Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CMS:BT) Chapter 6

Throwing the last bag of trash into his bedroom, he looked around his semi-cleaned apartment. At least the beer bottles and pizza boxes were gone. Trent stood with his hands on his hips proud of himself for the clean up job. Looking at his suit, he collected himself, and tried to hide a stain on the white shirt.

"Damn it." He mumbled as he spit on his thumb to try and rub the stain out.

A knock came to the door, and he took several long strides to reach it. Opening it, he found a small graying man in a tuxedo, his hands folded in front of him.

"Mister Trent Monte?" He asked.

"Yes." He asked suspiciously.

"Miss Macrea sent me to pick you up." He told him, "My name is Gibson, the limo driver." He sighed, "She forgot to call, didn't she?"

"I'm afraid so."

Gibson nodded his thin, old head. "Well, that's Miss Macrea for you. Sweet girl, but always forgets to do her menial tasks. I'm a pet for the Macreas." He continued to explain, "Miss Macrea had some matters that needed her immediate attention, and she asked me to pick you up and bring you to Macrea Corp."

"Macrea Corp?"

"Yes, sir, the fundraiser is being held in the ballroom there." Gibson looked him up and down, "You aren't wearing that are you?"

Trent sighed, "It's all I got."

"Miss Macrea guessed that this would happen, she left a tuxedo in the trunk. You can change in the limo; the windows are tinted." Gibson began to walk down the hallway.

Trent suddenly felt like he didn't want to go, a limo driver had just insulted his clothing. Of course, it looked like he was wearing more expensive clothes than Trent's entire wardrobe.

"Coming, Mister Monte? Or are you going to disappoint Miss Macrea?"

He shook his head and grabbed his keys, when the door was locked he followed Gibson down the stairs.

---***---

Inside the limo, Trent put on the new tuxedo, and was shocked to find how perfectly it fit him. When he was dressed, he leaned back in the large seat and stretched out his arms.

After another moment, Gibson rolled down the window dividing him away from the back. "You don't meet many humans who wear their hair long." He said.

Trent grabbed the hair that fell over his shoulders; he had it tied back. "I like it long."

"Yes, it seems to be a kine style that was all I meant. I wore my hair about shoulder length when I was a young man, but with the loss of my hair it started to become worthless."

Trent nodded, and listened to the silence between them. "You've known Miss Macrea long?"

"Oh, my entire life." Gibson said with some excitement in his voice, Trent thought that the man might be starving for attention.

"Your whole life?"

He nodded, "My parents were pets, but they were never turned. Miss Macrea actually played with me when I was a child. The other children and I use to chase her around the garden on the roof. She wasn't always as dark as she is now. Used to be a lovely woman, it was the Fausto genes."

Trent grinned, the old man just told him more then he should have. He decided to play along like he already knew about it. "Yes, well, the Faustos have always been rather generous to human causes. Employing our kind, and always willing to throw money at any troubles that we have. Macreas aren't as giving, I guess you could say."

Gibson nodded, "I wish it weren't true, but it is. The Faustos have a better relationship with humans, which is why they are left alone more often than other clans."

"Left alone?"

"Oh yes, but those damn religious cults that think kine are demons from hell. Those bastards were at Mister Cullen's funeral yesterday. They attacked Miss Macrea and Mister Macrea with rotten tomatoes. Poor Miss Macrea, she was covered from head to toe." He chuckled.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh, not that she was attack. No, no, that is certainly not funny. I was just thinking about when she returned, everyone looked at her covered in that nauseating slime. She just smiled so wide at us all like nothing was the matter." He chuckled again, "Never seems to mind that those damn cults harass her so much."

"They do it often?"

"She is considered royalty among both the Macreas and the Faustos. I can't think of anyone who gets harassed more than her."

"But I thought the Faustos were left well alone."

He shook his head, "Just not as often, but she is part of the Macrea clan. A couple days ago, she came home with blood all over her. Some brat purposely knocked her over spilling her lunch all over her new outfit."

"Yeah, she told me about that, said a kid accidentally knocked her down."

Gibson snorted, "Accidentally, ha! Boy had a cult tattoo on his upper arm, he was targeting her. Wasn't the first time that the same boy has bothered her either. But Miss Macrea never makes a fuss about it, never tells Mister Adriel Macrea or even Mister Marcellus Macrea. Oh, Mister Marcellus would throw a fit if he heard about half the things that she keeps from him."

"Why would Marcellus be upset?"

He looked at Trent through the rearview mirror, "I don't know if I should be saying this, I've told you quite a bit already. If you said anything to Miss Macrea or anyone, I would be fired or worse lose my chance to be turned."

Trent nodded, "Well, I don't want you to tell me anything that would get you in trouble."

