Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 10: Overly Indulged Children

That morning the group lined up as per usual and waited for roll call, before the basins were delivered. Following behind the servants was a man with blonde hair and a wide smile. He waved at the girls as he approached, and Remus immediately looked to Santh who was watching his every move.

"Shall this bring me my victory?" Remus asked out loud to his friend, who merely glared at him and returned to his washing.

"Why the ladies of the South Dorm look so fresh in the morning." Authin came to stand below them while they remained on the platform. "Not even those of the Royal Dorm could look as lovely as you right after waking."

"Lenore and I bathed in the stream before roll call." Ophelia announced with glee in her voice.

The announcement made all the men in the area slightly more alert, except for Routine who seemed unburdened by the thought of naked women bathing meters away from where he slept.

"Ophelia, don't tell people that." Lenore reprimanded after seeing the slight reaction the boys gave. "We will end up being spied on."

She covered her mouth and then immediately looked to Authin, "You must forget that I told you that!"

"Forget what?" Authin winked and then turned his attention to Lenore, but before he could speak Ophelia interrupted.

"How is it that you are washed and ready before we even receive our basins? Do the servants bring your basins earlier then ours?"

"The Royal Dorms are built over a hot spring." Lenore informed her. "They are separated into male and female areas, so they do not receive basins."

"Quite true." Authin grinned. "It also keeps the dorms slightly warmer in the winter."

"Another amenity for the spoiled heirs of the Royal Guild." Santh spat as he slowly dried off his arms as he was too distracted watching the strange man before him.

Authin looked amused by his reaction. "Indeed, of course, we couldn't expect to take overly indulged children that are used to ridiculous comforts and throw them into a dorm such as this, could we? Imagine the amount of fainting, dear Santh!" He grabbed his chest in mock hysteria, and began to speak more dramatically, "The Royals would all be laid about the entire school, and we would never be able to make it to our classes on time. Though, I suppose I would be one of those passed out in the pathways."

Ophelia giggled along with the others, besides Santh and Routine, "That would be a sight."

Remus looked over at Santh, whose eyes seemed to be contemplating murdering both of the Royals in front of him. Anton noticed this as well, but couldn't understand exactly why his large dorm mate disliked the Royal, he seemed friendly enough.

Jolon nodded, "But surely Lenore is capable of doing so, the most spoiled of them all, the rest could get used to it. Isn't that why we are here? To learn to live with discomfort for a time."

"Discomfort from your old life, yes. Trust me, there isn't a single person in the Royal Dorms that doesn't have something to complain about. It, however, is trivial compared to your own." Authin looked up at the dorm. "You would think they never make repairs on this place." He turned his attention to Lenore. "You should petition your brother."

Lenore stepped down from the platform and her shadow, Ophelia, followed. "There mere fact that I was asking would ensure this place was torn down rather than rebuilt."

"I believe you underestimate the lengths your brother will go to in order to win you to his side." Authin smirked at her. "May I walk you both to the dining hall?" He turned around and offered an arm to both of the girls.

Ophelia grabbed it without waiting for Lenore to make her own decision, and not wanting to cause embarrassment to her friend, Lenore took the arm as well. As they walked down the path, Santh continued to glare as he jumped down from the platform and began to follow behind them. Remus who was still putting on his shoes, hurried to tie them so that he could watch this unfold.

Anton and Jolon were quickly to follow as they were used to going to the dining hall with the rest of the group, and didn't want to fall behind. All that left was Routine, who dried off his hair and brushed it back before applying the lotion to keep it in place. When he was finished, he washed his hands and walked down the stairs before heading down the path himself, all while shaking his head at his dorm mates morning display.

---***---

Sitting down at the table on their pillows, Santh had followed closely behind the Royal walking his two female dorm mates. He listened to the man chatter to Ophelia about the many amenities of the Royal dorm and even promised to show her sometime. She was excited by the offer, and even asked when she could. Authin did not have an answer except to tell her soon enough.

Lenore and he talked briefly about whether or not she could speak to her brother about repairs to her dorm. She seemed certain that her brother would not do anything about it, and Authin eventually dropped the subject all together.

