Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 11: Game of Hearts

It was their rest day, Ophelia had followed Lenore out of the dining hall that morning when she announced that Anton and she would be practicing their archery. Santh had wanted to do the same with Jolon, but he informed his tutor that he had to meet someone out in the hamlet, but would return before noon to practice.

Santh sat on the stairs of the dorm, reading a book he had acquired from the library. He was all alone as everyone seemed to fill their only day off instead of resting. He had seen Routine in the library studying, and had even considered to sit down and study along side him. Though Santh had never truly studied a day in his life, and still managed to pass his classes. He had prided himself on that ability until Lenore came along and was able to do the exact same thing with better memory recall.

Foot steps could be heard down the path. Santh watched it in hopes that one of his dorm mates had returned. Instead, it was one person he had no interest in seeing, Authin Nele. The man wasn't dressed in his school uniform as Santh was, but instead wore black pants with gold trimming and a red shirt that puffed out around the man's small frame. What made Santh attempt to hold in his laughter was the decorative cane he used to walk with. A snake's head at the top, and made from a sturdy dark wood until it's gold colored knob at the bottom.

"Lenore and Ophelia are at the arena." Santh informed him as the man came to stand at the bottom of the stairs. He didn't like the royal hovering over him, so he stood up.

"I know, I just came from there. It is you that I would like to speak with." Authin walked up the stairs so he was on more even ground.

With a snort, and a roll of his eyes, Santh lost any humor that he had collected from his night out with Lenore. "You and I have no common ground to discuss, therefore..."

"I have come to ask that you stand down in your pursuit of the Princess."

Santh's mouth slowly dropped open. He wasn't certain if he was offended by this man audacity to ask such a thing or flabbergasted that everyone around him assumed he had feelings for her. "Stand down?" He finally spoke after a brief silence between them.

Authin stood with perfect posture. "Indeed. It has come to my attention that you might be under some delusion that Lenore could ever have feelings for you or even a future with you. However, let us pretend for a moment, you do manage to manipulate her into caring for you. What then?"

Santh's eyebrows came together, he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"I apologize. I must sound as if I am attempting to attack your lot in life or consider you a lesser being to myself. Nothing can be further from the truth, I assure you. I am simply trying to have an honest conversation about the reality of the situation." Authin patted Santh's shoulder, and Santh immediately brushed his hand away. "Yes, of course. I feared I would upset you."
"I do not have feelings of this nature for the Princess, and you would be wise to never speak such rumors in the face of others again." Santh seethed.

He gave a slight nod. "If that is true, then I am glad. I feared this might be a problem in my own pursuit of the Princess. Of course, you are an intelligent man. You are aware that no mere Mondue commoner without lands or title can ever have her hand." He patted his shoulder once more, "A pleasure to speak with you, Santh." Authin walked down the stairs toward the path.
"What did you call me?" Santh was suddenly behind him. He grabbed Authin's shoulder and spun him around.

"Watch the clothing, please." Authin seemed to think for a moment, "A Mondue commoner, is that the wording you take offense to?"

"You said 'mere Mondue commoner.' Of that I take offense."

"I do apolo-" Authin found himself laying on the ground with his hand covering his left cheek and eye.

"Royals!" Santh laughed, "You certainly speak well enough and offer insults without batting an eyelid, but you can not be subjugated to any physical trauma! No, you have others like my father fight your battles for you!" He kicked some of the dirt in the court directly at the man laying on the ground in front of him.

"Santh!" Lenore screamed as she came running down the path with Ophelia and Anton behind her. "What have you done?" She barked as she knelt down next to Authin. "Are you alright?"

Santh opened his mouth to defend himself, but knew nothing he would say could fix what they had seen. Ophelia and Anton looked at him as if he were a stranger, and Lenore didn't bother to make eye contact at all as she helped Authin to his feet.
"Come inside." Lenore told her bruised friend. "Ophelia get some herbs, and Anton fetch him some water."

