Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 53: Dignity and Honor

In the morning hours, Lenore had taken her meal in her study and she thought over what her plan would be in her brother's trial. The evidence was rather damning and that meant she would have to make use of the badges that the Headmaster had given her. She had to decide who would be her deputies.

She, of course, thought of the advisers but there was a distinct lack of diversity there. Some part of her wondered if any of them had something to gain in her father's death. However, she couldn't be bothered to look deeper into those thoughts at the moment.

Time had been allotted for her to investigate as the Mondues did so as well. She knew they weren't purposefully looking to damn her brother, and there only duty was to find evidence no matter who it pointed to. Yet, she couldn’t' help but think to bribe them to look deeper into her brother's innocence. Of course, if that was discovered it would only make her brother look even more guilty and make it seem like she was party to her father's death.

It was merely a desperate thought anyway. She wouldn't really bribe the investigators especially because she had been named one now herself. Doing all this alone would not save her brother and she needed to find help soon.

A knock came to the door, and before she could tell them to enter the door opened. The Queen poured in and shut the door behind her before rushing over to the chair in front of Lenore's desk. Sitting in her purple dress, she folded her hands gently on her thighs and remained quiet. A scent of lavender filled the air around them.

The normally aggressive Aletta seemed to be playing a different role in these moments, and it not only seemed suspicious but it scared Lenore on many levels. Her head down and attempt to show signs of respect such as not speaking without being asked to speak by someone of greater power than your own.

“What is it, milady?” Lenore finally asked when nothing was said for several moments. For a moment, Lenore thought that the Queen had sought her out for comfort.

Sitting with her head down, Aletta slowly lifted her head and looked into Lenore's eyes. “He did not kill his father.” She spoke softly.

“I know...” Before Lenore could respond completely Aletta hurried to stand up and ran around the desk.

As Lenore sat in her seat, Aletta fell to her knees and rested her hands on the arm rest. “Please, Lenore, please spare my son. Allow us to flee Ronea, and we will never return. You will be Queen and you will hear nothing of us again. I beg of you.” She began to sob.

Lenore licked her lips and she sat perturbed by these events. Obviously, the Queen thought that she was behind her father's death and that she was doing this to her brother. “You think that I am behind all that has befallen you?”

Aletta remained silent, except for the occasional sob but that answer was loud enough. It was an answer that enraged Lenore's heart.

Standing up, Lenore walked over to the door and opened it slowly as she spoke. “I will ensure that my brother is released, but as King not some murderer on the run. Now, leave.”

The only reason Aletta stood from her knees in those moments was because the door had been opened. Her pride would not allow someone outside of the family to see her on her knees. “You speak with dignity and honor, but we both know you have neither.” Aletta told her as she walked passed her and out into the hallway.

Shutting the door, Lenore leaned against it and took a deep breath. She needed to create her plan and set it in motion today. Too many people were moving pieces on the chess board and she needed to ensure she moved them more quickly.
---***---

Ophelia stood in Piera's room as she helped her pack several bags. She was worried that she might forget something, and kept asking her over and over if she had remembered to pack certain items.

In the corner of the room, Xyles stood with his arms folded across his chest. He had a full beard and Ophelia always thought it was to hide a scar on his lip that could barely be seen over his mustache. She had passed Xyles several times in the hall as he visited his son often, but he had never so much as made eye contact with her. As it were, he still had not looked at her.

Ophelia feared sending Piera away with the man even if it was by Lenore's orders. However, there was little she could do and she understood why Piera had to leave. It was better for her to go into hiding now before anyone knew the truth then to run away with the dogs on your trail.

“Will there be blankets? Should we pack a couple?” Ophelia asked as she picked up a small blanket from the bed.

“We are making it appear that I am going somewhere to rest. We should not take anything that makes it appear that I have run away.” Piera informed her and looked to Xyles who gave her a firm nod that he agreed.

“I cannot believe what happened to Lenore's mother is happening to you.” Ophelia swallowed once she realized there was nothing more to pack away. She didn’t want to let her friend go this soon as she had only found out when she arrived that morning.

Piera sat on the bench at the end of the bed, “Xyles won't be stealing my child from me. I will be with them for as long as I am away.” She sighed, “Remember to say goodbye to my brother for me. He'll understand if you simply tell him that you are not able to speak on the matters. It is truly one of his best qualities.”

