Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CMS:BT) Chapter 7

Trent sat on the opposite side of the limo seat from Corliss, who had insisted that she take him home. He didn't like that she was willing to spend more time with him, but realized that he had drank an awful lot of champagne. He told himself that she just wanted to make sure he got home safely, not that he was driving himself.

They had spent most of the evening in the dinning hall, she had tried to introduce him to as many people as possible. No one had any information that they could use, not that he was actively questioning them. He knew that he had to fit in, which was why he hadn't argued with the large woman who had asked him to dance. At least, she was human, it was better then dancing with a vamp. Except for the fact that the woman couldn't dance and kept stepping on his feet, until Corliss came and rescued him.

It wasn't surprising at all, that she could dance better then he could. After all, she had probably spent her life in ballroom dancing classes, when he was at the shooting range. She had also been kind enough to stand up for him, when other vampires tried to bother him about becoming a pet. Most acted like predators looking for prey, but he had heard that there was a shortage of willing humans. It was nothing like when he was younger, and people were dumb enough to believe they would be turned. Most pets were born into the life by their parents who had fallen victim to their false promises.

"Your people can really put on a show, by the end of the night I was almost convinced that they were the good species on the planet." Trent said once the silence became too much for him.

"Do you think we are demons too? Like those radical religious cults?"

He shook his head, "No, but I don't believe that you aren't saints either." When he looked over, her leg was folded over the other. The slit on the side of her dress allowing her sculpted thigh to lay bare. Trent swallowed, and turned his eyes away when he realized he was having scandalous thoughts about a vampire.

Corliss grinned, she had noticed it. The alcohol that he had consumed blocked his uncanny ability to hide his true intentions. "I suppose we aren't, but need I remind you that seventy three percent of all crime in the world is caused by humans."

"That's because we outnumber vamps and dogs." Trent put his elbow on the door and rested his head in his hand.

"Obviously, you don't understand averages." She cleared her throat, "See anything interesting at the funeral yesterday… or the party?"

"No, both were a pretty big wastes of time. Besides finding out you are related to our victim. Which I still think it's immoral for you to be working on this case."

"I'm sorry, I did not ask to do this. As a matter of a fact, this is my first case."

Trent sighed, "Oh, this just keeps getting better, doesn't it?"

"I've had plenty of training, this is what Adriel wanted to use me for. I know all kine investigating techniques, several martial art styles, and I have even begun to understand the power of mind reading. Though I am still very much an amateur. Not many of us learn to use such an ability."

He nodded, "Yeah, and vamps can sense when people are lying, blah, blah, blah. Still, as soon as they knew you were on your brother's case, they should have pulled you."

"I get the feeling that you don't like me, Trent."

His head spun around to look at her, "Really? Just now?"

Corliss frowned, "Alright, well, at least we've made that clear enough, I suppose. Personally, I hold a great deal of respect for you, and that won't change just because you don't have any for me in return."

Trent laughed out loud, "Respect for me? Are you kidding me? When you respect someone you don't hold information from them. You don't hide evidence, and you certainly don't insult them every chance you get."

"Insult you?"

He snorted, "This tuxedo, you think that I am too poor to buy my own goddamn suit and tie… shit, I forgot my suit and tie in the other limo."

"I'll bring to you tomorrow." Corliss continued to frown, "And it will be the last you see of me, until I come across anything useful to the investigation."

"Oh no, we are sticking together on this. You've already proven that you can't be trusted. No way that I would let you go out on your own."

"Let me? What do you think that I am your toy?"

Trent laughed mockingly, "No, seems to me that Adriel has that claim on you."

Her jaw dropped, "How did… damn it, Gibson!" The driver they had now was not the same man that had driven Trent to the Corp building.

"Not only that, but there was absolutely nothing at the auction of interest to the investigation. Other then a master who didn't give a shit about his dead toy." Trent barked. "So, why the hell did you bring me there?"

