Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 14: Doppelganger

The morning of the tournaments arrived with speed, and all the students found themselves hurrying to make last minute adjustments of their respective courts. Everyone was meant to decorate their courts as parents of the tournament participants would be arriving to eat breakfast with them. Guards were posted around the court in anticipation for the arrival of the king, though he was not expected until later as he would first visit the Royal Dorms.

The borrowed table was set and there were several chairs lined up near the dorm platform, but this would mostly be a standing affair. They had decorated with some ribbons that Ophelia had her mother send along, but this place was certainly not meant to impress or entertain.

Ophelia's mother was the first one to arrive. The woman made Ophelia look like her doppelganger. Dark brown, curled hair that fell to her mid back and big brown eyes all framed with a face that made her look younger than her true age.

Ophelia hurried to her mother and nearly jumped into her arms. They both bounced around for a few moments as they spoke far too quickly for anyone else to understand what they were saying to one another. Though the tears and the hugs were obviously that of two people that missed each other.

"You must be Remus." Odelia hurried over to the thin man to stand in front of him. "Oh, Oppy, he is just as adorable as you said." She grabbed his face and kissed both of his cheeks. "Thank you for taking my baby to this ball. Don't leave her behind like the others have done, understood?"

"You needn't worry."

Odelia turned to the two commoners, and kissed them both as she wrapped one arm around each of their necks and brought them in for a hug. "Oh, Anton and Jolon. Oppy tells me that you are the reason she made all these friends this year. I love you both."

Routine realized he was next in the line and quickly moved while the woman was distracted to stand on the platform far away from her.

"This large fellow must be Santh." Odelia squeezed his upper arm, "My, my, where do you find time to keep such muscles while studying so hard?" She reached up her hand and pulled him down for a hug.

Santh didn't reciprocate, but he didn't fight the molesting mother either. When she pulled away, she turned to Lenore.

"Oh my, I should have addressed our Princess first. Please, forgive me." She grabbed Lenore's hands and placed her forehead to the back of them. "Milady, it is a true honor."

"Mother..." Ophelia gave her friend a look of apology.

When she stood up straight, Lenore stepped forward and hugged the woman. "Would you leave me out of those wonderful hugs?"

Odelia laughed and hugged the girl with as much strength as she could muster. Her daughter mouthed a thank you to her friend. When they pulled apart, she began to look around the area. "There is one more, isn't there?"

"Byron, but he dislikes being touched." Lenore informed her and pointed to the man standing on the platform near the guards.

Odelia rushed over to him. "I hear you do not like being touched." She didn't wait for him to respond as she walked up the stairs, "Break your rule just once for me." She grabbed him and pulled him into a tight hug.

Routine's eyes widened as the rest of the group looked on. Ophelia looked mortified and hurried up the stairs, "Mother!" She could hear the rest of the group laughing behind her.

The older woman let the boy go and kissed his cheek. "Oppy is doing much better in her classes thanks to your tutelage." She pinched his cheek and Ophelia held her mother's arm and tried to lead her away.

She gave her dorm mate a look of apology as the two women walked down the steps. "He really hates that, mother." She whispered.

"Oh, pish posh."

She sighed audibly, "Are you famished after the journey? We have treats... that you made."

---***---

Routine's parents were the second to arrive, Lord Vidal and Lady Renata Nicoletti. As the two well dressed nobles approached the dorm, they both seemed underwhelmed by where their son was spending his nights.

Renata wore a blue dress that was hemmed with white lace. Her raven black hair looked smooth and silky though it was pulled up into a bun on top of her head. Small white bird decorations were weaved throughout her hair, and her lips were a dark blood red.

Her husband, Vidal, had the same curly brown hair as Piera did. His black vest and pants were lined with a gold trim and he carried a walking stick that had a large clear gem attached at the top. They both looked to be something straight from a story book, and though Routine shared his mother's hair color, he couldn't have looked more different from them.

"Mother, father." Routine bowed after speaking each of their titles. "These are my dorm mates." He began to go down the line introducing each one with first name and last name along with their guild affiliation.

Renata moved to stand before the Princess and her husband followed. They both took her hands as Odelia did before and placed their foreheads to her. "It is the highest honor to meet you, Princess Lenore. Though we have visited the capital and your father in the past, we only got brief glimpses of you during parties and have never been properly introduced." Renata explained.

"It is an honor to meet you as well. Byron speaks highly of you both." Lenore was standing next to Ophelia and Odelia, and felt slightly odd with the introduction.

Renata looked over the dorm once more, "Excuse me, milady."

The honorifics toward Lenore made Santh roll his eyes, while Anton and Jolon who were sitting on the platformed seemed enthralled by the on goings.

