Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(EOO) Chapter 6

“Have I done something?” I asked when I entered into my new bedroom. I was surprised to see that it matched almost exactly to the bedroom back home. The only thing that was different was the placement of the windows and the fireplace. Instead of being in the center against the wall, the fireplace was between the two windows.

Blaine was laying down on the bed with his face in the pillow. “What are you speaking of?”

“In the carriage, you were aggravated with me. I want to know…” I stopped speaking when Colina entered the room with another set of luggage.

With a bow, she left without a word. I returned my eyes to Blaine, “I merely didn’t pack enough books, I don’t…”

He sat up from his bed and glared over at me, “When I tell you to pack anything you will need for entertainment, then ensure that you do. If you can’t follow simple instructions, then you will suffer the consequences. Do you understand what you have done now?”

“I just want to buy a book or two while I am here. I most likely would have wanted to buy one or two if I had come here with the manor’s entire library. Why…”

“Because you didn’t follow my instructions, that’s why. Didn’t I tell you that my say was final? Don’t purchase any books. Perhaps, next time you will remember to pack enough and then you can buy some while you are here.”

“That seems unfair.” I came to stand at the end of the bed, and his eyes followed me.

“What is unfair is that you would waste my money on something that we already have at home.”

I stand on the edge of the bed, “This is ludicrous. Are you saying that had I brought enough books with me that you would allow me to buy more? What would have been the point then?”

“My word is final. You will not change my mind, Valora. Now, why don’t you investigate the manor. Get them to change anything to suit your liking. Perhaps, you should ask them to prepare a small garden for you here. I am sure the servants can take care of it for you, while you are away.” He laid back down and wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. “I am exhausted, so please just let me sleep.”

My frown deepened, “This is ridiculous.”

“This is what happens when you don’t do as you are told. Now, get out of here, before I have one of the servants remove you.”

A humph pushed past my lips as I jumped to my feet, before exiting into the hallway. Colina was passing by the bedroom as I stepped out.

“Is the lord sleeping?” She asked me.

“He is about to fall asleep. Is there something that you need from him?”

Her head shook and I noticed a stack of letters in her hand, “No, he normally likes to read his mail when he first arrives.”

“Let me see.” I held out my hand, and she offered me the letters with no reluctance. I shifted through them quickly. Most were from the Blessed Hearts, some were about debts that needed payment, but the last few were from Maita. I looked up at Colina, who was watching me sort through them. “Does Lord Blaine often get letters from Lady Maita here?”

She nodded, “Recently, yes. It started a couple weeks ago, I believe. Lord Bernal and she visit here quite often, but she never sent mail before then. I believe they are due for a visit the day after tomorrow.” She said as she took the letters back from me. “It is strange that she would mail him and not you.” With a shrug, she headed back down the stairs.

My eyes glared briefly to the bedroom door beside me. The thought to run into the bedroom and cause a fuss over the letters, not to mention the visit, crossed my mind. However, I remembered Blaine’s words that I was to act as a proper wife. Obviously, he didn’t want these particular group of servants to know anything about his life at home. Colina seemed practically ignorant of Blaine’s affair with Maita.

I inhaled deeply a couple of times, before making my way down the stairs. I would deal with this another time, as I didn’t want to ruin my first time in Mureal. Blaine had already threatened to keep me in the bedroom. Though I didn’t know how serious he was, I decided that this would have to wait until we returned home.

Another servant girl, that closely resembled Kerani, approached me with a smile. “Lady Valora?”

“Yes.” I said with a bit of annoyance in my voice.

“I am Panche.” She grinned, seeming to ignore my tone. “Lord Blaine asked me to show you around Mureal if you wanted and to help you with anything that you need. I am suppose to be your guide during your stay here.”

“He did?” I looked up the stairs, and could not remember Blaine speaking to any of the servants.

Panche giggled, “In a letter that was sent ahead, milady. Lord Blaine tells me that you enjoy gardening. Would you like to see the city’s community garden? It’s quite lovely this time of year.”

“I am rather tired from my journey. I would actually prefer something to eat and drink.”

She nodded, “Follow me into the dining hall. I’ll make you something. Is there anything that you would prefer?” She asked as we walked through the double doors to the dining hall.

“No, just food. Something that would be gentle on my stomach. The traveling has caused me some stomach cramps.”

Panche nodded and continued to smile as she pulled out my chair for me. “Would you like wine, tea, or…”

“Hot tea would be nice, thank you.”

With a skip, she made it into the kitchen and left me alone in the dining hall that once again looked familiar. It seemed that Blaine kept this smaller manor as closely decorated to his other one as possible. Perhaps instead it was his father or mother who had done the decorating of both houses. I didn’t know for certain, it just struck me as rather odd.