Authin looked over Lenore's shoulder at Santh with a grin. Stepping forward he wanted to speak and explain this situation, but it was far too awkward. With a deep breath, he pushed passed them as they walked up the narrow stairs and entered his own room.

---***---

"Excuse me, is this where Saena Ailca lives?" Jolon approached the small blacksmith shop in the poor district.

It looked like he mostly made horseshoes, spoon, forks, and cups, as there was no weapons or armor to be seen. The front part of the small shed held just enough for the anvil, the hot coal bed, and the tiny man inside. Black smoke bellowed out and felt like it stuck to every inch of his body the closer he got.

The man standing next to the anvil with a hammer in hand, looked over at the boy wearing the university uniform. His face and hands were black, and he wore no shirt just a apron over his chest. "Whose be askin'?"

"My name is Jolon Marsh of the Carpenter's Guild." He explained. "I know Saena Ailca from the university, she asked me to visit her."

"Is you a suitor?" The man asked.

"Uh." He looked from side to side, hoping someone would save him from that question.

The man laughed and stepped out of the shed, "Name's Croi Ailca, Saena be me daughter." He offered out his dirty hand and then pulled it back when he saw how disgusting it was, even though Jolon had been willing to shake it. "Sorry, milord, 'tis hard and dirty work."

"Milord?" Jolon mumbled under his breath.

"Carpenter's Guild, eh? Must've got losts o' money, yeah? Take good care of me gal?" Croi didn't wait for him to answer, "Saena! A boy be here for ya!" He yelled at the slightly larger shed next to his shop.

Saena appeared from the doorway that was only covered with a burlap curtain. She smiled at Jolon as she walked over to him. "Mister Marsh, it is a pleasure."

Jolon wondered how her father spoke one way and she another, but assumed she had to learn to speak properly to work on the university grounds. "Jolon, please."

"Only outside the university." She agreed and looked over at her father who was watching them both. "Something you need, father?"

"He be a rich un. Carpenter's Guild. Best to win him over 'fore Runty get his shillings together and I sell ya off to him." Croi walked back into his little shed of a shop.

Saena rolled her eyes and looked back at Jolon. "Pay him no attention. He is obsessed with finding me a husband."

"Why is that?"

She looked confused by his question. "Well, besides myself there are six other siblings still living here. As you can see it's small and we don't have a lot of money to feed everyone." As she spoke she seemed to become more embarrassed by her own words. "Oh, dear, I should not have invited you out here. You probably aren't used to these kind of surroundings."

Jolon was having a difficult time imagining that in the eyes of these two, he was the well off one. His days were spent inside the university as the poor student, but out here he could afford to even go to that school. The Servant's Guild was part of the Commoner's Guild, just like his own, but he had never had servants and never understood how different they were.
"There is a sweet's shop I passed on the way here." He pointed behind him with his thumb.

"Misses Polin's shop, yes she makes wonderful sweet buns."

"May I purchase you one and we can talk?"

She slowly shook her head, "I'm afraid that would only make me fall further into your debt. I invited you here to pay you back, remember? How many times do you want to come out here and see me over a debt owed?"

Jolon grinned, "Perhaps, I prefer you in my debt."

She looked confused by his response.

"The boy be flirtin', gal. He is saying he like seeing ya." Croi barked from his shed. "Now getcha a bun, and if boy be generous, mayhap I get one too."

Saena's face flushed. "Oh, well then, I would enjoy a sweet bun."

---***---

Sitting in his room, Santh could hear Lenore speaking to Authin in her dorm though he couldn't make out what was being said. He had stood from his bed several times in an attempt to march into the room and explain what had occurred. Yet, no version of the story made him out to be the victim instead it was simply a man asking another man of his interest in a woman, and then explaining the true reality of the situation.

Santh was a Mondue commoner, there was no denying that. He held no title, no lands, and was simply a boy whose parents left him a large sum of money when they both passed away. Money that could certainly buy lands, but not enough for a title.
He shook away the thoughts as he tried to figure out, why he was even bothered by the Royal's words. He thought he had punched him over calling him a "mere commoner," but he was beginning to doubt that was his motivation.

