Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(LIB:I) Chapter 39

Running through the hallways, Kailin knew she had gotten herself lost within the large mansion. With a loud huff, she collapsed against the wall, and gave into defeat. She had lost him, and probably wouldn't see Mathias again until he deemed fit. She cursed Nathaniel in her mind, before rethinking the harsh words she had spoken to him. Her head dropped, she needed to find him and apologize. They needed to speak, and Nathaniel needed to understand the truth.

She made her way back out to the garden and found it empty, her eyes wandered the horizon only to find she was truly alone. The cold winds of winter blew, and Kailin thought it strange that it hadn't snowed yet. The fall had been extremely cold and most had guessed that snow would come early that year.

She sat down on the wooden bench, and looked out at the yard. The trees had lost all their leaves, and the grass was no longer a lush green. Rubbing her eyes, she yawned, trying not to think about anything. Whenever her mind wandered it would always find itself in others' thoughts. She didn't want to know everything there was to know about the elders, and yet she did. The more time that went by the more she would remember, or at least begin to understand that it wasn't her own memory.

Folding her hands together with a loud clap, she sighed loudly. She could feel the foreboding doom hanging over her head, and knew that her time was drawing near. Her time to stand or fall, and she knew she had to prepare the others for what was to come. She wished that Gabrielle could have been there with her, if to do nothing but shrug her shoulders, and tell Kailin that she worried too much. She felt like a different person without her, and she wasn't sure if she liked it or not.

She wondered if Gabrielle would think she was a traitor to everything she believed in. Kailin always tried to stay far away from vampire politics, and even further away from other vampires. She knew now that no amount of running could help her escape what was ahead. Dropping her head into her hands, she closed her eyes tightly. She missed Gabrielle, she needed her to be by her side now. There was a void in her heart now, her heart that now beat.

"Kailin." A voice said, and slowly she brought her eyes to meet with Samuel's. His straight blonde hair fell into his eyes as the wind blew.

Kailin came to stand in front of him, "You shouldn't be here." She told him. There was no fear in her heart for this man, as she knew he would never hurt her. His eyes held no ill will, not like Anthony.

"If you worry that they will sense me, then do not fret." Samuel told her, looking towards the mansion. "I have snuck in and out of Tzion's home for many years now, and never once has he caught me."

She rose an eyebrow, "How is that so?"

"That doesn't matter right now, but what does is the truth."

"Don't try to make me believe your side, Samuel, at least respect me enough…"

He shook his head, "No, I have no desire to make you see one way or the other." Clearing his throat, he took a step closer to her. "Perhaps, I should explain myself."

Kailin looked up into his eyes, he seemed scared. "You… you were my friend once, Samuel. Are you still my friend, now?"

"I've always protected you from them, Kailin." He lifted his hand to wipes several stray hairs from her face, but thought better of it. "Do you remember when I died?"

She nodded, "Yes, of course."

"You asked me if I wanted to become a vampire, as it would be the only way I could live. Anthony ran me threw with a piece of wood debris, and I was laying on the floor bleeding to death. I agreed saying that I wanted nothing more in this world then to be with you. Do you remember?"

Kailin again nodded.

"Anthony was not dead, but instead dying not far away. You were young then and didn't realize that he needed to fall to ash in order to be completely dead." He bit his lower lip before continuing, "You risked the fire to try and turn me, but it was of no use. I had lost too much blood."

"I thought you died, had I known…."

He held up his hand to stop her, "When I awoke, Anthony had bandaged my wounds, and informed me of my transformation. We thought for many years that I was a Mephis, but I am not."

"What do you mean? You aren't a Hallowed."

Gently he shook his head, "I belong to neither, but to both. Do you understand?"

"No."

He grinned at her honesty. "Listen." Reaching out his hand, he placed it behind her head and pulled her close to him. Kailin rested her ear against his chest, and heard the faint sounds of a heart beat.

Shocked, she jumped back. "How… how can that be, Samuel?"

"I am not sure, and I was never completely certain. Even after reading all of Tzion's prophecies, I have never come across an answer. All that I know is I am neither Hallowed nor Mephis, yet I am both. Do you not sense me here? I feel like both, do I not?"

