Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(CMS:BT) Chapter 19

Zane hung up the cell phone in the coffee shop, before he looked across the table at Trent. The new turn had done quite well for himself after his first feed, as most would have thrown up. He had been able to keep the blood down for the most part, although a half hour later he had vomited some within his mouth. That was partly the reason they had stopped off at the coffee shop, Zane not only wanted to get something to wash it down for him, but show him some proper places where vampires could patronize.

"Well, that was Adriel. He said it's alright to come back when we want to." Zane's booming voice spoke over the crowd.

"Can I see Corliss? I would like to speak with her."

He shook his head, "No, Corliss has had all her privileges revoked, and is considered a prisoner at this time."

"For murder?" Trent asked; taking a sip of his black coffee.

"No, for betrayal and unsanctioned turned. I don't know what bargaining chip she used to keep you alive, but you are one lucky man." Zane put his cell phone in his pocket. Adriel had explained some of the situation to him on the phone.

"What will happen to her?" He didn't understand; he thought she said that Marcellus would help them. Why would she be under arrest now? And why did he just get off the phone with Adriel? Had they failed the take-over?

Zane shrugged, "That's for Adriel to decide. Right now, I need to take you to meet with him. He wishes to speak with you privately." He stood from the booth and pulled out his car keys.

Trent covered his coffee with the lid and followed his temporary instructor out to the car. Once inside, they remained silent for the rest of the drive. Though he didn't know Zane very well, he thought for certain he saw uncertainty in the man's eyes. Man? Kine, Zane was a kine, and so was he. It felt so weird to think it as he still felt human.

All his life, he thought that kine were walking around with a superior strength and pride within, but he felt no different then he had last month or even last year. No, that was a lie, he felt better, healthier. The self loathing that he had carried with himself all his life was slowly fleeting. The urge to drink himself away had vanished weeks before after he had been contaminated.

Could it then be true? Could he possibly be one of the humans who were born and were always meant to become a kine? He didn't like the thought, nor did he really believe the myth but it would make his transition all the easier.

With a deep swallow, he looked out his window as they pulled into the Macrea Corp parking lot. Zane exited the vehicle as soon as he turned it off, and clicked on the alarm system once Trent was out. They took an express elevator from the parking garage to one of the floors in the Macrea building. Zane had to use a card to get the doors to open.

"Be respectful, act as if you are talking to God, and you'll do fine." Zane whispered to him as they reached the elder's meeting hall.

"Thanks for your help, Zane. Maybe we can have coffee again sometime?" He didn't know why he asked, perhaps to ensure that he had friends within the clan.

Zane shook his head, "I have a feeling that this will be the last time we ever speak to one another."

"Oh, well, good luck to you."

"You need it more then I. Take care, and remember to be respectful."

Trent nodded, as the guards opened the door behind him. Inside, Adriel sat at the end of the table, and pointed to the chair further from him. "Please sit, Mister Monte."

Remembering Zane's words, Trent sat immediately. "Thank you."

Adriel folded his hands on the table in front of him, "You may remember me from Rylan Cullen's funeral. I am Adriel Macrea. Were you informed of why I wanted to speak with you?"

"No, sir, I was not."

A grinned played at the corner of the kine elder's lips, "It's good to see that you are courteous. Tomorrow, you will be tried for being an unsanctioned turn. Normally, one such as yourself would be put to death. However, as a man of my word, I will not be able to have you permanently removed from this earth."

"Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but what do you mean when you say 'a man of your word'? Has some deal been made that I am not aware of?" Trent swallowed, when he saw a look of anger flash in the elder's eyes, but it softened as he talked.

"Yes, with your master, Corliss. Well, it was less of a deal, and more like blackmail, but you needn't concern yourself with details. Right now, your future is at stake." Adriel watched him for a moment before continuing. "You see, Mister Monte, I do not allow just anyone to become a member of my clan. People must earn that position; such as your sister did."

His deep piercing eyes were making Trent uncomfortable, but he tried not to squirm around.

"I wished to speak with you, so that I can get an understanding of how you think, and if it is a kin to my own. If not, then I see no reason for you to be part of my clan. After all, Corliss is not a Macrea, though she may carry our name. I do not think that my people would take kindly to you. Therefore the only way to protect you, would be to make you my toy, understand?"

"Yes, sir, I do. If you do not decide that I can become a member, what happens to me then?"

"As I can not kill you, I would have to release you. You would become a rogue kine, and therefore hunted by those that wish to experiment on you or destroy you. Clan members do not take lightly to rogues." Adriel watched him shift in his seat. "Shall we begin then?"

"I am ready, sir." Trent knew that he had to do the best he could with the information that he had collected about Adriel. Hopefully, he could paste together enough agreeable information that Adriel would not find him lacking. He hated the idea of become a Macrea, but the alternative was not much better.

