Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 55: In Good Faith

Returning from the meeting, Santh and Anton appeared first and saw that their friends were waiting for them to return. Lenore was behind them and watched as the group approached them with Jolon and Harona in the lead.

“Did it go well?” Jolon asked the two men more than Lenore as she was staring down at the coin in her hand.

“The Brotherhood is not involved. They are more worried about what this will do to their reputation. No one wants to hire the killers of a king for fear that they might be seen as the one who hired them to harm him.” Lenore sighed.

“It could be a lie in order to save themselves.” Santh hadn't said much to her on the journey back in fact he did not know why she came to their dorm in the first place.

Slowly, Lenore shook her head. “This coin is sent in good faith. It is their promise that I would go unharmed and that only the truth would be spoken at the meeting. They would have never granted me a meeting if they had been the assassins. No, they are right. I must find out who brought the bottle to my brother in order to find the truth.” She took a deep breath. “Where is Ophelia?” She asked as she looked at the familiar faces.

“Remus said she went into the hamlet earlier.” Saena looked behind her at Remus who was standing on the stairs that lead up to the dorm.

“I will speak to her later then. Routine has retired to his room for the night?” She watched her nod her head before she cleared her throat. “It is time I returned to my room.” With that she turned to leave and did not even look up at Santh as she passed him.

“We know.” Remus finally spoke.

“Remus, be quiet.” A couple voices in the group spoke, but he moved forward to stand with the group staring at Lenore.

“Routine and Ophelia found the order of destruction for our dorm. We know why you left us now. All of us.” He snapped at her.

Lenore sighed audibly before turning around. “That is not important now. We will deal with it later. Right now, my brother needs me.” With that she began to turn around to leave once more, but Remus would have none of that.

“What about the times, we needed you?” He yelled. “What about the times that Ophelia cried and was heartbroken because she was alone? She missed you and did not understand why you would just leave like that?”

Lenore opened her mouth to speak, but he was not through yet.

“What about Santh's feelings and the fact that he had to hide himself away for months before he could return to the group? What about the fact that Routine lost his best friend? The only person he trusted as a person? What about me, Lenore? What about my reliance on you not only for the Fox, but for your friendship as well? What about us?” Remus voice had broken several times. “What about the hearts you left broken? Are we suppose to thank you for what you did? Sing of you as some martyr?”

Lenore swallowed before speaking. “I thought about all that, and in the end it was either destroy my place in your hearts or destroy this dorm and make it where some of you have no where to live. So, I chose the former. My heart suffered too, but I suppose as usual this is only about Remus' feelings and whether I was heartbroken or not is irrelevant.” She turned to leave and then stopped herself to speak over her shoulder. “You can keep spitting your venom at me or you can help me. Only one of those will get your friend back, Remus.”

Remus watched as she walked away before his eyes turned to Santh who was glaring at him. “What? It was true!”

With that said Santh hurried to follow after her.
---***---

She found herself drinking herself to sleep every evening and enjoying three or four bottles of wine during the day. When she didn't drink all she could think of was her son's execution. They would behead him and she would be expected to be there to watch. She would be expected to remain expressionless if not pleased and peaceful.

The head she spent so many hours attempting to birth would be removed from the body. The mind she had witnessed grow and turn into a true man would never think again. The one true joy she had in her life would be taken away, all for what? Power? Vengeance? She didn't know. She didn't even know who to truly blame anymore. It was so much easier when she was certain Lenore was behind all her ills, but now she was uncertain.

Lesatan was so certain that Lenore was innocent. So innocent, in fact, that he was allowing her to be his advocate. She shivered at the thought that that woman was the only person between her son and his death. If she was a traitor she would purposely fail, and if she was not a traitor she could fail anyway. She knew that she would never forgive Lenore either way.

Sitting on the windowsill, she stared out at the garden as she swallowed down another glass of wine in one gulp before reaching for the silver pitcher to pour herself more. She had never drank much. She usually had one or two drinks during events, and more often than not Lucius would take sips from her glass so she didn't have to drink it all but still look sociable.

It was hard. She couldn't decide where her grief should go. Should she be mourning her husband or terrified for her son, because when she thought of one she felt guilty that she wasn't thinking of the other. Her heart could not return to the capital as she could not be expected to make decisions. She could think of nothing but her own grief.

