Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 35

The pond wasn't nearly as large as Mathias had remembered it. In the distance were ruins of former homes that once stood around it. One home in particular was remembered by two of the men that stood on the dry grass. The manor of Duke Lyndale stood in their minds still, and as they looked over the horizon they could still make out the familiar form of the large house.

"Pond can't really be called a pond now, can it?" Nathaniel asked looking at the large puddle.

"It still has fish." Lucas pointed out several tadpoles that had made themselves at home.

Nathaniel chuckled, but Mathias was more interested in the stone that was somewhere among the trees. Many of the trees of the one lavish woods had been chopped down, and few still stood. Mathias kneeled down at the base of the largest tree, he knew immediately that this was his tree. With his hands he dug away at the dirt, until his hands found a hole in the trunk. After seeing the landscape, he wasn't sure that the stone would still be there.

Reaching his thick fingers into the hole, he pulled out a stone wrapped in a cloth that was in the process of rotting. It smelt like years of mold, but somehow had managed to still protect the stone. Unwrapping it, he held the red gem up to light of the setting sun, it slowly cleared of all color.

"That it? What? No demon guardian that we have to battle into the bowels of the earth to get the stone that is embedded deep within it's heart? Just dig around a tree and pull it out?" Lucas asked, kneeling down beside Mathias.

"That's it." Mathias tossed it gently in the air and caught it with one hand.

"Strange I thought when we found it that trumpets would blow, and we would march triumphantly into the horizon… I guess that only happened in the movies." Lucas joked.

Mathias smiled at him, before standing up. He looked to Nathaniel, "Let's get this back to Eva, and find out how Kailin is doing."

Nathaniel jerked his head in agreement, "Let's go, it's been too long."

"I think Alanna is probably pissed with me, I haven't called her the entire time we've been here." Lucas told them as they walked back out to the road.

"She is still around, is she?" Mathias asked dryly.

Lucas nodded, "Doesn't come out of her wing of the manor, too many vampires, she says."

"I don't know why you brought her along, she could be a spy." Nathaniel snapped.

"Tzion has his minions watching her all the time, she doesn't have time to be a spy. Besides, I'm sure Akela is keeping a tight watch on her mind." Lucas swallowed, waiting for the two Hallowed to say more, but neither did.

"Leave me alone!" Caitlyn screamed as she continued through the hallways, the sound of the beast's roars was getting closer.

Every hall looked the same now, and she had run them at least a hundred times each. Tears streamed down her face, she was lost. She didn't know how she had gotten here. Her cries called out for Nathaniel to come and rescue her, but they were unheard. Her dress was torn, and her eyes were red. There were cuts and bruises all over her body from tripping and running into the walls.

For some reason, she knew that there was someone she needed to be calling to, but she couldn't remember the name. If she could just remember his name, then he would come. He told her once if she called his name that he would always be there, and that he was always within shouting range. She could of sworn it was Nathaniel, but she had been crying for him for so long, and he had not appeared.

Opening a door, she stepped inside, only to trip into the hall. A blood splat was left behind from where her knee hit the ground, it had already been bleeding. She stood back up when she heard the beast calling out to her, she couldn't stop running. She had to keep going, he would come save her, she knew he would. If only she could remember who it was that was suppose to.

---***---

Returning to New York, they found themselves standing in front of Tzion's manor. Everything was just as they had left it. The grass was tended to, as were the other shrubs and flowers in the large yard. Interestingly enough, it looked like the manor had gotten a new paint job around the frames of the windows. Mathias was almost certain from the scent of paint in the air.

"Well, the manor is still in one piece. I guess that's a safe bet that Kailin is still asleep." Lucas said, as they walked up the stairs to the front door.

The guard said nothing to them, recognizing their faces, he let them pass.

Their first stop was Kailin's bedroom, which went unsaid between the three men. Once at the door, they all hesitated for a moment, and looked between each other. The human was the first to gather the courage to open the door, and he stepped inside with the two Hallowed behind him.

Kailin still laid on the bed in the same position they had last seen her in. On her back, her hands folded on her stomach, and her hair spread over the pillows. Kristian smiled as the three men entered, there was a hint of hope in his eyes.

