Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 16: Fragile At Best

Lenore awoke long before anyone else in the dorm did and dressed herself to have breakfast with what the people called her family. Once she was ready, she stepped out into the hall just as Routine was leaving the dorm to be fitted once again into the full armor.

He didn't bother to ask why she was up as early as he was, either he didn't care or he knew she wouldn't tell him. As they walked through the dirt court, Routine's expression told of the annoyance he had for this entire ordeal. Lenore went ahead of him when they reached the path that would take them away from the dorm, and once they came into the flowered court she turned to face him.

"We part ways here." She informed him before leaning over and delicately laying a kiss upon his cheek. "Thank you for suffering through this, Byron. I know you could have simply rejected the idea."

Routine didn't change his facial expression or even offer her a response as he turned to walk toward the arena. Lenore watched him for a few seconds, before she headed off in the opposite direction.

The walk to the Royal Dorms was a bit far, but it took less time when the paths were not crowded. The guards opened the gates that were normally closed at night for her, and she made her way into the dorms and up the many flights of stairs where she found a private dining hall.

Her father was already waiting for his family when she arrived. He sipped on a cup of tea and motioned for her to sit next to him.

The dining room was small with a lit fireplace, and a dark wood table that sat eight comfortably. The servants would bring the food up from the kitchen eventually. The red curtains and matching rug made the room look just like any other room in these dorms. It was as if who ever designed this place had no creativity at all.

Lenore took a seat next to her father who sat at the head of the table. He pushed her tea cup closer to her since there were no plates on the table yet, and then poured her some hot tea from a silver tea pot.

"Tell me how are your tasks are coming along?" The king asked as he took another sip. He hadn't bothered to ask his daughter if she wanted cream or sugar, as they both preferred their tea natural.

"Lesatan and I have come to an agreement over the girls' dorm. I no longer humiliate him in public, and I come when he commands."

He nodded his head slowly. "Yes, I heard of the overhaul of the dorm. It has always been a regret of mine that I had not the courage to change it when I attended Apisarn." He placed his tea cup down in front of him and looked over toward his daughter. "So, it was your idea then?"

"Initially, but as you know any advice given by an adviser is the king's to gain prestige from." She sipped her tea delicately.

"I will then praise your brother. Now, tell me of your other task."

Lenore took another sip before setting the cup down. "The network is still in it's infancy, but I believe that it is growing. Remus is not even aware of it's existence yet, or his role in it. I have found Ophelia to be a wonderful addition, as many people ignore her entirely and speak freely, plus she enjoys gossiping. Everything is going according to plan albeit slower than we believed it would take."

"This Santh boy. He would be an asset especially when it came to your protection, do you not agree?"

Lenore shook her head. "Our relationship is fragile at best. He seems to come to my aid from time to time, but as soon as I gain any accord with him, he immediately pushes me away and becomes distant if not out right hostile."

He sat quietly for a brief moment, before nodding his head gently. "I shall leave it in your hands."

As he finished speaking, the double doors that lead to the dining room were pushed open and Aletta and Lesatan entered the room with a servant following behind them. The Queen looked at Lenore with displeasure, as she disliked the Princess having her father's ear without one of her spies present.

She took a seat across the table from Lenore, and Lesatan sat next to his mother. She immediately turned to the servant. "Inform them that we are ready for our meal." She snapped, before turning her angry glare back to Lenore.

---***---

The rest of the Unmentionable's Dorm was aflutter with activity as everyone awoke and prepared for their day. Breakfast had been brought to their dorm as all the competitors would receive during the three day break from classes. It was a welcomed change of pace, though Anton and Jolon truly wished to know what it would be like to be out in the fair and not stuck in the arena the entire day.

Lenore had left a note explaining she was summoned to have breakfast with her family, which Ophelia had announced to them one by one as they left their rooms. She wondered out loud what it would be like to eat with such people, and imagined it to be graceful and pleasant.

As they finished their meals, the bells rang informing them that they would need to arrive at the arena soon. When they all stood to leave, Nolan appeared from down the pathway.

Anton was surprised, "Father, why are you here?"

Nolan looked at the others. "Please, take your leave. I must have a word with my son."

They all gave respectful bows of their heads as they walked passed their elder and headed toward the arena. Nolan watched them as they disappeared before he put his hands behind his back and began to walk toward the dorm. He stared up at it for a few moments, before he began to speak.

