Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 25

Her eyes shot open as the sun light shined in through the window and onto her back. Sitting up, Nick looked around the room before placing her feet firmly on the creaking floorboards. She pulled on her pants, as she thought about what chores she would do that day. As she was buttoning up her shirt, she thought of Avery. She felt terrible about how she treated him, he had such a sincere look in his eyes. Had Tate not been staring at them, she might of left with him.

Left with him? She questioned herself, what could she be thinking? She needed to ensure justice for her father, Hank, Teresa, and the twins. Yet, Avery reminded her of home. He even smelt like home, standing so close to her. She remembered how she used to go the long way around town, just so she didn't have to walk by his office. Or how Misses Beacon, Randal's wife, would always have the end of the season pies for them. Mostly, she remembered when Avery and her were just children, before Andy came to the ranch. James use to bring Avery along with him when he visited the ranch. Her father would let her run off with them while he tended to the cattle. Back then she was more of a distraction to her father then a needed ranch hand. The three of them would explore the creek, play tag, and other imaginary games. Nick smiled when she recalled a time when she was pretending to be a fair maddened kidnapped by James. They both ran off together and Avery had to hunt them down. When Avery finally won, James insisted that the two of them kiss. He kept saying the hero always kisses the damsel after he saves her.

When they got back to the ranch, James was still telling them to do it. Finally, Jacob asked him what it was that he was all worked up about. When James told him, Jacob smiled widely before turning to Avery.

"You know, he is right." Jacob said, "You should always kiss the damsel after a rescue."

Avery turned a hundred shades of red, before planting a gentle kiss on Nick's cheek. Her father didn't let her forget that moment for years. It was an embarrassing moment back then, but now it was a sweet memory of childhood.

Nick sighed and wished she could have her childhood back. Before the boys her age were interested in marriage, when she could just be their friend.

Finding her way down the stairs, Tate was sitting at the table with the others. As soon as she was in sight, he stood up, and mumbled something about getting to work. Nick felt her heart clench up, she had forgotten about what occurred between them the night before. After a moment, she became upset and wondered why he had walked away. Suddenly, he was avoiding her after they kissed, that hardly seemed fair. Unless… Nick swallowed, maybe he was just trying to get into her bed.

Could it be that it was all a lie? He had said he loved her, didn't he? She felt a blush come on, as she remembered her response. If he was just lying to her, then she informed him of her true feelings when he didn't reciprocate them.

"Something the matter?" Rock asked, when Nick just stood by the stairway not moving.

"Ahem." She cleared her throat, and walked over to the table. Picking up an apple, she began to gnaw on it. "Where is Rose?"

"O-out in th-the gar-r-den." Andy responded.

"What are you boys doing together?" Nick asked between bites.

"We fixed about all we can around here. All she has is a goat, a horse, and a donkey. Not much to do." Rock answered her.

"Then where did Tate just go?" She pointed with her index finger at the door.

Andy and Rock shrugged in unison.

"We were talking about going fishing. Stew is getting real old." Rock told her before standing up, "Maybe he went to catch us some worms. Easier to find them in the morning when there is still dew."

Watching them both leave, Nick waited a moment before she stepped outside onto the porch. She could see Rose in the distance with her large sun hat on, bent over and poking at her garden that winter would soon take from her. Her eyes went down to Boss, who was whimpering at the mere sight of his owner.

Shutting the door behind her, she untied her dog. It was as if freedom was too much for him, and he started to run around. Dashing off into the distance, he nearly knocked Rose down when he passed through the garden. She could hear the old woman cursing at Boss, as he ran towards Nick. The dog began to run around her feet in circles.

"Boss, sit!" Nick ordered.

He plopped his butt onto the ground, his tail continued to wag throwing dust into the air.

With a sigh, she headed towards the barn around the side of the cabin. She expected to find Andy there, and was surprised to find it empty except for the animals. Even though she knew Andy would give her the "I told you so" speech, she wanted to talk it over with him. She needed to tell someone what Tate had done, even though she wasn't quite certain yet what he did.

Goliath got her attention by throwing his head up and down. With a smile, she walked over to him and began to stroke down his neck and back. Boss wanted some of her attention as well, and began to tug on her pant leg. Bending over she began to rub his head, as Goliath nudged her with his nose.

"Good Lord!" Nick laughed, "What is with you boys wanting all my attention today?"

She saw the shadow over Boss then, and looked up to see Tate standing in the entry way, hammer in hand. As soon as she spotted him, he turned to walk away.

"Tate!" Nick called out to him.

