Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 54: Reported Gossip

Damek sat on the bench at the end of his bed. He ran his hands through his hair and over his neck as he thought of the events of the last few days. Regret came and went, but there would be no turning back now. One can not simply return a murder victim to life is what he told himself over and over again.

The door to his room opened after a quick knock and Marius entered the room. He hurried to shut the door and rushed to stand before Damek. “The servants have been chatting about Lenore and her small army of investigators.”

Swallowing, Damek looked up at the man who hadn't even bothered to wait for him to allow him entry into his room. It was an annoying habit that only recently emerged and if he had anyone else he could trust he might have scolded him, but he was too afraid of Marius turning on him. “You are listening to servant gossip? I asked you to hire spies.”

“I did hire spies and they reported gossip.” Marius stood nervously before him. “Do you not wish to hear it?”

“No, speak.”

“Byron Nicoletti and Ophelia Romanus investigated the mail room tonight, and it appears they brought a large stack of papers with them when they left.” Marius waited a moment and when Damek said nothing continued, “Lenore sent the commoners and that Harona Brenem out into the hamlet, but they did not appear to return with anything.”

Damek pressed his lips together. “If we are not careful Lenore may be the one to destroy her own rise to power. Keep watch. Go.”

“There is more.” Marius informed him and Damek was beginning to notice that he was no longer address him as milord.

“Yes?”

Marius shifted nervously before clearing his throat. “I hired five spies to move around the campus and hamlet, but only two have reported in. It has been three days. The other two are anxious and say they feel as if they are being followed.”

Standing up, Damek looked into the other man's eyes. “They are spies they aren't suppose to report anything unless they have information.”

“While that is true, they are meant to check in from time to time so that we know they are not compromised. The other spies say they believe another network is active in the area and not taking lightly to their movements.” Marius watched as Damek walked over to the window and started out at the dark court.

“The only other network I could think of would be the Serpent's Circle. If they have learned of their small involvement they may not approve. Hire more people and ensure they are capable this time. If the Circle is involved then we must be careful. I am above their reproach, but you are not, Marius.” Damek turned his eyes to him. “They will not take this lightly.”

This information made Marius' heart twinge with pain. “If they are here would they not speak to Lenore and inform her that they had no involvement in her father's death?”

Damek chuckled, “Lenore's father was just killed and these assassins are implicated. She would not be foolish enough to meet with one of them. Not only would it appear that she was the one hiring them, but they could want her life as well.”

Marius nodded his head. “Of course, she would never...” His words trailed off. “If there is nothing else?”

He motioned for him to leave.

As Marius approached the door, he stopped. “There is something else. I have received word that your father has been notified of his brother's death and plans to return home with haste.”

Sitting back down on the bench, Damek once again ran his hands through his hair. He had forgotten entirely that he would have to deal with his father's pain.

When Damek said nothing, Marius took it as a sign for him to leave. Once the door was closed, Damek placed his face in his palms and sighed deeply.

---***---

Standing in the court of the South Dorm, Jolon waited for Lenore to return. The others were sitting on the platform when Lenore appeared with Santh. They came to meet Jolon in the center as everyone remained quiet.

“Has Authin returned?” Lenore asked when she approached him. When Jolon shook his head, she sighed. “We waited for him but he never did. I hope he is alright.”

“He can handle himself.” Santh replied and looked at Jolon's hand that was clenching something tightly.

“Here.” Jolon offered out the small package. His eyes seemed to stare at it in wonder as he hoped she would open the weighted package in front of him.

Picking it up with her finger tips, Lenore pulled back the paper gently. Inside there was a silver coin with a snake on one side and a lion on the other. The paper it had been wrapped in had writing upon it. She carefully read the small handwriting before clearing her throat. “It's instructions on where I am to meet them tonight. I will need a couple bodyguards.”

“Who are you meeting?” Anton asked as he walked down the stairs of the platform to stand next to Jolon.

“A member of the Brotherhood. They wish to speak to me about my father's assassination.” Lenore held up the coin. “This is a rare coin that has their symbol of the serpent and my family's crest animal. It is a peace offering to show that they mean no harm and wish only to initiate a conversation with me.”

“Then why bodyguards?” Santh crossed his arms and furrowed his brow. He didn't like this idea in the least but he knew that Lenore would not be talked out of going. That meant he had to have all the information before he would go, though he knew he was going no matter what.