"This was my dorm when I attended this school." He looked around the court briefly. "Though the court had grass back in my day. I believe we slept in the same dorm. Single bed?"

"Top bunk." Anton replied quickly to his father.

"When I attended Apisarn, the commoners had to attach themselves to someone of another guild. We worked as servants for them the majority of the time, and when we weren't with them we were quick to rush from class to dining hall to dorm. Keep your head down, make no eye contact, and know you were never a friend to another outside your own guild." Nolan had walked over to the small stairs and put his foot on the first one. "I learned all the paths that the servants used so I could stay out of the way and not be an eye sore. If they felt offended by my premise they could find a way to easily remove me."

"I feel as if you are trying to teach me, father, but I can not come to the conclusion as to what." Anton took a couple stepped closer to his father, and kept his hands folded in front of his body.

Nolan turned to his son. There was an icy glare in his eyes, but it was a look that his father always carried. "You realize that they are not your friends, don't you?"

"Who?"

"All of your so called dorm mates." He came to stand directly in front of Anton. "You are nothing more than a servant to most of them, not even Jolon is your equal. You will some day have to answer to his father or Jolon himself."

Anton seemed taken aback for a moment. "Father, I have lived here amongst them for months now, and I have never felt like they saw me as a servant. Even the Princess treats us with respect and what passes for kindness per her personality."

"Do not fool yourself. She, the Mondue, and the Souchan have no use for you other than the archery tournament. Eventually, they will wish for you to provide another service. No one outside our guild has any use for us, and even then we are the bottom tier." He crossed his arms.

"I asked to join the tournament, we begged Santh and Lenore to join and Routine even now loathes being in the tournament. We..."

Nolan snorted. "Boy, you leave home for a couple months and you believe you know these people. I have worked with and for them my entire life. They are not your friends. You are disposable. If you remember that this is all you are and all you will ever become, then you will find yourself without regret or heartbreak when the bitter truth is revealed. Understand?"

"Understood."

Clearing his throat, Nolan released his crossed arms. "You need to focus on studying and keeping your head down. Do not join the tournaments again. Now, finish this nonsense so you may direct yourself to your proper place and tasks."

---***---

The melee came and went much more quickly then the day before, though it took the same amount of time for all the fights, the event just seemed to pass by. Lenore fought Krius first, and was able to defeat him though she had rolled around and avoided his attacks for several moments before she got a clear chance at his back. The rest of her battles went much the same and she found herself in first place.

Anton's archery had also come to an end. The Prince defeated him and left him in second place for the day, though everyone in the dorm could tell that something other than archery was on his mind. Most knew it had something to do with his father, except Lenore who had not been present when he visited.

Even when he arrived at the arena, he looked defeated already and then he barely cheered for Lenore when her battles were upon them. No one dared to ask him about his private conversation, though everyone had words they wished to speak.

Routine had found himself a spot to lean on against the wall and hadn't bothered to move. He went on about how there had to be better battle armor, and if not someone needed to invent it. Though most of his ranting was ignored by his team mates.

Santh was preparing for his round of the tournament by stretching and punching invisible enemies. The two minute break period would be over upon them soon, and he was the first battle of the day against the Royal, Armand. Even though Armand was smaller, he had done well the day before and had come in second for the day.

When Anton exited the platform after the final count, Lenore patted his shoulder and told him he had done well. She watched him walk over to the benches and throw his bow to the ground, before yanking off his quiver and tossing it beside him on the bench. His eyes went to his father who was sitting in the stands and had not cheered once for his son.

"Is something the matter with Anton?" Lenore asked Santh as he continued to stretch.

Santh looked briefly over his shoulder at Anton who was positioned away from the group, but relatively close to Routine. "His father visited him this morning. If I had to postulate, I would assume that it was not a pleasant discussion." He turned his attention back to her. "Ophelia tells us that you had breakfast with your family, I find that curious considering how much time you spend avoiding them."

The two didn't notice that when the unarmed was announced, the stands began to fill in. Though Jolon, who stood nearby the Princess, remembered how it had done so for the hammer throw but not for the unarmed the day before.

"I find it curious that you have taken an interest in my life, so much so that you would believe yourself privy to information about my time spent with them and why." She crossed her arms and cocked her head to the side.

Santh pressed his lips together. "Very well, you needn't tell me. I was merely attempting a trivial conversation as a way to bond between team mates. Had I known it was a touchy and private topic, I would have left well enough alone."

