Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 31

They took to the roof tops at sunset and found their way to the feeding ground. The humans arrived first, he could hear them discussing Mihail's arrival. He seemed to be a big celebrity in the area, the women especially seemed to be fond of him. In their whispers they told of Mihail's desire for pleasures of the flesh. He didn't always kill who he took away, which meant that his thirst for blood had been quench slightly, like a Hallowed.

Mathias sat very still on the rooftop, and looked to the other three buildings where the fresh vampires should of been. He didn't see any of them, but they probably didn't see him either so he didn't worry. Time passed on and it seemed Mihail would never show himself, Mathis sat down on the rooftop and decided to rely on his sense instead of his eyesight to wait for Mihail. After nearly three hours, he finally felt his presence. It was a strong presence much more then any Bowery he had ever known, although not nearly as powerful as the Ancients. It was odd how closely the sense matched that of a Hallowed Elder. Mathias stood and looked over the rooftop at his target.

Mihail had black hair with a black cloak on with an inner layer of purple velvet. His face looked old, but not wise. He stood taller then most of the men around him, and the women swooned at his voice. Now, it was time for Mathias to wait for his target to leave his horde with an unsuspecting human. If he did leave his pack further behind then most Bowery, then they would be able to destroy him with ease. Mathias was more powerful then Wintor, so he didn't expect much of a challenge from this simple minded being.

The wait did not take long, Mihail quickly looked over the women, and gave a satisfied grin when he found the one he wanted. She had light skin, dark eyes and hair, it seemed to Mathias he chose victims that were physically attractive and not through their blood. Of course, maybe that evening was not a feeding night either. Mihail walked up to the woman and began to speak with her, through the noise of the gathering crowd, Mathias could not hear what was said. The woman smiled brightly as she took Mihail's arm and they walked down the street away from the others. Mathias didn't understand why the fresh vampires thought Mihail could read minds, he didn't even seem to take notice of Hallowed Elder watching him, not once.

Following them from rooftop to rooftop, Mathias watched as Mihail flirted and teased the woman. They came to the alley way, and Mihail shoved the woman playfully against the wall. He ran one finger down her cheek, "You are so beautiful, Kacia." He pressed his lips on her own.

She pushed him away and placed a frown on her face, "Mihail, do you love me?"

He nodded, "More then anything."

"I can't be this way anymore. People know that I have been with you, and they look down upon me now."

Mathias' keen ears listened in on the conversation from the rooftop above them. He grinned as he eavesdropped, it was a plot of fiction for a Bowery to be having a love affair, and more so was with a human.

"I know, my love, but I can't wed you."

"Why, Mihail?"

He took a deep sigh, and taking a step back, "You know I can't tell you."

"You never can. You can't love me, if you can't tell me your secrets."

His voice turned into a whine as he looked to his feet below him, "Kacia, please, I can't tell you. If you knew you wouldn't love me anymore."

She rested her hand on his cheek, "I will love you no matter what, Mihail. I want you no matter what you have done, tell me."

Mathias looked across alley to watch Baris get into position. He wandered what he was doing, they needed to study Mihail right now, not fight him.

"I want to tell you, Kacia. I love you so, and I want you to know." He took her hand that rested on his cheek, and kissed her palm. "I fear loosing you to my darkness, and I don't want you to have any part of it."

Her hand was pulled out of his own, "Then I am sorry, I can't see you ever again." She turned away from him, heading out of the alley, but Mihail caught her upper arm.

"Kacia?"

"You lost me to your dark secret because you didn't tell me, not because you did. Remember that for the next woman who comes along, and says she loves you for despite anything you have done." Kacia snapped and ripped her arm from his grasp.

"Wait, Kacia. It's not what I have done, it's who I am. It's what I do."

She stopped and turned to face him, "What you do? Such as a profession?"

"It's who I am, what I truly am."

"You are truly a loving soul, you care more deeply for a single person then any man in Greece. I don't want to loose you, Mihail, but if you can't trust me…" Her words trailed off.

"Come here, I will tell you, I don't want you to leave."

She walked over to him, and he touched her shoulders, only to drop them to his side after a moment's touch.
"Kacia, if you know this, you may die because of it. Do you still want to know?"

She nodded, "Of course."

"I am a vampire."

Her laughter echoed through the alley way then all together stopped, "Lying to me now, first you were just not telling me, and now…"

He exposed his fangs to her, and looked into her eyes. She didn't run which was what both Mihail and Mathias had expected. Instead she reached up and touched his fangs, and then looked into his eyes.

