Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CMS:BT) Chapter 18

Trent entered his apartment, a Styrofoam cup in hand. Grabbing the cordless phone, he placed them both on his coffee table and took a seat on the couch; his eyes staring down upon it. No wonder he hadn't been able to find anything worth eating, he was looking at the wrong species menu. He shook his head as this was no time to joke around. No, this was the time to make a decision. He either had to turn himself into the Upper Circle, where they would lock him up and probably use him for research. Or he could spend the rest of his life as a kine, but with Corliss.

He rubbed his brow with the back of his hand, before running his finger through his hair. This was all his fault, he may have blamed Corliss for it, but he knew where the blame lay. He had allowed himself to play a dangerous game. One that he had been told a thousand times during his training not to engage in. It was too late now, too late for regrets, and much too late to stay human.

Reaching for the Styrofoam container, he opened the lid to reveal the pig's blood within. Truth be told, he had known for a while now that he was becoming a kine. He saw it whenever Isaac or the dogs looked at him, and he could feel it within his own heart. It was a burn that he deserved for playing with such a hot flame.

Looking at the dark red liquid, he asked himself what he wanted. There had to be worse things out there then spending a thousand years with Corliss. The alternative was in fact worse. Who wanted to be an imprisoned test subject, like so many other rogue kine that he had met. Of course, Corliss did say that Marcellus would claim him. He pressed his lips together, what made him think that he would be with Corliss if Marcellus did that? Wouldn't he be property of that particular elder? No, Corliss had said… nothing of the sort. She just begged him not to leave or kill himself.

He let out of a long, deep sigh. The phone and the blood, they were his options. He was a logical man and liked to see his choices in a physical form. Tonight he had a choice to make, he was going to call the Upper Circle and report himself or he was going to drink that blood, and go back to Corliss. It was an option he kept repeating over and over in his head, but not really wanting to make that choice.

Loyalty versus love; a battle that had been fought many times before by many different people. Corliss or his father? Either way, he was going to become a kine, unless he killed himself now. He didn't want to die, he may have said it was a better option to Corliss, but he didn't mean it. Looking out his window over the city that he had grown up in he swallowed. His eyes turned to his choices on the coffee cup.

"Kine, either way." He said out loud to himself, "Do you want to be a free one or a caged rat?"

Leaning over, he picked up the Styrofoam cup and dipped his index finger into the liquid. He looked at the blood dripped from his finger back into the container. Slowly, he brought the finger to his mouth before sucking it clean.

"That's not too bad." He set it back down on the table.

He didn't like it and he hated himself as well as Corliss for it. But he'd rather be a Macrea toy then an Upper Circle's lab rat. She should have told him, so that he could have been better prepared. But, she really was only trying to protect him.

His head jerked up, as his apartment door was kicked down and in entered six men dressed in black. They all held rifles, one man leapt forward, ordering Trent onto his stomach. He complied without hesitation, and the man pressed his knee against Trent's upper back, before handcuffing him.

"Trent Monte, you are under arrest for your defection against the Upper Circle. You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used against you. You have the right to an attorney…"

"Yeah, I know!" He barked though the Upper Circle had their own right not to comply to a request for an attorney under these circumstances.

His arrester yanked him up onto his knees, and then to his feet as he shoved him out of the apartment and down the stairs.

Trent's eyes rested firmly on Isaac; who was waiting out by the squad car as they brought him out.

"Wait!" Isaac ordered, stopping them from shoving him into the car. "Trent, I'm sorry, but this is my job. I can't go down for this."

Trent nodded, "It's alright, Isaac. I would have done the same thing had it been you. Call my sister, her card is in my desk at work, would you?"

Before he could hear or see Isaac response, he was thrown into the backseat of the squad car. He looked out the window at Isaac, who stood with his hands folded on the sidewalk. Damn him, had he only waited one more day, then Trent would have been under Macrea protections… or at least he hoped he would have.

As he watched his partner, Samara came to stand beside him. A look of dread and fear filled her eyes. She obviously hadn't expected them to treat him like a criminal. Trent wondered what the hell had Isaac dragged her along for. It was bad enough that he was being arrested by his peers, let alone to have the damn dogs there with him. He must have needed the emotional support.

He looked up as the driver got into the squad car, he recognized this man. Jonah Ridley had worked in paranormal investigations with him for eight years. They said nothing to each other, as he started the engine and began to drive away.