I also had a strange feeling that Durril would be walking into the room at any moment. In truth, I had rather hoped that this manor would be completely different from the other, so I could ignore my problems from back home. It seemed that they would follow me even here.

With a sigh, I leaned back into my chair and waited for Panche to return with my meal. I thought about the things that Blaine had told me there was to do in Mureal. The question as to how I would meet the other wives sprang to mind. Though, I wasn’t sure if I would get along well with them. After all, I was not what one would consider to be born in high society and I might be frowned upon. Whether I am married to a duke or not.

---***---

That evening, Blaine and I had to attend a small social gathering for several Blessed Heart knights. My fears about the other wives not being accepting of me had proven true. Even though many of the earls, dukes, and other nobles wanted to remain on Blaine’s good side, their wives were reluctant to include me. They scoffed their noses at me whenever I spoke and would give each other looks of annoyance whenever I said something they disagreed with.

I made my way over to the corner of the large beige and marble ballroom, and sipped on my wine. Blaine had abandoned me to those harpies, so I had no idea where he had disappeared to. Though I heard that Lord Bernal had arrived, no doubt with his wife.

“Looks like those vultures have plucked away another woman’s spirit.” A gentle voice said beside me.

I turned my eyes to the red haired woman with milky skin and dark red lips. She wore a red ballroom dress that matched her lipstick. The woman didn’t look much older than me, at most she was five years older. A quick smile and she motioned towards the women that I had just been speaking with.

“They have made me an outcast as well. I am Lady Juliska Ruckien. The wife to Sir Carlin Ruckien, Bart.”

I grinned. Her husband was a baronet, which meant that he held office above a knight but below a baron. In other words, she was of my class of people. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, I am…”

“Duchess Valora Stavros, wife of Duke Blaine Stavros. I know, the ballroom is all aflutter with talk about you and your lowly status.”

I sighed.

Juliska giggled, “You will hear nothing of that from me. One of us finally marries up in this world, and these people act as if it’s the worst possible thing that could happen.” She touched my light blue dress with white trim, “That’s a lovely dress. Did you design it yourself?”

“No, my chamber maid did.”

Juliska smiled, “I know that this may seem a harsh environment, but they will eventually grow use to you. Especially when their husbands need a favor from your own, then you’ll have all the friends that you need.”

I looked around her for a moment, “You seem to be without any at the moment.”

She chuckled almost too loud to be ladylike, “I told you that my husband is a baronet, did I not? So, was my father and his father before him. I come from a long line of baronet, just like I hear you do.”

“My father was a knight, not a baronet.”

There was a surprised look on her face that slowly turned into a wide smile. “Oh, that must just kill them.” She motioned towards the women, “A commoner marrying one of the most powerful dukes of our kingdom. No doubt most of them had hoped their daughters would have.” When she returned her eyes to me, her smile faded when she saw my frown. “Ah, chin up, Lady Valora. It will get better.”

“It is not your jest that bothers me, Lady Juliska…”

“Please, call me Jul. I do dislike formality in the face of friendship, or at least I am gaining it.”

I grinned, “Then I am Valora.”

“Not Val?” She laughed when she watched my face distort in disgust, “Valora it is.”

There was a silence between us for several moments while we both sipped our wines.

“I do not live far from your manor, and have often toyed with the idea of visiting you. I did not know if you would be accepting of it. Most new duchesses try to cut all ties to those of lower status, so that the others will be more willing to accept them.”

“I would have welcomed the company. In all honesty, I don’t know if Blaine would have appreciated it. There are many problems that…” I stopped myself from speaking, as I needed to keep my private life to myself. For all I knew this woman could be looking for gossip.

Juliska nodded and seemed to understand why I had stopped speaking. “Yes, I heard that Lord Blaine can have a rather nasty temper at times. It makes me wonder what Maita saw in him at all.” Her mouth clamped shut, “Oh dear, I didn’t mean to bring that up.”

I shook my head, “I know about his relationship with her. Is it common knowledge here?”

“No, but it is where I live. Though Lord Manten had such a strangle hold on everyone in the area, that no one dares speak of it publicly. It seems Lord Blaine will follow in his father’s footsteps in that regard.”

“Juliska!” Someone snapped.

We both turned our eyes to a balding man of short stature. His hair was still a dark brown, but he was a couple decades older than the both of us. I knew immediately that this was Sir Carlin, her husband. It had to do with the look of worry that she gave to him.

“Do not discuss such things with Lady Valora. Have you no shame, woman? Or would you like to ensure that the duke continues disliking our family?” His frown was deep, forcing the wrinkles in his face to deepen. “I am over there trying to convince Lord Blaine to end the feud, while you are over here giving his wife reasons not to.”

“I will have you know that I am over here making friends with Lady Valora.”

He shook his head and his eyes turned to me, “I apologize. Juliska can sometimes speak without thinking of who she is talking to or what she is talking about.”

