Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 19: No More Lectures

Aletta was packing in her room when Lesatan was summoned to her side. Normally, she had the servants pack for her but there was times when she was just too bored to let others do meekly chores that she had done hundreds of times herself growing up. Most people believe being the queen was a constant thrill, but in truth there was long periods of time in between the dancing and debating.

"You called for me, mother?" Lesatan entered the room after he knocked and a servant allowed him entry.

The room was three times the size of his own, but it was looked much the same minus the bear skin rug that his mother had sent for him.

"Everyone leave." The Queen ordered and watched as the six servants, who were standing around doing nothing, hurried to exit.

"Why don't you allow them to do their work and meet me in my study?"

She shook her head, "I would rather do this myself. Speaking of which, should I be the one to take matters of Lenore into my hands. I feel that you have lost all control over her."

Lesatan shook his head, "I am completely in control of the situation, you needn't worry."

She scoffed and stood up, leaving one suitcase half empty. "Needn't worry? You realize that she humiliated you in front of hundreds of your subjects yesterday, don't you?"

He acknowledged this one truth with a nod of his head.

"A loyal subject would have taken the fall and allowed their future King to save face, but she insisted on not only besting you but so quickly it nearly looked like you were a toddler fighting a giant." Aletta walked around her bed and placed her hands on her son's shoulders. "I do not know where this misguided trust for her comes from, but removing you or removing confidence in you could jeopardize everything."

"I understand your concern, mother, but I have doubts that Lenore's actions are an act of defiance in an attempt to gain the throne." He walked passed his mother causing her to drop her hands to her side. "I do not believe that her motives are..."

"What? Sinister? She could easily take your throne, and you believe that she somehow cares enough for you that she would never betray you. She is not your real sister, you have no siblings, are we clear on that? Every King ever assassinated never believed his death would be from a loved one and it almost always is." She snapped.

"I know, mother."

Aletta moved toward him and cupped his face in her hands. "She is not to be trusted, she is someone who desires your throne and is the only person in this entire country that can take it. Do not be so foolish as to befriend the assassin beside you, Lesatan." She looked deeply into his eyes. "I love you, my son. I do not wish to see you killed by that harpy. Her mother seduced the king into ignorance and wickedness, and Lenore is no different. Evil always arrives with a pleasant face and faux loving heart."

Lesatan stood while his mother kissed both of his cheeks and then rubbed away her lipstick with her thumbs.

The door to the bedroom opened, and the King stepped in. From the way his wife and son were standing he knew that something was afoot, but he would say nothing. Lesatan had to learn how to stand against his mother, and time would be the only teacher that would assist him in learning such a difficult lesson.

"Are we leaving now?" Aletta asked and hurried back over to her luggage. "I am not fully packed."

The King shook his head, "No, we leave at noon. I have a couple matters to discuss with the headmaster and then we will return home." He looked toward his son. "Shouldn't you be resting on your rest day, boy? Your friends are in the dining hall, perhaps you should join them."

Lesatan nodded meekly as if he had recently been defeated before hurrying to leave the room. Aletta watched him and when her husband looked toward her, she merely shrugged. "He is in a touchy mood since losing to Lenore yesterday. I trust you will speak to her about how inappropriate it was of her. I did my best to say nothing last night."

"That is Lesatan's place, not ours."

---***---

Lenore awoke knowing today would be a day full of farewells to parents and it was also their first day as school champions. Their meal was brought to them and they all sat on the platforms eating together and enjoying their very first victory meal.

"So, Santh..." Lenore began as she picked at the bowl in her hand full of berries. "We made bets about who would be better, Jolon or Anton. Do you recall?"

Lenore was sitting on the far right of the platform and Santh on the far left, so the others between them had to turn their heads completely to see the other one speak.

Santh was also eating his berries with one foot dangling from the platform and the other one pulled up. He used his knee as a table of sorts. "I do recall."

"What was the bet?" Ophelia asked.

Neither Anton nor Jolon had been aware of this bet, and they both looked on interested in what their mentor may have won from the other.

"As I remember," Lenore ignored her roommate's question, and continued speaking to Santh, "Jolon earned one hundred and sixty six points while Anton earned one hundred and seventy. Which means that my student was the better, does it not?"

Santh frowned at her but didn't reply.

