Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(GG) Chapter 28

Andy and Rock were waiting on their horses, a safe distance out of town. Nick looked over the lights of Redrock, and took a deep sigh. Everyone felt the loud thump of their hearts within their chests. Tonight they would all finish what they started, or die trying. Nick's biggest fear is that some of them wouldn't make it out alive, but it was a reality that she had to face for justice.

"Last chance to turn back." Tate said looking at her.

Without a word, Nick road forward and the others followed closely behind her. Even though it was a short ride, it felt like it took all night to ride into town. The plan was already set, and as soon as they entered Rock and Andy disappeared to set the buildings they had prepared ablaze. Nick and Tate continued on to Glasses and Garters, knowing their prize awaited them there.

Taking a position across the street from the brothel, Nick and Tate waited in silence for the screams that were sure to come. It was dangerous to set more then one building on fire, but they wanted to destroy Brody's empire first and foremost. Then and only then, did Nick want to take his life.

Moments passed like years, until finally the cries of burning buildings could be heard. They continued to wait for Rock and Andy, and for some of Glasses and Garters to clear out. Many people did run from the brothel, but several more entered. No doubt they were preparing to tell Brody that more of his businesses were being destroyed.

The smell of burning wood quickly filled the large city, and the cries of those that lived within soon followed. Rock appeared with a canister in his hand, and Andy soon followed from the other direction. They gave each other nods, and prepared to enter the brothel, but before anyone was able to move several of Brody's men ran from the building. They were soon followed by the man himself.

Nick looked at the short man across the street from her. He was nothing like she had envisioned him to be. Had Tate not pointed him out, she would of assumed he was no more then one of Brody's goons.

"This works better." Tate informed her, "Now, we can go in and get the money, then burn the place without having to worry about him. We can deal with him afterwards."

Nick gave a nod, as she watched the man she had been fixated on for so long disappear into the darkness.

Riding up into Glasses and Garters, they entered into the brothel. Women and men sat around tables, drinking their ale and playing cards. Tate put his revolver in the air, before firing it. Pieces of the wooden ceiling fell atop of him.

"If you don't want to die, get the hell out of here now!" Tate ordered.

Several of the men reached for their guns, but the others were ready for them. Nick held her rifle at the bartender, while they threw the reach of the men out. "Open the cellar door." She ordered calmly.

With a quick nod, the bartender lifted a wooden door underneath his feet. It revealed a stairway down to the cellar, Tate went around the bar and ordered the bartender down the stairs.

Andy and Rock started to prepare the brothel for the final fire, while Nick followed Tate down the stairs. The safe was in the middle of the room that was full of ale kegs and other alcohol. It smelt like mold, and there was a draft.

"What's the combination?" Tate asked.

The bartender shrugged, "I don't…"

He pushed his gun into the man's face, "Don't lie to me, Mart. I know damn well that you know the combination, now open it."

He gave a shrug before kneeling down in front of the safe, as he began to open it, there were gun shots heard from upstairs.

"Looks like some of Brody's men came back." Tate told Nick, "Stay here, and gather the money, I'll take care of them."

Nick held her rifle to the bartender, and when he opened it, he scooted backwards on his rear-end to get out of her way. Nick threw a sack at him, "Fill it up."

He gave a nod, and began to stuff the sack as best he could. Gun shots continued upstairs, causing Nick's heart to race all the faster. She was afraid of who might come out the victor, and wondered if Rock and Andy were alright.

"No more will fit." Mart, the bartender, mumbled the words with fear.

Nick snatched the bag from him, "Set the rest on fire."

"Wh-what?" He stuttered, and seemed to be confused.

"You heard me, use the lantern over there."

With a nod, he crawled over to the lantern that was sitting atop of one of the kegs. Standing up, he walked back over to the safe and threw the lantern into it. The glass shattered, and the money began to burn.

"Upstairs, now." Nick ordered him, once the gun fire has stopped.

When they appeared from the cellar, Andy was holding his bleeding arm, but Rock and Tate seemed to be alright. Six men lay dead on the floor, several of the tables had been tossed over to be used as protection.

"Get out of here, Mart." Tate ordered.

The scared old man, looked hesitantly over his shoulder at Nick to ensure that she was alright with that command. She gave a nod, and he ran from the brothel.

"Here!" Rock threw a canister of kerosene at her, "Get the upstairs!"

Nick caught it and ran up the stairs, and began to pour the liquid on the ground and beds.

