Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 12

Atop of the building across the street, stood a woman in a black dress that fell around her feet. Her long black hair flew in the wind, as she carefully watched the humans stepping out of the club. She reprogrammed their memories carefully for the interview, knowing the human police would arrive soon. Tzion had taken a small clean up crew into the club to clean up any signs of murder, while she was left to the task of keeping the humans from running in fear.

Even those who weren't inside, and had only been waiting to get in had the vacant stares upon their faces. Everyone needed the memory erased. Humans were such frantic children, and the mere memory of a Mephis would send them into a fearful state for the rest of their lives. After a few moments, she felt the large form come to stand next to her, as Kailin left the club and headed down the side walk.

"Do not follow her, Mathias." She told him.

"She may be hurt or confused, I need to make sure…"

She took her eyes off the humans for a moment to look at him. Her dark brown eyes stared at his curious face. Placing her milk white hand on his bicep, he looked over at her. "If she was in need, Tzion would of seen fit to keep her near. It's not your job to care for her in such a manner. You are to watch and not interfere remember?"

"You know nothing, Akela. Tzion is the prophet, he is the one who isn't meant to interfere. I am meant to protect her…"

She snorted, "Don't try to sell me your lies, child. I know full well what your intentions are, your mind is after all open to me."

He looked at the Elder beside him. Akela was Tzion's favored vampire, she wasn't his peon, but they had known each other for thousands of years. Her mind was so strong, she could break through almost any mental block. It was also the reason that so little was known about her, all anyone knew was that she was Egyptian and a queen. Her pale white skin made him question her Egyptian heritage, but it had been said in a moment of weakness, the information was stolen from her mind. She didn't talk about her life before becoming a vampire, and even then some of her earlier fresh years were not revealed.

Her slim face and body along with several other Egyptian features, did make it seem plausible. However, most couldn't get over that her skin was whiter then any other being. She had become so white long ago, that she stopped looking human, and wasn't able to be seen in public. Akela had been that way long before Mathias was ever turned, and Tzion had never mentioned her being any other way.

Mathias looked back at his group, who had been waiting to enter the club and help Kailin. The Mephis were too much, and he knew that she could hold them off long enough for him to get back up. He hated having to ask for it from Tzion, but it was the only way. When they returned they felt the presence of Anthony, it was his worst fear. Anthony getting his hands on her. Mathias would kill Kailin before he would allow her to rule over those creatures.

"I'm going." He said to Akela and then turned to his group.

"Mathias, I will warn you only once, do not approach her again." Akela's dark, pleasing voice said.

"I am going to follow her home with the others to make sure she gets home safely." He said.

She nodded, "Don't approach her, I know you are thinking about it."

Mathias walked over to Khaldun, who stood in front of Lycorisa and Jareth. They stood up as he drew near. "Lets follow her home, and make sure she gets there alright. We don't know if Anthony is still in the area or not."

They all nodded, and headed over to the next rooftop.

---***---
The sirens screamed as they drove down the road, it was a possible live Bloody Hands attack. Jerry drove behind six other police cars, and Lucas sat in the passenger seat. Someone had phoned in the attack, while it was occurring. The terrifying screams echoing in behind the man's voice, who identified himself as Chris the bartender. Lucas had heard him cry out something about them attacking her, before the line went dead.

As they drew closer, he looked across the street to a familiar form. Kailin was rushing down the sidewalk, seeming to be distressed. Blood smears covered her face, and the bare parts of her chest that revealed under her coat.

"Stop." Lucas said and pointed at her across the street.

Jerry did as he was told, and parked the car against the sidewalk. He picked up the radio to tell them they were checking on a distressed female.

"Kailin!" Lucas screamed across the street, and she stopped for a moment then continued forward.

Crossing the street, he ran up to her and grabbed her arm. "Kailin, are you alright?"

"I am fine, leave me alone." She snapped, and ripped her arm from his grasp.

He was a little surprised at her strength, as he had been holding on fairly tight.

Jerry appeared behind him, "What's the blood from?"

"What blood?"

"The blood all over your face and chest." Jerry pointed with his index finger.

Kailin looked down at her chest and touched her face. For once in Kailin's life, she had no lie and no way of getting out of this. "I don't know." They were the only words she could fathom at that moment.

"Somehow, I think you do know." Jerry said in an intimidating voice.

She looked at the police car as it flew by them.

"Kailin, if you were at that club then you are a witness. It's against the law to leave the scene of a crime." Lucas told her, his voice full of sympathy. "I know you are scared, but we need your help in finding justice."

"You don't know what you are talking about." She snapped, and started down the sidewalk.

