Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 24

Avery walked out of the Glasses and Garters brothel, after Dale had embarrassed him enough in front of the women. He kept telling them that Avery was saving himself for marriage, and wouldn't even think of touching another woman. As he stepped out, he saw Nicole across the dirt street from him. She was walking with her mother after they closed up shop. She saw him and raised her hand gently to wave at him. He returned the gesture, reminding himself that he had promised to visit her mother's shop.

There had been several more fires in the past month, though no signs of Nicolette. He had always joined the groups that put out the fire, and Nicole had always been there to pass out water. Every time she spoke to him about Honeycomb and Nicolette. Before she left his side, she would invite him to come to her mother's shop. He would always get caught up in something else, and forget to visit her.

The night was cold, and he decided to head back to his inn room. He had only entered the brothel to talk to Paul about what Brody had in mind, and it had embarrassed him for Nicole to see him leave it. He found out that Brody knew that it was Tatius Norcliff that was killing his men and burning down local buildings. Avery prayed that Nick wasn't responsible for any of this, and that she was just a victim. If she was a willing participant, then he needed to know why.

Walking down the steps, he pulled the reigns over his horse's head, then mounted him. He had been wondering as of late of what exactly he was thinking when he decided to run after Nick. His pride was hurt, he knew that much. After all these years of trying to court her, she never even pretended to give him a serious thought. He remembered how Teresa use to encourage him to continue, and whisper that Nick was secretly in love with him. Now, he knew that was all a lie. Nick wouldn't of run off had she loved him as much as Teresa said. Or perhaps the death of her family had driven her to the brink of insanity. But why here, and why would she use Tate. What could possibly be here that she needed to ruin her family's name over?

He began to ride down the street, his mind trying desperately to come up with an answer and excuses for Nick. He hated himself for the way he treated her, and had always known how beautiful she was. Nick was a rancher, and a damn good one. Everyone in town said so, but he just didn't want to give up on the dream that she would be his little house wife. Had he appreciated Nick for who she was, then he would be sleeping in Honeycomb that night. Nick would be laying beside him, a wedding band on her finger. Or perhaps, he would still be here. He had no idea why Nick had come this far, and with a known killer to boot.

As his horse turned the corner, he watched a woman run out of the inn he was staying at. She looked directly up to him, though the bottom half of her face was covered with a handkerchief, he could never mistake those eyes.

"Nick?" Avery said, as she looked up at him in horror.

Andy came running out of the building, and looked up at the familiar sheriff. "We got to go!" He yelled at her, and Avery watched both Nick and him run off into the distance.

Avery heard muffled cries, and looked behind him at the people bound and gagged against the building. He smelt the familiar scent of burning wood, and his eyes shot over to the inn. The fire had just started, and Avery didn't know what to do first.

Finally he road over to one of the bound people, and untied one. Ordering them to untie the others, and get help for the burning building. When he was sure it was under control, he jumped on his horse and headed in the direction he had seen Nick and Andy run off in. It was a dark night, and he could barely make out the details of the world around him. The further he got from Redrock the darker it became.

The only reason he kept going was because he heard the sound of distance horses stomping into the dirt below him. He refused to stop, this was probably his only chance to find out what was going on. If Paul and the others got to her first, then he would never get the opportunity to convince her to come back home to Honeycomb. He knew Nick and she would open her mouth and say things she shouldn't.

The horse ride took two hours, but he eventually found himself in front of a log cabin. Several dark human shaped figures in the distance stood near the porch stairs. When he dismounted, they came over to investigate the visitor. Everyone recognized him, once he was close enough to be seen by the lanterns.

"Avery!" Nick chirped in fear.

"Nicolette Caroline Beldin, what is God's name are you doing? Did you set that inn on fire? Are you the one going around burning down buildings?" Avery shouted, when he was certain they weren't going to pull their pistols on him.

"What are you doing here? Did you follow me?" Nick responded with her own questions.

"Damn straight I followed you, Nick. Do you have any idea who you have fallen into lot with? That's Tatius Norcliff. Your father is rolling over in his grave! What has gotten into you?"

Tate and the other two men stayed behind her, and they seemed ready to draw their weapons if Avery made any sudden moves.

