Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 28

Mathias spent the next week in the library trying to find a way to help Kailin in her battle. None of the vampires wanted to visit Kailin anymore, standing next to her one could feel her aura growing weaker by the moment. There was now a sharp fear that could be sensed when they came into the room, it was as if Kailin was crying out for help. He knew he had to find a way to strengthen her. Lycorisa soon began to help him search for answers in the mansion. There were so many tomes and scrolls that had been written, and it would be impossible for him to find the answer alone.

Lycorisa welcomed the opportunity when he had asked her for help, she welcomed the chance to be alone with him. Jareth had been ordered to keep close to Kailin, and report to them immediately if anything occurred. She had thanked him for allowing her some time without Jareth, but Mathias was well aware of what she truly found happiness in. Many years before Kailin was born, she had told him of her true feelings. He had denied her, of course, but Lycorisa did not seem to mind. Her eyes still told him of her wants, even though he continued to ignore them.

Mathias had always been considered cold and heartless by the vampires around him. His only wish was to watch and care for Kailin. It wasn't until Kailin accidently stumbled into a battle between him and the Mephis did he realize that he cared. It was more then just the prophecies that he worried about, he truly wanted her to be safe. Lycorisa shoved a book in front of his face to show him an excerpt from the book she was looking at, but he simply shook his head to her. Taking the book away, she began to search the book again. She had shown him several passages already, and none were even close to beginning what they needed. He was beginning to wonder if she was even truly looking or just in it to be in here with him.

The door from the hallways slowly opened up and both of their eyes flew to it waiting to find who it would reveal. Tzion stood in the doorway with his arms crossed and his eyes glaring at them. Stepping into the room, he waved Lycorisa out. She understood that he was not to be argued with in those moments, and left the room immediately. Taking the chair that Lycorisa had been sitting in, Tzion pulled it further away from the table and sat down to look at his former peon.

"What are you upset about?" Mathias asked, looking at his master who looked disheveled. His hair was unbrushed and his clothes were the same he had seen him in for days before.

"I think I have made a terrible mistake."

"You only think?"

He scowled at him, and still glaring. "I think you should be killed for your betrayal in keeping him alive."

Closing his book, he looked slowly up at the Elder, "Tzion, there are more important matters at hand then Nathaniel still being alive. If she loses we lose everything, what I did two hundred years ago isn't relevant anymore. What is going to happen in the next few months is."

Tzion stood up and stared down at him, "Of all of us, I would think you would be the most likely one to wish his sudden exit from this world."

"And why would I wish harm on him?"

He grinned, "Don't play coy with me, Mathias. I have known you far too long, and I have seen your sudden change."

"There has been no sudden change in me. Perhaps it is you that has changed."

Tzion chuckled, "Have it your way, then."

With that he left the room, Mathias was uncertain as to why he had come to harass him to begin with. What was he gaining by arguing with him about Nathaniel, perhaps it was information that he was seeking. Tzion wasn't one to start meaningless conversations. Mathias sighed, he needed to get Nathaniel to leave the mansion. He didn't think it would be safe for him to remain here any longer, something was being planned, of that he was certain.

---***---
Hallways, no rooms, no exits, just hallways. Every time she opened a door another hallway with a hundred more doors would appear. She didn't know where she was, who she was, or what was chasing her, all she knew was she had to run. She wore a white dress, that had been torn to almost nothing but a rag. All she ever remembered was wearing that dress.

She opened a door slightly to peer down the hallway, a door near by opened. It was the beast, so she shut the door and ran down the hallway to pick another door. The few glances she got of the beast revealed it to be a large creature with long fangs and dark red skin. His huge black eyes hide where he was looking, and his long arms with their razor sharp claws scratched down the hallway.

She had guessed he was marking the halls he had already been in. Unsure if to whether the creature was looking for her or looking for a way out she kept her distance. Hoping and praying that someone would save her from this nightmare. That was it, this had to be a nightmare. All this couldn't possibly be real, how could she not know anything. Her own name was a mystery, how she got here seemed to question her more. At times the beast would catch wind of her smell, and call out to her. His voice was so scratchy and so far off that she couldn't make it out.

