Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 9: A Dead Mouse

The dorm stood at attention that morning, Santh was uncharacteristically silent but would occasionally glance over at Lenore who seemed oblivious to him. Though, Remus and Ophelia continued to offer each other knowing looks and she would chuckle to herself as Remus would simply smirk. This did not go unnoticed by Santh, who would throw daggers with his eyes at his male friend.

The servants appeared to offer their morning basin of water, Lenore and Ophelia had already bathed that morning, but Ophelia felt strange in not joining the men so she would wash her face and hands.

Jolon's eyes immediately fell to the girl that he knew as Saena. The sweet looking blonde placed his basin in front of him, and smiled gently as she gave the conventional bow. She turned back to the pathway and looked over her shoulder at him briefly, before disappearing completely into the dead trees and bushes.

Leaning over to wash himself, he noticed a small scroll laying next to the basin. He leaned over to grab it but it was too late, Remus had already seen the scroll and snatched it up.

"What do we have here? A love note from a sweet faced servant girl? How forbidden of you." Remus teased and had yanked the scroll away from Jolon's eager hands. He began to unroll it in preparation to read it out loud to the group.

"Remus, that is none of your business. I demand it back." Jolon barked as he tried to snatch the scroll away from him.

"Anton, if you would detain him, please." Remus looked at the scroll and Anton grabbed his friends arms.

Santh and Routine smirked at the display, and Ophelia even joined in. "You have never told us of her, Jolon."

"Jolon Marsh of the Carpenter's Guild," Remus began, "it was a true pleasure to meet you the other day. I realized that I had not given you proper thanks for your assistance, and I would..." The scroll was snatched away from Remus.

Lenore frowned as she held the scroll and looked toward Anton, "Let him go." When Anton did so, she handed the scroll back to Jolon. "We are all allowed our secrets." Her furious eyes turned to Remus, "You of all people should appreciate that."

"We were merely teasing him, Lenore." Remus defended himself. "This is a part of friendship that is all, especially among men."

Lenore turned her attention to Santh. "You should be ashamed of yourself. After constantly defending those who are bullied, you would allow your own dorm mate to be simply because it is done by your friend." She shook her head and jumped off the platform then headed down the pathway.

Even Jolon was surprised at her reaction to their good natured ribbing.

"I apologize, Jolon, I meant no..." Remus began but Jolon cut him off.

"No apology needed, Remus." He looked back down to the scroll, and read it out loud for the rest of the group to hear. He did this to prove that he wasn't hiding anything nor was he upset with what had occurred. "I would very much like to invite you to my home on your rest day. Please pay a visit." She then left directions to where she lived in the hamlet.

"Jolon has a forbidden love." Ophelia teased before walking down the stairs.

The others began to follow her so they wouldn't be late for breakfast.

"Who is this girl?" Remus asked.

He shrugged, "You heard the Princess, we all have secrets." He smiled.

Routine frowned while every one else laughed. "Lenore thought you were being terrorized and offered you assistance. There is no reason to make light of her reaction."

Ophelia then spoke, "I think she may still be sensitive over what I did."

"That is a logical explanation." Routine looked toward Santh, "We speak of Lenore and you add nothing to the discussion?"

Santh pressed his lips together, "I grow tired of this topic." With that he began to jog toward the dining hall so he could leave their presence, unfortunately the Princess was there waiting. He had to live with an awkward silence between them, though Lenore seemed perfectly fine.

---***---

Lenore was heading back to the dorm after a long day of classes, when she noticed the man walking in the crowd slightly ahead of her. She hurried up her speed, and tapped him on the shoulder. When Routine looked at her, she quickly grabbed his arm and placed her cheek on his shoulder as they walked back to their rooms.

"I had a very long day. I thought it would never end." She told him.

"The day was just as extensive as any other. Therefore, I assume that there is an emotional justification for your want for the day to end." He felt her nod her head on his shoulder before she sighed.

"I am finding myself drained by the day's events and the duties I run at night." She sighed once more.

As they walked down the pathway, Routine stopped and turned to look at her. "I believe when I counseled you on this matter when you first began to consider it, I explained that fatigue would be inevitable. Student by day and petty criminal by night, exactly how much did you convince yourself that you could endure living as two separate people? You must convey to your father that your brother is hoarding your allowance for himself."