“It could be a ruse by someone pretending to be part of the Brotherhood. I do not believe it to be true, but I would rather someone be there.” She looked between the three men.

“I'll go.” Santh and Anton said in unison.

Jolon shook his head, “I am sorry, Lenore, but I am worthless in a fight. I would merely get in the way.”

She smirked in an attempt to make him feel more comfortable before she nodded her head, “I understand.”

“Are you all insane? Or perhaps daft?” Remus stormed down from the platform as the others watched.

Ophelia dropped her face into her hands afraid to watch whatever was about to unfold. Harona and Saena took note of her behavior before quickly patting her back in an attempt to comfort her.

“You are going to walk into an assassin's trap for this.” He motioned toward Lenore as soon as he was standing next to Anton. “Do you realize how badly she has treated us? You would risk your lives for this?” He motioned toward her once more.

Santh sighed audibly before completely ignored his friends words and looked to Lenore. “Where should we meet?”

“In an hour in the flower court. We will head to the hamlet once we are all three there.” She put the coin and note in the pouch on her belt. “I need to return to the Royal Dorms, so I do not draw too much suspicion. Be careful, I have received word that there might be eyes watching.”

With that she walked down the dirt path, as Remus tossed his hands in the air. “This is truly unbelievable. A year ago, you all wished her harm and now you are running into harm's way for her. You have all lost your minds!”

Ophelia looked to Routine, “We should tell them now.”

He nodded once.

“Tell us what?” The others turned to her and those not near the platform moved toward her.

“I know why Lenore left.”

---***---

Krius sat in the chair on the pathway outside of Lesatan's cell. His Prince sat calmly on the bed with his hands folded on his lap. Though he kept a hard exterior, Krius knew that his friend was having a difficult time processing all of this. For the first time, Lesatan had no control over what was occurring and he had to leave his fate in the hands of others.

Even though they had tried to make it smell like less of a barn, they only accomplished a barn scent mixed with the strong scents of Lesatan's horrible incense. They wouldn't allow him to burn his own either as it was a fire source, so it burned on a table in the pathway across from his cell. The combination of the two smells only made it smell like a barn was burning down.

“Lenore has brought in her deputies from the South Dorm.” Krius tried to keep his voice flat and calm as he reported to him. “I have little access to the Mondue reports as I am still considered a possible accomplice. It was clever of her to ensure that no one from the Royal Dorm was involved in the investigation. They won't accuse us of any meddling.”

Lesatan slowly nodded his head but kept his eyes firmly on the ground. He had nothing to add to the conversation and Krius could see his heart wasn't really into hearing his report.

Still, Krius continued. “Of course, they might try to suggest that Lenore altered the evidence. We shall hope that this is not the cause, but it seems that you have many enemies that would prefer a civil war over you ruling.”

The Prince swallowed deeply as he listened to his friend's words. He felt more like he was being scolded then being given information about his case.

“Also...”

“Why has Piera not come down to see me?” Lesatan finally spoke but his voice cracked as if he were afraid of askng the question.

Krius had been dreading that question. He looked towards the guard who seemed to be trying his best not to overhear their conversation. “Uh...”

The Prince looked up at him for the first time. He wanted to move closer to the bars in order to be near his friend but he knew the guard would tell him to sit back down.

Leaning in, Krius lowered his voice. “She has been removed for her safety.” He informed him which brought Lesatan's brows together.

“Her safety? To where has she gone?” Lesatan stood up briefly but quickly sat back down, which only proved to Krius how restricted his Prince was here.

“I can not say as I do not know, but she carries an heir with her.” He whispered and watched as Lesatan closed his eyes and lifted his head back. Whether it was a look of pain or relief, he couldn't tell though he knew that would be answered shortly.

“How terrified she must be. Lenore ensured her safety, I assume?” Lesatan kept his voice as low as he could since they were speaking across a cell.

Krius gave a nod. “Only Lenore and I are aware. Other than whomever, Lenore sent with her.” He did not want to tell Lesatan that his father had taken her. It was not because he didn't trust his Prince, but because he thought it was best that the least amount of people knew.

Lesatan seemed to accept that Krius did not know who his wife was with and surprisingly trusted Lenore to send her with whomever she saw fit. “As long as she is safe from harm. At the very least even if I found guilty, there will be no civil war.”

Sitting up straight, Krius sighed. He was shocked at how calmly Lesatan was taking this entire situation. He thought he would scream and throw his items around the cell over any information given to him. Entrusting his life to others was his only option, and Krius knew his Prince was well aware of this fact.

