most of them, but when Brody has been drinking, he talks a lot. I can talk to him about anything."

Tate grinned, "I knew I could count on you." His grin faded when he saw Natalie wasn't pleased.

"This will be it, right? No more killing, no hunting, no hiding. You'll go far away, where no one has ever heard of you, right?"

He sighed, "With a fifty thousand dollar reward on my head, I don't know that I can go far enough away."
"But with Brody dead, most of the money will be gone, Tate." Natalie took his hand, "Please, just promise me, you'll try."

He nodded, "I will do my best, Nat."

She smiled at him, "Thank you." She looked around, "Now, what did Nick say?"

He rose an eyebrow as he pulled his hand away from her, "Nick say to what?"

Natalie tried not to laugh at him, as she saw her brother blush again for the second time in her life, "About you and her."

"There is no me and her." Tate snapped.

Natalie frowned, "Oh, that's what she said, huh?" She gave a loud sigh, "Well, don't be too let down, Tate. Once you are far enough away, you'll meet a gal who doesn't know…"

"I haven't talked to her about anything, Natalie. I'm not going to."

She folded her arms, "Tatius Norcliff, you are being yella'."

He stepped back, "Natalie! Don't call me that! I am not being a yella', I am being realistic. I was going to, but then I saw the way she looks at me. I may be her friend, but it's only because of I can do something for her. A girl like that wouldn't of looked at me twice when I was sitting in that jail cell, if she hadn't just had her family killed."

"That was quite the mouthful, Tate. You normally have a lot to say when you are trying to convince yourself of something."

Tate frowned and folded his arms, "Natalie, stop trying to talk me into this. It's not going to work, we have a plan and this will all be over soon."

---***---
Two days later, Natalie had compiled a list of nine businesses that Brody owned or was partnered with. She had also gone the extra mile and got a list of several men that worked for Brody as collectors, their deaths would hurt his pockets. The four of them had decided that they would begin work the next evening by taking care of one person and one business every few nights for the next month.

Nick awoke during the night, and sat up from her bed. Rose had allowed her to sleep in the same bed as she did, while the men shared the other bedroom. Her mind was wandering and she couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep in. Finally, she decided to go outside for some air, and perhaps a short walk. Slipping her boots on, she made it out of the room and into the hall, where she heard Rock snoring in the other bedroom.

When she made it to the porch, she stepped outside by the stairs and wrapped her arms around herself. Boss was tied up to the porch railing, and whimpered when she stepped out onto the porch. Nick ignored him, and he understood that she wanted to be left alone, the dog laid back down.

The night was somewhat chilly, but the sky was as beautiful as it was back at the ranch. She hadn't taken much time to look at the night sky when she had been riding, but now the memories of sleepless nights of the ranch came back to her. She often found herself unable to sleep the night before a big festival or gathering, she would go outside and sit on the porch. Often, Andy would find his way there, also unable to sleep from the excitement. She wondered if he was sleeping now, or getting ready to come outside.

Leaning against the thin wooden pillar that held up the porch railing, she let out a big sigh. Her eyes still on the stars, and she thought about what she might be doing right now had Brody not come into her father's life that night. She would probably be under the stars that night as well, keeping her eyes out for wolves. Complaining to whoever was her companion that night about something that Teresa had said to her.

Teresa would definitely still be trying to get her married off to anyone who would think twice, and Hank would still be the toughest old man she knew. She still remembered his wrinkled face smiling at her, whenever Rock would make a mistake. It was an unspoken joke between them, that had no words to explain it. He always messed up, and they both knew that he always would.

Trent and Darren would still be arguing with their family about what they did for a living, and keeping to themselves as always. And her pa, well, he would still be wise and always know the right thing to say when she was feeling down. He would… he would still be there for her, and none of this anger would of tormented her heart. There would be no need for revenge because there would have been no wrong done unto her.

She sniffled into the crisp night air, and wiped her hand across her nose.

"Can't sleep?" She heard Tate's voice ask, and she looked over to the rocking chair.

"How long have you been there?" She asked.

"Before you came out." He answered her, and stood from the chair, coming to stand next to her. "Thinking about your family?"

