Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CMS:BT) Chapter 15

Standing in front of the elder's doorway, Corliss inhaled several times, before she was ready to enter. The guard opened the door for her, but she did not enter. The room was dark and the table held the shadow of only one man; it was Adriel. Her heart began to pound wildly in her chest, her throat went dry, causing her to swallow desperately to moisten it.

"Enter, Corliss." Adriel hissed, placing his elbows on the table and folding his hands near his face.

Her shaking foot stepped over the thresh hold as the door was shut behind her. Having been in trouble before, she recognized all the signs of Adriel's anger. What she had done she did not know, but that answer wasn't far away. Her hands shook as she placed them on the chair to pull it out, but before she could sit down, Adriel was beside her. His long fingers wrapped around her throat, before her feet left the ground completely.

Grabbing his wrists, she tried to loosen his grip, but he was relentless in his hold of her throat. With a growl released from his lips, Corliss felt herself begin to move rapidly through the air, then Adriel's fingers left her throat. Her pain had not yet enter her mind, as she was dumbfounded by the attack, her back and head had slammed into the glass of the window.

She caught herself from falling though by grabbing the window's frame, though she would have only landed on the balcony outside. A cry desperately wanted to leave her lips, but she swallowed it down, as the sharp piece of glass entered into the palm of her hand. Adriel spared no time, before grabbing her shirt and pulling her in. She collapsed by his feet, but he gave her no time to rest there. Capturing her hair bun in his hand, he brought her to her feet, slamming her face into the wall several times. The taste of her own blood filled her mouth, before Adriel threw her to the floor.

Spitting out one of her fangs, she picked it up from the carpet. Her eyes returned to Adriel, who was breathing heavily above her. She swallowed down the blood that had collected in her mouth, waiting to see if Adriel was finished or just resting. She had not begged him to stop or let out any cries of pain, as she knew that would only prolong her punishment.

Kneeling down in front of her, Adriel took the fang from her hand, it was then that Corliss noticed the tears running down his cheeks. He grabbed her face and her fang once again fell to the floor from his hand. Jerking her forward, he brought her face inches within his own.

"Why do you do these things, Corliss?" He asked, tightening his grip within her hair. "I've given you everything." He shook her head, as if he were trying to gain her attention. "You are given more freedoms then any toy could wish for. I have never once asked for my share of your profits." His eyes glared deeply into her own, "I have given of my blood, of my status, and of myself to you, and how do you repay me?"

Before she could answer he jerked her again to silence her.

"I love you." He loosened his hold, and wiped some blood away from her lips with his thumbs. "Do you hold no love for me? When you look upon me, do you only feel hatred, Corliss?"

"No, Adriel, I love you." She was finally able to answer, "I give of myself to you, whenever you ask. What have I done to make you question this?"

His eyes wandered over to the table, and Corliss followed his direction. A dark blue folder laid on the table where he had been sitting. She recognized it immediately, it was the copy she had made of the Upper Circle files that she had stolen from Trent. She had hidden them underneath her bed in the box springs, which made her wonder how Adriel had discovered them. Her eyes widened with horror before she returned her gaze to Adriel.

He cocked his head to the side, "Why?"

Corliss began to shake violently, as this was an offense punishable by death. Tears began to stream down her eyes, "I don't know, Adriel. Why would I do that? I'm so sorry, please, please, forgive me." As she spoke blood began to drip from her mouth.

Straightening out his head, he kept his eyes deadlocked with her own. "If you were anyone else, you would be dead already, Corliss. I would have your treacherous body laid out for all to see, as it was mutilated and given to the toys to feed upon."

The malice in his voice sent a shiver up her spine that ended in pain when it reached her neck. "What will be done with me then?" She swallowed another mouthful of blood.

"Nothing." He whispered the spite was gone from his voice, "You have made yourself invaluable to me by becoming close with the Upper Circle's councilman's son." He brushed her loose hairs behind her ears, while holding onto her chin with his free hand. "That and I could never bring myself to order your death. You may become my son's wife, but you will always be mine, Corliss."

Again she swallowed, as Adriel kissed her chin, sucking at the blood that split from her lips. Once it was all cleaned, he turned his attentions to her lips. His tongue penetrated her mouth, as he licked up the blood that split from the wounds within. His left hand slide over her shoulder, while his right went under her arm. He pulled her closer to him and into his lap as he sat down. She felt his hand slide up her skirt, and knew that he planned to demonstrate exactly how she was his.
"What the hell happened to you?" Samara asked as she opened Trent's apartment door, and looked upon the beaten kine.

