Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 30

Upon his arrival home, Richard came to the stable to take his horse for him. The stable boy had gone to the well for water. The small boy grinned widely at him, and began telling him of his small trip down to the nearby creek. Catching frogs had always been Richard's favorite past time.

Mathias interrupted him when the boy repeated the word frog for the eighth time, "Richard, pack some of my things that I will need on a long journey." He handed the boy the white cloth covered stone, "Put this in my belongings as well." He turned towards the horse for a moment to drop the reigns.

"What is this?" Richard held up the red stone.

He turned to look at the large ruby shaped stone. "It's a weapon of great power that I must hide for eternity. Do not tell anyone that you have seen it, understand? It would be dangerous for both your grandmother and yourself."

Richard gave a nod and a frown, "Are you going away for a while, then?"

Mathias rubbed the little boy's hair. "Where is your grandmother?"

"She is upstairs in her room mending some of your clothing."

"Make sure everything is ready by the time I get back." Mathias ordered before leaving the young vampire in the stable. Entering his manor, there was a stairway to his right which he began up, skipping every other stair. When he came to Madeline's door, he tapped lightly, and she told him to enter.

"Yes?" Madeline asked, as she bit off some string from a pair of his pants. She held them up to look over her handy work, "Good, now try not to rip these again. I do hate seeing them in my mending pile."

Mathias ignored her. "Madeline, I need to see you in my study right away." He had chosen the study because it was the only room in the manor with a lockable door.

"Whatever for?" She questioned as she slowly stood up, placing the pants in her finished pile.
"I'll explain when we get there."

"What is so important that you can't tell me here?" She began searching through the mending pile, trying to decide which she would repair next.

"I do not have time to argue with you, woman. Just come to my study."

She heard the door slam, and turned slowly to see that he had left. With a sigh, she stuck her needle into the bed and hoped she wouldn't forget it was there, least she sit on it.

Heading down the hall, she made it to the end of the stairs where the study door was. She tapped on the door, before entering the room. No matter how hard she tried, the room always smelt of pipe smoke. Mathias sat behind the desk, digging through the drawers. He was not his usual calm self in those moments, which caused Madeline slight panic. She hid it well, as she came to take a seat in front of his desk.

He said nothing, and so Madeline began to look around the room. She would need to dust the book shelves, they were filthy. The rug under his desk needed to be replaced, it had several rips in it. She would also need to put more candelabras in the room, it was far too dark for her liking.

"Madeline," Mathias began, pulling her out of her thoughts, "you have worked for me since you were a little girl, you have moved with me every time I have left a country. I entrust my darkest of secrets to you. You are really the only human I see as my equal and as my friend."

"Milord, have I done something wrong?" She asked, her heart began to speed. It had always been her fear that Mathias would eventually fire her. "If it's about letting Richard wear your hats, I didn't think it would hurt anything. He admires you so much, and…."

"No, Madeline, you have done nothing wrong. I have to leave again."

"We will begin to pack right away." She stood up.

He shook his head, "Please sit back down, and allow me to finish." She sat back down slowly, her heart still throbbing. "I have to leave on my own this time, and you won't see me for a very long time."

She grinned nervously, "I am old, Mathias, a very long time isn't good for me."

His anxiety showed through as he began to tap his index finger on the desk. He tried to think of a way to put this nicely to her, but there was nothing. Only the forward truth would mean anything to her. "Madeline, I have been ordered to turn you."

"Turn me?"

He nodded, "The Ancients, who run my clan of vampires, have ordered me to turn you into one."

He watched her old lips press together, and then swallow, "Why?"

"I have to hide a sacred artifact from an evil breed, and destroy the one who used this artifact. After I kill him, and hide this artifact, I will forget everything about this. I will not remember you or Richard, this part of my life will be gone."

"I still don't understand why you have to turn me, Mathias." Her wrinkled hands were folded atop of her lap, and he could see the fear building in her eyes.

"I have always tried to get you to use your ability to recall others thoughts more often. You thought it was silly of me and that I was just teasing you, but I wasn't. You have a rare gift given by the Higher Being. Most of the time people like you are turned into a vampire, but I refused to let them. I knew how much you wanted a family, and I protected you from those who tried." He picked up a glass of water from his desk that he was drinking from earlier that day, and took a small drink.

"However, I can't protect you when I am gone. The Ancients believe that someday I will need your gift to relocate this artifact. The odds of someone like you being reborn anytime soon is simply not possible. This gift is only given to those who truly deserve it, and not many do." He was rambling and repeating himself, out of nervousness. "If I do not turn you myself, someone else will be sent to do it. Because someday I will return and I will need you to find this lost memory for me. You will have to train yourself until my return to break into my mind, but when…"

She stood up, "I understand, and I am willing to give of myself. This someday you will return is for the chosen one you have told me about, the one who will save all the world from the Devil's greatest creation?"