"Must I?" She began to walk forward and he followed beside her. "In truth, he is not spending it. Simply keeping it until I promise to return to his side and the royal dorms."

When the dorm came into sight, Ophelia's operation was in full swing. Anton and Jolon were taking the orders, and Ophelia filled them while Remus worked in the back to keep track of inventory.

Routine and Lenore walked right passed the large group and entered into his room. When he laid down on the bed, she followed suite beside him. Both on their backs, they looked up at the bottom of the top bunk.

"Have you seen the cat lately?" Lenore questioned.

Routine put his arms behind his head. "The pitiful creature left a gift for Anton on his bunk the other night, but no I have not personally witnessed his comings or goings."

"A dead mouse?"

"Indeed. Anton was not impressed, especially since the corpse was left on his pillow whilst he slept."

Lenore giggled and laid her head against his chest. "I miss sharing a room with you, Byron."

"The adjustment period feels extended for me as well."

The door slide open, and Santh stepped inside. He seemed slightly off put with the positions he found Lenore and Routine in.

"Is it not time to study, Routine?' Santh questioned. Part of him had wanted to leave the room, but he felt that would give away something, plus something wicked inside of him wanted to interrupted their time together.

"His name is Byron." Lenore sat up and patted her friend's leg. "I'll get my books as well, we can study together just like old times."

Routine gave a nod and watched as she left the room.

Santh sat down on the bed across the room. "Your relationship with the Princess seems to be more than mere friendship."

He cocked his head to the side. "As I am well aware of your carnal feelings for her, I will not take that accusation to be anything more than a flickering moment of jealousy. As for the accusation itself, I choose not to comment for fear that I might offend myself by having to justify my personal friendship."

"I have no such feelings for Lenore." Santh sneered.

Routine raised an eyebrow briefly. "If that is indeed true, then I apologize for my assumption."

The door slide back open and Lenore grabbed a desk before sitting on the ground. It was difficult to study with the amount of noise the customers outside were making, but the three of them seemed to manage without too much of a struggle.

---***---

Mail was delivered to the dorms that evening, it was always accumulated and delivered once a week. Jolon was most excited as his family had only written to him once since he arrived, while Anton's seemed to write him weekly. Ophelia received all of her new goods from her mother, which made Remus positively giddy; enough so that he put aside the several letters he had received from home. Routine received a letter from his parents as well. Even Lenore received a letter from the king this particular week, it was the first time he had written her this year.

Everyone was sitting in the two front rooms and on the floor with a writing desk, except for Remus and Ophelia who were organizing the stock. The dorm was incredibly quiet as everyone read their letters and planned their responses. All except Santh who had not received any mail at all. Of course, no one ever wrote him. In the years he had lived here, he never had and Lenore was the only one that on most weeks he shared the lack of contact from family with. Though, while others smirked and sighed at the letters from home, Lenore always seemed to read them like they were orders and not a heartfelt letter. She would immediately burn it once she was finished reading it.

He took some pleasure in knowing that Lenore might be in a similar situation as him. Even though he despised her at times, it was nice to have a kindred soul who also seemed to be without family. However, she did have family and it did seem her father cared for her, but during the times when the king was not present, Santh could pretend they had similar situations.

"My mother sent this for you." Ophelia held out a box with a letter attached.

Santh, who was sitting on his bed, seemed surprised by the offer, but accepted it. The young girl immediately walked away, allowing him to open the letter. The handwriting in the letter was incredibly intricate that at times it proved difficult to read.

Dear Santh,

I do hope that is the proper way in which to address you, if not please inform my daughter so that I can correctly address you in the future. Princess Lenore Cromwell and my daughter, Ophelia, informed me that you enjoy the bars of soap that I make. So, I have sent along a few extra bars that will have a more appealing scent. I do hope that they are too your liking.

My best wishes,

Odelia Romanus

Santh looked up from the letter and watched as Ophelia handed the Princess a box with another letter attached. He had only used the soap with Lenore a little less than a week ago, and wondered how they could have sent her a letter and received it so quickly in the next shipment.

Standing up, he walked over to Lenore when Ophelia left her to her delivery. He sat down on the bed that she was occupying across the hall. "How long have you been communicating with Ophelia's mother?"

Lenore looked up from her own letter and grinned. "She sent me a letter first, and it was very sweet and thoughtful. I have never had someone concern themselves with me the way she has." She opened the wooden box to find more soap, some candies, and a handmade scarf for the coming winter.

