Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 18

Minutes passed like hours as the door shook, the metal frame was bending. It was only a matter of moments before the Mephis were inside. Kailin looked around the room, the strongest needed weapons. Her eyes fell on the show weapons, she ran over to the rack closest to the door. No one had brought their weaponry, and Kailin knew they needed to pass them out. Grabbing the short sword from the rack, she was surprised with it's weight.

"Careful!" Tzion snapped, "Those are very old."

She rolled her eyes when she turned her back to him, she should of known he wouldn't adorn his home with fakes. All other's followed her lead, and pulled weapons from the racks and walls.

"Why would you even keep these in here?" Kailin asked, as she came to stand next to Tzion.

"It cool down here, keeps them in better shape."

She wasn't sure if she accepted that explanation or not, something told her that he knew the Mephis could break in. A small form appeared next to her, long black hair in a braid, black pearls for necklace, earrings, and rings. Her pale and inhuman skin shined through the black lace of her long black dress. Akela folded her arms, as she looked up at Kailin.

"Aren't you going to grab a weapon?" Kailin asked.

Akela shook her head gently, "I need nothing that I wasn't born with."

Tzion turned around and grabbed a small dagger from the hands of another elder, "Take this, Akela." He offered it to her.

"I said…"

"And I said, take it!"

Akela's long fingers seemed to unfold in front of Kailin's body, as Tzion placed the dagger into her slim grip.

Stepping forward, Kailin stood in front of the large crowd. Ready to battle anything that came through the door. Mathias soon joined her, carrying a large sword. Khaldun was next to step in front of the group, and was soon followed by Lycorisa and Jareth.

"Sups will need to be taken down first." Kailin mumbled to them, as Akela's pride forced her upfront. "I do not have my guns, so it won't be as easy."

"Allow me to worry about the sups." Akela said, "I will turn their minds into nothing more then a broth."

Kailin gave a quick nod, then her attention was immediately sent to the door. The loud, harsh sound of the metal breaking told her that it wouldn't be long.

"What do you suppose they want?" Lycorisa asked, as another loud cracking noise echoed through the dance hall.

"For us to die." Kailin told her, before Akela or Mathias could give an elongated version. It was true enough, the exact reason wasn't important, and it would all be left to speculation anyway.

The hard wind blew against them as the door fell to the ground. At the front of the door was a Mephis, larger then both Mathias and Khaldun. He had long ago stopped being human, and had become a monster. Behind him was a mass of hissing minions, they filled the hall and continued up the stairs.

The giant Mephis laughed in a deep, throaty voice. His dark green skin looked like shiny plastic, and his eyes an intense yellow. His arms were long with sharp black nails at the ends.

"Mother, Master wishes for your presence." He said in the Mephis language. No one but Kailin could understand the combination of hisses, growls, and mucus filled moans.

"I'm busy at the moment." Kailin told him, her weapon drawn.

"Destroy all, but leave Mother to me!" The large Mephis hissed.

Suddenly a flock of Mephis flew into the high ceiling of the dance hall. Everyone looked up at the white ceiling, with fear in their eyes.

"That's new." Kailin said referring to the Mephis flying. She gave their bat like wings a quick glance, there was no doubt that these were sups.

Akela's eyes went up to the ceiling, she grabbed the minds of several of the sups. After she had them within her mind, she disappeared into the crowd.

The sups went right for the Pyrrhonians and the Bowery hiding in the back.

"Go help them!" Mathias ordered Lycorisa and Jareth.

Kailin checked the room for Gabrielle, and before her eyes could see through the large crowd, she felt a hard fist slam into her chest. Her feet lifted off the ground, the wall near the stage caught her.

"Kailin!" Mathias called out, as the large Mephis walked towards her.

"Find Gabrielle!" Kailin yelled as she gasped in pain. She stood up holding her side with her sword still in hand.