He nodded, "Most likely."

"Then I will gladly help you to do God's work. I trust you not to lie to me. You have been nothing but good to me, saving me on countless occasions. You taught me things, no woman should ever be taught. I am far more educated then any woman I know, and for this I owe it all to you. If you ask this of me, I know that it is only because you have to."

He stood from his chair and walked over to her, he grabbed her hand, kissing her knuckles, "Madeline, although I will forget you, you will always remain my greatest and truest friend. What you have taught me in the ways of respect and kindness to human kind, I will always carry with me. Because only my mind will forget, my heart will not."

She smiled, "Mathias, before this happens, I want to tell you that I truly regret not allowing you to change me when I was young. I have always been in love with you."

"And I you, dear Madeline." He kissed her cheek and continued his kisses to her neck, then bit down, drawing upon her blood.

She made a small whimper but he held her firmly to his chest, until she could not stand any longer. He lowered her to the ground, as her heart began to slow. Kneeled beside her, he held her hand as she died. Her age had made her body weak, and he wondered if it would be possible for it to accept the change. He did not want to hold her as she died in his arms, the thought was unthinkable, but he continued to hold on. It then began, her screams were so loud they echoed through every room in his home. She twisted and flopped from side to side, blood ran from her mouth and nose. He knew her change would be more painful then most, because of her age. It was the change of souls that made this so painful, having the human soul ripped from the grasp of the aura. The tortured and evil demonic soul stealing the person's essence away from them, as only part of them died, and a new part was reborn. Her screams became louder until she stopped moving all together.

Kissing her forehead, he knew that the change had been successful. He could feel the newly created Hallowed's aura. "Madeline, are you alright?"

Her eyes opened, "Yes, I feel weak."

"It shall pass." He said as he began to lifted her up.

"Grandma?" Richard's voice cried, as he stood in the doorway.

Mathias cursed himself mentally for forgetting to lock the door. The young boy ran towards him and tried to shove Mathias aside, but the large man barely flinched.

"You hurt my grandma!" Richard screamed.

"It's alright, Richard. Grandma is fine." She coughed, before her eyes went to Mathias. "Go now, I shall be fine."
Mathias gave a nod and kissed her forehead again, "Goodbye, Madeline."

The sun was just setting as he rode away, watching his home disappear over the horizon. It wasn't the first time that he had to give up everything and it wouldn't be the last. He was a vampire, something he chose to be many years ago. He knew that this was the way of life for one. As he began his journey to Greece, where he knew Mihail was, the same imaged appeared in his mind, both Madeline and Richard being changed into the evil undead that he was. There was guilt and hatred for himself burning within his soul. He knew then that he was a monster, and it would be the only thing he would think of himself as from that day onward.

No one would be allowed to love or care for him ever again, because he wouldn't allow it. Madeline had, and now her and her grandson were paying the price for it. The only glimpse of hope he had was that someday soon, he would forget all this. He would not remember that he had turned an old woman and her young grandson. He would live his life without the memory, but the sorrow would never leave his heart. He hoped that he would never have to return and find the truth out about what he had done.

---***---
It took almost three months to get to Greece, he left the English shore by boat and arrived in France. He could of taken the boat all the way to Greece, but he did hate the open water. He felt safer riding the rest of the way then sailing. When he arrived two Halloweds had been sent to greet him, they would be his companions and guides in finding Mihail, and from there he would be alone when it came to hiding the stone. Risto and Baris they had called themselves. Both had come from direct orders of the Ancients. They had been following Mihail for almost a year, and the third of their party still waited in Greece. Keeping an ever watchful eye on the powerful Bowery.

They explained that the reason they hadn't been sent to kill Mihail themselves, was they were all three fresh vampires. Neither felt older then three hundred years to Mathias. They traveled for several months, dealing with several bowery attacks that left Baris' right arm burned badly. However, Mathias did not allow them to stop so that the fresh could heal, and told them that he would heal with time. When they arrived in Greece, they made their way to a large circular building. He was told this was where Mihail enjoyed spending his evenings, it apparently was where many feedings of both human and vampire were held.

Their first task, now that they were finally within the great city, was to find the fourth member of their party. It would not be an easy task, and they moved everyday to a different hiding area, so that Mihail could never attack them. His companions explained that with the stolen power, the Bowery had been able to discover that Halloweds were after him. They had already lost a companion to the Bowery, and Mathias could see the hate burn in their eyes when they spoke of it.