“It’s quite alright, Sir Carlin. She and I were only making polite conversation. And to show there is no harm done, why don’t you two come to our manor the day after tomorrow. I’ll send a courier with the time.”

Sir Carlin’s chest puffed up as he smiled, “Well, yes that would be lovely.”

Juliska grinned, “Wonderful!”

I bowed my head as Sir Carlin walked away, leaving his wife to chat with me. With a devious grin on my lips, I looked over the crowd. I mentally noted that I needed to find out what time Blaine’s guests would be arriving. If I was going to suffer from Maita’s presence, then Blaine would suffer from Carlin’s.

---***---

“I do not believe that you invited them. I have guests on that day, Valora. Do you expect me to entertain your guests as well.” Blaine snarled as we made our way up to the manor door.

“It’s only two more people and besides I like them.”

He frowned, “Do you know what the Ruckiens have done to my family? No, I doubt they would tell you.”

“He seemed very sorry for whatever it was, and wants to make amends. Besides, you told me to make friends tonight. None of the other women would even look at me. Juliska was the only one who didn’t treat me like I was beneath her.”

“The other women seemed to be speaking with you just fine.”

I snorted, “How would you know? I couldn’t find you the entire evening.” I glared up at him, and there seemed to be a look of guilt in his eyes.

“Lord Durril arrived this evening, milord.” Endre said when he stepped out of the manor to open the door for us.

“Durril is here?” I said with more fear in my voice than I had wanted to display.

Blaine looked over at me, “I sent for him a day after we left. He spoke of wanting employment in Mureal, so I thought it best. He must have rode quickly to have arrived so soon after us.” He cleared his throat, “Of course, he didn’t have you to slow him down either.”

As we stepped into the manor, Durril appeared from the dining hall. He smiled at me before greeting his brother.

“We arrived only this morning, you must have rode quickly.” Blaine said to him.

Durril nodded, “I slept no more then five hours a night. I had to make up lost time.”

“I am retiring for the evening.” I said as I made my way up the stairs.

“I will be up momentarily.” Blaine said when I reached the top of the stairs.

In my room, I found Kerani waiting for me. She helped me into my sleeping gown and as I laid myself down to sleep, I heard Blaine enter the room.

“The servants tell me that you have been complaining of stomach cramps.” Blaine said as he began to remove his clothing.

Sitting up, I watched him remove his coat and shirt. “From the long ride here no doubt. It should pass in a day or two. Did you have cramps when you first arrived back home? That was a long ride as well.”

I shook my head, “No, why?”

He scowled, “The servants are whispering of a pregnancy. If you think you may be, it would be best to tell me now.”

“It never crossed my mind until now.”

His eyes narrowed as he stared at me, “Very well, I believe you.”

A knock came to the door, so Blaine put his shirt back on before answering it. Durril stood in the hallway and gave me a smile, before motioning Blaine away with his head. Stepping out into the hallway, he shut the door, but I could hear the muffled noises of their argument.

Getting out of bed, I walked over to the door and placed my ear upon it.

“Don’t play this game with me, Blaine. Is she pregnant?” I heard Durril ask.

“She says she doesn’t know.” Blaine responded.

I heard Durril breathe heavily for a moment, “I don’t know if I can go through with this if she is. Maybe we should wait and find out before we act.”

“Is there no way possible that you are the father?”

“No, if there was this would all be over with, wouldn’t it?” Durril snapped.

“Calm your voice, you don’t want the servants or her to over hear.” The door moved slightly which told me that someone had leaned against it. “How long would you have me wait? This is the perfect place. When she is pregnant then she won’t be able to travel this distance.”

Durril coughed, “You would kill your own child, Blaine? This is sickening.”

“Hush!” Blaine barked and I felt someone remove themselves from the door.

I immediately ran over to the bed and tossed myself under the covers as Blaine opened the door to check on me. “Let’s discuss this in my office.”

When I heard the door shut, I jumped to my feet and waited a moment before heading out into the hallway. When I was at the bottom of the stairs, I began to listen to their conversation again.

“None of this would have happened if you hadn’t started being nice to her to begin with.” Durril snapped. “I told you to act cold towards her, so that she would only have me to find comfort in. You couldn’t do that, could you?”

“I felt guilty. I was reminded of what father had said to me.”

“Then you bed her, so now you can’t just send her home. I can’t believe this, Blaine. I can’t be part of killing her or a possible child.”

“Maita has already started to poison her husband. It’s too late to turn back now. I will stay cold to her from now on. All you have to do is court her into sharing a bed with you. After which, I can order her death. That’s all that you have to do.”

“You want me to trick her into sharing my bed so that you can kill her? It’s a lot more than you seem to think.” Durril sighed loudly. “What would father say if he could see what we are doing? He would have us both whipped then disown us. This isn’t something that a member of the Blessed Hearts should be doing, Blaine. What if they find out…”

“They won’t. The plan hasn’t changed. The only difference now is instead of our marriage being dissolved and her going home, is that she has to be put to death.”