When they were done, everyone went outside to watch the brothel burn. Tate threw a torch from the porch onto the liquid, and ran away from the burst of flames. Nick gave a deep swallow, as she watched Brody's precious Glasses and Garters begin to burn away into nothing but ash. Like her home had done, not long ago.

---***---
After several moments of watching the building burn, the cry came from down the street. It was angry, yet full of pain at the same time. Nick watched Brody approach them, he was wearing nothing more then his pajamas, boots, and a hat. Two men were behind him, as he ran down the street to look at the flames that were engulfing his brothel.

Everyone held their guns up on both sides, and Brody noticed immediately that his enemies guns were pointed only at him.

"Why? Why have you done all this?" Brody snarled with anger.

"Tell them to drop their guns." Nick ordered.

He looked back at his men, then turned his eyes to her with a grin. "Seems we are at a stand still."

"No, we are not. As long as you die, Brody, I don't care what happens to me afterwards. Now, they can either drop their weapons or we can all die right now." Nick barked her order.

He waved his hand downward, and the men behind him lowered their revolvers. "Who are you?"

"Tell me, why, Brody. My father was Jacob Beldin, owner of the Honeycomb Ranch in Honeycomb. Why did you send your men to kill him?"

Brody gave another ratty grin, "Oh, all this for revenge, is it? Well, you certainly take retribution quite seriously. I'll tell you what, let's let bygones be bygones. With a head like that on your shoulders, you and I could be business partners."

"You don't have anything left, Brody. You are already in the position…"

He interrupted her, "It's true that you rid me of my prospects here in Redrock, but I am not the type of men to put all my eggs in one basket." His eyes turned to Tate, "This one could of told you that."

Nick didn't turn her attention from Brody, but directed her next question to Tate, "What does he mean?"

Tate shrugged, "He's just trying to turn us against each other, ignore him."

Nick swallowed, "I want to know why you killed my father, Brody. Did he owe you money?"

Brody chuckled, "I can hardly remember." He stepped backwards when he heard Tate's gun cock, "Oh yes, Honeycomb Ranch. I wanted to buy it, but he refused. I could of made that man richer then his wildest dreams. Damn stubborn man, wouldn't hear me out."

"That has been my family's home for generations. It's history was worth more then you ever could afford." Nick spat.

Brody nodded, "Yes, your father told me that same thing. However, seems that didn't stop you from leaving it behind." He grinned, "Oh, and thank you for selling to my partner William Beacon. He got a much better deal with you, then I ever offered your father."

"You son of…" Nick stepped forward and began to pull her trigger.

The men behind Brody picked up their guns, and Nick let go of the trigger.

"Like I said, Miss Beldin, a stand still. You want to die no more then I do." Brody grinned.

Shots rang out through the empty street, and Brody heard the bodies of his guards fall to the ground. Both Andy and Rock dropped their guns to their sides, after firing them.

Brody swallowed deeply, before looking at the burning building beside them. The heat from the fire was making everyone begin to sweat. "Of course, you do out number us."

Nick gave a nod, before lowering her gun, taking a long deep breath, she turned her rifle so that she was holding the barrel.

"Not use to death, Miss Beldin?" Brody asked, as he looked over his shoulder at the two dead men behind him.

Nick brought up her rifle, and slammed it into the side of his face. Brody stumbled backwards, as Nick did it several more times, until Brody was on the ground.

"Turn over!" Nick screamed at the man who was laying on his stomach, holding onto his bloody face.

Brody spit out one of his teeth, and wiped the blood away from his ear, before following her request. "Please." He begged, when Nick stood over him and slammed the rifle down again into his nose. The cracking of bones came quickly after Nick hit him several times over.

Finally, she stepped backwards, not even realizing that Tate and the others were begging her to stop. Brody sat up, and held onto his broken nose.

"Don't kill me." He begged.

"My father didn't want to die either, Brody." Nick's words were eerily calm. "He wanted to live his life like he always had on our ranch. Never did he ask for any trouble from you, but you are nothing buy a greedy, gutless old man. My father was a good man! A good man!"

Brody nodded, and his eyes turned to the building across the street. The fear on his face vanished, "Delia, run away!" He screamed.

Nick turned to watch a dark haired girl, no older then sixteen come running down the pathway. Her hair was pulled back in a braid, and her dress a light shade of purple.

"Please, don't hurt him!" Delia cried out, as she fell to her knees beside him. "What did my pa ever do to you?" She wrapped her arms around Brody.