Once they arrived, Authin bid them all farewell before heading back to his own dorm for his meal. Santh could have sworn he saw the Royal smirk and wink at him, and he was certain that it was not in a friendly fashion.

"Authin is so handsome." Ophelia clapped her hands together gently. "Can you believe that a Royal walked us to the dining hall?"

"You walk with a Royal every day, Ophelia." Remus chuckled, though he felt a strange pressure in his chest that he couldn't understand.

"Who?"

Everyone pointed to Lenore, even the Princess whose mouth was slightly agape.

She smacked her forehead, "Oh, of course."

The group giggled, once again except for Santh, as Routine arrived at the table and seated himself.

"I meant that a handsome Royal let us drape ourselves on his arms and walked us here." Ophelia told them. "He is so charming. The way he handled Santh's complaint about the dorms having hot springs..." She sighed.

"Is he your suitor, Lenore?" Anton asked as the professors headed to the front of the hall to ready the words of wisdom.

She slowly shook his head, "No, I met him not long ago, but I suppose he has taken a liking to me."

"He is suitable though? I mean politically." Jolon questioned.

Lenore nodded, "Of course, anyone of high political standing in any guild is someone I could marry. Both Byron and Remus are men of possibility for me, as long as it assists my brother. Of course, my brother would probably enjoy just being rid of me to be honest."

Ophelia frowned slightly, "You could marry Remus... and Routine?" She seemed to tack on the last name.

"Byron, not Routine." Routine mumbled underneath his breath as he didn't want to interrupt their conversation.

"Well, no. I suppose not Remus, he isn't yet the heir to the Merchant Guild." She shrugged, "So, just Byron."

"Never fear, fair lady. I will usurp my brother and we shall be together once and for all." Remus pointed his index finger into the air.

"Please, don't threaten me." Lenore turned her eyes to Routine, "What do you say, Byron, do you wish to take me for your bride?"

"I suspect that once again you jest, but a marriage to the Princess would be a highly lucrative accomplishment. I am certain that my father would be satisfied with that arrangement." Routine prepared his cloth napkin by placing it on his lap.

"Your father would be satisfied just to know you have any interest in women at all." Anton quickly got in his tease before the professors began to speak.

Routine looked like he wasn't paying attention to the words that day, and instead was constructing what he would say once they were done. Lenore knew that look well enough, as the man simply didn't understand the concept of joking with each other at times.

As soon as the words were finished, Routine turned to his room mate. "My father is well aware of my predilection for knowledge and my indifference to the carnal passions. He would deduce that this was a political pairing and not one of romantic interest."

Lenore and Anton giggled, while the others looks somewhat shocked by his words.

"Santh, you are awfully quiet today." Lenore tried to change the subject. "I wonder what will you do to earn the pedigree that is necessary to have my hand?"

Remus' heart filled with excitement as he turned to watch Santh shake in annoyance over the question, but he simply hovered over his meal and did not respond.

"Perhaps, we could find a way for you to save my brother's life, and then he would have to give you title and land. Then our love could finally be acknowledged by all." Lenore batted her eyes several times.

Santh had enough and grabbed his dishes before leaving the table, as the others laughed at his reaction.

"He does play hard to get, doesn't he?" Remus jested.

---***---

"You there!"

Ophelia walking beside Anton on their return to the dorms, turned around when they heard the booming voice behind them. The man they knew as the Prince's adviser, Krius La Croix, came before them.

He was taller than Santh and far more built as well. His school uniform could barely contain his build. Ophelia thought he was handsome enough in a gladiator type of way.

"You two share a dorm with the Princess Lenore?" He asked as he stared down at the two of them, his hands behind his back. He looked intimidating to both of them.

"Yes, I am Ophelia..."

"Who you are is irrelevant. Inform the Princess that I, Krius La Croix, wish to speak with her privately. It is a matter of a ruse she has become part of, and I must see her immediately. Are you capable of both delivering that message and keeping it secret or shall I give you a reason?"

"The last part of that question seemed threatening." Anton wanted to verify that he was indeed being offered a beating in exchange for his loyalty.

"Did it? Are you capable or not?"

"We are." Ophelia wanted this to end and she feared Anton might have gotten his pride hurt by that threat.