Her deep swallow was heard by all, "You kill people for food?"

"Yes."

"You drink their blood?"

"Yes."

Her eyes shot from his eyes to his teeth and back again, "I think I'll need some time to think about this, Mihail."

He nodded, "Will I see you tomorrow evening?"

"I don't know, but you will see me again. I will not leave you not knowing the reasons I didn't came back."

"I will know the reasons."

She sighed, "It's not that you are a vampire, it's that you hurt people. I understand now, why so many girls disappear that come here at night." She turned her back and took a step forward, then turned back to him and kissed his lips, "No matter what, I will always love you."

"And I you."

"I know that I truly mean something to you now. Despite what all the girls say about you leaving with many other woman. I know the truth now."

He gave her a smile, "I will see you again then."

"Yes." She kissed his lips gently, then took a step backwards.

Behind her appeared Baris and he reached out his hand, and snapped Kacia's neck. Mihail watched her fall to the ground in front of him, as his eyes filled with tears. He turned his eyes to Baris, and seemed to give him a questioning look.

"That was for my wife, Mara. Remember killing her, you bastard?"

Mathias rolled his eyes, he had forgotten to read the fresh vampires' minds to find out their inner thoughts, and deepest pains. He needed to know who he could trust, and obviously Baris wasn't trustworthy. He was running on the pain and not logical thought. When Risto and Giorgos stood up, Mathias held up his hand to tell them to hold. Although Mihail was a Bowery, and using powers for evil, he had the right to avenge the death of the woman he loved. Besides there was no fire around, so all he could do was tear Baris apart. It would take him several hundred years to paste himself back together, but it would be a lesson well learned.

Mihail did exactly what he thought he would and began ripping the man apart piece by piece. First his limps, and then his organs, until finally he crushed his head under his foot. It made a loud cracking sound that made even Mathias shiver. Risto made his way to Mathias's side and looked at him questioningly.

"He deserves revenge for what Baris did." Mathias answered the questioning look.

"Does Baris not deserve revenge for what Mihail did to his wife?" He asked with irritation in his voice.

"And what did Mihail do to his wife?"

Risto swallowed deeply and looked down at Mihail holding the dead body of the woman he loved. "He took her to his lair, chained her up and tortured her for three months. He stabbed her with knifes, broken glass, anything that would break her skin. After all this was over, he turned her into a Bowery, and sent her still in transformation back to Baris."

"What did Baris do?"

Risto again swallowed, "He couldn't bare to see such a gentle person become a vampire, especially a Bowery, so he killed her after she gave him Mihail's message."

"Which was?"

"Stop following me, or everyone you love will be part of me."

The elder nodded his head and looked back down at Mihail, then returned his eyes to Risto. "I feel for Baris, but Mihail didn't kill his wife. He killed her himself, and he is only to blame for her death."

He could tell Risto didn't like his answer by the look of anger in his eyes. "What do we do now?"

"Might as well confront him, now that Baris has made our presence known."

He waved at Giorgos, and they all three jumped down surrounding Mihail. He laid the body of the woman he loved down gently, and wiped the tears from his eyes as he stood up. After composing himself, he looked at Mathias, the sense of his elder's power rattled within his skull. Mihail knew that this Hallowed before him was not to be toyed with.

"Why would you kill her? She was a gentle angel, loving and kind."

Mathias shook his head, "I did not tell Baris to do such a thing, it was of his own decision."

He nodded as he looked at the piled remains of the Hallowed, "He will live as will I, but always with the pain of what I did to him and his wife."

"He will live, but you will not." Mathias told him.

He gave another nod, "Yes, I suppose they wouldn't send another Elder after me unless they wanted my death."
"You aren't wise enough for your knowledge or power."

"I do not want to rule the world, I just wanted to feel again. I needed my human side to be in control. All I ever did was kill and sleep, you need to feel something to truly be alive."

"And what are you feeling now?"

"Pain for my loss, hate for my enemy, and extreme guilt for something I should of protected." He looked down at Kacia's body, "I should of married her long ago. Baris is his name?" He watched Mathias nod, "He was lucky, he pronounced his love to all of the world. I did not."

Mathias stared at the Bowery, wondering what plan he was concocting. The Bowery was trying to appeal to his sense of love for another, but Mathias would not fall.

"You need to feel more, Mathias. You do not allow others in easily, and if you want to be truly happy in this world, you have to allow one person to know you deeper then anyone else."

He was not surprised that he knew his name, but giving him advice made him feel uncomfortable. "I will keep that in mind, Mihail, but I have to destroy you now."