---***---
Ellice threw her cell phone down onto her bed, and ran out into the hallway. Her destination was Corliss' bedroom, despite that she was inappropriately dressed in a night gown. She tried not to act suspiciously, but knew that she was failing miserably. After all she was running in the halls in nothing but a satin slip.

Getting to Corliss' door, she barely knocked before throwing the door open. Her eyes fell on Marcellus and Corliss, both looked like deer caught in headlights. They stood at the end of the bed, both completely dressed, so she knew there was nothing indecent going on. Yet, they both acted as if she had caught them in the act. The elder was the first to break his frozen stance.

"What the hell are you doing, toy?" Marcellus barked.

"I am very sorry. I have something urgent that I must speak with Corliss about. Should I wait outside?" Ellice bowed her head; her eyes never looked into Marcellus'.

He shook his head, "No, I was just leaving." As he passed her; he grabbed her upper arm. "You will not speak of what you have seen here."

"No, milord, never." She gently shook her head as her eye squeezed tight at the pain he was causing to her arm.

He glared over at Corliss, before leaving the room and slamming the door behind him.

"What has gotten into you?" Corliss' voice was full of shame and anger.

"I am sorry, Corliss. I really am, but this is important."

"Out with it!"

"I just got off the phone with a woman named Samara. She told me that Trent has been arrested by the Upper Circle for… uh… I think she said deflection against them." Ellice looked up from the ground to witness Corliss' gapped mouth. "What's going on, Corliss?" She knew from her expression that there was much more to the tale and Corliss knew it.

"Oh my god!" Corliss cried out.

Rogue turns were not given the same royalties and rights as a sanctioned turn. That meant that the Upper Circle could do as they pleased with Trent, kill him, use him. They couldn't charge a kine with anything that was up to their clan. He obviously wasn't part of a clan, he didn't live in the building or have the proper plaque posted outside his apartment.

"Corliss, what has happened?" Ellice cried out the question again as she past her heading for the door.

"Go back to your room, Ellice. Don't tell anyone about this, understand?" She ordered before heading out into the hallway and leaving Ellice alone in her room.

Running towards Adriel's bedroom, she knew the choice had been made for her. He was the only person that could make any of this right. She had no idea whether Trent wanted to live or die, but Marcellus had no power. By the time he did; odds were it would be too late.

Knocking on the door, Adriel opened it and allowed her entry. "I wasn't expecting you this evening." He mumbled as he shut the door.

He was wearing nothing but his black pajama bottoms.

"Adriel, I have something that you need to know, and something that I will trade for it."

He arched his eyebrow, and crossed his arms across his bare chest.

"I know who all the elders are that have sided with Marcellus. I also know what they plan and when they plan to do it."

His eye narrowed and his lips pressed firmly together, "And you know this, because?"

"I sided with them." She was ready for the slap, but it came much quicker then she had expected it to. Picking herself up off the floor, she steadied her stance.

"I should kill you where you stand! You little treacherous slut!" He growled before jumping forward and grabbing her upper arms. He shook her violently several times, before slamming her against the wall.

"If you kill me, then you will never know a thing. They will take over and you will be left with less then ruin."

"Less then ruin?" His grip on her eased.

"They plan to kill you, Adriel. It's more then just a take over." She relaxed when Adriel stepped back away from her.

"I see. And you say you have something to trade for this information?"

She nodded, "I accidentally turned Trent and he has been arrested by the Upper Circle as a rogue. You claim he is part of the clan, and I will tell you everything that you need to know."

He curled his upper lip, "How dare you! I will claim no part in an illegal transformation, nor will I bring any of your infected Fausto turns into my clan."

"Then I tell you nothing, Adriel."

Raising his hand again, she readied herself for another slap, but it never came. "Very well, Corliss, we will play by your rules for now. Tell me what you know."

"Call the Upper Circle first, and send one of our representatives over." Corliss had never been the one in control of their relationship, and though it felt strange, she felt empowered as well.

Adriel gave a nod, "Very well." He reached for the phone, but his hand dropped. "Do you know who killed Kaleb?"

She knew, it was her brothers. Though neither Marcellus or her brothers would admit to it, she had a good feeling that Marcellus had told them. "Yes, I do."

"Who?"

"Shall I start from the beginning or just give a name?"

Adriel stood straight, and cross his arms. "You have been playing a dangerous game, haven't you, Corliss?"