"Good. Inform her that I shall be in my study after classes, good day." Flipping around, he nearly marched away.

"What a small domesticate horse-like animal!" Ophelia snapped.

Anton's annoyance was quickly burned away, "Did you just call him a donkey?"

"Or variations of that word."

"You were quick to promise to deliver that message without any knowledge as to what he meant." Anton was teasing her about her fear of the man.

"I thought you were getting your pride hurt, and would try to fight him." She spoke with pure worry in her words.

"Why would I fight him? He's huge!" His eyes widened and his voice became high pitched. "He could pick me up with one hand, drop me into his mouth, and chew me up like a grape!"

Ophelia giggled and then grabbed his arm, "Come, let's deliver that message before he believes we have lingered here too long and returns."

Walking down the path, they made their way to the dorm. Ophelia found the Princess in her room, as she studied from one of the books.

"We meet with Krius." She announced as she entered the room and sat down on her bed. Anton leaned against the door frame.

Lenore looked up at the two, "Krius?"

"Krius La Croix." Anton informed her as if she didn't know who the man was.

The Princess sighed, "I know who the man is, he was nearly my fiance, but why did he speak with the two of you?"

"He says that there is a ruse being played out against you, and he wants to discuss it in his study after classes. Which I guess is now, isn't it? How convoluted can one man be?" Ophelia rolled her eyes, "He wasn't very nice. Even threatened us if we didn't inform you."

Lenore shook her head and licked her lips before sucking her bottom lip into her mouth. "As if I will fall for this trick twice." She laughed. "Pay no heed to him. He is simply a giant dog who barks, but will never bite unless my brother tells him too."

Anton seemed satisfied with that and returned to his own room.

Ophelia wasn't as calmed by her words, "He is a very big dog, and you say you were almost wed?"

Lenore looked uncomfortable. "I do not wish to explain this to you or anyone else, Ophelia. Please, let me study."

---***---

"The entire dorm is unbearable now." The girl laid on the former bed of the Princess. Her feet on the wall, and her head hanging over the side. The cascade of long brown curled hair flowing to the dirty floor below. "It is quite fun to see some of the trouble makers caught and expelled however. Can you imagine? Being ejected from university as a woman? You'll never find a husband that has a title or lands."

Routine sighed as he looked up at his desk. "Piera, this is my allotted study hour. It would benefit me greatly, if you took your leave."

She moved her head to the side and continued to look at the man in front of her upside down. Her hair brushed up against his thigh, and Routine was quick to push it away.

"I saw her there. The Princess. The one that you have become so chummy with." Piera informed him. "They were taunting that traitor's daughter, and she came from no where. Made them pull her down and threatened them before disappearing back into the darkness. I think she made her brother assault the girls' dorm."

Pressing his lips together, Routine slammed his book shut. "Piera, I beseech you. I must study. The Analects assessments are but two days away."

"I never get to see you though. Can't you make another hour your study time?" Sitting up, she slid to the floor and wrapped her arms around his.

Routine pulled his arm away. "You are well aware of my distinct objection to human contact."

"You let the Princess touch you. Why not me?"

He didn't answer her question, and instead moved to his bed with the desk. Placing it on his lap, he opened the book. "I trust you can locate the exit on your own."

The sliding door to their room opened and Anton stepped in. He seemed a bit shocked to find a girl sitting on the floor. She smiled as she stood up, "You must be the commoner!"

"His name is Anton Pugh of the Thatcher's Guild." Routine corrected. "It astounds me how you have no sense of courtesy. Have you failed your etiquette class once more?"

Piera stuck the tip of her tongue out at him, and then looked back at Anton. "Commoners and warriors always have such better builds then noblemen like Byron." She reached out her hand and grabbed Anton's upper arm. "One can tell you have done long hours of hard work in your time."

"It is considered uncouth to fondle a person in that manner, Piera." Routine sighed as he become more exhausted by his uninvited guest.

"He isn't complaining." She smiled at Anton before giving him a wink.

"He appears to be in a catatonic state, no doubt from your lack of self discipline." Routine moved the desk off of him, and stood up. "Will I be forced to eject you from the dorm?"

