Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 20: Two Fold

First day of classes after such a long period off had been tiring, though none of the professors seemed to be willing to allow their pupils to ease back into the intellectual side of the school. Instead, they were overloaded with work that needed to be finished immediately.

Lenore and Ophelia walked back to the dorms together, as the younger girl had run to the entrance of the classrooms in order to wait for the Princess. Neither said much to the other as they made their way back, and when they approached the dorm they noticed that Anton, Routine, and Remus all stood on the platform. The three men looked worried which brought curiosity to the girls' mind.

"Why are you standing about?" Lenore asked as she and her friend reached the bottom of the stairs.

They looked between each other as if they were having a silent conversation telling the other to speak first. Remus was the one to give in. "I suggest looking at your dorm room."

Lenore and Ophelia traded looks, and both thought that perhaps their room had been ransacked. They made their way up the stairs and the boys stepped aside so they could access the hallway. Once they were half way down the hall they could see that their sliding door had a couple pieces of wood shoved through it, but it appeared that someone had already opened it. No doubt one of their dorm mates in an effort to investigate.

When they both stopped in front of the opened sliding door, Ophelia's jaw dropped and Lenore pressed her lips together.

The entire back end of their dorm room including their closets and drawers had collapsed into the rest of the room. The old dorm could no longer support one of it's walls. The roof had fallen along side the wall and one could clearly see the rot that was in the wood. Their beds were crushed and Lenore could only imagine what would have become of them if the two girls had been sleeping in the room at the time.

Dust and the scent of mold filled the room, though it was an constant smell before now it was more than obvious.

Remus came to stand next to Lenore, "We should begin scavenging for valuables immediately, Princess."

"Are we certain that it will not collapse further?" Lenore asked as Ophelia scanned the destroyed room with her eyes.

"I had hoped to ask Jolon, but he has not been seen. Anton claims he said he had to visit the library, and acted rather suspicious when Anton offered to go along." Remus sighed, "No doubt he is meeting a woman. We could wait for him to return, though if it does crash down more items will be destroyed."

Lenore took a deep breath. "I would rather items than our bodies. After all..."

"Oh no, please, no!" Ophelia screenched and hurried into what remained of the floor. She grabbed a picture frame from under one of the beams. The frame was broken at the corners and on the left side the frame had snapped in the middle. The glass that protected the painting was shattered. She held it up with tears in her eyes, showing a painted picture of a horse running through a field. "This was the last gift my father ever gave me."

Stepping forward, Lenore took the frame and looked it over. "The corners are easily repaired, and I would bet that Jolon could fix the rest. The glass can be replaced, and look the painting is just fine."

Anton came to stand next to Remus now that the two girls were inside the room. He looked around as he hadn't gotten a decent look at the room before. "All the other rooms are fine, but I wonder how long that will last."

Routine went into his own dorm room as the others spoke, and seemed uninterested in the occurrences around him.

Lenore looked around the room, "At least there is a spare dorm room. We will have to find what we can and move it across the hall." Ophelia stood with a large frown on her face and everyone knew she was close to crying. Lenore placed her hand on her shoulder and smiled. "It is not as bad as it seems. Once we start working, you will see."

Ophelia nodded and looked over at Remus, who grinned and then winked at her. After that, he pulled up his sleeves and stepped into the room ready to assist them in finding their items. "I do so hope that I discover the undergarments." He jested.

Both girls who had been bent over looking through the debris, stood up straight and glared at the man out of the corner of their eyes.

Anton laughed at Remus' who looked as if he had been cast into stone, before he went about assisting in the project as well.

---***---

"Pardon me!" Krine called out as she approached the dorm, her eyes immediately noticed that in the back it appeared that one corner of the Unmentionable's dorm had fallen. Her brows came together as she moved closer to the platform, "Excuse me!"

Remus appeared from down the hallway, "Krine, what a pleasant surprise. I am afraid that Santh never returned after classes." He informed her as Lenore, who had dirt smudges on her face, came to stand beside him.