She grinned, "I have."

"Very well from the beginning."

Corliss walked over to the edge of the bed and took a seat, Adriel followed her lead. "It started about four months ago, I was in the garden alone, and Rylan came to see me. He told me that he had started to work for the Upper Circle, and that he was working closely with a pup. His mission was to gather information about the clan to ensure that the Macreas weren't going to attempt any power plays. Like removing another clan and such." She looked over at Adriel and he seemed rather calm.

"He had asked someone else to join the cause, and the person agreed because he wanted to get you removed from power. This made him the Shadow, that you no doubt read about in the files you found in my room… I later found out that it was Kaleb."

Adriel gave a slow nod.

"He wanted me to do the same as Kaleb, and so I agreed."

"Why did you agree, have I not given you all that you wanted?" Adriel seemed more hurt about her betrayal then his sons.

"I have never wanted to be here, Adriel, we both know that." She waited for a response, but got none. "A few weeks before we found Rylan's body, he told me that he was getting a lot of death threats. Not only that, but he was certain someone within the clan knew about what he was doing. It turned out to be Marcellus. He said that he was going to quit and expose us all. There was nothing I could do to change his mind, so I let him go." She swallowed deeply, when Adriel took her hand and began to squeeze it.

Ignoring him, she continued. "I got an email a couple weeks later, asking me to meet the other Shadow and Rylan's partner at a warehouse. When I got there, I was an hour late, and Kaleb was screaming at him. The pup was there as well, and she gave him a gun." Corliss' voice caught in her throat as she tried not to cry. "He shot him, and then they just left. Neither of them ever saw that I was there. I picked up Rylan's body and hid it at a popular pup hide out, hoping the werewolves would be blamed."

Adriel had stopped breathing, and his eyes were enraged. "And my son?"

"Marcellus. I told him that Kaleb had killed Rylan, and he wanted revenge for his toy's death." She lied, but Adriel was too angry to tell the difference.

He stood from the bed and reached for the phone, "I am a man of my word, Corliss. However, after this is over, you will be tried for what you have done."

"I understand, and I expected no less."

---***---
It started before they even reached Upper Circle headquarters. His stomach felt as if it were about to burst, he began to suffocate, and his heart would pound at an unheard of speed, and then just stop. The pain had been too much, even when his own father had tried to speak to him. Words, thoughts, they couldn't form through all the torment that his own body was going through.

They threw him into a small five foot by five foot cell, a solid metal door for an exit. No pain killers, no checking up on him, he laid there on the cold ground. Trent could barely remember his own name, and it had taken him several moments to recognize his father's face. He managed to cry out for his father to help him, which made the old man tear up and leave the room.

He told himself that the pain would end with time, but it only got stronger. Wracking his entire body with what felt like dagger into his soul, until he knew that he could bare no more. When he started wishing for death, praying that the sweet release from life would come, it stopped. All the pain, just disappeared, as if it had never been. He didn't even feel tired from his evening of thrashing about and screaming. Sitting up, he wiped the sweat from his brow. He was left in deep confusion, but remembered that Corliss has warned him about the terrible night ahead.

Feeling his teeth, he found that his canines were now fangs. Sharp and deadly like any other kine. He closed his mouth, and bit his own tongue. Letting out a slew of curse words as he bit his bottom lip. Gently, he shut his mouth, ensure that no other body parts were in the way. This was going to take time getting use to, though he wondered if he actually had much time left.

The cell door opened and in stepped a tall, dark haired man. Trent knew immediately that he was a kine, though he had never before met him. It had to do with the way he smelt, he reeked of blood, but not his own.

"Mister Monte, I am Zane Orrin. I was sent here to secure your release." His skin was darker then Trent had ever seen a humans, as were his eyes. "Are you well enough to stand? I understand that you have been undergoing your transformation these past two days. It is a rare to go through such a long process though not unheard of."

"Two days?" Trent finally managed.

"Yes, Mister Monte, two days." He held out his hand for Trent to take, "I will explain everything to you in the car. Right now, we need to get you out of here and put some blood in your stomach. Both are critical in this stage of your development."

Trent took his hand and was pulled to his feet. Zane put his arm around his shoulder to keep Trent from falling over. As he exited the cell, he looked into the eyes of his father, Franklin.

He stepped forward, "Are you sure you want to go with them, Trent?" Franklin asked.