She sighed and removed her hand from Anton, "Very well. You are never any fun." She stepped around the man in front of her, and stepped out of the room. "Good bye, Anton. Perhaps we shall meet again." With that she blew a kiss to him.

Anton watched his dorm mate sit back down on the floor after he grabbed his desk from the bed, as the girl's noisy footsteps disappeared into the distance. "Who was she?"

"Someone well beyond your reach." He opened his book and began to read. His mouth moved slightly as he read and at times his eyes would roll up for a moment as he tried to memorize.

Anton sat down on the bed that Piera had recently occupied. "An admirer of yours then?"

"No."

The boy grinned as he thought about the beautiful girl that he had just met.

The action did not go unnoticed by his dorm mate, "Your station in life is not elevated to the point that I would allow any copulation or romantic rendezvous with my younger sibling."

His far away look disappeared, and he returned his attention to Routine. "Your sibling? That girl is related to you?"

Pinching the bridge of his nose, he inhaled several times. "I grow weary of that inquiry."

---***---

It was the evening before the rest day arrived, and Anton and Jolon found themselves without any extra money to go into the hamlet. Instead, they chose to remain at the dorm while the others went out drinking and involved themselves in other such events. Remus and Ophelia left together, but did not explain where they were going, and Routine also disappeared. There was no question where Lenore and Santh had gone.

They chose to spend their evening sitting in the back room, indulging on some of what Remus called "the inventory." It was mostly a quiet evening as neither of them had a subject to discuss.

"It's too quiet without the others." Anton noted.

Jolon leaned his back against a box as he drank from his bottle of mead, he seemed to ignore his friend's comment all together. "My father wants me to stay here for four years instead of the two."

That caught his attention, "Does he not understand the implications of doing that?"

"Of course, he does. He came to this university as well. He doesn't want me to live his peasant's life and would rather I find a better place. My father is a strict man, who wants more for his children." Jolon took another swig. "What about you?"

"My father is very different from your own. He demands that I return after two years and begin training to take over the guild. Of course, I am the only male heir and the Thatcher's Guild doesn't look too highly on female guild masters." Anton was picking apart a pastry in his lap as he spoke. "When I return home, my father will have found a bride for me."

"You would marry someone you have never met?"

"There is a time where we will meet for three months before we agree on both sides, then a year long engagement will occur. It is not as though I arrive home and immediately marry her." He put one of the raisins from the pastry in his mouth.

"Stop dissecting it." Jolon spoke in disgust.

"I don't like the bread part, it's stale." He explained. "What about yourself? Don't your parents have a bride in mind for you?"

He shook his head, "If I plan to stay for four years, it would be prudent of me to marry a woman of another guild, Souchan or Mondue. That would assist me with my ascension."

"Marry Ophelia, problem solved." Anton looked up to see his friend frowning at him. "What? It will be difficult for her to find a husband whether she finishes two years or four here. Either way, you will be able to enter the Souchan Guild, even if it is as a Souchan commoner."

"Yes, that sounds lovely. I shall marry a woman because she has no other options. Consider the warmth of that home will have, and the love the children shall receive."

Anton chuckled. "You are a bit of a romantic, aren't you?"

"Excuse me?"

"You just explained to me that you want to marry up in the world, I gave you a perfectly valid person with whom you could, and you worried about the love and warmth of the home." He slowly shook his head before putting another raisin in his mouth. "You are not one to search for a woman that can elevate you, Jolon."

"Allow me to worry about my future bride." Jolon spat before taking a large gulp of his mead.

The two fell into silence once more, and Anton sighed loudly. "It's very quiet around here without the others, isn't it?'

Jolon nodded his head. "Maybe next year there will be more commoners."

"One can hope. Do you know Routine has a younger sister here at the university?" He watched Jolon perk up. "She is nothing like him."

---***---

"Where are we going?" Ophelia was holding hands with Remus who walked in front of her. He was using her hand as if it were a leash to keep her near him as they pushed their way through crowds of students in the hamlet, who had nothing better to do then cause trouble.

"It is a surprise. How many times must I tell you?" He could hear the girl giggle behind him which cause a smirk to appear upon his own face.