"How is it that she received your letters so quickly, enough so that I received soap this shipment?"

She looked up from her items, "What a strange question to ask." Lenore shrugged, "When the Fox is involved, I would assume Ophelia's letters and shipments are sent by a personal carrier. Also, Odelia only lives a twelve hour ride from the university." Suddenly Lenore sighed and rolled her eyes. "I do not believe that I am actually retaining some of the constant chatter of that girl. I know more about her than she does me."

Santh grinned before noticing that Routine, who was sitting on the floor had witnessed the entire conversation between them. He cleared his throat, "Please do not bother yourself in the future when it comes to my person. Especially writing letters so that I will receive ghastly smelling soaps." He stood up. "In fact, I would prefer to be left out of all communications of your life."

"If I wish to speak of you, I will do so. You can not forbid me from speaking about what I chose." Lenore spoke with straightforwardness.

Santh was about to retort, when Ophelia popped up beside him with a smile. "Did you smell them? Are they too your liking? When she sells them at the market they are the favorite among men there. If you do not like them, she has others."

He looked down at the girl who was practically begging for his approval. "They are fine, thank you."

She clapped her hands together and looked down at Lenore. "Santh thanked me, Lenore. Did you hear that?"

"I in fact did." A bitter part of the Princess wanted to announce that moments before Santh had insulted the soap, but she didn't wish to harm her friend's feelings.

---***---

Breakfast began after the words of wisdom that morning. Ophelia seemed to be in high spirits as the group sat around their table and enjoyed their cream and fruits.

"The tournament prize has been announced." Lenore told everyone, "Have you heard?"

They all shook their heads.

"Of course not, because only the Royal Dorms have been told. Authin told me about it yesterday." She explained with a grin. "The lower dorms that win will be brought their meals to their dorms until the next tournament."

"Oh, that will be amazing!" Ophelia bounced on her pillow.

"What of the Royal Dorms? They are already served meals in their dorm?" Anton questioned.

"The Royal Dorms normally get a different prize." Santh took a bite of his fruit before continuing. "Usually, it's a lavish gift."

"Tournaments of the past have included a more comprehensive prize that encompassed all students. For instance, the reward was the ability to skip classes or meals." Routine added.

"Though who would ever want to skip classes, am I correct, Bryon?" Lenore asked with a slight smirk on her face.

"I suspect you are mocking me, but I find the statement to be quite accurate."

The group chuckled, even Santh offered a slight smile.

"It would be nice to not have to rush across campus every morning, and instead eat comfortably in our own rooms." Anton waited for the groups' laughter to die down before speaking.

"I could even craft a table for us." Jolon informed them. "Of course, I would need a weather hardy wood."

Remus looked pleased with that offer. "I can most certainly locate some of that, but you must win and then I will offer it as my gift."

"Could you imagine if the entire Mondue or Souchan dorms won? How task heavy it would be to bring them all that food?" Ophelia asked with worry upon her face.

Lenore bumped her with her shoulder, "You needn't worry about the servants, they will only be bringing our meager group of seven our meals."

"Here, here!" Anton held up his glass of water.

The others joined in and they clanked the metal cups together. As they returned to their meal, a man walked up to their table.

Lenore looked up at him and grinned, "Armand, what a pleasure to see you."

"It is, of course, all mine, Princess. I wish I could say I came for simply the pleasure of seeing you, unfortunately this is not a visit of the personal nature. Your brother has requested you visit him after classes today." Armand stood with his hands behind his back. "Shall I inform him that you will arrive without delay?"

The group all held back a sigh and prepared themselves to be excused from the dining hall.

"Of course, please inform him that I do have an extra class on this day, and therefore my schedule runs longer than his own."

The dorm mates all looked around at each other, shocked that she had agreed to see her brother.

"Of course." Armand pulled something out of his pocket and laid it on the table. "The Prince asked me to give this to you. His mother sent it along and wished for you to take possession of it."

Lenore watched as he walked away and then looked down at the necklace on the table. Holding it up, she examined the golden gift. The charm was that of the family crest, two tigers engaged in combat. Her step mother never sent along gifts for her, and she was curious as to what purpose this would serve.

"How pretty!" Ophelia explained.

Still holding the necklace, she stood up and looked down at everyone. "Please excuse my early departure. It was truly a pleasure." She told them before heading out to catch up with Armand.