The sliding door to his dorm opened, and Remus stepped inside, closing the door behind him. The feminine looking man exhaled a sigh of exhaustion. "No rest day for the Fox's number one man." He sat down on his bottom bunk, and tossed a small bag that Santh only noticed then beside him.

Santh knew that bag contained small scrolls that held instructions for each member of the Fox's network. He had opened one before and found nothing written upon it, but for fear of upsetting Remus after going through his things, he never mentioned it.
"I saw Ophelia and Anton on the way in. I hear you lost your temper." Remus leaned back on his hands and kicked his now dangling feet. "Is your victim the one with Lenore down the hall?"

Santh didn't respond to his question, instead he laid down and looked up at the ceiling with his hands behind his head. "Remus, do you know any Mondue girls that attend the school?"

"Yes, I know many girls."

Santh turned his head so he could see his friend. "A Mondue with a status like my own."

He raised an eyebrow, "I assume you don't want her to be someone I have lain with?"

"That would be preferable."

Remus cleared his throat as he thought for a couple moments. "I am able to think of three or four that would fit that description. The one that I believe you would get along with the most is not the prettiest of the bunch, but will she do?"

"What do you mean? Is she hideous?"

"Not at all. It's just that the others are more attractive, but the one I am thinking of has an interest in fighting and does well with battle strategies. She is also from a town closer to our home town, and she is tall. Shorter than yourself, but tall enough that you won't break your back during intimate moments." Remus watched his friend think.

"Very well, see if she would be interested in meeting me."

The merchant nodded his head, "You are aware that you have not held up your part of the bargain where you admit your feelings to me about Lenore."

Santh sat up in his bed and stared at the man across the room from him. "I think it's time that I found a girl for myself that is within my reach, and not one that is unattainable."

"Ah. Not as transparent of an admission as I would desire, but it will do for now." Remus stood up from his bed. "Now, I have many tasks to complete. I will speak with my acquaintance as soon as possible."

"She isn't part of the Fox's Network, is she?"

Remus shook his head as he picked up the bag and headed toward the door. "Before I speak with her, ensure that this is actually what you want. She is a lovely person, and I would hate to see her be another pawn in your game of hearts."

---***---

"It isn't the most beautiful stand in all the world, but it is in the center of the market." Ophelia told Anton as she showed him her new stand. "Remus says that he has someone that will be here during school hours to sell the wares, and that we will be able to focus on our schooling again. Isn't that nice of him?"

The market place was just as full as it was the night before. Students pushing passed them trying to locate the wares they would need for the week. Food vendors were screaming about their various concoctions. The atmosphere was rather exciting for someone not used to being there.

Anton nodded, "More so than I thought he was capable of." He put his hand on the smooth wood of the stand's counter. "You know, Jolon is from the Carpenter's Guild. I would bet my allowance, he would know how to freshen the stand up, and I could do some work on the roof. It looks terrible, and I am certain it will leak. If water were to get on those pastries then..." He didn't have to finish.

She grabbed his hands and began to bounce. "Really? You think so?"

"If Remus allows it."

She stopped jumping and looked around the area. "You know, Remus told me that the Fox owns a great deal of these stands and stores." One of the students walking behind her, bumped her and continued walking. Ophelia seemed to decide it was an accident, and simply continued to speak. "I wonder if he wouldn't mind refurbishing some of them and paying the both of you for the work."

Anton pressed his lips together, "With your wares being moved here, he won't need us to take orders anymore. I could imagine that we both would appreciate the extra money that would come with it."

"When we return to the dorm, I'll help you to speak with him."

The younger boy grinned at her. "Remus certainly seems to have a soft spot for you, Ophelia. Is there anything I should be aware of?"

She chuckled. "He does, doesn't he? It is nice to have an older brother looking out for me." Crossing her arms, she frowned at him. "And what right do you have to inquire about the men in my life? May I remind you that you are one of them."