Corliss said nothing as she stepped inside the apartment. The pup's question pulled all attention to her. The bruises on her cheeks and throat, as well as swelling in her nose. Sitting down on the stool, she stared down at the counter, embarrassed of the situation that she had found herself in.

"Are you alright?" Trent asked.

"I'm fine." She mumbled, and was barely audible even to the packies. Clearing her throat, she briefly looked up at everyone only to find their eyes still on her.

Coyle had a piece of his donut stuck to his lips, and Isaac's hand was stuck in midair as it had been bringing another piece of the sugary bread to his mouth.

"Stop staring at me!" She snapped after another moment, as Samara came to stand beside her brother.

"Are you… are you missing a tooth?" Coyle asked.

She cleared her throat again, "It's a fang and it will grow back by the end of the week." She muttered, turning her eyes back to the counter.

"Did you get into a fight? I mean come on, you have to tell us what happened?" Samara was a little more then pleased to see the prim and proper kine looking like an average street brawler.

"Leave her alone, Samara. She obviously doesn't want to talk about it." Trent defended her.

"Did you talk to the council about Amelia?" Isaac asked, trying to change the subject. "I mean what did you say? Because you know, they aren't suppose to know about the bugs and stuff."

Corliss looked up at him, "I didn't get a chance." She pointed to her face, "I was preoccupied." She cleared her throat, "Anyway, that's why I came by. The council found out about the bugs and the inside agents, so you might want to inform the Upper Circle." With that she stood up and walked towards the door.

"Wait, how did they find out? Did you tell them?" Coyle asked, flipping around on his stool.

"Yeah, I told them. That's why I look like this." Corliss said with sarcasm, she flung the door open. "Now, if you will excuse me, I don't feel much like being ridiculed by you pups today." Exiting the apartment, she didn't shut the door behind her.

"Corliss, wait!" Trent yelled, running out from behind the counter and after her.

Catching up to her at the stairway, he grabbed her arm and swung her around to face him. Corliss let him as she had hoped he would chase after her.

"What happen? What's wrong?"

"You want to know what's wrong, Trent? Do you really want to know?" She didn't give him a chance to answer, "I am a fucking princess! A princess, I say! Do I look like a princess to you? No! I was forced to marry a man I didn't even know, and he killed himself so he wouldn't have to touch me! Then I was ordered to pretend that I wanted some sort of sick, warped relationship with you, a meat bag! And now, I am being forced to marry Adriel's bastard son, who only wants to keep me quiet! Oh and to top that off, Adriel beat the shit out of me, when he found out I was lying for you!" She threw her free hand in the air, "That's what's wrong, Trent! That's…" A tear ran down her cheek, "That's what my fucking problem is."

Trent was stunned, both by her admissions and the profanity that she used. He had never heard her speak that way before. Silently he stood for several moments, until he reached his arms around her and pulled her close to him. Corliss was stiff for a moment, before she relaxed and laid her head on his shoulder.

She sniffled, "And now Marcellus wants me to help him remove Adriel from power, and if I don't then he could have me killed as an unfaithful when he does become the high elder." She ran her moist eyes over his shoulder. "I don't know what the hell I am doing anymore."

"Most of us don't, Corliss. We just walk blindly in the dark."

"I can see in the dark." She said and smiled gently when Trent chuckled.

He tightened his arms around her, there was a long silence between them, and Trent feared that his companions might come out into the hall in search of him. Yet, when he heard Corliss give a sigh of contentment he didn't care any longer.

"Corliss? What's going on between us? I mean, is this all a game for you?"

"I… I don't know. Is it a game for you?" She looked up into his eyes.

Gently he shook his head, "Not anymore."

Her eyes fell to his chest, and for a moment, he thought she would break free of his grasp. Her breathes quickened and she looked around the hall, before her eyes reached back on his. "What will we do then?"

"I don't know. All I ever wanted to do was be near you since the moment I laid eyes on you."

"You are too old to become a kine," Before he could interrupt, she added. "not that you want to become one, I know. And what we have will always be forbidden among our people." Corliss whispered.

"Then we are doomed to fail?"

She nodded her head, "Yes, I suppose we are."

He dropped his arms; releasing her from his grasp. Corliss thought that he would walk away, and that it would all be over in these moments, instead he laid his hands on her cheeks. "Then we fail, but not without trying."