---***---
Corliss followed a pet down the halls to a spare meeting hall, she wasn't sure who wanted to meet with her, but the pet had made it sound urgent. Adriel had ordered her to stay within her room, however the pet had brought her written proof that it was alright for her to leave for this meeting.

The short man opened the door for her, and she stepped into the room that wasn't that much different from the elder's hall. Her eyes fell immediately upon the kine with black hair, tan skin, who stood as tall as Adriel. This was her father, Cassius Fausto. Beside him was her mother Kamila, and her brothers, Julian, Silvio, and the eldest, Dante.

Kamila ran towards her as soon as the door was shut, and wrapped her arms around her daughter's shoulders. "Oh my beautiful girl." She kissed her cheek. "My beautiful, beautiful baby."

"Kamila, cease this. That is not your daughter, but a Macrea!" Cassius ordered his wife. Though in truth, he was glad to see his daughter again. She looked exactly like her mother, almost too closely for comfort.

"Oh hush, Cassius. If you believed that we would not be here now." Kamila continued to hug her, and then stepped back holding her hands. She brushed some stray hairs from Corliss' face. "Have you been treated well? I've missed you so much."

"What is going on? Why are you here?" Corliss looked passed her mother to her father.

Everyone lowered their heads and finally her father spoke. "Adriel informed us of the punishment that is set out by Macrea law for what you have done. We wanted to say our goodbyes."

She gently nodded her head. "I see."

"What were you thinking, Corliss? All this for a human? How could you do this to our family?" Dante barked

Kamila turned to her son, "May I remind you that I was still human when your father fell in love with me. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to judge. If a kine had not loved a human, you would have never been born."

He dropped his head, "I am sorry, mother. I didn't mean to offend. I just don't see why she did this for him. From what I understand Marcellus could be high elder of the Macrea clan now and Corliss would have been spared."

Cassius spoke before Corliss could, "There are some things that are more important than your own life. Your sister decided that this was one of them." He turned his eyes to her, "Right?"

"It was my fault that Trent became a kine. He shouldn't be killed for my mistakes as he had nothing to do with this, father." She looked between her brothers and parents, "I am sorry if I have shamed the Faustos. It was never my intention. Actually, Adriel was the one who ordered me to get close to the human in the first place."

Kamila frowned deeply. "I knew that horrible man had something to do with this, he…"

"Kamila!" Cassius snapped, "Adriel is our ally. You should not speak of him so."

"Your ally put her in this position. It is his fault that any of this happened. And now he is punishing her for doing what he knew was a probability." Kamila looked back to her daughter. "It isn't fair."

"I think he is punishing me more for joining Marcellus' side then for turning Trent, mother." Corliss looked down at her mother's hands that were holding hers so tightly that her fingers were turning red.

"We should go now, Adriel asked us not to keep you long." Cassius announced when nothing else was said.

Kamila leaned in and kissed her daughter's cheek several times. "Be strong, my baby girl."

"Father, may I ask you something in private?" Corliss asked as everyone headed towards the door.

With a nod, he waited for the others to leave then turned to her.

"I know that after what I have done that you owe me no favors. But perhaps, you can grant me a dying wish?"

He crossed his arms, "What is it?"

"Adriel may make Trent a rogue kine, could you…" She hesitated as this was not something you asked of an elder or even your father.

"Accept him as a Fausto?" He finished her question.

Corliss nodded with her eyes staring down towards the floor. "It really wasn't his fault that all this happened."

"I will give it some thought. We will all be at the trial tomorrow, so I will make my decision after Adriel makes his."

"Thank you."

"Don't thank me. I haven't agreed to anything." With that he opened the door to leave.

Julian appeared in the doorway, "I want to speak with her alone."

"Make it quick, we need to get home." Cassius ordered.

Stepping into the room, Julian shut the door and reached out his arms towards his sister. Corliss threw herself at him, and began to cry into his silk shirt. "I'm sorry, Julian. I really am."

He stroked her hair, "Don't be sorry, you have caused no damage to the Fausto name. At least not within the clan, maybe to the Macreas who know you are one."

"I can't believe all this happened." She sobbed. "I… how did this happen? I don't know how I even got here. I tried to push him away, I did everything, but Adriel kept pushing me to go further." She shook her head, "No, I can't blame him, this is all my fault, and I know it."

"You know," He began still petting her hair, "I always thought that one day you would be back in the Fausto clan. Just something that I knew would come true in my heart. Then everything would go back the way it was." He grinned, "Remember reading in the study all day together, and whenever we read something interesting or funny we would read it to each other?"

Corliss giggled, "Yeah, but the other one didn't understand, so we had to explain the entire book to each other."

"Yeah, Silvio doesn't like reading much."

"Silvio doesn't like much of anything." She retorted.