"Did you say Krine?" Lenore asked and looked down the stairs at the much taller woman. "Santh's Krine?"

The woman smiled and bowed her head, "Princess Lenore, it is a true honor to meet your acquaintance. Krine Ricacalen, only child of Morin Ricacalen from Saija."

"Formalities are not needed here, Krine." Lenore informed her. "Here I am merely Lenore."

Krine bowed her head once, "Has something happened? It appears that one of your corners collapsed."

Remus heard a pleasant tone amongst the woman and he saw pleasant looks upon their faces, but the very senses that desired his survival informed him that there was nothing pleasant occurring in this situation. He decided that his only true option in this moment was to excuse himself entirely and return to the task at hand.

"Yes, I am afraid one of our dorm rooms collapsed." Lenore sighed, "Of course, it had to be mine and Ophelia's."

"Oh dear, no one was inside, were they?"

The Princess shook her head, "No, we were all at classes when it occurred." She cleared her throat, "Well, I must return to plucking my items out of the debris."

"Allow me to be an extra hand." Krine offered, and she could see the Princess was about to decline and so she added. "If I am to be with Santh, then I must take on the responsibility of assisting his friends, Princess."

Lenore swallowed down her anger at the sound of her title, she was about to speak again when Santh appeared from the pathway. He looked between the two woman. Lenore was about to inform him what had happened when Krine hurried over beside him.

"Santh, something awful has happened. The Princess' room has collapsed and all her items are inside." She took his upper arm.

He had originally wanted to question why she was there, but his eyes immediately turned to Lenore. "Is anyone hurt?"

Lenore shook her head, "No, we were at classes when it happened. Though, we can not find Jolon in order to ask him about the safety of the structure, I... Armand?"

Armand appeared from down the pathway. He gave a brief bow to Lenore, before he began to speak. "Milady, your brother wishes to see you with haste. I am afraid that I am not allowed to leave without you at my side."

Scratching her nose, she sighed heavily. "Armand, my room collapsed and..."

"Are you hurt?" He rushed past Krine and Santh, and hurried up the stairs to take her hands and looked her over.

"I am fine, but I have to recover my belongings. Perhaps, tomorrow?"

He shook his head and used his thumb in an attempt to wipe away a smudge of dirt from her cheek. "I am afraid not. He demands it be now."

Tossing back her head briefly, she looked down at Krine. "If it would not be too much trouble, could you please offer your hands while mine are away?"

"Of course, Princess."

Lenore turned to Armand, "Allow me to wash my face and I will be with you shortly."

---***---

Jolon hurried behind the library in hopes that no one had spotted him. Even though it was the first day of classes, it felt that being the champion of the school brought either friendly smiles or glares of contention. Still, no one talked to him or Anton throughout the day.

Once he reached the back of the library, he leaned against the stone wall and took a deep breath. He had nearly screamed at Anton earlier to leave him alone and knew that he would have to explain himself later. The look on his friend's face told him that he was shocked by his actions. Of course, Jolon was also shocked that he was acting this way and keeping secrets from even his closest friend.

The area behind the library had a servants' pathway which would hide them from view from the students' walkways. Every few moments a group of servants would appear with goods they were carrying from one area to another. Jolon would perk up every time he heard someone coming and then lean back when his hopes were dashed.

"Jolon." A voice whispered from the nearby bushes.

He stood up to investigate and moved behind the bush only for an arm to yank him down and out of sight.

Saena smiled at him with her large eyes offering a form of hero worship that he had never experienced before. "I am late." She stated with a giggle.

"I noticed."

"You should have seen the amount of pots that needed to be washed. I wish the Princess would go back to making trouble for your dorm. There were many tasks that were left for them." She told him playfully.

"Are you finished with your day's work?"

She slowly shook her head. "I am afraid that there are many linens that need to be washed, and they have to be completed by tomorrow. We are going to take them down to the stream and then dry them in the dining hall cellar."