Nick picked up her rifle, and aimed it at Brody, "Tell her to get out of the way, Brody, or she goes with you."

Brody held his daughter at arms length, "Delia, go find somewhere safe. Please, I am begging you!"

"No, pa, no! I don't understand, why are they doing this?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

Nick felt Tate come to stand beside her, and Rock and Andy appeared soon after. Andy placed his hand on her shoulder, and brought his lips to her ears, "You aren't like this, Nick. If you do this now, in front of her, you are just as evil as he is."

Nick ignored him, "Tate, grab her!"

Tate shook his head, "No, Nick, it's over. It's gone far enough, let's just forget about it now."

Brody pulled his daughter close, "Yes, it's over. I swear on that. Please, just let me live."

"Why? You didn't do it for my father. He didn't want to be murdered in front of my eyes." Nick's voice returned to calm.

"I'm sorry, Miss Beldin. I am." Brody began to cry.

Nick heard the words, and through her anger, she felt the old Nicolette. The one that had told her from the beginning that this was a bad idea. She had been gone for so long, that Nick no longer trusted anyone, not even herself. But somehow, Brody's words, had called the former her back. Nick lowered her gun, and dropped her head.

"Thank you." Brody cried out.

Nick look back up at Brody, "Know that I spared your daughter from the pain you did not spare me from."

He gave a nod, as Nick turned around to find her horse and finally be rid of all that had happened here.

---***---
Natalie ran from the house with Boss close behind her, when she heard the sounds of horses coming down the road. Her horse was packed and ready to begin the long journey to California, however to her utter dismay, she saw that they were one horse short. Afraid that someone had been killed, she stood by the road waiting to hear what she feared.

Andy was the first to meet her, blood stained his shirt, and Natalie knew then that they would not be leaving that night. Tate and Rock slowed their horses, as Natalie watched Andy head into the house. Rock gave her a gently kiss, before stabling the horses.

"What happened? Is Nick alright?" Natalie asked her brother, afraid for the worst.

He nodded, "She just needs to clear her head, things aren't what they seemed."

"Is Brody…"

"No. She let him live, and I am not sure how that sits with her." Tate cleared his throat as a moment of silence passed. "I am not coming with you to California, Natalie." He pulled his guns and offered them to her, "Turn these in, you'll get my bounty. Should help start the ranch up."

Natalie shook her head, "No, you need them."

"I won't be using them again, they are… well, they are the old Tate's guns." He shoved them into her arms, before turning around the mount his horse.

"You are leaving now?" Natalie squeaked.

"Think it would be best. I'm going to head to Waluville. Chris has family there, that's probably where he went to hide. I want him to know that everything is alright now. Who knows, maybe he and I will find something to do." Tate grinned down at his sister.

"I wish you would reconsider, Tate. Talk to Nick, and…"

He held up his hand, "Nick and I talked. We decided this was best." With that he turned his horse away from her.

"Will we see each other again?" Natalie asked with tears in her eyes.

Tate stopped his horse to look at her over his shoulder, "No, don't reckon we will, Natalie. You take care of yourself. Make sure that Rock never gets away with anything… I think, he'll make sure your safe."

Natalie nodded, "Be careful, Tate."

He grinned again at his sister, "You turn in those guns, consider it my wedding gift to you."

"Bye, Tate."

He waved before continuing forward down the road, away from everything that he wanted to keep.

Natalie watched as his shadow disappeared into the darkness. Rock came to stand beside her, and placed his arm around her shoulder.

"He'll be alright, Natalie." Rock said then kissed her temple.

She nodded, "I know, he always is. I wish…" She sighed, "Don't really know what I wish. I guess I just want him to be happy, and he always runs away from what makes him just that."

Rock sucked on his lower lip for a moment, "Sounds familiar. Don't worry none, Natalie. I honestly don't believe we've seen the last of him."

She smiled up at him, "Oh, I think we have."

---***---
"Got a bounty, I'd like to turn in." Rock stood in front of the Redrock sheriff.

The young sheriff looked up at him with a deep scowl, "Oh yeah, where is it?"

Rock dropped the guns onto the table, "Tatius Norcliff, don't think I would bring a man like that in alive, do you?"

Picking up the guns, he looked them over, before checking for the flyer. "Well, I'll be… don't really think this proves you killed him, but the bounty does ask for his guns." He shrugged, "Ain't my money." Turning around he yelled for a man to come to him, "Get the bounty for Tatius Norcliff, seems the law finally caught up with him."

