Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 33

It seemed it didn't take long before the fork in the road came. Lycorisa and Jareth would go to Tzion's castle and wait there, while Mathias and Tzion would ride on to Germany to find the triplets. It would be an uneventful ride back as the triplets didn't speak and therefore would remain silent for most of the journey. Except the times they would decide to invade someone's mind to remind them of things that they already knew.
Finding the triplets would not be a hard task, as they were usually found in the largest city working as priests or in the case of the two women, nuns.

The triplets were known for their rare and powerful gifts. Penina was giving the gift of calming, she could turn a battle ground into a serene field. It was only temporary until the people remembered just what they had been doing before, but it's use was both amazing and strong.

Sidonia had the rare gift of telekinesis. The power was so rare that only a handful of vampires had it. A person's life and character must be exactly perfect to have such a bizarre gift. Then there was the only male, Ramanan, he had been given foresight. His worked differently then most, as if he could see into the distant future he would then be a prophet. However, he could see things right before they happened giving him almost a ten second delay to work things out. It was a gift that Mathias wished he could own.

They were called the triplets not because they were of the same human parents, but because they were of the same Hallowed mother. They were the only hallowed vampires created by Eva, the first humans to be turned into Hallowed. Like the Ancients, their age had put them beyond words. Mathias often wondered how they managed to remain in the human domain, speaking was a large portion of human life. He decided after some thought that most of the churches probably decided they had a vow of silence, or one of them placed the thought within the holy men's minds when they arrived.

Finding them was an easy task, as Tzion almost unconsciously went right to the building they lived in. It had taken some time to get there, but never the less they were in the building when they knocked and asked for them.

The priest told them to wait outside, as they waited a stable boy pulled three horses out and handed them to Mathias. They wouldn't even have to tell them that they were needed, and there would be no questions asked. Penina, Sidonia, and Ramanan all walked out of the church with their belongings ready to go. They climbed on their horses and rode the way that the two men had just entered.

Mathias was amazed by how wise and all knowing these vampires were. Age had slowly begun to catch up with them, they all had porcelain skin. Sidonia had pure white hair with the brightest green eyes he had ever seen, she was a tall woman with a broad build. Penina, on the other hand, also had the colorless hair with dark brown eyes, she was short and thin. Her appearance could make the wisest of men forget how strong and powerful she was. It seemed if one even touched her lightly she would break.

Out of the three Hallowed elders, it was Ramanan that intimidated Mathias. He stood about several inches taller then him, and Mathias was known for his height. Ramanan had the same white hair and the darkest eyes, his shoulders were broad and by looking at him one could tell that he was pure force.

The days and nights disappeared like a bad dream and as they rode on the silence seemed to overwhelm Mathias and Tzion, who were not use to it. They soon found themselves speaking about almost anything to past the time. At one point a leaf that fell from a tree above them, sparked a conversation that lasted nearly four hours. The sight of the castle peering over the horizon was welcomed by all, especially the triplets who had grown tired of the nonsense ramblings.

---***---

After arriving they sent a messenger to give word to Akela of their return, and ask her to come to Tzion's home. It had been two days since they sent the man on his short journey that should of taken no longer then an hour, he had yet to return. Mathias stared out his bedroom window into the court of the castle, Ramanan and Jareth had been practicing their sword play. Because of Ramanan's size, he couldn't use a normal long sword so instead he used a great sword. It struck Mathias as humorous that the two men who couldn't talk seemed to have bonded with each other.

Lycorisa sat on a bench next to the pond and watched the two men practice. She had looked up to Mathias's window several times, but it didn't seem that she noticed him there. He had been watching Lycorisa, she seemed so sad and alone now that he knew her story. Pity had replaced hate. Yet, of all the people that he pitied, it would be Jareth that he felt the most sadness towards. Jareth in love with a woman who would never take his hand, who would never kiss his lips. Although, Mathias could not be with Madeline, she at least returned his affection.