In the crowded market, Remus came to stop in front of a stand. There was a shed built behind it that was attached. A roof to cover the person who stood under it, shelves behind that would be them, and hinges that let her know that a window shade could be pulled down and locked.

The market was octagon in shape with stalls in the center such as this one, and then other stands and stores surrounding it. A blacksmith clanking to form his steel could be heard, and despite the smoke from his store the smells of fresh wares filled the air. The entire market place was packed full of residents and other students.

"What are we doing here?"

"The Fox purchased this stand for your wares." Remus explained. "It is in the center of the market, so there will be plenty of foot traffic. Also, we will place a statue of a fox so others will know this stand will sneak wares into the university such as mead."

"I do not believe my mother can handle stocking an entire stand, Remus."

He smirked once more, "Ophelia, when will you learn that I am always ten steps ahead? I have sent assistance to her." He put his index finger over her mouth before she spoke. "I already sent word to her and she agreed. She tells me that the extra income we send back has done wonders for repairs on the cottage."

Ophelia took a moment to look around the market without leaving her place. She didn't even notice that Remus was still holding her hand until she turned to face him again. Her eyes went down to her hand and Remus realized what was occurring. They immediately dropped each other's hands.

Ophelia tried to hide her blush as she spoke to the seemingly untouched Remus. "Won't sneaking the product in this way, be more dangerous?"

"The Fox has some of the greatest mules working for him, that shall not be a problem." He told her with a certain amount of pride in his voice.

"Who will man the stand while I am in class?" She placed her hand on the counter of the old gray wooden stand.

Again, he spoke with pride. "I have already purchased the services of a trustworthy individual. You needn't worry any more about your mother's goods, and will be able to focus more on your studies."

"How much does the stand cost? I should return the money to the Fox." She was twiddling with her fingers as she looked at the stand.

He shook his head, "Nonsense. This stand is owned by the Fox as are many of the stores here. Once you move on and no longer wish to send the wares, he will find another use for it." He watched her face and could tell she was uncertain. "Ophelia, this is the best way that we can ensure the others will not be caught and tried for the wares in the dorm. Trust me. I have done this for years, and never once have my mules been caught."

"Your mules?" She raised an eyebrow.

"The Fox's, but of course I schedule them so technically I can call them my own." He reached out and grabbed both of her hands. "Trust me, all will be well."

"My mother said, the extra income has helped her?" She watched him nod. Releasing his hands, she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Remus' neck. "Since I can not hug the Fox, I will hug you instead. Pass this along for me, please."

The smug look on the boy's face slowly vanished and he wrapped his arms around her upper back. "With pleasure." He whispered, when she stepped away from him, he could see the tears in her eyes. "Would you mind if I simply told him that you hugged him instead of actually doing so? Things might get awkward between us otherwise."

Ophelia laughed, "That would be wise."

---***---

Lenore entered the drinking den after a long night of running errands. The only thing she wanted now was a large mug of ale and peace and quiet. The den was quiet as per usual, it was only when Authin was there that it seemed everyone lost their dreary decorum. She smacked her lips as she prepared herself for some of the worst alcohol she had ever drank. Her eyes turn to the bar and fell upon her dorm mate, Santh. In that moment, she knew she would no longer be having her planned evening. Walking over to him, she smiled at the barmaid who was already pouring her a drink.

"Evening, Elsa. How are the children?" Lenore asked her, it seemed Santh hadn't realized she was there until she spoke. His head shot over to her, and then a groan of annoyance came through.

"Lovely." The large woman placed the tin cup containing rot gut and then a tankard of ale in front of Lenore. "Your donation will get them through the winter."

"I'm glad. I know what it is like to sleep outside in the cold, and I wish that upon no one." Lenore grabbed the tin cup and downed her drink before putting it on the table. She noticed that Santh had rolled his eyes at her comment. "One more, please." She looked over at Santh with a frown. "What was that face just now? Do you not believe me?"

Santh said nothing and simply turned his eyes toward her.

Lenore looked over at Elsa as she poured her another drink. "This man has fantastical dreams about me living in a castle, and growing up all prim and proper."

Elsa laughed as she put the bottle down. "Does he now?"