He nodded, "I am afraid I won't go without a fight."

"I would expect no less from you."

Giorgos placed his hands on Mihail's shoulder, as Mihail turned around and delivered a powerful punch to his face, sending the young fresh flying backwards. The bones in Giorgos' face had shattered and he fell to the ground with a thud.

Mathias began his attack then, racing towards Mihail. From his belt he pulled a jagged edged dagger. Mihail was quick to notice his advancement, and pulled out a short sword. Mathias could not stop himself in time, as Mihail pushed the sword through the center of his abdomen and then pulled upwards. The sword pulled out just under his arm, cutting him nearly in two pieces. Mathias's body fell to the ground hard.

Mihail grinned at his victory, it would take him a long time to recover from that wound, so he turned his attention to the fresh that stood before him. With his enhanced speed, he raised his sword and chopped the fresh into large pieces easily. They were no match against his powers. He then turned his butchering ability to Giorgos' unconscious form.

"You weren't even worth my time." He laughed and turned his head as he watched Mathias's wound heal abnormally fast. When it was complete he pivoted to his feet on one heel and grinned.

"Lesson one, learned." Mathias spoke then turned his focus to the dagger that laid a six feet away, it had manage to fly from his hand.

Mihail followed his eyes to the dagger and jumped for it, as Mathias stood in his position and didn't move from the spot he was standing. The Bowery's hand wrapped around the dagger, as he lifted it up the flesh of his hand began to burn and it felt as if his hand were dissolving off the bone. Without even thinking of the consequences, the dagger dropped from his hand onto the ground, and he looked to watch the skin that had touched the dagger melt away.

"Second lesson, learned." Mathias said drawing his attention back to him, he held up his hand towards the dagger. The jagged blade began to move then flew into it's master's hand, "This blade is a blessed artifact, given to me many years ago by a holy man. It allows only one master."

Mihail gave a snarling look then pulled from under his cloak a small crossbow, and launched it towards Mathias's head. The Hallowed's hand reached up and snatched it from the air, snapping it with his single hand. As he snapped it a sharp pain echoed throughout his body coming from his shoulder. It was a second bolt that had been fired undetected.

"Can't catch them all, can you?" Mihail's grin slowly faded as he watched the skin heal rapidly around the bolt, then all together push it out.

"I don't have to." He said as it fell to the ground. "That was part of lesson one."

The look of anger covered Mihail's face, and he pulled out his short sword again. He called upon his power of speed and swiftly delivered blows onto Mathias, each blow was caught by the jagged dagger. Mihail brought his sword down one more time only to find his hand a captive of Mathias's own hand, he raised his dagger to slash the guts of the Bowery. A hand appeared on each of Mathias' shoulders and pulled him to the ground, Mihail grinned and ran off down the alley as a group of twenty Bowery encircled Mathias.

Standing up, he dusted his back side off, and looked around at them. He could take them all with ease, but he didn't have time. Mihail was vulnerable now, and could easily be removed, if he could catch him. He rushed towards the group with his shoulder towards them, holding out his dagger and sliced the stomach of two of them to his right, and with his left arm, knocked another set of two to the ground. Catching Mihail was his responsibility that evening, not destroying his minions.

Running down the street he looked up just in time to see Mihail's legs disappear over a rooftop, behind him he heard the sound of the remaining Bowery chasing after him. Though his power of levitation wouldn't lift him as high as the building, it did give him the height he needed to reach the ledge with his hands, and pull himself onto the roof. He had to keep up with Mihail, however, he didn't know the city as well as the bowery. Giving Mihail a slight advantage, he wasn't sure if it would be enough.

He sensed the Bowery coming from below the building to his left, quickly he ran to look upon the road at a unnamed Bowery. He wasn't interested in them, so he concentrated for the sense of another Bowery. The senses of the mass amount of Bowery were throwing him off track, they were running around in all directions. Not trying to capture him, but to purposely make him lose Mihail's sense. They were successful, and when Mihail was too far gone to be noticed, the others disappeared without a trace.

Mathias's mouth let out a stream of curse words that even a demon would quiver at. After his fit he climbed down he ladder, levitation had taken his strength and therefore hunting would be the next task on his list. Carefully he walked back to the alley way to gather the remains of the three fresh vampires. He would take them to Italy where others could watch over their regeneration, and care for them once they were in one piece. The smell of burnt flesh filled his nostrils as he grew closer, turning the corner to the alley gave him the source of the smell. Three piles burning into nothing but ash laid on the ground where the bodies of the fresh use to lay.