She exhaled, "It was just breakfast. They are my family and I do enjoy visiting with my father, despite any rumors you may have heard."

"Yet, you do not enjoy your brother's and the Queen's company, so why torture yourself by heeding their invitation? It seems to me that you are either lying about your disdain for them, or allowing them to control your life despite your belief to the contrary."

Lenore licked her bottom lip. "You may not have family you care for or even responsibilities belonging to your station, but I do. I may be a bastard child, but I take the given vocation seriously. One such task set before me is to give the illusion that the Queen is a good person, whether I appreciate doing so or not."

Santh didn't know whether to be offended by her comments or apologetic over his.

She didn't give him time and cleared her throat. "We can never just have a pleasant conversation, can we?"

---***---

After a few moments of silence between the group, Santh and Lenore realized how filled the arena was becoming. They began to look around along with Jolon who had ignored their previous conversation and had been watching the entire ordeal.

Lenore looked toward Ophelia and Odelia who were trying to get their attention. She left Santh behind and quickly made her way toward them. She had to pull herself up over the arena wall after standing on a box to get close enough to them. When she was pulled up but her legs still dangling, both the Romanus women placed their arms over her own to help hold her up.

"Everyone is aflutter over Santh." Ophelia informed her. "He is the favorite to win without losing this tournament."

Odelia added, "Also, the girls are overly fond of his appearance."

Lenore chuckled. "It must be because he never went to the ground yesterday, and knocked out all his opponents." She looked to Remus who was sitting behind the girls. "You wouldn't happen to know anything more about this, would you?"

"What could putting the odds in favor of my dark horse do for me?" Remus frowned. "I am insulted that you would think I could possibly be that supportive and not as incredibly selfish as you know I am."

"Very well, I apologize for thinking you could ever be so kind as to get the school on the Unmentionable's side."

He gave a firm nod. "Thank you."

Lenore eyes briefly went over to the Royal booth where the Queen was watching her, and waving at her to get down from the arena. She was certain she was mouthing something about her looking like a dead fish on a line. "Well, her Royal Evilness is embarrassed by my actions."

With that she dropped down, and hurried back over to Santh. Who was waiting patiently for her to come back and explain what she had been told. Jolon came to stand next to her as he was curious as well what was going on, though Routine and Anton stayed in the distance.

"Apparently, people are impressed by your fighting style and believe you could win the tournament without a single loss." She told him as the arena was being prepared for the fights.

Santh raised an eyebrows surprised by the support that he was seeing in the stands. Jolon, on the other hand, chuckled as he looked out amongst the crowd.

"I hear that girls are coming from far and wide to get a view of your shirtless form, as well." She teased with a grin. "Poor girls, I get to see you half nude every day."

He frowned partially, and then a small smirk came to his lips. "You are one of the lucky few."

His response immediately made Lenore smile, "Why, Santh! I do believe you are getting the hang of handling me! So soon? I will have to change my tactics if this continues."

He turned his back to her as if he was annoyed by her comment, but the small grin remained clearly on his lips. "Speaking of tactics, do you have any advice for me?"

"Other than, watch out they have been plotting all night by discussing tactics against you with their teams, no. Just do what you did yesterday that seemed simple enough." She informed him with Jolon standing by her side.

"Don't go to the ground and end the fight quickly to reduce fatigue." Santh more chanted to himself than actually spoke to his two team mates. "Jolon, you stand ring side and assist me."

Lenore looked insulted, "What of me?"

"You have angered the Queen enough for one day. Yesterday, she was not pleased to have you coaching me, so rest for now." With that Santh moved to begin his fight with Jolon at his side.

The Princess looked toward her step-mother who was indeed watching her with a cool stare. Sighing, she decided that Santh was right and walked over to the bench to sit next to Anton and Routine, both of which were silent and would not cheer once while Santh took first place for the second day in a row.

---***---

Pymus watched as his son finished taking bets and made his way to take a seat next to him. He often wondered if Crolus was his own as the boy had a large frame and none of his father's wits about him. Of course, despite their size difference Remus and Crolus looked a great deal alike, and that was certainly not due to having the same mother.

However, it was Remus that was most like him and that he had a closer bond with, even though he knew his second son thought that his father was unimpressed by him. He knew that like himself Remus needed to work toward a goal at all times, and his father's affection was most assuredly his greatest reward. While Crolus was a simple man, yet at times it seemed like he was well beyond Pymus' understanding. He was a child that only his mother could motivate and the blasted woman disappeared years ago without so much as a hint to assist him.