He stopped walking, and seemed to be making up his mind whether he wanted to keep walking or turn around.

Standing up straight, she watched him begin to walk away from her. She was hurt, but then decided she wanted to know what this was all about. Gathering up her courage, she ran towards him, she grabbed his wrist to turn him towards her.

"I told you to tell me the truth last night, so that you wouldn't hurt me. Do you, remember?" Nick snapped and looked at Tate, who glared down at her in defiance. He, obviously, wanted to be able to walk away from her. "So, what? You thought that I would let you lay with me? Had to give it a shot, didn't you?"

He didn't say anything.

"Thanks, Tate. Thanks a bunch! I thought we were at least friends enough that you wouldn't let me embarrass myself!" She kicked the dirt beneath her towards him, before spinning around to leave.

Tate grabbed her by the wrist, pulling her into his arms. He embraced her, and Nick had to adjust herself, so she wouldn't suffocate on his shirt. His scent smell the same as the night before. The scent of dirt, horse, gun powder, and Tate's unique musk. After a moment, she realized that he was hugging her, but she wasn't about to hug him back. She wanted to know why he was acting so strangely this morning.

"I'm sorry, Nick. Let's forget it ever happened."

She felt her heart drop, "Why?" The word slipped from her lips, she wasn't even sure if she was prepared for the answer.

"I can never be the man that you should have. Who I am will always follow me around like a sickness. After this is all over, I want you to just forget about me." It sounded like the words were painful to speak. Nick was certain that this man had never willing given up anything that he wanted.

She felt better after hearing his words, at least he wasn't trying to use her like he would use a whore. "Don't say things like that, Tate." Nick whispered, as she wrapped her arms around his chest. His stiff form slowly began to soften. "I'm a big girl that can make her own decisions. I know what I am getting into."

"No, I don't think you do." He kissed the top of her head, before trying to end their embrace.

Nick kept a tight hold around his chest, "That may be, but it's my choice. When you love someone you take the good with the bad, that's what my pa always told me. He said that you will never find anyone perfect, you either have to accept another's flaws or be lonely."

He shook his head, "Men hunting me aren't just flaws, Nick."

Lifting her head off his chest, she looked up at him, "Either love me back and worry about things as they come, or regret this moment the rest of your life."

He tried not to grin, but she sounded like his sister for a moment. "I don't want to be the reason you get hurt or worse. I can't…"

"I can get hurt no matter where I go or who I am with." She took a step back, and Tate felt alone standing in front of her without her arms around him. "Question is, do you want to be there to protect me when the danger comes?"

Dropping his head, he stared down at his boots. "I don't want the danger to come because of me."

She crossed her arms, "Have it your way then, Tate. If you don't want to love me, then someone else out there will." Her words were strong, but Nick felt as if she were about to break down and cry.

Tate peered and saw the tears beginning to swell in her eyes, before she twisted around to head back into the bar. "Oh, hell." He mumbled to himself. "Yeah, I want to be there!" He yelled, and watched Nick stop walking.

She didn't turn around to look at him, and he wondered if she was going to use his trick.

With several long strides he was standing behind her, and he placed his hands on her shoulder.

"I'm not interested in your emotional games, Tate. If this is how it's going to be, then let's…"

Spinning her around, he cut off her words with a kiss. His arms around her tightly, she couldn't embrace him in return. Nick tried not to smile, knowing now that he was making sure she couldn't wiggle out of his hold. As sweet as she thought it was, her arms were uncomfortable being clenched at her side.

"Tate." She was able to squeeze out the word, despite his attempts to muffle her. "Pain." She finally got the second word out.

He stepped back, the look of an apology on his face. "This is awkward." He only meant to think the words, but instead he spoke them.

"What the kiss or love?"

"Both."

"It's not meant to be awkward, Tate. Just do what comes naturally to you, and that will be just fine."

"This won't come naturally to me." He wanted to hit himself in the forehead, being this forward with his feelings was not that way that Tatius Norcliff acted.

"It's naturally to everyone." Nick said as she fixed her clothes.

Tate grinned as she fixed herself back up after he had manhandled her. "And when they do come, and they will…"

"Tate, if you want… we will just forget what happened last night. Let's go back to your original plan, where you are trying to prove to yourself that you can be the right man. How about that?"

He crossed his arms and looked off into the distance. "I… I…" He was at a loss for words, as he really didn't know if he wanted to forget.

"I think it would be best anyway. After all, we still have a pretty big task ahead of us, and this might just get in the way. We will discuss it after we are finished with Brody."