“Not caring about others?” Ophelia snorted.

“Allowing people their privacy and not pushing someone to break their word.” Piera corrected her and held out her hand.

Taking her hand on her own, Ophelia stood in front of her. “I will tell no one about the baby or who took you. My word will never be broken.”

Piera smiled, “I know. I trust in you with all my heart, and that is why I am glad you are here. I would have hated to leave without saying goodbye to at least one person.” A tear formed in her eye but she was quick to wipe it away. “I can not even say goodbye to my own husband and I may never see him again.”

“Krius will speak to him on the matter. Worry not.” Xyles told her in a monotone voice though he was trying to comfort her.

“At least, I have that blessing.” Piera held Ophelia's hand even tighter. “Even though I want him to know if I never return do not tell my brother about the child. I know this is a huge burden that I place upon you, but I told you before I knew the world would come to this.”

“Why must he never know?” Ophelia seemed confused.

“My brother may not seem it, but family is very important to him. If he learned that I had had Lesatan's son or daughter, he might try to locate us. If he did, his loyalty to the throne and to being in one's place would dictate that the child's place was on the throne, and I can not allow that to happen.” She sighed, “Whoever would be on the throne at that time would not willingly hand it away. So, he must never know.”

Ophelia frowned, “That seems like an awful lie to keep from the child's uncle.”

“It is a lie forged in safety on the unborn, not told maliciously. You are a guardian of my child, Ophelia. Your one duty in this world is to never reveal the existence of Lesatan's heir to anyone. Do you understand this sacred duty?” Piera looked up into her eyes.

“I understand, and I give my word.” Ophelia lowered her head.

“We will leave soon.” Xyles interrupted their conversation. “Say your final goodbyes.”
---***---

Lenore made her way down the stairs and passed the guard who immediately stood up from his chair. He grabbed it and brought it over to the cell that held Lesatan before running back over to his place in front of the door.

Before sitting down, Lenore spoke to the guard. “I am here as his advocate. Please give us time alone.”

The guard bowed his head, “A half an hour is all I am allowed to give before I must return, milady.”

“Very well.” She slowly sat down and looked into the cell where her brother was laying on his back on the bed. He held a book over his head and did not look over to her. “Are you well?” Lenore asked.

Lesatan placed the book on his chest and turned her head toward her. “As well as one can be in this situation. So, you are my advocate.”

“Is that a burden to you?” Lenore asked as she crossed her arms over her chest.

“On the contrary, I asked the Headmaster to convince you to do so.” He smirked when he saw the surprise come over his sister's face. “It would be very easy for me to have you as my judge. You claim my innocence no matter how much the evidence is stacked against me. However if that were to happen everyone would assume my guilt until the day I died. Of course, then I thought that Lenore probably wouldn't let emotion stand in her way and she would certainly allow my execution, no matter how much she believed me innocent. However, then she would rule and everyone would think she had me killed for the throne, and that can not be as civil war would most likely begin.”

“You thought this through quite quickly then.” Lenore dropped her hands to her lap.

“Indeed, you are better served at my side. No matter the outcome you would look like you tried your best for my freedom. If I die you can take the throne with little to no rumblings.” Lesatan sighed.

Lenore's brows came together, “Are you thinking of your country before yourself, Lesatan? I must say I am shocked.”

He chuckled sadly, “Yes, who would have thought it would take being accused of murdering my father to make me a decent leader.”

“Well then, I have a request.” She watched him sit up before she began to speak. “I have been given rights as an investigator which means I can higher deputies as well. I do not want anyone from the Royal House involved as they have agendas, so it must be my friends from South Dorm. You must release me from my oath.”

Lesatan swallowed hard, “I suppose you are right. As much as I would like to argue, now isn't exactly the time. Very well, the oath is broken. I hope your trust isn't misplaced.”

“It is not.” She spoke confidently.

“Where will father be buried?” Lesatan asked suddenly as if trying to change the subject.

“They have returned his body to Arthes. He will be buried in the Hall of Heroes instead of the Family's Hall as per his wishes. His body will be put to rest beside Varden's.” She watched his face for any pain but he showed none.

“At least he has a friend waiting for him.” He spoke as if trying to comfort himself.

“A friend he had wanted to see for a very long time.” She tried to add to that comfort.

