Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 14

Night had fallen and Kailin decided to leave the apartment to feed. Gabrielle had told her, that she would be leaving as well and not to expect her to be there when she returned. After what had just occurred she was glad that her roommate wouldn't be there to question her. Lips, cheeks, throat, and hands were all covered in blood from her latest kill. She didn't understand what had just happened, except this over whelming desire to cause the dying woman more pain then was sufferable.

Instead of allowing them to slip into the dark embrace of death, she continued to pull her back as she chewed away at her neck. It had been an animalistic desire to consume the being instead of using her to continue her undead life. When her senses came through, she realized what she was doing and dropped the women to the ground. Still alive, but gasping for air as her esophagus had been chewed open by Kailin's teeth. She took a moment of pity and snapped her neck so that the pain would stop.

Suddenly, she was scared of herself and wanted nothing more then to return to the sanctuary of her home. The darkness concealed her as she jumped from one rooftop to the next, cars and people busily going on with their lives below. She hated those damnable humans, living their lives so care-free. Hated them? Kailin shook her head, and took a deep breath. Ever since her second visit to Tzion's, she had been experiencing sudden changes in her mood. At times, even finding Gabrielle to be nothing more then a maggot, which she could crush under her foot. Other times, she was back to her old self, still hateful and cynical, but about being a vampire, not loving it.

"Kailin." The hand grabbed her upper arm.

Lost so deep in thought she hadn't even noticed anyone was around, and as the voice called her name as she stood on the edge of the building, it almost caused her to fall to the ground below.

"God damn it, Mathias!" She snapped. She was about to continue her spew of profanity, until she saw his mini gang on the rooftop as well.

"Are you alright?" Mathias asked, as she stared at Khaldun, who seemed intent on watching her every move.

"I'm fine, why?" Her voice was full of anger, as she ripped her arm from his grasp. "Stop grabbing my arm."

He ignored her last comment, and continued on. "You just tore that woman apart." Pulling a handkerchief out of his coat pocket, he handed it to her.

Kailin took it and began to wipe down her face and hands, not saying anything while they waited. "I said I'm fine." She retorted, and offered him the blood soaked cloth back.

Mathias' hand engulfed both the handkerchief and Kailin's own hand. "I've never seen you feed like that before. It's because of what happen at Tzion's isn't it?"

Her eyes had been on Khaldun the entire time, his stare was haunting. "What happen at Tzion's?" She asked.

He bit down on his tongue, she didn't remember. Akela had pulled any memory of the night from her head, and now she was clueless to the fact that both he and she had exchanged blood. Perhaps it was better that she didn't know, and continued to trust him.

"You want to tell us something, Kailin?" Lycorisa asked.

"Yes." She said, and cleared her throat. "Stay the hell away from me!" Turning around she leapt to the next building and towards home.

Her home street was quite empty, and she was glad to be rid of the humans from before. Something about them made her blood boil over now, and even poor Mrs. Kraig had been a victim of her anger, not that she placed her hands on her. But she had given the old woman quite a scare, enough to keep her away for some time.

"Leave me alone!" Gabrielle's voice called out in the night.

Rushing to find out who she was yelling at, Kailin came to a stop on the roof across from their building.

"Gabrielle, you have it all wrong. I wasn't using…" Kristian told her. Both his hands were on her upper arms, and Gabrielle was helpless to fight back. He was far to strong for her to escape him.

"I don't care! Let me go!" She yanked back, but his arms didn't even move to take the blow.

He tightened his grip, "Gabby, lets not let it end like this."

"You are hurting me!" She cried.

Something in Gabrielle's cry caused Kailin's heart to enrage. Normally she would of jumped down and pulled him off, telling him to never come back. She wanted him to receive pain, indescribable pain.

She jumped down from the building and ran across the street, and before Kristian even noticed her presence, she sent a fist straight into the side of his face. Her other arm grabbed Gabrielle around the waist, so that he wouldn't take her with him when he flew into the brick building beside them.