Nick nodded, "Wondering what I'd be doing now had none of that happened."

"I wonder that myself." He said, then to clarify continued, "If my father hadn't been shot down in front of me. Perhaps, I would of never left my tribe, maybe my sister wouldn't of either. Maybe I would of, but taken up some sort of trade. Started in a small town, where people could of gotten use to me, being part injun."

She smiled, "It's good to know that even you wonder about that type of stuff. What do you think you would of done? I mean as a trade?"

He folded his arms and looked off into the distance, "Blacksmith?" He chuckled, "Don't know, whatever come along, I suppose. That's the same reason I got into law breaking. It was an offer on the table, and it seemed best at the time."

"You would of made a good rancher." She said, and he looked down at her with a smile.

"Why's that?"

"You've got some muscle and you aren't afraid of a little hard work." She took a moment to think, "Or to get a little scrapped up."

Tate laughed, "I suppose I would of then. Think your pa would of hired me on? You know we went past that small town a lot when I was younger."

"Really? You tribe went that far north?"

He nodded, "Use to, but the more land got taken over by the white men, the less space we had to move around in. Most tribes are situated in areas set aside for them, but some don't want to go where we are told."

"Oh." Nick responded, and then smiled, "Yes, I do."

He rose an eyebrow, "Yes, what?"

"My father, he would of hired you on. He wasn't one for judging people, I mean look at Rock."

Tate smiled, "Too bad it didn't happen that way. We could of met under different circumstances then."

Nick nodded, "Yeah, we could have been real good friends like me and Andy are."

"I think we still can." The words left his lips, before he could think them through. He was afraid of what she might say, as he looked down at her.

Nick slowly grinned, "You know, that may be true. Where are you going after all this is through?"
He shrugged, "Far away, like I promised my sister."

"Rock and I were talking about starting a ranch somewhere, and calling it the New Hope Ranch. You could come… if you wanted."

Tate tried to hide his grin, "I would have to think on it. You really think I could be a rancher?"

Nick gave a short nod, "Anyone who tries could be. If you don't mind me saying, I think I made a pretty damn good rancher, and I'm a woman. If I can do it, then so can you."

"New Hope Ranch, huh?"

"Yep." She smiled.

"Well, I could sure use some of that."

Nick chuckled, "I think we all could, finally have a place to set aside our troubles."

They were silent for a moment before Tate spoke again, "You wouldn't mind having a murderer like me come along, and work for you. I mean, I might bring some unwanted problems with me."

"Everyone brings unwanted problems, even me. As friends we see it through to the end, and when we live on the ranch together then we are family." She shrugged, "Besides when all this is through, we will all be murderers." Her grin turned to a frown.

"I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen to you, Nick. You don't need that weighing on your soul." He looked out into the distance, "I wouldn't allow my friend to do that to herself."

He felt a hand slip under his arm and around his back, looking down Nick wrapped her other arm around his chest. She squeezed him for a moment, and he wasn't exactly sure if he wanted to respond. Laying his right arm on her shoulders, he pulled her closer to him, as Nick laid her head on his shoulder. They both stared up at the stars, knowing tomorrow night the stars would not shine down on them so peacefully.

---***---
The night had finally arrived and they had decided on a man named Albert Firth, and the Robald General Store. Nick and Andy would be taking care of the store, while Rock and Tate dealt with Mister Firth. Natalie had told them that Firth often fixed her brothel, even though he couldn't afford any of the women there. He did enjoy drinking around the women, and then heading over to Glasses and Garters when he was good and drunk. It would be the prefect opportunity to get him then, and by that time Nick and Andy should be finished with the general store.

They wrapped the handkerchiefs around their faces, and Nick pushed her hair up into her hat. Natalie and her friends had made them all long jackets in hope that it would cover up any noticeable markings, and Nick's gender. Andy also carried a lit lantern with him.

"Be careful, Nick." Rock told her, when they got to the point in the road where they would leave each other.
Nick nodded, "You too, Rock."

"Don't worry none about me, I have to deal with a drunk man. You are doing the far more dangerous job." With that he began to ride off, but Tate stayed behind.