"Kailin, what happened?" Lucas grabbed her arm again.

"I don't know, I was sitting at the bar." She swallowed, "I heard people start screaming, and then glass breaking. When I looked I was sprayed with blood, then I hid behind the bar. I didn't see anything after that." Sometimes, it was better just to go along with the humans' games.

He nodded, "Come on, we will give you a ride back to the club and then you can make a official statement."

"I have blood all over me." She wiped her face again.

Jerry pulled a tissue from his pocket and handed it to her. She took it with a thank you grin, and began to wipe her face and chest down.

"You didn't see anyone at all?" Jerry asked after a few moments.

"No. I turned around and was sprayed with blood. I figured that was reason enough to hide."

"Are you sure?" He asked.

Lucas responded for her, "She's scared, Jerry, leave her be."

Jerry brought his mouth down to Lucas' ear and whispered. "Maybe, you shouldn't be talking to her about this."

Kailin could hear him clearly, but pretended to wait by looking around. In her hand was the blood covered tissue, after a moment she shoved it into her pocket.

"Kailin." A dark voice spoke.

Both Jerry and Lucas looked up at the dark man behind her, and Kailin turned to face him.

"We were so rudely interrupted." Anthony said and stepped forward.

"Leave me be, Anthony. I have no desire to speak with you." Kailin told him with disgust in her voice.

He smiled showing his fangs, "Come now, we are both aware that you will someday have to face what you have done."

"Who is this?" Jerry questioned.

Kailin had all but forgotten the humans behind her, she turned her head slightly. "Remain silent." She ordered them, then turned her eyes back to the Mephis in front of her.

As soon as her eyes were on Anthony, three Mephis dropped to the ground and hissed behind the two men. Kailin twirled around, and Anthony took the opportunity to wrap his arm around her neck and chest. She cried out as he held her close to him as tightly as possible.

Both Jerry and Lucas turned to the strange gray creatures behind them. They slowly circled the humans, preparing to attack them.

Anthony's hand ran up to Kailin's forehead, and his mouth went to her ear. "Have you ever truly seen the beauty of a Mephis eating, Kailin?" His slimy voice asked.

She tried to pull away, but his grasp was to strong.

Hearing him laugh, she took a deep breath and looked around. "Never imagined, I would return so strong, did you? Not the pathetic vampire I once was. I've spent all my time, watching you, studying you, waiting on you."

"Call them off, Anthony!" Kailin screamed, when one of the Mephis tried to claw Lucas. He jumped back almost into another to escape the sharp claws.

She felt his cold, wet tongue run from her jaw to her upper cheek. "Do you realize how powerful your blood could make me? Just a few drops, and I could walk in the day light, just like Leila." He whispered into her ear.

Her hands wrapped around his arm that was holding her chest tightly. "Let the humans go, they have nothing to do with this."

"Exactly, that is why they are nothing more then food at the moment." He chuckled, as the Mephis continued to play with the two police officers.

"What do you want from me?" Kailin cried, she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye.

"I want you to be our queen. To willingly give us your life essence, and to help us control the world. Together, Kailin, we could rule. Forcing the humans to be nothing more then cows to us, and the other vampires would be nothing more then a dream."

"I fight for neither side. I allow you to live in peace."

"Peace? Peace? You think living in the sewers, feeding on the filth of this world is peace. Do you believe that having to hide from all other vampires is peace? We are at war, we are the enemies of all vampires and humans alike. And you, you are our mother. Will you allow your children to die? Your very creation to be destroyed?"

Kailin whimpered as his squeeze on her became tighter, "I am not your mother. The Mephis were a mistake, and horrible, cruel trick played upon me."

She watched Lucas and Jerry stuck between the three Mephis, they had no idea what these creatures were. They had no way of escaping. Whenever they tried to get past, a fist full of razor sharp claws would reach out to them. Both men held horror within their eyes, and she doubted they were even aware of the conversation being had between Anthony and her. She tried to keep her eyes on them, so that her captor wouldn't be aware of the movement above the rooftops. It might have been more Mephis, but something told her that it was Mathias.

"Your blood is but a poison to us if stolen, but a serum if given. Allow me one taste, and your humans may go free." His hand on her forehead moved to her hair, she could feel his thin fingers weave between her strands of hair. He yanked her head down revealing her neck to him, and ran his teeth over her soft skin.

"I will not strengthen you, ever!" She snarled. "Mathias! Help me!" She cried out, remembering his words that he was always close enough to hear her. If he didn't then Tzion was speaking the truth, he did wish her harm.