Jareth's eyes showed nothing but love when he looked upon the dark haired beauty, but when Lycorisa's eyes sat upon him, he could see how much she despised him. Mathias wondered if Jareth truly loved her, fore if he loved a woman that much, he would let her go. His strength surpassed that of the small man, and then he thought maybe it was that he never felt such a strong emotion that he couldn't let someone go, no matter how much they hated him.

Ramanan and Jareth stopped their sparring and looked at the entrance of the court. On a white horse, cover in a black dress with her black cloak and hair flying behind her, came Akela. Mathias rolled his eyes and gave a large sigh, he really hated that woman. But his distaste for her disappeared when the giant that followed behind her entered through the arch.

Khaldun was a huge man, standing five inches taller then Mathias. He had been made a vampire out of pity. As a human Khaldun was so large that he could barely walk as his back could not hold him, at least that is how the story was told. He was made into a vampire by the woman he loved. When he became an elder, he was given the gift of strength. A strength beyond any vampire, a strength so powerful that for the first few centuries he couldn't control it.

He smashed the skull of the woman he loved, and while he practiced his power for two hundred years, she sat putting herself together. When the final piece was in place, she left him without word or warning. It took him so long to control his power that he isolated himself from all contact until he was ready. Even now he didn't like to be touched, because of his fear of hurting another person.

Mathias considered Khaldun his greatest friend, as they were both made for war. Ramanan had been made for it as well, but the two warriors couldn't find a connection to him without words.

Leaving the quiet of his window, he walked down to the court where Tzion stood speaking with Akela. As soon the sun touched Mathias's skin, Khaldun called out to him, then ran to greet him. Squeezing him between his large arms and lifting him off his feet, Mathias felt like a child hugging his father. He preferred to be the larger person, as normally he was, but now Khaldun and Ramanan towered over him.

Khaldun was not afraid to touch Mathias, because Mathias's own power. "My friend, it has been too long."

"Yes it has, what are you doing here?"

"I came to see Akela, her and I are close acquaintances. She told me that she would be leaving with you and I had to come and see if I could be any help."

"We can always use one such as yourself." He was rather surprised that Khaldun could care for Akela, they often judged people the same. Though perhaps if he didn't have the block on his mind, he might of found Akela more charming as well.

"I have so many new tales to tell you, and I am sure that you have some of your own. Traveling with you will be…"

"I hope you got your lesson in manners." A woman's voice spoke from behind Khaldun, and he moved to reveal Akela. She grinned at Mathias with the most arrogant look upon her face.

"It is not I that needs to learn to respect others, Akela." Mathias's face ran colder then usual, as he stood face to face with the pale woman.

"You will learn to give me due respect, and since Tzion won't be around…"

"I am in charge of this mission, and if you can't properly respect that I lead then you don't have any reason to come along at all."

Her eyes shot up to Khaldun, who spoke for her, "Come now, Mathias, you can't expect…"

"I won't hear it, Khaldun." His hand shot up to tell the giant man not to speak anymore, "You and I are both warriors, we understand rank and right, now I am the leader. When Akela is the leader of another assignment then I will give her the respect she deserves."

He could see the fire burn within her eyes, her lips gave a slight part as if she were about to speak, but then shut almost immediately. Giving a loud huff she lifted her skirt and stormed over to Tzion's side.

"I don't understand her at all, she is rude and conceited. She thinks that she is higher and better then anyone." Mathias growled.

"You have to understand that she was a queen."

"Oh?"

He nodded, "I guess you did not know. Akela was an Egyptian queen, but which queen or who her husband was no one knows."

"Akela doesn't look Egyptian to me. Don't they have dark brown skin?"

He nodded, "No one understands that either. Since she was made a vampire her mind was blocked, and even as a fresh she was able to obstruct attempts to read her mind. The most anyone got was that she was a queen."
"Why would she keep her life story hidden?"
He shrugged.