"There is a group of sheriffs after Norcliff, they've been following him for twelve years! If they find out that he really didn't kidnap you like I said, then they won't have any trouble killing you, Nick. Do you have any idea what you have done?"

Nick hadn't gotten a chance to put a word in, and only stood in amazement that Avery was even there. She wasn't certain it had been him when they ran out of the inn, and Andy had tried to convince her that she was wrong.

"So, what do you have to say for yourself?" Avery barked.

"I'm here for revenge. Brody killed my family!"

He stood in shock for a moment, and Rock crossed his arms defiantly behind her. "Brody? Are you certain?"

She nodded, "He had some hired gunmen go to Honeycomb and kill my father, I don't know why. Tate thinks it's because he might of owed him a debt."

Shaking his head, he took a step towards her. "Listen Nick, Brody is a dangerous man. You've done enough already, let this end. We can go back home to Honeycomb, and forgot all this ever happened."

"No, I have to…"

Avery shook her, "Nicolette! Listen to me! This is going to get you killed. Do you honestly think this is what your father would want? For you to make yourself into some kind of criminal?"

"My father wouldn't want to of died for nothing!"

"And he is going to if you die here. You are all he had left in the world, and all he ever wanted was for you to live a happy life. None of this is going to do you or him any good."

She looked to the ground, but Avery shoved her face back up.

"Don't man handle her!" Tate stepped forward and pushed him off her.

Avery was scared that the man had touched him, but tried to ignore him completely, "Nick, please, let's just go back to Honeycomb."

"I can't, I sold the ranch. There is nothing there for me."

He grabbed her shoulders again, ignoring Tate who was standing beside her, "Look, I have a thousand dollars that I was saving up. With the money you already have, we could go back and buy the ranch. I'm sure he'll sell it back to you. And if he doesn't then we can start a new one."

"What do you mean we?" Nick asked, he was frightening her with the passion he was displaying in his voice.

"I'll help you start a new one. Me, Rock, and Andy… I'll do whatever you want. Just please let this end."

She could see how upset he was, it was written all over his face. Avery was genuinely concerned about her well-being. She was at a loss for words, as she had never seen him act as if he truly cared for her.

Tate saw it too, and he knew the man was right. "He makes a good offer, Nick. Maybe it would be best for you to go back to your home. You know your pa wouldn't want this."

Nick turned her eyes to Tate, "What about you?"

"Ah, don't worry about me. I'll head out west, start my life anew like I had planned before we met." He couldn't believe how badly his heart ached in those moments, after hearing her so willing. Though he would let her go for her own safety, and not put up a fight. He cared enough about her to not try to keep her somewhere that she might get hurt. The words he had spoken to her earlier that day meant nothing.

Avery nodded, "Everyone wins this way, Nick. Someone could die, I don't know what you are planning on doing. Just please don't do it anymore. I love you, Nick, with all my heart. I don't want to see you get hurt or worse. Please, let this end."

Tate swallowed, when he heard Avery speak those words, he realized that was what he had meant to say earlier that day. It was too late now, Avery had already said them, and Nick was about to leave his life forever.

"No, Avery. This is something that I have to do." Nick's words shocked everyone. "I don't care what my father would think. I don't care if I could get hurt. I just couldn't live with myself if I didn't do something. This man has to be punished."

"Nick, please." Avery begged.

"No, go home! Get out of here and get on with your life, Avery. Stop worrying about me. If I told you once, then I told you a thousand times, I do not want to marry you. I do not love you!" She yanked her arms out of his grasp. "Now, get on that horse and leave. If you are planning on tell your sheriff friends where we are then so be it. I…"

"I would never do anything to hurt you, Nick." Avery told her, "If I told them, then they would come out here to kill you." He sighed and kicked the ground beneath him, "Reconsider, please? I know this isn't the Nicolette that I have always known."

"You never knew me, Avery. All you ever knew was the woman that you wanted me to be."

He nodded his head, "I know, and I'm sorry." He looked up towards Andy and Rock, they were both glaring at him, just waiting for him to make a wrong move. "I'm willing to accept you no matter what just please…"

"No, Avery. I have to do this."