"She just talked to us like she was a Princess in Royal court." Anton looked around at them.

"I don't like it." Ophelia stuck out her tongue slightly. "It's like a different person all together."

The group agreed with a nod and return to their meals, even though they were all curious as to what had caused her to leave so quickly. No one asked the other, however. Everyone seemed more bothered by the way she had spoken to them before she left.

Santh was overly so. Something did not sit well with him, as she had never spoken to him in that manner before. Ophelia was right, it was as if they were watching a completely different person. A person who was hiding who they truly were and was not content with their life in the least.

---***---

"Armand!" Lenore shouted as she ran down the empty pathway that were surrounded by blooming flowers and green bushes.

The Prince's adviser stopped and turned to face her. He didn't seem surprised that she had tracked him down in the least, after all it was Lenore and Lesatan that he was dealing with. "Yes, Princess?"

She held up the necklace, "What is this?"

"I believe it is a necklace with your family crest as the charm." He knew what she really was asking but he wasn't about to make the conversation easy on her.

Lenore looked unamused as she dropped her hand holding up the necklace and cocked her head to the side. "Aletta has never sent me a gift in all my life, so what devious plan does she have in store for me?"

"You know very well that even if I was aware of such a scheme against you that I would never betray my Prince and tell you." He folded his arms across his chest.

She frowned deeply, "I carry your secret and never threaten you with it, but you can not even give me a hint if they are plotting something against me, Armand?"

"Was that a threat just then?"

Lenore rolled her eyes, "Armand! Stop being so difficult!"

"I appreciate your discretion and I am well aware that you have never attempted to use it against me, but that does not mean that I must owe you the rest of my life, Lenore." He put his arms behind his back and stood with his perfect posture.

"I am not asking you to owe me, I am asking you to give me some signal if I am in any trouble by accepting this gift." When he did not answer, Lenore stepped forward and grabbed his hand from behind his back. She placed the necklace in his hand. "Tell Aletta and Lesatan that if they wish to give me a gift then they may do so in person in front of my father. I will not be found in possession of this item and be called a thief." She closed his hand.

"If I was your adviser, I believe I would want you to do the same." He put the necklace into a pouch that was attached to his belt. "That was not me giving a hint into any scheme. The way the two of you behave I would be paranoid of any kind gesture."

She nodded her head, "Well then, I will be off."

"Lenore," He watched her turn around to face him. "when will this end? Must you fight constantly against your brother?"

"I am not fighting against him, I am fighting for him, Armand. Of all the people, I would expect you would understand that the most."

Taking a deep breath, he thought for a moment. "I fail to see what you are attempting to achieve. This looks more like you are rebelling against your old life, then offering any service toward your brother."

"Old life?" Lenore snorted. "Must everyone be reminded what my old life entailed? Or do you truly not remember the torture of which I was put through, while you stood idly by?"

"I remember."

She slowly shook her head, "Then perhaps you would like to amend your statement."

Walking forward, Armand placed his hand on her shoulder. "I can convince him not to marry you to Krius, but you must pick a suitor that your brother approves of."

"Oh, we have changed the subject, have we? Very well, would he approve of you?"

He swallowed, "Don't, Lenore."

"You'll have to pick a wife eventually as well, Armand. At least, I know your secret or would you rather you marry an ignorant woman and have her discover it for herself?"

"There is nothing to discover. I have long ago put that in my past, and have moved forward. Perhaps, you should do the same." With that he dropped his hand from her shoulder and began to walk back to the dorms.

Lenore watched him disappear through the gates, and she folded her arms across her chest. Her mind went back to that necklace and she tried to think of what reason the queen would send her a gift. There had to be an ulterior motive behind this random act of kindness. She would have to be careful of herself in the future, who knew what her brother and his mother had planned. Once more, she could not relax and would need to constantly look over her shoulder.

---***---

Lesatan sat at his desk as he finished his breakfast, Enoch and Krius ate their own meals in the chair in front of the fireplace. The meal was relatively silent as Lesatan waited for Armand to return with news of his sister's reaction. He was nervous and his advisers could see that well enough, as he tapped his desk with his finger tips and over chewed every mouthful of fruit.

When Armand walked through the door, Lesatan immediately sat up straight and looked to him for the response he was agonizing over.

Pulling the necklace from his pouch, Armand placed it upon the desk. "All you have created in her is paranoia as I predicted."

