Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 49: Filled With Delicacies

The Grand Hall was filled with music and tables filled with delicacies. This seemed more fit for the Prince and Princess though they would have little enjoyment here. Two golden thrones sat at the back of the room and between them was a small table with a silver bowl. This would be where they would spend most of their evening.

As others began to laugh and dance, Piera and Lesatan watched the activities from afar. Though they would not remain alone for long. Guests began to approach them with gems they had brought, they would offer advice or good wishes before dropping the gem inside the silver bowl between them. This was a tradition brought over from the Souchans though the lower guilds used rocks instead of gems.

Lucius and Aletta, by tradition, had to offer their gems first. As the King approached, he held up a diamond before he spoke. “Many says that love is what will keep your marriage joyous, but I do not believe that to be true. Honesty and loyalty are what create this and its byproduct is love.” He placed the diamond within the silver bowl.

He bowed his head briefly to Piera before looking to his son and with a grin on his lips, he placed his hand on Lesatan's head. When Lesatan looked into his father's eyes, he was saddened for his father as he knew all too well that his parents held no love for one another. However, his father was right in that they were honest and loyal to each other. When Lucius removed his hand, he walked off into the distance and did not await his wife as many would do after him.

Aletta was next and she too held up a diamond. “Even when the other sounds as if they are speaking nonsense, give that nonsense a chance as there is nothing more devastating than when your own spouse does not believe your words.” She dropped the diamond in the bowl and bowed her head at Piera as well. Walking in front of her son, she bent over and placed her hands on his cheeks before kissing his forehead.

Her words meant something as well and both were aware of what she meant. Lucius always informed her that she was ridiculous when it came to her suspicions of Lenore, and never seemed to offer her anything contrary to her beliefs.

After this the line began to form, but it was Lenore who would stand first in line. She approached Piera in her red lace filled dress and her brother in his red coat. She smiled at Piera but barely offered more than a glance to her brother as she came to stand near the table like her father and Aletta had done before her.

Holding up a ruby, she began to speak. “May your days be filled with love and joy. May you never regret the life you have lead.” She placed the ruby in the silver bowl before stepping to the side so that Armand could offer his own words.

Lesatan was hurt by the well wishes instead of advice. Normally close family would offer their wisdom as well wishes were for those who did not know each other well enough. What Lenore meant with those words was that she did not know her brother or Piera. This thought made him unable to head Armand's own words which were no doubt wisdom as he had placed a diamond within the bowl.

After he bowed to them both, he walked over to Lenore and the two disappeared together into the crowd. Lesatan watched for a long moment as he thought over what a cruel thing his sister had done.

Not everyone brought a gem or wished to offer any well wishes or advice. Some just watched or ignored the process entirely as they danced and celebrated. Most of the talk that was heard asked if there would be an heir soon, though no one had an answer. Gossip always seemed to follow a wedding especially one of high profiled individuals.

Lesatan and Piera were not privy to these conversations, however. They sat with boredom in their hearts as the seemingly long line before them brought platitudes and wisdom from books. There was little they could do, but smile and accept the words of the many.

---***---

In the center of the grand hall were dancing couples as the orchestra played. Tables surrounded the room and the food on the silver plates was constantly being refreshed as it disappeared. Wine was almost mandatory as it was passed out by the wait staff and the groups of acquaintances chatted amongst themselves.

Behind a pillar with his arms folded Remus watched as Santh stood nearby. He was grinning at the newly wed couple. “They look miserable already.”

Santh did not respond as his eyes were firmly on Lenore who was dancing with Armand. She had not glanced his way and instead had her eyes on Armand only. They had been talking and dancing together all evening.

“When I marry, I am going to skip all this tradition. It does not look as if I would be able to enjoy my own dinner if not.” Remus continued to chuckle. “I should have brought a gem with me. My advise would be, 'Run, quickly run!' and I would love to see the two of them scatter.”

Santh watched as Lenore and Armand stepped off the dance floor and were offered a glass of white wine. They both accepted a took a sip before continuing to speak to one another with grins on their lips.

“Perhaps, we should leave sooner rather than later. Other than eating, there is little to do.” Remus yawned as he looked over at his friend, and realized that he had not been listening.

Following Santh's line of sight, Remus grunted when he realized whom his friend was staring at as he dropped his arms to his side. “She is a traitor to all of us, Santh, but if you enjoy the abuse you'll receive go speak to her. I'm sure, she will be delightful company.”