Routine's mother came to stand in front of the dorm, and her husband followed behind her. It was as if he was a puppy following his owner around. "Byron, love, why would you choose to stay here? The Souchan dorms are well maintained, wouldn't you feel more comfortable there?"

He came to stand next to his mother, "I prefer the quiescent environment."

She seemed to listen for a few moments to the area surrounding her, "Oh, yes, of course. I can see that now." Once more she looked it over. Santh was sitting on the steps in front of her and couldn't decide if he should move or not. "Perhaps, we could arrange for some repairs or..."

"University rules do not permit parents to make changes to the structure of a building. Only students can petition the student council to make repairs."

Renata threw up her hands briefly, "Very well, you know best."

"May we see your room, son?" Vidal asked when a silence fell between his wife and child.

He slowly shook his head, "As you well know, I do not appreciate unauthorized..."

Vidal threw up his hand and stopped his son from speaking further. "You informed us that you will be participating in the jousting. We look forward to seeing what you are capable of, son."

Renata smiled. "Oh, yes. I will not miss a single battle..." She turned to her husband, "They are called battles, aren't they?"

"I believe they are called jousts." He looked to his son. "No matter, we will be in the stadium cheering for you."

Routine bowed his head briefly. "As always, you are a cornerstone in my victories."

Odelia leaned over to her daughter from across the court. "I am not certain if this is a loving relationship or if they dislike each other immensely."

Ophelia giggled, and Lenore leaned in. "I think they are loving him in the best way they know how. He is... difficult."

"Well, we should take our leave. Your sister awaits us." Renata informed him.

"Her dorm will be far more agreeable." Routine walked them toward the path. "Please, enjoy your stay."

---***---

Felton and Edith Marsh were the next set of parents to arrive, but following closely behind them were Nolan and Lena Pugh. Both of the Marshs had sandy blonde hair like their son, and were rather short in stature, while Anton's father, Nolan, was tall with black hair like his son but his mother was a tiny wisp of a woman with blonde hair so light it nearly looked white. They were all dressed in what would pass for normal clothing for people of their station. The women in long dresses and the men in vest and pants as would be the style of their day.

Lena immediately saw her son and ran over to him wrapping her arms around his shoulders. "Oh, Anton, I worried for you so." She began to fumble around in the cloth belt that wrapped around her waist the moment she finished hugging him and pulled out several envelopes. "Your sisters sent this for you."

"Enough, Lena. He's a grown man." Nolan came to stand next to his wife, "I have received your points, I am not pleased with your class work. You must do better in the future." He looked around the dorm briefly. "I find it hard to believe you have time to waste during tournaments when you could be studying."

"Yes, father. I had..." Anton was cut off when the Princess appeared beside him.

"Unfortunately, we were one short, but your son has done well in archery, sir." Lenore informed the unwavering man.

Nolan snorted, "Archery has no place in his future."

"I seriously doubt it could hurt to learn how to protect yourself or loved ones, don't you agree?" She retorted and placed her hand on Anton's shoulder.

Anton knew his father had no idea who he was speaking to, and before she challenged him any further he decided to tell him. "Mother, father, this is my dorm mate, the Princess Lenore Cromwell."

Nolan's eyes quickly lost all anger. "Milady." Both his mother and father were quick to grab her hands and place their foreheads to them.

Lenore didn't appreciate being introduced in such a way, but she allowed it to go. As soon as she was announced, Jolon's parents came over to greet her as well. Santh and the others seemed to take a step back each for their own reasons. Some were frightened by Anton's father who had an imposing presence, while others felt uncomfortable talking to these commoners even though they spoke to Anton and Jolon daily.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, milady." Edith, Jolon's mother, did seem rather excited to meet her while the others looked nervous. "I hear my son is learning hammer throwing, you wouldn't be teaching him, would you?"

"No, that would be Santh." Lenore explained and motioned toward the man sitting on the steps.

Edith waved at him in thanks, but was far too enthralled by the Princess to leave her side. She put one hand over her son's shoulder and squeezed him tightly. "We are appreciative of how you help our son along in this place." A strange look came over her face and she turned to Jolon, "Dear, you smell strange."

"That's soap, dear. I realize you don't smell it often enough." Felton finally spoke to her then turned to the other man. "Nolan, I haven't heard from you in some time. Still thatching away, I take it?"

"Your parents know each other?" Lenore asked the two boys standing next to her.

"Of course, the Thatcher's Guild answers to the Carpenter's Guild." Jolon informed her, "Though Anton and I never met until we both arrived here. I knew he would be here however."

Anton looked surprised by that, "I had no idea another commoner would be here as well when I arrived." He looked to his father.