"Did you find it?" He asked, standing up from the chair.

Mathias wasn't certain how Kristian knew of the stone, but didn't want to take the time to question him. He nodded at the young Hallowed. "How is she?"

"The same." Kristian responded, as he watched Nathaniel kneel beside the bed and take Kailin's hand.

"I should tell Alanna that I am back, she is probably pissed. If you don't see me again, then you know it was her." Lucas smiled, before disappearing into the hall. "Avenge my death!" They heard him yell from down the hall.

Kristian chuckled, "That wife of his has gotten bold, she was actually yelling at Tzion about where Lucas was. Akela had to come in here and control her, when she started throwing things."

Mathias smiled, then looked towards Kailin. Nathaniel was mumbling to her, and he chose not to listen to his friend's words. "Nathaniel, go feed." Mathias told him.

"No, I'm going to stay here with Kailin." Nathaniel told him.

"It's been a while since your last meal, you need to keep your strength up. It will do none of us any good if we are weak when she awakes."

Nathaniel stood from his kneeled position, "I suppose you are right."

Kristian watched him leave the room, "You going to stay here with her?"

Mathias nodded.

"Then I'll go hunt with Nathaniel, I haven't fed since you left." Kristian told him, and Mathias could tell. He looked pale and tired.

When both men were out of Kailin's room, he shut the door and took a seat in the chair next to the bed. For a moment, he debated on whether or not he wanted to hold her hand like Nathaniel had, then finally reached out for it.

"This will all be over soon, Kailin." He said, "Turns out that I was protecting you a hundred years before you were even born." The words brought a smile to his face. "I… I hope that will always be the case. Me protecting you that is."

Sliding off the chair, he fell to his knees so that he could be closer to her.

"Do you even hear me, Kailin?" His eyes fell from her face to the blanket that his elbows were rested on. He still had her hand in his own. "I wish I knew what was happening inside your mind right now." He stopped speaking when her bottom lip started to quiver, then stopped abruptly.

Dropping his head, he sighed loudly.

"She is lost." The deep voice spoke from the doorway of the room.

Mathias looked up to watch Zdenek enter and shut the door behind him, he walked over to Mathias. Pulling the chair behind him to the side, he looked down at Kailin.

"I always hated that I had to just leave her. That guilt has been on my heart since her creation. Peons can sense their master's pain, I think that is why she hates me so much. She felt my own regret for the situation." Zdenek reached out and laid his hand on Kailin's knee through the blankets, and shook it gentle.

When Mathias didn't say anything he continued to speak.

"It was my task to report her life to Tzion and write it down for her files." He watched for Mathias to understand his meaning, but the Hallowed didn't seem to. "Even when you let her escape to America."

Mathias looked up at him, "You… you knew that I had let her go? And where she was?"

Zdenek nodded, "Oh yes, me, Tzion, the Ancients. We all knew where she was, you weren't the only one watching her. She is my peon, and I love her like a daughter, even if she despises me." He frowned, "Just like Tzion loves you as his son."

"Tzion hates me." Mathias turned his eyes back to Kailin.

"Yes, he does." The confirmation surprised Mathias, "Yet, all masters love their peons to some degree. They become part of us and we part of them. Kailin is not the only child that I turned and left, you know?"

Mathias shook his head, "You were forced to leave others?"

"Oh yes, it's humorous how prophecies can turn a person into what they aren't, just because they say it will be." He smiled, "Kailin has made me proud, even though I was unable to mentor her. I tried to pass onto her as much knowledge and understanding as I could. As a fresh, she was unstoppable by any foe. Even today, I know that she still is."

Mathias dropped his forehead onto his own hands, and Kailin's fingers touched his skin. "How will she defeat me? I don't know how she can do it. If what is written is true then…"

Zdenek chuckled, "She has already defeated you."

He looked up at the old vampire with curiosity, "Already? How?"

"So many have already told you about the truth and yet you are too stubborn to listen to them. Kailin defeated you the moment you let her into your heart when she was a child. When that occurred, it was impossible for you to be the traitor." Zdenek told him, then stood from his chair. "I think it's time you let go of that lie, Mathias. It was not my place to tell you this, but if you are to protect my daughter then you should be looking for the true traitor."