The Mephis could harm her all they wanted, as long as their intent was not to kill her. The monstrous Mephis wanted to damage her just enough that she wouldn't put up a fight on the way to his master. Kailin looked to where Mathias had been standing, he had disappeared into the crowd of fighting and cowering vampires. She hoped it was to do as she asked.

Before the large Mephis could strike again, Kailin decided to attack first. Running up, she slashed at the creature's chest, but was only brushed away by his hand. Her back slammed against the corner of the stage. Her lips let out a breath of pain. Looking up, the Mephis came towards her. The surrounding fights filled her ears.

Looking up, she could see several of the sups had turned on their own kind. She knew this was Akela's doing. The large Mephis looked up to see his troops fighting each other, and his eyes frantically searched the room. Kailin clenched her sword in her hands, and began the charge while he wasn't paying attention to her.

The Mephis' eyes fell on her before she reached him, and again she was airborne. She found herself among Tzion's paintings, several littered the stage now. Sitting up, she looked at a painting half covered by the white linen. The part she could see was of herself sitting on the floor, her hands behind her and her legs stretched out. It took only a moment for Kailin to realize not only was she sitting in that position, but her painted self was in the same clothing. Reaching her hand out, she grabbed the edge of the linen cloth and pulled it to her.

Her eyes widened when she looked upon the full view of the painting. It showed her looking at a dark painting, and behind her was the giant Mephis about to deliver a defeating blow. Slowly she turned her head to look behind her. The Mephis stood with both hands in the air, folded into each other. Kailin hustled to stand up, but couldn't find her footing on the polished stage floor.

She moved just in time for his strike to miss her head, but instead crush her ankle. The bones in her left foot broke with several loud snaps, and she let out a violent scream of pain.

The Mephis laughed, and continued to laugh for some time, even when he kicked her sword off the stage. Her face laid on the floor, once the screams had stopped. She watched as Kornelia, Lord Vardon's wife, was chased down by three minions. The mortal stood no chance as they pounced onto her back and shoved her to the ground. The razor sharp teeth tore into her flesh, taking large chunks from any part of her body they could get their mouths on. Her life vanished within seconds, and then she was nothing more then muscle and skin hanging from the lips of the creatures.

A large hand wrapped itself around the back of Kailin's neck, and she felt herself being lifted up. She hadn't even noticed that her ankle had completely healed, much quicker then it normally would have. Half way up the length of his body, she was dropped back down. Landing on her feet, she felt no pain. Her eyes wandered up to the Mephis, and then to the large axe wedged in his shoulder.

Khaldun stood behind him, trying desperately to pull the axe from the Mephis. It was in deep, but didn't seem to bother the monster in the least. The Mephis flung around and with one strong swipe of his hand, sent Khaldun over the crowd and into the wall. He fell to the ground, and stopped moving. Kailin turned her eyes back to the Mephis, who pulled the axe from his shoulder and dropped it to the ground with a loud clank.

"You come to master now, and we all leave." He said.

Kailin spit blood that had been accumulating in her mouth. To her surprise all the pain from fighting the behemoth was gone. She stood up, "It's not in your nature to leave anyone alive."

The Mephis grinned, his hand reached out for Kailin and was burnt. Looking up, one of the sups flew by. He growled at it, and looked over the room trying to find what was causing them to betray.

"Run, Kailin!" Akela yelled from the other end of the stage, and tossed her dagger to her.

Kailin caught it and ran off the stage, while the Mephis turned his attention to Akela. He had been warned about this particular vampire, but he had also been made to complex for her to control. The minds of the more powerful Mephis were a puzzle to Akela, as she hadn't had the opportunity to sit down and journey around their minds.

Akela jumped back, barely evading his first swing. The second she was not able to escape, he caught her head in his hand. She wanted to scream as he squeezed his hand closed, trying to crush her skull. Before the bones could give in under the force, the Mephis dropped her. He turned around to Kailin, and looked down at the sword that had been plunged through his center.

"Kailin!" Gabrielle's familiar voice cried out.