What if this beast was here to help her, here to save her from these eternal hallways? Her hand chose another door, she preyed for the exit, and instead found another hallway, beckoning to her. Stepping in she shut the door behind her, just a long black hallways with metal doors stood before her. She was trapped, she was scared, and worst of all the beast's voice grew louder.

---***---
Mathias stood in the doorway staring across the room at his friend. Nathaniel had sat next to Kailin's bedside the past two weeks. His head bowed, and her hand in his own. Whenever Kailin twitched her eyes or curled her lips, his eyes would shoot up to see if she was awaking. Mathias had begun to wonder why he had forced the man to survive, fate would correct itself, wouldn't it? It couldn't possibly allow him to live, when that would mean changing everything that had been written since the dawn of prophets. His love for his friend told him his thoughts were wrong, but he knew back then as he did now that Nathaniel was not suppose to be here.

Sometimes attempting to change fate only makes the road harder to travel. Tzion tried to speed up Kailin's aging, and here she was suffering for his mistake. Everyone watching her every convulsion and listening to her every moan, waiting for what would emerge when her eyes opened. Would their hero or their enemy look upon them? The cool calm eyes of their dear friend or the red blood shot eyes of an all too powerful demon?

From the looks around the room, and everyone who dropped their eyes upon the woman in the bed, Mathias knew he wasn't the only one who thought like this. Akela had given Nathaniel sharp looks every time she entered the room. He feared for his friends safety and asked him never to be alone, Akela had been known to kill other Hallowed when she felt they were not necessary. He could feel if the right opportunity came she would destroy him, Mathias was unsure as to how he felt about that. Once again it was a battle between heart and mind, they fought every waking hour and each moment he slept. Sleep was almost a thing of the past for him, at least awake he could try to stop the battle, forget about what was taking place. But asleep he could not stop the nightmares, he had no choice but to watch his greatest fear play over and over in his subconscious.

Kailin gave a slight twitch, which caused those in the room to stand up right for a moment, waiting to see if the eyes of truth would reveal themselves. They stay shut to everyone's delight and disappointment. What is going on in there? He kept asking himself. Was she winning or loosing? Was she even fighting? Who was she in her own mind? Everyone put on a false face for others, but deep in their minds they were different. So, who was Kailin? He had watched her from afar all her life, and thought he knew her well. Then they met and she wasn't at all like he had expected her to be.

"Gabrielle would know." Kristian said as he walked up beside the large man.

He looked down at the young vampire. His eyes were filled with anger not because Kristian had read his mind, instead because he had lowered his defenses enough that the young peon could. In a house where Akela was so close, one should never allow their minds to be open. "Gabrielle would know what?" He said trying to act like he didn't know what Kristian was talking about.

Kristian grinned, and then looked ashamed, he knew he shouldn't of spoke to the elder about his stolen thoughts. It was too late however, and he had to continue forward. "Who Kailin is in her subconscious, Gabrielle knew everything about her." He looked to the floor seeming to blink back his tears.

"She is no longer part of this earth. What she knew has gone with her, and we can not take what no longer exists." Mathias turned in the door way, leaning on it with his shoulder with his back to Kristian.

Kristian stared at his back for some time, before he turned to leave. Mathias had no idea what to say to the broken hearted fresh. He had never gotten the chance to know her, all he knew was the brief moments he met her, and what was said in the files. After meeting Kailin he knew that the files were deceiving.

Nathaniel stood from the bedside, he kissed her knuckles then lowered her hand next to her body. Time had come for him to leave her bedside, and feed himself. He looked at Mathias, telling him in his own way to watch over her. Khaldun hunted with Nathaniel as a favor to him, making sure that he was safe from Akela and whatever it was she had planned.