"I hear the Fox has been purchasing property in the market. Do you suppose the old boy is going legit?" Pymus asked his son and seemed to ignore the fact that they were in public.

Remus looked to his father and knew immediately that this was a test being administered by an older Fox to the newest one. He smirked before answering him. "The Fox; a legitimate business man? I highly doubt that."

"I wonder what his motives are then? It seems quite odd that after such a long history of being the head of the black market and hiding in the shadows, he suddenly starts owning parts of the hamlet, and selling legal wares there? Quite odd behavior." Pymus leaned back on the bench and watched his son for a few seconds, as he formulated an answer.

"Certainly one could see the benefits of owning businesses in the area? Perhaps hiding in the open is a more stealthy approach then what he tried in the past. He also doesn't purchase anything under his own name, of course, that would be foolish nor is there any way to trace the ownership back to him." There was a pause before he added. "After all, he was almost caught once, wasn't he?" Remus was referring to his brother that had been captured but the information was never released to the general public.

Pymus looked out over the arena and watched as they prepared everything for the hammer throwing. "Or it could very well become his end, as he has become too cocksure for his own good." His son didn't have an answer immediately, so Pymus decided he wouldn't give him the opportunity to think. "Though, perhaps the Fox is doing this for other reasons."

"Such as?" Remus raised an eyebrow.

Pymus motioned his head toward the girl sitting in front of him. "Some emotions can cause a man to action in ways he normally wouldn't, and would always see as insane."

He knew what his father was suggesting. "I wouldn't worry about that, father."

"If the Fox's right hand says so."

Though she never acknowledged it, Ophelia had been listening to the conversation taking place right behind her. It seemed like an odd chat for the two to be having, and she wondered what it meant. Obviously, Pymus knew that his son worked for the Fox and seemed to be accepting of this position.

She couldn't pin point anything in the conversation that was odd in and of itself, though she knew there seemed to be a conversation happening under the words. However, the hammer throwing began and Ophelia immediately lost interest as she began cheering for her dorm mate.

---***---

The dorm mates walked home together after the tournament, while everyone's parents went to the feast once more. Jolon found himself first in hammer throwing that day and was rather proud of himself though he barely made it by two points.

Routine made his way to second place for the day but seemed unimpressed by his defeat of two of the other dorms. All he had wanted to do was have the armor removed as quickly as possible, so much so that he nearly knocked the other competitors down on their way to the fitting rooms.

"We are doing better than I ever expected we would." Lenore announced to the tired group.

Ophelia and Remus followed behind the tired warriors. Every once in a while one of them could not hide their exhaustion and would make a humorous sound or offer a look of pure fatigue that would cause the two spectators to look at each other with amusement.

Santh yawned into his hand before stretching his arms above his head. This caused a chain reaction from the others to also stretch and yawn. Once he finished he spoke, "We could easily place second."

"Second?" Both Jolon and Anton spoke in unison.

"That hardly seems worth it." Jolon added.

Lenore nodded in agreement with Santh. "For a dorm that never competed before that is a good placement. We can always make first place next time."

Anton snorted. "Jolon and I are barely beginners and look how well we have done. We can easily take first place this competition, and besides I don't think I will be part of the next tournament. We have to make first."

"Why won't you compete in the next tournament?" Ophelia asked from behind them.

"I just think it gets in the way of my studying."

Jolon chuckled. "We get time from our studying to be part of this. It's an important event for the university."

Anton shrugged, "It just seems like a great deal of work and I do not want to take part in it again."

"His father has forbid him." Lenore spoke when she realized everyone else had been struck to silence.

"My father has not..." He cut himself off. "He sent me here to focus on my studies and return home, and he doesn't wish me wasting my time. I have to study while I am here."

The group came to stop in the flowered court and they all turned to Anton. "What are your marks?" Santh asked.

"I am doing well under Routine's tutelage."

"Byron." Routine mumbled but was too tired to say any more.

Remus frowned, "Have your marks diminished since you began your training?"

"No."

"Then I fail to understand your father's objection to your participation in the tournament." Remus looked to Santh. "Can you explain this?"

The large man looked nearly insulted that Remus had put the question to him. "Why would I know anything?"

"You are a commoner of sorts." He shrugged.