For the first time in his life, Lesatan had no power. His words were empty and no one acted upon his uttering them. He had already learned that lesson upon his arrest and did not need it reiterated to him.

“I will return when there is more information available.” Krius bowed his head before heading to the stairs.

---***---

After Authin left Lenore and Santh, he immediately went to Armand's room. The adviser was sitting in his overstuffed chair as he stared into the fire. A glass of red wine in his hand. Authin said nothing to him and merely poured himself a glass before sitting in the other chair across from him. They both sat in silence for several long moments as they sipped their wine.

“I'm a deputy for Lenore now.” He snorted. “Can you believe that she would trust me after what I have done?”

“She is the forgiving type when you prove that you have changed your ways, well unless you are Krius, apparently. However, she tolerates him.” Armand snuggled his back against the chair.

Authin sighed deeply, “Whatever happened between those two?” He asked before taking a large drink of his wine and standing up to get more.

“She never told me. She doesn't speak of it, and prefers no mention of Krius at all. I figure it is between them as Krius is much the same when asked of their rift.” Armand watched him sit back down in his chair. “Are they making any progress?”

He shrugged his shoulders and chuckled slightly as he thought of the group that Lenore had chosen. “Define progress.”

Lowering his eyes, Armand thought for a moment. “As a deputy, you should be with them and not visiting me. For once, you should take your duties seriously.”

Pressing his lips together, Authin looked upset. “I have not had the opportunity to visit you in weeks, and you tell me to leave soon after I arrive?”

Putting his glass down, Armand inhaled audibly before leaning forward in his chair and resting his elbows on his knees. “Now is not the time for fun and games, Authin. Right now, I am dealing with a changing political field. There could be civil war if Lesatan is found guilty. Not some tiny skirmishes here and there. It will be bloody and it will be deadly. If and I am almost certain of when this happens, I will have to chose a side.”

“Chose a side?” Authin did not understand; Armand would certainly be on the Princess' side as close as they were.

“Lenore is my friend, but I am not certain she could become the victor and at the very least would be assassinated shortly after. Damek is not someone that I would want to have as my king. He is cruel and selfish much more than Lesatan could ever be. However, he would most likely win such a war. So, who do I pick? Do I chose my friend and most likely die with her or do I chose the tyrant and live as one at his side?” He leaned back in his chair and sipped his wine once more.

“Lesatan has not yet been found guilty. Why bother wasting your time on this at all?” Authin felt slightly annoyed that this man would not follow Lenore blindly.

“We must all plan for the future. My only hope is that Lenore and her group are able to prove Lesatan's innocence. In that vein, you are part of that particular group and if you have time to run around the dorm and fling yourself at me, then I do not see any hope in Lesatan's release. The others must have just as much free time as well, which means there is nothing to find and no leads to any. Unless, of course, you are the only one giving half of yourself while you let the others work? If that is so than my respect for you has decreased greatly.” Armand stood from his chair and walked over to his desk to pour himself another glass.

Authin chuckled before he downed another glass of wine. “I see what you are trying to do here, Armand. It will not work.”

He looked over his shoulder, “Lenore opened a door for you by allowing you to be a deputy. If Lesatan is released and learns of your assistance, he will be obligated to allow you to return to the Royal Dorm and the party in general. Do you think Damek will be so kind?”

Standing up, Authin cleared his throat. “I have much work to do.”

---***---

They watched Lenore leave the court after Routine and Ophelia had informed her of what they found. She didn't seem too enthused as she said that it would be simple for them to simply fake the star and add a dot. Therefore that evidence could be questioned instead they would have to locate the person who delivered these false documents for delivery.

When she was completely out of sight, Ophelia looked to Routine for a brief moment. He seemed to know what she was asking and gave a brief nod before Ophelia turned to the others.

“We know why Lenore left.” She cleared her throat as they all turned from their own private conversations and to look at her. “While we were in the record room, Byron found a destruction notice for our dorm signed by Prince Lesatan. It was dated on the day she left the dorm.”

The entire court was quiet as they all looked amongst each other. Some looked relieved and others seemed to feel guilty about the hatred they had showed her despite helping her that day. Of course, then there was Remus who was standing on the stairs of the platform. His heart began to boil in anger over hearing the truth.