Lesatan frowned, “Missing my own father's funeral will be a loss in my heart for all my life. Will you not be there either?”

“No, Aletta and Damek appear to want to stay here. Uncle has yet to receive the letter I am certain, so unfortunately our Grandmother will be alone.” Lenore tried not to show any pain in her words though they were there.

Lesatan nodded, “Why am I being punished, Lenore? Who...”

“I'll find out. Just trust in me, I swear.” Lenore stood from her chair. “Krius will be by later, he had news for you that I felt would be better spoken by him.” With that, she headed for the stairs without another word to her brother.

---***---

The garden of South Dorm was filled with chatter. Everyone was speaking of the King's death and how Lesatan was behind it all. No one seemed surprised that he would be willing to kill his father, and everyone agreed he should be beheaded. Everyone that is except for a small core of individuals at the dorm who were more concerned with what the truth was in this case.

Jolon sat at the back of the dorm away from everyone. He could hear the stream in the distance and sighed to himself as he thought. He wanted to tell all those girls to silence themselves; that they had no idea what they were talking about, but he knew it was he that needed to remain silent.

“...from us?” A voice entered into his thoughts.

Jolon turned his head quickly and looked at Saena who was sitting down beside him with a look of concern on her face. “I did not hear you.”

“Why are you sitting so far from us?” She asked again as she leaned against the pillar next to her.

He shrugged his shoulders. “I can not listen to them go on about Lenore's private matters for another moment.”

“It is not really private matters when the entire nation is speaking on it. It is not private when it affects everyone in the nation either.” Saena frowned. “This is a great concern to everyone here. If Lesatan is found guilty and Lenore named as crowned princess, things could become very complicated. Sons and fathers could die in a bloody battle for the throne.”

“I understand what is at risk, Saena, I just don't want to hear the opinions of those that have no first hand knowledge on the matter.” He sighed when he watched her cross her arms. “Every time they discuss Lenore it is as if their opinions start to dilute what I know of her.”

“Know of her? She abandoned us. I do not care the reasons. She made us believe in a Royal for the first time in ages and then maliciously destroyed our faith in her. I thought for a time that she had a reason and that I could forgive her, but her continued abuse towards Ophelia and outright apathy towards Santh is something that can not be forgiven.” She had to calm herself down as she listened to Jolon speak.

He lowered his eyes toward the ground, “Lenore and I were never very close. We spoke a handful of times, however Ophelia warned us of the abuse the Prince would place upon us when we first arrived at this school. We received very little and some part of that was Santh, but I know that a great deal of that was Lenore herself. I also know that the girls here working on their third years are also unmolested and that has to be Lenore's doing.”

“Those are assumptions.”

He shook his head, “Whether Lenore was using us for entertainment or lied to us for some reason or another, it doesn't matter to me. I always knew that someday she, Routine, and Remus would all look away from me. I wouldn't matter to them anymore, but I do know one thing for certain; Lenore's protection of us was real. Lenore building this place with us was real. I do not care what reason she had behind it, and right now that person is suffering and people are talking about her like she was never here at all.”

Saena thought for a moment before pressing her lips together. “I didn't realize that you cared so much about Lenore.”

“I didn't think I did, but I am worried for her. No matter who you are in this life having a father murdered and a sibling accused of it must be difficult, especially if what Lenore said was true about the Royals.”

She raised an eyebrow, “What did she say?”

“She always said there were no friends amongst them just opportunists. Which means she is all alone in those dorms, and none of us can reach her to help in the slightest.” He turned his attention to the stream in the distance. “As much as I want to believe she was a monster because it was easy, I simply can not. I remember too much of her that was good.”

---***---

“What do you think?” Remus asked as he stood at the side of the bed and looked at the man sitting in it. A slight grin was on his face as he felt somewhat relieved to have finally spoken out loud his thoughts. Swaying from one foot to another he waited for a reply.

Routine had his desk over his lap and was reading a scroll. He slowly lifted his head and frowned as he looked disgusted that this conversation was even occurring. “This would put me in an precarious situation.” He returned his attention to the scroll as if saying he was done with this discussion.

Remus chuckled, “Are you not already? The scandal to learn that you married a woman just so the Merchant's Guild leader would have her to himself? How could you ever be taken seriously in the future if that were to come out? This way assures that future never occurs.”

