Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 38

"At least, you didn't have to deal with the ability hitting you all at once." Khaldun told Kailin, as he lifted his sword. "Of course, this is probably the easiest of all your new abilities."

"All my stolen abilities is a more accurate description." Kailin chuckled, as she stood in the grass. She was taking a moment to break from their exercises. Khaldun was teaching her more about swordplay then his actual ability.

"You didn't choose to take them, they were forced upon you. I would hardly consider that theft." Khaldun pulled the hair tie from his ponytail, allowing his hair to cascade over his shoulders. He took a moment to pull the loose hair from the tie, before putting his hair back up.

"Khaldun, you have been an elder for at most four hundred years?"

He nodded, "About that, why?"

"So, you aren't much older then Jareth and Lycorisa?"

He shrugged, "If you consider a hundred and twenty to be not much older, then I suppose not."

Kailin sat down in the grass, and Khaldun followed her. He was curious to where this line of questioning was going. "Mathias is over six hundred years older then you, right?"

Again, he nodded.

"I imagine you two as close, but how can that be if he is so much older then you?"

Khaldun grinned, "Ah, you are having difficulties deciphering my memories from your own, aren't you?"

"Yes, whenever I am near one of the elders that fed from me, I feel a rush of their emotions and the memories past onto me." She sighed, "I am starting to understand, but they seem more like my own memories then someone else's."

"Mathias and I met shortly after I was turned, he actually helped me gain control of my ability." Khaldun felt the wind blow, and knew that some of his hair had been released from his ponytail. "I owe much to Mathias… more then I could ever repay." He seemed saddened by his words.

"You feel guilty for being tricked by Tzion, don't you?"

He nodded, "I didn't want to betray him, Mathias is like a brother to me. I knew him even before I became an elder, we fought our way through together."

Kailin gently nodded her head, placing her short sword beside her. With one of her knees up, she rested her chin on it.

"Can I ask you something, Kailin?"

"What?"

He was silent for a moment, before deciding that he did want to ask. "Is Mathias the traitor? I mean you had a blood exchange with Tzion, and I know Mathias believes that he is, but…"

Her head pivoted from side to side on her knee, "Mathias would never betray me."

There was relief in his eyes that Kailin did not see, "Good, I… I always knew that he wasn't. No matter what Tzion said, I knew he couldn't betray us."

Kailin grinned, "Mathias needs to understand that it was all a lie, he was never meant to be the betrayer."

"A lie? What do you mean?"

She shrugged, "I will say no more."

"He really does care about what happens to you, and his dedication, loyalty to you is what forced the rest of us to join his cause."

Khaldun was also very aware of his friend's emotional attachment to Kailin, but he knew it wasn't his place to say anything. He had noticed it long ago, when Kailin was coming of age. He wasn't part of the group back then, but would often visit Mathias. Her sadness was strangely alluring, and one felt they knew her long before she ever spoke to them. Khaldun had felt it within moments of seeing her, sitting by the pond, and writing into her diary. It was strange to him that he hadn't recognized her when they first met in the alleyway, as he had seen her many times before. Though never had he laid eyes on her as a vampire, and had only recently joined with Mathias and the others.

The sadness remained still, and it rightfully had it's place within Kailin's life. He only wished that Kailin didn't linger so often within it. She needed to become the beacon of light for all that followed her, especially his friend. Mathias needed her to believe in him more then anyone, as he saw his friend allowing the darkness to engulf him. A darkness that was never meant to take him, he had always known that. Mathias was of a pure heart and had been tricked far too many times by his master.

"Well, well, mother, you have grown strong." The voice said from behind them.

Both Khaldun and Kailin jumped to their feet to look at Anthony. The sun was shining brightly overhead, and he shouldn't of been able to stand before them.

"Anthony… what…" Kailin stuttered.

"The gift of your blood imbued me with the ability to walk during daylight hours. I must thank you." Anthony's dark face grinned, "I only wish you had gifted me with the ability to pass it on to my peons."

"What are you doing here?" Kailin barked, and Khaldun was ready to attack.

She knew that Khaldun would not survive a battle with this Mephis, and placed her hand in front of him.

"What have I always wanted, Kailin? Leila and you as my queen." He looked towards Khaldun, "Put the sword away, you gorilla, we both know you would barely stand a moment against me."