Tate stared at her for a moment, and Nick wondered what he could possibly be thinking. "You don't mean that, do you?"

"Mean what?"

"That I would get in your way."

Nick shook her head, "That's not what I meant, Tate, and you know it."

"Fine, we will forget." The words almost stuck in his throat.

"Forgotten." Nick smiled.

"What were we talking about?" Tate teased.

With a laugh, Nick spun around and walked into the barn. Tate watched her for a moment, before turning his back on her.

---***---
Nick looked over her shoulder briefly to see him walk away, and sighed to herself. She had rather hoped he wouldn't agree, but she did drive a hard bargain. For a moment, she almost had herself convinced that it would be a good idea. Well, it was a good idea. They did need to focus on Brody, and finish what they had started.

She smiled to herself as she brought some hay over to Goliath and the other horses. At least now she understood why Tate was so upset. He carried a strange hurt mixed with love in his eyes. A look that made her pity him. She had been hurt only once before by Rock, and though memories brought the pain back, she didn't see them when she looked at him. He was her friend, and she trusted Rock with all her heart. She wondered what had put the pain in Tate's eyes. Was he worried about her? Or was it someone else haunting his memories? With all she knew about him, she realized she actually knew very little.

Nick sighed, before smiling again. She remembered him sitting in Avery's prison cell, and how his face had softened when she approached for the first time. He had recognized her from before with the wolves on her property. Even though she had been a mess that day, somehow he just assumed that she was a safe person. Well, Nick would of liked to think that was the reason anyway.

She felt a hand on her shoulder, and looked at Rock standing behind her. She grinned at him, he had leaves in his hair. Obviously, Natalie was here, but she wondered when she had come. Her horse wasn't in the barn, and she looked over the barn… ok, her horse was here.

"When did Natalie get here?" Nick asked.

"She rode up after we left you in the cabin." He told her. "How did you… oh, the horse."

"No, it was the leaves." She reached up and began to pluck them from his hair.

He chuckled, "Thought I got them all out." He watched her drop a leaf to the ground, and reach up for another.

"You did a terrible job." Nick wrinkled her nose up. Dusting her hands off, she turned towards Goliath.

"What did Tate say to you last night?"

She looked at him out of the corner of her eye, "What?"

"He left the bedroom, and I saw him knock on your door. Is he bothering you, Nick?" Rock folded his arms.

"No, he's not bothering me. And don't even think about beating him up again." She frowned, and turned towards him. "I swear, I will shoot you next time."

He grinned, she didn't mean it and he knew it. "Can you tell me what's going on then?"

Slowly she shook her head, "Nothing is going on."

"Oh, ok, so then the two of you standing outside the barn was just two friends talking… two partners in crime."

"How dare you spy on me." Nick scolded.

"Hey, I wasn't spying. Natalie and I walked out of the woods, and there you two were. If you had looked you would of seen us. We didn't know that this area was off limits until the two of you finished sucking faces."

She tried not to blush, "Is there a point to this conversation?"

"Tate is a dangerous man. He uses women, lies to them, and leaves them." Rock dropped his arms to his side, "End this now, Nick. I don't want to see you get hurt."

"I'm not going to get hurt." Nick snapped, "And if I do, then it's my own damn fault. I wish you and Andy would stay out of my love life. Besides, who the hell are you to judge? You use and leave women all the time. I mean look at Natalie…"

"Do not bring Natalie into this, Nicolette!"

Nick stopped talking, she wasn't prepared for Rock to be so emotional about Natalie. He never seemed to care much for any girl, "Well, looks like I am not the only one around here playing with fire."

He frowned, "What the hell does that mean?"

"I mean that you are getting close to a whore." Nick folded her arms in defiance.

"Don't call her that, and no I am not. She knows we are just playing a game, and… don't say that anymore!"

"Has Danny fallen in love?" She puckered out her lower lip and talked in the voice of a child.

"I have not!"

"Danny wuvs Natalie." She chanted. "Danny wuvs Natalie."

"Shut up, Nick!" Rock snapped looking over his shoulder to make sure no one else could hear him.

"Aww, that's so sweet!" Nick squealed, "You haven't told her, yet, have you?"

"Shut up, Nick, I am serious." He gave her his warning within his eyes. "This isn't about Natalie, this is about you and Tate."

"For a minute, I thought you were jealous. But since you love Natalie, I wonder where this is coming from. Do you think I am a child who can't make her own decisions? Do you think that I don't have the right to chose who I marry? What, please tell me!"

Rock frowned, "For starters, I do not love Natalie. The only person that I am in love with is you!"