"When I saw you before though in the warehouse, you felt like a Mephis. In the sewers, I could of sworn there was…"

"You felt what you wanted too. That is how I can enter in and out of Tzion's home undetected. He does not feel anything but Hallowed around him, so is not bothered by my presence." Samuel dropped his head, "This is what you have become, I can sense it."

"What… what about Leila?"

He nodded, "Though she has no aura, she too has become as we. Though she is much darker, she feels different. Perhaps, it is became she was a Mephis, first… where we were both Hallowed."

"But, hers was done differently…" Kailin swallowed, "She received my blood for her rebirth, and I received hers. That's how we have changed, but what about you? You were not resurrected."

"Yes, I was. Though I died during my turn into a Hallowed, Anthony managed to catch my aura in a moment before it left my body. Somehow, he manage to hold it hostage within my corpse long enough to call forth a demon soul. He swears that I was still alive when you left me, but I am not so certain."

"You think, he used some sort of ability to hold your aura captive and summon a demon soul?"

He shrugged, "I do not know, Kailin. If I did, then perhaps I would be able to name that which I have become."

She remained silent, and watched as he thought on his next words.

"I come to you now, simply because the battle grows near. Soon, we must all choose which side we belong. Truth be told, Anthony knows much more then most of these elders. Though, he has no desire but to control you, and destroy all other vampires. I am beginning to believe that is why we have transformed."

"How could he destroy all vampires?"

"All but the Mephis. The blood of the queen, the mother, the savior, and the father are needed. They will combine and cause a destruction of Hallowed, Pyrrhonian, and Bowery."

"How?"

"I do not know how. Anthony does not trust me as much as he would like to lead on. Kailin, if he were to do this, it would blacken the sky, and humans would eventually perish. No one would survive, this is something that Anthony does not understand."

"He called me the mother and the queen, does that mean Leila and me?" She asked, trying to ignore the repercussions of the spell. There was no need to get ahead of herself.

"Yes, and the one who has watched over you as well as the only who helped create the first Mephis."

She rose an eyebrow, "That's impossible, I killed the Bowery that bit Leila."

"No, you did not. I would speak to Mathias on this."

Trying her hardest, she kept herself calm, "And what of the savior?"

"This is where I have tried to help you. Anthony believes that Tzion is the savior, as that is what he has written. I do not know what this strange blood would do if added to the ritual. It may weaken it or it might even neutralize it. Perhaps, worst yet, the strange blood may make the ritual go erratic."

"I see." Kailin responded, "And what of these lies in our blood that Anthony spoke of?"

"Reading the prophecies is just like the humans reading the bible. A thousand different people can read it a thousand different times, and each come up with a thousand different meanings. Anthony sees lies, where Tzion sees a truth. They both preach from the same book."

Kailin nodded, "Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

Samuel shook his head, "I stand on his side, because I have no other place to be. Do try to forgive me for my treachery, Kailin. I just want you to know that I am certain that you belong on this side. Ignore all the words that have been spoken to you, even mine. Only you know the ultimate truth, as the Higher Being gave you that ability. You've always been the one who knew where you needed to be and who you needed to be. No one else can tell you how."

"Alright." She agreed. Though she hadn't truly spoken to him in such a long time, she still felt as close to him as she did the day he died.

Samuel looked hesitant as if he wanted to say more, but then turned to leave. Kailin grabbed his arm at the elbow, and turned him to look back at her.

"Stay here. You don't have to be with Anthony."

He slowly shook his head, "Unlike the one before me, I know my place and it is not by your side. I came to terms with that long ago. Even if I joined your cause, it would not be for the reason that you desire."

"You mean because of our relationship, don't you?"

"I'm sorry, but I can not stand idly by and watch the only woman I have ever loved with another."

She let go of his arm, dropping it to her side. "Thank you, Samuel."

"Defeat him, so we can end all of this."

She bobbed her head up in down in agreement, staring off into the distance. "Until we meet again, then?" Her eyes went back to him.

