Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 13

Mathias looked down at Kailin, her eyes still vacant. "I can't do this." He placed his hand on her shoulder, brushing back her hair. "Me or Akela." His voice mumbled.

Gently he brought his lips to her neck, giving a kiss over the area he was about to break. His other hand slid up to her cheek, holding her head gently in his hands. His fangs revealed themselves, and he softly bit into her. When the whole were in place, he began to suckle.

Kailin jerked, her hands reaching up to his chest and grabbing his shirt. To his surprise, she didn't pull away. He wanted her to pull away to tell him to stop, and yell at him. Somehow, Tzion made too much sense, and he knew he would regret it soon. His heart told him that he had been tricked and blackmailed, but his mind said this was the right thing to do.

Her fingers tangled up in his shirt, pulled him closer to her. When he felt her legs weaken, he wrapped his arm around her waist. Though her blood was sweet like Tzion said, he practically choked it down with guilt. He stopped when she let out a sigh, and looked into her face.

"I'm sorry." He told her as her sad eyes looked into his own.

She said nothing, just continued to stare at him. He looked down at her lips, and brought his blood stained lips to her own. The kiss lasted for some time, until Kailin had collect all of her own blood from his mouth. Then her fangs turned to his neck, unexpectedly and she bit deeply into him.

Mathias controlled his healing, allowing her to drink from him. He had never experienced a blood exchange before and his body was racked with unbearable pain. It seemed like an eternity before spasms of pleasure filled his body. He didn't want her to stop, but she collapsed to the floor.

Kneeling over her, he checked to make sure she was alright. The library door opened, and Akela stepped in with a grin.

"How was it?" She asked, standing over him and Kailin.

"I'm taking her home." He pushed his arms under her shoulders and knees.

"I tried to make it as pleasant of an experience for you as possible, I thought the kiss was a nice touch." She chuckled, "I think you would agree."

Mathias' eyes shot up to her, "How dare you violate her like that!"

"I could say the same for you. She was obviously under my control, and it was foolish of you to think, that after all that she has shown that she would given in to you so easily. I'm happy to know you true feelings for her now, however." She laughed, "Put her in the bed across the hall. Tzion still wishes to speak with you." Akela told him, and walked into the hallway and out of sight.

---***---
As soon as Mathias laid Kailin down, he knew what Tzion had done and was ashamed that a vampire as old as he was could fall for such simple trickery. He stared down at Kailin, her tight curls fallen over her face. She hadn't moved, and probably wouldn't until her aura was prepared to take on the extra burden that he had given her.

Before turning to leave, he brushed the hair away from her lips. Heading down the hall, he ignored Tzion's calls to him as he rushed for the front door. The dark wooden door laid before him and as he opened it, Tzion stood before him.

"Leaving?" He asked.

"Tzion, I have nothing more to say to you. Out of my way." He barked, and pushed him aside. His feet made loud echoes as he walked down the stairs and past the posted guard.

"I'm pleased that after all this time, you still listen to your master."

Mathias stopped walking, keeping his back to Tzion as he thought for a moment of what to say. Without turning to look at him, he spoke. "Listen to you? You used your ability on me to trick me into doing it."

"Did I? I can't force you to do anything that you don't truly wish to do." Tzion folded his hands together, watching the back of his peon.

"This was meant to occur eight hundred years from now, and you are playing with the fate of this entire planet."

"You assisted me, remember that." He said, and then stepped into the house shutting the door.

Mathias turned around when he heard the door shut, and then looked at the guard. He ignored his presence and just looked forward into the darkness. Spinning around he headed for the front gate, he knew it was a mistake to go into the mansion, but he couldn't risk Tzion feeding from her again. He knew that Kailin could accept both his and Tzion's memories and abilities, but any more of that would put her on the brink. If her soul became more powerful then her aura, there was no doubt in his mind that she would turn to the Mephis and become their queen.

Walking through the pitch black yard, he heard the sounds of small pebbles under his feet shift. When he reach the front gate, it opened allowing him out. He could clearly see Khaldun waiting for him, as he exited the estate.