The Mondue glared at his friend for a moment out of the corner of his eye before he returned to watching the Princess.

“Are you angry with her or longing for her? I can never tell. You are pathetic either way. Let go of your feelings and let us move on from the past, as we shall never live there again.” Remus twisted his neck to gain some comfort in the aching muscles.

As he did so, his own eyes fell upon something that shook him. Ophelia and Routine stood in the distance with her holding onto his arm. They were speaking to one another as well, and Routine made her laugh. She smiled and teasingly shoved his arm with her free hand.

It felt as if a rock was in his throat and he tried to swallow down the lump. He knew that the two were not in love and that she cared only for him, but there was jealousy in his heart. Looking around the room, he realized in everyone's eyes, except his own, Ophelia belonged to Byron Nicoletti and he was no one in her life.

He had survived the entire last year without coming to that realization, but now it was painfully obvious. If he allowed this to continue, the world would always see Ophelia as another man's and if they dared to have children together, his children would belong to Routine as well. He thought that he could handle such an agreement, but in that very moment he did not feel as confident as he had the night before.

When the two walked over to another couple, Remus turned his attention back to Santh who was still watching Lenore intensely. “Oh, come off it!” He snapped.

The outburst startled Santh and he quickly looked toward his friend as his heart beat rapidly in his chest. “Why are you so upset?”

“You are not her puppy anymore, she kicked you out into the rain. Stop watching her, stop feeling hurt when you see her, and stop caring for her!” Remus barked. “She is the bratty princess you always said she was so what? Are you angry that you were right all along? Are you hoping she'll come running back to the dorms and tell us some plot was afoot? She won't. She made her choice, and it wasn't us. It will never be us.”

“Us?” Santh responded and realized that Remus may have been hurt as well.

“You. You understood what I was trying to say, now let's find some wine.” He snapped before storming toward the center of the grand hall.

---***---

“Do you plan to ignore him all night?” Armand asked as he took another glass of wine from a tray of the nearby staff.

Lenore continued to sip the very first glass she had been given. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Not what so ever?” He grinned as he took a large gulp of wine while the music and chatter continued all around them.

“What so ever.” She sighed. “It is interesting that no one has come to speak to us of any agenda, isn't it?”

Armand shrugged his shoulders. “The Queen is here. No one wants to be seen speaking to you at her own son's wedding. You will be attached to me all evening, I am afraid.”

After scanning the room briefly, she turned her attention to him. “Shall we say our farewells and return to our rooms?”

He shook his head slowly, “The Queen does not want you here of that I am certain, but the only way you could provoke her further is to leave at this hour as if your brother's wedding is meaningless to you.”

Lenore clicked her tongue. “Paranoia is very inconvenient.”

“Speaking of an inconvenience, do you plan on drinking that one glass of wine all night while I slowly become more drunk?” He put his hand over his chest as if he were using a blanket to hide himself. “Princess Lenore, you do not plan to seduce me tonight?”

She looked unamused as she sighed once more.

“I have a way to entertain us both!” He put his glass down on the nearby table and grabbed hers from her as well. “Come.” He ordered as he grabbed her arm and dragged her across the room, when she was finished being pulled, Lenore looked up and found Santh standing directly before her. Armand noticed their nervousness immediately and laughed internally. “My good man, Santh. Would you do me the honor of dancing with my fiancee? Her energy is boundless and I am afraid I must sit out a couple of dances to catch my breath.”

With those words spoken, Armand shoved Lenore towards him before speeding away as quickly as his long legs would allow.

Lenore watched him disappear and then slowly turned her eyes toward Santh. She opened her mouth to tell him not to worry that she could handle herself, but he offered out his hand as if he was prepared to dance with her.

Placing her hand on his own, he led her out onto the dance floor. Where she immediately noticed that he was standing slightly too close to her compared to the other dancers. The song played on and the two spoke no words. It was merely Santh's hand holding her own and his other hand on the small of her back.

She didn't dare look into his eyes and instead watched the room spin around her as they danced. She swallowed the lump in her throat multiple times, and the heartache in her chest felt as if she would stop breathing at any moment.

She wondered what his thoughts were in that moment. Was he angry and simply trying not to upset Armand after he made his request? Was he completely over any feelings and doing only what is considered polite for a gentleman? None of those seemed to be correct. He had been staring at her all evening, but for what reason she could not know.