Lenore grinned, "However, they were both in second place at the end of the tournament, so I believe it was a tie. Perhaps, a partial win for both instead of completely nothing?"

It wasn't until that moment that Santh remembered what he had asked for if he won, and he did not want it repeated in front of the rest of the group. He cleared his throat. "Let us be done with it. Your student earned more points, what is it that I must do again?"

"I believe you are no longer allowed to lecture me, and you are to carry my books from class to class until the next tournament." Lenore popped a berry in her mouth, "As I said, it seems unfair however as we never established what would make one better than the other. They both earned second place so that makes them even."

Santh was about to tell her that he had thought it was points so they should most definitely use that, when Remus jumped in. "Making bets and not coming to me to ensure the protocol, for shame on you both." He stood from the stairs and began to walk back and forth between the two. "Lenore is correct the only way to make this fair is to count as both earned second place. Therefore, you both may drop the bet entirely as it was a tie, or you both may earn your just rewards."

Lenore interrupted Santh who was about to suggest dropping the rewards. "Actually, Remus, we both had two stipulations. Therefore, since it is a tie, perhaps we only have to do one or the other based on what the other person wants."

Santh had no idea when Remus had become the mediator, but this needed to end now. "The bet was ridiculous, why bother."

"Remus," Lenore spoke as if Santh had never said a word, "there is a problem with the bets, however. I have already done what Santh wanted even before the end of the tournament. I no longer kiss him or tell people he is my lover, so should he not have another chance at a reward?"

Remus nodded and looked over at his friend, whom he was certain was near blushing. "I do believe you are right, Princess. What say you, Santh?"

Putting his bowl down beside him, Santh stood up and walked over to where the Princess was. He leaned down and whispered into her ear, "Follow me."

Lenore put her bowl down and quickly followed him around the side of the dorm. "What is it?"

"Did you not understand that I did not want the others informed of our bets?" He spoke between his teeth as Lenore leaned against the dorm wall.

She sighed, "No more lectures or carrying my books, hmm. Every other girl will be shivering with jealousy that the dark Santh carries my books, and I do believe I would miss your lectures as they are the only time you speak to me." She thought for a moment, "Yes, my books most definitely. So, what say you? What do you want?"

He stared down at her for several seconds, "A favor." He watched her raise an eyebrow, "I do not know what it is, but when I ask for it then you must do it without question. Deal?"

"Deal."

---***---

After lunch, Lenore rushed to the Royal Dorms where the Royal carriage was awaiting to take her father back to the capital. She found servants loading up the large carriage with velvet interior. Six of the most well taken horses she had ever seen stood ready to pull them.

Lesatan stood in front of his mother and she hugged him while the King stood beside Aletta and watched. Lenore hurried to stand before her father and breathed heavily as she had run all the way to them after receiving the note that they were leaving.

"Always at the last moment." Aletta snapped.

"I just received the note." She bowed her head, "My apologies."

The Queen reached out for her and pulled her into her arms where she placed her mouth near her ear. "You are walking a dangerous path, Lenore. I suggesting turning back." With that she kissed her cheek and hugged Lesatan once more. "I shall miss you, my son."

The King watched as his wife was helped into the carriage, "She is looking forward to being home again." He told them both before patting both of his children on the shoulder. "Do well in your classwork, and we shall see you again at the next tournament. You both will be competing again, yes?"

Both siblings nodded their heads, but Lesatan spoke. "If good fortune smiles upon us, then Lenore will be fighting for the proper dorm next time."

The King looked at Lenore who did not correct her brother. Had they been in private she certainly would have told him that such a thing would not be occurring, but since there were servants and the King himself, she simply smiled.

"Goodbye, father." Lesatan bowed his head. "I shall miss you during my meals."

"Yes, father, goodbye. Safe travels." Lenore added.

With that the King moved toward the carriage and stepped inside. The door was closed and he watched his two children disappear as they left the school grounds.

Aletta sat across from him and yanked nervously at her hands.

"Does something trouble you?"

"What is that girl doing in that horrible dorm?" Aletta asked. "She has this beautiful room in the Royal Dorms, and she is sleeping in that ghastly place. Something is amiss, I can feel it deep within my bones."

"Perhaps she is accustom to sleeping in less desirable spaces." He picked up a book that was left on his carriage seat and opened it.