“So, she was trying to protect us after all?” Harona said with a sigh of relief as she placed her hand over her heart. “Thank goodness. I feared that she... I am so thankful.”

Anton placed his hand on her shoulder to comfort her. “Then there is a good chance that she was the one that paid my tuition after all?”

Ophelia nodded, “We do not know that for certain, but who else would have done that? I think she continued to look after us. After all, not one person has bothered us or any of the girls in South Dorm. She must be protecting us still.”

Remus said nothing but snorted to himself.

Santh stood silently with a stoic expression, but in his heart he felt himself boil over with emotion. He knew she had left against her will, but it was nice knowing why she had.

“We should tell the other girls in the morning.” Jolon suggested and the other agreed, except for Routine who cleared his throat to gain their attention.

Clenching his teeth, Remus could barely contain his anger at how everyone was accepting Lenore's betray as some sort of heroic act.

“Lenore does not want people to know and there must be a good reason. We should keep this between us for now.” Routine watch everyone nod in agreement.

“This is ridiculous!” Remus stormed toward the group and looked around at each one.“So all this time, she has lied to us? All this time she suffered for us and didn't even allow us to have a say?” He could barely keep himself from growling and his body shook in frustration. “She acts selfishly and alone and we are to be grateful? Do you know how many times I could have convinced Lesatan that she was better for the Fox's business outside the Royal Dorm? Do you know how many times I could have saved her? Do you understand that we could have easily had our friend amongst us if she had just said something to me?”

The others did not know what to say as they stared at him. His anger was obviously too much for his heart to take and none of them had ever seen him in this state before.

“She is a hero?” He snorted his laughter. “She is a selfish little brat that made us all suffer in order to protect us. That is not a friend. That is not a hero. That is someone who has no idea how to trust and wants to act on her own even though she had allies who wanted to protect her. She is a monster.”

They watched as Remus stormed into the dorm and once the door was shut they all looked to each other. Mouths were gaped open as everyone struggled for words to speak.

“I... I will speak with him.” Ophelia finally said but Routine put his hand on her shoulder to stop her from moving.

“Give him a moment to process before you look for him. Speaking to him in this state will assist no one.” He watched her nod before exhaling deeply. “Even if Remus does not wish to join us. We should celebrate tonight. Our friend was never our monster.”

---***---

The chair was placed in front of the cell. Lesatan sat on his bed and watched the familiar face appear between the bars. The man sat down and stared at him for several moments. Even though he couldn't see the guard that was normally stationed at the door, he had a feeling that he had been excused upstairs. That had come from the excessive whispering he had heard before the chair had made its appearance.

“Look at how pathetic you look, Cousin.” Damek leaned back in the chair with a slight grin on his lips. “How the mighty have fallen. The first day you entered this school, you forced your way into the council chambers and demanded my seat. Do you remember?”

Lesatan said nothing and only continued to stare.

“I told you that things were different here. We were elected into our positions through the students. You couldn't simply just take a council seat.” Damek chuckled. “Much to my surprise, the entire council allowed it. Some even gave up their seats for your advisers. I was left flabbergasted. When I went to the Headmaster, he told me there was nothing that could be done. This was the way of the world. Some people believe the rules are beneath them and simply take what they want. He told me that I should look for a way to defeat you but it would be a difficult journey. He urged me not to take your lead.”

Lesatan didn't understand where this was going but he knew this was ominous.

“Of course, I tried to play by the rules, but I learned quickly that when you play with someone who cheats you can never win.” He sighed audibly. “I have no option but to play dirty with you, however I graduated before my plans came to be. Otherwise, I would be the judge during your trial and you could rest assured you would be killed for what you have done.”

“I did not murder my father.” Lesatan said between clenched teeth.

His cousin laughed, “Of that, I am certain, but I wasn't talking about your father's death. I was talking about your tyrannical rule of which I have brought to an end.”

The realization washed over Lesatan and for a brief moment he was relieved to know the truth, but anger was quick to come. “You killed my father! When I tell the world of this...”

“You are a prisoner accused of murder. Everyone will expect you to place blame anywhere you can. No, I came to tell you the truth so you can die knowing that you brought this all on yourself. You deserve this more than anyone.” Damek leaned forward and placed his hands on his knees. “When this is all over, I will be the King that this country needs.”

“That is if you come out the victor in the civil war that would follow.” Lesatan hissed. “My sister will defeat you, especially when she discovers you killed my father. The world may not believe me but she will.”