She turned her head, to see her friend being pulled out from under a table by a sup. Gabrielle kicked it several times, and it bit into her leg. She let out a scream. Mathias chopped the head off of the creature, but was over whelmed by several more. Another reached out for Gabrielle throwing the table into the crowd.

Kailin grabbed the dagger from her side, and heaved it towards the sup. It caught it in the neck, and pierced it to the wall behind it. Gabrielle stood up, and gave a thankful nod before disappearing back into the crowd. The large Mephis in front of Kailin, and gotten the sword out from his gut and had thrown it to the ground. He howled, then jumped down from the stage and ran out the door. She was about to chase after him, when the sups began to spit fire down at the crowd.

She searched the room, and found a large rectangular shield, and tossed it into the corner behind the stage. Searching for more objects, she began to throw them at the sups. She needed only get the attention of several on her, and the others would follow. When they did, she ran to her shield. Hiding herself behind it, she waited for them to spit fire at her. Taking a deep breath, she stuck her hand out as they made another pass. Each time one singed her hand, they began to implode. Seeing their allies dying only infuriated the other sups, and they continued their attack on the shield.

Slowly, the attacks stopped, and Kailin watched the last sups fly out of the room. They were soon followed with what was left of the minion Mephis. Gabrielle came to stand behind her, she touched her Hallowed friend's shoulder.

"I'm going after them." Kailin told her, then ran from the room.

"Where the hell is she going?" Mathias snapped at Gabrielle, when he ran up beside her.

"After them." Gabrielle said, and then looked at the once elegant ballroom.

Bodies of all types of vampires coated the ground. The dance floor was wet with blood, and several ashes of fallen Hallowed mixed in with the blood of others.

"Are you alright?" Kristian ran up, reaching his arms out to her.

She pushed him away with one hand, "I'm fine, but…" Her eyes wandered over the bodies again.

Kristian turned to look at them as well. Mathias had crossed the room to help Lycorisa who had been injured in the battle.

"Isn't he going to go after Kailin?" Kristian asked, and when he turned to look at Gabrielle, she was gone.

---***---
Kailin's eyes adjusted rapidly to the darkness, she watched as several minions disappeared over the fence. There was only one Mephis that she cared about, and that was the large one that had attacked her. She was almost certain he would lead her to where ever Anthony was. Yet, there was no sign of the large Mephis. She took in several deep breaths, ignoring the chilled wind the blew across her face. The scent of blood grew stronger as she got closer to the gate.

The minions that past her, didn't even seem bothered by her presence. Without a leader they were mindless cowards. She stopped in front of the large iron gates, and looked down at the driveway. Kneeling down, she gently ran her index finger through the liquid on the ground.

"Blood." She mumbled, it was the only thing she had to go on.

After damaging the Mephis, he was bleeding quite profusely. He would hopefully leave her a blood trail, that she could follow. Leaping over the fence, she found another blood puddle on the other side. This one was splattered, she assumed that in his weakened state he had fallen over the gate and landed on the ground.

She followed the scent of blood and headed towards the city lights. Kailin knew that she only had a couple hours before the blood vanished all together. Besides their dead, a vampire left very little proof of their existence. Reaching the beginning of the high buildings, she stopped and jumped into the alley way. The large Mephis was hunched over across the street, in his own safe haven of darkness. His back against the wall, he looked down at his hand that covered the wound in his stomach.

He wasn't dying, but he wasn't feeling very good either. Being dead didn't stop the mind from understanding pain, despite it's ability to increase the tolerance of it. Weakly he placed his hands on the wall and crawled up to the top of the roof. Kailin gave him a moment, before she ran across the street and leapt onto the building. She wasn't in pain or fatigued in the slightest, which was the way she would normally feel after fighting such an adversary.

The shadowy form began it's journey down the buildings with Kailin keeping a safe distance behind him. They ended up in the warehouse district after some time. The large Mephis jumped down from the building, and headed toward the warehouse across from it.