"In the cellar?"

She nodded, "Yes, we lit the fires for the pots and they dry much more quickly, however we have to watch them so they do not catch fire."

"I have a great deal of work myself."

She nodded knowingly, "The Professors always give extra work after the tournaments. Make sure you do well or else you'll never complete all four years."

He grinned at her comment and wondered if she fully understood what it meant for him to stay four years, but decided that he didn't want to burden the conversation with such a heavy subject. "It is good to see you."

Saena smiled and blushed slightly. "Shall we meet here again tomorrow?"

"Anton will become suspicious."

"Would Anton inform the school? He didn't seem the type." Her eyes held a fair amount of worry.

Jolon shook his head and then reached for Saena's hands. It was the first time that he noticed that there was a basket between them full of white linens. Her hands held the basket tight even though it was set on the ground and the two of them kneeling behind a bush.

He kissed her knuckles once he brought her hands away from the basket and then smiled at her. "I shall see you tomorrow."

Taking a deep breath, Saena looked pleased. "Tomorrow then." With that she grabbed her basket and stood up before hurrying back to the servant's pathway.

Jolon stayed behind the bush for a few moments in hopes to not be seen by another that saw her, and then popped up to head back to his dorm. The meeting had been shorter than he had hoped.

---***---

Lesatan sat behind his desk when Lenore entered his office. Enoch and Krius immediately shuffled out and Armand remained in the hallway. The door closed once they had all exited the room, leaving Lenore and her brother alone.

He motioned for her to take a seat and she did so without any fuss. In truth, she was curious what topic her brother had summoned her for, especially when his advisers left the room. Lesatan rarely allowed conversations to be between just the two of them. After all he did believe she was planning to assassinate him in one manner or another, so why give her a golden opportunity?

The Prince looked over a couple scrolls on his desk, no doubt trying to engage his sister's inquisitive side. It was working even if she could see right through his antics.

"If I am simply here to watch you read letters, I would ask to be excused. I have a great deal of school work ahead of me, as I am sure you do as well." Lenore went to stand up, but Lesatan quickly motioned for her to sit which she did.

"I have brought you here to ask for your advice." He watched as the emotions on of her face went from suspicious to curious. "It is time that I began looking at women for a potential wife. My mother has offered me quite the list, but I would prefer to know if you have any thoughts. Perhaps an acquaintance?"

"I do not understand why you would consult me on such a delicate matter. This is a subject between you and the Queen, and I shall not get myself involved."

Lesatan snorted, "You are the only female confidant I have. Armand, Enoch, and Krius can inform me of a woman's decorum or beauty, but they can not see truly what is within her like another woman can. Certainly, as a woman of this school, you have seen women that could act as a proper queen and wife."

Lenore looked her brother over as if she was testing him for deception. "I am afraid that I will have to disappoint you. I have kept myself rather isolated from women that would be suitable. In fact, Piera Nicoletti and Ophelia Romanus are the only two females of note."

"And do you approve of either them to become queen?"

Standing up from her chair, Lenore looked down at her brother. "What exactly are you plotting, Les? I am certain that your mother already has a woman in mind. She would not be pleased if you went against her wishes."

"My mother will not be working beside my future wife, and therefore whatever she wants is irrelevant." He motioned once more for her to sit, but his sister did not.

Lenore chuckled at his comment, "If you ever plan to speak those words directly to her, please allow me to be present. It would be of great amusement to me to see the Queen slap you for once instead of me."

Her brother's face held no anger nor humor at her comment. He simply sat quietly for a few seconds. "I believe I should take that comment to believe that you will assist me no further in this matter?"

"No, I have one token amount of advice. You should find someone that you can stand in a room with and not wish death upon, and who doesn't wish it upon you. That should be enough." With that Lenore walked toward the door, "Good evening, brother."

