Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 22

Standing in front of the mansion gates, Lucas sighed. He had left a note for Alanna and explained all that had occurred, telling her that she may give the note to Damon if she wished. Placing his hand on the cold bar of the gate, he stared off into the distance. Wondering what was in his future now. He had expected to spend years with Damon, but it had been mere months.

At first, he didn't like the man, and there was still some things about him he wish could be changed. Still he taught him things about himself that he never knew existed. Several times Damon had made mention of Lucas' father, which angered him. Lucas would try to ignore it as best he could, and continue on with their training.

It was all over now though. Even Alanna, whom he had grown to care deeply for, was now no more then a memory. He had to keep it that way, knowing that Damon might use her to either get him back or kill him. She was loyal to Damon, and he was certain that she had given his letter to him by now.

The gate opened in front of him, and a voice spoke from the speaker phone. "Come in."

Lucas began to step in, but heard his name from a distance. Turning his head, he watched Alanna run up the side walk with his letter in her hand.

"Alanna, what are you… go home." He snapped.

Coming to stop in front of him, he could see that she had been crying. "Lucas, don't do this. Don't betray us. After all of what Damon has done for you. I understand why you originally came to us, but didn't you see the truth?"

He shook his head, "Damon believes all vampires are evil, but the Halloweds were created to protect us from the rest. I know this to be true, because I know many Halloweds, and one who even protected my father from Damon."

Alanna wiped the tears from her face. "Please, Lucas, please. I love you." Her eyes wandered to the mansion. "Is this it? Is this the place that houses the demons that have enchanted you to their lies."

Lucas grabbed her upper arms, "Alanna, unless you want him to die, you will not speak to Damon of this house. Do you understand me?" He shook her once, and she nodded. "Now, go home."

Giving her a quick hug, he stepped into the yard and began walking towards the mansion. Alanna ran up beside him and took his hand.

He looked down at her, and scowled, "No, you can't come."

"I can and I am. There is nothing you can do or say that will stop me." She held his hand tight as he tried to pull it away. "I trust you, and if you believe these vampires are your friends, then I'll believe it too. But I promise you that when we enter they will kill me. Just watch!"

Lucas dropped his hand and looked to the ground, "Fine, Alanna. Perhaps, I can convince Tzion that it will be alright. He was only expecting me."

He began walking towards the door, but Alanna stopped him. "You are actually going to take me in there to my death."

"No death awaits you, so there is really nothing for me to fear." He looked up at the house, and saw Kristian waiting at the door.

When they got to him, Kristian frowned at Alanna. "Lord Tzion will not be pleased by this, Lucas."

He nodded, "I know, but he should respect the bonds of marriage."

Kristian grinned, "Alright, it's your funeral." He stepped aside and let them both enter, and noticed Alanna tightly squeezing Lucas' hand because of his words.

They made their way to Tzion's study, and he glared at Alanna the moment she entered. "I am certain I asked for your presence and no one else's."

Lucas sighed and looked down at Alanna, "She is my wife, if you want me here then she has to come along as well."

Tzion kept his deep frown as he stared at Alanna, "Of course, I was married once myself. However, I learned that sometimes marriage can stop you from becoming what you need to be."

"And sometimes it makes you what you need to be." Lucas retorted.

Tzion's eyes turned to Lucas, and he grinned. "Fair enough. Kristian take them to their new room. Oh, and Alanna isn't allowed to leave the property until we are certain she is trustworthy."

Alanna was about to object, but Lucas shook his head at her. He understood why Tzion needed to do this, and he wasn't entirely sure that she had just betrayed Damon for him either. There had to be another reason behind all this.

Stepping into their room, Kristian looked at the baggage that Lucas was carrying. Alanna had none. "I am guessing that this wasn't planned." He pointed at her.

Lucas shook his head, "No."

"Akela has some old clothing that she can borrow until such time that Alanna can go shopping. Of course, they are just dresses."

"That will be fine." Alanna said, she was wearing the cult robe.

"I'll bring the sowing kit as well, she is a bit smaller then you. Can you use a sewing machine?" Kristian asked her.

Alanna nodded.

"Alright, when you are ready I can show you to the sewing room. Akela makes all her own clothing and has many fabrics. She doesn't like the clothing of the modern day." He was rambling, but just trying to be friendly.

"Thank you… uh, what is your name?" Alanna asked.

"I am Kristian."

"Is Akela that man's wife?" She asked.