"If you want a commoner's input why not address Jolon? He would have a better understanding than I would."

Lenore pressed her lips together. "Your father does not approve of us, does he?"

Anton brought his brows together, "Are you spying on me?"

She laughed briefly and bitterly. "Do you honestly believe I would waste my efforts on you? It's deduction, Anton. Your father spoke to you in private, you were upset, and now you are bringing this information to us. Your marks are excellent, therefore there can only be one other reason. He dislikes the associations you have made."

"Why would you make such an assumption?" Jolon inquired.

"I have learned that many commoner's especially those of lower station hold a bitterness toward those far above them." She explained. "Your father struck me as very bitter."

Anton sighed. "Let us speak no longer on this topic. This is the last time that I will be involved in the tournaments." With that he turned toward the dirt path and hurried toward his dorm, the others began to follow behind him except for Lenore, Santh and Remus who remained where they stood.

"I will be at The Enchantress." Santh informed them, though neither knew why as he never told others where he was going before. With that he left with nothing more spoken to them.

"That was odd of him." Lenore mumbled.

"There seems to be a great deal of that going around today." Remus took a deep breath. "So, Nolan Pugh has chosen to be poison in our little well." Remus folded his hands in front of him.

"Do you just make that up?"

He nodded with a smirk.

"Stick to the classics, that was terrible." Lenore stretched her neck and didn't take notice of the disappointed look on Remus' face. "This is not a problem we need worry about now. It will be dealt with in the future."

"As you say, my Princess."

---***---

The King sat at the head of the table while Aletta and Lesatan sat beside each other to his left. A place to his right was set for Lenore, but she had not arrived for the evening meal that the Queen had invited her to. They had decided not to attend the feast and instead have a family meal since they were now so rare. Lenore's disregard no doubt caused the Queen's heart to burn. The two men in the room could see that she was seething from this insult. She removed all doubt when she looked up from the table placement and began to speak.

"Spoiled child." She scooped some of her potato soup into her mouth. "Common courtesy dictates that you send a servant with regrets when you can not attend."

"All of the competitors are exhausted, mother. Myself included, if it weren't for this meal, I would be asleep by now." Lesatan knew that the soup was merely the beginning of the meal though he could barely lift his eyelids.

Aletta snorted. "You pulled the strings back on a bow a handful of times, you did nothing to be exhausted over. Try eight hours of labor giving birth to your ungrateful person... or perhaps join the melee like a real man!"

The Prince took a breath and began to eat his meal once more.

"The tournament is more than simply being in the competitions at your allotted time." The King explained in a soft voice. "It takes planning and working together with your fellows. I was involved in every tournament while I attended and I can assure you that these three days are the most exhausting and most awarding of all."

"Be that as it may, he shouldn't be humiliating the country with archery, while Lenore does so with melee." Her voice was getting louder with each word she spoke. "The two roles should be switched, more so Lenore should be with the Royal Dorms. Not gallivanting around with peasants." She tossed her spoon down, "I have lost my appetite."

The two men watched her leave the room in a huff, and when the door slammed they both looked relieved that she was gone.

"Is something bothering her other than the tournament?" Lesatan asked. "She seems more intolerant than usual."

"Your mother is well known to you. I am positive that there are plots afoot and perhaps they are not going in a direction that she had hoped." He put his spoon back into the still filled bowl. "At the very least, I no longer have to pretend that I am eating this awful food. Let us send someone into town to purchase us some treats."

Lesatan smirked. "I wish I could, father, but I am truly exhausted. Would it be an insult if I were to take my leave?"

He shook his head. "No, you have quite the day ahead of you. Sleep well tonight, so that you may do well tomorrow."

The Prince stood from his chair, and bowed to his father before he opened the double doors. "Lord Pymus." Lesatan's voice caused the King to look up from his bowl of soup that he was contemplating eating.

"Have a honey bun, boy." Pymus pulled one from the basket that he was carrying. "I am here to see your father."

"He is inside." Lesatan watched as Pymus briefly looked over his shoulder. "You needn't worry, my mother has already taken leave."

"Excellent."

---***---

Dalton Vinson found himself alone in the library during the tournaments. He was barely making passing marks and had already been told by his professors that his continued failures would lead him to be expelled from the school. He wished he could blame this on the hatred for his family, but it was only the students that seemed to hold anything against him. Even when the library was full of students, it was as if a foul odor surrounded him that kept any one who dared to get close out.