Santh knew if he stormed out of the drinking den that he would only have the Angel's Hall to drink in, and in that place the girls never left well enough alone. It was as if they were all attracted to his dark nature, his dirty hair, and the mere fact that he kept telling them to leave him be.

"What do you think, Elsa?" The Princess wrapped her arms around Santh's arm and put her head on his shoulder. "We would make a lovely couple, don't you agree?"

The barmaid couldn't even created a response as she laughed before returning to her other customers. Santh pulled his arm away and didn't attempt to reprimand her in the least.

"Why haven't you talked to me all week?" Lenore asked him. "How did I anger you to the point that you won't even yell at me?"

When he didn't answer, she gently pushed his shoulder. "Santh?" She took her index finger and began to softly play with his inner ear to get a reaction out of him. "Talk to me. Tell me how wrong I am about something that I am certain I am right about."

He smacked her hand away but said nothing to her.

In another attempt, she blew in his ear. "You want to get out of here and get raunchy behind the dorm?"

Santh licked his bottom lip and tried his best not to roll his eyes, but still maintained his silence.

Lenore frowned, and looked down at her ale tankard. She didn't understand what had caused the man to go from snapping at her about every little thing to not even speaking a single word to her. She began to drink her ale in silence as she decided eventually he wouldn't be able to hold it in any longer.

When she quit, Santh looked over at her and found the look of sadness upon her face. He couldn't believe she was upset that he wasn't talking to her, but thought perhaps that she thought he was angry with her when in truth he was simply keeping to his bet. A thought came to mind, and he turned to face her.

"Anton's archery is vastly improved."

Lenore looked confused at the sudden attempt to speak to her, and in a tone she wasn't used to hearing when he was addressing her. "Yes, it has. Though, he still fires the bow as if he has breasts in the way of his shot."

A smirk appeared on the man's face. "I have noticed that. Perhaps you should tell him that his orbs are between his legs."

Lenore laughed, "What about Jolon? For a carpenter, his upper body strength is rather pitiful."

"Oh, is this a competition now? I guarantee my boy will rank higher than your own in their chosen field." Santh down a gulp of his ale.

"Do you? Very well, what are the bets?"

"Are you certain you wish to humiliate yourself like this?" He turned on his stool.

She gave a firm nod, "Oh, humiliation is my specialty, dear sir. What will it be then? What could the great Santh want from his Princess?"

"If I win, you can no longer kiss me or touch me at all. You will respect my personal space. Also, no more telling others that we are lovers or embarrassing me in any such manner" He took another swig.

She chuckled, "You would miss my caresses within hours, but very well. If I win, then you can no longer lecture me about the way I choose to live my life. And since you had a second, so shall I. You will walk me to class, carrying my books, every day until the next tournament." She offered out her hand and Santh gave it a firm shake. "With that pathetic upper body of Jolon's, this will be the easiest bet I have ever won."

"We shall see about that."

---***---

"Return to the dorm, I will be there shortly." Remus told Ophelia as they walked through the torch lit pathways. He had seen one of his mules who had given him direct eye contact, and knew that meant he needed to speak with him.

Ophelia nodded her head, and began her journey home. There were few students on campus at that time, and those that were being dragged home drunk by those that weren't. As she approached the flower filled courtyard that lead to the pathway of her dorm, a large figure stood up from the bench. She knew immediately who it was, as only one person had that intimidating figure.

"Please, don't speak to me." Ophelia chanted underneath her breath and even tried to hold up her hand over her face as she moved toward the dorms.

"You there!" Krius barked.

His words stopped her in her tracks, and she turned to watch him approach her.

"It has been days since I ordered you to relay my message to your Princess. Was this done?" He crossed his arms. His fiery glare made Ophelia feel like she would burst into flames at any moment.

"I did, milord. She said something about not falling for that again, and then told us not to worry. I assumed she meant that she would deal with you later." She could barely look him in the eyes when she spoke.

"Inform her, that this is highly important and sensitive information. She must be informed of this before she is fooled by her own brother. Can you be trusted not to breathe a word of this to anyone else but the Princess Lenore?" His voice was firm and every time he punctuated a word, Ophelia would shiver slightly.