"You forget that I am an elder."

He snorted, "And you forget that I am a Mephis, a very powerful one. Age matters not when dealing with one such as I."

"Enough!" Kailin snapped, "I have told you that I have no desire to join your side, and…"

"Kailin!" Mathias ran across the grass to stand beside her.

Lycorisa and Jareth weren't far behind him.

Anthony chuckled, "Oh yes, come thy little army of the light." He grunted, "Protect the prize with your life. Pathetic." Turning his eyes back to Kailin, he kept his grin, "I offer you the world, mother. What is it that they wish to offer you? Trickery? Slavery to an unknown cause? We are superior, mother. The world is rightfully ours to take, to control."

"No, Anthony. This world was not created for us, we were not meant to be." Kailin snapped, her words shocked all who stood within hearing range.

"You know that they have always lied. Everything you know and believe, it's been embedded in your very blood, my blood, all vampire's blood. We all believe only what the greater beings of our world have told us, but they have lied. And with each generation of vampire, the lies are past on." He grinned, "The very blood that was past onto us, does nothing more then allow them to control us."

"Who?" Kailin asked, the others were just as interested.

"You know they had the option to not give themselves control, but they wanted it. We are all nothing more then playthings to them. The blood is a lie… the blood is a control device. Can you live with the lies in the blood? In your blood? In our blood?"

"I don't know what you are talking about, Anthony!" Kailin barked.

"We will speak more on this another time, mother. You knew where you can visit me, if you wish to hear the truth." With that Anthony vanished into nothingness.

Everyone stood in silence, trying to decide what the Mephis had meant.

"He is the one that lies!" Mathias finally shouted.

Heads began to nod in agreement, all but Kailin's. When she did not agree, they all wondered what she was thinking. With a sigh, she turned her back to them, and headed for the mansion.

"Kailin?" Mathias said, wanting her to stop.

"Leave me be." She mumbled, before disappearing out of sight.

---***---

Kailin kneeled down in front of the barren rose bush, winter had come and stolen it's beauty away, but in the spring it would come to life again. Since her death, she had wished she could be like a plant, able to die for the winter only to rebirth herself. She sighed, when she heard the familiar thumping noise that had plagued her ears since she was awoken. It had started off slow, and it was still very weak. No one else had made mention of it, so they either didn't hear it or didn't know what to make of it. At first, it had only thumped once every couple of hours, but now it did so every fifteen minutes or so.

It had taken her some time to understand what it was, but she knew now. As it grew in intensity, she had begun to feel it, pounding within her chest. Anthony had done something terrible to her, something unspeakable. Placing her hand over her heart, she waited for it to beat again. She still craved the blood of humans, even with her own heart slowly bringing itself to life. What had he done to her?

Her heart was vacant, a coffin for memories she had long laid to rest. Now it was forcing itself to reawaken, like she had done after her own death. He had made her into a monster, and she needed to know what Anthony had spoken of. Things were so blurred. It seemed like no one truly understood what had taken place these past few months. Except Anthony, he seemed to know much about the prophecies… about her. He was a young vampire, yet his power was overwhelming. One could feel the radiant force that surrounded him, even the elders knew better then to attack him.

Had she done that to him? He mentioned that he fed from her, but she didn't remember allowing him to do so. It had to be before Gabrielle died, as she didn't have any memory until she witnessed Gabrielle fall to ash. She felt so numb stilling in the garden with that memory in mind.

It was a strange feeling to be so numb, and yet feel so alive at the same time. Since her awakening, she found herself more interested in the vampire world. Before she cared little to nothing about what Anthony was doing or what other plots the Hallowed had. Now, she felt a strange pull, as if she belonged now. Of course, wanting to gain revenge for Gabrielle's death was another reason she wanted to be involved. Her revenge was another confusing scenario, as she wanted Anthony to die for what he did, but she was also very interested in what he had to say.

There was another thump from her heart. Kailin realized she had kept her hand placed over her chest while she stared at the bare plant in front of her. She dropped her hand, resting her elbows on her knees.

"Am I alive or dead now?" Kailin asked the question to only herself, the words were barely audible.