It all began over five hundred years ago, when the current Royal family began to take control of the lands. The Mondue and Souchan were their own countries that were constantly in a cold war. A king from the north ordered his brother who was a prince to take his armies down to the two nations and unite them once and for all. As their altercations caused hardship for the other kingdoms that relied on them. The king told his brother that he would give him the lands to rule if he managed to unite them.

The prince would eventually be known as the Northern King, as he soon beat the Mondues and with their help the Souchans were easily over taken. However, the Mondues would have never lost the battles if it hadn't been for Vinsons who betrayed their people for land, wealth, and power. All of which they received when the Northern King took control and created the nation of Ronea.

Five hundred years later, Dalton's and the Queen's family had not been forgiven. They were known as traitors who had received ill gotten gains. There was no love for the Vinsons and Dalton found that most families that married their daughters to them did so because the girls had a unsavory past or because she was a beast to look upon. They got the scraps and when they couldn't find any, then one would marry a cousin. Of course, the girls themselves had it far worse as many spent their lives more like celibate monks than women searching for a husband. It was rare for a Vinson girl to be chosen to wed anyone unless the other families found a suitor to be too abhorrent, then a Vinson girl would be offered.

"Why are you reading that dreadful tale?" His younger sister, Clarice, sat down beside him. "Every time I visit, you have that book out."

Dalton inhaled the scent of old books and scrolls, before he closed the book that contained his family's history on the table before him. "If we could find a good reason why our ancestors betrayed them, then maybe the people would understand."

"It wouldn't matter. The dye has been cast. Convincing people to change their minds after five hundred years is like trying to tell the sun not to shine in the morning. You have no control over such things." She leaned back in her chair. "Lenore is doing well during the tournament. Her dorm might have a chance of winning."

He snorted. "It's strange that she came from the same mother as we did, and grew up on the same land and yet she is a loved princess and we are hated outcasts." He slowly shook his head, "Of course, if it hadn't been for her birth then our mother would never have married our father. We would have been saved this torment."

"You think too much."

Dalton looked at his sister. It was rare for Vinson girls to be attractive, but both of his sisters had managed to become copies of their mother. "Do you know how hard it will be to marry you off? You are just as beautiful as Lenore, but she has suitors from far and wide while our parents will beg others to marry you."

Clarice sighed. "Always worrying about circumstances that can not be changed. Don't worry about me, Dalton. Lenore promised me a couple years ago that she would assist me if I ever needed it, besides I already have a lover that goes here."

"Do you believe his parents will allow him to wed a Vinson?"

She shrugged her shoulders. "I do not know. I do know, however, that I am not going to worry about that right now. I am going to enjoy my time, as you should."

"Once you come to university, you will see how foolish that is to say. My marks are getting worse and I may be expelled." He tapped his fingers on the book.

"Ask Lenore to tutor you. My lover tells me that she is exceptionally intelligent, so much so that the two classes he has with her she doesn't even study or open the books for them." She stood up and grabbed her brother's upper arm. "Come, she went back to her dorm for the night. Let's ask her."

He pulled his arm away from her. "I will ask her for nothing. Do not mention it again."

---***---

Pymus sat down beside the King and placed the basket full of sweets on the table. "Sweets for my sweet?"

The King scowled for a brief moment before reaching into the basket and taking a honey bun. "I was considering sending someone out for such concoctions. How is it you always arrive with exactly what I desire?"

He put his feet on the table and leaned back in his chair with a grin. "Lucius, that question makes me believe that you do not know the truth of my nature." He watched his king eat a couple bites of the bun before speaking. "Will you not ask?"

The King offered a curious look.

"About the Aguilar boy. I noticed you sneaking a good look at him the other day, surely you want to know if I have spoken to him." Pymus sat forward and placed his feet back on the ground as he pulled a bun out for himself. "You have never explained to me why the two of you are not in contact."

"I could not bring myself to speak to him after Varden's death. First his mother and then his father, and I couldn't even look the boy in the eyes to apologize. When I finally offered him his father's share, he turned it all down. Said he would never trade his father's blood for such worldly goods." He slowly picked at the bun and brought small pieces to his mouth. "I have left him alone since then."

"Then he has chosen his path, and is no longer your concern."

The King shook his head. "He will always be my concern. During classes here, you and Varden were my only true friends. I have done what I can for him without making my presence known, but it seems Lenore is doing far more for him then she realizes."