"Tzion's? No, his wife died a very long time ago." Kristian placed his hand on the door knob, "I'll ask Akela what fabrics you can use and get some old clothing for now. I am sure Tzion will not be pleased with what you are wearing."

"Thanks, Kristian." Lucas said as he shut the door behind him. He looked at Alanna, "See you're still alive. Want to go home now?"

Alanna shook her head.

---***---
"She's gone!" Gabrielle's horrified scream filled the house. She had gone up to Kailin's room to wake her, but her room was empty. The bed was unmade and the window was open with the curtains flapping in the cold winter breeze.

Mathias ran up the stairs, and looked into the room. Running over to the window, he looked outside into the backyard. There was nothing, he knew where she was. The scent of Akela was still in the air.

Running out the door, he prayed that it hadn't begun yet. When he arrived at the mansion, he tried to remove Kristian's head for telling Tzion were she was. After a week, he thought that Kristian had left it alone so that Kailin could think. But he knew she was here now, and that Kristian had betrayed them. He swore that he hadn't told, but Mathias knew better.

The fresh took him to the room, where Kailin was being held. Tzion sat in a chair next to the fireplace, and Kailin laid on the bed. Her body still, but her face contorted to looks of fear and hate. She was asleep, and he knew that he had been to late.

Standing up, Tzion frowned, "Kristian, I thought I told you that Kailin would not be accepting visitors." He looked back at Mathias, and noticed the scab formation across his face. The bandages were gone.

"She was already having trouble with her soul, Tzion! How could you do this? Are you bent on destroying the world?" Mathias yelled.

Tzion looked at Kailin laying on the bed, "She is acting as to be expected. I knew her aura is strong enough or else I wouldn't of pushed so hard."
Kailin made a noise, and both men stared at her.

"At least, you will be here when she awakes. I am sure that will please her, and she will be more reasonable, because you will be. Right, Mathias?"

He was angry if the bond of master and peon hadn't been between them, Mathias would of tried to destroy him then and there. He simply nodded, he knew that Tzion could get him to leave if he desired.

"Do not look at me with such hatred, Mathias. In time you will see that I was right, I am always right."

Mathias walked to Kailin's bedside, and kneeled down beside her to take her hand. Looking over her face, he could see that battle within. Her soul and aura fighting against each other. Auras controlled the very essence of who the person was, but only if they were stronger then their soul. Every soul and aura had to be opposites, and most creatures carried a positive aura and a negative soul. Yet, there was a select few that were opposites. Sometimes, one couldn't even tell the difference. Such was the case of Leila, Kailin's sister. Leila had a negative aura, but a positive soul. As a human her soul over powered her aura, and thus making her a kind person. Yet, when she was turned, her new soul wasn't powerful enough to control the aura, as it is with most new demonic souls.

The only reason that Leila had allowed Kailin to kill her long ago, was that Leila's aura though negative had grown tired. It was not use to controlling the body, and had worked past it's means. The soul had taken over for long moments, while the aura rested. Leila died when something other then herself had control of her body.

Leila was a rare occurrence, and Kailin had been born with a positive aura. The blood of the elders powered her soul, and her aura was unable to grow enough to keep control. Mathias knew that when she awoke it might not be the Kailin he had known. He wondered what they could possibly do to restrain her while her aura tried. It could take hundreds of years before her aura could catch up with the power the soul had collected.

Mathias glared back at Tzion, "You fool."

His master was caught of guard with his words, dropping his jaw he looked into Mathias' fierce eyes.

"What have you done?"

Kailin's eyes began to flutter open.

Tzion smiled, "See she's fine."

With a quick swipe of her hand, Mathias stumbled back holding his neck. Blood gushed out from the clean wound that she had inflicted. Turning to Tzion, she jumped upon him and bit deeply into his shoulder. Ripping away the cloth and flesh, she drank down as much blood as she could.

Tzion fell unconscious, and Kailin stood up. Her eyes wandered to Kristian, who looked on from the doorway in horror. She went to attack, but was shoved away with great force. Her body landed against the wall, causing the three paintings to crash to the ground with her. She looked up at Khaldun standing in front of Kristian now, a large war hammer in his hands.

Kailin stood up, she began to speak. Her voice was deep, and demonic. Sounding more like a Mephis then human. "Your lives and power all shall be mine." She hissed, and then jumped out the window into the darkness of night.

---***---
Gabrielle and the others ran up to the mansion, they stopped when they heard the sound of glass breaking. All eyes went immediately to Kailin's form leaping out of the window, and landing on her feet. She began to run towards them, and knocked Lycorisa down as she blew past.