The song ended and she felt Santh release his grip, when she looked to him, he bowed before walking off to the side of the dance floor. Lenore moved to the opposite side where she found Armand awaiting her.

“I will make you suffer for that.” She whispered.

“Now, you are beginning to sound like your brother.” He teased.

---***---

After watching Lenore dance with the Mondue, Relia made her way over to her granddaughter whom she had been wanting to speak with all night. Armand and Lenore bowed their heads when she approached in her golden dress of silk.

“Armand, dear, could I have a moment alone with my granddaughter?” Relia asked and watched as Armand quickly bowed away from the conversation. She had always intimidated the boy since he was just a young man of eight. She had never understood why.

Motioning for Lenore to follow her, the two made their way to a quiet corner and she clutched her wine glass as she spoke. “I understand that the reason you returned to the Royal Dorms was your brother's blackmail.”

Lenore said nothing but diverted her eyes.

“I see. You will not speak of it, even to me.” She sighed deeply. “With just one word, Lenore, I could easily end this foolishness. So, explain why you must suffer? Tell me what is at stake.”

The Princess shook her head, “Grandmother, you can not assist me in this matter. One day, it will be only Lesatan and myself. There will be no father and no grandmother to protect me, and while the embarrass of both of your protection is still near, I must learn to handle him myself. However, if this does indeed go further than I can handle I will call upon you, of this I swear.”

Relia reached up and grabbed a handful of Lenore's red locks and stroked it for a moment. “I understand your reasoning, but it has gone further than you can handle. This is why I have spoken to you about the issue. Lesatan has gone too far and you are too blinded by your pride to see what his actions are costing you.”

Lenore seemed confused.

“Your friends and your lover. They are worth more than any lesson you are attempting to teach yourself. It's rare in our position to find people that truly value us and not what we are capable of doing for them.” Relia sighed. “You are hurting more than yourself. That Mondue boy has been watching you all night, and I know you are painfully aware of his gaze as you purposefully move so your back is to him.”

“Am I that obvious?”

Her grandmother frowned deeply, “Your friend, Remus, seems rather bitter. I overheard him speaking to you on his entry into the ceremony. Surely, you will not allow them to continue this pattern of thought, you must free their emotions someday.”

She shook her head. “No, let them be bitter. Let them loathe me. If my place is beside my brother than it is better if he has no one I care about to harm.”

Relia knew that this was a conversation that she would not win. “Very well, it is your decision, but may I ask what you have done to Damek?”

“To Damek, grandmother?”

She motioned his head toward the man in the distance.

Lenore turned to look and watched as Damek diverted his eyes before sneaking behind a marble pillar. “How... odd.”

“He has been watching you tonight as well. Have you upset him?” Relia watched as the boy quickly moved to the opposite side of the hall.

“I do not believe so. Last I spoke to him, he informed me that Lesatan was... well, that Lesatan had plans to blackmail me. We haven't spoken since that I can recall.” Lenore cocked her head to the side. “That was the beginning of the school year.”

“Hmm, perhaps he is upset that despite his warning you have not thanked him?” Relia shrugged her shoulders. “No matter, return to Armand.”

She watched as Lenore bowed her head and moved away from her, but her mind stayed focused on her granddaughter's problems. More so on the cousin that continued to lurk in the shadows, she couldn't understand what that boy was attempting to achieve.

---***---

Ophelia stood next to Routine as they walked around the room and spoke to dignitaries. She had forgotten while living at the dorm with him that Routine was a man of high rank, even Remus was a commoner compared to him. The only one of his equal was his Mondue equivalent whom they had spent several moments speaking with. He was in his late thirties and had recently had his third child, but even he showed Routine great respect.

Routine didn't toss his position around like so many do, instead he seemed to not care about it at all. She knew the reason behind it as well. While he was at school, he felt that his rank did not matter and that he was merely a student there. Which is what the university was meant to be, but it had be distorted throughout the generations. Sometimes, she wished people could be a little bit more like her husband-to-be.

The more she smiled at others and spoke of their coming wedding, the less Ophelia felt like she could live her life in a lie. Her eyes moved to Remus across the room constantly as he spoke to women and offered to dance with them, but he had not approached her in the least. She had not caught him looking in her direction once that evening.