Anthony's head popped up, and she felt both he and her being picked up in the air and tossed into a brick wall. The Mephis around Lucas and Jerry attacked. Khaldun ran over to try and help her out of the Mephis grip. While Mathias went to fight the three Mephis that were chasing the humans. She heard a scream as she struggled in Anthony's arms.

His hand covered her mouth, as Khaldun tried to pry them away from her.

"Fool!" Anthony barked, and then bit into Khaldun's arm.

He pulled his arm back, revealing a large chunk missing from his forearm. "Let her go!" Khaldun ordered, and pulled a knife from his belt. He jabbed in through the side of Anthony's neck, and with a shriek, he let her go.

Khaldun pulled Kailin off him with one arm, she held onto to his uninjured arm with both hands. Anthony whaled around for several moments, before the knife dropped to the ground.

His dark eyes looked up at Kailin, as Khaldun shoved her behind him. "Soon, Kailin, you will not be able to deny my wishes." As he spoke he slowly transformed into the gray drone Mephis, he attached himself to the brick wall and began to climb up.

Both Khaldun and she watched him disappear over the ledge. Her hands shook on the elder's arm, she hadn't been so afraid in such a long time. This was a man of her nightmares, and not even Damon could bring fear into her heart in such a way. Seeing him in the club had frightened her, but his outright attack on her had brought terror into her heart.

"Are you alright?" Khaldun's deep voice asked, turning around to face her.

"I'm fine." She answered, before he ran past her to help Mathias.

Kailin turned around to see Jerry laying against the building with Lucas kneeled over him. Khaldun and Mathias behead the last Mephis, and then Jareth jumped down off the building across the street. Lycorisa made her appearance from a shadow.

Kailin made her way over to Jerry, his stomach held four puncture wounds. One of the Mephis must of tried to push their hand through him. Lucas looked up at her, as his partner breathed heavily trying to hang onto life.

"You should get him to a hospital." Kailin told Lucas, kneeling down.

He nodded, and ran towards the car to radio in for help.

Standing up, she looked at Mathias and his group. "We should leave." She said and then jumped up onto the nearest building, and began her journey home.

---***---
Akela stood on the building and stared down as Lucas approached the car. Kailin and the others jumped onto the roof and disappeared into the distance. It didn't matter that Mathias had disobeyed her at the moment, she would deal with that later. Right now, she had to erase the memories of these humans and replace them with ones more acceptable. She racked her mind as she listened to Lucas frantically speaking into the radio. What could she possibly do with those wounds? It would almost be better if she killed both men, so that they would never be found.

She finally decided on the story, and was about to install it into their minds, when a soft hand touched hers. Slowly, she turned her head to look at Tzion. His goatee parted telling her that he was smiling, and then he looked back down at the human.

"Let them be." He said.

"But, he knows." She objected, looking down at Lucas as he ran back to his friend's side.

He nodded which she could see out of the corner of her eye, "It is time that he knows. The prophecies are playing out as written, we must make haste to strengthen Kailin."

Turning his back to her, he walked into the shadows. Akela stared down at them, watching the ambulance drive up and then men run over to help the dark man. After a few moments, he was on a stretcher and being placed into the vehicle. Lucas walked over to climb inside, but not before he looked up at the building.

They both made eye contact, but he didn't seem to question the woman standing there watching him. With one final glance, he climbed inside, and Akela went to ensure that her puppets at the club were performing as told.

---***---
Her finger pressed the button, and she could hear the buzz noise coming from the mansion. Waiting for a moment, there was no question as to who was there, the gates only opened for her entry. Kailin made her way down the paved driveway and to the front door. The same guard from before stood waiting for her, and allowed her entrance. The whole scene felt like deja-vu as she walked down the halls behind the small man.

He opened the door to Tzion's bedroom, but Kailin remained in the hall. "Please, seat me in a library, I will not enter his bedroom again."

The small man nodded, and walked across the hall and opened the door. It was the library, and when Kailin entered he shut the door behind her.

Pulling off her cloak, she laid it on the chair beside the door, revealing her jeans, black boots, and light blue shirt. The room was beautiful, the built in bookshelves lined the walls. Everything had a gold framing, even the plants gave off an unearthly elegance. Walking over to the desk in the center, she ran her eyes over some of the paperwork. Nothing that was of too much interest, her eyes fell on the painting behind the desk. It was of her as a young girl, no more then eight years old.

She stepped around the desk to get a better look, the detail was extraordinary. The white dress she wore was familiar as she stood in front of her old home. In the distance, her five year old sister made her way down the steps. Kailin's eyes looked over all the painting, everything was as if it had been stolen from her memories. Then the red eyes caught her attention to the right of her house in the distant forest, a pair of red slanted eyes watched her. Yet on the left of her home, a large shadow stood with it's interest on her as well.