Lesatan stood as Lenore opened the door and moved down the hallway. His advisers shuffled into the room and seemed to be awaiting to hear what had occurred.

The Prince looked toward them with a smirk. "Piera Nicoletti, she is the second born of the Souchan Guild Leader, is she not?"

"She is." Armand answered.

Lesatan turned his attention to Krius, "Invite the Lady Nicoletti to my study with haste. I shall not take no for an answer."

The large adviser bowed his head before rushing toward the door to fulfill his Prince's demand. Once he was gone, Lesatan sat back down in his chair and looked toward his other two advisers.

"I do not see how mother could deny such a prosperous marriage." He smirked and could tell that his advisers were wondering what he found to be so humorous. "She doesn't even realize what she has done. It will be joy to my heart when the pieces come together for her."

---***---

The group took a break from going through the debris while Ophelia remained at the stream as she tried to clean the clothing found within the room. Once in a while, they could hear her sobbing and even mumbling to herself, but they left her alone. She seemed to want the space.

Everything was covered in dust and molded wood chips. However, thus far nothing had shifted further though Santh had ordered the the girls leave the room while the men looked through it. Routine informed them that he had to finish his class work and that they would all regret wasting their evening trying to salvage meaningless items.

Krine was left to wipe off anything that was not clothing and place it in the room across the hall. She had been kind to all of the dorm mates, and had even gone to fetch water for them. Anton had commented on how pleasant she was while she was away, but that seemed to only a lit Santh's fury.

The female Mondue asked several times how long the Princess would be, and she was corrected each time about the use of Lenore's title. She seemed undeterred by their scolding and continued to call her the Princess.

When a break was called Santh moved toward Krine and motioned for her to come with him. She followed him toward the stream but further down so that Ophelia couldn't hear their conversation.

"Why did you... why are you..." Santh wanted to ask in a way that wouldn't offend the woman. He had no idea why she had appeared at his dorm or why Lenore had asked her to assist in her absence. Though, he didn't understand completely why he was assisting in digging out their belongings in the first place.

Krine smiled gently as she watched him attempt to stutter out a question. "I came to call upon you, but you hadn't arrived home yet."

"You are acting overly friendly to them, are you not?" Santh didn't understand why he cared how this woman treated his dorm mates, but the question was released from his lips long before he could consider his internal reasoning for asking it.

"I suspect you mean the Princess more than anyone else." She gave him a brief moment to change the expression upon his face. He did so almost immediately as if he was first surprised that she would have the gall to speak of such things, and then he wanted to deny it, but she wouldn't allow him to. "My reason for my actions are two fold. She is the Princess and one should never be rude toward her, and second I doubt jealousy will win you over to my side. Instead, I shall befriend Lenore." She looked rather proud of herself as she crossed her arms and looked up into his eyes.

"Befriend her?" Santh's voice told of shock and disdain for such a course of action, but once more he was uncertain as to why. He was the one that asked for Krine to be brought into his life, and now he felt as if he was fighting her from the moment they met.

"Yes, does that bother you?" She asked the question knowing full well what the answer was, and therefore gave him no time to react. "Does it worry you that she will grow to care for me, and never attempt to take you for herself?"

Santh fumed for a moment. He was beginning to remember once more what Mondue women were truly like. Diabolical sadists, who would stop at nothing in order to get the man that they have chosen for themselves. "You have played your hand too early, Krine."

She slowly shook her head, "No, I highly doubt that." She watched as curiosity fill his eyes. "I would never lie to you about my intentions and thus far I never have. However, if you inform Lenore of this ploy then you will have to confess to her. I do not believe you are capable nor do you wish for her to know... though I do not know why. It seems everyone else in the dorm is already quite aware, judging from the jesting that I have heard this night."

Santh glared down at the woman as if he wished to burn a hole through her forehead.

