Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 10

Kailin awoke from her rest, and sat up in bed. Placing her feet on the ground she looked at the mirror of the sliding closet door. Her sleep had been eventful. Every image was of Tzion, and it seemed the more she pushed him from her mind, the more forceful he would be in the next dream. She was too tired to deal with this, her aura was having to take on the added burden of a stronger soul. Energy that she had once used during life was now being used to control the demonic soul.

Standing up, she felt the presence of two Hallowed within her house. She frowned, she had told them to leave. Her feet stomped across the floor, and she flung open the door. Mathias was laying on the couch, his arms spread wide across the back of it, with his right foot resting on his left knee.

"I told you to leave." She growled.

He didn't seem phased but her anger, "I wanted to make sure you were alright."

Her eyes went to Gabrielle's door, when she saw it slowly open. Kristian stepped out, and shut the door behind him. "Gabrielle is feeling better." He told her, trying to remove the venomous glare that she gave him.

It worked, her features softened. "Is she awake?"

He nodded, "The outside wound has healed, and she's stopped coughing up blood. I think by tomorrow, she'll be good as new. I told you that Tzion just wanted to help."

Mathias shot up, twisting around to face Kristian, "Tzion never wants to help anyone but himself, and it would do you much good to remember that."

"Enough!" Kailin yelled. "Kristian say goodbye to Gabrielle, and you get out!" She pointed at Mathias.

Kristian immediately turned around and escaped into the bedroom. Mathias took his stance on the floor, "I need to make sure that you are alright."

"I'm fine, now get the fuck out of my home!" She snapped, reaching over she grabbed his arm and began pulling him around the couch and to the door.

He went with her, as he could of easily of kept his position.

"Don't follow me, don't watch me, and don't ever talk to me again!" She said as she opened the door.

She was about to push him out, when she looked at the two men in the hall. It was Jerry and Lucas. Jerry had his hand up about to knock on the door.

"You have visitors." Mathias said.

Kailin slowly looked at him out of the corner of her eye, "I can see that."

Lucas examined the large man, and then noticed that Kailin was holding onto him by his elbow.

"What are you doing here?" She asked both detectives.

Lucas cleared his throat. "We went to your office and the secretary said you hadn't been in for a week, so we decided to..."

"Ok, let me clarify what I mean. What do you want?" Kailin snapped.

"Well, there seems to be a problem. We have been trying to contact Kristian Milborough, but he isn't answering his phone or door."

Kailin sighed and rolled her eyes, "Kristian, get your ass out here now!" She yelled, and then turned to Mathias, "And you get your ass out of here forever." With that she pushed him through the two detectives.

"Kailin, you are going through something difficult. I just want to help." Mathias said from behind the two men.

"You can help by leaving me alone."

He nodded, "If you need me just call out." Turning towards the elevator he headed down the hall.

Kristian appeared from the bedroom, "You are being vulgar and pushy today." He said brushing off his coat.

"These men want to speak with you." She said, and he looked up from his jacket at them.

"Yes?"

"Mister Milborough?" Jerry asked.

"Yes."

Lucas clarified, "Kristian Milborough?"

He nodded, "Yes, that is me." he took a moment but then smiled, "Didn't I meet you at Phillip's party?"

Lucas nodded, "Yes, sir."

"Well, what can I do for you?"

Kailin interrupted Lucas from explaining, "Remember I told you that these detectives thought you were the victim from down the street."

"Oh, yes." Kristian laughed, "No, thankfully not. I heard on the news that it was a dreadful death, wolves were the final conclusion, yes?"

Jerry nodded, "That's what they are saying."

"We would appreciate it, if we could talk to you for a moment." Lucas said.

"Oh yes, of course." Kristian went to step aside, but Kailin grabbed his arm and shoved him out the door.

"Talk about it in the hall, or better yet out of the building. Good day and good bye, gentlemen." She snapped, and then shut the door.

Lucas looked over at Kristian with a puzzled look.

"Forgive her, Gabrielle has fallen ill and it's been stressful on her."

"Is that what the large man she was with was talking about?" Lucas asked.

Kristian rose an eyebrow, "Large man? Oh, Mathias."

He nodded, "Yes, he said she was going through a rough time."

"Yes, yes. Of course, Gabrielle's illness has taken a toll on everyone. Mathias, however, will find any excuse to get into Kailin's life. He pretends to care, but he really doesn't."

"An old boyfriend then?" Jerry asked.

Kristian looked at him and thought for a moment, "In a way, yes. Terrible man, be glad that you didn't have to
meet him directly. Now, could I buy you gentlemen some lunch and you can ask me what you will?"

Jerry shook his head, "We aren't allowed to take lunches from people we are investigating."

"Well, investigate and then I will buy you lunch. Come, there is a small Mexican restaurant down the street from here. They have some of the cutest waitresses in the city too." He elbowed Jerry playfully in the side. Turning around, he headed down the hallway with the two men following behind him.

