Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 34

As the day passed Mathias sat on his three legged chair staring at the others, who were sleeping against the wall, away from the ashes of the bowery. Sleep would not come so easily for him. His mind rested on the ashes of the deceased bowery, though she was merely a bowery, Madeline's teachings had made him feel guilt for killing her. A filthy bowery made him feel guilty, she had told them what they wanted to know and still she died for it. Madeline had often taken care of stray animals and people that came along, even when those animals would bite her or the people would steal from her. That never stopped her from helping the next stray that came along. She always told him that each person was different and to judge one person on the actions of another was unjust.

It was those words that ran through his mind. He was judging every Bowery based solely on what he had been taught and what he had seen. There was no individual bases for him, and he wondered why that was. Bowery were not like Halloweds, they didn't tell their prey they would be turned. Three bites it took to create a Bowery, they had to be semi-intelligent to do such a thing.

Soon the chill of the night tickled his nose, and he knew it would soon be time for everyone to awake. He shrugged off his irregular thoughts and woke the others. Slowly every rose from their spots on the floor. Lycorisa had given a loud yawn to show her dissatisfaction in having been wakened. It wasn't long before they were prepared to go, and heading for the door. Mathias stopped at the door, before anyone had left, and turned to the one who prove to be the least valuable.

"We don't need anyone who doesn't want to help, you stay here. You'll only get in the way."

Akela's cheeks grew red from anger, "How dare you speak…"

"No, how dare you to be sent on a mission by the Ancients and not even have the loyalty to them to help. How dare you, Akela!" He pointed his finger in her face, "Now, stay here!" Twisting around he stormed out the door.

Khaldun gave her a look of understanding and pity, squeezing her hand gently before he followed the rest of the Halloweds into the darkness.

"You didn't have to do that in front of everyone, Mathias." Khaldun said from the back of the group.
"She has done far worse in front of the others to me. If she wishes to show me little to no respect, then I will show her the same."

Khaldun sighed saying nothing as the group continued on it's way to the front gates. They arrived just in time to watch the changing of the guards. It wasn't a spectacular sight, just men waking the sleeping guards from their posts high atop the gray stone walls. Mathias hoped that this would be the group that the Bowery would choose to feed from. He knew that they were in for yet again another long night, as Bowery enjoyed watching their prey for quite a while before they made an approach. All members of the group were placed in at different posts so that they each could see every guard around the large gates of the city.

Mathias had taken the position in front of the gates, he sat on the roof of a bakery. The smells of baked bread filled his nostrils, and he smiled remembering when he could actually eat all the wonderful food of the world. It didn't make him hungry, but instead brought back memories. Memories that most of the time he wished would no longer exist in his mind. Times when he was in Caesar's army, preparing for battle. Sitting around the fire eating meals with the men, knowing that the next day some of them would not be returning. Though they would seem to be sad memories, he enjoyed the memories of those long forgotten. People whose names would be remembered by no one, and not written in any tome.

He thought of Caesar's downfall and knew that had he been there it would of never of occurred. But he couldn't of been there, fate decided that long before he was born. Long before he ever found happiness in what he was doing for Rome. His name was not Mathias in those times, but something he wished not think of. It was his human name, and like most vampires he changed it shortly after his rebirth, as Tzion had called it. Who would want to keep the name that brought so many human emotions and memories back.

He sighed before breathing in another whiff of the bread, that was when he noticed the shadow near the front gate. It moved quickly up the stairs to the guard who was napping. He sat in a chair with his head on the stone block that made up the end of the wall. The human had no idea that tonight he would not be returning to his home, and though Mathias would of liked to save the man from feeding a Bowery, he had to make sure this was a vampire.

The shadow reached the sleeping man, and it's dark hand wrapped around his mouth to stop his screams. The human jerked but was no match for the strength of the Bowery, Mathias stood and waved at the others to come to him. Mathias' tall form caught the attention of the feeding Bowery, immediately causing him to flee the scene. Traveling out the gate into the woods outside, Mathias and the others jumped down from the buildings and followed him into the woods.

They did not know the area as well as the Bowery did, and were constantly stopped to turn around a tree. Finally, he decided it was time to play no more games, he stripped away his clothing, and began to change into that of the wolf. The others soon followed his example, and they chased the lesser vampire with ease.

Mathias' wolf form was soon upon the heels of the fleeing vampire. The Bowery's fear filled eyes looked behind him, as the large white fangs of the white wolf revealed themselves under the curled lips. Looking behind him proved to be his error as it slowed his stride, and the wolf launched itself from the ground to laid squarely on his back. The other wolves soon appear panting and creating a circle around the Bowery with Mathias still standing atop of him. Slowly their wolf forms began to change into that of a human, and Mathias jerked the Bowery to his feet.