Anton reached forward and put one arm around her shoulder, before pulling her head down and rubbing his knuckles over her scalp. "I am the annoying younger brother that gets involved in all your business, that's who."

Ophelia laughed when he released her, and then she shoved him slightly. "Have you ever noticed, how the dorm seems to be a family now?"

"Oh?"

"Yes, you, Jolon, and myself are the children. Santh is the father and Lenore is the mother. While Routine is the weird cousin that keeps to himself, and Remus is the uncle that always comes around with treats for everyone." She clasped her hands together.
Anton shook his head with amusement in his eyes. "You have an odd way of looking at the world, Ophelia."

She grabbed his hand and started to pull him through the streets.

"Where are we going?" Anton asked as he tried to fight his way through the crowd without losing his dorm mate.

"I am kidnapping you. No one ever shops with me in town, and I doubt we will be welcomed back to the dorms any time soon. Lenore and Santh should be having an ugly argument right now, don't you think?"

"Very well, but let us stop at one of the food vendors. My stomach is growling." He bumped into her when she stopped abruptly.
She turned to face him with a smile. "My treat. Pick anything you like."

Anton looked around the area. "I have always wanted to try those sausages. They always smell wonderful whenever I walk by."
"As have I, but I never really stopped to try them. It was always an after thought once I had already eaten." Pulling him toward the stand, Ophelia began to order before he even had a chance to decide what he wanted.

---***---

"I sincerely apologize on Santh's behalf." Lenore sat down on the bed with the balm that Ophelia had fetched her in her hand. She applied a light amount on the swelling, red area of Authin's cheek with her middle finger. "He had absolutely no right to raise his hand to you."

Authin grabbed Lenore's hand and pulled it down. "I have no plans of informing the professors, Lenore. You needn't worry about him being ejected from the school."

She smiled gently, before applying some more balm. "I have never seen him hit someone before, unless they were bullying another student. I wonder what could have made him react this way."

"The conversation was private, but I believed it to be polite until the moment I found myself on the ground with a bruise forming." He chuckled bitterly.

Pressing her lips together, she could not think of a topic that Santh and Authin would have in common or one that would need privacy. She decided that Authin was not the one to ask and decided she would see if Santh would share later.

"Your dorm mate is not the friendly sort, is he?"

Lenore nodded in agreement. "I suppose not. I do not believe I have seen him genuinely smile in the three years I have known him. Though he seems to care for anyone who finds themselves abused for unjust an cause."

"He must have had a difficult childhood." Authin stood up from the bed and looked down at the Princess.

"I haven't finished..."

"I appreciate that you are making such a fuss over me. However, I may look delicate but I am far sturdier than I look." He pounded himself in the chest to demonstrate.

With a giggle, Lenore stood up to stand in front of him. "Very well." She offered out the balm to him. "You should use this at least four times a day. We wouldn't want anything to happen to that face of yours. Else, the girls of this school may burn me out of my dorm and hang me for treason against the beauty that the gods created."

Authin smiled, "Well, we certainly do not want that." His smile faded, "I almost wish that you had insisted to care for me slightly longer."

Walking over to the sliding door, Lenore opened it for him. "Once more, I apologize on Santh's behalf."

"And once more, I have no intention of getting him expelled from the school. I could see why in hindsight what I said might be seen as insulting, though I did not realize the connotation until his fist was already embedded in my cheek." He took a couple steps to stand before the Princess. "Now, if milady, would allow me the opportunity to pay her back for her generous care taking." Leaning over, he placed a gentle kiss upon her lips. "Good afternoon, Princess."

Lenore watched him step out of the room and walk down the hall. She closed the sliding doors, before leaning against them. For a moment, she thought of what just happened and tried to decide if she was enraged or entranced by the whole ordeal.
Lifting her fingertips up to her lips, she felt her cheeks begin to change color. Never in her life had a man been so bold as to kiss her without first asking permission. She had kissed several men in her lifetime and was by no means a virgin to the experience, but something about someone else taking the lead in the action made her heart skip a beat.