“Be mindful of where your eyes wander.” Routine whispered to her. Over the past year, he seemed to speak more genuinely with her. Of course, he had begun shortly after Lenore had left the dorm, and she wondered if it had less to do with her and more to do with forcing himself to be less pretentious in order to continue friendships.

She realized early on that Routine was not the loner, he portrayed himself to be and in fact would often take her to the hamlet for meals. He missed his friend that much was obvious, and there was nothing she could do except be a temporary replacement.

“I apologize.” She sighed.

“He asked for a dance with you this evening, I am uncertain when he will come to you as I believe our small band of misfits is etching ever closer to our tolerance levels for these sorts of affairs.” He frowned.

“Byron, are you as exhausted as I am?” She asked holding onto his arm and watched him nod. “Shall we return to the dorm?”

He shook his head, “I am afraid that I can not be the first to leave. It would not sit well with the Royals, and as much as I wish I could permit your exit that can not be either.”

She nodded her head and scanned the room until she saw a tray with wine glasses. “Very well. I have not had any wine then, do you mind?”

“Be cautious of your decorum and sip it.”

Ophelia chuckled, “Do not worry about me. You have seen me drink my mother's mead by the barrel full!”

“Yes, I have, which is why I offered the warning.” There was a hint of humor in his voice that Ophelia only recently learned to hear.

She stuck out the tip of her tongue at him, which caused Routine to offer her a slight smile as he grabbed a glass of wine from a passing server and handed it to her.

Routine began to speak to a man who approached them and after Ophelia was introduced, she slowly scanned the room as she sipped her wine. Her eyes turned back to Routine from time to time, and she thought of Remus.

In truth, Routine was not nearly as bad of company as she thought he would be and had been closer to her over the last year than Remus had been. She did not love Routine that much was clear, but she thought that if Remus and her did find their ending, she would not mind to stand at Routine's side in marriage.

He seemed uncaring and unlikable at first, but he had loyalties and a special friendship that only a few were permitted to experience. That made him almost desirable, she had thought briefly.

---***---

“Dancing with the Mondue in plain sight?” Damek shook his head at Lenore as he appeared around a white pillar before leaning against it.

The Princess said nothing as she was not about to justify her actions to her cousin who over the last year had seemed rather close with her brother. She caught them making plans for the school and the country often.

“Where is your future bride?” He asked when he realized that she had no interest in having the conversation he was interested in.

Lenore frowned at his wording, “Armand is speaking with... someone. I can not remember what their name was.” She motioned to the corner of the room through the large crowd one could make out Armand speaking with an elder gentleman.

“Shall we dance?” When she did not respond he frowned deeply, “You have been dancing with everyone else this evening, but not with your cousin?”

Lenore sighed exasperated, “I have been dancing with a great many people which is why I am exhausted, Damek.” She glared at him out of the corner of her eye as she continued to lean her back against the pillar and sip on her glass of wine. “If I was anyone else to Lesatan, I would have returned to my prison cell by now.”

Damek snorted, “Your prison cell looks a great deal like a beautiful dorm room of which you can come and go as you please.”

“Oh, yes, as long as I follow every rule put into place and ensure I do not speak to the wrong individuals then it's the greatest freedom ever given to a prisoner.” She licked her bottom lip and her eye caught a large man dancing with yet another woman. Her heart sank as she had watched Santh dance with many different partners that evening. She couldn't help but think that she would not have to deal with the pains of jealousy if it weren't for her brother, and her suspicions that Damek was also involved in some manner.

A hand gently grabbed a curl that had fallen in front of her face and delicately placed it behind her ear. All the while, Damek's finger tips dragged along her cheek. “Perhaps it was being raised by one that made you believe they are attractive enough to actually become your mate, but they are not. They are work horses meant to serve, and occasionally a delicacy for your appetites. They are not bred for any other reason.”

Lenore looked away from Santh to the man standing next to her. The room was filled with music and chatter from those around them, but in that moment she felt Damek's heated glare and couldn't help but wonder why he had spoken such words. “Sometimes, I wonder how you came to be like this.”

“Like this?”

“Your father is a very sweet man and your mother has always been kind and warm, but you... you are dark and vicious. You see people as... “work horses” and objects. Not even Lesatan speaks this way of others, and he is one of the most spoiled children I have ever known.” Lenore realized that Damek still had his hand near her ear and batted it away.