Her fingers lifted up from her side, and she touched the shadow. "Mathias." She mumbled.

"Indeed." Tzion answered, as he shut the door. "Always watching you, waiting for you to make an error so that he can justify killing you."

Kailin turned around to look at him, still wearing black clothing. "What are the red eyes? Why are they watching me?"

"They are the future, and they are watching Leila, not you." He walked over to her, placing his hands behind his back, and looked over the painting. "This was my first painting of you, long before you were born."

"Before I was born?" She asked, turning to look at it.

"Would you like something to drink?" He asked, and walked over to the bar.

Vampires didn't drink alcohol, it affected them far to seriously. They would loose control in violent ways, and only wish to feed without being stealthy. Tzion poured himself a wine glass full of water, and held it out to her.

"No, I am fine. You said you were going to tell me what is happening?"

He nodded, "Anthony has been following you for sometime now."

"And what of Samuel?" She asked, sitting at the desk's chair.

"It is true, he did survive and has since become a Mephis."

Kailin looked at the several nameless books on the table, "How? I bit him first?"

"There is a very small period of time after someone if formed into a Hallowed, that is a Mephis or Bowery were to bite then yes they could turn. However, the time is extremely short, and Anthony was simply lucky to have discovered it."

"I was there when Samuel died, he… it can't be."

Tzion sat in the chair across the desk, "He died because we all die to become an immortal, but you were to young to understand."

"Why was I never told of his survival?"

"Because you would try to search him out, and in turn become one of your own creations."

Kailin held her eyes on Tzion for a short moment, then swallowed. "What do you mean?"

His hand reached across the desk, picking up the tattered old brown book. There was a silver chain wrapped around it, that he removed and placed back on the desk. "This is the Mephis's bible, written by Anthony at first and then over the years it was added to, by other Mephis and demons as well, who knew of fate and magic." He slowly thumbed through it, trying to find the correct page.

"Here it is." He said and cleared his throat. "Our creator shall come giving her blood to walk in the day, her ability to comprehend higher thoughts, and the secrets of the enemies species. She will sacrifice herself for us then resurrect as anew breed, a better breed, a stronger breed. She shall lead us into battle against the world, and we will be victorious.

"We will control humans and vampires alike, her hate will grow strong. Be weary, however, for she may become the ultimate enemy. Fate can only play so much of a role in this. Be careful of where you step, fore you might step on her without knowing. Our creator is our destroyer, as it has always been." He looked up at her, waiting for a response.

Her eyes met his, "I don't understand."

"Let's me explain it to you this way then. They are trying to resurrect your sister, and they will succeed, I have foreseen this. The problem is, she isn't their creator and she won't be able to accomplish those feats as Anthony hopes she will. He knows you are his true creator, but turning you will be much harder then resurrecting her. However, they will come for you, when they discover she is nothing more then a Mephis who can walk at low sun."

"And exactly, what do they want with me?"

"When you give your blood, they will be come the ultimate vampires, and you will drink the blood of your sister, the purest Mephis blood, and become one of them. When this process is complete, we will not be able to stop them or you. They will destroy the entire world, and be left with nothing but each other to eat."

"I have already told Anthony that I would not share my blood with him." She told him, her voice a little shaken.

"You would have no choice in the matter. You see where it says be weary? That means that this fate has two sides, you can be their leader or their death. The choice is up to you."

Kailin stood up and glared down at him, "You mean to tell me, that you have brought me here, just to tell me that you wish me to kill the Mephis. Wasn't it you that said I wasn't ready not to long ago?"

He nodded, "I am giving you all my knowledge and power, so that you will be far more advanced then any other vampire."

"Why?"

"So, that you can fight and win."

"And what if you gave me your powers and I turn?"

"Then I can only hope that you remember what it is that really makes you."

She remained quiet for a moment, thinking of the last few moments.

Tzion stared at her, waiting for her to respond. "I have always had problems reading your deep thoughts, and your true intentions. I knew then you would be a strong vampire even when you were extremely young." He stood up and walked to stand in front of her. "Only you, can defeat the Mephis, and only you can defeat us." He took her hands into his own. "A choice must be made, Kailin."

The library doors were pushed open, and Kailin looked into Mathias' eyes. He stopped in front of the desk, his eyes angry as they tried to pierce through Tzion. "Leave her be, Tzion!" He ordered.

Akela trotted in behind him, "I'm sorry, Tzion, but he wouldn't wait any longer. I tried to control him, but…"

"It is alright, Akela." Tzion said, and then looked at the large men. "Why should I leave her be, so that you can cause her more harm?"