Lenore had not even considered Authin in such a way, until that moment. She placed her hands on her heated cheeks, "Ugh, Lenore." She spoke to herself. "Bring yourself back to reality. You have tasks to complete, and not one of them is finding a suitor. You are not a typical female going to the school, and you should act accordingly."

---***---

Jolon waved goodbye to Saena who was carrying a sack filled with sweet buns that he had purchased for her to share with her family. He had promised to return before noon though it was an hour passed, but he had gotten caught up in talking to the girl.
She had explained to him how her mother was one of the kitchen staff, and how two of her sisters also worked on the campus. Her mother had taught them at an early age how to speak appropriately in order to be seen as someone that the university would want to hire. For people of their position, the university was one of the highest paying jobs in the hamlet. It was considered a great honor to work inside it's walls.

"Jolon!" Ophelia's voice broke through the crowd.

He turned toward it, and saw her waving him over. With a grin, he made his way over to her and found Anton standing close by. "Good afternoon. Are the two of you having an outing?"

"I was showing Anton the stand the Fox gave to me, and then I decided I wanted to shop. I do so hate shopping alone, and I had to bribe Anton with food in order to make him come along." She chuckled. "Oh! Look at that cloth!" Ophelia ran across the crowded path way to a stand that held all sorts of colored cloths.

"You hug her when she is crying, go on outings with her, and eat meals beside her. Anton, do you perhaps hold affections for our Ophelia?" Jolon questioned as Anton looked through a stand that contained statues carved from wood and stone.
"Affections that one would hold for a sister, certainly." He answered as he held up a state of two tigers fighting. "I have four sisters and am the only son born to my family. I grew up dealing with many women. Forgive me, if they find me to be comfortable."

His friend snorted. "Surely, you don't expect me to believe such an obvious lie."

Setting the statue down, he turned his attention to Jolon. "Whether you believe it or not, it is the truth and I would appreciate if you didn't attempt to put such thoughts into her mind. Besides, if spending time with her and holding her when she cries are the only factors that make up your mind about the issue, then shouldn't Remus be your prime suspect? After all, he spends more time with her than any of us."

Ophelia returned with a couple skips. "I will have to bring Lenore out here. I am going to make her a dress for the ball, but I do not know what colors she likes. She is always wearing her school uniform. I even looked in her closest and there was nothing else." She sighed and then turned her question to Anton. "Do you think we can safely return to the dorm?"

Jolon raised an eyebrow, "What has happened at the dorm?"

"Santh punched that royal that keeps visiting the Princess." Anton explained as he looked at a fox statue. He had seen several of these around town and wondered if the fox was important to the people of this region. "We are certain that Lenore is chewing him to pieces."

"He would have simply stormed out and gone to the Enchantress." Jolon could already feel the headache he would get from this new confrontation between the two. "Either way, we should wait a short time more before heading back. Those two are worse than my parents when they argue, and that strange tactic the Princess uses to silence him." He shivered. "If she did such a thing to me, I would be afraid that it was the kiss of death."

Anton chuckled but Ophelia looked bothered by his statement. "He has yet to figure out a way to counterattack."
"Shall we check the Enchantress to see if Santh is there?" Ophelia didn't want to hear anymore of this. "If he is then we can head back. I am weary from walking around all morning, and would like to rest."

The two boys nodded their heads in agreement. Ophelia placed herself in between them and took one of each of their arms before skipping between them toward their destination. She giggled along the way and kept pointing out every item that she wanted to purchase in the future.

---***---

Walking out of the gates, Remus adjusted the sack over his shoulder before he made his way down the slope to an alley way between two stores. He grinned at the three boys standing in wait for him to arrive. They were all about the same age of eight, grim covered their faces, and their clothes were ripped and stained.

Each one looked to be excited over what was to come that evening. Reaching into his own sack, he pulled out three smaller sacks. The boys took them before looking inside at the small scrolls. They all looked back up at Remus, before giving him a nod and racing out of the alley.