He released her from his grasp and held her at an arm's distance. "We are going to be there with you. Death will not come to you without those you love near."

She shook her head, "No, listen to me. I asked father to take Trent if Adriel makes him a rogue, if he does that I want you to take Trent home. I don't want him to see me die, Julian, please."

He swallowed; trying to hold back tears. "I'll try to convince father to take him. I'm sorry that all this happened, Corliss."

"Me too." She stepped away from his grasp, "Be good and don't bother the Macreas anymore. You don't want to end up like me and Rylan."

He grinned, "No worries." Turning around, he exited the door, but before he disappeared down the hall he looked back to her. "I love you, and I'll miss you."

"You've barely talked to me in two hundred years, you won't miss anything."

"I'll miss knowing that you are still alive out there." With that he turned his back on her and vanished down the hallway.

---***---
Corliss made her way down to the basement of the building, her eyes wandered across the room to the alter where Kaleb had once lain. Her eyes dropped, as the guard assigned to her motion her towards the cells that were kept to the right. She wasn't being placed in the prisons, instead Marcellus had requested to speak with her.

On the way down, she had felt Trent enter the building. A heavy weight left her heart knowing that he was finally in the possession of the Macreas. Whether that would remain had yet to be seen. She had only turned one person before in her life, and she was killed several days later. There was a bond between two persons after the human of the group was transformed or the stronger vampire drank from the weaker. It was how Adriel had known her so well, and why he had taken her into his bed.

Passing through the curtains; the cells revealed themselves. Nothing more then a bunk, gray stone, and steel bars. The one closest to them held Marcellus. He was sitting on the ground with one knee up and his elbow resting upon it. He looked rather relaxed for a man who would be dead by the next sun set.

Her guard whispered that he would wait by the entrance, as Marcellus stood up and walked towards her. The steel bars were left as her only protection as the guard disappeared around the corner.

"Tell me, Corliss," Marcellus began, "what exactly where you thinking when you betrayed me to him?"

"I was thinking that Adriel's signature would be the only way to get Trent out of the Upper Circle's grasp."

"And this couldn't have waited one day and then I would have been high elder?" His fingers wrapped around the metal bars.

"No, they could have killed him. What does any of this matter, now?"

Softly he shrugged, "I merely want to know why the woman I loved betrayed me. This way I have no unanswered questions as I die."

"Don't try to make me feel guilty, Marcellus. I did what I had to and there is nothing that I can do now to change anything."

His eyes narrowed, "You are a traitor as much as I am, why aren't you in the cells?"

"I don't know, but I am standing before the courts tomorrow. Adriel promises a punishment no worse then your own."

"No better either, I hope."

Her eyes dropped, before returning to his. "I am sorry, Marcellus. Had there been another way, I would have taken it. I would have rathered no blood be shed, and you should not of tried to take over this way. We have laws for a reason."

He released the bars and his hands fell to his side, "I know where my own faults lie, Corliss. The real question is: Do you?"

"Of course, I know. I am not as blind as some may think."

"Was he worth it? Your life, my life. Please tell me that he was, I would hate to think I am dying for a decision you regret."

"Was Trent worth it?" She mimicked, "None of this was his fault, therefore he should not be punished for it. So yes, he was worth it."

Marcellus ran his hand out through the bars, which caused Corliss to jump back. "Take it." He ordered.

She gently placed her thin hand in his own.

Nothing was said for several moments, as he stared down at her small hand within his own. Corliss watched as his thumb rubbed the back of her hand. Finally he released her, and looked back up into her eyes, his fear all too apparent, though he tried to hide it.

"Did you ever think it would end this way?" He asked.

"I didn't even think it would start this way."

Marcellus grinned, "They say that it is easier to forgive an enemy, then to forgive your own friend. I have never seemed to have that problem, not with you at least. Perhaps, it was because I have always known where your loyalties lie. It's not with me or Adriel or even the human, but with yourself." He swallowed, "You never do anything that would betray your own beliefs, and I can't be angry with you for doing what I would hope to have the courage to do myself."

She stepped closer to the bars and wrapped her fingers around them. Marcellus reciprocated by placing his own hands around hers.

"I really am sorry." She whispered.

"No, I am the one who is sorry. Had I not been so self-centered and asked that you be wed to a Macrea, then none of this would have ever happened. Now, go. I know that I do not want to spend the last day of my life in the prisons, so why should I keep you here?"

Corliss smiled, "I wish you well when you stand in judgment, Marcellus, both before Adriel and the heavens."

"Same to you." He released her hands.

Removing her fingers from the bars, she turned her back on him, forcing herself not to look back. The guard stood at the entrance like he had promised, and opened the door as she approached. With a heavy heart, she made her way back up the stairs to finish off the rest of her hours alone in her room.