“No, she will not. You see, Lenore will not wish to watch the bloodshed. She will want a peaceful solution even if it means her sacrifice. When I had you tear down the South Dorm it was a test to see what Lenore would be willing to do. She showed me that she would gladly make herself into a monster to protect those she loved.” Damek grinned at his cousin. “When you die, even if Lenore knows what I have done, she will marry me. She will not be able to watch people die for her to sit on the throne and she can not just give it to me as that would bring war as well.”

Lesatan's anger reached a boiling point and he laughed. “It will be all for nothing in the end, Damek. I am married with an heir on the way. You will get nothing!”

The smirk on Damek's face faded and he stared blankly at his cousin as if trying to read his face for lies. “I see, well then, I should get to work on rectifying that little oversight.”

Lesatan realized what he had done as Damek stood up and made his way for the stairs. Standing up, he flung himself at the bars. “You'll never find them.”

Stopping, Damek turned back to him briefly. “Pray that I do not, and pray that your wife is smart enough to never step out into light again.”

---***---

Ophelia located Remus down by the stream. He leaned against a tree with his arms across his chest and a frown upon his face. He stared at the calm waters not looking up as Ophelia approached. Her footsteps was a common sound in his life and he needn't bother to ensure it was her.

“Remus?” Ophelia came to stand beside him with a deep frown on her lips but she quickly removed it in hopes for a look of compassion or concern. When he said nothing she continued to speak. “Why are you so dead set on being angry with her? It seems like you want her to be in the wrong no matter what.”

He cleared his throat before speaking. “More lies piled on more lies.” He told her before looking up at the woman in front of him.

“Lies are something that I can understand being angry over, but these lies were meant to protect us.” She stepped forward and placed her hand on his shoulder.

Remus snorted bitterly, “She was my first real friend. The first person that didn't want favors from me. The first that laughed with me and talked to me without a care of what I could provide them. The person that led me to find you.”

“What about Santh?” Ophelia realized it probably wasn't the time to ask that question, but it was already hanging in the air.

“Santh... well, I suppose Santh was probably the first, but he is a brooding bastard that never allows himself any fun. In truth, I couldn't understand the two of them together. Lenore who laughs and is lighthearted and Santh whose every decision is acted out as if it is life or death.” He sighed. “So, yes, Santh was the first friend, but I meant outside of the people that I already claimed as family after coming to this school.”

She nodded her head. “Lenore stopped laughing and being lighthearted. She became the person that Santh always claimed she was, and that was a betrayal to all of us. However, when it happened not even Santh believed it.”

“I know.” Remus grinned briefly. “When I first heard the Princess had moved into my South Dorm, I was thrilled. I knew I had a golden mule that no guard would dare question. I was so excited and she had said that her brother was withholding her allowance so I knew she would need money.”

“So, you befriended her in order to use her? You were the person you didn't want her to be.” Ophelia didn't like the sound of this story so far.

Remus chuckled, “Oh no. She saw through me immediately. She told me that she would gladly work for the Fox as long as she met him in person. She made me introduce him.”

“Oh, so Lenore knows who the Fox is too?” Ophelia laughed. “I could have been talking to her about this the entire time?”

He grinned at her as he had suspected she had become aware of the truth. “Clever girl.” He sighed. “Returning to topic. I thought... I thought we had a true friendship that she would come to me for anything and that I could go to her. She lied to me, Ophelia. She lied and then she never broke that lie. She would have gladly allowed us all to hate her forever. Therefore, I would have hated a lie my entire life.”

“You know the truth now, is that not enough?”

He slowly shook his head, “She didn't tell us the truth. We stole the information. She planned on never whispering the truth to us. After all this is over then what? She abandons us again?”

“Or she has plans but right now is not the time. She has to worry about her brother more than she had to worry about our feelings.” Ophelia sighed. “Perhaps, you should sleep on your new found information. How about you go lay down and I run to the stall to get some mead to share?”

“I should accompany you.”

Ophelia laughed, “There are plenty of guards about, besides I need some fresh air and time to myself.”

“Very well.”

---***---

Anton and Jolon sat on the floor of their room with desks on their laps. There were no classes at the moment, but the servants brought assignments from the professors for everyone. They were expected to be completed in a week's time before more assignments were sent.