There was no one she could trust enough to speak to either. Piera was gone for reasons that were not explained to her. That left her with no one. She had thought to call Lenore to her side. If Lesatan trusted her as his advocate then perhaps she should trust her as well. The thought of everything she had said and done to the Princess kept her from doing so. She couldn't imagine an apology that could turn a traitor or even gain any form of softness in Lenore's heart.

Her hands shook the goblet as she took another large gulp from her glass only to pour herself another one.

She wanted to be with her son in these moments. She wanted to take up residence in the dungeon if need be. Just so she could be with him in his last days.

Hope. There was no hope. Whoever had done this had won. She believed this to be true and knew what would happen to her once it was over.

They would get no satisfaction, she had decided. They would not exile her or kill her without the people's notice. She would take her own life before they could take it from her. She would watch her son die and then she would immediately return to her room to take the poison she stored under her mattress.

Even if Lenore was not guilty, whoever did this would not want her there. They would want her influence removed and that was the harsh reality for her. Her husband murdered, her son executed for that murder, and she self-slaughtered.

A tear ran down her cheek as she thought this one truth to herself. She didn't even know if she was strong enough to go through with the plan, but thought that perhaps in her grief she would find the strength.

Death was knocking on the door of all of her loved ones. If it was to knock on her own, she would open it instead of locking it and pretending that he couldn't break through.

However, she would keep that door shut until Lesatan no longer needed her. When he was gone from this world, she would rejoin her lost loves.

The thought tasted bitter in her mouth and her mind told her how cowardly she was being, but her heart knew how powerless it was both emotionally and in society. She was the Queen who had been rendered helpless by her own citizens.

---***---

“Lenore.” Santh called as she jogged up behind her. His hair had been in a low ponytail all night but had slowly come loose.

Slowly the Princess turned around to look at him as they stood in the dirt pathway. “Will this be quick? I am exhausted and wish to return to my room.”

He lowered his eyes for a brief moment before he began to speak. “I... I suppose it was nothing. You should hurry home.”

A slight smile came to her lips as she lifted her hand and touched his chin. “You removed that patch of hair.”

“Yeah, I needed a change.” He could barely look into her eyes as his cheeks blushed from her touch.

“I'm glad. You look less abrasive clean shaven.” As she lowered her hand, Santh caught it in his own and brought her hand to the center of his chest. This caused Lenore to feel pleasantly awkward as well.

“Is your brother doing well?” He honestly did not care but any question that would keep her here a moment longer was worth asking. He would ask her about her favorite color, foods, or flowers if he needed.

Lenore seemed to see through him immediately. She smiled delicately before answering. “He is doing as well as any Prince locked away in a dungeon. I always thought the Prince was meant to rescue the Princess from the dark cells.”

Santh chuckled deep in his chest. “Yes, well, that might work for any other Princess, but Princess Lenore needed no saving. She manages that all on her own.”

They both stared at each other for a moment, before they awkwardly looked to the ground. Remaining in silence for several moments, Lenore could barely feel his heartbeat on the palm of her hand as her fingers were still wrapped up in his hand as if he were afraid to let her go.

“For what I did...” She began to apologize but Santh quickly kissed her lips to silence her. It was a slow kiss that last only a brief moment.

“I have known the truth since the day you left, and others have verified it to me.” He chuckled once more with a grin on his face as he looked up into the sky. “It wasn't long ago that you were the selfish brat that I loathed seeing every morning, but do you know how difficult it was to not see you that next day? Sometimes I would awake having forgotten that you were gone and find that as they brought our water buckets there was not one for you.”

Leaning forward he kissed her forehead, before wrapping his arms around her shoulders and pulling her in for a long overdue hug. Lenore did not hug him back instead she pulled her hands up between them and allowed herself to be held. She had thought of how his arms had often given her strength and she needed it more than ever now.

“I thought of telling you so many times.” Lenore voice cracked slightly. “However, if my brother ever found out that anyone knew, he would have destroyed this place. There would be no where for Anton, Jolon, or Saena to go. Ophelia would have to return to that damnable dorm. I had to stay strong and silent.”

Looking up at him, he stared down at her. “I missed you.” He muttered before pressing his kiss against her own.