"It was best for you to find friends on your own. Not look for someone simply because of the guild they are in." Nolan explained to his son.

Lenore cleared her throat, "How long have you been married?" She decided to change the subject.

"Oh, Edith and I were happy for eighteen years, then we met." Felton teased.

Edith smack his shoulder, "Felton." She looked to Lenore, "He always says that."

"Do I?" He shrugged his shoulder, "I always forget my mistakes. There is no reason for two people to remember, seems redundant."

"You tell that one a lot too."

He pointed at his wife. "See?"

Lenore chuckled at the two of them, but Jolon looked like he was in pain. Anton laughed as well, but it was less at the jokes and more at Jolon's uncomfortableness. Nolan, who has been dealing with this man for years, found nothing funny in the horrible jokes he told and his face did not crack once.

---***---

"Ah, there you are, boy!" A well dressed older gentleman entered into their little dirt court. He wasn't dressed nearly as fanciful as Routine's father had been, but the dark blue pant and vest outfit certainly made him look as if he was in the Royal Party and not the Commoner's. He looked to be in his early fifties and his face held the gentle features that Remus' did.

Following behind him was a man who most certainly looked like Remus' brother, but where Remus was thin, frail, and at times feminine, his brother was well built and most definitely male.

"My word, who is that?" Ophelia whispered to her female dorm mate and Odelia leaned in as well to hear the answer.

"That is who I used to call Sir Scrumptious. He is Remus' older brother, and eight time champion of the tournament melee." Lenore explained. "He was here during my freshman year, before Remus moved into the dorms. I used to blow him kisses and other nasty gestures whenever I saw him. It's a lot of fun."

"You are invited to live in whatever dorm you choose, and this is your decision?" Pymus asked his son but didn't give him any time to answer. "Well done. A fine choice indeed." He grabbed his youngest son's shoulder and squeezed tightly.

Crolus looked at the area, when his eyes landed on the three women standing in the corner gawking at him, he gave a shy smile as the three of them waved their fingers at him. Odelia upped the ante by blowing a kiss at him, and Lenore and Ophelia began to tease the large man with kisses, lip licking, and other somewhat vulgar movements. Crolus was turning red but seemed to silently be enjoying the attention. As this was on going, Pymus was introduced to the commoners.

"You, of course, already know Santh." Remus motioned toward his friend still sitting on the steps though he was intently watching the back and forth between the girls and Remus' brother.

"Know him? I practically thought I had a third son for several years." He smacked Santh's shoulder as he walked by. "I see our Princess has not given up on her teasing of my eldest." Pymus spoke out loud.

Remus shook his head as they walked toward the corner of the platform where the three women were seated. "It appears she has recruited more to her sordid cause as well."

Nolan and Lena did not look amused by their antics, but Felton and his wife giggled. "Ah, to be young."

Lenore could hear what Pymus and Remus were saying, and the two men came to stop in front of her.

"Milady." Pymus greeted her in the same manner the other parents had. "If that is even an appropriate title for you in this moment."

"Who argues that I can not be a lady and a bit of a whore?" Lenore asked him.

Pymus laughed, "Not I, milady, not I." He turned to Ophelia, "You must be the lovely lady who accepted my boy's offer to the ball." He leaned in close to her and whispered, "Thank you. No one ever goes with him. He is a male version of a harlot, is he not?"

"Thank you, father. Ophelia surely is thrilled to attend at my side after that charming description of my person." Remus shook his head behind his father's head so that she would know he was kidding, though it was somewhat of the truth. "This is my unfortunate ball partner's mother. Odelia Romanus."

"You can tell how truly beautiful a woman will be by how her mother ages. It seems that dear Ophelia will never age a day after this one." Pymus kissed Odelia's hand. "If you attend the ball, do search me out. I would enjoy a dance or two with your lovely person."

She chuckled as if she was still a school girl.

"That will be enough, father." Remus pulled his father away from the woman and walked him over to his brother. "Crolus, you haven't spoken much since your arrival. I hear you are being honored this year as a judge for the melee."

He cleared his throat, "Oh, yes. I hear Lenore will be participating as well."

"Yes, well, don't allow her to buy her points from you through some blown kisses..." He leaned in closer, "Have her blow something else first."

"What? I'd never!" He began to turn red once more.

Pymus grabbed his youngest son's shoulder and squeezed as he laughed.

---***---

The guards stationed around the area began to move about to rearrange themselves. When one whispered in Lenore's ear, she quickly brushed down her school garment and ran to the center of the court. Her back immediately straightened and she looked very different than the woman they were used to.