Kristian looked up when he had completed his fall. Kailin put down her companion, and was about to tell him to get out of here, but then it took over. The anger and rage that she had felt with her meal. She charged him, and as Kristian went to stand up, Kailin lifted him up by his arms and threw him into the wall again. Her fists became her weapons as she plowed them into his face and chest consistently, until she heard the sound of breaking bones.

Stepping back, she let him fall to his hands and knees. The contentment she felt was only temporary because as soon as she saw another chance to give him pain, she began to kick him. His already wounded ribs were no match to her blows, and broke under a short series of kicks.

"Kailin, stop!" Gabrielle screamed.

Picking up Kristian, she threw him down the street in a blind rage. Then turned to Gabrielle who was petrified, but she never heard Kristian hit the ground. Turning back around, Mathias held the young vampire in one hand. He had caught him, and handed him to Khaldun.

"Calm down, Kailin." Mathias' words were soft and friendly. "We can help, there is something wrong with you and you need to…" He stopped, when he realized that Kailin wasn't even comprehending his words.

Her fangs were out, and she growled loudly. A moment of fear entered his heart, realizing she was doing a similar attack as a Mephis would under pressure. She charged and before her arms could reach him, he sent his flat hand into her upper chest, knocking her back to Gabrielle.

She laid on the ground and coughed for a moment, as Gabrielle kneeled down beside her and touched her forehead.

"Shh, Kailin, shh." Gabrielle told her, brushing her hair back.

Mathias came to stand over them.

"What's wrong with her?" The red head asked looking up at him.

"I don't know, lets get her in the house. See if we can calm her down in there." He leaned over and picked her up in his arms. "Khaldun, take Kristian home and speak to Tzion about this. Lycorisa and Jareth, you are on watch duty. Come get me if there is any Mephis trouble." Everyone nodded, and disappeared into the night. Mathias carried Kailin over to the apartment complex door, as Gabrielle entered the code in and opened the door for them. They stepped in, he hoped that the familiarity and peace of her home would calm her down enough so that she could understand what he needed to say to her.

---***---
Lucas stood across the desk from Tzion, looking at the young man that looked so withered. His fingers were so thin, and his face seemed to be sinking in on itself. He was sure that this Tzion was a vampire, and didn't understand why he had allowed himself to come into his lair. He didn't want to seem afraid, so he would occasionally look to the left and right at the built in book shelves, and pretend to read the titles of the books.

"I wrote them all." Tzion said.

Lucas looked back at him questioningly.

"Those novels, they don't have titles."

He cleared his throat, "So, you are a writer?"

Tzion chuckled, "Something like that. You see, Stark, I go into trances where I paint images, like the one behind me."

Lucas looked at the painting of the small girl in a white dress standing in front of a large house. He didn't give it much more time, not knowing that it was Kailin, nor seeing that the trees around the house spelt out his last name with their leaves.

Tzion continued realizing that Lucas wasn't going to give it anymore thought.
"When I awake from these trances, I then write the prophecy that they foretell."

"Prophecy?"

"Indeed. Since the presence of your family line in Kailin's life, your blood has been a major part in the future of everything you know." Tzion pointed at the chair behind him, "Why don't you sit?"

Lucas looked at it and then returned his eyes to the elder vampire, "I would prefer to stand."

"Afraid that I will try to feed from you? Whether you are sitting or standing I could grab you either way without you even so much as flinching, Stark."

Lucas swallowed.

"You know deep within that I have no evil intent to place upon you, so please sit." Tzion watched him sit. "The prophecies foretell four key players when the Mephis begin to overtake the world. The guardian, the protector, the savior, and the traitor. The Stark family bloodline has given birth to one son since Kailin's birth to become the protector."

"The protector?" Lucas shook his head, trying to figure out what wrong road he went down. Suddenly he was in crazy-ville and strangely enough people were making sense.

"Indeed to become the guardian's partner in destroying the Mephis. When your father came into Kailin's life, I knew that the prophecies would begin soon. I just didn't know how soon, but I am starting to see paths being played out. Kailin is not ready to fight the Mephis yet, and neither are you."

