Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 3

Spending the afternoon reading Kristian's novel, Kailin set her alarm to go off right before dark. When the buzz of her alarm told her that it was time to dress herself for the party, she gladly threw the book down onto her bed. Kristian may have been a great non-fiction novelist, but he was terrible at character development and creating real conversations.

Taking a quick shower, she pulled out her white lacy dress. She knew Gabrielle would harass her about anything but perfection, and she would rather get this evening over with. She placed her hair in a bun, and used a curling iron to make large curls around her face. If she didn't they would become little fuzz balls, after the curls were set, she spray her hair with as much hair spray as she thought she would need. Sometimes, she was glad to of made it to this century, when she was a little girl, all she could do was hope it didn't frizz up.

After her make-up was on, she check her hair one last time, and made sure the lace of her dress fell over her knees and shoulder's correctly. When she was satisfied, she placed on her white heels, and went out into the living room. Gabrielle had called to her several times, so she knew that she was awake and ready to go.

She found Gabby in front of her door in a long red dress and heels, she asked immediately for assistance with her hair. Which Kailin reluctantly helped her with by placing large curlers into her hair, so she could have a large wave in her hair.

"You look so conservative, Kai, only showing a little bit of your legs and your arms."

"Your legs are covered."

Gabrielle grinned, "But my cleavage isn't, and only have spaghetti straps."

Kailin rolled her eyes, and walked over to the phone to call a cab. "Let's just go. I'm not changing."

"Fine, fine. Be that way then, but don't complain to me when..."

"I won't, let's go, cab should be here soon."

Kailin grabbed her purse, and then opened the door and looked down the hall to see if Mrs. Kraig was in the hall barking at anyone dumb enough to walk to or from the elevator. The hall was empty, so Kailin rushed down to the elevator with Gabrielle close at her heels. Pressing the down button, they both stood stomping their feet, and looking over their shoulder. When the elevator doors dinged, they both heard the sound of a door opening behind them. Practically jumping into the elevator, Gabrielle pressed the lobby button, right as they heard the voice.

"Miss Drake! Miss Montre!" Mrs. Kraig voice called out, as the elevator doors began to close.

Gabrielle pretended to try and stop the door, but was to slow to catch them. She grinned when the doors closed on the old woman hanging half way out her door. "I hate that old bitch."

"Gabby!"

She shrugged, "What? There is no other word for her."

Kailin grinned towards the elevator doors, when Gabrielle looked away a little ashamed of her choice of words.

When the doors opened, Gabrielle looked down at Kailin's black purse and sighed. "I can't believe you are using that purse with that dress!"

"I can't believe you care!" Kailin retaliated as they walked out of the building to wait for their cab.

---***---
After an hour and a half drive, they pulled up to a Victorian mansion, Kailin liked the stylish look it had to it, while Gabrielle mentioned that it was a little old-fashioned for Phillip. Stepping inside, her coat was practically ripped from her body by coat check. Another set of double doors stood before her, as she walked in, she spotted the short man in his black suit, greeting all the guests as they entered. His smile widened as Kailin entered into his view, she returned the grin.

"Kailin!" Phillip screeched as he wrapped his arms around her, and then stepped back still holding her upper arms, "I didn't expect you to come, with your invitation being sent so late!" As he spoke he reached back to a one of the servers holding a basket of yellow and white carnations. He pinned a white one to the strap of her dress.

She rose her eyebrow at him, "What?"

"Your invitation fell between my desk and the wall, my cleaning lady found it the other day. A friend of mine took it to the mailbox right then, I didn't expect it to actually make it to you. I should of called, but… busy, busy, busy. You know how it is." He smiled and looked over at Gabrielle who was grinning beside her. "And you slut! Now, you I expected, you could smell a party a continent away!"

She laughed as they hugged, then he pinned the same colored flower to Gabrielle's dress. "You look fantastic, Phillip."

"Oh thank you." He turned to look at the tall man behind him with graying hair, "This is my father, Robert."

"Nice to meet you." Kailin smiled, and shook his hand, and Gabrielle followed her lead.

Phillip's finger went to the younger man beside his father, another man dressed in a black suit and tie. Kailin hadn't noticed him before, if she had she would of left the building immediately. He looked so much like him, but it couldn't possibly be him. He had to be in his sixties by now, and this man before her was barely in his thirties. Every feature nearly the same, the strong jaw, the dark almond hair, and the soft brown eyes.
"This is Lucas Stark, the son of a dear friend of my fathers. He was my friend growing up back in California." Phillip said.