Nick's mouth dropped not because of what Rock said, but because Natalie entered the barn at that moment.

"Her job is to sleep with other men! I am not interested in that!"

"Rock…" Nick tried to stop him.

He continued, ignoring him, "Besides the only reason she has even given me a second glance is so that her precious brother can have you to himself. It's a dirty little scheme they came up with together!"

"How… how dare you!" Natalie barked.

Rock's eyes widened as he turned to face the wrath of another woman, "Natalie, what…"

She was next to him within moments and slapped him as hard as she could. Rock didn't even seem hurt by the attack, but he did grab her arm.

Nick spun around and headed out of the back of the barn, this was not something she wanted to watch.

"Natalie, what the hell are you doing in here? I told you that I wanted to speak to Nick alone." Rock shoved her hand down.

"You told her my plan, you swine!" Natalie pushed him, but he didn't move. "And… and…" He said he didn't love her, but she couldn't bring herself to accuse him of it. "So, you love her then? She doesn't return the affection."

Rock saw that she was trying to hold back her tears, "I'm sorry, Natalie. I didn't mean what I said, I was upset that she was taunting me. I just wanted to shock her, I really…"

She shook her head, and walked over to her horse. It was still saddled and ready to go, so she took the reigns and walked it out of the barn.

"Natalie, wait." He stopped her from mounting the horse.

"Don't talk to me anymore, Rock. I… I was stupid. I broke my own damn rule. No freebies and no getting close." She went to mount the horse, but he pulled her down.

"Natalie, I'm sorry."

"You told me that you loved me, Rock. You said that you wanted me to come with you when this was all over. You swore you wanted to marry me. It was all a lie though, wasn't it? I should of known, no man would want a woman like me. You didn't have to lie to me though, you didn't have to make me feel anything for you." The tears came, and she wiped them from her face. "Why? Why did you do that?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. I… I'm sorry, Natalie. Please, don't leave."

She shook her head, "You broke my heart. If I never see you again, it will be too soon."

He watched her mount the horse, but kept a hold of the reigns, even when she tried to jerk them away from him. "Don't leave."

"Let go of the reigns." She snapped.

With that, he dropped the reigns and Natalie began to ride away. "If you let her leave, it'll be the dumbest thing you've ever done in your entire life." Rock thought to himself, "And you've done some pretty dumb things. Why did you say that to Nick? You just don't want anyone to have her if you can't, that's your problem."

Natalie was almost out of sight, when Rock ran into the barn to saddle up his horse. When it was ready, he began in the direction he knew that Natalie would be riding. Her horses speed had slowed, and she stopped when she heard him call her name.

"I'm sorry, Natalie." Rock said again.

"You said that already, it still doesn't make it any better." Natalie said, fighting her tears, even though they were running down her face.

"I love you, Natalie. I honestly do. When this is over, I am going to marry you. Nick, Andy, you, and me will go and make the New Hope Ranch together. I swear."

"Don't lie to me anymore, Rock. I can't deal with this."

He grabbed her reigns before she rode away, "Listen to me. I don't love Nick, I thought I did, well actually I did once. I messed it up, I messed it up bad. She won't ever give me a second chance, and she is right not to. But please, Natalie, what I did was only words."

"Words that hurt."

He nodded, "I know, but we will go back there right now. I will tell Andy, Rose, Nick, and Tate about how much I love you and that I am going to marry you. Then if I don't, Tate will shoot me… or Nick. One of them will definitely kill me."

Natalie tried not to smile, "If you don't mean it, then just leave me alone. I'll send another girl up here for you. You won't have to worry about…"

"I meant it, Natalie. I meant it when I said it before, and I mean it now. I just saw Nick with Tate and I got jealous. I don't want your brother to hurt her."

"He won't hurt her, Rock. Despite popular belief, my brother isn't a womanizer. Hell, half the time, he would take one of the girls at the brothel upstairs, and do nothing but talk to them. Probably more then half the time." Natalie looked back towards the cabin, but it was out of sight. "My mother taught him to respect women. I know my brother, he's torturing himself, afraid that he will hurt her."

"I don't want to see Nick get hurt by a man like that." Rock didn't want to insinuate anything, but decided it was the best was to put it.

"He may not say anything to us, but he loves her. My brother is a very loyal man to those he loves. He may be a killer, but he would never willingly hurt someone he loved."

Rock looked into her sincere eyes, "I'm going to trust you on this, Natalie."

She looked down at the ground, then back up to him, "Then I will trust what you say… one more time."