A darkness passed within his eyes and for a moment, Lenore thought he might lose his temper in the same manner that her brother would have. Damek gave a slight grin after a moment and cocked his head to the side. “One has to wonder who exactly you think you are. The daughter of a peasant and the daughter of a king. Are you a princess, Lenore? Or are you a peasant? You cannot be both, so make your decision and stop dancing between those worlds.”

With those words spoken, Damek walked passed her and into the crowd. Lenore watched after him for several moments as his words echoed within her mind. Taking another sip of her wine, she searched the room for the large Mondue and found him still on the dance floor.

“What did Damek have to say?” Armand asked as he came to stand beside her.

“Damek is and always has been cryptic. He speaks only to make others act and then watches the chaos unfold.” Lenore gulped down the rest of her wine.

---***---

The King stood to the side of the chairs that his son and new daughter were gaining their wishes in. He held a glass of wine in his hand as he watched over the proceedings of the celebration. Lucius knew he could not be involved in any of the entertainment except for when the Queen decided it was time to have their dance. These types of gatherings meant standing regally by while everyone else enjoyed themselves and he hid behind the guards.

“Lenore was dancing with a Mondue, surely Mother would not approve.” Silarius came to stand by his brother once Aletta had moved to the other side of the room.

Lucius looked towards him and gently shrugged his shoulders. “Mother did not seem all that bothered. He is Varden's son, are you aware?”

Silarius gave a brief chuckle. “He isn't as large as his father, is he?” He sighed. “I remember when you first brought him home. I thought Mother would simply die at the idea of you befriending a Mondue, but she practically drooled all over him. I never understood why.”

“I had told her how he was helping me to become a better man and king. She saw for herself that it was true, and wanted to ensure his friendship and loyalty.” Lucius informed him as he took a drink from his wine glass.

Silarius nodded his head. “Still, the boy might be smaller than his father but he still looks as if he could eat Lenore in one gulp.”

“Do not speak of anyone eating my daughter, Silarius.” Lucius whined like only a younger brother would do to his older sibling. “It is my understanding that the two share mutual feelings, but Lesatan has caused a ripple in their relationship.”

“That explains the long gazes from across the room.” He took a drink from his cup and then looked inside it as if it betrayed him for being empty. “It is a sad day indeed when I spend my time watching children long for each other during a celebration and not actually celebrating. Though my wife was not feeling well, and without her here there is little fun to be had.”

“Your genuine love for one another makes me sick to my stomach.” Lucius grunted and rolled his eyes.

“Do you plan to act on Lesatan's interference? Perhaps you are pleased to know that he interrupted their courtship?” Silarius raised an eyebrow and tried to reach out for a passing tray of wine, but was unsuccessful. He glared at the servant who didn't notice him before making a pouting face.

Lucius handed his brother his glass of wine which pleased the older brother as he began to sip happily upon it. “I have chosen to remain outside the issue. This is between Lesatan and Lenore, and if I know my daughter, she will soon outsmart her brother and Lesatan will lose his control quickly enough. My boy may be smart and surround himself with the best and brightest, but he will never have Lenore's cunning.”

“Cunning? Perhaps, Damek has some to spare. He is always running about doing this and that. He makes my head spin.” Silarius chuckled.

“Cunning and scheming are not the same creature, Sil. Your boy is always up and about, but to what end I am uncertain. Mother does not seem to approve.” Lucius watched as more gems were given to the wed couple and as Aletta stared on with pride in her eyes.

“Yes, well, I plan to leave the country now that he is in control of the lands and my title. I only stayed this still for his benefit, therefore whatever he is plotting is now your problem.” Silarius realized he had finished off another glass of wine and frowned.

“Yes, run away that is what you do well.” Lucius mumbled.

“I will not be pulled into this argument again. Pardon me, I must hunt down another glass.” He quickly moved away before Lucius could say anymore.

Santh did not know what to expect when he saw the giant Mondue approach him. The dark haired being stood carefree beside him as he leaned against the wall trying to hide from more requests to dance. Krius initially said nothing and instead stared at his fellow Mondue until Santh finally looked up from the floor and made eye contact with him.

“It is unfortunate that she had to leave the South Dorm as she seemed to be doing well there.” Krius said without any note of sarcasm.

Santh's shoulders loosened as he had been prepared to hear how he should stay away from Lenore or some jealousy from the man, instead he seemed concerned for her. “I suppose so.” He replied though he wanted to ask a thousand different questions as to why she left, he knew better than to pry. If Lenore wanted him to know she would tell him.