Krine didn't react and instead kept the grin upon her lips, "You have been away from the Mondues for too long, Santh. You forget that our women are not so easily scared. Now, shall we return? I am certain that the break has come to an end." With that, she headed back toward the dorm, leaving Santh to stand alone with his thoughts.

---***---

Lenore was in a hurry to return to her dorm and assist in finding her belongings. Her mind was locked on all the items that could be destroyed and her scented lotion bottle was one of them. Part of her wondered if Ophelia was dealing well with this traumatic event, and she was also curious to see if Krine had actually stayed to assist. As she hurried down the hall, a body came to stand before her.

She looked into the eyes of the handsome Authin, who was quick to bow to her. "Congratulations on your championship, Princess."

Groaning internally, she decided to be candid so she could escape his presence with haste. "Authin, I do not have time to play games with you. I am needed elsewhere." Stepping around him, she once more attempted to run toward the door. She simply didn't have the will or desire to play with the suspicious man, no matter how beautiful his face was.

"I wanted to apologize." He watched as those words stopped her and forced her to turn around and face him. Walking through the torch lit hallway, he came to stand in front of her. "I admit that your brother asked me to seduce you." He could already see in her eyes that she was playing scenarios out in her mind as to what his purpose was in telling her.

"What is your ploy by telling me this now?" Lenore raised an eyebrow.

The question made Authin smirk as he knew she would arrive at this reasoning. The Princess was quite paranoid, and he doubted that even her dorm mates were seen as true friends. No, Lenore didn't have any real friends. Everyone could be disposed of if they no longer served a purpose, and if they proved they could no longer be of use to her. That much he was quite certain of.

"I just enjoy your company, and I do not wish to lose your friendship. If ever there comes a time when you can forgive me, I would be eternally grateful." He informed himself that his apology was masterfully done, but Lenore didn't seem like she was very pleased. He would need to adjust it slightly in order to appeal to her. "After all, I have become part of your brother's circle, and I can inform you of his schemes."

This caused Lenore to cock her head to the side and step toward him. She continued to move forward and initially Authin stood firm, but the closer she moved the more he felt an invisible force pushing him toward the wall.

Lenore stopped once his back was pressed against the stone, "If I ever discover that you have betrayed my brother's trust, you can assure yourself that I will stop at no lengths to cause your destruction, are we clear?"

"Yes."

She took a deep breath and stepped back twice. "As for your apology, once you break my trust, it can never be earned back. I forgive you, but you shall never be part of my life. Return to my brother and tell him that you have failed in your tasks."

Authin watched her as she began to run toward the entrance and out of sight. He adjusted his clothing and stepped away from the wall. Taking a few breaths, he watched the door she had disappeared through, "I am beginning to lose my patience, dear Princess." He mumbled to himself before turning in the opposite direction and heading for his own room.

He didn't get far before Armand stepped out from behind a corner. "The Prince will not be pleased."

Authin stopped in the hallway and looked over his shoulder at the other man. "Eavesdropping? How very rude."

Armand chuckled, "What is your plan of attack now?"

Taking a deep breath, he thought for a moment. "As of now, a glass of wine and a pile of class work."

"Shall I join you? I might be able to assist in creating a new plan."

"If it pleases you." Authin began to move once more down the hallway, but this time with an adviser in tow.

---***---

Jolon smiled widely as he made his way toward the dorms. He had never had secrets, at least not any real secrets, before as he had always tried to be the good child. Something about sneaking around to see Saena made it feel more exciting which made the experience far more pleasing. He knew he would eventually have to confide in someone, but for now he would enjoy the moment.

As he exited into the dirt court, his eyes went directly to the collapsed corner in the back of the dorm. It was the movement of his dorm mate, Remus, that pulled his eyes toward the area. He hurried over to the corner on the outside of the dorm and stared at the disaster.

"Is everyone alright?" He asked frantically.

Remus and Anton were standing amongst the debris and stood up to look down at him as they were standing on the platform.

"It happened during classes." Anton informed him. "We have been waiting for you to return. Where did you disappear to?"

