Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 9

Slowly her eyes opened, she found herself under the soft down blanket. She pushed it off her and sat up, placing her feet on the ground. For a moment, she forgot where she was and what had happened. When she remembered she felt both embarrassed and angry that she had been tricked by the elder, but that didn't matter right now. Gabrielle needed that blood, and as she stood up, she looked out at the sun that was shining through the window. How long had she been asleep? The act of turning her head to look out the window, reminded her of the pain her neck now had. She placed her fingers on the wounds that were still open on her neck. It was impossible that they hadn't healed by now. She went to look in the mirror, and her touch was proven true. They hadn't healed like her wounds should have, they weren't bleeding anymore, but that had actually scabbed over some. The last time she had a scab was as a human.

"Those will take some time." Tzion's deep voice said.

She flipped around a little surprised and found him sitting in the small pool.

"As an Elder, I am much stronger of the mind and body then you are. Therefore, my wounds are much harder for your own body to deal with. But do not worry, when you finally become what I am they will heal immediately like they should."

"I am not worried, as it won't happen again." She looked at the dresser where the vial of blood was, it was gone. Her eyes flew over the top of it checking the area, then shot back to Tzion.

"Do not worry, it was old and had lost it healing properties if you will. Before you go, I will give you another one."
"I must leave now, Gabrielle doesn't have much time."

He stepped out of the pool, grabbing a dark red robe that hung from the wall. As he tied the belt, he walked towards her. When he was within reach, he rubbed her cheek, "Have you made a decision?"

"I need that blood vial, Lord Tzion."

He nodded, and then took her right hand, he pressed the vial into it. "Succumb to me, Caitlyn, and learn your true strengths." He walked towards the door slowly and when he got to it, he turned his head and gave a grin, "Be careful around Mathias, Caitlyn, he is not to be trusted. Perhaps, one day I shall tell you why." He said, before vanishing down the hallway.

Once she was sure he was gone, and wouldn't be in the hallway. She grabbed her cloak and tied it back on. Her shoes were off, and she searched everywhere for them. They weren't under the bed or in the closet, she finally decided that Tzion must have some sick shoe fetish and gave up the search. She ran down the hallway, stopping only once to pick up the vial after it slipped from her finger tips. She was afraid, her mind wasn't right, and her strength felt reduced greatly. It was her normal strength, but last night she had become stronger and more powerful for a few moments. It was something she wanted to feel again, but knew that it was wrong.

She knew that blood exchanges between a elder and fresh were forbidden. No one had ever told it why it was, but she was sure that it did something damaging. After all an elder was much stronger then a fresh, perhaps she could of died. The front door appeared in front of her, and she felt relief for the first time since she arrived.

She soon found herself out in the yard and running through the lawn, she stopped at gate that opened as she approached. Shrugging, she walked out, happy that she didn't have to leap over it. The wind blew slightly, but not nearly as harshly as it had done the night before. She was worried that she wouldn't get the vial to Gabrielle soon enough.

She couldn't leap from building to building in broad day light, and would have to walk close enough to the city to hail a cab. Her bare feet made plopping sounds as they hit the cold concrete of the sidewalk. As she reached the edge of Tzion's estate, there was a tree near the corner of the stone fence. It wasn't until she past it that she realized that it was hiding the large figure of her shadow stalker. His hand shot out and grabbed her arm.

"What were you doing in there?" Mathias asked, his hair was a mess probably from standing in the wind all night.

She took a moment to swallow her heart back down, and then pulled her arm from his grasp. "God damn it, you scared me." She snapped.

Mathias tried to hide his grin, as she collected herself.

"What the hell are you doing hiding behind trees for?"

"I was waiting for you to come out of there. What were you doing?"

"What business is it of yours? Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?" Kailin reached for the hood of her cloak and lifted it over her head. She didn't want Mathias to see the bite marks, but unfortunately the action brought his attention to them.

"What's that?" He went to grab her hood, but she jerked away.