“All this because you shared your bed with her. But still I ask what of the child?”

“It’s not Maita’s so it’s meaningless. Do as I ask and I will ensure that you receive a title and some land. Baron Halvor is without an heir, I could easily convince the king to give it to you. Do we have a deal, Durril?”

There was a long pause in the conversation. “Yes, I…”

As soon as I heard his answer, I ran up the stairs and jumped into bed. I didn’t want to be caught listening to them, besides I had heard everything that I needed to. My heart raced frantically, as I tried to find a way to save myself. No one at the Blessed Hearts would believe me. I couldn’t run away as that was as bad as being unfaithful. The only thing that I could do right now was keep Durril at a distance and try not to seem involved with him in the least. The last thing that I needed was rumors saying that there was anything between us.

---***---

The exotic face of a woman that I had come to hate smiled at me when she stepped into the manor. Lord Bernal’s wrinkled but friendly face greeted me in the same manner. He did not look to be a man that had fallen ill from poison or otherwise. I was curious to know if Maita was using a slow working poison on him, but, of course, I couldn’t ask.

Standing next to my husband, I curtsied a greeting towards them. There was no smile on my lips as I stared at their luggage. I could have sworn Juliska had told me that Bernal kept a manor here as well. She and I had gone into further discussion of Maita and Blaine, though I never suggested that they were still having an affair. I think she knew anyway, but didn’t know if I was aware of it.

“Colina, take them to their room.” Blaine ordered her and two other servants took their luggage from them.

When they were up the stairs, my eyes turned to Blaine. “Their room? Doesn’t Lord Bernal have a manor here? Couldn’t they stay there?”

Blaine’s eyes turned to me once Maita was out of sight, “The stream behind the manor flooded as did their home. I was generous enough to offer them my roof until the water recedes.” He turned towards his study, then returned to stand over me. “Lord Bernal, Lady Maita, and I will not be joining you and your guests this evening. We have been invited to dinner with the head of the Blessed Hearts. As you have guests, you have forfeited your right to go.” With a nod, he turned back around and disappeared into his study.

It wasn’t much more then a moment later that the knock came to the door. Colina rushed down the stairs past me to answer it, and I was greeted with Juliska’s smiling face. She shocked me when she hugged me instead of giving me the formal greeting. I wasn’t offended as most duchesses would have been. Two men entered into the manor behind her, one I recognized as her husband, Sir Carlin. The other, however, looked familiar to me, though I was not certain who he was. He wore the symbol of the Blessed Hearts on his coat, which told me that he was a knight. His hair was blonde and his eyes blue. He stood tall, probably taller than Blaine.

Juliska smiled, “Forgive me for bringing another without asking permission first. This is my brother, Sir Gideon Amaren. He is a knight of the Blessed Hearts. Apparently the stream near his barracks flooded and many people are without homes for a time. I hope that you do not mind.”

They did not look much like brother and sister. Juliska was pale with red hair, and Gideon had tan skin and blonde hair. Their faces didn’t even whisper the secret of the same blood shared between them. “It’s quite alright. It seems Lord Blaine and his guests will not be joining us tonight. There is plenty of food for all.”

Sir Carlin seemed disappointed, but it quickly vanished. Perhaps, he thought if he could become close to me that Blaine would soon follow.

“Wonderful!” Juliska clapped her hands together and began to look around.

“Please, come into the dining hall. We shall begin with appetizers.” I said, unable to keep my eyes off the handsome knight before me.

Colina opened the doors for us before running into the kitchen. She was going to get us some wine and appetizers while we waited for dinner to be prepared.

I sat at the end of the table with Sir Carlin and Juliska to my right and Gideon to my left. Colina returned and poured us each a glass of white wine, before disappearing back into the kitchen.

“I must say that I am disappointed. Lord Blaine is something of a legend among the Blessed Hearts. Though I have seen him before, I have never had the chance to speak with him.” Gideon told me.

I sipped from my wine glass then smiled at him, “Well, I am sure there will be another time.”

Juliska chuckled, “Poor Giddy, nothing ever goes your way, does it?” She teased and her brother blushed slightly.

“I hope that I do not offend, when I say that you two do not look much alike.” I said trying to break what I felt was tension in the air.

“Indeed, we share the same father.” Gideon answered, “My mother past on when I was two, and my father remarried to Juliska’s mother.”

“Oh, I am sorry to hear that.”

He waved his hand, “It was some time ago, and to be honest, I do not remember her. Juliska’s mother has been my own for as long as my memory can recall.”

I looked briefly over at Sir Carlin. He was staring at the walls and drinking his wine. He didn’t seem to have any interest in the conversation. It most likely vanished when I told him Blaine would not be joining us.