Holding her tightly, he kissed her gently as if he was afraid that he would scare her away. After several moment, Lenore sighed and nibbled at his bottom lip. Her arms escaped the space between them as she wrapped her arms around his neck which allowed Santh to lift her off her feet.

After a moment he set her down and broke the kiss. “I don't want to let you return.” When she looked like she would object he added, “Not tonight. I have a tent set up in the woods. Stay there with me?”

“Alright,” She said after staring into his eyes for a moment, “but my legs are exhausted. Carry me!” She joked.

Letting go of her, he turned around and lowered himself down so she could climb on his back. A slight giggle could be heard behind him before she leap on his back. “Onward, mighty stead!”

---***---

The new sun was arriving that morning when Armand had gotten up and prepared to visit with the Prince. His mother had gone to see him several times a day and Krius with Enoch visited him at least once a day. Armand, however, had only gone a couple times in the two weeks he had been down there.

He had never been Lesatan's closest adviser and for the most part all the Prince wanted was for him to watch Lenore and report to him on her activities. That was a once a week report nothing more; nothing less.

Walking across campus to the Professors' Dorm, he got permission to head down to the cells and see his Prince. He had been told that Lesatan had difficulty sleeping and had been awaking at the crack of dawn each morning.

The guard placed his chair in front of the cell for Armand before heading to stand in front of the entrance as he always did. In the cell, Lesatan sat calmly on his bed with a book in his lap.

“I must speak to Lenore immediately.” Lesatan spoke before any greetings could be given. “I have done something rash and she needs to be informed. I wanted to speak to her last night but they refused as visiting hours were over.”

Armand knew the Prince would not like what he would have to say to that. “I stopped by her room before coming here to ask about the book you wanted; it does not appear that she returned to her room last night.”

“She broke her curfew then. Did she think our agreement would not hold even if I am in this state?” He glared before worry came over him and he wondered if Damek had managed to get to her. He wanted to tell Armand to search for her but knew he would ask questions. He would have to wait for Krius who no doubt would be visiting soon.

“May I remind you that Lenore is, in fact, trying to release you from this state. I would advise giving her some leeway. You do not know what kept her out all night. It could very well relate to you.” Armand folded his hands on his lap and straightened his back. “She has been working all hours in order to prove your innocence. She met with The Brotherhood last night so my spies tell me.”

“Foolish girl.” Lesatan hissed under his breath, “If they were responsible; she would have been serving herself directly to them.”

“Lenore is more intelligent than that, milord. We both know she had safety measures in place and a guarantee from The Brotherhood she would not come to harm.” Armand reached down into his satchel which he had placed beside the chair and pulled out a stack of books. “I brought you some more reading materials. Would you like me to return any?”

He shook his head, “The guards are returning them for me. Leave them in front of the bars.” He ordered as he looked down at the book in his lap. “Mother visits me quite often, but I fear that it may not be good for her to see me. Every time she leaves her eyes looked more exhausted and I believe she might be drinking.”

“When she is not visiting you, she locks herself away in her room. The servants provide her with meals, but they tell me only a couple bites are taken from any of them. Your grandmother will be arriving soon and I am certain she will be able to... make her appear more respectable once again.” Armand stood from his chair and tossed the satchel over his shoulder. “If there is nothing else, milord, I must return...”

“Do you trust Lenore with this task?” Lesatan looked up with worry in his eyes. “At first, I thought I could, but now I worry that she might not...” He stopped himself from speaking. “It is unwise to speak poorly of someone helping you, but I fear my Mother might have been right all along.”

Armand slowly shook his head, “Lenore is devout to her cause. That much I am certain. Whether she will be victorious, I could not say.”

---***---

Remus has awoken that morning after waiting for Ophelia to return with the mead. He realized he must have fallen asleep before she returned and that meant she found him and let him be. The idea had brought a slight smile to his lips and at the thought of how much patience she must have had to muster in order to not wake him after going all the way to the hamlet.

Though in truth that evening he had thought deeply about Lenore's words. She had been right that he was selfish. He wanted everything and that meant putting Ophelia in a place that meant that world would see her as another man's wife. Once those words entered his mind, he realized very quickly that he didn't want to the world to see her as such. He wanted Ophelia to be at his side during events, holding onto his arm, and dancing with him. He didn't want to be glances across the room any longer.