Aletta knew what her husband was speaking of. She made the girl sleep in the servants' quarters until she was twelve, when Lenore literately took over a room of her own. Aletta knew it would look cruel of her to remove the girl, and so she allowed her to stay. Lenore never returned to her mother's house after that day, she also began her schooling the next day and quickly caught up with Lesatan who had been taught since he was six years old.

Picking up a glass of red wine, Aletta took a drink and then placed it back down. "There is something not quite right with that girl."

"You have been saying that since she was a child, and yet she has never done any wrong to you." He looked up from his book. "Perhaps, you should lay your suspicions to rest for now. Drink more wine and read your book, you'll feel better soon enough."

---***---

Routine and Jolon had left the dorm to say goodbye to their parents. Routine's parents would be leaving by carriage, and Jolon's had rode a single horse together. It would be a long journey back for both, but no doubt they would return if the South Dorm fought in the next tournament.

Ophelia was spending time with her mother behind the dorm, while Remus had disappeared. Only Santh and Anton remained.

A servant had come to give Anton a note, and the boy looked saddened by what he had read. Since then he had been sitting on the platform, staring at a nearby dead tree. Santh was also on the platform but he was working on some class work that he had not finished. One of the desks at his side since his legs were too big to fit comfortably under it.

"What are you contemplating?" Santh finally grew curious enough to ask.

Anton snapped out of his reverie and looked across the platform at the tall man. "My parents did not bother to personally say their farewells." He waved the note at the other man briefly. "Remember what we discussed, and do well in your classes is what it says. They didn't even bother to sign their names."

Santh didn't know what to say in response, but he began to speak anyway. "My mother died when I was ten, and my father when I was twelve."

"Are you suggesting I should be grateful?"

He snorted, "No, I was about to tell you how wonderfully loved I was and that they would never send such a note to me. One has to wonder how you didn't become bitter yourself."

Anton chuckled, "With loving parents like that, how did you end up as darkness incarnate?"

Santh smirked briefly, but allowed the jest to stay.

"I have heard your father was a war hero, but never of your mother." Anton wondered if he could manage to get the man to speak with him openly, somehow he doubted it. Yet, there were questions he had that he would have liked answers to.

"My mother was a woman with title and lands, did you know?"

There was surprise in the freshman's heart when the quiet man began to speak. He shook his head in response to the question.

Santh nodded, "Not many do. She fell in love with my father, a commoner. The only way they could be together was if she left every thing and every one behind, and she found the courage to do so. My aunt was then given the title and lands, and she married a powerful man combining the houses."

The two looked toward the dirt path as Lenore emerged into the court.

Anton thought perhaps that this would be the end of the conversation, but he tested the waters. "Your mother didn't care?"

He shrugged his shoulders lightly, "I never asked, but she seemed happy. I do not remember her crying, all I remember is that she smiled all the time and only thought kindly of people even my aunt. When she died, she told me that we all have an end and she was about to discover the truth of death. She said it was frightening and exhilarating. I didn't understand what she meant at the time, but now I think I do." He told him as he watched Lenore approach them and sit down on the stairs.

"Lenore," Anton looked at the woman, "we are discussing parents. Mine leaves without saying goodbye, and Santh's have passed. What of yours?"

She chuckled, "Which one of the four?" She watched him try to create an answer and then laughed. "They are all rather terrible, honestly." With that answer she stood up and looked down at him. "Your parents care enough to ride all this way to see you. Be grateful."

"Yours did as well."

Lenore snorted, "The King and Queen came because it is their duty, and my mother only arrived because she still believes there is love between her and the King. She merely wanted to see him, which is why I have only spoken to her once." Wanting no more of this conversation, Lenore hurried into the dorm and left the two men to their conversation.

Santh remained quiet and stared down uncomfortably at his scroll.

"She certainly seems to have had a difficult life... for a Princess that is." Anton cleared his throat after he spoke.

"It is beginning to seem that way, yes."

---***---

Armand sat in one of the chairs in front of the Prince's desk, while Authin stood next to the fireplace and stared at the flames inside. He didn't understand why the fire was even lit as it was rather warm outside, but it always appeared to be burning.

Both men knew it would be difficult to get Lenore passed her suspicions, and both were well aware of her affections for Crolus Grey and Santh Aguilar. It seemed to be a losing battle now that the Prince had interfered.