“Is it correct that Sir Crystek is your father?” Gideon asked me.

“Yes, that is correct.”

Juliska grinned, “He is something of a legend, himself. The savior of Lord Manten, one of the greatest knights of the Blessed Hearts. What an honor it must have been to be his child.”

“He never spoke of it. I did not know that he had saved Lord Manten from anything until after I had wed Lord Blaine. It was all a rumor back home.” I heard the kitchen door open behind me.

Colina placed cheeses, bread, and some red wine vinegar for dipping on the table. She bowed to us before returning to the kitchen.

“Truly, you had no idea?” Juliska touched her hand to her chest. “What a humble man! No wonder Lord Manten had wanted his son to marry the child of such a wonderful and honorable knight.”

Gideon nodded in agreement while he chewed on a piece of cheese. Carlin, however, seemed oblivious to the entire conversation.

“I suppose.” I responded before eating a piece of the bread. This conversation was beginning to make me feel uncomfortable. “What is it that you do in the Blessed Hearts, Sir Gideon?”

“Of course, I do all that is asked of me by the Blessed Heart code. However, I spend most of my time investigating other members.”

“Other members?”

He nodded, “Yes, to ensure that all members are following the code. I act on rumors and reports, then see if there is any truth to the matter before I accuse them of anything.”

“That sounds interesting.”

Gideon smiled, “Most accusations are false, as our knights are often impeccable.” He chuckled, “If you know something about Lord Blaine’s wrong doings, you should tell me.” He winked and everyone laughed, except for myself.

I tried to pretend that I enjoyed the joke, but it only made me more uncomfortable. I heard the sounds of a carriage pull up to the manor and saw Blaine, Maita, and Bernal shuffle out the door without saying goodbye to us.

“Quite rude.” I announced, not realizing who I was in front of.

Juliska chuckled, “Indeed!”

Gideon’s eyes were deadlocked on me for a moment as if he was sensing my discomfort. “Smells lovely in the kitchen, what are we having?” He finally asked. I think Juliska may have kicked him under the table to stop him from staring at me.

“Quail and stuffing, I believe.” I responded.

“Splendid!” She clapped again, “I do so love quail. Don’t you, my love?” Her eyes turned to Carlin. “Dear?”

“Oh, yes, yes.” He looked at her briefly before returning to his own little world.

Juliska rolled her eyes at me and giggled, which caused me to giggle in return.

---***---

I couldn’t sleep that night. Every time my eyes closed I would think of the conversation between Durril and Blaine. I didn’t know what hurt more. The fact that I believed Durril was my friend or that two men were trying to murder me. I hadn’t seen Durril since the day he arrived, and I was curious to know what he had was up to. Though, I would be certain to keep my distance. I would rather my curiosity go unfed than to be caught alone with him.

As I laid in bed, I could hear Blaine’s soft breaths as he slept. I turned to look upon his face and pulled my pillow further under my neck. As I sat there, staring at this evil man, I wondered how hard it would be to smother him. If he awoke then he could easily overpower me and accuse me of murder. I shook the thought from my mind, I couldn’t kill someone. That is not who I am.

The sound of our bedroom door creaked and I slammed my eyes shut. Normally, I would have looked to see who was entering my bedroom, but recent events made me realize that I had to be sneaky.

“Blaine.” Durril’s voice whispered and I felt him gently shake his brother.

“Huh? What?” Blaine responded.

“Downstairs in the study. Maita is very upset, she has to speak with us now.”

Blaine didn’t respond, only jumped from his bed and ran down the stairs with Durril close behind him. When I was certain they wouldn’t be in the hall any longer, I jumped to my feet and crept down the stairs. With my face close to the door, I could hear Maita sobbing.

“Why didn’t you tell me that she is with child?” Maita blubbered.

“We don’t know for certain. What does it matter?” Blaine was the one who responded.

She continued to cry for a moment, “Is it your child or Durril’s?”

There was a long pause before Blaine answered, “Mine.”

Her crying nearly turned to screams of pain, “Yours? You took her into your bed? How could you do this to me, Blaine?”

“It was shortly after we decided to stay with our spouses. You have laid with Bernal.”

“He forced me to!”

“Calm your voice, Maita. You do not want to wake the entire household.” Durril scolded.

She sniffled, “I can’t do this… not to an innocent baby.”

“Valora is just as innocent to all this as that child is.” Durril growled, “She had no say in marrying Blaine, just as you had no say in marrying Bernal.”

“Durril!” Blaine snapped.

“It is the truth, is it not? Blaine could have said no to his land and title, but chose not to.”

Maita gasped, “To marry me? And you didn’t?”

I heard Blaine exhale, but it sounded as if he were growling. “What would I have had to offer you then? I would not be a duke nor would I be a member of the Blessed Hearts. Your father would have never allowed the marriage.”