Lycorisa appeared with everyone's clothing in her hands, she could not change into her wolf form, because she could not use her ability then. She laid the clothing on the ground and came to stand in the center of her naked companions.

"Please, please, do not kill me, I meant no harm." Rasmus pleaded, but in the dark he could see quite clearly the Halloweds' dark eyes showing no mercy for him.

"Rasmus, I assume." Mathias stated more then questioned. "Well, lets cut the small talk and get down to what we want to know. Where is Mihail?"

The Bowery opened his mouth to speak but was cut off before a word left his lips.
"Let me warn you, Rasmus. You will only get one chance at this so answer wisely." Mathias warned him, and waited for the Bowery to choose.

All could see him think of the choice of betraying or staying loyal to Mihail, but like all Bowery their loyalty would only last as long as their was no chance of death. "He left to the north, they are heading to another city where there is no competition for food. They said they would send word for me when they found the city, and in the mean time I was to wait and look to see if any Halloweds came."

The large hand of the Hallowed that held his arm reach behind him and pulled out a dagger.

"Wait! Please do not kill me, I will do anything." His pleas meant nothing, and he knew it, but never the less he tried.

"Stop Mathias." Lycorisa stepped forward and placed her hand on the Bowery's head. After a few moments she looked up into Mathias's eyes, "Alright." She said as she vanished behind Khaldun.

Whatever life he had succeeded in holding onto left his eyes as Mathias sliced his abdomen. His black eyes seemed to look deep within the Hallowed that took his life. Mathias thought he would always remember that moment, for in that instance he saw something in a Bowery he had never seen before. It was not the look of a beast dying like so many before him, he was unsure as to what changed in those moments, and he said nothing to the others as the Bowery fell to ash.

Everyone began to dress themselves in the darkness, and paid no attention to the sounds of the approaching vampire.

"What now?" Akela came from the darkness.

"I thought I told you not to come!" Mathias twisted around to look at her.

The anger in her eyes burned a fiery red, but her voice gave no hint to it, "I did not interfere. Now, answer my question."

"Was he telling the truth?" He asked, knowing very well that she could not help but read the minds of those around her.

She gave a slight nod, "He told you all he knew."

Her voice seemed cold and completely unemotional as to how she normally behaved. Those who looked upon her face could see something turning within her mind, and they all couldn't help but wonder what had brought on this sudden change in her. Though she was not being as helpful as she could be, she was willing to give forth information she otherwise held back.

"We head to the north then."

"And how will we know which path to follow?" Akela questioned.

"We don't have to know." Lycorisa stepped between the two elders who seemed to be in a deadlock stare. "I stole a portion of his aura, I can send it out to the surrounding area. If Mihail is near, he'll likely try to find the source of his friend's aura."

"You… you can do that?" Akela asked with shock.

Lycorisa nodded, "Yes, I am told that with time I won't even need to steal it, I will be able to mimic any aura that I have ever come in contact with."

Suddenly, Akela looked uneasy about the young elder.

A large hand was placed on Lycorisa's shoulder, and Mathias gave her a grin, "Excellent work, Lycorisa." Removing his hand he looked at the rest of the group, "Everyone else will hide and I will stand in sight, he won't run seeing just me."

"And what would make you think that?" Akela questioned.

"Let's just say we have an understanding."

"I think it would be wiser, if I was around to grab him just in case he tries to escape." Khaldun said, and Mathias gave his nod of approval.

"We will all need to use our abilities. Jareth will need to listen carefully for anyone coming our way, and Lycorisa you need to cover us but send the signal out. Will you be able to do both?"

She gave a quick nod.

"Penina will have to keep him calm so he doesn't feel the need to flee. Ramanan, you will have to watch all of our backs, same to you, Sidonia."

"And what of me?" Akela stepped closer to him.

"Do whatever you feel you must." With that he faced himself to the north and began what he knew to be a long journey.

Akela only chimed in once staying that they were forgetting their horses and equipment, but Mathias told her they would not be needing it.

---***---

And so it was that the elders traveled for several days to the north. They would stop occasional to plant themselves in an ambush position, while Lycorisa sent Rasmus's aura to the surrounding areas. Though they did meet with several vampires both Bowery and Pyrrhonian that had come to investigate, they were without Mihail. Akela had begun to tell them that their plan had no merit, and they didn't know how far Lycorisa was sending the aura. Although, they managed to get one Pyrrhonian to explain the far distance it had come. The aura that Lycorisa was using seemed to have a strange alluring sense to most vampires, though she swore it was the aura that she took from Rasmus.