"You do not need to be here." Authin informed the other man in the room. "I am quite capable of dealing with the Prince myself, and considering that one day I shall be his adviser this should be seen as practice."

Armand leaned back in his chair and cleared his throat. "You realize that Lenore will eventually discover the truth about you. She isn't one to ignore obvious signals, and when that day occurs the signals will lead back to me. She knows me too well to discover the truth and not know I had a hand in this."

"There will be no obvious signals." Authin reassured him.

The two sat silently for several seconds before Armand exhaled loudly. "I should never have brought this idea before the Prince."

The blonde man looked over his shoulder and frowned, "I will make it work. Fret not. Lenore is a difficult woman and I tried to get to her through deceit, and that will never work."

"Are you suggesting you come clean?" Lesatan arrived in the doorway and shut the door which locked Krius and Enoch out in the hallway.

Authin turned around and bowed to his Prince. "She has become suspicious and her suspicions as we know are correct. Therefore, the only way to regain her trust is to be honest with her and start anew."

Lesatan stared between the two men. "I have seen the two of you together quite often lately. I did not realize you had become so close."

Authin sat down in the chair beside Armand, "We are working together toward a common goal. After all, no one has been a friend to Lenore longer than your adviser here."

The Prince nodded and then sat down behind his desk. "Do you honestly believe that she will come around if the truth is explained to her?"

"Of course." Authin crossed his left ankle over his right knee and leaned back in the chair.

Lesatan was in no mood this morning to play Authin's games. His mother had taken all his patience before her departure, and any one that tried to test him would end up with a metaphorical wound. He leaned forward and looked at the man before him. "You are beginning to test my divine patience, Authin."

He nervously cleared his throat and looked to Armand who seemed to have noticed long ago that Lesatan was not in a very good mood as he was nearly hiding behind his own fist.

"May I make a suggestion then? It is a way for you to assist in this matter."

The Prince stared at him briefly before motioning with his hand that he may speak.

"I believe, your grace, would benefit from including Lenore in more of your decision making." Authin put both feet on the floor and leaned forward. "For instance, you and she barely speak now, but if you summon her to assist you then you would be forcing her to be part of this world once more."

He brought his eyebrows together, and seemed unsure of the advice. "I can not have her making substantial decisions for me."

Authin tossed his hands in the air and leaned back once more. "One of you must offer trust first, and I am certain that she will not be the one to fold."

"Are you proposing that I, your future king, bow to the whims of a bastard child?"

He slowly shook his head, "Of course not, milord. I am proposing that you manipulate her into believing such an impossibility is a truth."

Lesatan looked at Armand, "Do you have any opinions on what topics would be best suited for her assistance?"

The adviser smirked, "Several, milord."

---***---

Lenore made her way deeper into the woods until she found the spot that Crolus and she had shared a couple nights before. He stood with a grin on his lips when she appeared and she walked over to him with a smile of her own. One she reserved for people she kept close to her.

Lenore was wearing her school garb, and Crolus was still in the armor that he seemed to wear where ever he went. It was a part of his persona, and Lenore had always enjoyed meeting with her dashing knight in the woods.

"I am afraid that I shall be leaving with my father soon." Crolus informed her when she came to stand in front of him. "I had hoped to convince my father to allow me to leave with the King to join the Royal Guard or even a branch of the military, but he will hear nothing of it. I am to be the guild master and there is no convincing him to chose Remus instead."

Lenore knew that Remus was indeed meant to be the guild master, but it was not her place to interfere in Pymus' plans with his sons. "Continue to try. I am certain he will soon see reason."

"You must know something about my father that I am not privy too." He spoke bitterly. "I am an idiot when it comes to matters of the guild, while Remus seems incapable of doing any wrong. Look how well he has grown the Fox's network, and I nearly brought it to it's knees."

Standing on her tip toes, Lenore kissed him gently on the lips and a frown appeared on her face. Crolus knew what she was about to say before the words were even prepared in her own mind.

"We can not continue as we have been." He stated what initially was meant to be a question.

Lenore shook her head, "The more we speak to one another the more familiar we become. It is not as it was before, where we simply enjoyed each other and left the other out of our lives. I noticed this began last year during the tournaments, but I feared letting go."

He understood and leaned against the tree behind him.