Rock tried to appear like the bounty hunters that Natalie had told him about. Cold and unemotional, but instead he was afraid that he would be recognized. Nick had wanted to do it herself, but Natalie told her that there were no female hunters. Rock watched them drag several bags of money out to him, he picked them up and threw them over his shoulders.

"Thank you, kindly. Oh, and I want those guns back. Souvenirs." Rock said with a grin.

Sheriff shook his head, "No, we keep these."

"Just says, I got to show them to you. Doesn't say you get to keep 'em." Rock spit onto the ground.

The sheriff glared at the wet spot on his floor, as he offered the guns back to Rock. "I hope you aren't staying in our fine town."

Rock grinned again, "Nah, be heading out east. Heard there are plenty of bounties with the war going on, and all."

Watch the large man leave, the sheriff sat back down in his chair.

"Think Norcliff is really dead?" The young man asked the sheriff.

"Hell, no. But would rather not have all that money sitting around. Besides, that'll be the last time we have someone trying to scam us out of it. He had the guns, who are we to call him a liar."

Rock walked towards their horses, and smiled at everyone who was waiting for him. They split up the money behind the sheriffs office and away from the ashes of the brothel. Once everyone had a fair share to carry, they began to head west.

They were a good distance out of town, when the sound of another horse approaching them caused them to slow their pace. The horse was familiar to everyone, and Penny smiled as she stopped in front of them.

"Good Morning." She smiled at Nick, "I saw ya all leave town, just wanted to apologize for all the trouble that I've caused."

Nick nodded, "It's alright."

Penny shook her head, "No, it's not. Tate and I had a talk last night, when the town was still burning." She smiled with tears in her eyes, "Could we talk? Alone?" She asked Nick.

Nick gave a nod, "I'll catch up."

Everyone gave a nod and continued forward. Most wondering what Penny was about to tell Nick. Andy didn't truly want to leave her alone with the woman, but knew that it was Nick's choice.

After twenty minutes, Nick appeared behind them. She didn't seem interested in taking the lead, instead was lost in her own thoughts.

Natalie slowed her horse, so she could ride behind with Nick. "You know, we should return Tate's guns to him."

Nick looked at her with a frown, "Thought he told you that he didn't want them anymore?"

She shrugged, "He says a lot of things that he doesn't mean. You have to learn to read between what he says. In truth he was telling me, I love those guns, but I'm afraid they will remind me not of the terrible things that I done, but really of the woman that I protected with them."

Nick frowned, "I don't think Tate every thinks that deeply."

"You would be surprised." Natalie grinned, "He said he was heading to Waluville. That's where he thinks his friend, Chris, went. Besides, I think he deserves some of the money, don't you? He sure did earn it."

Nick gave a grin, "You don't ever give up do you?"

Natalie shook her head, "Nope, not really."

"Twenty years from now, you'll still be trying to get me to go out and find him, won't you?"

She shrugged, "I might even ruin any other potential husbands for you, until you resolve this."

"Is this what Tate had to go through?"

"Yep, it's part of being a sister."

Nick's grin turned into a smile, "Never had a sister."

"Tell you what. You listen to what Tate says…"

"I did listen, and I didn't like what I was hearing. He did something to me that I could never forgive, and…"

"He didn't do it, Nick. Why can't you just believe that?"

Nick dropped her head and her smile faded, "Not about believing him, Natalie. I want to believe him, but I can't trust a man like that. Not now, not ever."

Natalie frowned, "He's my brother, Nick. He's done some terrible things in his lifetime. I know that he's afraid of anything good that happens to him, because he knows it'll turn into something bad. I know that he's only letting you slip away, because he's afraid of what evil his love will bring onto you. But most of all, I know that he needs someone like you that won't give up on him. Even if you aren't his wife, he needs you to be his friend."

"Why is that?"

Natalie looked down at the reigns in her hand, "Because, you believed that he could be something more then an outlaw. That meant a lot to him, even though he never said so. If he finds Chris, there is no doubt in my mind, that they both will return to what they have always done."

Nick sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Nick, just let him come to California with us."

"I never said he couldn't come." Nick snapped.

She nodded, "I know, but he needs to hear you ask him to. He needs to know that you can forgive him, like you forgave Rock. Please?"

Again she sighed, "We will give him money and his guns, but I won't beg him to come with us, Natalie."

She grinned, "That's fine!"