Another loud sigh sprang from his lips, "Alright, Nicolette. If this is what you want to do, then I'm not going to stop you." He went to gather his horse, and they followed him. When he had his reigns in his hand, he turned to face her. "If… if you make it out alright, then send me a letter so I will know."

Nick nodded, "I will."

He went to mount his horse, but changed his mind. Turning back to Nick, he opened his arms up to her and gave her a hug. "I wish you wouldn't do this, but I know how stubborn you are."

She didn't hug him back, but when he stepped away she smiled at him. "Thanks, Robert."

"Nah, I prefer Avery now. Apparently it's a nice name, so said another lady. Guess you were right all along." He mounted the horse, while Nick chuckled.

"Bye, Avery."

He turned his horse and began to head down the road, "Bye Nick." He yelled before disappearing into the darkness.

Nick let out a loud sigh of relief, "I told you that was Avery." She spun around and punched Andy in the arm.

Andy chuckled as he rubbed his upper arm, "Well, I d-didn't expect h-him to come all the way u-up here."

"Neither did I." Rock said, "That was kind of awkward."

"He left a lot easier then I thought, though." Nick spoke as she looked down the road.

"Ah, he got use to you rejecting him." Rock jested.

Nick laughed, "Well, it's time to get some sleep. We have to get up early." She said that words in hope that Avery was as good as his word, and not tell anyone of their location. He was a lawman after all, and she wouldn't blame him if he did. She only hoped his love for her out weighed his loyalty to the law.

Everyone agreed that it was time to head to bed. As they were walking up the stairs, Nick grabbed Tate's upper arm as Rock and Andy disappeared into the cabin.

"You were going to let me go, weren't you?" Nick asked him.

Tate took off his hat, and fan himself with it. "Well, yeah. I've been telling you that you shouldn't do this all along."

"But you asked me to give you a chance, remember?"

He nodded and put his hat back on, "I remember, but…" Stopping himself, he decided that he didn't want to finish telling her why he would of let her go.

"But, what?" Nick crossed her arms.

Tate grinned, "Don't go fishing in a dry pond, Nick."

"I'm not fishing, only trying to get you to say what you really mean."

She was ready to hear it now, even though it had only been a few hours since their last talk. After talking with Avery, she realized that she had made a decision about her future, and she needed to continue to be as head strong with all her choices in life.

"I'm ready to hear what you have to say." Nick added, when Tate remained quiet.

"I really don't have anything else to say. Think I made myself clear enough, that I wanted to gain your affections. I'm going to prove to you that I'm a honest man, after all this is over. You'll see." He started up the stairs.

"Would you of been bothered had I gone with Avery? If you never saw me again, Tate?"

He stopped with his hand on the door, and his back to her. "Bothered? Probably not."

She felt her heart drop.

"Haunted for the rest of my days? Probably so. Not many things in the world that I regret doing, but letting you leave me would of ranked pretty high. I don't like unfinished business, that's one of my reasons for being here now." He pushed the door open.

"How high would it rank?"

The door slammed shut, but he kept his back to her. "What do you want me to say, Nick?"

He heard her walk up the steps, and could feel the heat radiate from her body behind him. "I need to know now, Tate. Don't just play games with me like you have done with other women. I couldn't take it if you were lying to me. I've had my fill of liars, cheats, and jackasses. If I'm only going to be a game then lets just forgot the whole thing now, so when this is all over we will still be friends."

The words he wanted to say were right on the tip of his tongue, but his heart was blocking his throat. He couldn't speak a word of it.

"I mean it, Tate, if you have any respect for me at all, then tell me now."

"Rock and Andy don't think that I am good enough for you, I have to prove…"

"To hell with Rock and Andy." Nick interrupted him, "You don't have to prove anything to anyone but me. All you have to do is say the words to me, Tate, and I'll believe you."

Turning around, he leaned against the door with his hands behind him. Nick was leaning against the porch railing in the same fashion. "What words?" He asked, his voice trembled with his nervousness.

Nick gave a half grin that showed her disappointment, "Forget it, Tate. I see the truth now." Walking towards him, she grabbed the doorknob to twist it, but he grabbed her wrist.

Looking up into his dark eyes, she saw the intensity in his eyes. "No, you don't. I just don't know what to say to make you believe me. The only thing I can think to do is prove it with my actions when this is all over, prove it to myself and to you."