"Everyone says I am the traitor, even Tzion, Eva..." Mathias snapped, as Zdenek walked towards the door.

"What Eva, Tzion, or anyone else has to say matters not, Mathias. We are given free will by the Higher Being, so that no prophecy can be set in stone until after it has come to pass. Everything can be changed by our mere will. We do not walk a straight path, there are many roads to choose from." He placed his hand on the door knob, "There is only one person in this world who can decide how the prophecies will begin and end, and you are holding her hand."

With that Zdenek stepped outside of the room, and into the hall, closing the door behind him.

---***---

After Nathaniel and Kristian returned, Mathias made his way to the Ancient's temple. The small orbs of light still glowed over head, and the long entry way was as he had left it. He made his way to the stairway and looked up to see Eva standing next to the alter. Her fingers traced the outline of Kailin's former death.

"Come to me, Mathias." She said, before he kneeled to the ground.

He made his way up the stairs, and kneeled down on one knee beside her. "I retrieved the stone, milady."
Eva smiled, "I know, it was never an option for you to fail." She kneeled down on both knees in front of him, when he offered up the stone to her. Wrapping her hands around his own that covered the stone, she kissed his knuckles. "My dear, Mathias, only you can I trust." She began.

"Why only me, milady?" He had asked the question before and never got an answer. He knew there would be no answer to this one as well. Mathias looked at his hand where she had kissed him, and then back up to her eyes.

"There is still more for you to do, before Kailin can awake. I am using all the power I have left to keep her safe from Marekio, but my power is not limitless." Her lips did not move, the words played only in his mind.

"What will you have me do, milady?"

"The stone is more then a mere gem stolen from the earth, and cut to human standards of beauty, Mathias." She reached into his hand and pulled the stone out with her index finger and thumb. "This stone contains a soul and aura. A very special, very sacred soul and aura."

"Milady?"

She smiled, "The first prophet created this stone because he foresaw it's use in his prophecies. He was a fair superior prophet then our dear Tzion, because his demon left no room for error by writing those prophecies down."

"Zdenek said that the prophecies can be changed by our will."

Eva nodded slowly, "Zdenek speaks out of turn, but he is correct. Nothing is for certain until it has happened. However, that was the beauty of the first prophet's ability, the words could change to better suit the situation, Mathias."

"Why did he create the stone and how does it work?" He asked.

"He found this gem long ago, and bound his own soul and aura to it. He wanted you to place him near Kailin's future home so that he too could watch her grow up. Like Zdenek, she was a daughter to him, even though the first two guardians were destroyed. He had foreseen that Tzion would do this, but knew that Kailin would out smart him." Eva smiled, "And she did."

Mathias smiled back.

"The stone can be used to send your own soul and aura into Kailin's mind for a short time. You will be able to speak with Kailin, and make her understand."

"Understand what?"

Eva looked deeply into his eyes, "Understand that the human soul she keeps fused to her aura is her weakness."

"What?"

"You have heard of the hours it took Kailin to be turned, haven't you?" She watched him nod, "Kailin's aura refused to let go of her human soul, though most of it escaped her body during her death, some yet remains. Her aura has fused to it, causing her torment in her own mind for all that has occurred. She now battles her aura against her soul, and the aura must be the victor. Yet, her aura is still connected to her human soul, and believes itself to be Caitlyn Bramwell, and not Kailin Drake." Eva placed the stone back into his hands.

"How will I use the stone to save her?"

Eva gave a soft grin, "You must know the name of the first prophet."

"What is his name?" He wondered why she was playing games with him.

"I do not know his name, nor does his master."

"None of the triplets know? What about Tzion?"

Eva chuckled, "Mathias, we have forgotten. Only one may know the name, and the stone told it's previous owner its secret."

Mathias heart dropped, "You mean Mihail."

She nodded her head gently.

"Mihail is dead, I felt his aura leave the area after our battle. How can I get the name now?"

"If Mihail is dead, then the stone would reset and tell you its name. Ask the stone for its name, Mathias."
"Like speak the words to it?"

Eva smiled, she seemed amused with him. "There are more ways to ask for something then by speaking the words."