Immediately upon waking up, he had written a letter to his father which informed him that he would not be taking his place as the heir. He apologized but told him that he felt strongly about this decision and would not be changing his mind. It scared him to think that perhaps Ophelia and he would not remain together then he would not be the heir, but he knew he had to risk it.

As a business man he knew that every reward has a risk. The risk he was willing to take before would have crushed Ophelia's reputation if their relationship was discovered, not to mention Routine's and his own. He was asking everyone else to sacrifice so that he did not have to do so. That ended today. He was certain of that.

After taking the letter to the mail room, he decided that he was going to tell Ophelia the good news. He did not want to tell her before hand as that would allow her to convince him not to as she wouldn't want him to sacrifice on her behalf. Therefore, if it was already done she must see it as a romantic gesture. He had no idea how Routine would take the news though he assumed he would come up with some elaborate plan on why their engagement was ended.

Entering the court of the South Dorm, there was a slight grin on his lips as he made his way to her bedroom. Sliding the door open, he found no one. She must have gone out or was about the dorm and he hadn't seen her when he entered.

Heading back out to the court, he spotted a group of girls sitting on a bench and working on some of the school work that had been sent along. “Ladies, have you by chance seen Ophelia this morning?”

They all shook their heads.

“Last I saw her was in the halls last night. She mentioned heading into the hamlet.” The blonde girl whose room was across from Ophelia's told him. “I don't recall her coming home last night, but I might have been asleep.”

“We didn't go to sleep until passed midnight.” Another girl told him as she looked between her friend and him. “She shouldn't have been out that late.”

“You're right. She must have come back when we were being loud. I am surprised she didn't ask us to control ourselves.”

Remus frowned, “I shall head into the hamlet then.” He gave them a brief bow before hurrying down the dirt path.

There was something not right in those moments and a whirlwind of thoughts entered his mind. He worried about all that could have happened to her. Why hadn't she taken in a dorm mate after Lenore left? That person could have told him if she had come home last night or not.
---***---
Harona had entered Anton's bedroom with permission. He was sitting on his bed reading a scroll that had been brought for school work. His sandy blonde hair had grown out since she had first met him and he wore it in a ponytail. He looked handsome that way and had been surprised when she mentioned liking longer hair that he had stopped cutting it.

However, Harona noticed that while the two of them spent a great deal of time together they never did anything lovers would do. There had been a rare hand hold, but no kisses or any real sign that they were anything more than friends. Though everyone in the dorm thought of them as a couple. She had mentioned to Saena that perhaps Anton was shy, but then was informed that Jolon had heard a couple stories of him with ladies.

This made Harona wonder where they stood. Perhaps those girls were not special and he was being careful with her. Maybe she hadn't shown enough interest and he thought she saw him as only a friend. Whatever it was she would get an answer that morning.

Sitting on the bed next to him, she smiled as her feet dangled off the side. “Good morning, Anton. Did you sleep well?”

He looked up from his scroll briefly, “It was fine.”

The answer made her heart drop slightly as he did not inquire about her. There was something she had noticed. He had days were he would laugh and be friendly with her, but the next day he would pull away and act as if she was an annoyance.

Speaking as quickly as she could so she couldn't act cowardly she began to ask her question. “Are we a pair?”

The question seemed to startle Anton as his eyes widened briefly for a moment and the scroll in his hand jerked. He lowered the scroll and looked at her. “Well, I... I... mean... Well...”

“Have you not even considered it? Have I been your friend all along?” She watched him wiped his forehead with his hand nervously. “You realise that all the girls think we are a pair. I know that you aren't shy around women and have had your share, but you do not seem interested in anyone here or in the hamlet. I assumed that meant we were a faithful pair.”

Anton cleared his throat as his heart beat rapidly. He could barely keep up with the quick words that were being hurled his way. “Harona,” He finally spoke and her name silenced her as she stared at him. “I have considered it.”

“And?”

Taking a deep breath, as a man with sisters he knew exactly where this conversation would go and he wanted his moment of peace before it occurred. “I do care for you.”

Harona felt her heart drop, she could hear the word “but” about to be delivered. He did not care for her in the same manner she did for him.