As their leader, Mathias could tell that most were beginning to give up on finding Mihail using this tactic. However, he knew the power of persistence, and made them continue. The days slipped into weeks, and the weeks into months. He was beginning to think that Rasmus lied to them, or that Mihail had found his home already and discovered Rasmus's death. If Mihail knew of the Bowery's death, he would know that the aura was not that of his friend. In which case, their continued journey was for naught. He could only hope that whatever caused the alluring sense in the aura would be strong enough to pull Mihail, though it had yet to pull a Hallowed to them.

It was on the final day that Mathias planned playing this game of bait, that he came across two large rocky hills a perfect place for an ambush. He wondered though why such a perfect place would call to him, it was as if the Higher Being was whispering to him that this place was the spot for him.

He stood between the large rocky hills, and Lycorisa began to send out the signal. Mathias had told them that this would be the last day, and then they would return to speak with the Ancients, who may be able to shed light on the subject. Yet, something felt right about that moment, and he knew that would not be necessary.

It didn't take long for a Bowery to respond to the call, and as Mihail cleared the nearby trees, he grinned. Carefully looking around he walked up to Mathias, he had seen no one else in sight, except the familiar Hallowed Elder.

Mathias felt an emotion of almost a childish glee to see Mihail walk out of the woods. He couldn't believe that this spot was the correct one, what amazed him more was that the tactic worked.

"Finally found me, did you?" Mihail grinned sensing Mathias' happiness.

"Wasn't as hard as I expected it to be."

"Yes, Rasmus is quite weak when tortured." Mihail had grown a mustache and he stroked it while he spoke. "Have you not learned that I am far to quick for you, Mathias?"

The giant arms of Khaldun wrapped around him, holding him firmly within his grasp he grinned, "Not fast enough, Bowery." Khaldun chuckled.

"Within the next few moments a hoard of Bowery will fall upon you, punishing you for deceiving me." Mihail spewed the words with venom.

"I doubt that!" A feminine voice screamed as Lycorisa came down the mountain to stop next to Mathias, "They have no idea where you are, can't you sense what is around you?"

He stopped struggling long enough to find that he could only sense himself as the only vampire in the area, even though he could plainly see that there were three vampires standing near him, "The gift of presence, a remarkable gift, indeed. Had I known that such a gift existed, I would never of given up that stone so easily." His eyes shifted from Lycorisa to Mathias, "So, you do indeed have a lover, maybe I should destroy her, so that you may know how I felt."

Jareth and Akela slowly came down the hill at that time to take their stations next to Mathias as well.
Mihail looked upon Akela and grinned, "What a beautiful woman, too bad you are Hallowed and I will have to…" Akela's firm hand rushed to connect with Mihail's cheek.

"Don't speak to me, unless I question you." She said then turned her attentions to Mathias, "What are we waiting for, we don't need him, slash his guts and let's leave. This was a lot easier then you made it out to be, Mathias. You are so feeble and dense."

He ignored her attempts to cause anger within him, as he pulled out his dagger to finish the Bowery off once and for all. As he raised his dagger, Jareth reached up to grab his hand, "There are others here." He was looking towards the wooded area.

"Did you think I would come here alone?" Mihail grinned, then spoke to Lycorisa, "Your greatest power is your greatest weakness."

"I believe that speaks for everyone on earth." She retorted.

The Bowery took no time to plan a tactic, they rushed in attacking anything that wasn't one of their own. Khaldun had to let Mihail go as the claws of another Bowery slashed his back open.

Mathias wasn't about to let Mihail get away again, and he threw himself upon the Bowery with haste. They exchanged blows laying on the ground, while the others defended themselves from the large mass of Bowery that looked to destroy them.

Lycorisa was not a fighter and relied mostly on running from Hallowed to Hallowed, trying to get the Bowery off her and onto them. Penina, Ramanan, and Sidonia slowly walked down the hill to join the fight.

Ramanan joined Khaldun who had collected several Bowery atop of him trying to pull him to the ground.
Ripping through each one he uncovered Khaldun, and when the last one fell they ran to Akela's aid. Sidonia rose her hand and began picking up Bowery several feet away from her and throwing them against the rocks of the hill and each other.

Penina, though she did not raise her power to fight, she used it to calm her allies to think more clearly during the battle. Her contribution to the group could have been seen as the greatest in the days to come.

Mathias found himself above Mihail startling him, delivering blow after blow. He didn't know why but he was angry, he wanted this vampire to feel pain. When Mihail had had enough he tried to get the upper hand, slowly the rolled to the right towards the hills. It wasn't long before they both felt the weightlessness of falling, and stopped long enough to find they had fell through the crack in the earth.