Still reading the scroll, Routine did not respond to his friend and that was acknowledgment enough that he agreed.

“See!” He pointed at his friend, “Do not worry if I go through with this, then I will find you the perfect wife. She'll be dead on the inside too.”

Removing his eyes from the scroll, Routine glared up at him. “What of our parents? They barely tolerated the King ending my engagement to Lenore. This would be a great insult to them, and your father would suffer for it.”

“Why do you talk like that now?” Remus crossed his arms. In his heart was jealousy as it seemed to him that the longer Routine was engaged to Ophelia the more he seemed human. This was not beneficial to Remus' plans and he was honest enough with himself to know why he was taking this course of action. He couldn't stand it if Ophelia and Routine actually fell in love and left him as the third party. “Where are the big words and acting as if you are above us all?”

He did not respond and returned his attention to the scroll. He seemed uninterested in everything that Remus had to say. Which only sparked Remus' jealousy further, but he knew better than to acting rudely. He needed Routine on his side in these moments.

Sighing, Remus crossed his arms. “Fine, I take your point. There must be a way that you could end your relationship with Ophelia and they would be understanding. However, it would have to be in a way that Ophelia does not seem as if she is the corrupted party.”

With annoyance in his eyes, Routine glared up at him once more. “I will simply say that I grew tired of her. I have been known to be fickle with relationships.”

Slapping his hands together, Remus bounced slightly because catching himself. “Perfect. That would make you look like... well, you. Ophelia would walk away clean and then I would leave the Merchant's Guild and join her at the fortress.”

Routine snorted, “You speak as if this is not a fantastical conversation we are having. You will never leave that position for someone else to take.”

Something in his heart told him that Routine was unwilling to let Ophelia go. He thought perhaps his friend actual had feelings for his own love, but the idea of asking him was preposterous. Routine did not have romantic feelings for people, however he did become possessive of those he thought close to him. Which, of course, would cause issue if Ophelia were to marry him.

“Fantastical or not, I need your word that you will step aside if I send a letter to my father that I will not be the next guild master.” Remus crossed his arms and felt his heart pound wildly in his chest for fear that he would be denied.

Routine nodded his head slowly, “Very well. If you manage to end your rise to power which you have been training for your entire life, I will step away from my engagement to Ophelia.”

“Stop talking like a normal person.” Remus snapped, “Also, thank you. I appreciate that you are willing to end our deal.”

Rolling up the scroll, Routine stood up. “Yes, well, you have the largest step to take now.”

“Lenore!” Ophelia ripped open the door. “Lenore is in the courtyard. Hurry!” She began to run down the hall with a smile across her lips.
---***---

Standing in the courtyard, Lenore watched as all of her old friends slowly filtered out of the dorm to either stand before her or wait back on the platform.

Santh stayed behind and crossed his arms as he leaned on a pillar and Remus remained next to him with a skeptical look on his face. Ophelia and the two commoners rushed to stand before her while Routine also came forward but at a much slower pace. Some of the other dorm mates seemed to read the room quickly and hurried off to their rooms away form the courtyard.

“Lenore,” Ophelia said with joy and hope in her voice. “what are you doing here? Is everything alright? I mean, of course, everything is not alright, but are you alright?”

The Princess' eyes were deadlocked with Remus' as she knew he could be the life or death of this moment. Turning her attention to Ophelia, she began to speak. “I have been placed in charge of the investigation of my brother's case. I need deputies to assist me in the matter.”

“Why us?” Jolon asked in such a light voice as he seemed scared to even speak to her.

“No one in the Royal Dorms can be trusted. I believe that my brother was framed for my father's murder, and I must prove this before the court.” She held up a small bag she was carrying at her side. “I have badges from the Headmaster, therefore you will be given investigative rights if you wish to assist me.”

Routine held out his hand but said nothing.

Reaching into the bag, Lenore removed one of the badges and placed it gently in his hand.

“I will look through Souchan files, perhaps there is something documented.” Routine told her as he placed the badge on his belt.

“They claim my brother was mailing The Brotherhood. Check the mail room first. I appreciate it, as the Souchans might not take lightly to a Royal digging around in their headquarters.” Lenore looked to Ophelia. “Will you help?”

“Of course.” She held out her hand as quickly as she could lift it.