Gibson sighed, "Ah, I trust you." His desire to please another living soul over weighed his want to become one of the kine. "It's just a rumor mind you, but Mister Marcellus visits Miss Macrea's room quite often. He isn't suppose to since she is Mister Adriel's toy."

"What? Corliss is a toy?" He spoke the words with shock.

"Oh dear, I said more then I should have. You won't say anything will you? I…"

"No, don't worry none. I won't say anything. Like I said, I don't want to get you into any trouble."

Gibson grinned, "So, you are working with Miss Macrea on Mister Cullen's case?"

Trent told him that he was, and then suddenly a plan came to mind, "Hey, Gibson, could I ask you something?"

"Sure, Mister Monte."

"Call me Trent, please. At Rylan Cullen's funeral, Miss Macrea was holding a white rose, isn't that for family?"

Gibson swallowed, "Oh, now I know this is definitely not my place to say anything. I'm afraid that I just can't answer that for you."

He nodded disappointed, "I understand, Gibson. Don't worry about it." Trent put his hands behind his head.

"You should feel lucky to have caught the eye of such a prominent kine." Gibson said after a few moments.

"Caught the eye? Of a prominent kine? I don't understand."

"Me, I am not a pet to such a high ranking kine, it's doubtful that I will ever be turned. I pray that my grandchildren will someday though." He stopped at a red light, and turned to look at Trent, "Becoming a pet to Mister Adriel though, you are bound to become a kine, especially with how valuable you are."

"A pet to Mister Adriel?"

Gibson rose an eyebrow, "It's not secret that you seek to become his pet, after Corliss gave you that recommendation."

"I see." Trent grinded his teeth, "Light is green."

He turned around and continued to drive, "Course there are perks of becoming a pet to such a high kine as well."

"Oh, what are they?"

He chuckled, "I'm not a very forward man, and it embarrasses me to even think it, let alone say it." He swallowed, "But pets for higher kine have rights to… ah, sleep with vampires of the same clan."

"Oh?" Trent rose an eyebrow.

"As long as their master grants them permission." He laughed, "That's probably why Corliss recommended you, isn't it?"

"I have no idea."

"Never slept with one myself, but I have had friends that have. Some refused to go back to humans afterwards. Made a life of serving certain kine. Sad really, since most of them never had any children and they were never turned."

They pulled into the parking garage and began up to the third story.

"Their choice, I suppose."

Gibson nodded, "I suppose."

---***---
Trent stepped out of the elevator beside the large vamp, who he was certain had to be a body guard. Tuxedo or not, he knew a warrior class vampire when he saw one. The vamp had only spoken once and that was when he opened the limo door to tell him to follow him.

He looked around the large hallway that he now stood in. There was a hall to his left and right, and three sets of double doors ahead of him. A large red carpet in the center of the floor, as well as several potted trees.

"Stay." The vamp told him before disappearing down the hall.

Trent crossed his arms, and leaned back on one foot. He couldn't hear the sounds of a party nearby and wondered what they were doing on this floor. When he heard voices coming from the hallway, he straightened his stance and arranged his tux.

"Well, don't you look handsome." Corliss appeared from the right hallway, her arms extended to him.

Trent's heart skipped a beat when he saw how she was dressed. She wore a gray evening gown with a slit on her right side all the way up to her hip. Her high heels matched her dress as well as her long gloves. Silver and diamond studded jewelry hung from her ears and neck. Her hair was in a French bun with what Trent was certain was diamond studded hair clips.

The large vampire body guard walked behind her, as she fixed Trent's suit. He was surprised that she was even willing to touch him in front of another of her kind.

"Thank you." Trent responded, "You look nice tonight as well." The words caught in his throat, in truth he was pissed about what he had learned in the limo. "Can I talk to you?" He grabbed her wrists, and the body guard stepped forward.

"Of course."

Trent looked at the large vamp, "Alone?"

Corliss looked at her body guard, "David is a trusted servant."

He frowned, "I would still prefer alone."

She sighed, "We will be right back." She told David, and pulled Trent through one of the double doors. They stood in a large ball room that was completely empty. Corliss flipped the switch that turned on the chandeliers, before turning to face him.

"So, you've recommended me to become a pet for Adriel?" He didn't want to offend, but needed to know what he was getting into.

Corliss chuckled, "No, oh dear." She pinched the bridge of her nose for a moment, "Gibson and his big mouth, if anyone else had been available I would have sent them instead. I spoke to Adriel about inviting you to the fundraiser, and so that no one would question your presence, he said he would tell people that you were seeking his favor. That way people wouldn't think I was consorting with… well, you know."

Trent crossed his arms, "Exactly why did you invite me?"

"I thought you might like to be able to mingle with some of the elders. Maybe you'll see something that I don't."

"Why wouldn't you see something suspicious and I would?"