He gave a nod, "I have a feeling that it will be better there then here."

A sadness filled the old man's eyes, yet another child lost to the kine.

"I am still your son, father, and I think you would find that Eleanor still wants to be your daughter. Though, she goes by Ellice now."

Franklin looked up into his eyes, "Have her call me?"

Trent agreed, and Zane helped walk him down to the front desks of the Upper Circle's prison. There he signed a few papers, one that included his release from all human laws and positioned himself under kine law. It was a harsher system, but he had no other choice.

Zane walked him down to his black car; the make and model Trent didn't really pay attention to. Though he was certain that it was a luxury car. Sitting in the driver's seat, Zane smiled at him.

"Welcome to kine society. I am afraid we can't go straight to the Macrea building. I have been asked to keep you from there until a certain business deal finishes. Which also means that for the next few hours, I will be your mentor. So, first things first, you are pale as the moon." Zane chuckled, starting up his car. "Let's get you something to eat."

"Animal right?" Trent asked, pulling his seat belt on. He hadn't felt weak in the cell, but the moment he stood up all his energy had drained away.

"Right." Zane said pulling out of his parking lot.

"How did you get me out?"

"Mister Adriel Macrea called the Upper Circle and informed him that you were a member of the Macrea Clan. They had no other option, but to release you from their cells. You do not belong under rogue kine or human laws."

"Adriel?" He watched Zane nod, "Not Marcellus?"

"Nope, Adriel. He summoned me and asked that I ensure your safe release." Zane looked at him out of the corner of his eye. "Why would you think Marcellus would have the power to do that?"

He shrugged, "I am out of it." He wasn't going to rat Corliss out if this man didn't know. Speaking of Corliss, "Is Corliss alright?"

"Miss Macrea is fine. She was with Adriel last I saw her." Zane's voice held his curiosity, as well as his suspicion. He cleared his throat, "Anyway, let's get to mentoring, shall we? First and foremost, you need to drink blood, as if you didn't know. You'll probably need to drink it three to four times a week right now, and then later you can drop down to two. Some kine can even go with just one feed a week." He grinned, "And animal blood works for that."

Trent chuckled as the man had known his question before he had asked.

"Second of all, if you indulge yourself in human food; try not to eat anything with too much fat. It doesn't digest well for us. Animal fat is alright, like say a steak, though. Just try to stay away from butter and ice cream."

"What does it give you gas or something?" Trent asked.

Zane laughed, "Too much can make you violently sick. I remember when I was freshly turned, I didn't believe my mentor. I puked for a week while it made it's way through my system. Couldn't do anything but lay in bed and vomit. Had to drink water just so I had something to throw up." He shivered, "Dry heaves are the worst!"

Trent chuckled, "No offense, but you aren't what I expected from a kine."

"None taken, and I think you'll find the kine aren't always what they appear. I wasn't exactly a willing turn myself, which is probably why Adriel sent me." He turned the stirring wheel, and chuckled.

"Why do you say I was unwilling?"

Zane shrugged, "Why else would the Upper Circle have you?"

"Good point." Trent looked out the car window, "How long do we have to stay out?"

"Until they call me and say to come back." Zane answered. Of course, if they didn't call him by midnight then he would know that Adriel was dead. It would be his task then to kill the man sitting beside him.

---***---
Corliss stood in the dark elder's meeting hall, she knew that her brother Julian and several other Faustos were positioned around the room. Adriel had called them to help bring the treachery to an end. It turned out that Adriel and her father, Cassius, were relatively close, business-wise. He didn't want Adriel losing his position anymore then he wanted to lose his own. Had she known that then she would have never agreed to help Rylan all those months ago.

Adriel gave her a nod which told her that it was time. Marcellus had sent her in to ensure that he was alone. Stepping out of the room, Corliss walked down the hall to where Marcellus and several other elders were awaiting her word. She entered and shut the door, her heart beating quickly within her chest.

"He's alone, and sitting at the table when I left him." She told Marcellus.

She hated the idea of sending him in there, knowing that it would mean his death. They had been in love once, and she still cared deeply for him. She also knew that Marcellus' victory would be the only thing that would stop her own death. Adriel was going to have her tried and killed after this was all over; she knew it to be true. Yet, she had to do this for Trent. Adriel had promised her that he would not be killed.

"Are you prepared for this?" Marcellus asked as he handed her a hand gun.