More guards poured into the tight space, and a man with a well trimmed beard and gray and brown hair appeared. He wore a purple cloak lined with white fur. His tunic matched the cloak along with his pants, and a crown of jewels adorned his head.

Beside him was his wife she wore a beautiful purple gown, where the entire front was a brocade fabric and the back and sides were purple. A bodice covered her chest with a white chemise with long butterfly sleeves. Her blonde locks were up in a loose bun with her own crown a top of her head.

No one dared approach them and all stood in wait for them to speak as they came to stand in front of Lenore. Odelia was so nervous that she held her daughter's hand tight enough to turn it red, while Santh stood from his steps and looked on. Curious as to what exactly was about to transpire.

Lenore curtsied to them both and then her father hugged her tightly, before stepping back to take a look at the dorm.

"Oh my." Queen Aletta touched her chest as she looked around. "This seems so..."

"Underwhelming." The King finished the sentence. "Do you enjoy living in such squalor, Lenore?"

She swallowed, slightly ashamed because she knew her dorm mates were hearing this, except Routine who had gone to hide in his room after his parents left. "It isn't ideal, but..."

"Then you should consider what you plan to do about it, shouldn't you?" He cleared his throat and looked over at Pymus who was standing next to his two sons. "Ah, old friend." He walked over to the man leaving Lenore alone with her step-mother.

Aletta touched her loose red hair, "My goodness, Lenore, look at how thin you have become. Lack of nutrition will cause hair loss and thinned hair, are you aware?" She watched Lenore nod. "Then you simply don't mind your hair being thin? I shall send you some shampoos."

"Thank you, milady."

"Also, I have some wonderful skin lotion, it assists greatly with dry skin such as yours." She pinched her chin lightly.

"I already have lotion, milady. Tana sends me..."

"Yes, the butter cream. Dear, that is all she can afford on her small budget. Certainly, you would enjoy something that fixes and not just conceals." Aletta looked over at her husband who was still talking with Pymus, and then back to Lenore. "After this, come to the Royal Dorms, immediately. You must be dressed appropriately."

"I..."

Aletta waved her hand, "Dear Pymus, I hear both of your sons are unwed." She walked over to them.

"Aletta." The King spoke under his breath as a warning to her, but she didn't heed it.

"They are fine looking gentlemen. Surely, one of them would take my daughter's hand, she seems to be without a suitor at this age." She seemed like she was half jesting and half seriously speaking.

Lenore remained in the center of the court. Ophelia could tell that she was uncomfortable, but didn't know whether she could stand near her or not.

Pymus laughed even though he saw the annoyance on the King's face. "I am certain both my sons would, however we would never take the Princess when we couldn't support her way of life as it already stands. A woman can go up in living, but she can never go down, as you well know."

Aletta gently chuckled, "Of course."

The King walked back over to his daughter, "She is in a mood today."

Lenore leaned over to him. "Father, we must meet with Byron Nicoletti's parents later. Please trust me, and follow along."

He gave a firm nod.

"My love, we should leave. I still have so much to do, and Lenore will arrive shortly to pick out her clothing. I must prepare them as she will need a great deal done." Aletta came to stand next to her husband. She briefly pecked Lenore's cheek. "Goodbye, my dear."

Her father gave a look of apology, before turning around and heading away from the court.

"The Queen seemed nice." Ophelia finally had the courage to stand next to her friend. Odelia followed beside her, as the commoners and their parents looked on. Remus and his family knew better than to watch.

"She told me my hair was thin and that my skin is dry." Lenore informed her. "Tana makes my lotion for me just like your mother does for you. She works very hard because she lives so far away and can't send me the cakes she used to make, so she sends me the smell."

"Is Tana your birth mother?" Odelia asked.

Lenore shook her head. "She was the only mother I've ever known however."

---***---

The time was nearing for Lenore to leave and go through whatever hell the Queen had planned for her. Routine was preparing for his jousting, while Remus chatted with his family, as did the commoners. Santh remained on the steps and watched everyone enjoy their time together.

"Why didn't Santh's parents come?" Ophelia asked in a low voice with her mother standing beside her.

Lenore looked over at the shorter girl. "They both have died. He lived with his Aunt, but she loathes him."

"Why?" Odelia questioned.

The Princess shrugged her shoulders.

"How did his parents die?" Ophelia asked.

Lenore took a couple deep breaths as she stared at the man across the way. He didn't show it much, but she could tell that he was bothered to see everyone with their parents. "His mother died of sickness when he was ten, and then his father in battle when he was twelve. His father was actually a close friend to my own, and one of the few men the King trusted."

Both mother and daughter covered their mouths as they listened to the story. "Oh dear, what a poor babe." Odelia was holding back tears. "His father died a hero then?"