"I don't like people who hide the truth."

Khaldun smiled at Mathias, "Look who is talking."

"I think you all should leave immediately." Tzion appeared next to Mathias, "Khaldun can stay with me until you return."

"Khaldun is coming with us."

"He isn't on the list of names the ancients gave me." Tzion pulled the list out of a pocket that lined his inner cloak. Mathias tried not to laugh that his master was carrying the list with him.

Mathias push Tzion's hand down, not wanting to take the list from him, "Do you want me to write it on there? He is coming with or without your consent. I don't need your permission." He quickly turned around, before Tzion could say anymore and walked back into the castle.

---***---

The journey back to Greece held no excitement, except for the moments when Akela decided to start an argument about respect. The fact that she lingered on such a meaningless subject the entire trip only made Mathias dislike her more. Her lips jabbered on without care to anyone who would listened or even if no one was listening at all. When time came to make camp, everyone gathered around the fire to hear Mathias's plan for finding Mihail. The triplets paid no attention to his plan, instead they spent most of their time praying.

Their prayers would not help them devise a great plan in order to destroy the powerful bowery. However, Mathias didn't say anything to them about it. He allowed them to pray while everyone else argued over the flaws in the plan, or in Akela's case over respect.

Upon reaching the Greek city that Mihail called home, Akela became completely useless in finding him. Lycorisa blocked the senses in the city, while Jareth used his enhanced eyesight and hearing to watch and listen for any suspicious activity. They had hoped Akela would read minds to find a bowery. However, she refused to do anything to help them find the target.

As the first night's search came to an end, Mathias found an abandoned home where they could spend the night. It was within the city, but far away from the majority of the population. He knew where Mihail liked to find his meals, and they spent the evening there. Without Akela reading their minds they wouldn't be able to find one, unless they discovered them feeding, and with Akela refusing to help, it would have to come to that. If Lycorisa let down her guard for one moment, every bowery in the city would know where they were. Mihail would be warned and would flee before they could even get a chance to come close. Though Mathias wasn't even sure that the Bowery was still within the city, but Bowery packs normally did not leave their hunting grounds.

If they could sneak up and catch one feeding then they could pry the information of Mihail's whereabouts out of the disgusting creature's mouth. They would then kill the Bowery and find Mihail. Bowery's lived in packs, but they were not loyal if it meant the one caught would die.

The floors of the house were covered with dust, and only a three legged chair remained of the furniture that once filled the house. A stairway stood in the far left corner, but the ceiling had caved in over the stairs leaving them useless. The doors and shutters were missing from the house, so sunlight would have to be tolerated while they slept.

Mathias turned his head and looked at the group. The triplets looked out the window and prayed into the morning sky. Akela stood near the door, the dirty run down place was not to her expectations and therefore she threatened not to sleep. It was a punishment that would only harm herself. Khaldun and Lycorisa were drawing things into the dust on the floor, while Jareth stared at them. He shot Khaldun several jealous looks whenever Lycorisa touched his arm or giggled at anything the giant had to say.

"I have a plan."

Everyone stopped what little they were doing and look at Mathias.

"Since Akela refuses to help us, we can not find them mentally. However, we can find their physical forms." Mathias began, but was interrupted by Akela.

"They all look the same as the humans, you can't tell…"

"Yes, however Bowery do one thing that humans do not in the dead of night."

"Feed off the humans." Khaldun grinned at Mathias then at Lycorisa.

"Yes, we have to go back to the feeding grounds tonight. Watch for two people to leave together and follow them, normally into an alley." Mathias grunted when Akela again interrupted him.

"You would have to let the human die in order to be sure who the vampire is. We can't just let a perfectly good meal go to waste to a Bowery."

Rolling his eyes he continued, "We will then question him, after we get the answers we want, we will kill him so he can't warn anyone." He gave a slight grin waiting for others to comment.

"Sounds good to me." Khaldun said, then shot his eyes over to Akela, "Since some of us aren't being helpful we have to do it the hard way."