She shrugged, "I am with them day in and out…"

"That would be the exact reason why you would be able to see something suspicious better then I could."

Corliss grinned, "Are you scared?" She stepped forward and untied his bowtie, so she could retie it.

Trent watched her retying his bowtie, but grabbed her wrists before she was through, "You want to tell me what's going on here?" He asked, shoving her hands down.

"I am trying to work with you. I have invited you to a very private social gathering, where you have access to elders. Do you honestly think that you would have ever been able to even see them without my help?" She folded her arms and tapped her right foot. A stance that made Trent grin, "If you don't want to do this, then you can leave. No one is forcing you to go."

"Why would Adriel help me get in?"

"I told him it was for the investigation. He agreed because he wants to find Rylan's killer as soon as possible."

Trent bit his inner cheek, he wasn't certain if he believed anything that she was saying.

Corliss stepped forward again, and finishing tying his bowtie. When she was done; she flattened down the shoulders of his jacket with the palm of her hands. "You can keep this tuxedo, by the way."

He frowned, "You said it was black tie, not tuxedo."

She shrugged, "Sorry, it's not like I left you without."

"What was so important that you couldn't come pick me up yourself?"

Corliss chuckled, "Oh please, don't act as if Gibson didn't talk your ear off. We both know you got your fair share of information about me and the clan."

Trent grinned, "Alright."

"So, you want to come up to the party or not?" She still had her hands resting on his shoulders.

"Yeah, I'll come up."

"Good, and after this, I'll take you home, and you can tell me if you saw anything interesting at the funeral."

Trent nearly gagged, "What?"

"When you were spying at the funeral yesterday. Please, Trent, your car stuck out like a pile of trash in a rose garden. So did that damn Geo that those pups drive. They were lucky that Adriel strictly forbid the others to approach them." Suddenly, she frowned, "See them throw tomatoes at me?"

Trent nodded, "Yeah, I saw."

Corliss stepped back, "You would think we could find some peace on our day of mourning." She shrugged, "Oh well, Rylan got his funeral."

"What is he to you?" The question came out before he thought it over.

Her eyes connected with his, "The white rose, right?"

He nodded.

There was no response from her, as her mind tried to find an answer.

"No lies, Corliss. Just tell me the truth. Are you the Fausto that was wed to Adriel's son?"

"Yes."

Trent frowned, "Is Rylan a Fausto? And are you related to him?"

"Yes."

"How are you related to him?"

Corliss cleared her throat, and looked towards the door. She felt his fingers touch her chin and gently turn her to look at him.

"How are you related to him?"

"He is my brother." She answered.

"Son of a bitch. Why did they send you to investigate your own brother's murder? You could very well be a suspect."

She snorted, "My brother was born after I was sent over to the Macreas. We barely knew each other. After he killed Marcellus' toy almost twenty years ago, he was sent as a peace offering from the Faustos. I hardly ever spoke to him, and when I did it was purely business."

"He was still your brother!" Trent snapped.

She shook her head, "By blood only. But…" She sighed.

"But, what, Corliss? Let's clear the air, so we can get to the bottom of this murder." Trent knew that the vamp elders would never change their investigator, he had to work with Corliss, but needed to know anything she did.

"He did tell me some things on occasion. You know, we were both Fausto royalties forced to be Macrea toys. Sometimes, you just need to talk to someone who can empathize with you."

"What did he tell you?"

Corliss looked like she was about to cry, "He told me that he was keeping several women without Marcellus' knowledge. A few kine and some humans, but he never told me anything about the pup. If I had known about it, I would have said something right away."

Trent nodded his head, "Anything else?"

She gently shook her head, "No, that's all I know."

"I don't believe this."

"Don't tell the pups. They will only think that I am trying to lead your investigation astray."

He frowned.

"I'm not! I want to find my brother's killer more than anyone. I truly need to know who took his life, be that kine, pup, or human, Trent, I swear!" She squealed, and a tear ran down her right cheek.

"Ok, ok, I believe you." He didn't, but he couldn't handle the sight of a woman crying.

She took off her right glove, and wiped the tear off. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For crying, I should have better control over myself." After clearing her throat, she slipped her glove back on. "We are still going to the party, right? I am sure everyone is waiting for me by now."

Trent nodded, "Yes, but you have to promise to be honest with me from now on, Corliss. Otherwise, I am hiding any information that I find, and sharing only with the pups."

"Deal."

To his utter shock, Corliss cupped his face and kissed his lips quickly and gently. Letting go of his face, she walked towards the door and put her hand on the doorknob. Trent was left standing alone, he wasn't sure if he liked the thought of a vamp kissing him.

"Sorry about that." Corliss clear her throat again, "Force of habit. I get into trouble with Adriel a lot, and we kiss to seal his forgiveness. Don't tell anyone I did that."