She gasped at his words.

"Will you try with me?"

Slowly, but surely she nodded her head. "I will try."

Trent grinned, and gently placed his lips to hers. He did so several times, as if testing to see if her beaten face could take the pressure. Finally, he collapsed his arms around her and kissed her as deeply as he could for as long as he could. When he released her, Corliss had to find her footing.

"I need to go." She mumbled, "I have things I must attend to at home. I have been neglectful of my other duties because of this case."

Trent nodded, "I will see you soon then?"

"Probably not until Monday." With that she turned around and headed down the stairs.

Reaching her car, she climbed inside, and tried to calm the loud poundings of her heart. She wasn't sure why it beat so, if it was love or fear that caused it's momentum. Laying her forehead on the stirring wheel, she sighed. A small drop of blood left her lips and landed on her jean covered thigh.

Quickly, she reached up to her mouth and wiped the blood away. There were still several opened wounds within her mouth from her teeth cutting her own flesh as Adriel beat on her. They had all stopped bleeding the night before, suddenly her heart began to beat rapidly again, this time with what she was certain was fear. Her eyes went to the window of Trent's apartment, as she questioned if it was possible that he had ingested any of her blood.

---***---
Inside his apartment, Trent looked at his partner and the werewolves, who were staring suspiciously at him. He refused to be ashamed of his feelings for Corliss, though he knew that the man he was only a week before would have been. Crossing his arms, he stood defiantly before their judging eyes.

Samara stood up, and cleared her throat. "Well, Coyle and I should get going." Her eyes wandered over to Isaac, letting him know that she was giving him time with his partner. "We haven't checked into headquarters in a while, and until we figure out what to do next…"

"Yeah, yeah." Trent waved his hand.

"We still on for tonight?" Samara asked out loud, which did embarrass him.

He gave a slow nod, before she disappeared into the hallway with her brother in front of her.

Isaac took a sip of his coffee and scratched above his right eye, a sure sign that he was trying to find the right words. "You want to tell me what's going on?" He finally asked, as Trent took a seat beside him to drink his own coffee.

"No."

He sighed, "Look, I am your partner, I would never betray your trust. So, let me have it."

Looking at his partner out of the corner of his eye, Trent tried to size him up. "I've fucked up." He mumbled, "I did the one thing that we are never suppose to do. I let a vamp get close to me, and I knew it would lead me here."

Isaac sighed again before drinking his coffee, "What are you going to do about it?"

"Not a damn thing." He turned on his stool to face him. "I mean I feel great, about myself, about my life. I haven't drank any alcohol in two days now."

"So, you want to become a vamp now? Is that it?"

Trent shook his head, "No. Besides, I am too old, they would never allow it."

Isaac seemed surprised with his partner's words, "It won't work, Trent. Corliss is a vamp, they despise cross breed relationships. What's more is the Upper Circle would have your badge if they found out about this. You would be considered to be a contaminated agent, unworthy of their trust. Haven't you put any thought into that? You could be throwing your life away for this!"

Slowly he nodded his head, "I know, Isaac, you are completely right. I'll turn in my badge tomorrow."

Isaac's jaw dropped, "That's not what I meant, Trent." He took a moment to huff as he tried to find the words and calm himself, "Do you hear yourself? I mean, you are Trent Monte, aren't you?"

"I don't want to betray the Upper Circle or my father, and by staying a detective and within their trust, I might do just that." Trent took another sip of his black coffee.

Isaac rubbed his eyes and forehead. "Look, I know that if we talked to the captain, not about the relationship, but say that she's harassing you, and you think they are trying to make you a pet…" He bit his lower lip, when he saw the glare that his partner was giving him. "The captain could call them and ask for another investigator, and put in an order that she stay away. You would never see her again."

Trent snorted, "Isaac, I feel great, do you understand that? The last time I felt this good was before my mother and sister left, and then I saw them and how happy they were and…" He stopped speaking realizing he may of gone to far.

Isaac swallowed deeply, "And what?"

Trent said nothing, only drank from his coffee cup.

"And what, Trent?"

He slowly turned his eyes to his partner, "And I knew that I would never be happy until I was like them."

"Like them? A slave to a vamp? That's what you wanted? No, that does not sound like the Trent that I've always known."

"The Trent that you've known, constantly lied to himself about his wants, and he doused them with alcohol to keep them at bay. I've always known the truth, but it took… it took Corliss to prove it to me."

"Corliss is a toy, god damn it! She can't have any pets!"