He could see the anger rising in her cheeks, "Because I needed a date, ok?" It was Trent's turn to drop his jaw. "I wanted to bring someone that would actually talk to me, instead of running around trying to impress the elders. I thought, 'Hey if he learns a thing or two that helps in the investigation all the better.' Happy now, Trent? Happy that you got me to admit to it?"

He realized that he had leaned in closer to her, and pulled himself back to look out the window. "Alright, at least it's the truth."

The tension in the silence was thick enough to choke on as the limo continued towards his apartment complex.

"You looked very pretty tonight, Corliss." He finally said, hoping to clear out some of the friction.

"Thank you." She grumbled with her teeth clenched.

"Of course, you always look pretty. That's just the vampire way though, right? Always look presentable no matter who you are seeing, everyone should dress as if they are meeting with a king. I like that about your people." He cleared his throat.

"You don't have to make up compliments, Trent."

When he looked over her arms were crossed, and she stared out her own window. "Who's making it up?"

Her eyes turned to him even though her head did not, "The tuxedo was a gift, as a friendly gesture. It wasn't meant to say that you couldn't afford anything nice, that's why I told Gibson to check what you were wearing first."

"I know, I actually appreciated it. It fits perfectly, and this has to be custom made. How'd you figure out my measurements?"

Corliss shrugged, "I guessed. A lot of the elders like my fashion sense, so they are always sending me to have clothes made for them."

"Had it made rather quickly."

"Helps when the Macreas own their own clothing line; complete with tailors." She smiled and turned her head towards him.

Trent grinned back, "Can I ask you something?"

She nodded, "Anything."

"As Adriel's toy, what do you do?"

Corliss swallowed hard, "You know he keeps me as his toy to keep me safe from the clan. They would kill me if they got a chance."

"That doesn't answer my question."

She nodded, "I know, but I wanted you to know why I am a toy. I run errands for him, do these investigations… well, now I do. Pretty much a secretary."

"Do you sleep with him?"

"Trent! Good grief, what a thing to ask a lady."

He was leaning forward again, and leaned back, "I'm sorry, I probably should have phrased it better."

"As a toy, I am no better then a slave."

"Slavery is outlawed in the United Stated, Corliss."

She laughed, "For humans, Trent. Not many laws are applied to the kine, as long as we keep it away from human eyes."

"So, you do, don't you?"

The smile she was wearing was replaced with a somber look, "I do whatever he tells me to do, Trent. No questions asked. Most of the time the things he does to me doesn't lead to that no, he would be disgraced if he got a Fausto pregnant." She chuckled nervously, "It's funny really, I have the Macrea name, but I am not welcomed in the Macrea clan. And because I have the Macrea name, I am not a Fausto anymore either."

He nodded his head slowly, "It's hard to not belong."

Corliss nodded, "I'm sorry that you didn't like being referred to as a pet this evening." She remembered him flinching every time someone introduced him as one.

"I think that is the worst kind of slavery. They are so in lust with the idea of becoming something that they aren't, they don't even notice the chains on their wrists."

"Pets are free to go whenever they please. Human slavery is against the law." She told him.

He shook his head, "No, you vamps do something to them. Make them all crazy, make them see nothing else for them. Look at Gibson, he's is like seventy years old, and is still hanging onto this dream. He knows that he's too old to be turned, but he wants his grandchildren to make it, so he keeps working for you people."

"Not all pets are delusional, only the ones that want to be."

"Fuck that!" He barked, "My mother didn't know what she was doing!"

Corliss rose an eyebrow questioningly.

Trent stared into her eyes for a moment, "When I was ten, my mother and sister disappeared. Left my father, my brother, and me alone to care for ourselves. A few years later, after hiring a private investigator, my father found my mother. She had taken my sister to live with a vamp clan, she had been seduced by a god damn vamp. His loyal servant, she was not herself."

Corliss dropped her eyes to the floor of the limo.

"My father brought me and my brother along to try to convince her to come back to us. He thought maybe if she saw the faces of her sons that she would realize what she had done. She didn't even know my name!" His voice cracked, "That vamp showed up and fed my mother some of his blood… right there in front of her husband and children. Told us that she belonged to him now, and he would never let her go."