James Stark's son, the police officer she ran from Damon with. Kailin swallowed and she shook his hand as well, "Pleasure to meet you."

"Pleasure is all mine." Lucas said, as Gabrielle forced his attention to her, by grabbing his hand and giving her most seductive smile.

"Well, that's everyone. Why don't you two girls go mingle, plenty of men around here to bite into." He said jestfully, then growled and
snapped his teeth at Gabrielle, who mimicked him. Quickly, they exchanged kisses on the cheek, then walked towards the back of the large dance hall.

"Was that who I think it was?" Gabrielle asked, referring to Lucas. "I think so, James told me about his son once, but I didn't pay any attention to his name."

"What the fuck is he doing all the way out here?"

Kailin looked over and down at the red-headed friend beside her, "His family bloodline is vampire hunter, he could sense them here. Whether he knows it or not, Gabby."

She ignored the answer as she really didn't care that much, and began surveyed the room, "Well, as Phillip put it, plenty of men to bite into, I'll see you at the end of the night."

"You are just going to abandon me, why did I even bother coming?"

---***---
"Cause it would of looked awkward had I showed up alone. Anyway, I don't hunt in packs, deal with it, Kai." Gabrielle giggled as she walked away, and into the crowd on the dance floor.

Kailin's eyes searched the white room, there were several tables lined out with appetizers, and waiters carrying both wine glasses and more food. The room was packed, even the small rooms that were connected were filled with people who preferred to chat instead of dance or speak over the large crowd.

She found her way out to the balcony that was empty because of the chilly nights winds. Placing her purse on the bench, she walked over to the edge of the balcony. Her breath formed around her lips, as she looked over the balcony into the backyard. A pool as well as other average backyard equipment were laying about neatly. Beyond that were trees, bushes, and flowers, she thought she heard the sound of a fountain but couldn't see it.

The creek of the balcony doors called out behind her, she turned her head in time to see Lucas standing at the doorway.

"Mind if I come out here?"

She shook her head and returned to leaning against the railing.

He stepped in and shut the doors behind him, locking out the nose from the party. "Cold night." He said rubbing his arms, and then came to stand next to her.

"I've seen colder."

Silence fell over there for a few moments, as they looked out over the backyard. "My name is Lucas Stark." He said, and then lowered his head. "But you already know that."

"Kailin Drake." She replied, and ignored his hand when he offered it.

"Phillip told me about how you helped out a lot in that civil war movie that he directed." He cleared his throat when he got no response, "Must be exciting to work on movie sets, and help create a movie. You must meet a lot of famous people."

Turning her head, she watched his speak. "I don't work with people as much as you would think."

He rose his eyebrow, "Oh?"

"People annoy me, it's why I mostly work with books, and let my manager deal with the human counterparts."

Lucas grinned, "That's rather honest of you to say so."

"And what is it that you do, Mister Stark?"

"Please, call me Lucas. I am a detective, I moved out here a couple months ago from LA."

"Why go from one hell pit to another?"

Again he grinned, "I don't know, always wanted to see New York. When I heard they needed some help with some murders I couldn't resist to apply." "You mean the Bloody Hands' murders?"

He stared at her for a moment as if he was trying to sum her up, "Well, yeah."

"Why do they call them that?"

Again his eyes fixed onto her own for a moment, "Because most of the crime scenes have bloody hand prints all over the walls, floors, and anything else in the building."

"Same size hands every time?"

He chuckled, "Strange for you to be interested in such a thing. Most people want to know if there are any suspects, or how far we've…"
"Well, I ask because if they aren't then it could be the victim's handprints instead of the killers."

Lucas bit his lower lip for a moment, "What makes you think they are victims?"

"Cause I don't believe they could convince that many people, that quickly to kill themselves. People are being murdered by the hundreds every week, and I heard that there are many who aren't from around the area, a lot of them are tourist."

"Media gets a hold of information, and tells to much. It hurts our case…"

"Could also help civilians come forth with new information."

Lucas smiled, "This has to be the most interesting first conversation I've ever had with anyone, normally it's all small talk. You just jump right in there, don't you?"