"You were in there to long, Mathias." Khaldun's deep voice said.

"I know. Where are the others?" He spoke over the sound of the gate closing.

"I sent them back to Kailin's apartment to watch over Gabrielle." He said and as Mathias went to walk past him, he grabbed his arm. "What happened in there?"

Mathias looked into his long time friend's eyes. He already knew that something of dire importance had occurred, there was no use lying to him. "Tzion used his persuasion ability on me."

It went silent for a moment, and then Khaldun asked. "To persuade you to do what?"

Stepping back, his arm slid from Khaldun's grasp. "I have watched her since she was born. As soon as Eva told me that she had seen the mother in her dreams, I ran to her side. I would lay down my life for her, you know that, don't you?"

"If you are speaking of Kailin then yes, I know."

Mathias swallowed, "Then why do the prophecies portray me as the traitor? What could I possibly do that might upset the order of things?" He looked at his friend, who had no answer. "The worst part of all this, is that no matter what I do, that could be the moment that I betray her. If I leave her alone, then without me she might turn to them. If I interrupt her life, then that might be the moment. Or perhaps, I have already betrayed her without knowing it."

"Mathias, when you betray her, I know that it won't be done on purpose. You can't dwell on what you can not change. The prophecies have been our guidance since Tzion's master, and there is no way to change them." He looked at the light that flickered from the mansion window in the distance, and then back to Mathias. "You must do what you feel is right. In the end, that is all that you can hope to accomplish."

He shook his head, "It's not fair, that I watch her, protect her and when all has occurred as foreseen, it will be me that she forsakes. I…" His eyes fell to the ground, "How can Tzion, a man of pure malice, be her savior?"

"Come now, Mathias. He is not of pure malice. Tzion is wise beyond our imaginations, and has seen more then we could ever hope to. His life has been dedicated to this moment, to this woman, you are too hard on him."

He turned to walk away and then swung back around, "You are not his creation!"
He yelled, hate filled his voice. "You were not forced by that man to become something you never wanted to be! You have no idea what he is like! I know, I know far more then you do! That man is evil, it over whelms me just to stand next to him. There is no way, that he can be her savior!"

"Calm yourself, Mathias. I will not stand here and allow you to yell at me in such a manner. None of this is my fault. Now tell me what did Tzion persuade you to do?"

Mathias looked at his large friend, anger left his eyes and was replaced with shame. "I fed from her."

Khaldun said nothing just looked away, his face empty as he thought. "Are you quite certain that it was Tzion who tricked you into this?"

"Yes, I am certain. What the hell is that suppose to mean?"

"It's no secret as to how you've come to view Kailin. Perhaps, it didn't take any of his abilities at all to force you into such closeness with her."

Anger enraged his heart, and Mathias ran forward to attack. He brought up his fist, and as it came down he could feel Khaldun's hand grab his wrist. He whaled and kicked for a moment, when he realized he was being held off the ground.

"Calm yourself." Khaldun said, and then shoved him backwards. "It was only a question, not an accusation."

Taking a breath, "I am certain that I would never do that to Kailin on my own accord. I, also, do not understand where everyone had gathered such thoughts as to my feelings towards her. My task is to protect her, nothing more."

Khaldun gave a nod, "I understand, and I apologize for my allegation. It is nothing but a rumor, and I should have silenced myself."

Fixing his jacket, Mathias gave him a short nod. "Don't tell the others, I will not have them look down upon me for this."

He bowed his head, and began to walk towards the city lights. "You have my word."

---***---
Lucas sat in front of Captain Madison's desk, waiting for him to get off the phone. The night Jerry was attacked he was forced to tell the truth or make up a story that wouldn't be proven by the evidence left. Every fiber of his being told him to lie, but as he spoke he heard the truth pour from his lips to the uniformed officer.