"Kailin!" Gabrielle yelled, but she would not stop.

Mathias jumped down from the window and began after Kailin.

"What's going on?" Gabrielle asked him as he ran away, but he gave no answer.

Khaldun followed behind him. Once Lycorisa and Jareth realized what was happening, they started after their leader. Lycorisa told Gabrielle to stay where she was.

Looking up at the mansion, Gabrielle tried to decide what she was going to do. Kristian came to stand beside her, for a moment she was going to object him coming anywhere near her. The thought that he might be useful as information set in.

"What's happening?" She asked.

"Exactly what Mathias said would happen." Kristian snapped as if he had been saying the same thing. "Her aura couldn't take all the power that the soul had been given, and now she is nothing more then her demonic soul."

Tzion stumbled out through the doorway, holding the wound on his shoulder. Kristian had offered him some blood to bring him strength, but the wound on his shoulder wouldn't close. The only way this was possible was if he were a fresh and Kailin had been the elder.

"Did they go after her?" He asked, as he slid down the stairs holding onto the railing.

Kristian went to his side to help him stand, "Yes."

"Hurry after them, this is no ordinary soul we are dealing with."

"What do you mean?" Kristian asked, helping Tzion sit down on the steps.

He shook his head, still pressing on the wound on his shoulder. "Not just any demonic soul would do to create the mother of a new breed. This soul was already extremely powerful. We need to get her into the cathedral, where her aura can gain control again."

Kristian nodded, and turned to Gabrielle, but she was already gone. Lucas ran out the door and looked up at the broken window, he gave a questioning look to Kristian. He hadn't even noticed Tzion's wound.

"Come with me, Lucas. We might need you."

"Huh?" Lucas asked, but Kristian never answered only began to pull him along beside him. Tzion searched his mind for Akela, and when he found her, he gave her orders to follow them. She might be the only one able to over power the demon that had taken control of Kailin's body.

---***---
In the darkness of the park, they were certain they would find Kailin. Already they had stepped over bodies that had been torn apart and left to rot. The winter's wind had blown the scent of blood towards them. Upon entering the park, they all knew that they would not be facing just a fresh hallowed. This would be a new experience for all involved. Everyone joined together walking through the gates, and most tried to ignore the loud crashing sounds of a nearby fountain.

Akela had appeared moments after them, and began her own search. Mathias was unclear as to why she would go out of her way to help locate Kailin. He knew that Tzion must of ordered her to do so, and by that he was admitting to a strength he hadn't foreseen. In battle, Akela was next to worthless, and yet a weapon of immense power if used correctly. Perhaps that was why she had been sent with them. Tzion thought she might be able to control Kailin long enough to get her back.

The sound of bones crushing entered his ears, and he found himself standing behind Kailin. He realized then that his near perfect night sight had been darkened, something only the most powerful of elders could do. He squinted his eyes trying to get a clear view of what Kailin was doing. She was kneeled over, chewing on the flesh on a rather large man. The smell of his rotting flesh already bothered Mathias' nose, though the human had just died recently. Akela was close behind and stopped beside him, her eyes widened when she realized what Kailin was doing.

Akela stepped back causing Kailin to turn her head, she glared at her out of the corner of her eye. Standing up, she turned to face Mathias and Akela, blood dripped down her mouth and onto her shirt. Her hair was bloodstained and clumps fell into her face and eyes. Her blue jeans and bare feet also had blood on them showing them the intensity of her kills.

"Over here!" Akela yelled, and the sounds of the others footsteps were heard approaching.

They stopped behind Akela, and stared at the form that knew was their friend. Kailin's eyes didn't waiver away from Akela, she knew exactly who her threat was.

"Kailin, let's go back to the mansion. I know you are confused right now, but…" Akela began.

"Kailin is no more." The dark voice said, it was strange to hear such a voice come from her lips.

"Then who am I speaking to?" Akela asked, before Mathias could intervene.

"I am Marekio, demon of the damned. For many lifetimes I have been trapped within this body, unable to escape. Your master's gluttony has allowed my escape from the aura that has kept me prisoner for so long."

Akela swallowed, she already knew who was in control of Kailin's body. Marekio was the most sadistic of demons, long ago he went against his evil master. Creating a war within the boundaries of Hell that lasted centuries. In the end, the Ultimate Evil showed him mercy, and cast out into the body of a mortal as punishment. It was then that Kailin's lives began, and within each life she was created into a vampire, and killed by Mathias. Except this time, but Akela was aware that this life wasn't over and anything was possible when it came to his betrayal.