Trent chuckled, "She won't be soon. She's marrying Kaleb Macrea, and then she'll…"

Isaac stood from his stool, and it fell behind him. "I won't let this happen, Trent. I am going to the Upper Circle. You've been compromised and need some time in a decontamination tank. It's the vampire bite; it fucks with your mind." He headed for the door.

"I thought that I could trust you, Isaac." Trent mumbled, which caused his partner to stop with his hand on the door knob.

There was a long silence before Isaac made his way back over to his partner, "Ok, Trent, listen. Don't turn in your badge, don't say anything. Just stay away from Corliss for a week, and if you still feel the same way, then I won't stop you."

Trent gave a nod, "Deal." He shook Isaac's hand when it was offered to him.

Isaac took a deep breath to relief himself of his anxiety, "Come on, we should make some reports at the office as well."

Standing up, Trent put on his coat, "I notice you didn't say anything about my date with Samara."

Isaac chuckled, "I think we will deal with one problem at a time."

---***---
Corliss ran down the halls looking for the man, she knew would have the assistance she would need. Whenever another kine appeared in view, she would walk calmly, and try not to draw any attention to herself.

Marcellus was leaving his quarters when she turned the corner, and before he could shut his door she shoved him back inside. He was a little appalled by her behavior, but said nothing knowing that it had to be of the utmost importance.

"Marcellus, I have a problem." Her bottom lip quivered as she spoke.

"Who beat you?" He asked, as he ran his finger over the dry blood on her chin.

"Adriel." She responded before thinking her answer through.

He grabbed her upper arms, "Why?" Anger filled his eyes.

"Because, I hid information from him. Now, listen to me, I think I may have turned a human without permission."

Marcellus raised an eyebrow, "You did what?"

"I swear it was all an accident. Adriel told me to begin a romantic relationship with him, and so I did. Then when we were having sex, I bit him, but no blood transfer." She began to sniffle, and Marcellus grabbed a tissue from his night stand.

It was then that Corliss realized that she had never been in his room before. It was decorated in dark browns, greens, and other earth tones. It was not the room that she expected him to have.

Taking the tissue from him, she wiped her eyes and then the blood from her mouth. "Then after Adriel beat me, he kissed me."

"Adriel kissed you or the human?"

"The human, and I think I got blood in his mouth but I don't know. I am pretty sure of it, otherwise I wouldn't be here."

Marcellus took a seat at the end of his bed. Corliss knew better then to touch anything in his room, because if Adriel ever visited his room, he might smell her. "And you are certain that the bite and blood occurred within a timely manner?"

Corliss nodded.

"Then we must kill him immediately, Corliss."

"No! Please, Marcellus, there has to be another way. I… I don't want him to die because of my errors."

Marcellus eyes held his skepticism, as he pulled his sweater's sleeves up, revealing his well muscled arm. "We have time. As you know most humans take anywhere from two weeks to two months to completely alter. That's more then enough time for us to remove Adriel from power, and put me in place."

"And when that happens?"

"Since you obviously care for this human; for reasons I would rather leave a mystery, I will claim that he was turned under my authority. However, he will not be your pet, and I will send him to another Macrea clan."

Corliss saw the jealousy anger forming within his eyes. "As long as you don't kill him."

"Does he know?"

She shook her head, "No, I didn't…"

Marcellus' loud sigh cut off her words, "Good, don't tell him. It will be better that way until Adriel is no longer the high elder."

Corliss nodded her head and turned to exit the room, before she touched the doorknob she turned back to him. "I never told you who it was."

"I know, Adriel discussed it with us. This was actually one of the problems that I foresaw and warned him about. Do you see now why he must be removed?"

She nodded again, "I know him better then anyone else. I needed no proof."

With a small weight removed from her heart, she again turned to leave his room. Before she was able to, she felt Marcellus' hands being gently placed on her upper arms. He pulled her to him; her back pressed against his chest, and he wrapped them gently around her.

"I need you to be honest with me in order for this to work, Corliss. So, now is the time if you are hiding anything from me." He said before kissing her neck.

She swallowed, "I know who killed Rylan."

His grin could be felt on the soft flesh of her neck. "And how do you know?"

"I was there when he was murdered."

Marcellus began to chuckle and took a step back. "Excellent." He mumbled, before taking a seat at the edge of his bed, and crossing his legs. "Please, tell me everything from the beginning."

Corliss came to stand in front of him, "Well, it all started about four months ago…"