He grabbed her arm again, and with his other hand went to pull the hood down, but Kailin yanked away. She made her own hood fall behind her, but he still couldn't see from the collar. She continued to jerk away from him, until he let go of her arm. About to run away, he grabbed her hair and yanked her closer to him. He pushed the collar down some to reveal the two large scabs on her neck.

Mathias pushed her away, "Tell me that was not from Tzion."

Kailin touched the wounds on her neck, she had almost run away, but decided to stand and fight him if need be.

"Kailin, tell me that you and Tzion didn't have a blood exchange!"

"It doesn't matter, I'll forget everything once I feed again. Besides, I need his blood for Gabrielle." She was sure that he didn't understand what had occurred or that Gabrielle was injured, but she spoke to him like he did.

"The knowledge, the memories, they are only temporary if you aren't Hallowed. That is why it's forbidden, it's too much power and knowledge for a fresh. You must earn it over time." Mathias' words were full of anger.

"I don't have time for this, I need to get back to Gabrielle." Kailin barked, and started heading down the street.

Mathias ran up beside her, and grabbed her upper arm, "Kailin, listen to me. Stay away from Tzion, he isn't to be trusted."

"That's funny, he said the same thing about you."

She went to pull her arm away again, but he kept a firm grip. As an elder he was many times stronger then she was. "Tzion is my master, I know many things about him that I am not permitted to share with you. However, I can say that he means to use you for his own devices."

"I need to get this blood to Gabrielle." She said, he was lying, she knew he was. There was no reason for Tzion to use her, besides she didn't have any desire or need to ever see the man again.

Mathias let her go, and she began to run down the street. "You could of asked for my blood, and I wouldn't of forced you into anything either."

Kailin stopped and turned around to look at him, "I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for you." She turned around and continued forward.

"I'm always within hearing range, Kailin!" He yelled out but wasn't sure if she was listening to him.

---***---
Getting to her apartment building, she went to reach for the front door after she punched in the code. A large hand reached in front of her and opened the door. She looked into Mathias' eyes, as he stood holding the door open.

"What do you want now?" She snapped.

"I need to speak with you."

She didn't say anything just looked at him, waiting for him to back down.

"And if that blood is stale, then at least you won't have to go back."

Kailin looked at the vial in her hand, and then back up to him. "Fine." She stepped inside, and headed for the elevator.

Mathias stayed close behind her.

As they stepped into the elevator he waited for the doors to close before he began to speak. "There is a lot you don't understand."

"I don't care." She snapped.

"You should, most of it involves you in some form or another."

Kailin looked over at the tall man, and then back at the elevator doors. "What do you mean?"

He grinned, a little pleased that she was now curious. "I will tell you much of it after you help Gabrielle."

The elevator doors dinged, and Kailin looked into Misses Kriag's eyes.

"There you are, Miss Drake, I've been beating on your door all day."

Kailin walked past her, "I don't have time for you right now, old woman." She snapped, and walked over to her apartment door.

Misses Kriag's eyes widen and her mouth dropped open, "How dare you!"

Kailin ignored her, and Mathias followed her lead. When she got the door opened, she allowed Mathias in before she slammed it shut.

Kristian walked out of Gabrielle's bedroom with a look of relief, that turned to anger when he saw Mathias standing near Kailin.

"What are you doing here, traitor?" Kristian growled.

"I should of know you were behind this, drone." Mathias' voice dripped with hate.

Kailin didn't have time for their argument, she shoved pass them and went into Gabrielle's room.

"I suppose it was your job to get her to Tzion at any cost."

Kristian folded his arms, "There isn't much time, the Mephis are growing stronger every day, Mathias. You should rejoin your master, he needs your help."

He chuckled, "Tzion is no longer my master, and I'll kill myself before I become one of his slaves again." They stared at each other for a moment, "Did you know you were sending her to a blood exchange?"

Kristian looked shocked for a moment, and then looked at the floor, then back up. "It had to be done, it's for the better good of…"

"The only one it's good for is Tzion. He is forcing her to become something she shouldn't be for a long time."