She nodded her head. "Yes, and my father knows who he is but from what I understand Santh has told him repeatedly to treat him as a stranger. I believe he is angry with my father for sending him into battle. It was his only parent, after all."

"What battle did his father fall in?" Odelia asked.

This question looked to make Lenore uncomfortable, and she cleared her throat several times before answering. "It was the final battle against your husband, Lady Romanus. He died at your husband's hand."

All emotion melted from the two Romanus' faces. They looked shocked to hear of it and stood silent.

"Does he know?" Ophelia finally asked.

"I have never asked, but I would assume so." Lenore looked at Odelia who was just staring at the man sitting on the stairs.

"He... he doesn't treat me poorly." She was beginning to look upset.

"I believe he blames my father more than your own, besides you didn't take his father's life, why would he hold anything against you?"

Ophelia was quiet for a brief moment before speaking, "You certainly know a great deal about him."

"It is my business to know who exactly I keep in my company. I must always be weary of traitors or spies." Lenore sighed.

"Did you know about me... I mean my father before those girls told you?"

"Of course, it is my business to know." Lenore's eyebrows came together, "Lady Romanus, are you crying?"

Odelia suddenly broke free of the group, and hurried across the court where she hugged Santh tightly. She was on her knees and pressing his head into her bosom. Santh looked shocked for several moments not knowing what was going on. When Odelia released him, she spoke in a low tone to him.

"Whenever I send anything or come to visit, it will to be to visit my daughter and my new son." She patted his hand that she was holding in between her own.

Ophelia hurried to her mother's side. "Mother, what are you doing?"

"He needs a mother's love just as anyone else."

"It is quite alright, Lady..." Santh began.

"Pish posh! You are my boy now, and I am going to take care of you whether you like it or not. That's what a mother does." She pinched his cheek.

Santh looked around the court and found Lenore standing by herself with a large grin on her face. He knew this had something to do with her, but he wasn't sure what.

---***---

Lenore stood on a small platform in the Royal Dorms as several servants ensured that her dress fit, and prepared the items that would be needed for her hair and make up.

It was a room that was meant to be her own though she had never used it. A canopy bed set dead center in the room not pressed against any wall with purple silk curtains that could be released from the frames to disallow sunlight in. Several elegant, hand woven carpets sent by suitors of foreign countries laid about the room all of purple coloring, which allowed Lenore to know that the Queen had informed them that purple was the Princess' color. Lenore hated purple and would be preferred to dress in anything else.

The room had two fireplaces one for warming the room with two overstuffed purple chairs, and another near her desk to keep her warm while studying. Other than the six large wardrobes in the room, all of which were stuffed with clothing that Queen had sent to her, a wooden tub sat in the corner for her bathing. It had been filled and the water turned to a milk white with all the products that the Queen had ordered she bath in.

Queen Aletta had turned one of the over stuffed chairs around and watched as the servants went about their tasks. This was a common occurrence for Lenore whenever the Queen had wanted to use her to gain favor and sympathies.

The sheer lavender dress had a final lavender silk layer with long sleeves that fell to her feet when she lowered her arms.

"You have lost weight since your life in the castle. It must be due to those dreadful conditions and that commoner dining hall." Queen Aletta looked on with great annoyance upon her face. "They serve each student barely enough to keep a mouse alive, which is why your face is so shrunken in."

Lenore cleared her throat and mumbled under her breath. "You would know."

"What would I know?" She raised an eyebrow.

With her back to the Queen, Lenore closed her eyes briefly as she had forgotten how good her hearing was. "You would know what that dining hall offers... since you were a Mondue when you were last here."

Queen Aletta was silent for several moments, which Lenore knew was due to her calming herself down. "Yes, of course. I suppose we have that much in common."

One of the servants motioned for the Princess to step down and sat her in front of a mirror as they went to work on her hair and make-up.

"Milady, I will be participating in the melee today." She explained to her step-mother. "I need my hair to be manageable and not..."

"All these students know of you is that you are a blight on our family. For once, they will see what a beautiful, young woman you actually are, perhaps then you might find a suitor." The Queen waved her hand at the servants in order to make them hurry along with her plans.

Lenore found herself with her hair pulled into several different buns behind her head, which in the order they were place began to look like flowers. Metallic, gold flowers were placed in the center of each one and her circlet was woven into her hair so it would not be lost. A small gold flower with a diamond set in the center laid against her forehead. It was one of the more simplistic circlets that she owned.

Her nails were filed and painted, her face was changed by the power of cosmetics and Lenore watched as each second passed she was turned into someone she tried so desperately not to become. Once it was over, she stood to allow her step-mother to examine her.