Kailin kneeled down and crawled over to the side of the building. Looking over, she watched him enter after speaking with a Mephis guard. Putting her hand on the edge of the building, she tried to pull herself over some to see more. Her hand instantly became moist, and she pulled it away to look upon her bloodied hand. He would need to eat soon, or else became very feeble.

"Hey." She heard a whisper from behind her. Kailin twisted around quickly, ready to defend herself, but it was only Gabrielle.

"What are you doing here?" Kailin questioned, and then turned her eyes back to the warehouse.

"I…"

"Kneel down." She ordered, and Gabrielle did as she was told.

Gabrielle crawled over to the edge and looked over, before she finished answering Kailin's question, "I saw you leave and thought you were heading home, but I noticed your aura was heading in the wrong direction…"

"So, you followed me, is that what you are saying?"

Gabrielle nodded, "What are you doing out here?"

"I, too, was following someone. That big Mephis. He went inside that warehouse, can you feel that?"

She took a moment and then nodded at Kailin, "There are a lot of Mephis in there."

"Yes, it's probably another feeding party." Kailin said as two more humans were allowed in.

"You aren't going to go in there, are you?" Gabrielle squeaked.

Kailin's eyes returned to her friend, "They can't hurt me, Gabby. Besides, he might be in there."

"Who?"

"Anthony."

Gabrielle swallowed, "So, it is him."

Kailin stared blankly, "What do you mean?"

"Several days ago, I felt like I was being followed. When I found myself alone, he spoke to me."

"Spoke to you?"

Gabrielle took the pins out of her hair, "He said that there was much that I didn't understand, and if I knew what was best for myself that I would help him."

"Help him do what?"

She took a deep breath, "He asked me to bring you to him, by feeding you this poison. I told him that there was no way I would ever betray you, and I didn't believe he was actually Anthony. I thought he had died."

Kailin rubbed her temples with her index finger, "How did you escape? I know he wouldn't just like you deny him and then leave."

"He offered me time to change my mind, or else be the sacrifice."

"The sacrifice?"

Gabrielle sniffled, "I don't know what he meant by that, but…"

"Why didn't you tell me this sooner, Gabby?"

"I don't know, with all that has been happening lately. I didn't want you to worry about what some random
Mephis said to me. But now I know he is alive, and that his threat is to be taken seriously." There was a silence between them for a moment, only the sound of the wind broke through. "What does he want?"

"I am not sure what he wants with me, but whatever it is… I am sure it's to make Mephis the only vampires."

"You can't go in there." Gabrielle begged more then ordered.

"Go back to Tzion's, tell them where I am and I will wait here." She saw Gabrielle's disbelief. "In case, they leave."

Gabrielle shot up and headed towards the mansion, before she jumped down she looked back at Kailin, "Please don't go down there. Wait for the Elders to come, ok?"

"If you don't go now, they are going to leave and we will lose this opportunity forever!"

"Alright, don't be pushy." She gave a nervous look then jumped off the side of the building.

Kailin gave a few moments to make sure Gabrielle had left. She leapt over the side and was spotted right away by the guard. He ran at her, when he approached Kailin stepped aside and grabbed the back of his neck. Slamming him against the wall until she heard the sound of bone cracking. When that was done, she began to twist the Mephis' head until the skin and bone gave way. His neck let go of his body, and his lifeless form fell to the ground.

She placed the head between her hand and hip. The blood poured onto her dress, but Kailin paid it no attention as she walked to the warehouse doors. With one hard kick the doors fell to the ground and Kailin stood in the door way. All eyes fell on her when the sound of the crash brought their attention to her.

The Sups could turn themselves in their human form, and control themselves to an extent. However, their teeth showed, but Anthony was smart enough to understand the lure of such things. He seemed to make vampires a theme, and the warehouse was purposely displayed as a vampire lair. Red curtains, drinks, and even touches of blood.

Kailin looked over the crowded room, the music was shut off. They danced only to pull more humans into their death trap, understanding word of mouth. In the center of the room, on an elevated floor sat Anthony in a chair that looked more like a throne. She wanted to laugh when she noticed he was wearing the Count Dracula outfit. However, she kept her face calm.