He had dropped his head, and looked down at the dead plants below. "If fate were only so kind." Lifting his head up, he smiled to her, and she returned the gesture.

Kailin leaned forward and kissed his lips gently. He smiled at her again, before walking towards the mansion gates. Watching him disappearing into the distance, Kailin was relieved that he was still her ally. In Boston, he had done much more then most humans would have to protect her from Anthony. Even though he was not a hunter and was almost completely naïve to the situation, he still stood beside her.

She felt guilt that she had been the one to try and turn him. There was a sadness in his eyes that she had never before seen. Samuel had always been such a light hearted person, and now he was a darkened soul.

"Defeat him, so we can end all of this." She mumbled the words to herself, they had brought her such confusion.

Did he mean so that these prophecies would end? What would end when this was finished? And when it was over, what would she do? Her life could never again be the same.

"Hey." She heard someone say.

Kailin looked to her left to see Nathaniel, he was standing with a suitcase in hand. "Hey." She responded, "I need to talk to you."

He nodded his head, "Yeah, I know."

---***---
Kailin found herself in Tzion's library as were several of the elders. It had been a week since she had seen Samuel, and it had been relatively quiet around the mansion. Nathaniel had decided to leave, even after she had spoken to him. They talked about the past, and he seemed to come to terms with their feelings towards one another. Their love belonged to their human souls, and their aura's only remembered it's existence.

Nathaniel admitted that he was not in love with her anymore, and had lied to himself. After all that he had done for her, he just didn't want to admit that his love for her no longer dwelled in the depths of his heart. She saw the anger that he carried for Mathias still shining within his eyes, he felt betrayed, and it was understandable. No one had mentioned Nathaniel's disappearance. Mathias hadn't spoken to her since that fateful day, and kept himself hidden.

Except now, he was forced to make an appearance, yet he stood in the corner of the room. Keeping his distance from her, whenever she moved, he would arrange himself around the room so that she could not make her way to him with ease. Kailin wondered why he was acting so childish. Was it something that she had said or possibly Nathaniel catching them? There would be no answer for her until she spoke to him.

Khaldun was looking between her and Mathias, seeing the uneasiness in their eyes. "Mathias angry about something?" He asked her.

Kailin shrugged her shoulders, "Who knows." She looked up when Tzion entered in the library.

He asked everyone to take a seat around the table, and they complied to his request. Taking his own seat between Akela and Mathias, he folded his hands on the table. The only elders missing were the triplets, and Kristian had come along like a puppy following it's owner.

"I have received word that the Mephis are preparing a ritual that would destroy all of us." Tzion began, "There are still certain pieces needed before they can finish it, but we have no time. I'm afraid that Kailin's training must end, we must act now."

"What do you mean a ritual?" Mathias questioned, "Destroy us all as in vampires or everyone?"

Tzion shrugged, "That is all my informant gave me."

Kailin remembered Samuel's words, "Just vampires other then Mephis." She told them, everyone eyes fell on her. "It is a ritual that will combine the blood of the mother, the queen, the father, and the savior." She looked up from her hands to Tzion, "When the blood is mixed it will destroy Hallowed, Pyrrhonian, and Bowery. Leaving behind the Mephis to rule over mankind."

"How do you know this?" Tzion demanded the answer.

"I spoke with Samuel, he was here about a week ago. He wanted to…"

"Why did you not tell us of this sooner?" Tzion barked.

Her eyes went from guilty to enraged, "It was none of your business until now. When I come across information, I will give it to you when I see fit, and not a moment sooner!"

Tzion glared across the table at her, "He was here? In my home and that Mephis went undetected? And how can you possibly believe anything that he says?"

Leaning back in her chair, Kailin crossed her arms, "Yes, he was here. And he is not a Mephis."

"The hell he isn't." Kristian snapped.

"He is neither Mephis nor Hallowed. Something bizarre occurred when Anthony tried to turn him, his heart still beats, but he is a vampire." Kailin sat up, and scooted forward in her chair. "How I came across this information isn't important anyway. If they are close then we do need to act quickly. What do you suggest, Tzion?"