"There." Queen Aletta touched her cheeks and turned her to look into the mirror. "Some earrings and a necklace, and won't you feel so much better?"

Some diamond drop earrings were placed on her ears, though she hadn't warn earrings in so long they had pierce her ears once more. A matching necklace was placed around her neck which the Queen placed there herself.

She put her hands on the Princess' shoulders and then looked at her in the mirror. "Now, you are a child that can be seen with her father without fear of humiliating him."

A brief knocked was heard from the door, before it opened and Lesatan stepped inside with his advisers following in behind him. He was overdressed as well, also wearing purple but in a puffed out pants and doublet with gold interlining. His advisers were dressed in appropriate gear for the tournament, and to Lenore's surprise Authin was standing amongst them.

"Ah, she has already gotten to you." Lesatan said to his sister. "Mother, we simply can not wear these costumes during the tournament. Lenore will never be able to move during the melee, and this doublet allows no arm movement for my archery."

Queen Aletta chuckled. "They are not costumes, they are the appropriate attire for those of your station. You may change after the greetings."

Lesatan frowned deeply. "Lenore will never have time. The melee is first for the morning, and she has the second battle."

"It is unfit for a woman to battle men for sport. She should be a bystander giving her wishes to a suitor, not fighting against one." Everyone knew the Queen meant Krius.

Lenore stood quietly not arguing against her queen, even with a hundred thoughts passing through her mind. However, the Queen was someone she was not to trifle with. Her father had made that clear enough to her.

Lesatan also knew that his sister would not speak out against his mother. "Where is your armor? I will ensure it is ready for you after the greetings."

"Mego was polishing it for me this morning, as well as making repairs. It should already be at the arena." Even though Lenore didn't trust her brother, she knew he was more worthy than his mother.

"Armand, go and make sure it is prepared. Take a servant with you so she may dress quickly when the time comes. Krius, ensure my armor is also in a waiting room at the arena, and that a servant is standing by for myself."

Both men bowed to all three members of the King's family before leaving the room. Queen Aletta did not look amused by her son's efforts against her, but decided that she would deal with him later.

---***---

"Where is she?" Santh looked around the arena as the teams were beginning to gather.

Anton and Jolon stood beside him, while Routine fiddled with the armor that he had been given. He loathed jousting and still did not understand why he had agreed to be part of this tournament. It was a full suit of armor that had been welded to his body and would be done so three more times over the tournament. He had little movement in his arms and legs, and would not be able to get out of the armor until each day after the jousting. The only comfort he had was that his helmet was detachable.

The arena had changed practically over night. All the tournament staging areas had been painted or otherwise groomed, and the teams gathering in the arena were some men that they had never seen at practice before. It was five teams with five members all preparing to be judged on the merits and victories.

The stands surrounding the arena were beginning to fill up. Even though the tournaments were the main event, outside the arena in a nearby field was a fair. Games could be played, prizes won, as well as delicious foods served. So even if one was not interested in the tournaments they could enter dancing contests of their own or win a simple prize throwing balls into vases.

"I'm sorry!" Lenore's voice could be heard through the small crowd, when she appeared her companions all stared at her unsure if this was really their dorm mate.

"What are you wearing?" Santh finally questioned.

Lenore looked displeased as she grabbed the sheer fabric of her dress and held it up to him. "The Queen did this to me... and my brother as well."

"She is making him wear a dress?" Anton teased.

Lenore briefly broke out in a grin, before returning to the conversation at hand. "I have my armor in a changing room under the stands and a servant to help me. I only pray that the first fight lasts a short while so I can change as much as possible."

Santh wanted to yell at her and ask why she would allow this to happen, but he knew she had little power in stopping this. "Do you know where the changing room is exactly?"

"I..."

"Well, there she is." A red headed woman came to stand in front of Lenore. Her features were thin and she wore an elegant dress though it did not come close to matching the Princess' or the Queen's.

Two girls around eighteen and seventeen stood behind her, looking exactly as Lenore and the woman who had just arrived. Santh immediately knew who this woman was, and Routine who was still standing in the foreground looked annoyed by her presence. He had met the woman more than once during parties while growing up.

"I heard awful rumors that my daughter would be participating in this barbaric display." She looked the Princess over and then grinned. "It's good to know that you have no intention to embarrass us further."

"Lady Imogene Vinson, this is Santh Aguilar, Anton Pugh, Jolon Marsh, and you know, Byron Nicoletti. They are my comrades during the tournament. Everyone this is my mother, Lady Imogene Vinson, and her two daughters, Audrey and Clarice." Lenore stood stoically as did her mother.