Jolon's eyes briefly caught Remus' express of humor and he knew that his room mate was aware that he was involved in something scandalous. One couldn't keep information from Remus for long and in this case not at all.

"I was at the library." He turned his head as Krine appeared out of the woods and headed back into the dorm to resume her duties of wiping down items.

Santh appeared shortly thereafter with his usual frown. "Where have you been?" He asked Jolon with annoyance in his words. "The one day we need your assistance and you disappear without so much as telling us where we might find you."

"Leave him be, Santh." Remus yawned as he pulled another shoe out of the pile and tossed it into the hallway.

Santh took a deep breath and then returned his attention to Jolon, "Can it be salvaged?"

"The room?" Jolon looked around at the area, "The wood has wet rot. I would suspect that it's throughout the entire dorm from the looks of things. It might not be long before the rest of the dorm collapses."

"Can anything be done?" Lenore's voice suddenly asked from behind him.

Jolon startled for a moment as he turned around to face her. "Yes, it needs to be torn down and rebuilt."

She looked at the mess, "How long do we have before it is no longer safe to sleep inside?"

"We have rushed passed that thresh hold long ago." Jolon pointed to a piece of wood. "It's wet rot." He used his index finger to poke the wood and it fell apart with the most gentle of touches. "This entire place could collapse over a shift in the ground."

No one dared to ask Lenore what her brother had wanted with her, and Lenore looked more interested in the dorm then whatever had happened at the Royal Dorms. She ran her hands over her eyes, "This dorm was rebuilt during my grandfather's time and was managed until after my father left the school. It has spent years being neglected, therefore it was only a matter of time."

Krine stood up from the floor in the hallway, "Princess, may I be excused? The dinner bell shall ring soon."

"Yes, of course, Krine. Thank you for your hard work." Lenore told the woman as she hurried to get to the dining hall.

Santh crossed his arms, "Then I suppose everyone should return to their original dorms, if the building is no longer safe."

"What of Jolon and myself? We have no other dorm to return to." Anton stepped over a beam in order to get closer to Santh who was not on the platform.

Santh looked toward Lenore and the two stood silently for a moment, before Remus began to speak. "I might be able to find you lodging, but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience."

The two commoner's sighed and then Jolon spoke for both of them, "I would rather sleep outside, but thank you."

---***---

Krius walked beside the Souchan girl, who had been ordered by the large man to accompany him to see the Prince. The friends she was walking to the dining hall with had nearly squealed and fainted that she had been invited, but Piera wasn't certain what the future king could want with her.

She had never been in the Royal Dorms before, other than sneaking into a suitor's window late at night. The hallways all looked exactly alike as if they wanted to confuse anyone who didn't belong. Though, the large adviser next to her seem more than capable of being a deterrent. She had only ever seen him from afar, but now she was certain she would no longer sneak into these dorms again.

Other than telling her that she needed to come with him and the Prince wanted to see her, Krius had not spoken a single word to her. When she asked a question, he would grunt or ignore her entirely. When they reached the Prince's study, he opened the door and motioned her to enter then shut the door behind her.

Lesatan stood from the overstuffed chair in front of his fireplace. "Lady Nicoletti, please come and sit."

Piera remembered all the years she had gone to etiquette classes both at the school and at home, and hurried to curtsey to him.

"That won't be necessary." Lesatan told her before she even began, "Please, eat your meal with me. I have had our plates delivered from the dining hall here. All the meat is cooked over a spit in the hall. I shall have to show you."

Swallowing, Piera moved to the other overstuffed chair in front of the fireplace and Lesatan surprised her by handing her a plate filled with pork, berries, and a vegetable mash. It wasn't what she expected to be served at the Royal Dorms, but then again it still looked better than what they ate in the normal dining hall.

"Thank you, milord." She took the plate from him and placed it on her lap.