No one knew how long they would wait until life resumed here, but the Mondue investigators did not want the students trampling around for fear they might harm evidence. Of course, it left the question of how students in the classrooms would stumble upon any evidence of a crime that occurred in the Royal Dorm. Most thought it was simply the Mondues flexing their power which they rarely were able to show.

Entering the room, Saena had her own desk on her side and sat down on the ground with her back facing the door. She sighed audibly as she unrolled her scroll on the desk and began her work. However, her sighing continued for some moments before it became unbearable for one member of the room.

“Is there something the matter?” Jolon asked with slight annoyance in his voice.

She looked up at him confused. “What? No.”

“You are sighing a great deal.” Anton spoke with a softer tone. “I am trying to get this work done before I have to leave with Lenore.”

“I apologize. I didn't realize that I was sighing.” She sighed once more and caught herself with a chuckle. “I guess I am. I suppose I am just feeling helpless right now. I see Lenore moving all these pieces and I am not one of them.”

Jolon's annoyance dissipated, “We are all helpless in these matters. This is a stage set for only those far above us, but unfortunately we still have to pay the admission fee.”

Saena brought her brows together in confusion.

“Metaphors or an attempt at poetry? I can't tell.” Anton teasingly snorted. “What he means is that the Royal families have problems and we commoners always think that we are helpless but we are the ones that are used most to fight these problems and we ultimately pay the price. For once, I am glad that we aren't as involved as we could be.”

“You are going to meet an assassin tonight. How is that not involved?” Jolon questioned him with irritation in his voice.

“You are just as involved, and I was trying to make her feel better.” He replied with frustration.

“How are you making her feel better by telling her we are getting used by the Royals?” He motioned his hand toward Jolon. “That will only make her feel worse.”

Anton scoffed, “Isn't that what your love poetry just then was about?”

“Boys!” Saena interrupted. “Thank you. I understand that I just need to stand by and wait for Lenore to ask something of me. If she needs me she will tell me otherwise it is best that I remain outside of this issue.”

The two men fell into silence as they returned to their scrolls. Once in a while they would toss glares at one another.

Saena wished she had not said anything as the room was thick with discontent. Sometimes she wondered why these two were friends at all.

The door behind her opened and Harona entered. “Not done yet? Do you need help?”

Anything to stop these two, Saena thought to herself. “Yes, please. I'm sure we could all use your assistance.”

Entering the room, she closed the door behind her and sat next to Saena. “Oh no, that is wrong. You should have...”

“Ass.” Anton jumped to his feet before rushing out the door.

“Was that directed to me?” Harona asked with fear in her heart.

“No, it was for me.” Jolon assured her before he released a large sigh. “I started a fight with him for no good reason. I'm just worried about what he is doing tonight.”

---***---

Standing behind the library in the bushes, Lenore stood stoically as Santh and Anton remained quiet behind her. She had made it clear to them that they were here as bodies only and that no questions asked of them would be answered by this stranger they were to meet.

She seemed rather calm and anyone who looked upon her would have agreed. However, Santh could see the nervous behavior as she held her own hand just a little too tightly. Her eyes moved around cautiously but he could see her chewing slightly on the inside of her cheek.

Anton did not hide his nervousness at all. He pivoted from one foot to the other and ran his hands through his hair. The swallowing was becoming louder and louder until Santh wanted to choke him.

“Princess Lenore.” A shadowy figured appeared with a hood over his head. He bowed politely before speaking. “It is true that we received letters from your brother, however they were blank. We used all sorts of methods in case it was a hidden message. It was not invisible ink nor radiant nor anything else we could muster. The pages were blank.”

Lenore slowly nodded her head. “I see. What do your people think of these strange letters? Why would someone send them?”

He was quiet for a moment, but his raspy voice spoke with almost near kindness and respect for Lenore. “We believe that they were sent to appear as if he had correspondence with us. This was not the case, milady. We would have never been involved in a plot on the King's life. Your father was clear on his dealings with us and we are fully aware of consequences if we were to be seen as his killers.”

“Are you? Did you not think to inform us of these bizarre letters? Even if you were not directly involved you were complacent.” Lenore crossed her arms.

Santh and Anton looked between each other briefly. There felt as if there was another conversation happening before them that they were not privy to.

The shadowy figure was quiet as he thought, and for a brief moment he twitched as if he was nervous about what he might say next. “Milady, we informed your father.”

The tension in Lenore's shoulders relaxed. “My father was aware? He made no mention of it to me, and why was I not informed?”