He had often thought of way to get rid of Akela, she had been enough trouble for everyone. Yet, they needed her to continue to try entering Kailin's mind. She attempted to find a way through the mind block that had been put up by Kailin's own will. Akela had hinted that it was too strong for her to surpass, and they had wondered how that could be. Kailin wasn't strong enough to block the elder, but Mathias had several guesses. The block was either put up by Eva so that Akela wouldn't be able to enter her mind, or Akela was purposefully not trying in hope she could prolong Kailin's awaken until after Nathaniel had fallen. She just didn't understand the importance of knowing what was occurring within that mind. If they could just see into her mind and find what was taking place, then they might be able to help her. He gave one last sigh as he looked around the room, then upon her. It was time to return to the library and see if he could discover a way to help both Kailin and Akela.

---***---
Nathaniel walked down the halls after returning from his meal, Akela's words stayed in his mind. He wondered if she spoke the truth, nothing had been hurt because he survived had it? If he wasn't the lover that the prophecies spoke of, then who was? He shook the thought from his mind, now was not the time to think about such things. Kailin was fighting a battle alone, and Mathias thought Akela was plotting to kill him. He was beginning to wish he hadn't come out after Kailin's death. He couldn't take the strain of what was happening to both himself and Kailin, but most of all he couldn't take the silence.

It seemed no one spoke to each other any longer, all lips stayed sealed waiting on the battle being fought. None able to help or control what was happening, it made everyone feel so weak. He wanted nothing more then to scream at the top of his lungs, maybe cause the others to at least talk. If it didn't his aggression would at least be set free, the silence was to much. Everyone gave their glances and with each one that he looked upon, he saw it. A little spark of hope beginning to fade. Hope what was keeping everyone going, it was keeping Kailin alive, and yet here it was fading from the very eyes that had held onto it for so long.

He found himself at the fountain in the garden quite often, holding back fierce tears. He wished he had spoken how he really felt to her before this happened. Every passing day made him believe that he would never be able to speak to her again. Or was she gone already? She wasn't Caitlyn any longer, that he had come to realize. It was Kailin who lived within Caitlyn's heart and mind now. He knew this was the brutal truth that he had to accept in order to move on in his life with or without her.

The library door appeared before him and he entered finding Mathias at a table looking at a rather large book. His friend had been trying so hard to find a way to reach Kailin to give her hope or help, anything that might be able to finish this battle. Mathias had never seemed to be the one who held emotions for anyone, and he often forgot that his friend did in fact carry the burden and blame. Mathias, however, knew when he had gone down the wrong path, he would do whatever was necessary to find the right one again. And so he sat at the table reading book after book trying to find anything that Tzion may have missed.

Tzion had told him that there was nothing in the library, the files, or the prophecies that held any information on how to help in this battle. But he gave Mathias his permission to look anyway, he told Nathaniel that Tzion only thought he knew the books inside and out. However, Tzion thought he knew the prophecies with all that he was, but they proved wrong. He had interpreted them incorrectly, another mistake Kailin paid the price for.

Mathias looked up at his friend and gave a half grin, "Still nothing, my eyes hurt from reading and my head swims with all this jumble. Some of this books date back so far, that I don't understand the language in them. The Latin ones I can at least read, but I don't know what some of this stuff is." He was joking, only because he saw the look of dread on Nathaniel's face.

"She will make it, she is too strong and survived too long to be taken down by just this." Nathaniel took a sit across from his friend. "I need to ask you something, and I need you to be truthful to me."

The look Nathaniel gave him made him rather uneasy, but he gave a slight nod, "Of course."

"You were part of the blood exchange, weren't you?"

His dark eyes shot down trying to not to look at his friend, "You know I was, Nathaniel."

"How could you do that to me, Mathias? She is my wife, we are suppose to be friends." Anger arose in him and he stood up beginning to pace back and forth.

"Tzion has this special ability to convince people he speaks the truth. He used this on both Kailin and myself, I tried to stop him from continuing, but I fear I am weak compared to him." He looked at his friend who still seemed enraged.

"Do you love her?"

He shook his head, "I feel a strong bond to her, like all that did the blood exchange. It is not love though, do not worry I know she is your wife."