Trent nodded his head. When they were in the elevator, he realized that she had just done something to him, that she would normally do to the leader of the Macrea clan. He wondered if that meant she saw him as someone to be respected. Whatever it was, he liked it.

---***---
Entering into the largest ballroom that Trent had ever seen, Corliss took him by the crook of his arm. She lead him to a group near the entry way that had acknowledged her with nods when she entered.

"You are late." The man that Trent recognized to be Adriel Macrea said, before Corliss kissed his lips briefly.

"I'm sorry, but beauty takes time." Corliss joked, "This is Trent." She pointed at him with her hand. "Trent, this is Adriel Macrea, Marcellus Macrea, Ezekiel Brick, and his lovely wife, Jacinda."

Trent shook each of their hands, a little surprised that they were more then willing to greet him in such a human fashion.

"So, you are the one trying to catch Adriel's eye." Jacinda said, her black hair flowing over her shoulders. She seemed like the ideal vampire with dark hair, eyes, black dress, and pale skin.

Trent grinned, he wasn't about to admit to their lie.

Jacinda put her hands to his chest and rubbed down to his stomach, when Trent jumped backwards she laughed. "He's a little shy." She said to Corliss, "If Adriel doesn't accept him, make sure to send him to my room."

"Jacinda!" Ezekiel laughed along side his wife, "Excuse us, seems she can't handle herself around the human guests." With that the pair walked onto the dance floor in the center of the ballroom.

"It's good to meet you, Mister Monte." Adriel finally said, "That is a exquisite suit, I wouldn't think a man stuck in your career could afford such quality clothing."

Corliss patted his chest, "Oh, he's got some taste, Adriel."

"I am sure you are referring to yourself." Marcellus teased.

Trent tried to pretend he was enjoying the conversation, but in truth it was angering him. He didn't like to sound like he was owned by anyone, especially when others thought he was trying to become a vampire. As if a man like him would want to be owned by a vamp like Adriel.

"Would you like some champagne?" Corliss asked him, and he nodded.

She left him standing in front of the two elders as she disappearance into the crowd.

"We appreciate you continuing the case, even though there seems to be very little human involvement." Adriel told him.

"I like to see things through, you never know when more evidence might appear that may lead to my doorstep." Trent missed Corliss already, he felt unprotected without her.

Marcellus patted his shoulder, "I am most appreciative. Rylan was a dear friend. True, he was my toy, but I valued his loyalty and companionship. Last few weeks, almost on a daily basis, I ask for him to be sent to my office." He sniffled and wiped a tear from his cheek. "I look forward to the punishment of whoever did this."

Trent tried not to roll his eyes, he had never seen such bad acting before.

Corliss returned and offered him a glass of champagne, "We will find his murderer, Marcellus. You can rest assured."

"I know you will, darling." He kissed her lips, before looking to Adriel, "Well, I think most of the people are here, we should begin the auction don't you think?"

Adriel nodded, "Yes, excuse us, love." He kissed Corliss as well before following Marcellus into the crowd.

She smiled at Trent when they were gone, and noticed that he had already downed his drink.

"So, point out the people of importance to me." Trent demanded.

Corliss took his glass and handed her own to him. "I will when I get back." She walked away with the empty glass.

Trent looked down at the crystal glass that had red lipstick print on one side, where Corliss had taken a sip. He shrugged and down her glass as well. If he was going to be stuck in a room full of fake snobs, then he would need a few to loosen up. Corliss returned with two full glasses, and laughed at the glass she knew she would find empty.

Handing him another glass, she reached her gloved hand up to his lips and wiped away some lipstick, "Not your color. I would go with a more natural shade for your skin tone."

He wiped the rest off with the back of his hand. "You are being a little too friendly for my tastes."

"I'm acting the part, dear." Corliss smiled, "I have to portray myself as kind, generous, and…"

"Which one are you then? Corliss on the street or the Corliss in here?"

She grinned, "Whatever one I need to be."

"Who would you rather be?"

Her smile faded, "Why do you want to know?"

Trent shrugged, "Guess the difference is making me nervous. Now, what was this about an auction."

"I told you that it's a fundraiser. See several guests as well as the Macrea Corp have donated items to be put on auction. The money received will go to charities around the world. Makes us look generous without us having to spend too much money." Corliss smiled at him. "We don't have to go into the auction room, though." She took him by the arm again.

"Oh good." Trent downed his glass again.

"You better slow down, otherwise you'll be going home before I have a chance to introduce you to anyone."

"I'll be fine." Trent snapped.

"You are just suppose to sip it." She offered her glass to him, and took his empty one.

"Suppose to sip it, my ass." Trent mumbled under his breath as he downed the new glass she gave him, when Corliss went to get him another drink.