Mathias looked at the large stone that appeared so small in his hands. After a few moments of trying to ask the stone for its name, he received no answer. He tried picturing the stone giving him the name, asking the stone both with words and in his mind, but nothing worked. "It's not working."

"Then Mihail yet lives, which is fortunate because he was needed years after your meeting with him."
Mathias rose an eyebrow, "Milady?"

She grinned, "I shall allow Mihail to explain what I mean."

"Do you know where he is?" Mathias asked, and stood when Eva did.

"Kashin, Russia."

He looked surprise, "Russia?"

"It's a small town, you will see why he has chosen this place when you arrive."

---***---

Mathias had to fly to Moscow, and take a five hour train ride to Rybinsk, before he was driven the rest of the way to the small town. He was told by his driver that Kashin was known for it's vodka production, and that it had one inn. The driver also told him that not many visited Kashin during the winter, after all it was just for the scenery that most went, and that the small city housed many churches.

He soon discovered that a river named Kashinka traveled through the small city, making several turns and almost loops. From the street, he could see the same river to his left and right. He arrived at night, and found his way through the city and to the inn. He wasn't exactly sure what he was looking for, but was certain he could listen to gossip within the warmth of the building. Most of the buildings in the small town were stone, including some of the newer ones.

Inside the inn, he sat himself down by the fire. He wasn't really cold, but his body could freeze much easier then humans, who could produce their own heat. Mathias spoke very little Russian, but enough to of gotten him this far. He prayed he would known enough to understand the gossip from some of the local men.

He had been right, and had over heard a conversation about several homeless living within the old warehouse. It was strange for a small town to have any homeless, especially a town that tries to attract tourist. He was thankful to pick up some information so quickly, and headed out of the inn. His hands were slightly frozen still, but he managed to find the abandoned warehouse.

He was immediately hit with the sense of hundreds of vampire auras, none of them were Hallowed. Bowery were known for living in decent sized packs, but no more then ten normally. Yet, there was more then just Bowery within the warehouse. There were Pyrrhonians and Mephis as well. Mathias swallowed, if he had to fight this group then he would surely lose, but there was no other option. He had to get inside and speak with Mihail, he could sense that aura within as well.

Stepping through the broken gate, he made his way to the door and opened it. There was no one in sight within the darkness. His eyes turned to a doorway to his right, it was the only door left open, so he followed it. After sometime he came to a large room, and was caught of guard by the mass amounts of vampires within. The windows were blacked out, and he wondered if that was their doing or that of the humans. None of them seemed overly worried that a Hallowed had entered into their private area, of course, if he was backed by hundreds of others of his kind, he wouldn't worry about a single Mephis.

One small girl stood up, and pointed to the metal stairway across the room, before she sat back down again. All the vampires were laying on each other, and seemed to not completely be within the realms of reality. It was like entering an opium den that he had often visited decades before. Their eyes were glossed over, and most were asleep, which was another oddity. At this time of night, normally vampires of these breeds would be hunting. They all seemed content to lay around, doing nothing.

When he found his way to the top of the stairs, he opened the door. He was in a small dark room alone for a moment, before the door across from him opened. Mihail's familiar figure stood in the doorway, and motioned him over.

Mathias stepped inside the only nice room in the warehouse. There was two sofa chairs near the fireplace, and a blazing fire within. The room was small, but what was left of it had books and a table.

Mihail looked much like the day he had last seen him, except his mustache was now gone. He said nothing to Mathias as he took his seat in one of the chairs. Mathias followed his lead and sat down in the other.

"I was wondering when you would find me again." Mihail finally spoke.

"You didn't hold true to your word." Mathias was perturbed that he had been tricked.

Mihail nodded, "You are lucky that I didn't though. After all, I have the name."

"The stone would of told me had you died, and I wouldn't of had to come out to this frozen hell."

The Bowery chuckled, "I suppose you are right."

"I need the name, Mihail." Mathias demanded it, he wanted to begin his long journey home.

"I know, but you will hear me out before I give into your demands." He cleared his throat, when Mathias did not respond. "It took me two weeks to dig myself out of that crack in the earth. I thank you for allowing them to bury me." He glared at Mathias, who was staring into the fire. "I knew that I wouldn't be allowed to show my face again, so I would have to hide myself until this day. I traveled for many years, my heart still broken."