---***---
Two days had past and Kailin found herself walking around the park, looking at the trees and wildlife. Her eyes wandered onto the humans, ignorant of the world around them. They didn't truly understand all the dangers that awaited them when they stepped from their house everyday. Everything they did was so menial, so unimportant, and tomorrow no one would remember them. They worked so hard for a future they would never see, and no one would remember that they were the ones that brought it to them. How she longed to be like that again.

Ignorance truly was bliss as a human. If they knew of the creatures that wanted to feed upon them, they would never leave their homes. Kailin had to step outside every time knowing what could be waiting for her. Like with Gabrielle, they knew the risks. It was far more rare now to run into a vampire hunter then it was two hundred years ago, but the risk was still there. One might find a Mephis or even a pack of Bowery waiting on them.

She didn't know what she would do without Gabrielle. The week had finally passed, and Gabrielle was back to her old self. But during that week, she felt lost and scared. She needed her by her side. Gabrielle was her friend, and even though she didn't appreciate her nearly enough, she loved her dearly. When she lost her sister, Gabrielle was the only one who dared entered her bedroom. She forced her out of the confines of those four walls, and made her live again. Leila had done that for her as well, back in the days when she lived with Nathaniel. She needed someone to stop her from hiding within herself.

Who would do that if Gabrielle was gone? No one, and she would be left a mere shell as she hid within the depths of her own mind. When the redhead finally got out of bed, she had to fight back the tears. Only Gabrielle truly knew what Kailin was inside. Scared, lonely, and sad. Being a human hadn't made her happy, but neither had been a vampire. She still remembered Zdenek's words. "You were meant to have something."

Pulling her from her thoughts was a familiar voice, and as she looked up the face came back from her nightmares. Damon Anderson stood in the distance, yelling at several young adults to run faster. He was training them, but for what? No one that was not born a vampire hunter could stand any chance against a strong vampire. The children from the night before only got the upper hand because they caught them off guard. Lycorisa must have been close by, blocking her senses.

Kailin knew she was safe, Damon wouldn't dare attack her in such a public place. A smile played on her lips as she walked over to him. He spotted her slowly walking over to him, blowing his whistle he called them over. The twelve teenagers all in jogging suits lined up in two rows of six, their hands behind their back.

"Kailin, what a pleasant surprise." He said, and then looked over at the teenagers, "This is a Hallowed, children."

Kailin looked at them, and realized that four of them were from the night Gabrielle was attacked. "You look much older then I remember you, Damon." She said looking back at him with a grin.

"I should you stole twenty years of my life from me." He smiled, "But you look exactly how I remember you to be. And probably exactly as my father and grandfather would remember you."

"Your father and grandfather have seen the error of their ways. I delivered them from that blindness." Kailin pushed back some hair that was blown from the wind.

"What is it you want? Do you wish to talk to my young friends here? Attempt to corrupt their minds?"

Kailin chuckled, "No Damon, I leave corrupting all their minds to you."

"You are a monster, Kailin." He snapped.

"Funny, I remember not long ago I was much like you or these children." She smiled at them, "Minds so impressionable, and having to hear your lies."

"I hear Gabrielle met her end by the hands of one of my students." He laughed, "Just a sweet taste of what is to come."

"Gabrielle is well, and just as alive as I am. Although, I have to admit they did do a good job of catching me off guard. A mistake that will not occur again." She smiled again at the four from that bloody night. "How did you know it was Gabrielle and me?"

Damon laughed, "A Pyrrhonian and a Hallowed, it could only be the two of you."

"You shouldn't hold such grudges, Damon. Such stress will shorten your life, if I don't do it first."

"You would like that."

Kailin pushed her hair back again, and looked at Damon, "I hear that you still haven't an heir. Could you be the end of the Anderson hunter line? I've heard of going out of demand, but never in such a manner."

"I am going to destroy you, evil beast, if it is the last thing I do."

"Don't try to sweet talk me." She smiled.

He glared at her, angrily.

Kailin smiled, "Damon, allow me to ask you a question with your new found teacher persona."

"Very well."

"What happens when a born vampire killer becomes a vampire himself?" She picked a piece of the bark from a nearby tree.

"Never heard of that happening."

She looked at him with a smile that showed him her teeth. Stepping towards him, he kept his ground, she knew he wouldn't back down. Kailin placed her mouth over his neck, and ran her teeth across his skin gently. He held still as if to show no fear, his students gasped some afraid for their leader. Her head slowly came up and she smiled at him looking into his eyes. Turning around she began to walk away with a new found skip to her step.

She turned around and began to walk backwards, "I think we will have to find out, don't you?"

"Anytime, Kailin. We shall meet for the end of all this."

She smiled and turned around, "Soon, Damon, very soon." She yelled and continued forward on the trail.