"You have entered true adulthood, while I am still dancing in the arms of youth. Granted, I have my challenges but I shall not be judged on my indiscretions... not yet." She exhaled.

Crolus leaned down and kissed her once more. "It was enjoyable while it lasted. I apologize for destroying it."

The Princess grinned and slowly shook her head. "On the contrary, it needed to end, as I feel we have a great friendship that will someday be more than we could ever have hoped for in our school days."

He chuckled, "Perhaps, as a Royal Guard, I shall be your personal guard."

Lenore smiled widely, "That would be a great honor."

"The honor would be mine." Reaching down he took her hand and kissed her knuckles. "I shall never kiss you again, milady." With that he began to walk away, but stopped after a couple steps to look over his shoulder at her. "A question, if I may?"

"Of course."

"Do you still hold that immense crush for that little Aguilar boy?" He jested.

"Little? I suppose compared to you, he would be." Lenore chuckled and watched him raise his eyebrows as if to tell her that she hadn't answered the question. "I do."

"How are things progressing?"

Lenore licked her lips and thought for a moment, then smiled once more. "Slowly, but I am wearing him down. He caught us the other night and it made him terribly jealous, I am afraid. I have no doubt that..." She cut herself off. "Well, I suppose I have no doubt that one day I will be ending things with him as well, but I shall enjoy the fun while it is here to be had."

"Good luck, Princess."

---***---

The three advisers stood in Krius' study and thought over the last few days. Lesatan had gone to take a nap, which gave them time to make plans that would better them in the eyes of their Prince. Of course, everyone was tired from the tournaments, and found it impossible to think appropriately. Every one except Authin who had danced away from the Prince not long ago. The man had better ideas to control Lenore in a matter of minutes then the three of them had concocted in years.

"How am I to seduce her, when the Prince wouldn't allow me near her?" Krius was more shouting to himself then actually asking a question.

"Maybe send her love notes?" Enoch suggested, which caused Krius to nearly glare a hole through his forehead.

Armand knew that Krius was too obsessed with getting Lenore into his arms and not into the dorms, that he was next to useless when it came to making plans that involved her. Half the reason he had lost to her in the melee was because he feared hurting her too much, especially after the beating he gave her after the first day. He didn't understand that Lenore feared him even in the arena, and he could have used that to his advantage.

Though Armand and Enoch were in the dark as to what had caused Lenore to shy away from the large man. A man she used to run to for protection against the Prince and Queen, and now she would rather run to the Prince or Queen to hide from Krius.

"Authin's idea is sound. We need only decide on certain topics that Lenore should have a hand in, and they can not be insignificant. She must feel that Lesatan trusts her and desires her input." Armand explained as he sat down in the chair in front of Krius' desk.

His study looked exactly the same as the Prince's minus the bear skin rug. Krius leaned his back against the wall and thought for several moments. "How could you allow him to ask that woman for suggestions on a future queen? Queen Aletta will be furious if the woman he marries is chosen by Lenore."

"That is why the Queen can never know." Armand explained.

"Why does she get to pick the Prince's wife, but she gets mad when the Prince tries to choose her husband?" Enoch asked as he sat down in the chair beside Armand.

"Lesatan is going to ask her to intercede, where the Prince went behind her back and tried to get a Royal Whore to seduce her." Krius snapped. "I was promised her hand! She agreed! She has no right to step away from that oath and marry another!"

Armand was already exhausted by the large man. He couldn't speak of Lenore without becoming angry over the past. Honestly, he didn't even think that Krius loved her in any sense, but that he had seen her as his property and now she had chosen to walk away from the very oath that made her an object to him.

"Perhaps the Prince should help the South Dorm." Enoch suggested and the other two looked at him to further explain. "The Princess and her friends live there. So, what if they fixed it some?"

"Ridiculous." Krius barked.

"It would show his desire to reconcile." Armand told the other man. "It's a good idea, Enoch."

The daft man smiled from ear to ear and then leaned back in the chair. It was rare that he was told that anything he said was useful.

"That doesn't concern the plans we have to bring Lenore into the role of an adviser." Krius reminded him as he walked around his desk to take a seat. "Too many issues are important and would send the Queen on the war path straight to these dorms if she discovered that Lenore had a hand in them."