There was nothing said for what seemed to be an eternity, and I thought perhaps they would be leaving the room soon.

Blaine began to speak again, “It’s too late to stop now. You have been poisoning Bernal for over a month now. If you stop now the servants may become suspicious.”

“It doesn’t seem to be doing much to him. Maybe he is immune to it.”

“It works slowly to look like sickness instead of poison.” Blaine answered her.

Maita coughed for a moment, “And what of you, Durril? Have you shared your bed with her yet?”

“No, she is trying her best to make the marriage between her and Blaine work. She…”

“What happens if Bernal dies and she hasn’t turned to Durril? What then, Blaine?” Maita barked.

“You needn’t worry. If time elapses between his death and hers, then it will only look better for us.”

“Why can’t we poison them both?”

“It would be too suspicious.” Durril answered her this time.

The tears in my eyes were swelling as I listened to these people plotting my death. Suddenly, a hand rested on my shoulder and I nearly jumped out of my skin. As I turned around, I looked into Lord Bernal’s eyes. He motioned me up the stairs and I followed him to his bedroom. I didn’t want to enter, so I waited outside in the hall.

He collected something from his luggage before returning to me. It was a small glass container with a dark brown liquid in it.

“What is this?” I asked as I took it from him when he offered it to me.

“The poison that Maita was trying to use on me. I replaced hers with water. Listen to me well, Lady Valora.” He looked down the hall for a moment. “You are obviously aware of the plots against our lives. We could go to the Blessed Hearts and inform one of their investigators of this whole incident. However, they are often biased and we may be punished for false accusations. It would also destroy the element of surprise that we have over them.”

I gripped the bottle of poison in my hand tightly, “And our other option is?”

“Kill or be killed, as the saying goes. Put a drop of this poison in Blaine’s wine or food everyday. He will slowly become ill.”

“He knows how this poison acts, won’t he become suspicious?”

Bernal shook his head, “He would never suspect you of trying to kill him. At least not until he was too sick.”

“You can’t be certain of that.”

“It is all that we have, Lady Valora.”

I swallowed, “And what of Maita?”

“She is confused and Blaine continues to twist her emotions and mind. No doubt you have been victim to his ways by now. Maita is a victim in all this, though her life is not in danger.”

“Forgive me, if I find it hard to have sympathy for her.”

He grinned at me, “Of course. With Blaine gone, I shall have my wife and you shall be a duchess with the right to marry anyone you wish. He is a vile monster, who does not deserve to live. You have no doubt heard him plotting to kill you along with his own child, yes?”

“I have.” I nodded and looked at the vial in my hand.

“I shall leave the matter to you. If you should accuse Blaine of this, then I will stand with you. Maita will fear punishment and may indeed come to our side, but that is not something we can be certain of. In all my years, I have never seen the Blessed Hearts make a judgment against one of their own. So, make the choice wisely, Lady Valora.”

Again, I nodded.

“Now, return to bed and hide that poison well. We wouldn’t want Blaine to find it.”

With that I spun around and headed for my bedroom. I hid the poison in my wardrobe along with my undergarments. The only person who touches them are myself and Kerani, so I knew that it would be safe there. When it was hidden, I laid myself back down and tried to sleep. Though, I had a decision ahead of me that was even worse then the thought of being murdered.

---***---

I thought about the bottle of poison the entire time that I was in Mureal. I never used it, but it was always on the forefront of my mind. Whenever Durril would approach me and attempt to be charming, I would question if that bottle held my only answer. When Maita would pass me in the hall, I could see the look of guilt in her eyes. She never spoke directly to me, even when we ate dinner together. Again, it would make me think of that bottle. Finally, I would watch Blaine as he slept beside me. He looked so sweet and innocent in his sleep. There were times when I would wonder if it was even possible for him to concoct such a plan. Then I would remember that bottle that was laying but a few feet away.

I kept my distance from Durril, and spent most of my time in Mureal with Juliska and her brother, Gideon. He liked to escort her around the city as he did not see her often. When I wasn’t shopping with Juliska, I would either be at her home or hiding away in my bedroom. I needed time to think about what was happening to me and what route I would take.

We returned home early after only one month. I wasn’t certain why we had come home so soon. All I knew was Blaine had been disappointed. His plan had been to find me with Durril in Mureal and have me put to death there. It scared me to know of his frustration, and to know that I had no where to run to now that we were home. The only time that I went outside was to my garden, and I ordered Kerani to stay near me at all times. I even asked Endre to ensure that I was not disturbed by servants or others in the household.

“Good morning.” I heard Durril’s voice say from the fence. “The garden is looking lovely.”