"Me? Cause her harm? You are the one trying to poison her with your own blood, how dare you feed…"

"Silence, Mathias. You know not of what you speak!" He threw up his hand.

Kailin slipped around Tzion and headed for her cloak on the large chair next to the door. She wasn't going to stand around and listen to them argue, she had gotten what she came for.

"Where are you going?" Both men asked her.

Picking up her cloak, she turned to them. "I don't have time to watch your pissing contest. Good day." She told them, and then headed towards the door.

"Akela!" Tzion shouted.

The pale woman turned to Kailin, "You may not leave." She said.

"You going to stop me?" She pushed through her, but Akela pushed her back.

Mathias blocked Tzion's exit from behind the desk, and refused to move.

"Stand silent." Akela ordered, and Kailin's face went inane. Her cloak dropped to the floor, "She is but a humble servant now, Tzion." She said to him.

"Thank you, please escort yourself out." Tzion commanded.

Akela bowed, and walked towards the door, shutting them when she stepped out into the hall.

"She isn't strong enough for this, Tzion. It wasn't to occur until she is an elder, only then can her aura control such powers."

"The prophecies have begun, we cannot wait!" Tzion yelled.

"You started it when you over burdened her aura by feeding from her." Mathias bulged out his chest to intimidate him.

"Nine elders have been waiting for thousands of years to accomplish this. I would not betray them now, it is time." He pointed to the chair, and took a seat in the chair that Kailin had previously occupied.

Mathias nodded, deciding it was best to have a civilized conversation with him for once. "I can already see, changes in her personality and her way of life. This is too much for her." He said as he took a seat.

"You saw her there unable to fight Anthony, frightened. He held her, and you were helpless to protect her until she called out to you." Tzion looked over at Kailin, who still stood without motion. "Give her your powers, Mathias. So that injury will no longer encumber her."

Mathias had the elder ability to heal faster then any other vampire, but even such a useful power could harm Kailin. "She can't handle it. It says it needs to occur after she had mastered her own elder ability. She is still eight hundred years away from that."

"The two of us, she could handle with ease. If you do this for me, I will ask no one else."

"If she is overpowered and turns, the she will be worse then the prophecies foretell."

Tzion stood up and walked over to check Kailin. He placed his hand on her cheek, and ran his fingers down gently. "Over two hundred years of watching her, protecting her, one can not help but have feelings for her now?"
Standing up he watched Tzion, "Feelings?"

"Yes, you are not complete unless she is near are you, Mathias? Have you not wondered what sharing such a pleasurable experience would be like?"

"This is insane, Tzion!" He yelled and pointed at him.

"I do not have to wonder, of course, I never really did." He brushed her hair away from her neck, "Are you truly upset that we exchanged blood or that I touched her first?" He turned to look at Mathias, who stood with his eyes wide.

"Are you trying to imply that I am jealous? She could be our deadliest enemy."

"You've watched her, stalked her. There is no one in the world, not even me, who knows more about her. Don't you want to know all about her? You can just by feeding from her." He ran his finger from her jaw to her shoulder. "Her blood is far sweeter then you could ever imagine."

Mathias swallowed, "I will not bring any more harm to her, then you already have."

"As your master, I know what you feel and think. You've had this desire for her for some time now. When did it start? When you saw her slay her first Mephis? Perhaps sooner, when she took her own beloved sister's death into her own hands?"

The look of hate grew in Mathias' eyes.

"No? Sooner? When she continued onward even though she had been transformed into something she knew nothing about? Maybe, it wasn't an instant, but something about her that replays in your mind. Her determination not to belong to the vampire world? The lust for vengeance that she fulfills whenever she feeds." He grinned when Mathias looked down for a moment, "That's it, you enjoy watching her feed. Only the most cruel and evil of humans for our Kailin."

"Enough!" He screamed, "Tell Akela to release her and let us leave."

"Tonight, an elder will feed from her. You have the option of allowing it to be you or Akela."

Mathias looked at Kailin, and then back to his master. "Just, let her be."

He grabbed her arm and pulled her over to Mathias. "Feed from her, you stubborn goon. You have been wanting to since the moment you knew her. Taste of her blood, and fight it no more." He said, then shoved her at him.

His arms caught her as she fell into his chest, "Tzion, she isn't strong enough."

"Worry not of tomorrow, partake in your desire tonight." He told him as he walked over to the door, "I will leave
you in peace."

Tzion stepped out into the hallway, and looked at Akela, who had been waiting for him. "When he is feeding, release her. I want her to feel him forcing himself upon her."

Akela nodded, as he walked down the hall.