"I have thrown this human's aura from my body, she is no more." Marekio laughed.

Mathias shook his head, "I do not believe you, demon. Kailin is stronger then that, you could never defeat her so easily."

Marekio glared at Mathias for a moment, "She wages war within, but it is not a battle that can be fought. What little remains is to weak, and will soon join her human soul."

"What is it that you want?" Akela asked, folding her arms.

"I shall drain you all, and then seek to retake my rightful place." Her hand flew up as if grasping for a neck, and she raced towards Akela.

Gabrielle jumped in front of the elder, and was immediately knocked aside. Her body flew several feet before landing with a loud thud. Blood from her head drizzled onto the ground staining the grass beneath her, but her heart remained intact. Kristian ran to her side and kneeled down, lifting her head up in his hands.

Marekio hissed at her and began another attack this time purposely directed at Gabrielle, and with Kristian's back to the demon, he too would become a victim. Yet, Marekio's attention had been removed from Akela, she took the opportunity to quickly enter into the mind of the beast. Searching the pathways of her mind to find a way to stop the demon or pull Kailin out for a time. Instead, she found a way to take control, and Marekio fell to the ground inches away from Gabrielle.

Mathias seemed unimpressed and walked over to Kailin's form, there was no movement. Before he lifted her up, he hesitated afraid that perhaps Marekio was tricking him into coming close enough. Kristian lifted Gabrielle into his arms, she too had fallen into the oblivious darkness. Mathias sighed and put his arms under Kailin's body, lifting her up close to him.

Turning around Mathias looked at Akela with Kailin in his arms. "Stay close, I don't want her waking up when I am vulnerable like this."
Akela grinned.

"No games, Akela. We must get her to Tzion's immediately."
The grin faded, and she gave a nod. She would of gladly allowed Kailin to wake and tear the blasphemous vampire apart. However, if Kailin escaped she knew the wrath that Tzion would bestow upon her.

Inside the cathedral, Mathias placed her upon the alter where she had not long ago occupied. Gabrielle couldn't enter the cathedral, though she had awaken during their return. She was taken up to Kristian's room to lay down for a time.

Enraged by what had occurred, Mathias immediately ran into the mansion to demand Tzion find a way to stop this. Leaving Akela to care for Kailin, while Lycorisa and Jareth took their places outside the cathedral door. They were forbidden by Mathias to be around Akela without his presence. Though they both hated to be ordered about, they knew they had lost some of his trust. Willingly they accepted whatever punishment he set before them, knowing it would be the only way to gain back what they had lost.

It never bothered Akela, and at the moment she had more important things on her mind. She replayed the moment she entered Marekio's mind over in her head. She could of sworn she heard Kailin's voice begging her to stop him from hurting Gabrielle. Before the attack she had tried to enter inside, and was blocked out. The moments up until his attack, there was no entrance inside, and then there was. Had Kailin opened a door that she could not see during her search? If so, then Marekio was mistaken when he told her that Kailin was all but banished from the body. In order to do such a thing, she had to be in some control over the mind.

Akela wondered if she should tell Mathias about the experience. Her hatred for him told her to allow him to worry about the events without her assistance. Her desire to help Kailin so that the Mephis wouldn't succeed begged her to tell him. Her head turned when she heard the cathedral doors open and watched Mathias walked towards her.

"Where is he?" Mathias ordered the answer with his tone.

She turned to face him, "I would not know. I have been away from him longer then you have."

Mathias looked at Akela for a moment, deciding as to believe her or not. He gave a nod, and came to stand next to the alter with her. "Has she moved?"

Akela shook her head, "When she does awake the cathedral should keep Marekio from over powering her."

He nodded.

"She's still very much there, Mathias." Akela mumbled the words, but Mathias heard her.

"You think so?"

Akela turned her head to look at him, she bit her inner cheek still trying to decide. "Yes, I believe… I believe that she opened a path for me, so I could control her body."

"At the park?" Mathias asked, unsure why Akela would be explaining this to him.

She gave a swift nod, "I'm going to see if I can locate Tzion, he needs to be updated on the matters at hand."

Heading down the stone steps, the cathedral doors squeaked loudly as they opened slowly ahead of her. Lycorisa had sensed her coming presence and had opened them. Akela said nothing to her as she left the cathedral and headed towards the mansion.