Mathias landed on his back and heard several of his ribs crack as if they were twigs. Mihail suffered the injury of a broken wrist, from holding out his hand as they fell. He crawled off the Hallowed and pressed himself up against the dirt wall.

Breathing heavily he watched Mathias stand up holding his chest. "I shall not win this." He said as he listened to Mathias's ribs snap back into place.

The Hallowed turned to him giving a look of disappointment.

"Even if I manage to kill you, your friends will destroy my pack and I will be left down here."

"You realize my mission is to destroy you, not capture you."

He gave a nod. "I understand. I do not wish to live without my love any longer. She had been the entire reason I found the location of the Ancients, and the reason I had taken the stone."

Mathias pulled his dagger from his belt, "I wish we could have met on different terms, Mihail. You must have been of great man."

He grinned, "I appreciate that you respect me, Mathias. And it is because of that respect, I have a request."

"Yes?"

"Allow me to destroy myself. If I must die, I would rather it be by my own hand, so that no one can say that I lost."
Staring at him for a moment, he thought it over in his mind. He pulled a small cloth from his belt and wrapped it around the knife, then threw it to the ground. "If I ever see your face again or hear your name, you will regret our next meeting."

Mihail gave a slight nod, "Please, leave me."

Mathias nodded, and levitated himself out of the deep crack. He found the others resting in the blood of the Bowery they had slain. This battle had gone over many times in his mind, and never had he thought it would end so quickly. He had imagined a great fight to take place between him and Mihail, and not for the Bowery to forfeit.

"Fill in that crack. I need to return to the Ancient's as quickly as possible." He told them.

"Is it over?" Lycorisa asked.

"As best as it will ever be." He left them to finish the job of making sure Mihail never left the dirt.

---***---

He returned to England as quickly as he could, but he knew that he could not tell the Ancients that his mission was complete until he hid the stone that he carried in his pocket. It took him over a year to find the proper spot. It was by a clear blue pond that shimmered from the moonlight, he knew this would be the place to hide his secret. It was more then just a good hiding spot, it was like the rocky hills. Something told him that this would be the only place for the stone. He buried it under an old large tree, and prayed no one would ever find it here.

"Guard this forever." He told the tree, placing his hand on it's large trunk.

He began his journey home, where he knew he would lose all that he had discovered the past couple years. He felt as if he were heading towards his own death. When the dark stairs of the church finally appeared at his feet a fear came to his heart. Yet, he continued without breaking his stride into the church.

Hagley gave a large grin from the pew as he stepped through the door. "Old friend." The priest stood up.

"Hagley, it is so good to see you again." He hugged the small man.

"Come, they have been waiting for you."

The dark journey down the corridors to the Ancient's throne room kept him as anxious as when he has first came. Nothing had seemed to change it was like time itself didn't effect the walls. The empty sound and feeling remained within the rooms he walked through, and when he found the throne room he was greeted by Eva.

She gave a soft smile, and slowly walked to him. Her long white dress flowing behind her, giving an illusion that she was floating through the hair. "My dear Mathias." She spoke.

"I have done as you asked."

"Yes, I know. You would not fail, that is was never an option for you." She gave him a soft smile again.

"Tzion sent…"

"I know, and they do not remember accompanying you on this journey any longer."

His chest tensioned up, as he knew what was soon to come, "What will happen now?"

"The others and I have decided that we can exist here no longer." She turned her back to him.

"Where will you be relocating to?"

She turned her face, and he could barely make out her look. It told him that he was foolish, and still had much to learn of the world. "We will no longer be on this plane of existence."

"You don't mean that you will be destroying…"

Her hand flew into the air, silencing him, "No nothing like that. We are creating our own world, a place in our very minds to survive. It has come clear to us that we are a liability here."

"In your own minds, milady? I do not understand."

She grinned, "We will take all the powers that we have been given, and leave this existence. We will never be able to leave it, least it be destroyed. It will take all three of us to keep the world alive."

"How will we be able to speak with you?"

"Just like any Hallowed once invited you will be able to return as often as you like to our temple."

"I do not understand why this is necessary."

Slowly she began to walk forward towards the alter in the center of the room, "Mathias, you know very well the reasons. We have been far too involved in the lives of the vampires around us, we can not continue telling you how to live your lives." Spinning around, the tail of her dress wrapped around her feet, "You must create your own destiny, and with us here we will only guide the way. Guidance should be given only by yourself, and by none other."