He gave an uncertain look, "Everyone looks at her so oddly, whatever it is you feel towards her I don't like it. When this is all over…."

"Milord Mathias." A voice came from the door, it was one of Tzion's servants.

"Yes?"

He stepped into the doorway slightly, "Lord Tzion is asking for all elders in the dining room."

"Did he say why?"

He shook his head, "Only that it was urgent and for everyone to drop what they are doing."

"I will be there in a moment." He stood from his position and looked at Nathaniel, "We will have to finish this conversation at another time. Please know I would never do anything to hurt you. I know my feelings towards Kailin are false, and that will stop me from anything that happens. I do not love her."

---***---
Mathias made his way down the hallway, his curiosity as to why Tzion was holding a meeting had gotten the better of him. However, his mind drifted to Nathaniel, he worried about something that would never be. Mathias wasn't the one she would share her love with, and he didn't understand why Nathaniel thought out of all the Elders it would be him. He would explain everything to Nathaniel later after he had time to calm down.

The servant who had come to fetch him stood in front of the door to the dinning hall. He opened it for Mathias then shut it rather quickly behind him. All the elders stood around the table, their faces were all dim. None one seemed to wanted to say a word, and some hadn't since Kailin fell into this sleep. He sighed as he looked around the room, he had been to funerals that had more cheer then this meeting. He took his place next to Khaldun and waited for Tzion to begin. However, Tzion was not the one to speak it was Akela who addressed them.

"Time is coming for the prophecies to begin, everyone's paths are set ahead of them. When this creature opens it's eyes it will be either Kailin or Marekio. If it is Marekio we will be prepared to slay it immediately." She looked down at the table for a moment then up to Tzion, "If it is Kailin, some of us will find a future," her eyes changed to Mathias, "and some of us will betray us all."

He looked away from the staring eyes, he knew he would be the one to betray Kailin in the end. No one knew how but his death would lead to the end of this war. They dared not kill him now as they knew how changing fate would react. He also knew that it wasn't clear that it was him exactly as did everyone else. Killing him may mean killing another champion like Gabrielle was said to be in the prophecies, he wondered who would take her place.

Everyone had reason in the room to betray Kailin, and therefore he didn't run and try to hide to stop himself from being the traitor. Everyone though felt strongly it would be him, including his closest friend, Khaldun.

Akela continued, "One of us will cause havoc and mayhem someone in this very room, will try to destroy Kailin. This person may very well succeed in either killing or turning her. Either way the Mephis will win this war and take over the earth."

She was hiding something from everyone, Mathias could feel it in her words and just by sensing her presence. Attempting to read her mind would cause no good, as she could tell who was doing so then block them or cause them pain, since one had to open their minds to other to read thoughts. But he knew there was something hidden deep within her, and he would soon discover this.

He wondered about the importance of this meeting, it seemed it was called to explain what everyone already knew about the prophecies.

"With that said, I believe Nathaniel should be slain." Akela answered his question, "I also believe it should be Mathias who should finish what he began."

"I will do no such thing!" He snapped. "The ancients said he could be a known vampire, he has the right to be just like the rest of us."

She laughed, "He didn't have to right to be when he was mortal, and especially not as a vampire. The only reason he had the right to step forward was because we all thought Kailin was dead. She is alive, and he will only cause problems. The road ahead of us is difficult enough without him."

"What has he done thus far that would make any of us think that?" He shot his eyes around the room waiting for an answer.

"It's not about what he has done it's what he will do. We all have learned that you can't try to change fate, he was suppose to die."

He shook his head, "The prophecies are at best hazy, we are only guessing as to what they are saying. Everything we thought would happen has played out completely the opposite way. I don't believe it was his life that was meant to end but his love." He looked upon Tzion.

"I agree with Mathias, at the time it was easy for us to rid Nathaniel from Kailin's life. Mathias did just that, and though Nathaniel may still long for her, I doubt she feels the same." Tzion announced.