"What did she say?" Lesatan reached across the desk and picked up the necklace. He dangled it in front of his face, as he wanted to seem relaxed in front of his least trusted adviser.

"She said that if you and the queen wish to bequeath any gift upon her that it must be done in person and in front of the king." Armand sat down in one of the soft red chairs in front of the desk.

The Prince pressed his lips together, "I suppose this will be harder than I thought."

"Of course, it will be. You can't expect her to suddenly believe you have good intentions after everything that she has gone through, especially from your mother." Armand picked up his plate of fruits from the table and set it on his lap before he began to eat them.

Krius stood from his chair and walked over to the desk to take a seat next to Armand. "I fail to see how this will offer you any results. You have tried in the passed to offer her gifts and she wasn't fool enough to fall for it then."

"Yes, but that was before she reached out to me for help. She assisted me and in the eyes of the students now, I have become a force that can indeed move a mountain." He popped a grape in his mouth. "My father always said that Lenore could see minor impurities in the world, and turn them into great opportunities with the right planning. She proved that to me with the girls' dorm, and I now understand why my father wants me so desperately to sway her to our side."

"What of Authin Nele?" Krius asked with a slight hint of jealousy in his voice. "Will you call off his advances?"

Lesatan gave a slight shake to his head, "He is reporting progress. She is starting to befriend him, and therefore he is just another way to pursue her loyalty."

"Speaking of which, he seems to be moving very slowly with her. Most girls are under his spell within a week." Armand continued to eat his meal and barely looked up when he spoke.

"My sister is a wild rose. They look harmless enough, but if you grab the stem too firmly you will bleed. You must pluck her very carefully."

"Authin said that, didn't he?" Armand chuckled.

Lesatan didn't bother to answer him, "Enoch, send word to my mother of this development, and see what she believes the next step should be."

The man sitting in front of the fireplace didn't move or even acknowledge his Prince.

"Enoch!"

Krius looked around his high back chair and then back to the Prince. "He is staring into the fire again."

"His mind has been sealed shut to the outside world." Armand shook his head with a grin, but flinched when a book flew over his head.

The book landed squarely on Enoch's head, and he immediately jumped up and rubbed the top of his head. He looked at the offending book and then around the room to discover who threw it.

"Enoch, you dull-witted simpleton! How many times must you be told not to stare into the fire?" Lesatan barked. "I swear it must be melting your brain!"

---***---

Ophelia hopped along side her friend, the Princess as they walked to the dorms after a long hour of etiquette class. The girls from the girls' dorm all seemed to live in constant fear of the house mother showing up at their classes to check if they are acting properly. It always made Ophelia chuckle whenever the door slide open and every girl in the room immediately sat up straight and ended their gossiping.

Lenore didn't even seem to bother to care about the trepidation she had managed to strike into every girl's heart. It did make the younger girl feel low bred that she would take joy in the other girls' suffering, while the Princess before her was far too decorous to even take notice. Though, she knew Santh would say that it wasn't that Lenore was dignified in any way but that she simply didn't care about others. Ophelia didn't believe that in the least, even when Lenore was noticeable exhausted and did not want to be bothered by Ophelia's gossip she was too well mannered to simply tell her to silence herself.

"I wonder who might ask me to the ball." She wondered out loud as they passed through the crowds of other students who were either finding a place to study or play, or returning to their own dorms. "Would it be seen in poor light if I asked someone?"

Lenore didn't even bother to look at her when she answered. "By some."

"Do you think I would be looked down upon for taking Jolon or Anton?" She accidentally bumped into someone and stopped to help them pick up the scrolls they dropped. Lenore walked forward, leaving Ophelia with the stranger. "I apologize." She gave a quick bow before running to catch up with Lenore.

As she soon as she caught up with the Princess, Lenore returned to the conversation as if nothing had happened. "They already look down on you, so what is the point in fretting over that?"

"You aren't going with Santh, are you?"

"If I were to go, it would not be seen fitting if he were my escort. More than likely, I would ask Byron or perhaps someone from the Royal Dorms." Lenore walked with her back straight and her eyes forward at all times.

Ophelia had noticed the strange behavior and had wanted to ask, but decided that she probably wouldn't inform her anyway. The dorm mates enjoyed gossiping about their fair Princess, but the truth was none of them knew anything about her. Of course, Ophelia realized that she didn't truly know any of them at all. Only she had all her secrets laid out before the group, and the only ones more mysterious than the Princess were Jolon and Anton. They kept their personal lives outside the school extremely private.