Mathias looked from the fire to Mihail, he wondered what any of this had to do with the stone.

"Patience, you will understand soon." Mihail said, surprising Mathias. "I ended up in England, where I met this beautiful woman. She was married to this noblemen that wanted nothing to do with her, except to force her to bare his children. I visited her often, making up business with her husband, until we finally told each other our feelings for one another."

Mathias leaned back in his chair, he didn't want to listen to another love story from this Bowery.

Mihail ignored his thoughts, "I begged her to run away with me, I didn't want to make her into the vampire that I was. I knew she would be nothing without the stone, but I had befriended a Hallowed during my journey, and knew she would turn her."

"You wanted to turn the woman you loved into the thing you despised?" Mathias questioned.
"I wanted to be with her forever, I would not of turned her unless she agreed. Or at least that is that I thought. She always declined me, told me that she had to wait here for the return of a loved one." Mihail folded his hands on his lap, "I… I didn't understand, and soon my anger grew. I snuck into her room at night and tried to turn her."
Mathias sat forward to finish listening to his story.

"The last night I would visit before she would be completely turned, I felt the sense of a Hallowed within her room. It was a fresh, and I knew I could easily dispense of it." He seemed to stop and think for a moment before continuing, "When I got into the room, I knew immediately that it was my beloved's sister. The loved one that she had been waiting for. Though I didn't want to hurt my beloved, I didn't want to die by this Hallowed's hands. We fought."

Mathias was beginning to understand why this was important for him to know, and what Eva had said to him before.

"She was amazing in battle, better then my fight with you. We fell out of the window, and to the ground below. Before I could stand she slashed my abdomen, and I ran into the woods. I was able to heal myself, and she didn't come after me, probably thought I would eventually die, like most Bowery would." He looked at Mathias before he continued, "I thought my beloved would die now without the third bite, but I learned that she lived. I followed her to America to watch her. I wanted to approach her, but that Hallowed was always around or the Pyrrhonians…" He's eyes locked with Mathias' own, "or you."

Mathias swallowed, "Leila was your beloved, you are the father of the Mephis."

Mihail nodded, "It was me that gave the first two bites that created the first of those beasts. When I was certain I could never approach Leila, I ran away. I knew what had become of her, an evil aura with a good soul. I wanted to find a way to help her, and as you can see from the out cast vampires in this warehouse, I have found it. I have learned to settle their urges, allowing them to give me their anger and hate so I might suppress it."

"They look like the feel nothing at all." Mathias told him.

"It's still a project in progress, my friend. I fear I was too late for Leila, though. I returned in time to hear of her death, but I continue my work in her name."

Mathias looked back into the fire, and sighed. "I don't understand what I am suppose to do with this information."

"You do not know now, but you will in the future." Mihail looked into the fire with him, "When I tell you this name, I will forget it. Yet, I know my beloved Leila suffers now because of my mistake. Only your Hallowed chosen one can save her from the horrors that she suffers now." He sighed, "Dalagos." Mihail spoke the name and then reached into the inner pocket of his jacket, and offered Mathias something wrapped in a white cloth. "Now, if you will excuse me. I need to decide who feeds tonight."

Mathias nodded as he took the item offered to him, then stood from his chair before giving a bow, "Thank you, Mihail."

"No, thank you, my friend. Save Leila from her pain in whatever way it is possible. She may love another now, but I will not have her sweetness tainted."

"I did say if I ever saw you again then I would kill you." Mathias said as he stopped in the doorway.
Mihail nodded, "Yes, you did say that, didn't you?"

The Hallowed grinned, "We will call it a draw for now."

Mihail grinned in return, "For now."

When Mathias was outside the warehouse, he looked down at the item that Mihail had given him. Unwrapping it, he looked upon the holy knife that he had left with Mihail in the hole. He grinned as he placed it on his belt, he knew this would come in handy in the times ahead.

As he went to take his first steps away from the abandoned warehouse, he felt nauseous. The world around him began to spin, and he felt as if he would be sick. Dropping to his knees he tried to steady himself. Mihail, that traitor, was all he could think. What had the bowery done to him? His face fell into the snow below, as his mind left reality.