Lifting up her jean pants of her right leg, she pulled a knife from her black boot. Slowly she ran the blade over her left wrist, and tried to stop it from healing. The blood ran a deep crimson red, and Kailin watched as it rolled down her wrist into her cupped hand. When her hand filled, it began to spill over and into the dirt. The blood slowly absorbed into the moist dirt, and down to the roots of the rose bush.

"What are you doing?" Mathias asked as he kneeled down beside her. He had watched Kailin run the blade back and forth over her arm every time her wound closed.

"Practicing." Kailin spoke the word slowly.

"He's lying, you know?" Mathias asked, referring to Anthony.

Her head turned slowly to stare into his eyes, "Is he, Mathias? How can you be certain?"

Her eyes pierced his own, and he felt as if she were looking into his soul. He wasn't sure how he could answer her question.

"There are liars on both sides. How can I know which way is right?" Kailin looked back at her arm that had healed, she ran the blade over it again.

Mathias reached out and plucked the knife from her hand. "Who lies on our side?"

"On your side?" She asked, even though she knew it was right. "Akela hides the truth from herself and peers, which is in itself a lie. Lycorisa lies to Jareth. You lie to yourself. Tzion lies about the prophecies."

He leaned back on his legs, "Tzion lies about the prophecies? What do you mean?"

She slowly shook her head, "You lying to yourself directly relates to that, and you know it, Mathias."

Standing up, he glared down at her and placed his balled up fists on his hips. "What the hell does that mean?"

She followed him up, and stood directly in front of him. "You aren't the betrayer! Everyone has told you that you aren't! It's so obvious that…"

"No! I am the betrayer! Tzion…"

"Tzion has lied to you, to me, to everyone who had relied on him, Mathias! Those paintings are forgeries!" Kailin barked.

Mathias stepped closer to her, and grabbed her upper arms. "No!" He shook her, "Listen to me, Kailin, I am the betrayer! I…"

"Mathias, you aren't the betrayer! Why is it so hard for you to believe? If it because Tzion tricked you into killing the previous two guardians? Is that it?"

"No, that's not it!"

"That what is it, Mathias? Tell me!"

The tight grip around her upper arms loosened. "He's my master, Kailin. They may not show it, but every master has a close connection to their peons. He knows me better then I know myself, and if he's lied all this time… well, then I just don't know what to believe anymore."

"Believe me, Mathias." Kailin looked up into his eyes, "You aren't the betrayer, you are the savior. You've been there all my life, watching and protecting me."

He shook his head, "No, Kailin, I am…"

"Mathias, I need you to stay beside me. I can't do this alone. I don't have Gabrielle anymore, I am afraid of being alone."

His grip tightened, "Don't rely on me, Kailin. Don't expect me to be here tomorrow. I'm going to let you down. The prophecies are drawing near, and you should ready yourself."

Kailin slowly shook her head, "No, Mathias. Stop telling yourself that you are the traitor. Of all the elders that could be the betrayer, you are not among them."

"Kailin…"

"You are not the betrayer."

"Listen to…"

Mathias sighed, "Please…"

He stared into her eyes for several long moments, uncertain as to what to say.
"Trust me, Mathias. I can see past the lies now. You have to stop lying to yourself, if you are going to be by my side when the time comes."

There was conviction in her eyes, she believed every word that she spoke. Mathias could feel the burden begin to lift from his back, but he didn't want to believe it. He just couldn't let the burden completely leave his shoulders, not yet. He had to be ready when the truth finally revealed itself.

"Trust me." Kailin said again.

Mathias gave a nod, "For now."

"Forever."

He was taken back by her words, and he hated himself for giving into her. The hands on her upper arms, slipped behind her back, and Mathias pulled her close to him. Gradually, he lowered his head down to her neck, and nestled his face into her soft hair and skin. Kailin wrapped her arms around his back, locking her fingers together behind him.

"I need you to be strong for me, because I'm not sure I can be. There is so much coming, and I can't do it alone. I don't care what the prophecies say, this has to be a group effort." Kailin whispered to him.

Mathias remained silent, his head still resting in the nape of her neck.

"You'll stay with me, won't you?" Kailin asked with worry in her voice. She was most afraid that he could convince himself of his betrayal, and be easily persuaded to the other side. Simply because he was lied to and knew he would betray eventually.