“Are you all insane?” Remus snapped from behind them as he rushed over to Ophelia's side and shoved her hand down. “Do you remember what she said to us? She is just using us all over again! Why would you even consider helping this bitch?”

Santh walked down from the platform and placed his hand on Remus' shoulder before putting his hand out. “I'll assist as well.”

Remus' jaw nearly dropped as Lenore handed a badge to Santh followed by Ophelia. Jolon and Anton were next and therefore he was the only one without. “This is ridiculous! I can not believe that you would simply forgive her for what she has done.”

“Leave it alone, Remus.” Santh snapped. “If you do not wish to be a part of this that is your decision. However, do not disparage the rest of us from helping.”

“Ophelia go with Routine as another Souchan they will be less hostile towards you.” Lenore ordered. “Jolon, I need you to go to the main gate tonight at dusk. A man will give you a package, I need you to return it to me at once. Take Harona, Anton, and Saena with you as it will look like an outing.”

They both nodded.

“Santh, gather Authin and bring him to the Royal Dorms tonight. I need fresh eyes on the evidence as I am at a loss.”

Santh raised an eyebrow, “Why Authin?”

“He is a Royal even if thrown from the dorms, he has a right to enter to get items from his room. With you there, it will appear that he is simply bringing you along for protection. This way the guards, if loyal to the killer, will not inform them of any of our activities.” Lenore explained.

“You believe that the killer is still on site?” Ophelia asked.

“If not on site than he has eyes. I believe that there was a reason my father was killed, my brother implicated, and I remain unharmed. Unless, he is plotting something against me in the far future, but that would look suspicious of the next heir.”

“Which is?” Jolon asked.

“Damek Tahan, my cousin.”

---***---

“No, I will not allow you to go through with this.” Remus barked as he watched Ophelia dress herself to go with Routine. “Running around acting like a spy for that monster; it's ridiculous!”

Ophelia remained calmed as she understood his feelings of anger and pain. “Since you are the person that felt betrayed the most, I understand why you would be hesitant to help. However, no matter what happened we can not allow an innocent man to die, even if it is Prince Lesatan.” She turned around to face Remus who was leaning against the dorm in an attempt to bar her in.

Crossing his arms, Remus took offense to her words. “Most betrayed? I do not feel betrayed! She is someone that simply uses people and tossing them aside when she is done. She is not our friend. She is no one's friend and you all are just allowing yourselves to be used all over again.”

“Remus, please...” She sighed when he continued to speak and not allow her to have her say in the conversation.

“I will not allow you to go through that pain again. You are merely getting your hopes up that she might actually be the person who always wanted her to be.” He shook his head and leaned his back harder against the door.

Licking her lips, Ophelia pulled her hair into a ponytail and exhaled loudly. “Perhaps, you should take a moment to stop blindly following your anger and instead take a moment to look around.”

“Look around? At what?” Remus' annoyance was showing more and more as his voice slowly began to rise.

“At the world around you, Remus. Stop being so damn selfish and stubborn. Look at what is really happening.” She walked over to him and placed her hand on his shoulder. “There might be more here than you believe.”

He snorted and he tightened his crossed arms. “Selfish and stubborn? Ha! You are naïve and ignorant.”

“Those are pretty much the same thing.” Ophelia patted his shoulder and squeezed as she tried not to chuckle at him. “Remus, I do not expect you to understand, but this is something I must do. I believe there was a reason that Lenore left us, and if I follow this path I might be able to find out what that is.”

“But Lenore...”

“Even if you are right, I need to know the truth.” She interrupted him. “If you are right and I am naïve then I need to see the truth with my own eyes. I have to know, so please step aside.”

Remus swallowed harshly but held his ground. “If you had been in trouble she never would have stepped outside of that dorm to help you. So, why play spy for her and her kin? Why do something for her that she would never do for you?”

Ophelia lowered her head for a brief moment and then looked back up to him. “I do not believe that is true. I believe she has been helping us. Who else would pay for Anton's school fees? There has to be more to her.”

He slowly shook his head.

“Routine is waiting for me. He will come to get me, and if he can't open the door then Santh will. Step aside, Remus.”

Biting his lower lip, Remus moved away from the door. “Do not cry on my shoulder when she breaks your heart again.”

Ophelia nodded her head. “Very well. It seems there will be plenty of shoulders that believed in her available if your beliefs come to pass.”