Jerry had looked like he was going to make it the first day, but by this morning he was worse. His wife cried into Lucas' shoulder drowning out Jerry's loud, forced breaths. He held his hand when his heart stopped, and had to be pulled away when they tried to resuscitate him to no avail.

His partner died no more then four hours ago, and he was pulled into the police station instead of given time to grieve. The memory of his lips pushing out the air and then sucking them back in haunted his mind. Even after they pronounced him, Lucas remained at his side. His mind both irritated that he would give up so easily, and glad that the pain had stopped.

"Stark, you want to tell me about this bullshit report I have here?" Madison held up the police report on the incident, his words broke Lucas' thoughts.

"It's what happened, sir."

"You expect me to believe that little gray aliens killed a police officer?" He yelled, slamming the paper onto his desk. It shook under his fist, and Lucas reached out his hand to catch a picture frame that never fell.

"They weren't aliens, they were… Well, I don't know what they where, sir, but I swear on my badge that that is what happened."

The captain picked up the report and began to read, "As we ran from the gray creatures, one jumped in front of us. It shoved it's fingers into Detective Penn's abdomen lifting him off the ground. After dropping him, it turned to me. When it was about to attack, a man named Mathias, who I knew from the missing body case, fought it off…"

Lucas began to cry, trying to hold his sniffles, but they all came out.

"You wrote this bullshit!"

"It sounds crazy, I know. But I swear to you that it's true, I wish Jerry could tell you for himself…"

"He can't he's dead. An officer lost his life, and you are lying to cover up the killer."
"I am not lying!" He yelled, and stood up.

Madison's eyes widened with surprise, and then returned to their angry glare. "I've talked with the commissioner, and we think it would be best if you handed over your badge until the investigation is completed." He held out his hand, "Your gun too."

Lucas gave three short nods as he pulled out his badge and gun, laying them on Madison's desk.

"I, also, think you should see the psychiatrist here. Besides being arrested, it's the only way I will even let you in here again, understand?"

He nodded, and turned to head for the door. Placing his hand on the knob, he heard Madison clear his throat.

"Penn was a great cop, Stark. We need to find his killer, you are the only witness."
"I wrote down the names of two other people that were there, and then descriptions of the two unnamed people."

He sighed, "You think this Kailin Drake had something to do with it?"

Lucas nodded, "She was there, I am telling the truth."

Madison tapped his finger on the desk, "We will see if she has anymore names. Now, go home and rest. Come to your senses, eh?"

---***---
Sitting up, she gasped loudly and looked around her room. The clothes she was wearing were the same ones that she had left to visit Tzion in, but she was no longer at his home. Kailin ran her hands over her face and to her neck, where she felt a slight sting. Standing up, she walked over to the make-up stand and looked into the mirror. Two puncture holes laid on her neck, slightly further apart then the scars that Tzion had left behind.

Her mind racked for an answer, but she couldn't remember. How did she get home? Who had bitten her? Her head began to ache and her stomach felt queasy, so she sat back down on the bed. Still holding her wounds, she looked up when a knock came to her door.

"Kailin, some cops are here to talk to you." Gabrielle's soft voice came from behind the door.

"I'll be out in a minute." She yelled, and then ran to her closet to find a turtle neck sweater.

Finding her dark red one, she pulled it on over her shirt and walked out into the living room. Two uniformed officers stood behind the couch. Both had dark hair, but one was an older Italian, and the second was a tall Hispanic. Gabrielle twisted her body in flirting positions as she spoke to them.

"Miss Drake?" The Italian asked.

"Yes." She walked over to couch, "Gabrielle, go do something."

"But…"

"Go." She snapped, and Gabrielle huffed then walked into her room.

"I'm Officer Facciuto, and this is my partner Officer Callas." He pointed to his partner.

"Is there something the matter?"

He looked over at Gabrielle's door when she stuck her head out.

"When can I come out?" She asked.

"How about never?" Kailin snapped, and then watched her shut her door. Her eyes went back to the officers.

"A couple days ago an officer was attacked and killed, we have a witness saying that you were there the night of the attack and witnessed it." He told her, pulling a pad of paper and a pin out from his inside jacket pocket.