"But, milady…"

Again her hand shot up, "Someday you will understand, however today I must leave you confused. Sorting out this matter is for you to understand the day your memories are given back."

He nodded, "Yes, milady."

"I wish to leave you with this, before I take anything from you." She laid her hands on the alter behind her, "Do not trust those that you should, just because you should. Trust those whom you least expect to be your friend. Listen to them, they shall lighten your path far brighter then you could imagine."

"Though, I do not comprehend what you are saying to me today. I hope that when my memories return that those words will hold the wisdom I seek."

Eva's dark red lips grinned, "Also, you have learned much about love on this journey, I sense."
Mathias nodded, "I saw it in those I didn't expect to see it in."

"You mean Akela and Khaldun?"

He shook his head, "No, I mean Mihail and… I suppose it was more of humanity within two slain Bowery."

Eva grinned again, "Yes, that understanding will help you in the road ahead."

"Before… before the last couple of years are gone, may I ask you something, milady?"

"Of course, my dear Mathias."

"The chosen one… the guardian… I fear that Tzion will force me to kill this one too. I do not wish to do this anymore, but…"

"You needn't worry, you will find that the Higher Being has taken care of all. Tzion meddles in things that do not meet his expectations, and he must learn that not everything that should be will. Not even you, Mathias."
"Thank you, milady."

Again, Eva smiled and with that gesture an unexpected dizziness consumed him. He felt as if he would die, and as he kneeled to his knees he looked at the white angel in front of him. The words to beg for help would not break through his lips, and he fell to the ground believing this would be the end of his existence.

---***---

Slowly the haze of the memory cleared his eyes, and the old wrinkled face of his old love looked upon him. She gave him a smile, and held out his shirt to him. Richard sat next to him on the bed as soon as he sat up to put on his shirt.

"I'm glad that you got what you came for."

"Yes, thank you. I… I… remember it all now."

She smiled, then sighed, "Richard and I are tired of living, Mathias. Now, that my task is done, we both decided we want to go home."

His eyes gave her a questioning look.

"I want to see my mommy again." Richard said aloud.

"You want to die, Madeline?" He looked from Richard to his former love.

She nodded, "After you leave we are going to set the house on fire, and remain inside. Richard and I waited so long for this, it will be our liberation and our reward." She patted his knee.

"I remember now what you meant to me, Madeline."

She grinned, "From what I heard about you these past centuries, I never thought you forgot."

"My heart never did forgot, I knew I loved someone, but I thought I was just too old to remember her name or face. Come back with me to America."

She shook her head, "Mathias, all we want is to be free of this world, and nothing more. You know I never wanted to be a vampire, and I should of never let my fear of being alone let Richard be turned into what he is. He never got a chance to experience so much of life."

He didn't want to speak anymore of her death, "What happen to Hagley?"

She shrugged, "He came around for the first century and then disappeared completely." She gave him a guilty look, "I wanted to read what Tzion had wrote, so I asked him to steal me some copies of his writing. He disappeared right after he delivered the newest one."

"You think that had something to do with it?"

Her eyes shot down to the floor, "I fear it might."

Mathias stood up from the bed, "Thank you for giving of yourself so unselfishly, you will always be remembered by all who fight this war." He kneeled down in front of her and placed his hands on her own, "You will always be my only love."

Her head shook slightly, "No, Mathias, you and I both know that is not true."

His eyes stared into her own, "I am afraid it is."

"You love another, you just need to allow others in to know you deeply. Just like Mihail told you so many years ago." She had seen his memory as well, he understood that now.

"Madeline, I will betray the Hallowed in the coming war. My life will end soon."

A grin played on her face, "That's not how I read it."

---***---

Upon walking out of the bedroom Mathias found Lucas asleep with his head on the table, and his hands dangled down to the floor. Nathaniel also laid asleep in the rocking chair with his arms and legs crossed. He smiled at their positions then started to rock the chair with his foot, waking Nathaniel up almost immediately. He stood up and looked over at Lucas and gave a giant grin.

"That can't be comfortable." Nathaniel chuckled.

He gave a short nod, but didn't grin.

"How did it go?"

"Would you remember where Kailin lived if you saw it?"

He smiled, "I would never forget where the moments of my greatest happiness with the only woman I loved ever happen."

"A simple yes would be sufficient. Wake him up it's time to leave."

They stepped outside of the small cottage, and began towards the field they were they originally been standing the day before. Their car wasn't parked far from there, as they walked the scent of burning wood entered their nostrils. By the time, they reached the small dirt road the fire could be seen in the distance. Nathaniel had questioned it, but Mathias silenced him before they got into the car.