"We can't kill him until we know for sure that he will cause us difficulty." Lycorisa agreed.

Everyone in the room agreed with Mathias, he glared over at Akela waiting for her response.

"Fine, but when he causes everything to fall and we are all being slaughtered by the Mephis, just know this was your choice." She dramatically stomped her feet against the ground as she walked towards the exit. When she opened the door, she knocked the peon who was guarding the door down, and continued down the hall.
Mathias looked at the others, "She will kill him when she gets the chance, everyone keep your eyes firmly on Nathaniel."

They all agreed, and he left them to talk among themselves. He was too frustrated to speak anymore then he had to with the other elders. Everywhere he went to hide he would find distractions, he couldn't think or study anymore. He wanted to be left alone, and could think of only one place where he could go, where they would understand the conception of leaving someone alone.

---***---
The Ancient's Temple was empty and not a sound echoed through the hallways. He walked up the steps to the alter, he gently drew his fingers over the outline of where Kailin's dying form had burnt the marble alter. He was slightly afraid of it at first, but then he placed both his palms down on it and ran his hands over it's surface. He stared at it intently trying to remember something, anything from what he had read to help Kailin. He knew there was nothing. Since he had met Kailin face to face, nothing seemed to make much sense. It wasn't until he talked to her about it, did he feel comfort in not knowing. He remembered their talk in his room, and how he had almost kissed her. Looking into her eyes, he knew she would of allowed him to, but Nathaniel's face came to his mind. They were friends and he couldn't do anything to hurt him. Laying himself down on the alter, he closed his eyes. It was strange that he found comfort in the same spot that he had found overwhelming sadness. He continued to think of the books that he had read, trying to find the answer, it had to be there.

"You will find the answer you seek in no book." A feminine voice echoed in his mind.

He propped himself up on his elbows and found Eva, standing beside him. She had made no sound and gave off no sense when she had entered the room. Suddenly, he was embarrassed that she had caught him on the alter, and jumped down from the alter to bow down to her on one knee, his eyes to the floor. She placed her hand on his head, and ran her fingers through his hair.

"Dear, Mathias, only you can I trust." Those words sounded so familiar to him.

"Why me, milady?"

"For only you fight this war for the gain of all others. Your companions have their own purposes, that are nothing less then selfish. They fight for themselves, to gain for themselves, to live for themselves. You fight with no hidden agenda, only to save those who can not save themselves." She kept rubbing his hair, and he never looked from the ground.

"Milady, I am the one who will betray you and Kailin."

"Nonsense, have you seen how badly translated the prophecies have been? No, you are Kailin's savior."

"I don't understand."

"Kailin is not a vampire in her subconscious. She keeps herself human, it's why she is weak, and it's why she will loose this battle with her demon."

"Only Akela has a mind strong enough to find her way into Kailin's. But her block is so strong that Akela can't get past it."

"Akela lies." The words didn't shock him, but Eva's angry tone did. "She is in this only for her own gain, and will not attempt to help anyone until her victory is assured. However, there is another way."

"Another way, milady?"

She gave a slight nod even though he looked at the ground, "The stone, Mathias."

"Milady?"

"I cannot tell you, but look towards your past. Part of your life is missing, your memories are hidden deep within your mind. If you find them, you will find a way to save Kailin. Convince her, Mathias, that she is a vampire not a mere human. Convince her!" Her fingers slowly dragged away from the back of his neck to the top of his head, until they did not touch him anymore. It left a tingling sensation in it's wake, and Mathias reached behind his head to scratch it away as he stood up.

"I do not understand, milady."

She gave a small grin, "Mathias, you are the only one that can save her. You are the only one who knows where the stone is." She began to walk away into the darkness.

"I don't understand, what stone? Why do I know?"

"Look towards the past, it is all I can tell you." Her figure disappeared into the darkness, and he was once again alone.

The conversation had refreshed him, he knew now that the answer was in no book. That it was within him, but where?

"Part of your life is missing..." kept echoing within his mind, and so he began to look over his life, and find that missing piece.