She chuckled, "Routine would be a very uneventful date."

"Byron is the heir to the entire Souchan clan. Since he was born he has been steeped in all sorts of gentlemanly behaviors. Granted he does not enjoy them as he has no interest in women, but he can preform them with accuracy."

Ophelia pressed her lips together. She was beginning to feel bitter about the way Lenore was treating her. "He doesn't have an interest in women? Then is it men?"

Lenore stopped as they approached the pathway to the dorm and turned to her. "Byron has no interest in any gender. His grand romance will always be the pursuit of knowledge."

"Lenore?" She asked as the Princess was about to walk away.

"Hmm?"

"Why are you acting so strangely?" She watched Lenore turn back to face her. "You've been talking down to me and rushing around campus. It started happening when that adviser dropped off that necklace this morning. Is something wrong?"

"I am not speaking down to you, I..." Lenore licked her lips as she thought for a moment and then motioned with her head for the younger girl to follow. They walked down the path and Lenore sat down on the stairs of the dorm when they arrived. She patted the spot next to her to get Ophelia to take a seat as well.

"I believe my brother is plotting something." She whispered. "Suddenly, he gives me a gift for no apparent reason. He may be attempting to have me removed from the school and branded a thief."

Ophelia placed her hand over her mouth. "Oh, no."

"I am rushing around in hopes to make it harder for someone to follow me, and trying not to say anything that could be used against me." She continued to whisper then pressed her finger to her lips. "Don't tell the others."

Ophelia watched as the Princess stood up and walked into her room. A small smirk appeared on her lips when she realized that Lenore had just confided in her, though she suspected it might not be the truth. However under normal circumstances, Lenore would have simply told her that it was none of her business, not bothered to create a lie.

She sucked on her bottom lip for a moment as she thought. Lenore was however not known for being a liar.

---***---

Santh laid on his bed as Remus studied on the floor with his desk. Anton and Jolon had convinced Routine to take time from his own studies to tutor them, so they had both moved across the hall. The sounds of the girls giggling could be heard though it was mostly Ophelia. Laying on his bed, Santh sighed out loud as the silence slowly overcame him.

Looking up from his books, Remus raised an eyebrow. "It has been some time since we had the room to ourselves."

"Indeed." He put his arms under his head as he stared up at the cracked ceiling. He wondered how long it would be before rain would find its way through the cracks and onto his sleeping person.

"Anything you would like to discuss? Lenore, perhaps?"

"No." He closed his eyes briefly before turning on his side. "Why does she continuously kiss me? Does she have feelings for me and she is trying to mask them under the guise of silencing me? How many times must I reject her before she understands I have no interest in her."

"Thinking quite highly of yourself." Remus smirked. "May I remind you that in the past she tickled you, kicked you, among other tactics to get you to leave her be. When you found a way to counterattack, she had no choice but to stop and return to just baring with you."

"You believe this is nothing more than another attempt to have me leave her be?"

"I do." Remus put his quill pin in the ink, and leaned back on his arms. "You could always counterattack by actually leaving her be."

Santh frowned and rolled back over onto his back.

"You are truly hopeless." Remus mumbled before he returned to his homework.

"Hopeless?" Santh turned his head to see his friend.

"Hopeless. Stubborn. And whatever other words mean you are ignorant of your own feelings." He continued to write on the scroll laid across his desk.

Sitting up before staring down at his friend, Santh's face didn't hide his annoyance. "I have no interest in her. I grow weary of everyone telling me that I do."

"Fine. Then I challenge you. No talking about her to anyone and no talking to her unless it pertains to the tournament. Let's see if you can accomplish this starting now and until the end of the tournament. Therefore three weeks?"

"And if I succeed?"

Remus thought for a moment as his eyes trailed upward. "I will ensure that no one believes you have any feelings for her, and I'll owe you one favor. If you lose, then you will have to admit to both myself and yourself that they exist and of course, I will be owed a favor."

Santh swallowed, "Deal."

"Excellent, now have you heard that Ophelia is simply dying to go to the ball?" Remus watched his friend lay back down. "I believe she is convincing Lenore to go along with her. I overheard them discussing going into town to buy cloth for Lenore's dress. Poor Ophelia has no escort yet, however. You should ask her to be your partner for the evening. After all, if you have a partner when we go to the dancing class this coming week, you'll be paired with her."