Leaning back on my ankles, I tried my best to look happy to see him. The last thing that I wanted was for Durril and Blaine to consider that I knew of their plot. With a smile, I greeted him. “Good morning. It’s growing nicely. I didn’t think that I could do it, but the sprouts are really becoming plants.” I said proudly.

“I have a letter for you from Lady Juliska. Blaine will not be pleased that you have found a friend in her or anyone else of her family.” He held up the letter.

I waved for Kerani to take it from him. She was within arms reach and I wanted to keep my distance from Durril. The love that I had once held in my heart for him had turned into fear overnight.

“He’ll have to be displeased. She is the only person in Mureal that would even speak with me. A lady should have acquaintances outside the household, which is why I invited her to come stay with us for a month. That must be her response.”

Durril rose an eyebrow, “Does Blaine know?”

“I discussed it with him the day before I sent the letter.” Not that I would have cared if he wanted her to come or not. I needed a witness if anything happened to me. Blaine seemed quite willing to let her come for a visit. I still did not know what had caused the feud between the two families. Soon after I invited her, I realized that Blaine must be trying to use the feud in his effort to execute me.

“Leora has asked me to collect some berries for a pie tonight. Would you like to ride with me to the bushes?” Durril asked.

I shook my head, “No, I have much work to do in the garden.”

“Come now, Valora. You haven’t been yourself as of late. Always wanting to stay in the house or in the garden. I have not seen you visit the lake since our return. Are you not feeling well?”

In truth, I wasn’t feeling well. It had more to do with my fear of the two men than any real illness. However, it was becoming clear that I was carrying the child of my would be murderer in my womb. Kerani and I were not entirely sure, but as the days ticked by the answer was becoming obvious enough. The thought of the child within me made me look harder and longer upon that poison vial in my bedroom.

“My stomach is still a bother to me. Perhaps next time.” I told him and returned my gaze back to the garden.

Durril said nothing more. He most likely didn’t want to seem as if he were pushing me to be near him. Blaine, on the other hand, didn’t mind pushing me as far away from him as possible. Not to mention that he would constantly tell me to seek Durril’s advice or help for any problems that I came across. I, of course, never did.

“Let me see the letter.” I told Kerani as I stood up.

“You should have gone. A nice ride would have done you well.” She said as she held out the letter to me. Endre had been teaching her key phases of the common tongue. In all the years that she lived with me, she had never tried to pick up any words, but Endre had convinced her it was important. She told me she wanted to be able to understand anything said about me by servants or even nobility. I just think she wanted to impress Endre.

“Give me the letter.” I ordered her again.

“No. Tell me why you have shut yourself away from others.” She stepped back so I couldn’t grab the letter from her hand.

“I am not feeling well. Now, give me the letter. I will not play this game with you!” I barked.

A frown came over her face as she handed the letter to me.

I had not told her about Durril and Blaine’s plan. I knew that she could be trusted with anything that I had to say. Yet, I would see her with Endre. He could quite possibly be part of the entire plot. After all, he was Blaine’s favorite servant. If Kerani let anything slip about what I knew, then it may cause me even more trouble. Besides, I didn’t want to worry her. She already saw the distance between Blaine and myself. With a child possibly on the way, she feared that the babe would grow up in a family without love between his parents.

I took the letter from her and broke the wax seal on the back. A smile came to my lips when Juliska informed me that she would be leaving within a week of sending this letter. It was a two day ride from her home, which meant that she would be arriving in five days. She mentioned that her brother Gideon had been given a rest from his duties. He had returned with her from Mureal. She said she would be bringing him and to send a letter immediately if I did not approve.

Of course, Gideon would be welcomed. I knew that he may be able to hear or see what Blaine was up to. Although, I wondered if the Blessed Hearts would believe him. With a feud between the families and Blaine’s high ranking, they may believe it was an attack on the Stavros family that I was pulled into.

“That smile tells me that you are pleased.” Kerani grinned.

“Yes, she will be coming. It will be nice to have another to speak with.”

“Speak with?”

I giggled, “I didn’t mean to imply that I couldn’t speak to you. I would just like to have someone of my own stature around. She is also a very humorous woman. I enjoy her company.”

Kerani looked me over, “You should bathe. You have had enough gardening for today, I think. You shouldn’t be working yourself so hard or be in the sun for too long in your condition.”

---***---

My pregnancy became official on the day that Juliska was meant to arrive. I made my way down to Blaine’s study, where I knocked then waited for him to answer. After several long moments of him no doubt hiding a letter to Maita, he opened the door. I think he had come to recognize my knock, as I tried to visit him often. I suppose I wanted him to gain a friendship with me so this idea of killing me would disgust him. So far, he always demanded that I leave him alone.

He frowned down at me and allowed me into the office. I think he knew what I was going to tell him, but wanted to hear it from my own lips anyway. Taking the seat in front of his desk, I waited for him to get comfortable.

“I am with child.” I told him before he could ask me what I had come to him for.