"Didn't your father call the police?"

Trent nodded, "They showed up, my mother said she wanted to stay and be his pet, and there was nothing else they could do. My father fought court battle after court battle trying to get my sister back, but that vamps could afford such expensive attorneys, that we never saw her again. I know my mother died during a pack attack, but for all I know my sister is still in that damn building. She might even be a vamp now, I don't know."

"If she is still alive, and was a child back then, odds are they turned her." Corliss told him, even though she knew he didn't want to hear it. "It was the Macreas, wasn't it?"

Trent nodded, "Kaleb Macrea."

"One of Adriel's sons." Corliss mumbled. "I… She had to have asked to drink his blood, Trent. Kaleb, also, had to care for her."

"Care for her? To turn her into a zombie?"

"She was hardly a zombie. What I was going to say, is that in order to turn a human into a kine, there has to be an exchange of saliva and blood. If he was feeding her blood, then he couldn't feed from her without turning her."

"Why would he feed her blood anyway? Just to control her mind?"

Corliss shrugged, "There are many different reasons. Our blood can keep diseases from spreading in human bodies, can help psychiatric problems, could your mother have been sick?"

He shook his head, "No, she was fine."

"Then I don't know, Trent. I'm sorry, Kaleb has always been one of the most selfish Macreas. I honestly wouldn't put it past him to use his blood to control your mother's mind. It's a shame he will take over when Adriel passes on."

Trent hadn't expected her to be sympathetic or even say anything against Kaleb. "Thank you, Corliss."

"Is that why you got into paranormal investigations? To help the pets?"

"Part of me wanted to help them… another part wanted to be able to put them out of their misery. After living with vampires for so long, they never seem able to cope with living in the human world again. Most commit crimes or suicide." He felt the limo stop.

"Looks like we are here, I'll walk you to the door." Corliss said and before he could reject her offer, she had gotten out of the limo and was heading towards his building.

---***---
Opening the door, Trent stepped out and realized that he was a lot more drunk then he thought. Corliss came over to help him up the stairs, and told the driver she would be down in a while. When they got to his apartment door, Corliss asked him where his keys were.

"In that other suit, damn it." He kicked the door.

"Don't worry." She smiled and pulled two pins from her hair, "I know how to pick a lock." Kneeling down, he watched her fight his door's lock, after a few moments there was a click. Corliss stood up and opened the door for him, "Ta da!" She pointed to the door with both hands.

Trent smiled, "So, you are a thief too."

She chuckled, "When the moment calls for it. I'll make sure your keys are with the suit when I bring it over tomorrow morning around eight." She looked him up and down, he looked drunk, "Maybe nine… I'll call before I come." She told him as he stepped inside his apartment.

He leaned against the doorframe, "Well, despite that total lack of information collected, I did have some fun. Although, I think I like you better when you aren't trying to play into the favors of the elders."

"I thought you didn't like me."

Trent shrugged, "I don't like vamps in general."

"Oh, so it's not just me?" She giggled.

"Nah, actually, I think you are one of the nicer ones that I've met. Of course, I never worked with a born vamp before. Maybe all you born vamps are nicer then the turned ones."

She shook her head, "No, I think we are worse. And we are called pure bloods, not born vamps." Corliss wanted to go, as soon as possible. But she remembered Adriel wanted her to humor him, and she would do so as long as Trent was willing. After all, he wasn't as bad of a human as he could have been.

There was a silence as the two ran out of topics to discuss.

"Well, I think I should let you get your beauty sleep. You look like you are going to have a bad morning."

Trent gave a half grin, "I probably will. It's also probably why I liked you tonight as well. Don't worry, I'll be back to hating you in the morning."

"With the hang over you'll have, I will bet you'll hate everyone." She smiled.

"You are probably right. Good night, see ya tomorrow."

"Goodnight." Corliss placed a kiss on the corner of his mouth, and before she could back away felt his hands on her shoulders.