"You ask her." Santh grumbled.

"I just might." Remus grinned at the torture he was causing his friend, he knew he wanted to ask who was taking Lenore. "Lenore will most likely go with that dashing young blonde from the royal dorms... Authin Nele, I believe. I have seen them together quite often. I believe a romance is begin to bud."

"You are trying to goad me, enough." He growled as he stood up from the bed and left the room.

Remus chuckled, "I'll have to begin deciding which favor I will want him to fulfill."

---***---

Ophelia sat on the creaky old bed next to Lenore and filed the Princess' nails with a metal file. The smells of mead and baked goods filled the room as the storage room across the hall leaked the temptations' smells. Lenore used her other hand to turn the pages of one of her school texts as she read it out loud for them both.

"Jore Agnon brought forth the fifth army to flank the Menduta's..."

"Jore Agnon is your great grandfather, isn't he?" Ophelia questioned as she continued to carefully shape her friend's nails.

Lenore thought for a moment, "Nearly five or even six generations, yes."

"Must be strange to read about ancient family members in history books, and even have to study them to answer questions on a test." She blew on the nails and then used her thumb to wipe the rest of the filed away nail away.

"I have no emotional connection to them, and therefore I do not feel 'strange.' Of course, unless we are discussing my father, but the family history for the last three generations has been told to me so often that I need not study it." She looked down at the hand Ophelia was hovering over.

"I suppose so."

"However, it is interesting to note that someday there will come a time when my ancestors are reading about me, and studying my life. I do so hope that history lesson does not end with, 'and then King Lesatan sentenced her to beheading for her treason. Historians still debate whether she was truly guilty or not.' Though I suppose I won't have to be there to be embarrassed by the ending." Lenore looked down at the book and tried to find her place.

Ophelia lowered Lenore's hand to her lap and looked up at her. "Could be worse. You could actually be guilty of it."

The Princess turned her head to look into the other girl's eyes. "Oh, yes, I had forgotten about your father. I meant no harm."

She slowly shook her head and then smiled. "Actually, that makes me feel better. That it means so little to you that you literately forgot that my father betrayed yours."

Lenore watched the girl look back down at her nails in shame, then begin to file them again. She pulled her hand away. "What happened? Why did he betray my father?"

Ophelia looked up and sighed. "I don't know why. He never did explain to us even when we were saying goodbye right before the execution. I remember my mom begging him to explain why she had to suffer because of him, and he told her that it didn't matter anymore." She scooted back on the bed and laid her back against the wall as she played with the nail file. "I remember your father, I was only eight years old, but he came to our home after the execution. My mother and I were under constant guard in our own home. The king brought me a doll and some candy that tasted like maple. He was very nice to me and my mother that day. I left the room, and when he left my mother started packing our things. She said that if she was going to be able to afford to send me to four years of university, we couldn't afford to live here. Little did I know, the king had placed a regent in charge of our lands."

"Where did you two go?"

Ophelia smiled bitterly, "Your father allowed my mother to keep my family cottage. It was built by my great grandfather before he had any title. It isn't very big but it looks like a cottage out of some fairy tale."

"Why did your mother move you from the home?" Lenore scooted back as well and leaned against the wall as well.

"The regent offered to marry my mother so she could stay in the home, but she refused. She knew it was just an attempt on his part to ensure his position as Baron of the lands. The king told her that if she didn't marry him, then I would have to go to university for four years to receive my lands back and clear my family name." She began to poke herself in the hand with the nail file.

"Your father married into the position, did he not?"

She nodded. "It was my mother's lands before she married him. I, often, ask her if she regrets marrying him and she always tells me that she would regret not having me more."

The two fell silent for a moment as they thought over their conversation.

"You could run really fast then slip and fall. Perhaps land in something embarrassing before dying, like dog poo or manure."

"Excuse me?" Lenore looked at the girl quite shocked.

"I am trying to think of a way you could die that would be more embarrassing then being executed by your brother." She sat up straight with a smile and pulled her legs under her body.

"I could choke on something pathetic like a coin or a piece of fat."

"Do you suck on coins often?"

Lenore chuckled. "No."

"You could bump your head and never wake up again."

"I could stand on a public platform, giving a speech, slip off the platform and crash below, breaking my neck."