"He's right." Tate told her, "Make sure no one is inside before you set it on fire, you don't want that on you."

"I know, we've gone over this. Andy and I will be fine." Nick smiled, but he couldn't see under her handkerchief.
"Head back to Rose's when you are finished, don't play around." He warned.

"Play around? What do you think we are going to do? Play tag or hide and seek? We know." Nick snapped, becoming annoyed.

He nodded his head, and looked down the road at Rock who was waiting for him. "Take care of her, Andy." Tate told the man behind her, who nodded. Reaching out his hand, Tate squeezed her own, which shocked her. "Be careful, Nick." He said again, before riding down the road to catch up with Rock.

"Wh-what was that about?" Andy asked.

Nick shrugged, "Little scared that he won't get his remainder of the money if I die, I suppose." She chuckled, but by the look on Andy's face he didn't believe her.

They began to ride towards the general store, it was on the opposite side of where Rock and Tate were going. Rose's cabin was a two hour ride from town, and racing back would take a half hour off of that time. The closer they got to town, the more Nick's heart raced. At several points, she wanted to change her mind, but knew it was too late. She couldn't catch up with the other two now, and tell them not to kill their target. She had to go through with this.

Andy could see that Nick was getting nervous, and rode up beside her. "We can do this, Nick. Don't worry."

She looked over at her friend, who should have been stuttering. If she was this nervous, he should have been twice as nervous. Normally, she was much braver during these type of situations then him. "Aren't you scared?"

Andy nodded, "Very."

"You aren't stuttering." Nick needed to talk about anything, expect what they were heading off to do.

"I noticed. Guess, I'm too scared to stutter."

Nick smiled, then breathed deeply, "Let's get this done and go back to the cabin."

Andy gave a sharp nod, "Best idea you've had all day."

When they arrived, they found themselves at the end of town. The general store seemed to be used by those who didn't want to journey too far into the large town. Nick wondered immediately who worked at the shop, and hoped that they didn't live inside. Andy and her tied their horses up away in the nearby woods. They had tied up Boss to Rose's cabin, because he had refused to stay. The old woman also didn't allow him inside, so he had to remained roped to the cabin when Nick wasn't outside with him.

Andy walked up to the door, and tried to open it, but it was locked. In Honeycomb almost no one locked their doors, but here in Redrock it was a must. Placing the lantern on the porch, he reached into his belt, he pulled out his hammer and tried to pry the door open. Nick kept the look out, even though odds were against anyone coming their way that late at night.

Andy sighed, "I don't think…" The door opened, and an elderly gentlemen looked at them. Andy pulled his gun on him, and Nick had her rifle ready. "Step outside, old man." Andy said.

Nick had told them that she wouldn't be speaking, so they wouldn't know it was a woman. Everyone agreed that it would be for the best.

"What… what… what is going on?" The old man asked, as he put his hands in the air.

"Anyone else in there?" Andy asked him, ignoring his comment.

"My wife, she's sleeping."

Andy looked towards Nick, "Watch him, I'll get the woman."

Nick held her gun to the man, and jerked it forward to motion him to come down the stairs. He did so, and she walked him further from the building. When Andy appeared next, the elderly woman run out and into her husband's arms.

"Please, don't hurt us." The man said.

"We aren't going to hurt you, old man. You are partners with Brody?" Andy asked as he grabbed several bottles of whiskey off his horse.

"Yes, I am." He answered when he saw Andy taking the whiskey bottles with him into the house.

After a moment, Andy reemerged and grabbed the lantern from the porch.

"Wait, stop!" The man yelled, when he realized that Andy didn't have the whiskey anymore. Nick shoved the end of her rifle into the man's chest, and he stepped back.

Andy threw the lantern into the store, and it made a loud crash as it broke. It immediately went up into flames, and Andy had to run away. Grabbing the rope off his horse, he tied the couple up, and shoved them into the nearby trees.

When they were ready to go, Andy looked down at them. "Tell Brody, this is a gift and that there is more to come."

With that both Nick and Andy mounted their horses and road off towards the east. They really needed to go west, but didn't want to give away their direction to the witnesses.

"D-done." Andy said.

"Now you stutter." Nick tried to giggle, but she was more relieved then anything else.