"You should ask that before you tell the information." She mumbled.

"What did you say?"

She swallowed, "Yes, I can be trusted. I will tell..."

"Adviser Krius, what a pleasure." Remus approached them and placed his arm over Ophelia's shoulder. He could see that she was scared and needed to be comforted, but it was also a way to show ownership over the girl.

Krius seemed to understand that connotation of Remus' action. "Indeed, a pleasure." His voice was slightly less frightening for the girl standing in front of him. "I asked the lady to inform the Princess Lenore of my desire to speak with her in private, but she never appeared in my study."

"From what I understand, milord," Remus began, "the Princess has no interest in speaking with you or being in private with you. I do not know what has caused her to be so offended by your very presence, but I am sure the Fox could find out if you do not know."

The large man's eyes turned from cold to worry in an instance. "That will be unnecessary." He turned his attention back to Ophelia, "It is important that I speak with her. Tell her to send an agent she trusts if she wishes not to see me, as I need to relay this information immediately."

Ophelia nodded. "Yes, I will."

"Her name is Ophelia Romanus." Remus informed him.

Krius knew why he was being told this. He bowed his head. "Thank you, Lady Romanus." With that he turned around and marched away.

"Try to steer clear of him in the future. He is not a pleasant man to be alone with." Remus warned her as he released his hold of her shoulder. "Shall we?" He motioned for the pathway.

Ophelia sighed in relief as they began to walk away from the court. A daisy appeared before her that Remus has plucked from the garden. She smiled and took it from him with a word of gratitude.

---***---

Lenore laughed as she walked down the pathway next to Santh. The two had spent the evening discussing their apprentices stances and other issues, even going so far as to offer practical advice to one another. Neither let it slip passed them that they were actually talking to each other as friends, rather than rivals, but for fear of spoiling the moment they both chose not to bring the topic up.

"The Lady Iliaissa is your aunt, isn't she?" Lenore chuckled and bent over on the empty pathway to laugh. "I met her at a castle party once."

"Did you? Charming as ever, I suppose?" Santh knew there was a story coming.

"I must have been ten years old. I was carrying this bean mash that a foreign diplomat had brought as a gift, and she stepped in front of me. The mash fell all over her dress." She watched Santh smile in satisfaction, "Of course, I was horrified, but she looked as if though I had just slain her child in front of her. Queen Aletta took notice of the incident, and I had no doubt that I would be ejected from the party when your aunt slapped me across the face and informed the entire party that the little bastard did it on purpose."

"She slapped you?" Santh looked quite shocked.

Lenore nodded as she plucked a flower from one of the beds she walked by and then began to pull the petals from it. "The queen immediately came to my side, but she had too much decorum to slap one of her guests. She informed her that no matter who my parents were and whether or not they were married, that I was now her child and that she took great offense when anyone referred to me as a bastard. Though she had too much grace to speak the actual word in polite company, but I can not remember her exact wording. She then banned Lady Iliaissa from ever entering the castle."

"I have always wondered why she and her husband no longer attended the royal balls. She always bragged about going to them every month." Santh chuckled.

Lenore's cheerful voice vanished and her grin withered. "It was the only time in my life that the queen ever did anything nice for me, and I am certain she only did it because she wanted to look righteous in front of her fellows."

"My aunt didn't even bother to show me a kindness in front of strangers, let alone her social group. She loathed me, and made no qualms about showing just how much." Santh explained as they arrived at the flowered court. "She..."

"Princess Lenore." Krius stood from one of the benches and walked over to them.

Santh watched the woman beside him stiffen, and even attempt to hid behind one of his arms though she was too prideful to fully do so.

When the large man stopped in front of him, he looked to Santh. "This is a private matter, excuse yourself."

He looked down at the woman half hiding her face behind him and then back up to the man in front of him. "I prefer to stay. If the Princess Lenore wishes for me to go, then and only then will I take my leave."

Krius frowned deeply and looked to Lenore to tell the man to leave, but she said nothing. "Lenore, we must speak. Your brother is..."

"Stop bothering me, Krius. If I have told you once then I have told you a thousand times, I do not wish to speak to you or even be near you." Lenore barely even looked at him as she spoke. "Also, you are my brother's adviser, you shouldn't be informing me of his activities at all. That is treason."