The humans in the room, weren't sure if Kailin was part of the event. She threw the head of the dead Mephis towards Anthony and it landed at his feet. He only grinned, and placed his foot upon it.

"Kailin, how unexpected." He chuckled, and then pushed the head off the elevated floor.

"I don't think you want to have this conversation in front of your guests." She snapped.

Anthony smiled, "No, I suppose not, but what other options are there? I can't very well let them leave."

Kailin's lip curled up in disgust, "You can, and you will."

He laughed again, as he stood up. "Party is over, everyone leave."

The humans let out a large disappointed awe, and they were all heading out the door without too much fuss. Kailin looked at them as they passed her.

"We will have to do this another day." Anthony yelled out, "I shall inform those that I know of the date."

It took a few moments, and Kailin was surprised with how easily they all went. She had expected them to put up more of a fight to get them to leave, but they followed Anthony's orders without question.

She watched the last one leave into the distance, and turned her head to Anthony as he spoke.

"What a pleasant surprise. The party was getting quite dull, I am so glad you came and mixed things up a bit for me." Anthony untied his cloak and let it fall to the ground. He wore a white long sleeve button up shirt, and black pants and boots. Walking down the two steps, he stood across from her. "But, I suppose you aren't here to chat."

Kailin grinded her teeth.

"A higher purpose perhaps?" He grinned, "Show yourself Samuel."

Samuel stepped out from behind one of the large wooden boxes that the warehouse was storing. He gave a shy grin, his straight blonde hair falling into his eyes.

Her heart jumped, and she fought back the urge to acknowledge his presence. He was Mephis now, and that made him an enemy. It was a lesson she had learned long ago from her own sister.

The room was still filled with Mephis, and Kailin knew there was more then she could see. The minions were hiding in the darkness, waiting for their master to give them the word.

"You look so much like her." Anthony took another step forward, and Kailin prepared herself for battle.

"Who?"

"Leila. I must admit that at first I didn't see it, but she's there. Right in your eyes, your hair, your stature. I noticed it when we were reunited. I looked into your eyes, and there she was. You took her from me."

Kailin shook her head, "You never knew Leila, only the monster that I had made her. I took Leila long before you."

"Perhaps, and perhaps not. Are you not one in the same of the human you once were?"

"Caitlyn Bramwell is dead. She died not long after her twenty third birthday, and only I was left in her wake."

Anthony took another step forward, the Mephis had made a pathway from him to Kailin.

"Where is the large Mephis?"

"The one I sent to fetch you?" He waited for her to nod. "Dead. His punishment for failing me, so you needn't worry about him. I do not like intelligent ones beside myself and Samuel. I created him merely to defeat you, and he proved he was a failure to his cause." Again, he took another step.

Kailin tensed up, ready for his attack.

"Do you think I would hurt you, Kailin?"

"I wouldn't put it past you."

He grinned, "There are many in this world, I could devour and consume, but not you. Only in your eyes does she live on." Another step was taken, "Besides, I doubt Samuel would allow me to hurt the very woman that he loves."

Kailin's eyes went around the room, all Mephis were male. She didn't understand why, but she had never met a female Mephis, besides her sister. Kailin stood alone in the room, the only woman and the only Hallowed. Turning her eyes in front of her, he was standing there. Close enough to touch, Kailin tried to jump back but he caught her hair in his hands. Yanking her head up, he looked into her eyes. Their faces inches apart.

Kailin looked into his dark, empty eyes.

"Why is there so much hate, when you look at me?" Anthony asked. "Leila's eyes never held such feelings."

"I'm not Leila. I hated you from the beginning, before you were this monster."

He chuckled, placing his other hand on her face. Brushing lightly against her skin. "I said I would never hurt you, and you can hold me to that word."

He shoved her away from him. Kailin was both angry and embarrassed that she hadn't fought him, but the Mephis surrounding her told her that only pain would be ahead.