"Lesatan says he will deal with his mother. We simply have to find things of interest for the Princess. Items that she can not walk away from because they pull her in too much." Armand threw his head back over the back of the chair to further think on the issue.

---***---

Pymus' servants tied Odelia's horse to the back of his carriage, as the two would be riding home together. Though Odelia's home was to the West where Pymus lived to the East. He had assured her that it wasn't too far out of his way and he would prefer to know that she was safe riding home.

Remus and Ophelia were waiting by the West Gate to say goodbye to their parents, and Santh had come along to give his farewells. After the last of the luggage was placed on the carriage and Odelia was finished ordering them to be careful, she turned to the group.

"I will miss you." She immediately hugged Ophelia and began to kiss her on the check multiple times.

Pymus shook his head at the display before hugging his own son with a pat on the back. Remus held the hug longer to speak to him. "Don't you dare, father."

The father grinned, "Beg pardon?"

Remus lowered his voice, "She can't be my step-mother and my mother-in-law. Don't you dare." He released his father and Pymus continued to grin. He said no more to his son but did give him a wink.

Odelia was finished kissing every inch of her daughter's face, and it was soon Santh's turn. After watching the display, he feared what would be in store for him. However, Odelia gave him a simple hug and then cupped his face in her hands. "If you need anything, anything at all, you contact me. Alright?"

Santh nodded his head.

"Ah, there they are." Pymus watched as Crolus and Lenore walked down the pathway to meet with them.

Remus spoke under his breath to his father, "Your future daughter-in-law?"

He patted his son's shoulder, before walking up to greet the Princess. "Personally escorting my son, Princess? What an honor."

Crolus looked annoyed by his father's comment and walked passed him toward his brother.

Lenore rolled her eyes playfully before she hugged Pymus. "It's ended. You needn't worry."

Pymus was always amazed at how Lenore easily picked up on his suggestions, and would carry them through when she made her subtle promises. When he stepped away from the hug, he briefly kissed her forehead. It wasn't an act that was not socially acceptable for any one outside her immediate family to preform, but Lenore never took offense in the rare occasions that it happened.

While this occurred Crolus stopped in front of his brother. "I shall see you at the next tournament."

Remus gave a nod. "Indeed."

With that Crolus entered the carriage and was gone from everyone's sight. However, with Remus freed from his brother's brief conversation, Odelia hugged Remus, "Take care of my daughter." She whispered.

"I will."

Odelia was helped into the carriage by Pymus, and he gave his son another wink before hoping inside. Everyone waved their goodbyes as the carriage began to pull away, although only Odelia stuck her hand out to wave in return.

Once it was far enough away everyone dropped their arms except for Ophelia, who was nearing tears that her mother was once more gone from her life. Lenore placed her hand on the girl's shoulder to comfort her, while Remus picked that moments to begin picking at topics that were not for him to know.

"So, the Princess Lenore and the great warrior Crolus? Will it be a Spring wedding?" He asked the question with a playful tone, but Lenore could hear the bitterness.

"Jealous, Remus?"

He chuckled with more bitterness, "Dreadfully so."

Ophelia turned to look at the two of them. "Lenore and Crolus? You two are in love? What of..." She looked toward Santh and then closed her mouth as she didn't want to express the emotions she knew her two friends had for each other.

Lenore could see the annoyance in Santh's eyes and she grinned, before grabbing Santh's arm with both of her hands. "Crolus and I are over. I have chosen Santh."

The annoyance remained on Santh's face though he tried to fight a grin, before he yanked his arm away from her. "You said you have stopped this nonsense." He barked before turning around and heading back to the dorm.

Lenore smiled at the other two dorm mates, both of which began to laugh. "He loves me." She informed them before turning around and running to catch up with him. Remus and Ophelia hurried along as well. "Wait, Santh! Escort your lady home!"

"Leave me be, Lenore!" He snapped.

"No! Wait for me!" She stopped beside him and grabbed his hand.

Santh was halted and looked down as Lenore tried to walk forward. He shook his hand so she would release him, but she continued to hold on with a smile. Ophelia appeared beside Santh and took his other hand, while Remus took Ophelia's.

"Let's go home." Ophelia announced.

Santh didn't struggle further as the four walked home together. He knew this was a joke being played upon him, and though he seemed annoyed the entire journey home, he held Lenore's hand slightly tighter than he did Ophelia's.