His jaw clenched as he listened to her words, before his eyes met with Santh who didn't appear intimidated by him. "Princess..."

"Take your leave, Krius. I have had my say." She waved him away.

"My lady..."

"Begone!" Lenore shouted but seemed to hide more behind Santh the more she spoke to the adviser.

He inhaled deeply, "Very well, but when the moment of realization occurs be it tomorrow or twenty years from now, remember that I attempted to warn you." With that he turned around to begin his march back to the Royal Dorms.

Lenore immediately stepped out from behind Santh. She looked flustered, and couldn't look Santh in the eyes. "Let's return to the dorm. It has been a long evening, and I wish to sleep."

He had several questions, but decided that she would never answer them. Though as they walked the short distance back to the dorms, a hundred scenarios for why she feared the man went through his mind. None of them pleased him and all were but a simple hypothesis.

---***---

Anton and Jolon stood up when they heard footsteps coming down the hall. Ophelia was the first to appear around the corner followed by Remus. She seemed upset as Remus placed his hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

"That damnable brute was waiting for me outside the dorms again." Ophelia told Anton.

He sighed partly in relief and partly in annoyance. "Didn't Lenore tell us that she would deal with him?" Anton took a couple steps forward and placed his hand on her free shoulder. "Are you alright?"

"I do not care what Lenore says, that man may be the Prince's dog, but whether he bites or not, he terrifies me to the bone." Ophelia reached out her arms and hugged Anton who was standing in front of her. Anton hugged her in return without looking surprised in the least.

Jolon and Remus gave each other glances, curious as to why these two felt comfortable enough to embrace each other. Ophelia began to lightly cry into the man's shirt.

Remus felt the tightness in his chest again, and began to speak. "Do not worry about that man again. I will ensure that if he has anything to say to Lenore that he comes to me, and no one else in this dorm."

"How can you make an adviser to the Prince do anything?" Anton asked with anger in his voice that was directed toward Krius, but the other two men thought it was directed toward Remus.

Remus leaned against the door frame, "I am the second son of the Merchant's Guild leader. There is a certain balance to maintaining a polite relationship. In the past when a ruler has caused trouble for the guild leader, there have been a number of "bandits" and other issues that prevented the flow of goods. Granted, this is not a power that one can use often, but I doubt in this situation such extreme tactics will be needed. If Krius doesn't wish to come to me then I will go to the Prince, and I am certain the Prince Lesatan would appreciate hearing that Krius is warning the Princess about his plans."

A set of footsteps could be heard down the hall, and Remus stepped back to see who had returned. Routine looked disheveled. His hair was not nicely set and several of his shirt buttons were undone. He barely looked like their room mate at all.

"Ah, Routine, would know. As the first born of the Souchan's Guild Leader, isn't their a polite relationship that must be kept in order to maintain balance? The king may command all, but it is his..." Remus cut himself off when he watched Routine stepped into his dorm and shut the door without a word. "Hmm, he didn't even bother to correct his name."

"He looked upset." Anton noted as Ophelia released him and looked down the hall.

"What could upset him so?" She asked.

Remus motioned for them to step inside the room, so Routine couldn't over hear them talking about him. Even before the door could close, more footsteps were heard and Santh and Lenore appeared in the hallway.

"Krius bothered Ophelia once more." Anton snapped at her.

"Yes, he was waiting for me when I arrived home." Lenore ignored the anger directed toward her. "He shouldn't bother us any longer."

"Routine is upset. He was a mess upon returning home." Ophelia informed her.

The Princess looked down the hall. "When did he arrive?"

"Just moments before you did." Jolon, who had been quiet through all this, finally decided to join in.

Lenore looked surprised by that response. "He must have sneaked passed when we were speaking to Krius." She turned to enter her own room.

"Shouldn't you speak with him?" Ophelia held worry in her voice. "He looked almost as if he had been in a brawl."

"If Byron wants us to know what has happened he will inform us." Lenore shut her dorm door behind her without another word.

Santh's eyes turned to Remus who was smirking ear to ear. "Decide what favor I owe you, spawn of the great demon."