Lesatan did the same with his own plate and the two began to eat. He didn't say much in why he had brought her to be here, but he made light conversation about her classes and her family. "The Nicoletti's have always been very faithful to my family." He told her once he finished his last bite from his plate. "Despite how poorly they were treated during the war."

"My family has always known when to set aside grudges." She told him as he took her plate from her and set it on the mantle along with his own.

"And when is that?"

"When they no longer assist you, and only cause harm." She swallowed the remaining amount of food in her mouth. "Milord, if I may be so bold as to ask, but why have you brought me here this evening? Not that I am complaining, the food and the company have been wonderful." Piera tried to hide that this man sent shivers of fear up and down her spine.

Lesatan partially grinned, "I am examining potential in certain individuals."

"Potential, milord?"

"Yes, for a wife. Your name has been mentioned more than once to me by several individuals and in all honestly I believe that such a coupling could have great merits. My being half Mondue and you being a Souchan, we can continue to bring the people together."

Piera began to chant to herself that she should not pass out, no matter how terrifying this offer sounded. "Milord, I am flattered, but my past is hardly one that would be suitable for a queen."

Lesatan leaned against the fireplace as he had never sat back down, "I have been informed of your little adventures throughout the school, and they will end now that I am considering you. Do you understand?"

She was about to argue with him, but realized that would be an inappropriate response. "Yes, milord."

"As for whether or not you are suitable, I believe I will judge that for myself."

---***---

Dalton sat in the library with his head on the table before him. Every time he looked at the equations on the scrolls his head would begin to spin. He could be removed from the school if his marks didn't increase and this was the only matter on his mind, so much so that he couldn't concentrate on the very work that needed to be done.

Across from him, Audrey, was completing her own work, but though her marks were passing it was just barely. Of course, the professors were more gentle with the first years while they grew accustom to their new life at the school.

His sister was the only one who would be seen with him and it also worked in reverse. Every one stayed away from the Vinsons, and even when asked a question the person would hurry to answer and find a way to escape. No one wanted to be seen with them, which meant they couldn't find anyone to assist them with their work.

"I never see Lenore study." Audrey mumbled.

Dalton lifted his head slightly and looked at his sister whose long red hair had fallen over her face and onto the scroll she was writing on. "You'll get ink in your hair." He warned.

Audrey grabbed a leather tie from her pocket and pulled her hair back, before she continued. "She lives in a barn at our house and in the servant's quarters in the castle for twelve years, and never attends any classes, and yet here we are struggling while she is passing without any effort at all." Audrey tossed her quill into the ink and looked up at her brother. "Perhaps, mother is right. We should go before her, treat her as if she is a superior princess, despite knowing better, and ask her for assistance."

Dalton sat entirely back and glared across the table at his sister. "Why can't you or mother talk about anything but Lenore?"

"Beg pardon?"

He rolled his eyes, "Every time I see you two, your mouths have no words other than those that involve Lenore. Do you know how dangerous it is for a member of the Vinson family to be speaking of the Princess in public? There are people all around us just waiting for their moment to end our reign and send us to where they believe we always belong; the dungeons."

Crossing her arms, she leaned back in her chair. "I merely suggested we ask for her help before it falls on Clarice to pass in order for us to keep our position."

"At least, Lenore will be willing to assist Clarice. A sound plan, eh?" He watched her raise an eyebrow. "We step aside and allow Clarice to rule. Whether you have finished your two years here or not, you'll still marry a cousin of ours due to our mother's history, and I no doubt shall marry some hideous creature. Why should we struggle so, when we are meant to meet the same fate?"

Audrey sat up straight in her chair, "It will not be. You said so yourself that if you were to become the duke that you would change our image."

He snorted, "I was naïve and had never seen the real world. Look around, Audrey, these people loathe us for something our ancestors did long before we were alive."

Rolling up her scroll, Audrey stood from the table. "If I wished to be told how horrible I am I would study in the girls' dorm."

"Where are you going?" Dalton asked as she began to walk away.