Imogene pressed her lips together. "You have been a disappointment since you entered the world, Lenore, I should have known it wouldn't have ended now. After all, your brother tells me that he has been here for two years and never once have you spoken to him. Your sister informs me that the same has occurred with her, as this is her freshmen year." She motioned toward Audrey.

"My brother? My sister?" Lenore seemed confused briefly.

"Dalton, your brother." Imogene scoffed and was about to speak once more to inform her of her sister but was immediately interrupted.

The Princess fought the urge to cross her arms. "I believe that I was told at a young age that the children you bare with Duke Vinson are not of my blood, and therefore I should never think to call them my siblings."

Audrey, the eldest daughter, looked offended and snapped. "Ha! Ever the fool, Lenore. No matter how much paint you place upon your face, you can never cover up your stupidity. You can not even recognize sarcasm or a good teasing."

The men standing nearby all seemed utterly shocked that these women were speaking to Lenore in such a manner. They all felt a desire to involve themselves, but held back out of respect as they knew the Princess was not one who looked to be saved.

"Mother should have thrown you out into the stables at a younger age, perhaps you could have done us all a favor and died of the bitter cold." Audrey barked.

"Audrey, manners." Imogene spoke gently to her, "That is not to be spoken of in polite company." Her eyes turned back to Lenore. "You..."

"Lady Vinson." Lesatan appeared next to his sister. "My father saw you from afar and wishes to speak with you."

Imogene grabbed the tress of her dress and immediately left the area; looking thrilled to have been invited. Lesatan didn't wait for any gratitude from his sister and also walked away from the group. Clarice gave a gentle wave to her eldest sister and Lenore offered out a wave in return. The youngest red head mouthed something to her sister, and Lenore gave a nod and a smile, before the young one hurried to follow her mother.

Lenore didn't bother to look ashamed of what her comrades had heard and before they could ask the question she knew was lingering in their minds, she answered. "My mother has always hated me for the simple fact that I was born. Had she not become pregnant with me she could have continued to stay in the castle and be my father's mistress." Her attention then turned to Routine. "Come, Byron, we have a brief meeting to attend before the tournament starts."

Routine clanked over toward her and gave his best nod.

"The rest of you wait here."

The other three didn't know what to say to each other and none thought to wonder why the two had a meeting together. They were all more interested in this Lady Imogene Vinson.

---***---

Renata and Vidal Nicoletti sat in one of the changing rooms beneath the stands. There was three wooden chairs and the rest of the small room was filled with weapons, armor, and even costumes for the plays they held at the arena.

"One would believe the King would meet us in a more hospitable setting." Renata's voice held some annoyance as she covered her mouth and face with a handkerchief to prevent breathing in the musky odors of the room.

"He must have his reasons." Vidal was sitting with one of his feet on the spare chair and in his own mind was trying to argue with his body about sweating into his nice clothing.

"What is so wrong with our son that he has to keep their engagement a secret?" She inhaled deeply into the cloth she held into her hand as she has sprayed it with her own perfumed scent.

Vidal sat up by putting both feet on the floor and leaning his elbows against his knees. "We shouldn't question his intention, and instead be thankful that our son found interest in anyone at all. Especially when that someone is the Princess of our entire nation."

They both looked up when they heard loud clanking coming down the hallway, right before someone knocked at the door. When the visitors heard that they may enter Lenore and Routine stepped in. At least, Routine attempted to step inside. His plated shoulders caught on the narrow door frame and he tried to force his way through.

"Turn to your side, Byron." Lenore mumbled to him.

Routine who seemed to have lost all cognitive thought in the armor, realized his behavior was out of sorts for him and quickly turned to the side. He was able to enter the small room with ease.

"This armor is intolerable." Routine grumbled.

His parents hurried to stand and greeted the Princess with a bow.

"My, Princess, you look quite different than when I last saw you this morning." Renata commented.

"The Queen's handy work." Lenore explained and the two men in the room could tell she was unimpressed by her wardrobe.

Renata grinned, "Well, she has excellent taste."

"She certainly thinks she does." Lenore almost snapped the comment back.

Vidal decided it was best to change the subject. "Milady, I hate to hurry this along, but will your father be joining us shortly?"

"Yes, he was on his way last I saw..." She was cut short as her father entered into the room. He looked at her with confusion but it was an expression that only Lenore could detect. To everyone else he looked stoic. "Father, Lord Vidal and Lady Renata Nicoletti. I assume you have already had the pleasure of meeting them."

The King nodded his head. "Yes, it is a pleasure once more."

"It is an honor that you have allowed your daughter to join our family, milord." Vidal bowed his head. "My son never shows much interest in others, but he does enjoy his relationship with the Princess."