"Prove what?" Nick pulled her hand from his grasp.

"Prove that I can be a honest man."

She sighed, "Why, Tate?"

'Say the damn words.' were his thoughts at that moment, but his pride refused to let him say anything else.

In his eyes, she could see a battle playing out between heart and mind. He didn't want to prove himself to Andy or Rock or even her that his feelings were true. Tate wanted to prove to himself that he could be a good man, and that he could treat her right. He was afraid that he would eventually walk away from her, and didn't want to make any commitments that he wouldn't keep.

"Do you love me, Tate?" The words flowed from her lips, and Tate stood in shock. The question was between them now, and he knew that he needed to answer it. He couldn't let something like that remain empty.

His heart begged him to answer the question, but his mind told him to just walk away. You can always repair an unanswered question, but you can't take an answer back.

Her eyes stared up into his eyes as she waited for his reply, she could see the thought process and knew he was arguing with himself internally. She had seen her father do it a hundred times before whenever he was forced to make a touch choice. Her patience remained intact not wanting to rush his answer, knowing that he could easily be scared away.

"I… I don't know." Tate finally answered the question. He had never been in love before and wasn't sure if that was what he felt towards her. "I feel differently towards you, no other woman has made me feel this way before."

"Alright, Tate. I won't push you for an answer." Nick grinned, and reached for the doorknob, when she opened it she stepped through.

Rose was asleep in her chair, her mouth wide open. Both Tate and Nick laughed as they made their way upstairs. Tate entered into his bedroom with the other two, as Nick continued down the hall to Rose's room. They didn't even mumbled the words goodnight to each other.

---***---
Inside her room, Nick threw her hat on the dresser and pulled out the gray night gown that Rose had given her to sleep in. After changing she sat down on the bed and ran her hands over her face and hair.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Nick asked herself. "This afternoon you were half scared to death that he would admit he loved you, and then you practically force him to tell you." She mumbled the words.

She took a deep breath, "Barely know the man, and already trying to get him to admit to things that you don't even know you feel yourself."

Her head shot up when she heard the knock at the door. Standing up, she opened it to see Tate pressed into the doorway with his hands. He looked around the room, he could of sworn he had heard her talking to someone. His hat was missing and his hair was down, as well as his shirt being partly unbuttoned, and pulled from his pants. There were no boots on his feet either. He looked as if he had started to get ready for bed and then changed his mind.

"If I let you go, I really would of regretted it the rest of my life, you know?" Tate asked her.

Nick nodded, "I believed ya."

"Do you really? I mean, can you ever trust me? A murderer like me, I've done a lot of terrible things in my life, Nick. Things that I would never imagine telling you about, afraid of what you might think of me."

She grinned, "I don't care about what you have done, Tate. I know who you are now, nothing you could say could change my mind."

His hands dropped to his side, "I killed a man in front of his children because he didn't pay his due to Brody. Shot him right in the head."

"Was he shooting back at ya?"

He nodded.

"So, it was self defense, really?"

"No, I started shooting first."

Nick grinned, "But he wasn't defenseless?"

"What does that matter? Almost every man I have ever killed had a gun of his own, minus a few."

She crossed her arms and waited for him to continue.

"First man I killed for you was drunk and didn't have any guns. He was running away…"

"Tate, are you trying to scare me away? Is that it? If you don't want me, like you have lead me to believe then just say so. Tell me now, so you won't hurt me later."

He shook his head, "I don't know what I am doing."

Nick laughed internally, "Alright, well, maybe you can confess your sins to me when I'm not half dead from exhaustion. I'll listen to them tomorrow."

He rose an eyebrow, "You'll hate me after tomorrow then."

She shook her head, "I guarantee you that I won't. Goodnight, Tate."

"Goodnight."

With that she shut the door, and sat back down on the bed. No sooner had she sat down then another knock came to the door.

Standing up she flung the door open, "What?"

Tate glared down at her, "I… I don't want you to know."

"Alright, then don't tell me. Goodnight." She went to shut the door, but he put his foot in the way. Opening it back up she looked up at him, "What?"

"I'm half injun."