A deep sigh came from his lips, he stared over the burning piles for a moment, then turned to find himself some prey. It was, of course, their own faults that they lost their lives on that evening. Mathias gave direct orders not to attack unless told to, and if Baris done just that they would have been better prepared for the battle. Through the streets he slowly walked listening to every footstep that fell around him.

Mihail was more powerful then he imagined him to ever be, asking for help would only get him more fresh vampires to deal with. What he needed was more elders to help him dull the senses and abilities of the overly enhanced Bowery. Of course, no elder would listen to him without giving them a reason as to why they had to destroy this Bowery or why this Bowery had gotten so strong. He needed another Elder of high standings to convince the others, and he could only think of one elder powerful enough to complete this task, Tzion.

Tzion was both the prophet and his master. Although, Tzion was kind to most, he did not want to be the one to change Mathias into a Hallowed. He was ordered to do so, it wasn't because Mathias wasn't a good candidate, but that Tzion felt Mathias's mental skills were far less superior then what a Hallowed should be. Mathias was a Roman war advisor to the Caesar, and his ability to think while fighting was what made him an option for vampiric candidacy. While he lived and trained with his master, Tzion never let on that he didn't care for him. Mathias could just sense Tzion's dislike for him, and when the time came for him to leave. Tzion waited by his door for him to walk up with a carriage full of gold for him to begin his life far away from the prophet.

Even though they had not seen each other since he left so many years ago, he was his master. Last he heard of Tzion he was working in Italy deciphering prophecies that he was having at a rapid pace. It meant only one thing, that the chosen one would be born very soon… and once again.

After feeding on a man in the streets, Mathias found his way to the ship docks, where he paid for the short trip across the sea to Italy. Upon the Italian shore he bought a horse from a local man. Everyone stared at him awkwardly, he was dressed in English noble's clothing, and he was sure that was not a normal sight around the small town. However, he didn't have any time to waste, Mihail was getting further away with every moment he was not behind him.

---***---
The castle that appeared over the horizon echoed with senses of Hallowed vampires, both fresh and elder. The loudest one of all, however, was Tzion's. He didn't have any doubt in his mind that Tzion had sensed his coming long before he set eyes upon the castle. His master had had more then enough time to prepare himself for the his arrival, although he wasn't expecting a warm welcome.

Tzion always seemed to build castles in the middle of large vacant land plots, but within two or three decades it would form into a town. When it became too busy, Tzion would pack up his belongings to venture forth and find a new plot of land. Always, leaving the humans to fight over who would be the next leader of their small civilization. This castle was fresh and had but a few houses surrounding it, and several farms.

As Mathias entered the court of the castle, a small stable boy that closely resembled Richard walked out and took his horse, even called him Lord Mathias, even though the boy had never seen him before. Mathias made his way up the small stair way to the double doors, which opened for him as he approached. Inside two guards shut the doors behind him, and a fresh vampire stood in the center of the entry way. His eyes, hair, and skin light, but there was a darkness in the way he looked at Mathias. The servant vampire made a motion with his hand that told Mathias to follow him. The fresh walked extremely slow and kept his steps light as Tzion often ordered his minions to do. Mathias thought he must of sounded like an elephant as his large boots slammed down on the stone floor, as the light walking was never something Mathias had gotten use to. Reaching the library door, the fresh bowed to him then opened the door.

Inside sat Tzion around a desk scribbling something on paper, beside him was a new painting. He was deciphering a prophecy. Tzion's demon was gifted with the ability to paint images of the future that were truly important to the life of the earth. However, while in this state, his aura does not have any control nor does it remember anything that happened during that time. Which is why Tzion's demon has to be good made by the higher being not the ultimate evil, however there had to be a balance in everyone, which meant that his aura had to be evil. Tzion denied that one needed such a balance, and that his aura was not of that nature.

After the painting was finished, his demon would fall dormant and his aura would awaken to find the freshly made painting. Once the painting was dried the aura deciphered it's meaning. Tzion was the only being on the planet given such a gift. He had been given it long before he was a elder, and therefore he had another ability that was placed upon him when he became an elder. The gift of persuasion, Mathias never understood why the prophet would need such an ability. After all persuasion is the gift of lying, and why would the prophet ever need to lie. It was a question that would go unanswered, because the Higher Being would never explain itself to them.

Tzion looked up from his book and gave a small grin, "You really should send word ahead that you are coming."

"I didn't have time to deal with human pleasantries, Tzion."

"Then what do I owe this pleasure?" His words dripped with sarcasm.