"Two days ago?" She asked.

Both men nodded.

"In the morning I was here, during the afternoon I was at my office, and I was at the Moonlight Club for a short while after that." She had to tell them about the Moonlight Club in case anyone remembered her being there.

Both officers looked at each other, and then Facciuto spoke. "The Moonlight Club was attacked that night as well, and where the officer was found wasn't to far from there."

"Attacked?" She covered her mouth and looked surprised, "Was everyone alright? The bartenders there are my friends."

"No ma'am, we are afraid there were a few causalities." He took on a sympathetic look and then went back to a more serious face, "So, you weren't there?"

"I was, but there was a man who was bothering, so I took a cab home. must have been around nine o'clock. I normally walk home, but something about him made me feel uneasy."

"You made the right choice then. So, are you saying you did not witness the officer being attacked?"

She shook her head, "No, Gabrielle can tell you, I was home not to long after nine o'clock." She called out to Gabrielle, who stepped outside of her room. "What time did I get home last night?"

"About nine thirty or so."

Kailin looked back at them, "See."

He nodded, "It was another officer who identified you as a witness."

"Not Detective Stark?"

Both officers gave her a strange look, "Yes, ma'am."

"That asshole has been stalking me ever since that body went missing down the street. He thinks I stole it, and he won't leave me alone. Almost every time I walk out that door, he is there harassing me."

"Why didn't you report this?"

Kailin folded her arms, and pretended like she was holding back tears. "I didn't think anyone would believe me, I mean after all he is a cop." Her eyes continued to flutter, "I heard of people disappearing after accusing a cop of such things, so I thought it was best not to say anything."

For the first time Callas spoke, "Alright, thank you for your time, ma'am. I think we have everything we need."

"Yes, thank you, ma'am." Facciuto echoed his partner, then opened the door behind him. "We will contact you if we have any more questions."

When the door shut Kailin looked at her roommate, "Why can't you stay in the room when I tell you too? I have a plan when I want you to disappear like that." She snapped.

"Sorry, I didn't know you were looking to get Stark fired." Gabrielle folded her arms, and walked into the kitchen. "What's with the turtle neck?"

---***---
After two weeks, Lucas was no longer a police officer, and the investigation of his partners death continued. Unfortunately, he found himself to be a suspect in the murder, since he was the only one there and his story didn't seem to hold an ounce of truth. Everything he had ever worked for had been taken away, and it seemed to him that it all started when he met Kailin. Somehow, he wasn't sure how, but this was all her fault.

Standing in front of her apartment door, he knocked, not noticing the doorbell to the right of the door. He prepared himself, not sure as to what he was going to say. He had thought about everything on the way here, angry words to pleas, nothing seemed right. The more he thought about the night, the more confused he would become. Grey monsters attacking them it was far fetched to say the least, but he was sure that Kailin was there. Why hadn't she told them that she had seen them too?

The door opened with a slight creak, and Kailin looked him over. His brown coat buttoned up, and his arms to the side with black gloves on. He looked like a wet puppy that just wanted to come inside for a little bit.

"What?" Kailin snapped.

It was a greeting that he wasn't expecting. "I…you were there, why didn't you tell them?" His anger flared as he looked into her eyes, they were empty, holding no sympathy for him or his partner. "You got me fired!" He barked before she could respond, "You got me fired, my friend murdered, and you won't even help find his killers. What the fuck is wrong with you?"

Kailin's mouth remained open for a moment, and then she closed it. Stepping aside, she let him in, and shut the door. "For one thing, I didn't get your partner killed, that was not my doing. Put blame where it belongs."

He turned around to looked at her, as he took off his jacket. "You saw them didn't you? Those gray monsters?" The anger in his voice left to be replaced with confusion and sadness.

She sighed, "There are many things in this world in which some do not understand. Things that must be hidden from normal human eyes, and those creatures are one of them."