“You realize that this was Lesatan's doing, do you not?” Krius folded his arms across his chest and their conversation slowly drowned out the chatter and music around them. Those that past by seemed like ghosts as Santh's heart raced at the clarification.

“I had suspected, but Lenore has said nothing to us.” He continued to lean against the wall and act as if his insides were not flipping around in joy and anguish all at once.

Krius nodded his head slowly. “Of course she said nothing that was what she was told to do. Abandon your lot forever.”

Pressing his lips together, Santh thought for a moment. “Yes, it seemed unlikely for Lenore to walk away after all she had done for the dorm, however I am curious as to why you are telling me. I am certain that Lesatan would not approve.”

“My Prince sometimes allows his mother's paranoia to get the best of him. He forgets that he actually loves his sister and knows she is his ally in all things. Which is why Lenore runs away from him in order to give him space and allow him room to breath. The Queen prefers to hold him tighter and all him to choke on her misunderstandings.” Krius pressed his own shoulder against the wall which caused Santh to look up toward the taller man.

“Again, I fail to see why speaking to me is the proper course of action.” Santh felt suspicious of the man though they had never truly spoken to each other before there was a sense of distaste. In some ways he felt like he competing with the man, but he did not understand for what or why. There was just a sense of competition in his eyes whenever he looked upon him.

He shrugged, “Before coming to this school, I tried to be Lenore's Mondue protector. Your father once did so for her, and she always feels more comfortable with one of our kind around. She used to follow me around the castle, never speaking, but just standing in my presence. After a time, it was decided that she and I were to become engaged. I failed in that endeavor and I am lucky that she remained silent as to why it fell apart.”

Santh slowly stood up straight. “I see.”

“You are her protector now. She looks across the room to see you. It is not because she can run to you or even speak with you, it is because just seeing you makes her feel safe. She needs for you to pass in her sights from time to time even if you are helpless in assisting her.” Krius cleared his throat and stood up from his leaning position.

“The only course of action I am allowed at this moment is to pretend as if her lies are all true. I must appear fooled as that is what she desires from me. When she asks me to stop pretending I will.” Santh explained and looked across the room in hopes of spotting her.

“She is speaking with Damek at the moment.” Krius motioned in the opposite direction that Santh was looking. “Very well, you do what you must. This I can understand, but note that our Princess is miserable. I hear her cry at night once in a while and I can do nothing for her. I lost my place beside her and I realize that now.”

Santh watched as Krius walked away after bowing his head for a moment. He placed his hand over his heart and willed it to calm itself. He had not expected to gain insights into Lenore that night, but a joy passed over his heart to know that his suspicions were true. Though as his eyes fell upon her as she chatted with Damek, he felt his heart sink.

She was miserable though she did not look it. Taking a deep breath, Santh shook the thought of approaching her out of his mind. She needed him to be fooled and a fool he would be.

---***---

“Grandmother.” Damek was surprised to see Relia approach him as she rarely spoke to him, but it was no wonder why she had. After all, he had just been speaking to her favorite grandchild and she would always be curious as to what anyone had to say to Lenore.

“Damek, you have certainly been buzzing around all night, I could barely catch you until now.” Relia placed her hand on his shoulder and lead him to the side of the ballroom where they could speak alone. She made sure to place them as far from the orchestra as possible. “I understand that your father is handing you all of his land and titles so he can prance around the world without a care. Are you certain that you are prepared for such responsibilities? I think it would be best if I went home with you and assisted you in preparing for the future.”

“The future?” Damek tried to sound polite and pretend that he did not know that his grandmother merely wanted to spy on him.

“Yes, of working with Lesatan as the King. I know you harbor anger over the fact that your father chose not to become king, but that was all long before you were born. Had he not chosen such a path, you never would have been born as he would have never met your mother.” Relia gave a gentle smile.

It seemed that though Silarius and Lucius had been on the opposite side of the room, they both rushed over to their mother when they noticed her speaking to Damek. They gave each other a look that told of their annoyance with this situation. Mother had a way of upsetting Damek and now was not the time to bring out his fury.

“Mother.” Both of her sons spoke at once and Damek immediately bowed his head before scurrying away from his grandmother.

“I should have known you two would sniff me out before I had a decent conversation with the boy.” Relia sighed as she was handed a wine glass by her eldest.

The two grinned and remained standing with her without saying a word.