Lucas had realized as soon as Kailin told him that she was a vampire, that she was the very same woman that had hid in the sewers with his father. Tzion's words only confirmed what he thought he already knew. "Who are the others?"

"Kailin, of course, is the guardian. Mathias is the traitor, and I am the savior." Tzion opened the drawer of his desk and pulled out a pad of paper. In his elegant hand writing wrote down a name and street address, then offered the piece of paper over to Lucas. "This is the only vampire hunter that I know of that is still practicing. Beware though, Stark, he is a different kind of hunter. While you believe the Hallowed are decent vampires that should be allowed to live, and are able to see good and evil in all vampires. This hunter can not, his blood line was created before the Hallowed were created."

Lucas took the piece of paper, "Damon Anderson? This guy tried to murder my father, what am I suppose to do with him?"

"Learn from him. He can teach you much, and be truthful, but do not tell him everything. Damon may be a great hunter, but he is blinded by hate. He doesn't understand that there are two different types of hunters. If you show the same hate for Mephis towards all vampires while he teaches you, then you will be of great assistance to Kailin."

"Why would I want to do any of this?"

"Because, Stark, if all of us don't do our parts, the Mephis will turn humans into nothing more then cattle with no one to stand in their way."

The door opened, and Khaldun stepped in with a badly battered Kristian in his arms.

"What happened?" Tzion shot out of his seat, and went over to inspect his peon.

"It was Kailin." Khaldun's deep voice told him.

Lucas recognized the giant man from when they were attacked.

Tzion looked at Lucas, "Show yourself out, thank you for coming." He turned back to Khaldun, "Follow me." He ordered, and yelled to one of the servants to find Akela.

---***---
"Lay him down here." Tzion ordered Khaldun, as he opened a small bedroom door and pointed at the bed.

Khaldun did as he was told, and laid Kristian on the twin size bed. The blanket was brown and the room didn't seem like it belonged in the mansion. The furniture was old, worn, and scraped and the dark brown rug at the end of the bed had several holes in it. The only thing that reminded him that he was even in the mansion was the embroidered walls and the dark red carpet. After a moment, he was sure that this was Kristian's room, as there were several pictures of him and his family on the bookshelf, night stand, and dresser. He recognized the clothing from the 1930's.

Tzion sat down on the bed beside Kristian, and gentle ran his hand over his peon's forehead. He looked him over, and then up at Khaldun.

"What happen?"

The giant tried to find the words that could possibly explain what had occurred.

"Kailin did it." He sounded like he was being accused and wanted to put the blame on someone else.

"I understand that, but why did she do it?"

He shrugged his large shoulders. "He was arguing with Gabrielle, and… then Kailin attacked. She wouldn't stop, I've never seen anything like that."

Khaldun knew to well what it was. The blood exchange had forced Kailin's aura and soul to compete for control of her body. He wanted to reach across the bed and break the elder's neck for what he had done to her. It was hard enough to get the young vampire to trust them, and now Tzion was playing with forces beyond his control.

"You summoned me?" Akela's rich voice came from the doorway, her eyes fell on Kristian's battered body.

"Seems there was an accident." Tzion stood up, and held out one arm for Akela to come to him. When she was close enough, he wrapped the arm around her shoulders.

Akela looked down at Kristian again, getting a better look of his body. His face was bleeding and bruised. "He's not regenerating." She said, as if Khaldun and Tzion hadn't noticed that already.

"Kailin did it." Khaldun said, when Akela looked up at him with her accusing eyes.

"Only way a fresh wouldn't regenerate would be if an elder attacked them. Kailin is no where near that powerful."

Khaldun crossed his arms and took a deep breath, "Don't you accuse Mathias of this, Akela. I swear you won't get the first word out before I'm tearing away at your flesh."

Akela had her mouth open and then closed it. "Very well, allow me to peer into your mind and see the truth then."