---***---

Santh refused to allow them to walk through the dirt path holding hands, and it seemed an impossible task with as narrow as the path was. The game had grown tired for everyone else as well, and they made their way into the dirt court where Routine and the commoners stood. All three men turned their eyes to the red-headed woman standing in the dorm's hall.

Lenore stepped forward, "Mother, why have you come?"

Imogene wore an elegant yellow dress, but nothing as fine as the clothes that both Lenore and the Queen had worn. She walked down the steps and looked worried about her shoes touching the dirt of the court. "I will be leaving shortly, and it was suggested to me that I speak with you and say my farewells."

The Princess sighed before she mumbled, "I wish my father would not interfere in this."

Her mother snorted as she stopped directly in front of her. "The King, as if he speaks to me. It was the Queen that made the suggestion."

"I see. Farewell, then, mother. I hope your journey is short and safe." With that Lenore started to head toward the dorms, but Imogene caught her arm and pulled her to stand before her again.

Santh and Remus made a motion to stop her, but they both realized that there was nothing they could do. Routine moved closer but he did not involve himself.

"You will tutor your brother and sister, understand?"

"I shall not." She shook her head once as she spoke.

The response made Imogene's blood boil and she pressed her lips together as she thought over her next words. "Who do you believe you speak to? Some servant that you can command at will? I am the Duchess of..."

"I am the Princess of Ronea, and will one day hold the title as Princess Adviser, so perhaps it is I that should be asking who you believe you are speaking to?" Lenore snapped.

Ophelia grew nervous and slowly began to hide her eyes from sight behind Remus' back.

"You ingrate!" Imogene screamed. "It is because of me that you are the Princess! I birthed you! I dealt with the Queen and married her disgusting troll of a cousin! I..."

"Made all the decisions yourself and I never told or asked you to do any of it. Every trouble you have has been self inflicted!" The Princess yanked her arm from her mother's grasp. "Who are you to order me about? To demand that I be seen with those of the Vinson family. You married into a bloodline of traitors, mother, but that didn't bother you, did it? All you wanted was to no longer be a servant and to join the ranks of the elite! Well, you earned your title and you only had to sacrifice your first born to do so!"

Imogene raised her hand and slapped her daughter across the face. Lenore took the slap and merely glared deeply into her mother's eyes. It was as if the two had lost sight that there were other's around watching the entire ordeal unfold.

Anton tried to step forward to say something, but Routine put his hand in front of him and shook his head. This was not the place of a commoner.

"Every thing I did was for you!" Imogene screamed.

"Every thing? Throwing me out to sleep in the horse stable when I was five? Having the stable boys raise me? That was for me?" Lenore laughed sardonically as the hand print on her face grew more red with each passing moment. "I was never sent any food from the house, except the scraps you gave the boys. Tell me, mother, how was that for my benefit?"

"You little brat!" Imogene raised her hand once more.

Santh stepped forward to stop it, as he didn't wish to see this horrible woman harm the Princess again. However, Routine arrived first and grabbed Imogene's wrist.

"How dare you!" Imogene spat and yanked her hand away, "Do you not know whom you have just grabbed, Souchan peasant!"

"You are Duchess Vinson, the Princess' mother, and I am the impending Guilder Master of the Souchan's, Byron Nicoletti. We have been formally introduced and are therefore acquainted." He informed her, "I am interceding due to the fact that I believe my relationship with Lenore takes priority."

Imogene looked confused.

"She is my fiancee, and I will not have her tortured by a treacherous Vinson in my presence." Routine's voice held actual venom in it, which was a first for all present to hear. Of course, for the rest of the group the fact that Lenore and he were engaged was also a first.

Imogene looked toward her daughter, "Is this true? You are to wed into the Souchans? Do you understand that is a great step downward? You are of the Royal Party!"

"As are the Vinsons." Routine answered before Lenore had the chance. "Anyone would be proud to defect from the party that calls your family an ally."

The Princess' mother looked between them and Routine moved to stand next to Lenore to look at her bruised cheek. "Now, take your leave, Duchess Vinson. My fiancee needs preventative attention before this darkens further."

Lenore watched her mother lift up the hem of her dress and quickly huff away, and after a she began to leave she noticed that three guards were positioned nearby none of which acted during the entire fight. They left with her mother and Lenore turned to Routine.