"Prepared to kill my master? As much as I will ever be." She looked around the faces of the other elders; she had never seen them so blood thirsty before.

Adriel's death meant they would all move up one notch, but they would not succeed. The high elder was prepared for their inevitable betrayal with an army of his own.

"Take it." Marcellus said still holding the gun out to her.

"Do I really have to be there for this? I've done my part. I am not a soldier." She watched him shove the gun at her again, and took it from his hand. "Are you certain that you want to do this? I mean can't you just vote him out?"

Marcellus snorted, "In order to vote him out, we need a majority of the Macrea clans to agree. We are never going to get them to vote out a man who has increased profits here." He shook his head, "No, we kill him and pin his death on Kaleb's pup partner."

He meant Amelia, but she wasn't Kaleb's partner. Corliss wasn't going to correct him as this was no time to get into semantics.

Everyone slipped passed her and left Corliss to catch her breath in those last moments. It was too late to warn Marcellus now, and her heart broke knowing that she was the final factor in his life. Following the group down the hall, they all filed around the door. Her heart pounded with fear and anticipation at to what was to come. Someone she cared about was going to die today, and it would be all her fault.

Marcellus placed his hands on the doorknob and began to twist. The guards that were normally posted outside the door had been ordered to leave earlier. They had not questioned Marcellus when he demanded it, though Corliss was quite certain that Adriel had told them it would happen.

Throwing the door open, they all piled into the room. Corliss didn't enter instead, she did as she was told by Adriel, and slammed the door shut behind them. She locked the door with the key that she had been given. Marcellus spun around and grabbed her arm, and Corliss rid herself of the key by throwing it to Adriel. The door being locked was more of an inconvenience then anything, as Marcellus could easily knock it down with a few kicks.

"What have you done?" Marcellus growled; he didn't notice the other vampires in the room.

They wore bullet proof vests, black jump suits, and in each hand was a rifle. Julian was the head of security at the Fausto's businesses. Her father didn't believe in just letting his children run around free because they had money, and he demanded that they worked.

"I would let her go, Marcellus." Adriel said to his cousin as his arms folded behind his back.

Marcellus turned his eyes to the small group that stood with Adriel, all the elders had thrown down their weapons. He placed the gun to Corliss' temple and pulled her in front of him.

"Do not be a fool, Marcellus. We both know that Corliss is already sentenced to death for her treacherous acts; she is no shield for you." Adriel chuckled, "Of course, with your ever romantic ideals on love, I am sure that you would prefer the Romeo and Juliet ending. Though, I doubt Corliss feels the same."

Marcellus squeezed her against his chest, "Open the door."

Corliss was well aware that Adriel may betray her in those moments, but she prayed that he would keep his end of the deal. He promised not to kill Trent, and that he would let him decide whether to live as a kine or die. That's all the really mattered. All of this was her fault, and she was prepared to pay the consequences.

"She fell in love with a human." Adriel grinned, "A human over you."

Marcellus glared.

Corliss could see the look of confusion on her brother, Julian's, face. He didn't know what she had done to Trent, and her fear coupled with shame. The last thing she wanted was for anyone in her family to know that she had fallen for a human. She could only pray that Adriel told him it was a lie to get a rise out of Marcellus later on. As she doubted she would be around to contradict her master.

Marcellus pressed the cool metal of the barrel into her temple, and she closed her eyes. Wrapping her fingers around his forearm, she prepared herself for the end. She wished that Trent could have been there with her, and she prayed for his safety. Sucking in what she thought would be one of her last breathes, she felt Marcellus' hold of her release. He threw her to the ground at Adriel's feet along with his gun.

"I could never hurt you." He mumbled as the Fausto crew ordered them to get on their knees and put their hands behind their heads.

Adriel grabbed her upper arm and pulled her to her feet. She couldn't believe that it was over just like that. No bloodshed, no death, Marcellus had just given up, as did the other elders.

"I blackmailed her into doing this, Adriel. This wasn't her fault." Marcellus announced as he was removed from the room.

Corliss looked up at Adriel as he exited, "That's not true."

"I know." He growled, "Now, I must prepare for the trials. We shall begin tomorrow."

Adriel was the judge and jury, and there was no doubt what would happen to them all. He exited the room, without looking at Corliss. She was shocked that she had not been arrested with the others, perhaps Adriel knew that she wouldn't try to escape. There was no where to run to.