"You know nothing, traitor. You are ignorant…"

Mathias shook his head, "You follow blindly, when the truth is so clear to see."

Kailin stepped out of the bedroom shutting the door. Gabrielle had been asleep, she just lanced the wound with her blood and poured a small amount into her mouth. Hopefully, that would be all she would need.

Both men stopped arguing and turned to Kailin. "He is a traitor, Kailin. Send him away before he poisons your mind." Kristian ordered.

"Kailin, what happened to you at Tzion's is forbidden. He forced his memories, his life, and even his abilities on you." Mathias began, "He's trying to make you stronger before it's your time."

"I made the decision, I had to do it for Gabrielle." Kailin barked.

"It's addictive, you can never go back, Kailin. Blood exchanges make the fresh obsessed with the elder's blood. By doing that, some who aren't strong enough in the mind eventually try to kill the elder for their blood. It's forbidden, and I know you knew it was."

Kristian shook his head, "Tzion would never do anything like that to you, Kailin. Whatever he did was for your own good and safety. He's been trying to help you for a very long time now, he wouldn't do anything to hurt you."

Kailin remained silent for a moment, "Go watch her, Kristian." She said and pointed at Gabrielle's door.

"But…"

"Do as I say or leave." She barked, and when he left the room, she looked at Mathias. "I do not believe that Tzion would hurt me, but I feel very strange right now." She walked over to sit at the kitchen table. "My head is swimming with thoughts that aren't my own, and for some reason, I know you."

He nodded, and walked over to the table. "Tzion knows me, and he gave you some familiarity with me."

Kailin put her head into her hands, "I'm tired, I don't understand."

He took a seat, "Let me explain the basics, Kailin. Do you understand what a vampire is?"

She turned her head to look at him, "What do you mean?"

"Our bodies are only a container as both humans and vampires. When we receive the blood or saliva that mutates us into a vampire, much more happens then just dying. Our bodies contain two parts, the aura and the soul."

"I have heard something like this before."

"Tzion knows it, and therefore it should seem familiar to you." He continued, "The aura contains our memories, our choices, everything that makes us ourselves. But every human has two souls, one created by the Higher Being and a demonic soul. When we begin to turn, our soul is ripped from our bodies and replaced with the demon soul. The aura must be strong enough to control the soul."

"Are you saying that even Hallowed have demonic souls?"

He nodded, "It wouldn't be possible for a human soul to feed on humans the way we do. And therefore we are all given the ability to turn and have a demon soul. Upon our creation two souls are born, but the demon soul isn't used until we are turned."

"Why does the aura need to control the soul?"

He cleared his throat, "The soul is powerful, the demonic soul anyway. It is what gives elders their abilities and strengths. But it takes time for the aura to learn to control it, and that is why only after a thousand years do we form the abilities. Both the aura and the soul grow stronger, but if ever the aura were to be weaker then the soul, then the demonic soul would take over. Auras have a positive stance while the soul is negative, and therefore would become violent. A select few have negative auras, but if they do then their soul must be positive. Normally the soul will be the stronger of the two, but when it isn't in humans you get violent murders. While in vampires you get uncontrollable creatures, like the Mephis."

"So I am a demon?"

He nodded, "In a way, I tell you this because feeding from an elder gives abilities and powers to your soul. You are lucky that you have such a strong aura that the first time, didn't effect you. But I would be careful, Kailin. Tzion isn't one to think ahead about such matters. As a prophet he has a negative aura, but a positive demon soul. He has to in order to predict prophecies. As the demon soul paints them, but the aura interprets them."

Kailin stood up, "I need to rest, I can't handle all this right now."

Mathias nodded as she walked by, "Would you like me to stay until you awake?"

"No, and tell Kristian to get the hell out too. Both of you need to stay away from me, and out of my life." Her attitude changed abruptly, telling Mathias that she was fighting between Tzion's ways and her own.

She went into her bedroom, and shut the door. Mathias decided that he wouldn't leave, he wanted to stay and make sure she would be alright. As soon as he was sure of her safety, he would give his master a visit.

Chapter 10: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=189