"I think it's time you and I ended all this, right here and right now." She clenched her fist as she stood up, "Just you and me."

Anthony was walking away from her and laughed loudly, "I promised I would never hurt you, but not that they wouldn't." He flipped around.

Kailin looked at the Mephis around her, they enclosed her. "Anthony, you coward!" She screamed before the first one attacked.

They bit into her legs, arms, and stomach. Feeding on her flesh and blood, Kailin cried out in pain. She clawed at them, grabbing chunks of their slimy skin. Without being able to make out single forms, she couldn't find the heads. The mob had just become a giant flesh eating creature with no way to stop it's attack. She fought them as best as she could, ripping at whatever flesh her fingers and mouth came into contact with. Blood gushed from both sides, and Kailin soon ended her assault. Too much blood was missing and she could no longer lift her hand up to protect herself.

None were exploding, they had no intent on killing her. But that brought her no comfort as their teeth slice through her skin. One held up her intestine, and another bit off her left hand.

"Enough!" Samuel's voice yelled out.

The Mephis disbursed from around her, and Samuel stood over her body. He looked down at her. Her entire stomach had been eaten out, her left hand, and several portions had been bit out of her back, legs, and arms. Her neck and face were completely unharmed, as Anthony had promised. She was a bloodied mess, most of her flesh went uneaten and just tossed to the ground. Samuel kneeled to her side, and gently rubbed her cheek with his hand. Then reaching under her shoulders and neck, he began to pull her up.

Kailin looked around the room, as Samuel sat her up. "I'm sorry, Kailin." He mumbled.

Anthony was gone. She looked over at Samuel, "Why? You knew what the Mephis were. You told me to kill my sister."

He looked down ashamed, "I'm afraid to die, Kailin. Join us."

"Never."

"Be with me."

She spit blood at him, "Never!"

"Then I am sorry." He leaned forward and kissed her lips. The pain came as he bit into her lip and tore her bottom lip off. She was dropped to the ground, her head turned to the side as the chunk of her lip landed near her face. Her eyes ventured over to the shadow above her head, Samuel's foot came towards her head. Seven smashes and Kailin was without consciousness.

Samuel look towards several sups, "Bring in the offering."

A young woman with black hair was pulled into the building, she cried out afraid of Kailin's body. Samuel grabbed the front of Kailin's shirt, and pulled it over to the wall. The sups placed the young woman over Kailin, her hands against the wall. Another Mephis pulled long spikes and a mallet out, and pierced the woman in both wrists and on her feet. The girl screamed in pain, and then all together stopped.

"Tonight we pray to Leila, and ask her to prolong Kailin's suffering. Though she does not die today, we pray that she stays weakened until the rebirth." Samuel said.

Another pike was placed into the center of the woman's chest.

"Empty your stomachs." He ordered before leaving the warehouse.

Any Mephis who had eaten began to vomit up parts of Kailin's flesh. When they were finished, they followed in Samuel's footsteps.

They were gone, and Kailin laid bleeding, head shattered, and parts of her body missing. Gabrielle jumped down from the catwalk, having witnessed everything that had just occurred. She walked over to Kailin's body, and stared down at her.

"Kailin?" She asked, tears in her voice. "Kailin, move, do something." She kneeled down. "You aren't burned, you can't be dead." Gabrielle began to cry, and slammed her fist into the blood on the ground, "Why are you so stupid!"

A slight moan came from above her, and Gabrielle remembered the sacrificed women. Looking up at her, she watched the blood drip from her arms and feet to the ground. She wasn't sure why they had done it to her, but Gabrielle touched her foot, and listened to her heart beat.

"Hey, you alive?" She asked even though she knew the answer.

Standing up, she pulled the spikes out of her feet. Holding her up, she pulled them out of her wrists, then finally her chest.

"It'll be alright, I'll help you." She said picking her up in her arms, she looked down at Kailin. "I will be back, Kailin. I'll go get the elders." She sniffled, "I'm sorry, I should of done it when you asked me too."