"Alright, we all need to get to sleep so we can be rested and ready for tonight. We will wake up just before night fall and feed. Then we will take our places. Sleep well."

Everyone nodded and laid down on the blankets they had brought to camp with. Akela leaned against the door frame, and continued to stare at everyone, "I am not sleeping."

"That's ok, we don't need your help." Mathias said as he turned over and closed his eyes.

---***---

Ramanan was the first to wake that evening, he woke the others by pushing his dirty boot into their sides. Lycorisa was the least pleased with this interruption of her sleep, and had scared Ramanan when she snapped at him. Realizing who it was she apologized immediately, but the look of start in the elder's eyes had made her chuckle afterwards. Akela had kept good to her word, and remained standing in the doorway. They didn't need sleep every night, and could often go without for several weeks. However, it was best to get at least four hours of sleep a day to keep their senses sharp.

Mathias wondered how Akela possibly thought that it would hurt anyone but herself to not sleep. Of course, she was use to swooning human servants, who feared for her well being. After everyone was fed, they began their short journey to the area where Mathias had first laid eyes on Mihail. Akela and Lycorisa didn't want to hide on the rooftops, but instead joined the small celebration. They disappeared into the crowd before anyone could stop them.

Taking the spot where he had sat not long ago, Mathias looked over the open area. Everyone kept themselves ready to pounce the moment a pair left the crowd. Though the Bowery roamed in small groups, they often took their pray into secluded areas. They didn't want to share their meal, and if anyone of their pack saw them leave, they would follow to try and steal their feed.

The chill of the night began to settle in, and after a couple hours the crowd started to thin. Those that had left had mostly been alone in or groups larger then two. Mathias had wondered if Mihail had changed his hunting grounds because of their resent meeting. Though it was rare for a Bowery to give up their territory for any reason, Mihail was different then most. He may not have the same territorial instinct that most Bowery had.

Finally the vicinity contained nothing but a man and a woman sitting on a bench. He stroked her cheeks and spoke softly into her ears, as if making sure no one heard what they said, even though they were the only ones that remained. Lycorisa and Akela had joined everyone on the rooftops once the crowd had become uncomfortably thin. Especially since Lycorisa had looked up at Mathias, and saw his look of annoyance. The two women had found themselves empty handed, and had hope they could smell blood on one of the visitors.

The human woman would giggle then pat his upper arm. Mathias rolled his eyes at the flirting humans and began to stand up when Khaldun came and pulled him back to the ground.

"I think that man is a bowery."

Carefully he looked back over to the man on the bench, "And you think this because?"

"Let's just wait until they leave."

He looked into the giant's face for a moment, there was nothing here, but if it would please him then they would stay. Besides how long could these two humans stay here? The night air was quiet chilly, even to a Hallowed.

Still as a favor to his old friend, he sat waiting for the lovers to leave. He watched them with hate and jealousy. After a few moments of his heated stare, he realized what he was doing, as did Lycorisa who was watching him. Taking a deep sigh his mind wandered back to England, back to Madeline. He had never been in love before as a vampire, but she opened his heart to the passion of feeling such a deep emotion. She was so beautiful to him even at her ripe old age, how he wished that he could of spent an eternity with her.

Now she was a vampire, but he would probably never see her again. He wondered if he would forget her completely. He couldn't possibly forget that smile.

Khaldun's hand was placed on his shoulder helping him find his way back to reality, "I guess I was wrong, let's head back. A bowery wouldn't stay out this close to sun break."

Mathias nodded, and stood stretching the full length of his body. Kneeling down all evening had cause his back to become quite stiff. He could tell by looking around that mostly everyone else suffered from it as well, except Akela who was napping a few feet away.

"I am sending her back, she is worthless to me." Mathias whispered to Khaldun.

"She just doesn't like being under a younger vampire's control."

"I am not that much younger."