He gave a nod, and stared into Akela's eyes as they fell empty. It only took a split second, and then she returned back to reality. She gave a nod to Tzion, "We will have to complete the cycle quickly."

Tzion nodded, and looked at Khaldun. "Kailin needs your help now, Khaldun."

He snorted, "Don't try to involve me in whatever plot you have. You may have gotten Mathias, but I am well aware of what you are attempting."

"There is no plot, just the future. The Mephis grow stronger with every passing day, and Kailin is left as a weak fresh. Even if she is invincible to them, she won't be able to stop them. With Anthony stronger then her, he'll easily get her to come to their side and fight us."

"I'm not doing it, Tzion." Khaldun tightened his already crossed arms in a display
of disobedience.

"She needs your strength ability. She already has my persuasion and Mathias' rapid healing, but she needs both your strength and Akela's mind abilities. We have to make her stronger."

"Tzion, I never pegged you for a fool. But the more I listen to you, the more I truly understand why Mathias has hated you all these years. Do you have no understanding of aura and soul control?" He waited for Tzion to respond, but he just continued to look at him, waiting for him to explain more. "It's obvious that Kailin's soul and aura are fighting within her, already. If Akela and I were to add to that, then who knows if her aura would ever gain control back. She would be easily persuaded to the Mephis side."

"I fear it is you, Khaldun, that do not understand aura and soul control. It all depends on what abilities are added into the being. Akela's ability will strengthen the aura and yours will strengthen her body while her aura tries to grow stronger over the abilities that Mathias and I gave her." Tzion's eyes wandered down to Kristian.

Khaldun shook his head, "No, I have never heard that. All abilities are controlled by the soul, not that aura or body."

"Do you want to chance this happening to another fresh or a human?" Tzion was speaking of Kristian, his eyes still on him.

"I would rather this happen then Kailin no longer able to save us when the time comes."

Tzion's head shot up, "The time is now!" His voice was full of rage.

Khaldun stepped back, a little shocked at Tzion's sudden outburst. He was no fool, Tzion was a far superior vampire, and he wouldn't be able to win in a battle against him. Mathias was safe from the prophet's rage, because he was part of the prophecies, however Khaldun was not. He could be killed without any harm to the future, and Khaldun knew he had to keep his place below the elder.

"Go with Akela to Kailin's home, and continue the blood exchange by my order!"

"Mathias will never allow it." Khaldun said, his voice cracked.

"Tell him that Akela is there to help strength her aura, and then you must take her into a room just the three of you."

Khaldun swallowed, "I think you are making a terrible mistake, Tzion."

"The only mistake I ever made was creating that friend of yours, he has been nothing but a thorn in my side since his creation."

"Mathias is a great man, and I will not have you insulting him in my presence."

Tzion's lip curled, "Get him out of here, Akela."

The dark haired beauty gave a nod, and walked around to the other side of the bed. She tried to place her hand in the crook of his arm, but he yanked it away. "Don't touch me, witch." He snapped and headed for the door.

Tzion watched him disappear down the hall, "Don't fail me, Akela."

She bowed her head, "When have I ever?"

"I told you to allow Kailin to remember Mathias taking advantage of her. Your personal hatred for Mathias must wait, do not toy with him this time around."

"Forgive me, it will not happen again." She bowed again, and headed out of the room to find Khaldun.

---***---
Running through the halls, Kailin heard the screams of the creature. Every new door lead to another hallway, her dress was ripped and her hair was a mess. She could hear the monster screaming out her name, calling her to him.

"Caitlyn, come to me!" His raspy voice screamed out. "Let me be in control and the pain will stop, forever!"

She continued to run, trying to find a way out of this maze of halls. Opening one door, she found a hall that the monster had already traveled down. Claw marks followed down the walls and doors.

"Caitlyn!"

"Leave me alone!" She screamed, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"You? You are me! I am what you really want to be. Emotionless, empty of memories, vacant to the world!"

"No!" She continued down the hallway, and opened another doorway. When she entered she looked at the words painted in blood, they read, "Marekio."