Running off in different directions, they began to place the scrolls in the hands of those waiting for them without trying to draw attention to the drops. The boys also hid them in vases, behind boxes, and in small hiding holes throughout the village for those of the Fox's network to pick up.

Remus wasn't finished with his evening either. With his hands behind his back, he began to stroll down the street looking around the area and acting as casual as he could. Many of the students had left the marketplace and headed back to campus on their rest day, but many of the citizens were still buying food for their families after a long day's work.

Upon arriving at the blacksmith's shop, he reached down to the small street sign and re-adjusted the S so that it was crooked. Standing back up, he placed his hands behind his back once more and looked around the area to see if he had been noticed. It would be a rare thing, as the lower classed citizens rarely made eye contact with someone of his stature, and if they did catch him they would fear to speak a word against him.

Continuing down his path, he laid his eyes on a statue of a fox holding up another platform just like the one that it was standing on. It was resting on a food vendor's cart, Remus passed several customers and flipped the statue upside down.

Doors that were normally shut, he opened and those that were normally open, he closed. Window coverings were pulled the half mast, Ronea flags put up in front of stores, and sacks of merchandise pushed over.

Remus watched across the market place as one of his boys tried to wake a drunken man who was passed out on the street. When he didn't awake, the small boy shoved the scroll into the man's mouth. When he turned around he noticed Remus, and shrugged his shoulders. Remus gave him a nod which sent the boy on his way.

Remus and the boys worked throughout the evening to deliver the scrolls and signal his people. As the school bells began to ding, Remus stretched out his arms and turned around to head back to the dorm for roll call.

One of the boys found only his scroll was in his sack, and he returned to the alley. Behind a stack of boxes, he lit a candle and grabbed a vial of red liquid. Opening the tiny scroll, he poured the liquid over it and then placed it over the candle.

"The sewers. 11pm. Deliver to Dana's Tailor Shop." Was all the note read, and after a few seconds the paper caught fire, and burned into nothing but ash.

The boy popped up from his position, and hurried toward the sewer entrance. He didn't want to be late.

---***---

Santh stepped out of his dorm room and found Lenore sitting on the stairs of the dorm. Roll call would be soon, but none of their dorm mates had returned yet. Though he only worried whether Lenore would arrive, the others were never late and had never missed a roll call.

Standing up, Lenore turned to him. She opened her mouth to speak, but he cut her off before she could.

"I will not hear any lecture from you." He snapped as he walked to his place on the platform. "As a man it is my duty to protect myself from those who would wish to insult my lot in life. I am very pleased with where I am, and he..."

"He never told me what was said." Lenore interrupted. "He promised me that he would not go to the council with this attack." She walked over to stand next to the taller male.

Santh looked down at her. "Do not concern yourself with my schooling, Princess."

Licking her bottom lip, she seemed to think for a moment. "Will you tell me what occurred? What could he have possible said to deserve that?"

He didn't want to explain the entire conversation to her as it would be too awkward, "He called me a 'mere commoner'."
"I see." She sighed and then pinched the bridge of her nose.

Santh stood with his back straight and his arms behind his back as if he was lining up for inspection in the military, and not preparing for roll call.

"I have been around the Royal Party most of my life. I am certain the he did not mean what he said in an insulting manner, Santh. Besides, you shouldn't hit Royals no matter what they say. Every one of them, even the lowliest one can have you removed from the school." She placed her hand on his shoulder. "I was quite worried that he would seek revenge against you."
He shrugged her hand off, before glaring down at her with his stern eyes. "You needn't worry about me, Lenore. Tend to your own garden."

She looked confused for a moment. "I suppose last night was a fleeting moment in time, and we will never again give the other the illusion of friendship?"

For a brief moment, the harshness in his eyes softened, but it was quickly restored. "We were drinking. I despise your kind."