"He does seem to come out of his shell quite a bit around her, doesn't he?" Pymus chuckled. "He is much like his father. Brooding, but always ready to jump at the chance to assist anyone. A heart of honor hidden under layers of true agony that the ladies can never seem to get enough of. I swear watching him in that arena is just like being back here and watching Varden in his tournaments."

The King laughed, "Yes, indeed it is. Though, one could say that same for Remus and you. Sneaking around the stands, taking bets, and you watching him with pride only someone as sordid as you could have for such an activity."

"Is it wrong to be proud of my son?"

"Not at all." He leaned forward and cleared his throat as he placed his elbows on the table. "I wonder why then are you allowing his brother to take control of the guild. I have told you that Crolus has a place in the Royal Guard, and yet you do not allow him to come to the castle."

A knowing grin appeared on Pymus' face. "I already decided long ago that Remus was my successor, but I certainly wasn't going to hand it over to him without some proof and hard work. I will tell him when the time is right, until then let him continue on this journey."

"So be it, you are his father, after all."

"Which begs another question." He took a bite of his bun before speaking again to the King. "I am curious why Lenore lives in the South Dorms. She wouldn't be there without your constant. Are you plotting something, old boy?"

He pressed his lips together before speaking. "It seems to me that Lesatan asks for more allowance every time we send it, even though I know he is taking Lenore's as well. How much do you send your boy?"

Pymus looked disappointed. "Changing the subject, very well. I send him nothing. He wants something then he should learn how to make it appear in his possession himself."

"Aletta would never allow me to do that."

"Lenore is doing so." Pymus smirked.

"Yes. I am sure your boy is very amused to have her working for him." The King finished his bun and reached into the basket for another.

Pymus snorted, "If she is anything like you, then we both know she is truly in charge in that little contract."

---***---

Santh sighed heavily as he made his way back to the dorm. He knew he shouldn't have had that last mug of ale, but he didn't want to go home just yet. His stomach rumbled and he knew that the tossing stomach would make good on it's threats, though he didn't know from which end. Deciding to go into the woods, he wanted to find a place away from the dorms so he would have peace.

Finding a place behind a tree, he pulled down his pants and began to have the worst few minutes of his evening. After a time, he found some leaves to clean himself up and pulled his pants back up, just in time to see a figure heading toward the dorms by following the stream.

The first idea that came to mind was that someone from the other dorms was retaliating against them for their efforts in the tournament. He decided to follow the figure and catch him in whatever act he was planning.

It didn't take long for him to close in on the dorm and someone else was waiting for him at the stream. The two embraced and kissed each other deeply, and when the woman stepped back, Santh felt his heart drop. It was Lenore, but he couldn't make out who the man was. He grew closer, trying to hide himself behind the trees and using the darkness as well.

"You are doing exceptionally well in the melee, Lenore." The man told her. "It saddens my heart that you will not tie my record."

"We went to school here together for a year. You would have lost to me, Crolus, then there would have been no record to speak of."

Santh felt confused as he tried to decide if he had really just heard Remus' brother's name.

"I will not dispute that claim." He jested. "I set up a small picnic not far from here, shall we?" He took her hand and began to lead her toward the place he had created.

Lenore laughed. "Always the romantic, even for a minor tryst in the woods."

"Better to have a blanket then to roll around in the leaves." The darkness of the night allowed Crolus to feel less shy about his actions and words, as his deep red blush could no longer be seen.

Santh watched as the two disappeared into the distance. He came to stand beside the stream where he had witnessed the two kiss. He tried to wrap his mind around what he had just seen. Was Lenore having a romantic rendezvous with Remus' dull-witted brother? Were they lovers? Lenore had said it was no use to date men beneath her, but then again if Crolus was to be the Merchant Guild Master, she and he could marry.

"Santh, what are you doing out here?" Ophelia came out to the steam with a bucket to fetch some water.

He looked at her as she looked down the stream where he had been staring. "I just saw Lenore leave. Did she say where she was going?"

"She said she was meeting a friend, but gave no more details. Why?" She bent over and filled the bucket, when she lifted it up the container was far heavier than before.

Santh took it from her. "It does not matter." He began to walk inside.

Ophelia glimpsed down the stream once more and thought of the strange behavior. "First Anton and now Santh. Maybe it is like Remus said, and some thing is in the water." She frowned. "Now I am talking to myself, and therefore I am the third case."