Nick laughed, "Yeah, I met your mother, remember? Stayed with your tribe for a while…after Rock got beat up, pretty bad. Was named Mahpehe'e. Any of that ring a bell?"

Tate grinned, "Mahpehe'e." He mumbled the name.

"Makeeta." Nick said back to him.

"My name is Evâsova, not Makeeta… that was my name as a boy." He growled.

Nick smiled, "I refuse to call you butcher. Now, I think it's time for bed, don't you?"

"Yeah, probably." Tate removed his foot, "Goodnight, Nick."

"Goodnight for good this time." She said and shut the door, only to hear a knock before she was even half way to the bed. Turning around she opened the door, and tried not to laugh when she found Tate standing there. "Tate, if you have something to say then just come out and say it. I really want to get to sleep."

"I love you, Nick." He blurted the words.

She stood in front of him, not moving or talking her eyes wide. Her heart was beating so hard that she thought for certain it would jump right out of her chest.

"I mean it, Nick. I lied on the porch, I never felt this way towards a woman, but I knew it was love. I don't want to regret never telling you if one of us dies during the next job. So, I said it, there you have it." He wasn't sure what else to say, and was afraid of the shocked look that Nick was making. "Nick?" He asked after a moment of silence.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting to hear that just now." Nick finally responded.

He nodded, "You don't have to say it back. I just wanted to make sure I said it before…"

"I love you too, Tate." Nick interrupted him, "So, please stop rambling."

Tate suddenly understood the shock that Nick had felt when he blurted the words out to her. There was an uncomfortable silence between them, and he wasn't sure if he should just walk away or try to kiss her. Finally he made up his mind, and step towards her. Nick didn't shy away from him, as he placed his hands on her upper arms.

She looked into his eyes, and watched him bring his lips down to her. "I'm going to kiss you now, Nick. You ain't going to hit me or anything, right?"

She watched some of his hair fall into his face, before she chuckled at his question, "I can't promise anything."

"Think I'll take my chances then."

Before she could respond with a retort of her own, his dry lips pressed against her own. Immediately, she felt the prickly hairs of his unshaved face press against her skin. His hands slid up her shoulders to take hold of her face, as he continued to gently kiss her lips. She felt awkward as she hadn't expected Tate to be so tender with his kisses, but after a moment she melted into his embrace. Running her hands up his harden chest, she cupped his face in them. In response, Tate dropped his arms behind her, and pulled her body close to his own.

Parting her lips, she allowed Tate to entwine his tongue with her own. His hands began to run up and down her back side, and though she became uncomfortable when they came to close to her bottom, she allowed him to continue his explorations. With each return his hands made to her upper back, he squeezed her tighter to his own body. Nick gently sucked his tongue, which forced a low moan from his throat.

Feeling his right hand slid from her back to her stomach, it began up her body as he tried to probe deeper into her mouth. When his fingers touched her breast, Nick dropped her hands to his chest and pushed away from him.

"No." She whimpered, and crossed her arms to hide her chest.

Tate's hands shot into the air, "I'm sorry, I got lost in the moment." He wanted to smack himself in the forehead, and ask what he had been thinking. Nick wasn't that kind of woman, and he knew there was a lot more to prove to her before he could get that close. "It won't happen again, I promise."

Turning around he reached for the door, but Nick grabbed his hand. "Don't leave. I just won't do that type of thing with you, not yet."

Tate reached out for her and hugged her tightly against him. He kissed her jaw line up to her ear, and then let her go. "If I stay, I would only try it again. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." Nick said as she watched him step out into the hallway.

She stood at the door for sometime, waiting to hear that familiar knock again. It never came, so she made her way to the bed. Laying her head down on the pillow, she grinned softly to herself. With a firm nod, she decided that from now on she would stick beside her decisions, and always make a clear choice in every matter. She had allowed Andy and Rock to clog her judgment, and choose a path for her when it came to Tate. She wouldn't allow them to do that again. Had she of stumbled before, then she would of given into Teresa's demands and married Avery a long time ago.

Even with all that had happened, Nick needed to remember exactly who she was. She was Nicolette Beldin, the woman who always knew what she wanted and where she was going. Perhaps Tate would be a bad decision, but she had finally chosen one way or another. No one was going to tell her how to live her life or who to love or not to love again.