"You are trying to change the subject."

"Yes, yes, I am."

"So, you just felt like you should be out here?" She asked, trying to keep the conversation off of her.

"Yes, sounds strange doesn't it?"

Kailin shook her head, a small percentage of humans born carry the vampire hunter gene. One parent has to be one themselves, there are no throw back genes. If the parent is one, then the child will become one. Not all vampire hunters were alike, and it isn't a matter of choice either. Some could understand the difference between a Hallowed and a Mephis, while others could not. James Stark was one that could see the good in some vampires, while Damon Anderson was incapable, and believe all vampires should die to stop the burden on the human race.

He cleared his throat again, when Kailin returned to staring out into the darkness. "Not much of a party person?"

"No, I would prefer to be home with a book."

"Your friend seems to be more the type."

"Who Gabby?" Kailin looked at him then nodded, "Yes, she is very sociable."

"Excuse me." A waiter said from the balcony door, neither of them had heard it open. "Could I offer either of you some wine?" He asked, holding out his tray with several wine glasses left.

"Sure." Lucas said before Kailin could answer and took both of the glasses. "Thank you."

Looking past Lucas to the tall, slender waiter, she didn't know why she hadn't noticed him before. This man would be her meal tonight, she decided as she grinned at him; taking the glass from Lucas' hand. The waiter had beat his wife until she had a miscarriage, she could see the haunting of that moment replaying itself in his mind. He felt neither remorse nor sympathy for what he had done, and in Kailin's mind that made him a perfect meal.

When he shut the door, Kailin turned to Lucas and offered him her glass, "Could you hold this for a moment, I need to run to the restroom."

"Of course, you are coming back right? If you aren't say so now, so I don't stand out here in the cold, holding two glasses of wine like a drunkard." His voice tried to sound like he was joking, but Kailin could hear the seriousness in his voice.

She really didn't plan on coming back, but now knew she would feel guilty if she didn't return. "I said I would come back and I will." She snapped, and with that walked back into the main hall to locate her prey.

The slender man passed out the last of the wine, and then headed back into the cellar after, what Kailin assumed was his supervisor, whispered into his ear. Following him down into the darkness of the cellar, she stopped short when she heard another person in the room across from her.
"Greg, take out the trash will ya?" He asked.

Her prey gave a nod, "The asshole already told me to." He snapped back, as he lifted up two trash bags full of wine bottles.

"No smoke break, we are too busy for that right now."

He rolled his eyes, and then headed towards the back of the cellar. Watching the man across from her check wine bottle labels, she waited until he turned his back and slipped past the door into the darkness.

The waiter had already opened the cellar door that led out into the backyard, and was on his way to the trash bins. Silently, calmly, she stalked him waiting for him to be the perfect range away from the house, so that no one would hear him cry out, if he did. When she was satisfied, she merely reached out and touched his shoulder. There were times when she wanted her prey to look into her eyes, just before she took their lives, so they knew who was punishing them for their foul deeds.

Greg was startled by the sudden hand on his shoulder, and jumped forward while dropping the trash bags. He tripped over them, and fell to the ground with a thud as the bottle made clanks as the banged and broke against each other. Flipping over to his back, he propped himself up on his hands.

"Wha…wha…what do you want?" he stuttered.

She could heard the sound of his heart beating with fury, he was scared and unsure, even though she posed no threat, not at that moment.
"You… you were on the balcony." He swallowed when he felt the threat had vanished, "Listen," standing up he snapped, trying to expect the damage of the bags, "I'll bring you some more wine in a god damn minute, lady."

Reaching out she grabbed his collar, and yanked him towards her. The scent of blood entered her nostrils, and she looked down to see that one of the bottles had stabbed him in the leg when she pulled him over. The fear returned to his eyes, and it seemed he felt no pain in those moments.

He didn't have to look down to know he wasn't touching the ground anymore, and he felt as if his heart were beating inside his throat. His hands wrapped around her own, to support himself up so that his clothes didn't choke him.

"Tell me, Greg, when you beat your wife, did she beg you to stop? Did she beg for herself? Beg for her unborn child?" Kailin's words were a low hiss.

"Oh god, my wife sent you to kill me." His voice was shaking.

She grinned, "Answer my question."

"Y…yes." he said with a large gulp.