Khaldun grinned, "She was an elder by the time you were created. Besides in Akela terms, if you are a day then you are too young."

"She doesn't seem to mind you."

His friend grinned, "That's because I let her be on top."

Mathias upper lip quivered in disgust, "Please tell me that wasn't some sort of innuendo."

Khaldun didn't say anything only chuckled.

From behind Mathias the sound of a human scream broke through the crisp air. Mathias turned quickly, his cloak danced around his legs as it fell from his swift turn. The female sat feasting upon the male, Mathias grinned as he jumped down.

He walked with much haste towards the vampire, her back was turned and she could not see nor sense him. Grabbing her by the collar of her dress, he yanked her thin body into the air then snapped the neck of her victim.

"No!" She screamed as her carnal appetite flashed in her eyes. She was a feasting beast and as such any humanity left in her had vanished while the blood lingered on her tongue.

The fight began there as she screamed and clawed at Mathias's face. Her grabbed the cloth of her dress that cover her boy like chest and lifted her up into the air. Pulling the knife from his belt, he held it up to her abdomen. Her struggles came to a halt as she understood that the Hallowed wanted to speak with her. Staring down into his eyes, she waited.

"That's better." He said as the scratches on his faces closed together as quickly as water rushing back towards itself. "You realize it's close to dawn, don't you?"

She looked towards the horizon then back into his eyes. This Bowery was so small, probably weighing no more then eighty pounds. Her hair was thin, looking upon her one could make out every bone she possessed. He concluded, after staring at her for a moment more, that she had not eaten in a long time.

The others came to look upon the new captive.

"Let's take her with us, and get some answers out of her." He ordered and they all began to journey back to the run down shack they were calling home.

---***---

Most were glad at this point that the house was so far away from the majority of the population. The girl's screams grew louder, and still she said nothing. Akela could have taken the information from her easily, but Mathias knew better then to ask her. Least he would have to hear another speech about respect.
Quietly he sat watching Khaldun slowly shove the holy dagger in the small woman's body. She hung from the beam in the ceiling by a thick rope, her shoulders were beginning to slip out of socket. If she weren't a Bowery, Mathias would had pitied her. He sat across the room on a chair with only three legs, and rubbed his brow growing weary of her screams.

"This is your last chance, then we will end your pathetic life." He said, finally tired of hearing the high pitched squeals.

She said nothing.

"Ok, go ahead, put her out of her misery."

Khaldun held up the dagger.

"Wait, I don't know where Mihail is." The Bowery cried out, realizing that they weren't going to keep alive until her clan could come and find her that evening. "He wasn't part of my clan, we don't know what happen to him. A few weeks ago, he and his clan left the city, no one has seen them since. It's why I was at their hunting grounds, they had all the good ones."

"Where did they go?" Mathias asked.

"I don't know."

"Kill her." He waved his hand.

"Wait, I don't know but there is someone who does. Mihail left one of his clansmen behind to keep watch for whatever they are running from."

"Who is he and where can I find him?"

"His name is Rasmus, he usually hunts by the front gate. He likes attacking the guards, but you have to hurry if you want to find him. The other clans hate his kind, and they are working together to rid his taint from the city."
"His kind?"

She nodded frantically, "Mihail's clan, I mean. Mihail is able to think like no other Bowery, he plotted battles against other clans stealing their territory. There was nothing any of us could do, he was always one step ahead."

Mathias stared at her for a moment, trying to decide what he wanted to do. "Alright, but just in case you are lying…"

"I am not, I swear, please let me go." Her eyes held her hope, "I swear I won't tell anyone about you being here. I…" She looked at some of the sunlight that was coming in through the broken window. "Please, set me free."

"Set her free, Khaldun." Mathias stood up and walked outside, as Khaldun brought the dagger up into the air.

"Wait no!" Would be the last words she would ever speak in this life.

Mathias turned around just into time to watch her insides spill to the floor from the doorway, then her ashes followed.