They had a rather odd system of narrowing down the places he could be hiding. There were three human merchants in the area, and each were told a different location. Only one location was correct, and none of the merchants new about the other's involvement. All three places had to be checked, which was the difficult part, but it was worth the extra time spent for obvious safety reasons. And as luck would have it, the first place they checked held the fourth and final companion.

Giorgos was a native of Greece, and his knowledge of the area was vast. Mathias realized why he had been left behind, if anyone could escape the attack of the Bowery alone, it would be him. He knew every inch of road, and every alley.

Unlike Halloweds, Bowery hunt and live in packs for a few reasons, but mostly to protect themselves from the stronger vampires. Although a Hallowed could fight and win a battle with one or two Bowery, the odds of a Hallowed fighting a winning against six or more Bowery was doubtful. Which was why the three Hallowed lived together, they were all fresh so being near each other had to be nauseating. Now that Mathias was here he could calm the urge for them to flee from each other.

Giorgos pulled out a map which he had drawn himself, showing Mihail's nightly routine around the city.
"Mihail is normally never alone, his horde keeps close enough to hear each other at all times. Except when he feeds, he likes to be away from all ears and eyes. He enjoys teasing and torturing his prey, normally a female." Giorgos explained, "He takes her far out of hearing distance, so the others can not hear her cries or smell the blood. He doesn't like to share with them." His finger slid along the map from the feeding grounds to a far off alley just east of it.

"Why does he torture them?" Mathias questioned.

He shrugged, "No other Bowery seems to do that, they just kill and move on. There is something about him, something that is completely different then most Bowery. He seems more intelligent, and I think he can read thoughts."

"Why do you say that?" Mathias looked down at the map, tracing over the area with his own finger.

"There is no way possible that he could know that we are stalking him at night, but he has bowery looking for us the moment he steps out into the city. Whenever one of us gets close enough to him, he'll look right up at us, doesn't even look around, just directly at us."

"That doesn't mean he can read your thoughts."

Giorgos looked down at the map, "I know, milord, but call it a hunch."

"I won't be risking my life on your hunches, Giorgos." Mathias snapped.

They had no idea about the stone or about the knowledge and abilities Mihail had stolen from the ancients. Only that Mihail was obviously a very powerful Bowery for unknown reasons. Therefore, he would not indulge them in any theories as to why the Bowery would be capable of such things. All he knew was he had to kill Mihail before he hid the stone, if he could read his thoughts then he would be able to discover the location of the stone, and keep using it on all vampires to further his 'education.'

It was more then stealing just thoughts it was stealing abilities and knowledge far too powerful for most to have. The Ancients were old, and with this age came the wisdom in using their powers that time had granted them with great care and skill. Mihail with these powers was nothing but a destructive force. He didn't have the wisdom needed to control the powers he came to own.

If Mihail had the power to read thoughts then what other powers did he have. He had obviously taken to the Pyrrhonian habit of playing with one's food. Though Bowery did use a form of pleasure to pull their prey away, they never played with it after they got it alone. The Pyrrhonians on the other hand, enjoyed torturing, pleasing, and teasing their prey before they partook in their blood. It was what gave Pyrrhonians their playful stereotype.
So, Mihail had not only taken on the powers, but the personality traits of other vampires. If that were true, then what traits did he have of Hallowed? It was a question that needed an answer, Mathias knew now that he was fighting more then just an intelligent Bowery. He was fighting a Bowery with the intelligence and personalities of all three of the great breeds of vampire. He would need an immense amount of information on Mihail's habits, and routines before he could confront the beast.

"What other traits is he exhibiting that are unlike a bowery?" Mathias asked, then immediately wished he had been more coy about it.

The three of them looked around at each other, seeming to wait for the others to answer.

"He seems a great deal smarter, and stronger then most Bowery. He fought a Hallowed one a couple months ago by himself." Risto told him.

"And what came of that?"

They all looked rather upset, "It was Lord Wintor, he was killed in the battle."

"Wintor, the elder?"

Risto gave a slight nod, "He was the one assigned here before you."

Wintor had just become an elder a little over a century ago, Mathias was baffled that Eva would send such an young elder to fight someone she knew could easily over power Mathias, let alone a new elder. Wintor had just begun learning his new powers and skills. He died because Eva underestimated her enemy, and Mathias prayed she hadn't done so again by sending him.

"We just don't understand how a fresh Bowery could of killed a Hallowed Elder it doesn't make any sense, milord." Baris told him as he rewrapped his burnt arm.

"No, it doesn't. Which is why I am here, we have to destroy Mihail, I want tight records kept of everything he does while he is out. And I mean tight if he picks his nose, I want it to be in the report. Understand?"

They all gave nods, and immediately went to complete their duties before sun down. It would soon be time for Mihail to awaken and feed.