“So, speak to me of Lesatan. His always has plots when it comes to his sister, but this time he has simply gone too far!” Relia raised her voice which caused Lucius to hush her.

“Seriously, you two. All you speak of is Lesatan and Lenore.” Lucius grunted. “I will tell you as I told your son here. This is between them and you must remove yourself from the situation. Do not speak to Lenore or offer to help her. She must climb her way out on her own.”

Relia frowned and crossed her arms.

Silarius, on the other hand, chuckled. “This is why I waited a great length of time between children. Once my daughter came into the world, Damek was old enough to know he need not worry about competition between them.”

Lucius and Relia stared at him for a great length of time before they both laughed and Lucius placed his hand on his brother's shoulder. “Your daughter will someday be an adult, and I promise there will be a cause for jealousy over what life you have laid out for her versus what you have simply given Damek.”

Silarius pressed his lips together, “Ah, she will be traveling the world with her mother and myself. There will be little time for jealousy when she gets to see the beauty that exists out there while her brother signs documents in his dark study.”

Relia snorted, “So, now you are saying that you will treat her better than your son. You are right, Sil, there will be no resentment between them.”

He watched his mother walk away before looking to Lucius, when he opened his mouth to speak Lucius shook his head and slowly moved away as well.

---***---

As the group made their way out of the grand hall and towards the dorm, they remained silent. Santh had gathered everyone up to leave once he was tired and he had seen Lenore leave. Once he could no longer sneak glances at her; the joy of dancing with others had ended and he wanted to return to his room.

The words that Krius had spoken to him echoed in his head and he thought of dancing with the princess. His hands tingled at her touch that occurred many hours ago. He forced himself to hold back and not speak to her about what he had learned. She was not telling him for a reason and he may never know why, but he knew he had to respect that decision.

Walking beside him, Ophelia kept her eyes on Remus who was walking ahead of her. He had never asked her to dance that evening, and a resentment had built up. In fact, he hadn't spoken to her at all.

She had spent her entire evening either on Routine's arm or dancing with some of the party guests. It seemed that now she was suspected of being announced as Routine's future bride that the blame of the traitor was temporarily removed. No one wanted to upset the future leader of the entire Souchan Guild by mistreating her.

Remus, on the other hand, walked slowly in front of the group and couldn't lay his eyes upon his lady love. There was a jealousy in his heart. She looked so comfortable next to Routine, and he seemed very accommodating towards her. Routine didn't treat Lenore that well, and though he tried to tell himself that it was all an act; he couldn't help but feel the pain.

He didn't know why he was angry with Ophelia after all this was his idea and she had nothing to do with his jealousy. However, he didn't want to look into her eyes and allow her a chance to see his frustrations.

Finally, Routine walked with Ophelia beside him oblivious to the fact that his friends hurt around him. His mind was on Lenore and how she did not seem herself any longer. She was slowly turning into whatever it was that Lesatan was making her into, and he knew he could do nothing to stop it.

Though, he was rather proud to see how lovely and graceful his sister had been that day. She looked like the future Queen of the country and he felt at peace knowing that his blood would one day sit on the throne, even if it was an emotional version of himself.

“Piera was a truly lovely sight today, was she not?” Routine finally spoke breaking the silence that covered the group.

Remus took notice that there were no overly embellished words in his sentence which is how he normally spoke to Ophelia now. “Yes.” He replied.

Ophelia smiled and nodded. As much as she wished to speak about Piera's dress, her heart was not prepared for such a conversation as it was occupied elsewhere.

Santh grunted in response because in truth he hadn't listened to what Routine had said, and was just following the cues of those around him.

Routine noticed their pathetic answers and frowned. He thought for a moment over the evening before he looked towards Ophelia. “Remus, you asked earlier to dance with Ophelia, but you did not approach her.”

Remus swallowed as he continued to walk ahead of them. “Ah, yes. I had planned on dancing with her, but it appeared that most of the evening she was attending to your political needs. I did not wish to intrude.”

“I had given permission. I hardly see how it was an intrusion.” Routine watched as Ophelia's face looked pained.

“It is alright. I had a wonderful evening.” Ophelia patted Routine's arm before placing her hand in the crook of his elbow.

“Very well.” Routine couldn't help but feel that he was missing some cues in this group, but he shrugged his shoulders. He had done his due diligence for Ophelia, and the rest could be sorted out without him.