He held her in place for a moment, his eyes looking into her own. It was as if he was trying to make a decision about her. "Listen, I'm not Adriel or any other vamp for that matter. Don't kiss me anymore."

"Why not? It's a sign of respect."

He began to speak quickly, "Cause we humans don't take it as light heartedly as you vamps do. It's not a sign of respect to us, it's a sign of lust and love. And to be honest, I find you very attractive, and I don't like that I do. If you kissed me again, I might take it the wrong way, and then try to kiss you for real. Of course, then you would be offended that a blood bag like me would ever think that a elite vamp like you would want anything to do with me, so you would hit me. I've been slapped enough in my lifetime to know that I don't like it by humans, and you are a lot stronger then a human."

"Trent? You are a rambling drunk." Corliss whispered her lips a hair away from his own.

"People have told me that."

She leaned into kiss him again, but Trent jerked her back.

"Don't, just don't. I know how you vamps work, and I don't want to get myself or you into trouble."

Corliss grinned, "Stop calling me a vamp, Trent, it's offensive." She felt his grasp on her shoulders loosen, so she stepped forward to check his guard.

When her hands touched his chest, he looked up to the ceiling, "I have no interest in becoming a pet or a vamp, Corliss."

"Well good, because as a toy I can't have any pets, and I am not authorized to create any new 'vamps.' So, you are safe." She was breaking down his defenses already, she couldn't believe how easy it had been. Of course, she knew that humans had a high mating drive, and that they were easily attracted to kine.

She slid her hands up his neck to his cheeks, bringing his lips down to her own. Trent seemed to completely forget his objections from before, which could have been due to the alcohol in his system. Stepping forward, he took a step back allowing her into his apartment. When she was in, she grabbed the edge of the door and slammed it shut. She felt Trent's lip part in a smile at the sound of his door being slammed, and she decided that he thought she was being overly enthusiastic.

Trent grabbed her shoulders and pushed her up against the door, pinning her between himself and the wood of the door. His hands slid down her arms to her wrists, as Corliss suckled on his bottom lip. The feel of her fangs against his flesh caused him a dangerous excitement. Grabbing her wrists, he shoved her hands and his own behind her back near her buttocks. Corliss understood the type of men who liked to be in control of everything, after all Adriel was one, and she had dealt with him for over hundred years.

He gave no warning nor was gentle, when he forced his tongue into her mouth. Corliss could taste the mixture of champagne and shrimp cocktails, and suddenly felt guilty for taking advantage of his drunken state. He may be a useful tool to the Macreas, but she didn't want to benefit by deceiving him. She barely knew the man, and worst of all, he was human.

His right hand let go of her own, and grabbed the back of her head. She could feel her French bun weakening as his fingers made it's way into her hair. Trent tried to pull her closer to him, even though his head was screaming that this was a vamp. In truth, he was curious about some of the rumors that he had heard, most revolved around what Gibson had told him earlier. He pressed his hips into her, and heard her moan within her throat.

His tongue still exploring her mouth, his mind was still arguing with the rest of him. This was a vampire, he hated vampires. He hated them more then he hated werewolves, but then again he always dreamt of being with one. There was no way in the world that he would want to be one, but he desired to taste the forbidden fruit. That was until it became all too real, and he felt the prick on his tongue. He didn't know if she meant to do it, or if he had been to vigorous, but his tongue was bleeding. Every warning signal in his body screamed, telling him that this was really a vampire, it was no fantasy.

"I'm sorry." Corliss said pushing him away with her free hand.

He thought she was referring to biting him, but her guilt had actually taken control. She just couldn't go through with this, damn Adriel to hell if he didn't like it.

"You bit my tongue." He snapped, putting his hand over his mouth.

"You must have pressed against my fang, it wasn't like I purposely did it."

"Then why did you say you were sorry?"

Corliss didn't have an answer, she couldn't tell him the truth. "I can't do this. I'm sorry, I need to leave."

"Yeah, I think that would be best." Trent reached for the doorknob, and opened the door. "See you tomorrow." He shut the door when he heard her trying to give a goodbye.