"Then beg, Greg. Beg for tomorrow, beg for next year. Beg to look into her eyes again, beg for it." She shook him once harshly, and he sequenced with pain as the shard of glass exited and re-entered his wound. "Beg for your life."

"Please god, don't kill me." The words made his eyes close, and tears began to stream down his face. "I won't tell anyone about this I swear to god, just please, don't kill me."

"You speak of god, often, yet you don't act like a man of religion."

"I am, I am, I swear it." His nose sniffled, "Please, I promise…"

"Greg, when your wife begged, did you stop? Or did you continue until sanity final revealed itself to you once again?"

"No." His gray eyes opened to look into Kailin's and then closed again. "Please, don't kill…"

From the corner of her eye she saw a movement in the darkness, turning her head, she looked towards the bushes. The dark shadow figure fled, leaving no trace of who the masculine figure was other then the outline of a sword at his side. Kailin had seen the figure before many times, and though it made her curious as to why she never felt another vampire or human near. She looked back at the waiter, who was looking at the bushes, most likely seeing her mysterious shadow stalker. "Why should I show you any more mercy then you showed her?" She asked, giving him a quick shake to turn his attention back to her.

Slowly looking back to her, he gave a slow gulp. He had no answer.

"Fear not, your pain will be short lived, hers will last a lifetime." With that she brought him close to her, the glass shard ripped through his skin, leaving a large gash. He felt his feet touch the ground, and thought for a moment he could escape. But her arms surrounded him, and all he could feel was a small pinch at his neck. His eyes refused to show anything but the blackness, then he went numb. There was no pain, no emotion, there was no life or death. There was nothing but darkness, and emptiness in this vampire's embrace.

His heart stopped, with that his life had ended. Kailin picked up his body and laid it as if he were carrying the bags and collapsed. Humans had made it so easy for vampires to survive, except for Mephis all fang wounds healed leaving no trace of their existence. Humans had decided that it was a disease, that one didn't know they had until it was to late. She never caught the name, but they believed the blood creating cells ceased to function, and the person eventually would pass out and die. It was suppose to be a quickly occurring disease, most likely within a few days of appearing. She laughed when they had announced their theory in it being genetic, and how they could only study cadavers to find a cure.

---***---
Kailin snuck back into the mansion the same way she had exited, and found her way back to the balcony. Lucas sat on the marble bench looking down at his feet, most likely trying to decided whether he should wait for her any longer. His head shot up with a grin when she stepped outside, and closed the balcony doors.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming back." He said offering her the wine glass.

"I do not drink alcohol." She told him, holding out her hand to stop him.

His dark eyes looked down at the glass of wine, and then back up to her. "Guess, I'll drink it then." He cleared his throat as she walked to the end of the balcony, "So, you are having dinner too?"

"Why would you think that?"

Lucas took a step closer to her as he drank the glass of wine in one mouthful. "You are wearing a white carnation, so that the waiters can help pick you out." He pointed at her flower, and noticed a slight imperfection in the flower. One of the petals had a L design cut into it, most likely from a bug. "And how am I suppose to know that through a flower?" She frowned, looking at the white carnation attached to his dress jacket.
"It's in your invitation, the flower should match the card."

Kailin picked up her purse from the bench, and pulled the invitation out. "Kailin Drake and guest." She shrugged and offered it to him.

He didn't take it. "White is dinner."

"Once again, how are you suppose to know that if it doesn't even say it in the card?" She held back a growl.

A grin played on Lucas' face, and she realized that he found her amusing. "It's in the card, but they are different colors." He said taking the card from her, and opening it up. "Kailin Drake and guest, are invited to a dinner gathering." Releasing the grin, he handed it back to her.

Kailin snatched it from his hand and stuffed it back in her purse, and little embarrassed from being corrected by the human. "I see." Composing herself, she decided to turn the conversation onto him, "Why did you want to know?"

"I'm having dinner, as well. I was just curious to whether or not you would be joining us at the table. Perhaps, we can sit..."