The tight clamp around his heart was released, when she spoke of the monsters. They were real, he wasn't crazy. "What are they?"

She shook her head, "No, the question is what are you?"

Raising his eyebrow, he watched her point at the couch for him to sit down. He followed her lead, when she took a seat.

"Long ago, humans were birthed from the ocean, and continued to grow through the help of the Higher Being…"

"You mean God?"

She stared at him for a moment, thinking of a response, "Not the God that you learned about in Church. No one knows what the Higher Being truly is, only that its there. There is also an Ultimate Evil. These two beings define for us what is right and wrong, and has been that way since the beginning of time."

"God and the Devil, ok."

Kailin rolled her eyes, "After the Higher Being made humans, then the Ultimate Evil made his own creature…"

"Those gray monsters?"

"Lucas, if you want me to tell you what's going on, then shut up."

He nodded, and leaned back in the couch and folded his arms, "Sorry, ok, go ahead."

"Not those gray monsters, I made those. I'll explain that in a moment. No, the Ultimate Evil made vampires, the first kind called the Bowery, and later on a second kind called the Pyrrhonians."

"Vampires?" Lucas looked like he was trying to decide whether to believe it or mock her for it.

"Yes, Lucas, vampires."

The dead seriousness of her eyes, pulled away any mockery he had from his mind.

"In order to stop these vampires from destroying the humans, the Higher Being made his own vampire called the Hallowed. We have been fighting a continuous war since the beginning against the vampires who wish to enslave human kind as cattle."

He swallowed, "We? So, you are a…"

"Hallowed, yes."

"And Gabrielle is…"

"A Pyrrhonian." Kailin went quiet for a moment, allowing Lucas to digest the information she had just given him. "But, see before the Higher Being made the Hallowed, he made a powerful human that could hunt down and kill vampires. But he wasn't enough, and the vampires continued to prosper far to well. You are one of these powerful humans."

Lucas stood up, and walked into the kitchen next to the table. "This is stupid… ridiculous." He rubbed his temples.

"Those gray monsters are creatures made by accident a little less the two hundred years ago."

"You are two hundred years old?" He turned around to look at her still sitting on the couch.

"I am a bit older then that, but yes." Standing up, she folded her hands in front of her, "I can not tell those police officers about what happen to your partner, because they can not know about us. I tell you because the Higher Being gave you the ability to listen and understand such things, like your father."

Lucas was looking a bit pale, and sat down in the chair at the table. "I can't decide whether to believe you or call you insane."

Sitting down in the chair next to him, she nodded. "I wouldn't believe me either, but it's the sad truth. The Bloody Hands are those gray creatures, called the Mephistopheleans."

"Like the Demon?"

Kailin nodded, "Yeah, like the demon. All vampires, except the Hallowed have a demonic name. I can not tell you why that is, because I don't know."

Gabrielle peeked out the door, and then pointed at the blinds in the dinning room. Kailin shot up, and closed them so that she could come out.

Slowly the red head made her way to the table and took a seat next to Lucas. "There is nothing more that you can do, Lucas. His death will always remain a mystery to the humans, but at least you know." Gabrielle told him.

"They have me as a suspect, and I am afraid they might try me as his killer."

Kailin shook her head, "I am sure that won't happen, other then you were there, they have no proof."

"Reasonable doubt." He stood up, "I need to go, this has been to much for me."

They both stood up, and watched him walk out the door. Lucas headed back
down the hall and into the elevator, he continued to think over Kailin's words. That was not what he had expected to find out, and now had wished that he was indeed crazy. As the elevator doors open, a dark man with a goatee grinned at him.

"Hello, Lucas. My name is Tzion, and I believe I have answers for you, that Kailin could never answer."

Lucas stared at him as the man's thin fingers offered him a card, he took it from him.

"Come to my home, when you wish to know the entire truth."

He nodded, and watched Tzion walk out of the building and into the sunlight. He looked at the card for a moment, and then shoved it into his pocket. Things were becoming more then he thought he could handle, but somehow knew he had to.