Lenore opened her mouth to speak again, but closed it. She stared up at the man who would no longer look her in the eyes. He stared off blanking into the distance. After a few seconds, Lenore nodded her head. "If that is your wish, Santh. Friends, we will never be. However, as the others see you are a source of strength and protection, please think about them before hitting another Royal. I am quite aware what they are capable of, and I would hate to see it happen to you. That is all I have to say, and I will speak no more to you in the future. I grow weary of our game."

Walking over to the other side of the platform, Lenore stood silently in her spot. Anton, Jolon, and Ophelia were the first to arrive back and they immediately felt the tension in the air. Ophelia took her place beside Lenore, she wanted to ask what was going on though she knew it had something to do with Authin and the fight.

Routine arrived back soon after, his hair was disheveled and his clothes not neatly worn. He looked like he had the night before, but he didn't bother to explain what had happened even to Jolon when he asked if he was alright.

Santh's eyes tried to find Lenore without moving his head, as he wondered what she meant when she told him of her weariness with this game. He also worried that she would keep true to her word and not speak to him any longer.

"Ah, good evening!" Remus entered into the courtyard and took his place on the platform. "What a wonderful night! The perfect temperature and the moon is full, we should celebrate with a few drinks after the Mondues take roll call. What say you?"

No one responded, and Remus had to look at his dorm mates. He found Routine's messy appearance, and then watched as Ophelia motioned her head toward Lenore, while the boys did the same for Santh.

"I see. Well, the three of you are excused then. The commoners and the Souchan lady will attend, yes?"

They all nodded as if talking would destroy the quiet balance that had been achieved in those moments.

Remus clicked his tongue, unimpressed by their reaction, and allowed his next reaction to drip with sarcasm. "Delightful."

---***---

All four dorm rooms were filled that evening after roll call. Santh stormed off into his room nearly knocking Jolon over, while Routine followed directly behind him and entered his own. Lenore seemed to want to give an explanation for a brief moment, before she gave up entirely without a single word spoken and made her way to the back of the dorms.

The commoners and Ophelia looked at each other, as Remus ignored the temper tantrums being had and made his way to the back room that still had some of Ophelia's merchandise. He opened one of the bottles of mead and sat down on the hard floor. The others soon entered the room and each sat down on the ground in a circle as they passed the bottle around.
"Seems empty in here now." Anton commented.

The beds had once been hidden by all of her items, and now one could sit on them though they seemed accustom to choosing the floor instead.

"They never ignore each other like that." Ophelia looked at her own dorm room door across the hall. "What do you suppose happened?"

The others shrugged and continued to pass around the mead, but when the bottle got to Ophelia, she immediately perked up and turned to face Remus. "I had a wonderful idea today."

His eyebrows lift in curiosity. "Do tell."

"Now that my wares are being sold in the market, Jolon and Anton won't be able to take orders and therefore the Fox will no longer pay them for services. However, perhaps you could talk to him about hiring them to fix some of the marketplace." She pulled her legs under her and sat up straight, as Jolon yanked the bottle away from her since she hadn't taken a drink yet.
"Whatever do you mean?" Remus' look of curiosity was satiated and he looked less than thrilled with the idea.

"The marketplace is so dark and in such shambles. If you venture into the West part of town, their marketplace is so grand and it's an experience to shop there. You never want to leave, but the East Market is so dreary. People go there for necessities and quickly leave. They rarely stay to window shop." She explained to the man that she could already see was losing interest in her idea. "Women don't like to shop there, and women do most of the shopping, Remus. Don't you see how rejuvenating the marketplace could help sell more wares for the Fox?"

Pressing his lips together, Remus leaned back against the bunk bed that rested behind him. "You do make a fine point." He turned his attention to the two boys in the room. "The two of you are capable of revitalizing the area?"

Anton gave a firm nod, but Jolon looked unsure though he soon nodded after he watched his friend act so confidently.
"However, you could only work during your off hours and on your rest day. The marketplace is in dire need of attention, and I fear you two would simply not have the time." Remus looked over at Ophelia. "As much..."