His hands clenched up for a moment, before gently and slowly releasing. I think he also clenched his jaw, but the roll of his head made me uncertain. “Well, this is good news.” He was obviously lying. I think he would have been in less pain had I stabbed him in the heart.

I tried to smile and pretend that I thought he liked the new situation. “Yes, it is. I should prepare for Lady Ruckien’s arrival. She should be here soon.” I stood from my chair.

“Wait a moment.” I heard Blaine say as I turned around to leave the room.

When I turned back to him, he stood from his chair and walked around the desk. Reaching out for my hand, he brought it to his lips briefly and reluctantly. There was a deep look of guilt that I caught in his eyes when he looked up at me. “It is indeed good news.” He said, before dropping my hand and returning to his chair.

His touch lingered on my hand as I left the room. I wanted nothing more then to remove the tingle from my skin, but held back the urge to rub it away. He disgusted me more and more. Now that I knew I was with child, I had to make a decision and it had to be soon. Not only was my husband trying to kill me, but my unborn babe as well. I had to put an end to all this.

I knew that I could confront him and hope that his fear of being caught would stop him. I could get help from Gideon or possibly someone else from the Blessed Hearts. Or my last option was to poison him and live my life knowing that I had killed a man. I know that confronting him could change the entire game. He may instead attempt to kill me silently like Maita was killing her husband. Or possibly use an accident to end my life, such as my horse throwing me. If I told Gideon and it didn’t work out. I could be jailed for up to a decade for lying about such a thing. I had asked Gideon much about his duties while I was shopping with Juliska.

However, the poisoning was no better than the other two options. I didn’t fear being caught unless someone found me poisoning his drink. I just didn’t know if I could bring myself to end a life, nor would I be able to live with the knowledge that I had done so. Though as the days past, I was beginning to lean more towards the option.

Before I made it up the stairs, there was a loud knock at the door. I threw my dilemma from my mind as I hurried down the stairs. Leora was already at the door, and she opened it with a smile.

Juliska squealed with excitement before she threw her arms around me and hugged me tightly when she entered. “The estate is more beautiful than I imagined!”

“I am so glad that you have come.” I told her. My eyes turned to her handsome brother as he stepped into the manor. “You as well, Sir Gideon.”

Gideon grinned, “Thank you for having me on such short notice.”

Blaine must have heard Juliska’s pig-like cry and stepped out of his study. The look of frustration and disappointment was gone. He smiled a warm welcome towards our guests.

“Lord Blaine, thank you for having us.” Juliska curtsied in front of him.

“Yes, it is an honor to be in your home.” Gideon bowed.

“I hear that you are a knight in my order, Sir Gideon.” Blaine took a step closer to him, “There is talk about you among those of higher rank. As I understand it, you take your duties quite seriously.”

“Yes, milord, I certainly do.”

Juliska held my hand. I think she was slightly intimidated to be around Blaine.

Blaine patted Gideon’s shoulder, before turning back to Juliska. “I heard you scream, Lady Juliska. Did Valora give you our good news?”

“No, she did not. I was just so excited to see her. I am sorry if I caused you any alarm.”

Blaine waved his hand, “Of course not.”

“Well, what is this good news? I must know now.” Juliska turned her eyes to me.

“I am with child.”

It was the strangest thing I had ever seen. Both Gideon and Juliska looked absolutely aghast, before forcing smiles to their faces. “That is wonderful news!” She clapped. “Oh, this is so exciting!”

Gideon bowed his head, “Congratulations, milady.” He turned his eyes to Blaine, “And to you, as well, Lord Blaine.”

I suddenly realized that a servant I had never seen before stood behind Gideon. In his hands was their luggage. “Oh, Leora, could you show them their rooms. I am sure Lady Juliska would like to freshen up before our midday meal.” I ordered.

Leora bowed to me and then waved for them to follow her.

When I was about to walk up the stairs, Blaine stopped me again by taking my hand. He kissed my forehead so that Gideon could see, before returning to his study. I had a feeling that Blaine had kissed me to show Gideon that he did love me. No doubt the Blessed Hearts knew something of his affair with Maita. As Gideon was an inspector, who at anytime could begin an investigation. Blaine, most likely, wanted to qualm any rumors that had begun around the order. Gideon was certainly the man who could do so.

Of course, that would make it harder for Gideon to hear my plea for help. Not that I had decided to tell him, but it made the situation more complicated. It only hindered my thoughts about telling anyone, and made me think harder about the poison in my room.

My heart pounded wildly whenever I thought of the options that I had to face. As I made my way into the bedroom, I pulled the vial from it’s hiding place. I had told Kerani that it was a salve for my dry skin. Looking at it now, I wished that it was. I placed the vial in the folds of my dress and prepared myself for our meal. I knew what had to be done. I just didn’t know if I could do it or not.