---***---
Mathias stood at the edge of the couch, while Gabrielle ran a warm moist cloth over her forehead. He hadn't hit her that hard, and didn't understand why she had fell unconscious.

"What is going on?" Gabrielle looked up, her playful eyes had vanished.

He dropped his head, determined not to answer her.

"Who are you? And what is happened to Kailin?" She waited for him to answer, "I know you have the answers, tell me!" Gabrielle stood up, Mathias had almost a foot in height on her, but her anger still caught him off guard.

"Gabrielle, its not information that is available to your kind."

She gave a disgusted glare, "Don't you dare pretend you are better then me, you fucking cross bearer. This is my friend, and I deserve to know, now!" She stomped her foot.

He licked his lips as he thought, "I'm sorry, Gabrielle, but…"

"No, no sorry, no forgiveness, there is something terribly wrong with her. I've never seen her act like that, and she's been strange ever since you came into her life. What is…" A knock from the door echoed throughout the apartment, and both vampires turned their eyes to the door.

Gabrielle walked to the door and opened it, she recognized Khaldun from the street. Stepped aside she let him in.

"What did Tzion say?" Mathias asked.

Khaldun swallowed, "Now, don't get upset, Mathias, but…"

"She's here." He growled.

Khaldun nodded, "He told me to bring her, said that she could help strengthen Kailin's aura."

Akela pushed open the door as Gabrielle went to close it. "Pick her up, Khaldun." She ordered, not even giving the Pyrrhonian a glance.

"Hold on, what are you doing?" Mathias snapped.

"I must be alone with her."

"Alone with her? You must think I am a complete idiot."

"Yes, I do, but that's besides the point." Akela walked over to Kailin's bedroom door, and opened it.

Gabrielle turned her back to the room, as Khaldun walked in with Kailin in his arms. After he stepped in, Akela looked at Mathias with a deep frown.

"Don't make me control you to keep you out, Mathias."

"You can't do this, Akela." He said in a soft voice, "She's too weak, and having enough trouble as it is. For once think for yourself, you have such a powerful mind, don't let Tzion control you further."

"Tzion has no control over me. I've made my choice, and unlike you I have that capability." She snapped, and then shut the door.

Mathias felt pathetic and sat down on the couch with his head in his hands. He knew damn well what was going to happen in there, and there was nothing he could do to stop it. Akela could easily control him, he didn't know what to do.

"What are they doing?" Gabrielle asked.

He looked up at the red head, standing over him. "I'm sorry, Gabrielle. I think this is all my fault."

She didn't understand, but she felt his apologize was heart felt. The sadness in his eyes told her that he was powerless in these moments. Sitting down, she rubbed his back with the palm of her hand. "Its alright. I think I see more now."

It was only fifteen minutes, but seemed to last an eternity as they stared at the bedroom door. When it finally opened, Mathias wasn't sure to be thankful it was over or angry that it had ever occurred.

Akela stepped out first and without a word, left the apartment. Khaldun stepped out and frowned sadly at Mathias and Gabrielle on the couch.

"How could you?" Mathias asked.

"I'm sorry, but I was ordered to." He took a step towards Mathias, and watched him shoot up.

"Is Kailin alright?" Gabrielle asked both men, but neither answered her.

Mathias' frown deepened, "It's my fault, I was a fool enough to think you were loyal to me."

"I don't want to die, not yet, Mathias." He grabbed his arm when he headed towards the bedroom.

"That's interesting, because you are dead to me. Don't ever show your face again." He headed into the bedroom.

"How can you be so angry with me? You were forced into it as well. You are angry with me for doing what…"

"Leave, Khaldun!" Mathias yelled.

The giant looked at Gabrielle, who only stared down at the carpet when their eyes met. "I'm sorry." He said, and then headed towards the door, when he opened it, he looked back at Gabrielle, who had her back to him. "I never meant for this to happen, I've spent my whole life… it was my calling too." He stepped out into the hall, and Gabrielle heard the door shut behind her.