"Oh," She clasped her hands together in excitement. "you could be sleeping with someone unwholesome and die on top of him. He would run to get help, and your last moments are with a man you never wanted the world to know of."

"Ophelia!" Lenore laughed, "Oh, straining so hard while relieving myself that a blood vessel in my head explodes!"

"Oh my, that is gross, and embarrassing."

---***---

"She refused? The little brat." Standing in Lesatan's study, a woman with curled, blonde locks that stopped just above her bottom, smacked her riding gloves into her hands. She wore a red dress with white trims, and a braided crown of her own hair around her head. Every one swore that the queen's beauty only grew greater with age.

Lesatan sat on the edge of his desk, "We have never tried to be kind to her, mother. Of course, she would think it was some sort of ploy."

"Don't make excuses for her, Lesatan, and stand up straight." She paced the room for several moments, as she thought. Lesatan did as he was told.

Armand, Krius, and Enoch stood near the fireplace with their arms behind their backs. The black stain on the bear skin rug made Armand nervous as he knew Queen Aletta would be quite upset if she saw her gift ruined.

Nothing but the sound of the queen's gloves slapped against her hand made a noise. She stopped and looked toward her son, she hadn't said two words to the advisers. "Tell me again, about the girls' dorm."

"She came to me one afternoon in front of all the Royal Dorm members during lunch. We entered the study and discussed how the girls' dorm was akin to a brothel. She gave me several ideas on how I should proceed, as I told you before. I implemented them, and I find myself being praised genuinely by students and the gossip has changed to a rather positive stance." Lesatan looked over at his advisers to ensure he had spoken correctly, they all gave a brief nod. "Father is right, she seems capable of concocting plans and even when some harm is done the people love you all the more for it."

"She took no credit?" The queen looked flabbergasted.

He slowly shook his head, "None, what so ever. She didn't even bother to show at the house cleansing. No one knows that she had anything to do with it."

Aletta motioned for one of the boys to bring a chair over to her in the middle of the room. Enoch grabbed one of the red stuffed chairs by the fire, and placed it behind her. Sitting down, she bit her bottom lip. "What good does this do her? What is she planning?"

"Perhaps, she has a plan to make the entire girls' dorm plot backfire on the Prince, your highness." Armand suggested.

The queen looked his way, "Yes, but how? If we could discover that, we might have means to have her ejected from the school. We could simply marry her off to one of the lower guilds, and permanently remove her from our plans."

Lesatan didn't look pleased with that idea. "Mother, since that day she has done as promised. She does not humiliate me in front of the subjects any longer, and whenever I have summoned her she has come without incident."

Queen Aletta sighed audibly, "Why do you always insist on defending her, Lesatan? Do you not see the reality of our position? She may be the bastard child, but she is your father's favorite."

"I do not see father having me killed to place her on the throne nor do I see her doing so either. She doesn't seem interested in being the one who gains honor or from..."

Slamming her hand on the arm of the chair, she stood up. "You ignorant brat! History is riddled with loving siblings killing each other for power. Siblings, who loved each other since birth. Do you believe that a couple years of friendship with her makes her uninterested in power and wealth? Need I remind you of the torture you have put her through? She has plenty of reasons to plot against you, if power and wealth were not enough." She turned to Enoch, "Assemble my men, I ride for Arthes tonight."

Enoch hurried out of the room as if he wanted to get as far from the queen as possible, the other advisers felt the same however.

Walking over to her son, she put her gloves on before holding his chin. "My son, do not be fooled by a pretty face or a smile. They are always the first ones to put a blade in your back." She slowly kissed his cheek, before stepping back and offering out her hand.

Lesatan kissed her ring, followed by Armand and Krius.

"You need to remember that she is not truly your sister. She is a competitor that knows you are the only being between her and the throne of Ronea." With that she exited the room and slammed the door behind her.

"The queen forgets her own pretty face." Krius grumbled.

Lesatan smirked, "Yes, but she does make perfect sense, doesn't she?"

"Lenore has showed no signs of interest in the crown, it would be preemptive to attack her now only to discover she was innocent." Armand moved the chair from the center of the room back to in front of the fireplace.

"Yet, I would look the fool if my mother is correct."

Krius stepped in front of him. "Let us see if we may win her over as planned."

"Yes, besides Authin is still winning her over day by day." Armand added.

Lesatan nodded. "Yes, for now."