"Ah, there you are, you naughty girl." Gabrielle called out as she busted through the balcony doors, allowing the cacophony noise of the ballroom to flood in. "Look who I found." She pointed to the blonde man behind her with her thumb. It was Kristian from that afternoon, dressed in a black suit and tie, still wearing his sunglasses. "He was just standing all alone in a corner with nothing to do, so I said to myself. Kai, didn't properly introduce us early, and we just can't have that, now can we?" She gave a devious smile to Kristian, letting him know that she was purposely provoking her friend. Her eyes then wandered over to Lucas, as if she hadn't seen him standing there beside Kailin from the moment she walked in. "Well, well, if it isn't...um...Lucas, right?"

"Yes. I'm sorry I didn't catch your name from before."

Gabrielle frowned, "I remembered yours"

"Gabby, what do you want?" Kailin said trying to stop her and save Lucas at the same time.

"Just wanted to drag Kristian here to see you, and here I find you with a man. I am shocked, Kai, shocked!"

Both Lucas and Kailin gave her a questioning look, which she seemed to be pleased with.

Turning her head to Lucas, she answered their stares. "I expected Kai to go lurk in the shadows somewhere and then complain for the next week about how bored she was. Actually, mingling, that's just... well not right."

Kailin rolled her eyes, and then turned her attention to Kristian. "What are you doing here?" She tried to hide the venom in her voice, but it was clearly there.

"My superior was invited, and he asked me to join him."

She crossed her arms, "I suppose I have you to thank for the invitation here."

He looked shocked for a moment, and then seem to abandon his original plan. "Well, Phillip asked my boss to drop it off in the mailbox on his way out. Since he knew I was coming to visit you anyway, he thought you'd get it..."

"Yeah, I can fill in the rest. How did you know I would actually come?" She turned her eyes to Gabrielle, "Are you part of this?"

She sighed and threw her hands up, "Yeah, Kai, we are all part of this evil, world dominating plot to get you to come out of your room and have fun. Devious, devious, I say!" She stopped when she realized that Lucas was watching the conversation with intensity. "Ahem, anyway, this isn't the place nor the company in which we should discuss such matters." She mumbled the words, but they were audible.

"Are you?"

"No, damn it, Kailin, no!" Gabrielle tried to keep the friendly tone in her voice. "It was on the top and probably the only party happening tonight, so I picked it."

Kailin's cold facial features softened, "Alright, be calm."

"Kristian and I are going to head back out there. It was a pleasure meeting you again, Lucas." Gabrielle extended her hand and Lucas shook it.

"Pleasure was mine."

"That's so sweet of you to say." She turned to Kailin, "And you, have fun? Won't kill you to pretend your life isn't a chaotic hell for once." Twirling around she headed towards the balcony doors, "Come now, Kristian. Time to introduce you to more people that I don't know."

Kristian trailed behind her, and closed the door, shutting out the noise. Kailin waited wanting to read Lucas' mind to see what he was thinking, but decided not to intrude on his thoughts. And though it was only a few moments, she wondered what he was going to say, after all that had occurred in front of him.

"Not the person I would expect to be your best friend." Lucas finally said.

"Who says she is my best friend?"

He shrugged, "Got that best friend, said anything you want to each other and not get hurt, vibe."

"I see."

"She's quite the social butterfly, isn't she?"

"She's some kind of bug, not sure if it's a butterfly." Kailin said, and then turned to lean on the railing again.

The sound of the ballroom flew out onto the balcony, both beings looked at Phillip who grinned at both of them. Kailin didn't like the look he gave, it reminded her of when they were on the movie set and he got a great idea for a scene. Normally, she had to tell him no because it didn't work with that time period.

"Lucas, I have some people I want you to meet." Phillip turned his eyes back to him.

"Alright." he nodded, and then looked at Kailin. "Well, it was a pleasure talking to you." He held out his hand for Kailin to shake, "Perhaps, we'll meet again."

"Perhaps." Kailin answered, then turned back to look at the backyard, she could see the waiter from the basement walking towards where she had left the body.

Lucas walked past Phillip, and when he was out of earshot, she heard Phillip chuckle. "He's a good man." Phillip said.

Kailin turned her head to him and gave a nod.

"Like him?"

"Don't try anything, Phillip."

He chuckled again, "Alright, dinner is in ten minutes. You should find the dinning hall, it's near the coat room on the right." With that he shut the door.

She looked back to the yard, and watched the waiter running back to the mansion. She hoped that it would disrupt the dinner, so that she could go home. Giving a deep sigh, as the man disappeared from sight, she began the short journey to the dinning hall.

Chapter 4: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=183