"Please, Remus." She crawled toward him on her knees. "Give them a chance. If they simply can not get the work done, then you can hire someone else. Your friends need extra money, and they are the sons of two guild leaders, who else better to do the work?" She grabbed his hands and held them up closer to her face. "Please."

He stared at her for a few seconds. "I will speak to the Fox, and see if it is an idea worthy of the effort."

Ophelia jumped up from her position and dance around briefly, before throwing herself back on the floor. "Thank you!" She tried to gain control of herself.

Jolon and Anton had begun to lose confidence over Remus' words. It would be a lot of work and they had little time to themselves as it was, but neither wanted to disappoint their friends.

"You have a great business mind, Ophelia." Remus complimented her with a smirk. "I would have never thought making the area nicer would assist in selling more products. We shall see if your theory holds."

---***---

Authin sat in Lesatan's study as Krius stood near the doorway. He had been the one to find him and inform the trickster that the Prince wished to see him. However, upon arriving to the study, the Prince had left for a moment.

Enoch was sent to fetch him, but the daft man hadn't returned in fifteen minutes.

There was an awkward silence between the two men, as one stood and the other sat. Authin felt like he was being glared down by the much larger man. He had heard rumors that Krius and the Princess had once had a fling, but there had never been any real proof that he had seen. In fact, the times that he had seen the two together, it seemed like Lenore wanted nothing to do with him at all. Of course, that could be proof of a terrible end to a relationship as well.

"Do you enjoy your work?" Authin asked trying to end the tension as quickly as he could.

Krius looked at him questioningly.

"As the Prince's adviser, that is."

Folding his arms, Krius was unwilling to have any sort of dialogue with him. The large man leaned against the wall and sighed audibly. It was then that Lesatan entered the room. Authin stood from his chair and Krius stood up straight.
Lesatan took his seat before motioning for Authin to sit as well. "How goes the hunt?"

"Well, enough. I do believe I made her blush with a very chaste kiss. Also, her little pet played directly into my hands." Authin explained.

"Her pet?" He asked as Enoch entered the room with a bowl of fruit for the Prince. He placed it before him then took his place next to Krius.

"Yes, the large one. I managed to get him riled up enough to punch me. Of course, I thought that I would simply tell her about the incident later, making her have to drag it out of me, in fear of looking less manly. However, fate was on my side this day, and she appeared just as it was occurring." Authin grinned and leaned forward. "May I?" When the Prince nodded, he took a couple grapes from the bowl.

"That explains your bruise, but I do not understand how letting a man harm you opens a woman's heart. Would she not see you as weak instead?"

The well dressed man chuckled and shook his head as he swallowed down his grapes. "You see, I was taken completely off guard. All she saw was the big oaf of a man kicking dirt in my eyes as I lay on the ground clutching my cheek. I become the victim and her mothering instinct to care for the weaker one suddenly becomes prominent."

Lesatan frowned, completely unconvinced by this scenario.

"You needn't worry, milord. I am very skilled at reading women and discovering the way to claim land in their heart. As I said, she allowed me to kiss her and I left unscathed. That is certainly progress."

"Yes, I suppose so. One should fear my sister's fist, over that Mondue's. However, is it necessary that you take things so slowly?"
Authin was surprised by that question. "The Lady Lenore is not one who can be won over with flowery words or even flowers themselves. She is a woman with a closed heart, who allows few visitors. I can do nothing until she trusts that I am there to be a loyal friend, and then her walls will crumble. They already are."

"Do as you must." Lesatan spoke with harshness in his voice, then waved for the man to leave.

Authin bowed before exiting the room.

"Is something the matter?" Krius asked as he came to stand in front of the desk.

"Bah, the longer this takes, the more I regret ever asking the man to take the assignment. Lenore has been true to her word, and I feel that if she discovers this plot it will be harder to sway her loyalty in the future." Lesatan stood up and cut Krius' words off before he even spoke. "Leave my presence, both of you."