---***---

Night had fallen in the little hamlet and the group of four had made their way to the gate where they were to wait. Harona and Saena had been giggling the entire journey there about how they felt like spies, but once they arrived a sense of danger set in.

The Mondue guards were not at this particular gate as if they had not been scheduled or perhaps paid to leave as there was no sign of a struggle. Jolon stood next to the crate with a painting of a snake eating a rodent on it as he had been directed by Lenore's notes.

For an evening, the hamlet was rather quiet. Though some of the market goers could be heard in the distance they knew they were a distance away from the bulk of the population. It didn't occur to anyone that their mission could be dangerous as they never thought Lenore would send them on such an errand.

“I do not like this.” Saena mumbled under her breath as she looked around the empty area. It was nothing more than a dirt path, several buildings making up the small area, and a few crates. In truth, none of them knew this gate that exited the hamlet had existed until Lenore gave them directions to it.

“Are we certain this is where Lenore told us to go?” Anton asked and motioned toward the paper that he knew Jolon had in his pocket.

There was only one burning torch near the gate and the rest of the area was dark, so Jolon had to move closer in order to look over the notes. When he finished reading them, he nodded and returned to his crate. “I am certain.”

To Harona the odor was unpleasant even though there didn't seem to be any people that could give off a smell. She placed her hand over her face as she tried not to breathe too much. “That smell is dreadful.”

The others did not seem bothered by it and turned their attention to her, before Saena spoke. “Ah, you've probably never lived around a tanner before. It is just the smell that goes with making leather.”

“It's still horrendous. No wonder Lenore didn't want to come here herself.” She gagged slightly when she spoke.

The group fell quiet and their minds were left to wander as they thought of all the possible outcomes of the situation they were in. Of course, they did not know who they were sent to meet and only that they were to retrieve something from him and return it to Lenore. She had been vague and only now were they realizing they should have asked more questions.

Saena wrapped her arms around Jolon's own arm and buried her face in his shoulder. When Anton saw that he turned his attention to Harona and realized she must have been scared as well. Though he merely placed his hand on her shoulder and smile gently to give her comfort.

“Are you Jolon?” A man's voice came from the dark and startled the entire group as they tried desperately to locate the person in the dark.

“I am.” Jolon's voice was unsteady.

From the dark emerged a figure with a hood over his head. The torch did nothing to light up his face as he approached. He was a full head taller than Jolon with a wider body. He reached into the satchel on his side and pulled out a very small package.

Jolon held out his hand as the man placed it in his palm. “Ensure that Princess Lenore receives this.” The deep voice ordered and there seemed to be a hint of a threat in those words even though he offered no such words.

Jolon nodded his head. “Yes, of course.”

With a quick bow, the figure moved back into the darkness as if he had been nothing more than a shadow all along.

“Alright, time to leave.” Anton announced and the girls were quick to follow him.

Jolon stood in shock for a moment before realizing he was alone on this path and hurried to catch up with the others.

---***---

What little Lenore had in her study was looked over by Authin and Santh, but they did not seem to see anything that Lenore had not already. The report on her father's body which verified the poisoning, the letter that had been found supposedly written by Lesatan, and Damek's testimony were some of the items.

Authin stood from his chair and stretched himself out. “I am going to my dorm room for a moment. There was something I needed but have been afraid to collect for some time. After which I am going back home. This place doesn't feel safe anymore.” He told them before hurrying to the door. In truth, he was tired of the glances that the other two were giving each other and was starting to feel not welcomed.

When the door shut, Santh tossed Lesatan's letter on the desk. “Compared to your brother's hand writing it seems identical. Right down to the overly loopy s and f.”

Lenore sighed as she leaned back in her chair. “I know that's the problem. It's too perfect. I think we are dealing with someone who can forge handwriting.”

“Or it is Lesatan's handwriting.”

She glared at him for several moments, “It's not Lesatan's handwriting. My brother did not kill my father and if you suggest it again, I will take your badge and send you on your way.”

Clicking his tongue, he inhaled deeply. “Perhaps, the Souchans will have better luck in the mail room. Though, I hardly believe they could find anything that the Mondues have not already.”

“If I felt I could trust the Mondues not to be bribed I would not have asked all of you to assist me.” She crossed her arms.

Santh frowned deeply. “Are you suggesting that the bulk of the Mondues at this school are corrupted by whomever killed the King?”