"Why did you do that?"

He shrugged, "It was interrupting my study session."

---***---

Tonight would be the last night before classes began again in the morning, everyone decided the night before that it would be best to spend time drinking and eating in their dorm. After their meals were brought to them, they all gathered in the spare bedroom.

Though the argument that Lenore had with her mother and Routine's announcement still weighed heavily in the air. Lenore knew she couldn't just allow her friends to think that this was a true engagement as she felt odd having them believe that her and Routine were involved romantically. However, she didn't wish to ruin their entire plan, after all she knew that one could never trust another human being completely.

Santh had been quiet and barely agreed to join them for that evening, while Ophelia and the commoners had looked at them with curiosity and perhaps a bit of anger for not being told. Remus, of course, acted as if he had known all along, whether that was true or not would be a mystery for the ages.

"Before we begin..." Lenore stood from the bed she was sitting on. "I just want everyone to know that Byron and I are engaged but that was only meant to be known between our parents, and not for anyone else to discover." She glared down at Routine who was sitting on the floor.

He look unamused and knew what she was about to say, "Our engagement is a ruse to keep our parents from attempting to locate other spouses without our consent."

The somber looks on everyone's faces was immediately lifted, especially the gloomy face that Santh had been using.

Lenore looked down at Routine with a grin, and he merely looked exasperated that anything had to be explained to them.

"So, you two won't be married?" Ophelia asked as everyone began to eat and drink with more vigor.

Lenore shook her head, "That is not entirely true. We may go forward with the engagement if no better options are given. I understand and can live well with Byron, and he would not hinder me either. Besides it would be a boon to his family to have the Princess as the wife of their guild master."

Anton spoke with a piece of meat still in his mouth, "So, you are engaged?"

Routine grew more annoyed, "No. It is a ruse, unless it proves to be the only option with any potential."

Santh was laying on the bottom bunk and was slowly feeding himself. He began to laugh, a hardy laugh that no one had ever heard from him before. All eyes turned to him as he tried to sit up and place his plate of the floor. Once he was able to slide onto the floor, he pointed between Lenore and Routine. "Imagine their children."

The group all smiled except for Routine and Lenore, who didn't quite understand the joke.

"Intelligent brats who can not live without a scheduled life." Remus chuckled. "Eight o'clock is bed time! It's eight and one minute, I am late for bed. My night has been ruined!

Lenore grinned as the others laughed, but Routine remained stoic.

"Our children would be a combination of two intelligent and attractive individuals. I find nothing humorous about our fictitious progeny." Routine continued to eat his meal and drink the mead that he had begun to grow used to having though he never drank much of it.

Leaning forward on her knees, Lenore gave Santh her playful look that informed him that he would be teased soon. "I would rather know what children between Santh and myself, would be like?"

"Handsome, strong, and smart. All qualities that I possess and none of your own, for if you were my wife I would have killed you early in the relationship." Santh was quick to snap back instead of acting bashful and annoyed as usual.

The group laughed at his comment as did Lenore, "At least, I would have died knowing what it's like to ride such a stallion."

Ophelia turned red, "Lenore!"

Santh smirked at her comment, "Well, you don't have to be my wife to discover that, Princess."

"Promises, promises." She blew him a kiss.

Remus cocked his head toward his friend and wonder what exactly had gotten into him besides the mead. One moment he was fighting holding her hand, another he was threatened by Routine and their engagement, and now he was openly flirting with her. Had he decided to take his chances with the Princess in such a short amount of time? Or was he simply that drunk already?

"Shall we leave the two of you alone then?" Jolon teasing asked.

Anton added, "Indeed, as much as I would enjoy seeing Lenore naked, I would be horrified to see Santh's giant form crushing her."

"That would be a sight." Remus looked toward his friend whose cheeks were now beginning to grow red. He had allowed this to go too far but had no idea how to retreat.

Lenore laughed, "I prefer my romantic rendezvous to be secret in nature, so I am afraid not tonight, my dear Santh."

The humor on his face had began to slip away and he took another drink of the mead. This time he did not respond to the jests.

"Oh, look. He's disappointed." Ophelia wanted to be part of the jesting as well, and her comment brought the room back to it's laughter, even Santh couldn't help but grin.