His eyes went to the teenagers behind them, "That is the most vicious of all vampires. They are smart and cunning, and should be feared above all else. Never befriend one and never turn your back on one. They are demons straight from the pits of hell." He snapped, "As for that one, she has killed every man born to my family for the past two hundred years. She is dangerous, and those of you who walked away from the battle with her, consider yourselves very lucky. Kailin is not known for her forgiveness, and with that in mind continue to watch your backs. She'll come for you eventually!"

They all stood with wide eyes, none speaking.

"Now, get back to running." He shouted, and then blew his whistle.

---***---
Walking out of the park, Kailin made her way across the street and onto the sidewalk. She wrapped her coat around her, making her way past a restaurant. When she got near its back alley, a hand reached out and pulled her in. Kailin let out a squeal and looked Mathias in the eyes.

"Why the hell do you do that?" She snapped.

He grinned, "I need to speak with you."

"Ever heard of a phone."

He frowned, and stared down at her waiting for her to ask him what he needed.

Kailin watched him for a moment, then rose both her eyebrows. "Well?" She threw her hands in the air.

"I think there is much more going on then what I originally thought. When the Ancients catch word of you and Tzion's blood exchange, they might have you destroyed." He said. The Ancients were the three eldest and the first three vampires of each breed in the world, Eva, Adon, and Fantor.

"Ok, first of all, I am the best weapon against the Mephis, if they have me killed then good luck to them. Second of all, didn't I tell you to stay the fuck away from me?" She turned to walk away.

"Kailin, this isn't going to go away. It happened, what Tzion did to you was as good as rape."

She stopped and turned her head slightly to see him, "I did what I had to do to save my friend's life."

"You didn't have to do anything to save her life, my group and I would of gladly help you for nothing."

She turned to look at him, "What do you want from me? Why won't you leave me alone? I was fine, everything was just fine, until Kristian and you came into my life. Leave me alone."

"I can't do that, Kailin. I have always been in your life, and you know it."

She sighed, "I'll speak with Tzion about everything, now leave me be."

"No, don't go near him. He's up to something foul, and the more you are in his company the more he wins."

Raising her eyebrow, she stared at him, "Wins? Am I a game to the two of you? Who gets her on their side wins?"

"No, it's nothing like that. You don't understand what is going on."

"Then enlighten me, Mathias."

He looked down at the slime covered alley and then back up, "I can't, not yet, you aren't ready to know."

She brushed her curls behind her ear, and frowned. "Don't expect me to understand what you won't tell me." She went to turn, but then looked back at him. "I have a good idea that this is all about the Mephis. They were a mistake and I fix that mistake every time I run into a Mephis. I will not join your cause, they have a right to live, they just need to change how to operate that life."

"You don't understand what they really are, Kailin." He held out his hand slightly then dropped it.

"What, Mathias, what?" She threw her hands in the air.

He stared at her then sighed looking down.

"That's what I thought. If I am so fucking important to all of this, then why can't you tell me? What can't I know?"

"You aren't ready for such knowledge, you won't be able to deal with it until you are an elder."

She walked to the edge of the alley and turned to look at him, "I'm a lot stronger then you or any of the other elders may think. Sadly, out of all of them, you should be the one to know that."

"I do know that, but even some things just can't be explained. They have to be learned with time."

Her eyes fell to the ground, and then back up. "You were there, weren't you?"

"Where?"

"The night my sister and I got lost in the nearby woods. We were attacked by some wild dogs, and you saved us from them."

He shook his head, "No, I save you from them. That's been my job since you were born. Protect you from dangerous you don't yet understand."

Her eyes teared up, "Then why didn't you protect me from Zdenek?"

"There are some things you are meant to experience, and I'm afraid he was one of them."

She swallowed, "I didn't want to be this, you know?"

Mathias nodded, "You didn't want to be what you were, either. This, however, is where and what you were meant to be. It was written long before you were born, and even longer before it was you."

"I don't understand."

"You will some day, hopefully a long time from now. But Kailin, my job is to protect you, to stop harm from befalling you. I am telling you now that Tzion is a danger, one that I can't protect you from. He is my master and I can bring him no harm."

"Perhaps, he can explain everything to me."

Mathias shook his head, "He'll only mold the truth to his own use, and tell you only what he wants you to know. Believe me, Kailin, he's out to cause you immeasurable harm."

"We'll see." She said, and walked out onto the sidewalk.

She looked back for a moment to see that Mathias was gone. He had always been there, and she remember him from long ago when she was still a child. The shadow that she had once been afraid of, but then grew a strange bond with. When she didn't see it for several weeks, she would worry that it had left her. It was a friend that she never named and never voiced.

The day her sister and her were lost in the woods, that shadow fought the dogs as the girls ran to safety. When the battle was done, she knew to follow it from tree to tree to find her way home. It was Mathias then, and she knew that he meant only to protect her. Somehow, she knew that Tzion held the answers that she needed. All her life she had questions that went unanswered, but now she knew someone who might share them with her. Why was she made a vampire and then left without a master? Why was she the one who created the Mephis? But most importantly, why couldn't she of been left alone, as her human self?

Chapter 11: http://rkphunt.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=213