"I'll stay until you make me go." Mathias mumbled.

Kailin laid her head on his shoulder, "That'll never happen. I've always needed you here to protect me."

He squeezed her gently. There had to be at least just enough chance that he would betray as the other elders. Someone was going to be the one to stand against Kailin, and help Anthony. He had been the betrayer to the last two guardians, it had to be him.

Inhaling deeply, Mathias smelt the sweet scent of Kailin's skin. He had almost forgotten that she was in his arms, and even though he showed no signs of releasing her, she seemed comfortable. He dug his face deeper into her neck, and pulled her closer to him. He had always wanted to hold her in his arms, and it seemed so surreal to actually be doing so. The skin on his back tingled as Kailin ran her hands up and down, trying to comfort him, and to convince him.

As much as he wanted to remain with her this close to him, he knew that there needed to be a separation. She needed to not rely on him, he needed to put space between them. He just couldn't… what was that sound? He lifted his head up and looked down at her chest. The strange sound left his mind, when he realized that Kailin was on her tip toes, trying to hug him comfortably.

As suddenly as his mind left the thought, it returned back to the strange noise. He was certain that the beating noise came from within her.

"You heard it, didn't you?" Kailin asked him.

"Heard what?"

"The thump."

He nodded, still holding her in his arms.

Her eyes dropped, "My heart has started beating again." The words were spoken slowly, and nervously as if she wasn't certain she wanted to tell him.

"Your heart? How… how is that possible?"

Kailin shook her head, "I don't know. It's getting faster all the time, but I still have all the abilities of a Hallowed." She looked back up at him, "Think it means anything?"

"No, it's probably from the rebirth. We should talk to Tzion about it though."

She agreed, then laid her head on his chest. "No matter what, we stay together."

"No matter what." He responded.

"I… I love you, Mathias."

He didn't speak the words back to her, instead he strengthened his grip around her. Kailin knew that was as close to any admittance she would get from him, until he was certain that Tzion had lied about his part in the prophecy. After a moment, she felt him push her back some. Her eyes looked up into his, but instead of speaking, he brought his lips down to her. He kissed only the very corner of her lip, and then gently made their way to her ear and down her neck. Where he once again, rested his face into the nape of her neck.

"Don't say that ever again." Mathias mumbled, before he was shoved to the side.

"Traitor!" Nathaniel yelled, as Mathias steadied both himself and Kailin.

When he was confident they weren't going to fall, he let her go, and stood ashamed in front of his friend, "Nathaniel, I…"

"You said there was nothing! You swore to me, Mathias!" Nathaniel shoved him again. "You've deceived me! How could you do that to me? This is my wife!"

"Shut up, Nathaniel!" Kailin barked, "I'm not your wife! Caitlyn Bramwell was Nathaniel Bramwell's wife. Both of those people died along time ago, we are nothing more then demons using their dead bodies to exist on this earth!"

Nathaniel's eyes widened as he turned to look at Kailin, he seemed to of gone from furious to stunned. "You can't mean that. Kailin, I love you."

"No, you don't. Nathaniel, you have no idea who I even am, anymore. Leave me alone! Tzion was right about you not having any place in the prophecies! You don't belong here, you'll only destroy everything that we have all worked for."

"Please, Kailin, don't say that. You don't mean that. I've… I've lived all this time for you."

"No, understand, Nathaniel! You lived for Caitlyn, and she died. Get on with the life you've been given. The person standing here with Caitlin's mask on, isn't your wife, isn't your love. She is dead!" Kailin yelled, and when Nathaniel tried to grab her hand, she yanked it away.

Mathias couldn't believe the words being spoken between the two. When he watched her before she was turned, he was certain that Kailin was in love with him. She spoke often about him to her sister, and her thoughts were always with him. Something about this situation seemed wrong… it was him. He knew he would end up the betrayer.

"I've wronged you both." Mathias muttered before running away from them.

"Mathias, wait!" Kailin yelled, but before she could run after him, Nathaniel grabbed her arm.

"Kailin, please, take it back."

She shook her head, "You should find your own life now. You don't belong here, Nathaniel. Leave!" She jerked her arm from his hand to chase after Mathias.