She turned to speak over her shoulder, "I am going to find a quiet place away from you and your constant naysaying. I will not live the life you have foreseen for yourself. If you wish to live as Vinson trash then do so, I shall not!"

Taking a deep breath, Dalton placed his quill back into the ink and leaned back. He wondered if Lenore would even hear him ask for help before laughing at him. She owed him nothing but she would be the only one willing to be seen around him as they were related. Then again, she might be putting distance between herself from the Vinsons.

He shook the thought away. He would never ask for help from that woman. Never.

---***---

The evening ended with everyone removing their beds from the dorm rooms and bringing them outside. It wouldn't rain or snow for another month or two, while they figured out what to do about their dorm.

The idea of abandoning it along with Anton and Jolon was forgotten. No one wanted to leave two of their friends at the misery of another dorm or alone in this crumbling mess.

Living outside brought challenges and the old curtain from Routine's room was brought outside and hung up in the woods for everyone to take turns changing. Routine had not been pleased when he was informed that the dorm had to be evacuated, and that now he would have to deal with the entire dorm during his study time instead of just a room mate.

The girls' beds were placed behind the dorm closer to the stream and the boys' brought theirs into the dirt court. It allowed some privacy, though the five males now had to spend all their evenings together and they wondered how they would explain this to the Mondues in the morning.

Lenore and Ophelia were sitting on the steps as the rest of the group finished getting ready for bed. The curtain had to be used in twos in order to save time, but Santh went alone as everyone assumed it would be uncomfortable to change behind a curtain with the brooding, large man.

"When I first arrived, I wondered how this could get any worse." Anton told everyone as he laid on his stomach on the bunk bed that had been pulled apart so they were now their own separate beds. No one had any idea that they could do that until they were dragging them out, of course there was no room in each dorm for separate beds either.

"So this was your fault." Remus jested as he cared for his nails with a file on his own bed.

They had positioned the beds as to not block the pathway, so they were along the woods on the right side of the dirt court. Santh had already fallen asleep and didn't seemed bothered by the noise around him.

"How are we going to fix this?" Jolon asked from his own bed.

"You and Anton will have to petition the school council to rebuild the dorm." Lenore explained as Ophelia laid her head against her friend's shoulder and tried to hold back her tears.

"Why us?" Anton popped his head up slightly from his pillow.

Remus took over from there. "The rest of us have no legal claim to the dorm and therefore we can do nothing. It falls to your strength and ability."

The two commoners made eye contact and then Jolon began to speak, "They will never hear us out. We will all be sleeping out in this court until the end of our school days."

"If you fail then we will." Lenore stood from the stairs and wiped down her bottom before looking at Ophelia, "Time for bed then."

The younger girl popped up and hurried around the dorm to her own bed. As Lenore moved to leave she felt Remus appear beside her. "A moment." He spoke in a lowered voice.

They moved around the corner of the dorm in hopes that no one would hear them.

"I am certain that I have some pull and can get things moving along, and I know that you could simply speak to your brother about this issue, as well."

Lenore nodded her head, "Of course, you and I could rush in and make this entire situation better, but what would they learn?"

"Having powerful and rich friends is a true blessing?" He smirked.

Lenore smiled at the comment as well, "They need to learn that they too can have a say in our government. Isn't that what this school is built upon? The student rule."

Remus sighed deeply before running his hands through his hair. "You realize that no one elected you the dorm mother, and no one asks for your life lessons, especially when it comes to me sleeping out in the open."

Reaching out, Lenore patted his shoulder once. "Ah, Remus, do you not see a story in these moments? One to tell your children years from now, about how you lowered yourself to sleep without a roof over your head. How even though you were in the worst conditions possibly, you found yourself having to look for your inner strength?"

"I was already living that story with a partial, rotting roof over my head." He took another deep sigh. "Fine, have it your way, Princess. We will, however, speak when they fail and neither of us have anything but stars for blankets."