He tried to decide on whether he wanted to question her further, or allow it to die. Folding his hands again, he sighed, "We have located three major entrances to the Mephis lair. In the morning we should begin our attack. I suggest morning because the sun will be up, and we will be able to escape them easily if we are overwhelmed."

Kailin gave a nod, "Sounds good to me."

Lycorisa and Jareth, who had remained rather quiet, also gave their nod of approval.

"Kailin isn't ready for this." Mathias growled.

"I agree with Mathias." Khaldun chimed in, "I don't think that…"

"I have been fighting Mephis proficiently the majority of my vampire life, if anyone isn't ready it's you two." Kailin barked. "Besides, we don't have any more time for training. We have to act now. Before my rebirth, they collected quite a bit of blood from me. That is what they will use in the ritual. I am not sure who this father is that they speak of, but I am guessing that it's Anthony."

Akela stood from her chair, "Then I suggest we get our sleep, I doubt that we will all make it back tomorrow."

Kailin stood with her, "I doubt we all will as well."

Both Kailin and Akela left the room together. Mathias was shocked that Kailin was so willing to follow Tzion's plan. She had never wanted to be part of vampire society, and now she was practically leading them. Then again, she must of just given in to her fate. Mathias watched as the others left the room, and he stood along side Khaldun.

"What do you think?" Khaldun asked him.

He shrugged his large shoulders, "I think we protect Kailin no matter what… like we always have. She made the decisions before she knew we were there, and she is making them now that she does."

Khaldun gently nodded his head in agreement, "Alright, but I meant… are you going to talk to her? She's right, you know? We all might not make it back tomorrow."

Mathias turned his eyes from the door to the large man beside him, "Shut up."

With a large smile on his face, Khaldun left Mathias alone in the library. His solitude was short lived, as Zdenek entered in as soon as Mathias took a seat.

"I expected Kailin to fight that… it is rather unnerving to see her give into her fate, don't you think?" Zdenek asked, and took a seat in the sofa chair by the unlit fire place.

Mathias had dropped his head into his hands, and looked up after Zdenek has finished speaking. "She is different now. It's not the same woman that I've been protecting all these years."

"Does it bother you? She has finally accepted her role as guardian, no longer trying to lie to herself. If only we were all able to acknowledge our mistakes, and repair the damage we have done." Zdenek crossed his legs, and kept his back to Mathias.

"We are speaking about me now, aren't we?"

He nodded his old head, "It all begins in the morning. Are you ready to accept your part in the prophecy, Mathias? You have no more time."

"I am the traitor, I came to terms with that long ago."

Zdenek chuckled, "I see, then she will fail."

He straightened himself up in the chair, Mathias cocked his head to the side, "She will fail, why?"

"Eva, Kailin, and I have already explained that to you. We must all accept our roles in the game that our gods are playing. When a knight believes himself to be a rook, then you will ultimately lose." Zdenek folded his hands over his knees.

"Are you telling me that if I do not accept that I am not the traitor tonight, then Kailin will die tomorrow?"

"Maybe not die, but Anthony will succeed. The rest of us could very well perish if his ritual works." He turned his head slightly, so he could see Mathias out of the corner of his eye.

He shook his head, "I don't want to be the betrayer."

"If you continue to think that you are, then you will be. Thus making two betrayers, and no savior for Kailin." Zdenek spoke the words slowly, "You know within every fiber of your being that you were not created to deceive Kailin, as you would never do anything to harm her."

"The betrayer may not even know that he is…"

"The one who is set on harming Kailin knows by now that they are. They have made the conscious thought."

"How do I know what you say is true? I can't afford to be wrong about this." Mathias stood from the hard chair.

Zdenek cracked a grin, "Go speak with her. Give her that gift you had made, and see the truth for yourself. Kailin is must wiser then you may think she is. It is only in recent months that she has come to acknowledge this wisdom and use it to her own advantage."

Mathias reached into his coat pocket and felt the gift box inside, he wondered how Zdenek know of it. He hadn't told anyone that he had had it made, and had nearly forgotten about it.

"You must know your place by sunrise, or all is lost. Kailin is not the only one who can force a failure."