They were both silent for a moment, as they continued speed towards Rose's cabin. Nick wondered if Tate and Rock were doing alright with their target, and she worried for their safety. She understood now what Brody was, and he wouldn't just have anyone working for him. He only paid the best, and she prayed his best was at their worst when they had been drinking.

---***---
When they arrived back at the cabin, the others hadn't returned. Andy put the horses in the barn, while Nick sat down on the porch. When he returned, he took a seat next to her on the stairs, and smiled. Her eyes wandered off into the distance, as her heart continued to pound. She couldn't imagine this being this way the entire time. She was worried about her two friends, and even more so about what the future might hold.

She sighed, and Andy took her hand. In his eyes was his own worry, and Nick leaned over, placing her head on his shoulder. "They are alright." She said more for her benefit then his.

"Yeah, I'm s-sure of it." Andy swallowed, and she could feel his neck muscle flex. He squeezed her hand tighter, and they waited in the darkness.

The wait seemed to take an eternity, and it wasn't until sun up that they saw two horses in the distance. Both Andy and Nick jumped to their feet, and ran out to the road to meet them. They looked fine and Nick wondered what possibly could of kept them in town for so long.

Rock dismounted and Nick immediately hugged him, "We were worried."

He embraced her, "Sorry, Nick. He stayed in there practically all night, I ended up having to go inside and ask Natalie if he was there. He was."

Nick stepped back just in time to see Tate's jealous glare vanish from his eyes, "Is it done?"

Rock nodded, "Yeah." His said the word dryly, and she knew something was wrong. The way he looked over at Tate told her that it had something to do with him, but she wasn't sure she wanted to ask at that moment.

Andy took both of their horses into the stable, and left the three of them to discuss the events of the night.

"Was an old woman and man inside the store, but they are alright. We left them a good distance away in the woods." Nick told them.

Rock was about to speak but Tate started talking first, "Yeah, the fire got a lot of people out of the buildings. Except the man that we wanted to leave. He put up quite the fight, but seems he forgot his pistols inside. I think we can thank Natalie for that one."

Nick smiled, "Well, it's good to see you both made it back alright. We thought for certain something terrible had happened."

"Nah, not to me." Rock laughed, but he was nervous about something. Clearing his throat, he excused himself.
"What's wrong with him?" Nick asked, as Rock disappeared into the cabin.

Tate frowned, "Saw something that he wasn't expecting to see, I suppose."

"What?"

He looked worried, as he kicked the dirt beneath him. "A murder."

She rose her eyebrow, curious as to what he meant.

"He thought it would feel like justice, but all the man did was beg for mercy on his knees. Rock wouldn't…" He stopped, "No, I said I wouldn't let you put yourself through this. That's why I am going the killings. Just know that he might not want to go with me next time."

Nick nodded, her eyes still on the door that Rock had gone through. She looked back to Tate with a frown, "Then Andy or I will have to go with you."

"Not you, Nick. I refuse to let you become what I have, and I don't think Andy should either. I should be fine on my own. I did alright before you."

She shook her head, "No, Tate, we are doing this together, like we said. Even if that means I have to do things that I'll regret."

He said nothing, only frowned, there would be no winning this argument. "I really wish you would reconsider."

Reaching out her arms, she hugged him and he returned the embrace, "We were so worried about you two. I was afraid you had gotten captured."

"No, nothing exciting like that. Just sat in the dark all night, until he left and Natalie pointed him out to us." He yawned still holding Nick in his arms, she had tried to pull away, but he kept a hold on her. "Natalie says she will be up again today."

Nick nodded, her face brushing against Tate's chest.

"I…" He cleared his throat, "I… I was worried about you."

"Why? Our job was easy."

He shrugged. "Don't worry about Andy and me, Tate. I do enough of that for everyone."

Tate grinned, "I didn't say I was worried about Andy."

Nick had had her eyes closed, but opened them with his words. She cleared her throat, and pulled away.

Tate realized what he had said, and felt a little daft. "Well, we got to do this again in a few days, so we need to toughen up." He said.

Nick gave a sharp nod, "Agreed. We should get to bed, we have chores to do later."