"The Ancients have sent me on a mission to destroy a bowery."

"Elder?" Tzion continued to write in his book.

"No, a fresh, but…"

The feather pin stopped moving, as Tzion glared up with him, the look of annoyance in his eyes. "You came all the way to ask for help over a fresh bowery?"

"Not exactly, you see, though I can not explain to you why or how, this fresh has stolen great power. He destroyed three fresh hallowed right before me, and even killed Lord Wintor."

"How could a bowery be so powerful?" Tzion asked dropping his pin onto the desk.

"I can not tell you, as I am the only one the Ancients wish to have this knowledge. Even then after it is over, the memories will be erased from my mind."

His face grew dark, "They broke the chain of command. If they wanted you to do anything, they needed to ask my suggestions on it first."

"Like I just said, Tzion, they don't want anyone else involved in this."

"They involved Wintor."

"Yes, but they didn't involve me until he was dead."

Tzion stared him over, "Well, if that is the case, then I must speak to the Ancients immediately to make sure I have their consent to involve myself in this matter."

Mathias gave a short bow with his head, "Very well, is there anywhere I can rest?"

"Yes, go down the hall fourth door on your right."

Though Tzion moved often, he always built his castles exactly alike. Each room would be decorated the same as the one before. Mathias recognized the room Tzion described as his old room in a castle that had long since been destroyed.

"I have to finish this prophecy and then I will visit the Ancients."

Mathias left the room to find the door which he used to call home in a time far, far away.

Opening the door to his room, he grinned, it was almost exactly the way he had remembered it. Then again, it wasn't as if Tzion had allowed him to have much of anything. The room was small, containing no more the a small wardrobe, bed, and night stand. Laying down on the bed he closed his eyes, he hadn't slept since before they went to research Mihail almost a week ago. Mathias had always been known for making a short journey long, it was a reason why he was a follower and not a leader.

He wondered before he fell into a deep sleep, who the chosen one would be, and what would make them so special. It was going to be a woman, he could tell that much from Tzion's paintings, but what would drive this being to be good or evil? He knew someday soon he would meet this chosen one, of course, it wasn't going to be under the conditions he hoped for. His mind drifted into a time when life was less complex, his dreams were what made life living.

---***---
"Lord Mathias?" A light voice came from the door way, slowly he opened his eyes, blinking out the sleep that has settled within them.

"Yes?" He propped himself up on his elbows and looked at the small woman who stood with her hands folded in front of her.

"Lord Tzion asked me to wake you, and tell you he wishes for your audience in the library."

"Thank you, what is your name?"

"Mary." She grinned.

"Thank you, Mary."

When Mathias walked out into the hallway, Mary had disappeared, most likely to complete her chores, Mathias had concluded. He found his way to the library again to see Tzion looking over a list.

"The Ancients said I could help collect the others, but I can not be of assistance in the battle with the Bowery. They told me which elders to send with you as well." He reached his hand over the desk to hand him the list.
"I don't need help finding the others, you don't need to bother yourself." Mathias said trying to sound like he cared for his master's well being, but Tzion could clearly hear his distain in his voice.

"I will come with you for Akela."

"Why?"

He grinned, "She's not the friendly sort, and it will take a lot more then saying you are on a mission for the Ancients to get her to come along."

His eyes looked over the names on the list, "This is a strange combination of Elders."

"I am not surprised, I saw them around the chosen one in my paintings. I knew they would have something to do with it."

Mathias's eyes rested on the last name, "Not Lycorisa, I can't deal with her right now."

"She's actually quite an intelligent and useful being, that is until you come around." Tzion teased with disgust in his voice, "I don't see why you don't act more pleasant with her."

Mathias didn't answer, just continued to stare at the list.

Seeing that Mathias was not going to respond, Tzion frowned, "Let me gather some of my belongings, and we will get Akela first."

"Where is she?"

"France. Then we will stop off in Spain and get your true love, Lycorisa, and her man-dog, Jareth."

Mathias smiled, "He still follows her about?"

"For the rest of his life. Then we will head back to Germany and get the triplets."

"Why don't we do Germany, France, then Spain or Spain, France, then Germany, it would make traveling easier and faster."

"No one asked you, Mathias."

He rolled his eyes at his master, then left the room.

Little did Mathias know getting ready for Tzion meant taking almost everything he owned. He was going to move into his castle in France that was near Akela's own home. He told him that she was the sort that one had to impress to get her to do anything, and going there with nothing but the clothes on your back and needing a place to sleep wouldn't cut it.