“He... commanded us to only bring the information to him. You were to be left out of this entirely.” He seemed to lower his head more.

Taking a deep breath, Lenore composed herself. “It seems I have become involved whether he had wanted it or not. Do you still have the letters?”

He gave a nod. “I will have them delivered to you.”

“Good. Then I do not suppose you have any advice on where I could direct my investigation?” She tightened the arms that she had folded around her.

“We believe that the bottle was poisoned before Prince Lesatan received it, therefore it would be wise to check the hands that brought it to him.” He folded his hands in front of him and seemed to be standing like a child being scolded.

“Solid advice. Good night.” She bowed her head to him.

“Milady, one more word if you would. The Brotherhood was not involved in the King's murder. It is vital that we be cleared of any wrong doing immediately. No one will hire such a beloved King's killers. It would be in bad taste amongst our clients to continue to keep us contracted.” He anxiously cleared his throat. “When the Prince is cleared, it would benefit us if he admitted this.”

Lenore nodded. “I will ask it of him.”

“Thank you,” He bowed graciously though he continued to seem uneasy. “and, milady, our friendship continues, yes?”

“For now.”

“My people will be pleased. If you will excuse me, Princess.” With that he disappeared back into the darkness.

---***---

With a basket in her hand filled with mead and pastries, Ophelia had decided to take a shortcut through the woods instead of following the pathway to the dorm. It was quite dark and the longer she was out here alone the more her heart raced. In truth, she had felt like she was being followed since she left the dorm. She kept telling herself that it was all in her head, but she wished she had allowed Remus to come along with her now.

She was still a bit away from the dorm, but knowing how close she was was calming her nerves. Yet, it seemed like she would never arrive as it felt as if the distance kept becoming further away with every noise she heard.

“Lady Ophelia Romanus.” A voice called out to her and she startled before looking around to find the origin of the voice. “It is I, Lord Damek Tahan.” The man appeared from the darkness.

She had no idea why he would wish to speak to her as he never had before. More importantly, she did not understand how he had found her in the woods. “Lord Damek, why are you out here at this hour?”

“I could ask the same of you, milady.” He came to stand in front of her with his hands folded behind his back.

“I am returning from the hamlet. The others are waiting for me to bring mead and pastries to them.” She lied about others as she knew it was only Remus, but she was afraid of telling him that no one was truly waiting for her as she expect Remus to be napping.

“I see.” Damek watched her try to step around him, but hurried to put himself in front of her once more. “I do have something to ask of you, Lady Ophelia.”

“Oh, yes, of course.” She tried to seem calm and act like she was not suspicious of him at all, but she couldn't help her hands shaking.

Damek took the basket from her, “This seems heavy and we might be talking for a bit.” He placed it on the ground next to him.

“You could simply carry it for me back to the dorm. Join us in our festivities.” Ophelia swallowed and tried to produce a smile.

“Lady Ophelia,” He said completely ignoring her invitation. “I must speak with Princess Piera immediately. Do you have any information about how I could reach her?”

“I would assume writing to the palace. No doubt the Queen would be privy to such information.” She knew she was lying again, but she would not trust this man especially now that he was asking questions about Piera.

Damek grinned, “Yes, though she is here at the university as you well know.” He paused for a moment. “I have been informed that she was pregnant. It is important that I be kept updated.”

“Who... who told you?” Ophelia realized her mistake by admitting that Piera was pregnant, but there was nothing she could say or do that could change those words.

“Prince Lesatan.” He said without any deception. “He wants to me keep him informed on her progress until he is released and all of this ends.”

“As I said, you should contact the Queen.” Ophelia picked up the basket, “I really must return. The others...”

Damek grabbed the basket as he sensed her rising suspicions. He sighed before speaking again. “Lady Ophelia, I truly wish you would reconsider. This is my attempt at being gentle, but I can be cruel.”

With those words several men appeared near by but Ophelia recognized none of them. They were in their uniforms and some seemed too old to be attending school here.

Damek took Ophelia's chin in his hand and turned her to face him. “Tell me everything you know about where Piera went, and when this is over I shall reward you handsomely. The fortress returned to your family without this nonsense of four years suffering in this school. If not, then I am afraid my friends here have an itch they just can't scratch themselves.”

Ophelia's brows furrowed as she spit in his face.

With another sigh, Damek looked at the other men. “Make the little bitch talk.” He said as he watched the men approach Ophelia who tried to scream but a hand quickly muffled her attempts.