The King gave a brief look to his daughter as what was occurring before him came together in his mind. Lenore had asked that he trust her, and so he would. "My daughter is not one to allow someone to tell her she can not do something. She always finds a way."

Renata chuckled, as did her husband soon after.

"Of course, we don't want this announced until after our graduation." Lenore added.

"Indeed." The King gave a firm and confident nod. "Not only would it draw too much attention during the time they should be studying, but I feel that some would attempt to force the marriage to an earlier date. I value my daughter's education. I hope you see this my way."

"Yes, Milord." Both the parents bowed to him once more.

"Now, if you will excuse us. Lenore and I have to begin the greetings so that they may start the tournament."

"Princess, we shall be cheering for you from the stands." Renata informed her as she was walking out the door.

Lenore turned from the door way, and smiled. "Thank you. I will do my best to honor both of our families."

The fully armored Routine stood before his parents knowing that he would not have his tournament until later in the evening. "Are you satisfied? The King has acknowledged the engagement."

Renata nodded and stepped toward her son. "You should have more properly given thanks, Byron." She placed her hands on his plated shoulders. "My word, you look so handsome in this armor. Do you need me to hold your spectacles while you are jousting?"

"My spectacles?" Routine stomped his foot twice. "I shall be blind during combat! They shall rue the day they inflicted me with this task!"

---***---

In the distance the horns began to sound, and the King led his entire family up into a covered booth where he and his wife would watch the tournaments. Tables were laid out before them with food and wine that they could enjoy during the entirety of the day.

However, as a boy he had always watched his own father give the greetings and had always wanted to be the one who welcomed everyone. This was his most exciting moment.

The Queen stood beside him followed by Lesatan and then Lenore. The latter of the two were antsy as they knew they would have to hurry to their changing room. They both also knew that their father was rather long winded during these speeches.

Lenore picked out her dorm mates from the crowd of other tournament combatants, and gave a gentle wave to them in hopes that no one sitting in the arena seats would notice. Anton and Jolon looked thrilled by the acknowledgment, though Routine was still annoyed by his armor and Santh was only filled with worry.

"She does look regal in that dress, doesn't she?" Anton whispered to his friend.

Jolon gave a nod. "I can hardly tell it is her."

"Welcome to Apisarn University Tri-Yearly Tournament!" The king began to speak with a loud booming voice. "Today our greatest warriors compete in unity with their comrades to win the great honor of being an Apisarn Champion. Though it was many years ago, I once knew the true joy of winning along side my team mates in these matches. I, also, knew the horrible taste of defeat. These battles prove to us who our champions are, and show us the real men..." He looked down at his daughter, "and woman are among us." His addition of acknowledging his daughter made the crowd laugh. "Boys, don't go easy on her because she is a woman. I can guarantee she won't go easy on you." Another joke that made the crowd laugh more, and Lenore started to feel like she was not being taken seriously by any of these people. "Now, let us begin!"

Lesatan nearly shoved Lenore to get her to move down the steps as the King and Queen took their seats. She passed her team mates that were looking on with worry as the melee was beginning against the Mondue and the Souchan melee fighters. Lenore would be next and no one thought that small Souchan had much of a chance against the large Mondue.

When Lenore disappeared under the stands. Anton and Jolon looked nervously on though Santh out matched them all.

"One more time, Santh, how does scoring work?" Jolon asked him in hopes that he could take the large man's mind off of Lenore's wardrobe change. He had explained before that if she didn't appear within a couple minutes of her name being announced that they would be disqualified from the tournament completely.

Santh cleared his throat. "There are five events, each occurring for three days. Melee, Jousting, and Unarmed have six battles per day with each battle having four judges that give out five points per competitor and additional two points earned for winning the battle unless you score all five from the judges. Therefore you can earn sixty points a day, and over the course of three days have a maximum of 180 points. Are you understanding this thus far?" Santh looked at the two of them.

"Yes." Jolon spoke and Anton nodded.

He cleared his throat before he continued. "Hammer throwing and Archery happen between the different battles. Meaning when the Melee is done, the archery begins followed by the unarmed, then the hammer throwing, and lastly the jousting. Hammer throwing and archery both depend on where your aim hits the targets. The hammer throwing is marked by the sand pit for points with the higher pointed areas being smaller than the lower pointed areas. For both the target has zero, two, four, six, eight, and ten points. Both of you must do this three times per day in order to gain your maximum of sixty points, you have no judges. Is this clear enough for you?"

"And when it's over all of our points are added together for a total of nine hundred points maximum?" Anton asked.

Santh gave a brief nod. "It isn't as complicated as it sounds. Now, the first battle is beginning. Be silent."