“I am suggesting that I know not to trust anyone in this dorm and that includes the Mondues who are stationed here. I have no idea who is corrupted and who is loyal, but I will not be so naïve as to bring any of them into my investigation.” Lenore stood from her chair behind the desk and began to stretch her back.

Understanding what she meant, Santh decided to leave the topic alone for now. His mind instead turned to more selfish matters. “When this is over what will become of all of us? Will we be tossed aside once more?”

Lenore stopped what she was doing but did not look to him so he could not see the sadness in her eyes. “That is entirely up to my brother.”

Santh had already been told the truth of the matter that her brother was forcing this life upon her, but it was good to have it verified in her own words. “So, this was all Lesatan's doing? How did he...”

“No.” She turned to face him.

“No?”

She slowly shook her head. “We will not discuss this topic. We will not argue about it. We will leave it alone. You will pretend that you know nothing around the others, understand?”

“As if the others do not suspect it already. The only one that refuses to see the truth is Remus because he is far to hurt by your betrayal to accept that you might be a victim as well.” Santh stood from his seat and walked around the desk to stand in front of her. “You should at least tell us the truth, before we have to send you away again.”

Lenore looked down briefly, “I can not. Acting as if I am the victim, as you said, would only mean they would want to rescue me. The only way to rescue me is not something that I would allow any of you to give up.”

“It's our choice for our friend, is it not?”

“No, it's my choice and I have chosen. When Lesatan is freed and proven innocent I will discuss matters with him again, but that is not here or there. We must prove he did not kill my father first.”

Santh nodded his head, “Then that is exactly what we will do.”

---***---

The mail room and the records room were side by side. Though the records room contained hundreds of shelves and lines of bookcases that were stuffed with papers and scrolls. There were hundreds of years of history in the large room and it was where Routine began his search. He left Ophelia to find anything in the smaller mail room. Though she didn't understand why he was entering records at all.

The two Souchans that were still there that evening looked shocked to have Routine enter before showing them his badge. He was powerful enough to have just walked in and demanded answers yet he showed them respect and proof that he was meant to be here. Routine seemed to be the only one that remembered that on university grounds titles and rank do not matter.

After several hours of digging through the records of mail brought in and dropped off throughout the year. Ophelia found several instances of Krius' signature and a couple of Enoch's. Next to the signatures was always a note stating if they had brought someone else's mail in which every case it was Lesatan's. It seemed that Armand never brought the mail either for the Prince or himself.

Moving through the barely lit room, Ophelia found her way through the door into the records room. “Byron?”

“Over here.” He stuck his head out into the pathway so she could see him and then immediately returned to whatever he was doing.

“I assumed that the Mondues already have this information, but I thought perhaps we should look over it. There are several instances of Krius bringing mail here and it being sent to unknown for Lesatan.” She walked into the aisle and found that Routine was no where to be found. Stepping out, she check the next one and found him kneeling on the ground with a scroll in his hand. “Did you find something?”

He stood up before walking over to Ophelia and looking over her shoulder at what was in her hand. He lifted some of the sheets as he looked at them. “Hmm. I am to understand that Krius almost exclusively brought Lesatan's mail in. It is rather common knowledge that Lesatan only trusts a select group, which would mean that he would only allow someone he intimately trusts with his correspondence.”

“I guess so.” Ophelia didn't understand where he was going with this line of thought but decided to follow him.

“See these star like symbols next to some of Krius' signatures?” He watched her nod. “Each one appears next to a Krius signature where he dotted his I. This forager overlooked something quiet simple, but even if they did not that star symbol was placed there by members of the mail room who were marking it as delivered in place of the signer. Someone who is not Souchan and never worked in the mail room would not have known that.”

“And since the Souchan mail room attendants are forbidden from answering questions on events of the records and mail room that means they could not have explained it to the Mondues.” Ophelia sighed. She had never worked in the mail room as she had never been invited.

“Lenore will be pleased as I am pleased with you for finding it, as your reward.” He held out the scroll he had found and took the stack of papers from her.

Opening it, Ophelia read the words upon it. Her eyes began to fill with tears. “Lesatan's order to destroy our dorm.”

“It's dated the day Lenore left us.” Routine patted her shoulder. “Well then, let's return the scroll and inform Lenore on what we have found.”