“But, you hold a position that I wouldn't dare to attempt to climb to and I will not ask you to come down to meet me.” He tried to speak calmly though he feared her response.

She didn't know if he was just saying that in order to spare her feelings or if he really meant them. She swallowed before she replied. “Ophelia will take my place and then you and I can carve something for ourselves. You plan on staying for four years and I can assist easily with bringing you into the Souchan Guild as can Ophelia and Routine.”

Anton sighed, “I was lucky enough to have someone pay for my third year, but I do not know who they are or if they will pay for a fourth. Therefore I can not get your hopes up only to crush them.” He watched her stand up and stare down at him. “I am sorry.”

She snorted before running her hands through her hair. “So, I have wasted all this time on you, and you never planned on us being together? Couldn't you have said so in the beginning? Did you know I had someone in the Royal Guild interested in me. I turned him away because I thought...” She cut herself off. “You are nothing but a coward.” She snapped before storming out of the room as she was humiliated by his answer. She knew the truth. He didn't have feelings for her and she had misunderstood, but it was easier to be angry with him.

Anton's heart hurt as he watched her slide the door closed. He had meant what he said, and many times he had stopped himself from going too far with her. He wanted to tell her that, but feared she might continue to fight for them. That couldn't be allowed. He had to prove he was worth her time and affection first. He had to finish his four years.

---***---

Lenore was tying the straps of her boots in the make shift tent that Santh had made out of blankets. He had told her the night before that after she left the dorm he would grow weary of the pity that the others offered him and had made himself this tent in order to have a place away from them. The story had made her pity him but she had kept that to herself.

Laying beside her, Santh laid with only a blanket over his legs and his bare chest exposed. With one arm under his head, his free hand gently rubbed Lenore's arm. He thought of getting up and dressing along side her, but decided that she would probably want to leave before him so they were not seen together. He knew that if he started dressing that would only rush her to leave faster for fear of being caught.

“We can not do this again.” Lenore finally spoke when she finished her boot and turned to face him.

Santh said nothing as he felt his heart begin to drop for fear of what she might say next. He tried his best to remain stoic and gave a firm nod.

“At least not until after my brother is freed. When he releases me from our deal, which he better after all this.” Lenore leaned forward and kissed Santh's forehead that was cold from the winter forming around them. “You understand, don't you?”

A slight grin appeared on his lips that was only reserved for Lenore, though in this case it was one of relief as well. “I understand.” He reached up and placed his palm on Lenore's cheek. “As long as you don't leave here, it's still just this one time, right?”

A chuckle escaped Lenore's lips before she leaned all the way forward and laid her head on his chest. Santh wrapped his arm around her shoulder and held her tightly.

“I missed you.” Lenore spoke softly with her cheek pressed against his firm chest and her finger making circles against the bare skin. “I am sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” He looked down at her but only saw the top of her head. Of course, Lenore would apologize without making eye contact though he didn't know what for at the moment.

“All those mean and hurtful comments that I spoke in our shared classes. I was... I think I was trying to prove to everyone around me that I had nothing but contempt for you. The truth is I just wanted some connection to remain. I am sorry.” She finally turned her head up to look into his eyes and she saw him staring back at her.

Kissing her forehead, he squeezed her tightly. “If we are speaking the truth, I did not mind it all that much. It pissed me off, but then I realized that at least you weren't forgetting about me.”

Lenore hugged him tightly and sighed as a gentle silence fell over them. She didn't want to leave this tent and return to the madness of the world. She didn't want to tell him that if her brother was found guilty she would have no choice but to marry Damek. Stopping a civil war before it even began would be the right thing to do. Instead, she just wanted one moment where she could pretend that Santh and she could be. That they could possibly move on passed all this and perhaps be together in the end. Though she knew that even Santh would not allow that to be as he had already established he wouldn't take his father's lands and titles. However, she just wanted to pretend for now.

Santh, on the other hand, was feeling relieved. It had been so long since Lenore smiled at him. So long since he held her and kissed her. He felt he could barely recall that last time that he was able to just lay with her and laugh. He thought it would never happen again, and if getting her horrible prince of a brother out of this mess meant being with her; there would be no force that could stop him.

“Lenore?”

“Hmm?” She looked up at him.

“What you are doing is dangerous. If it is true that this is a conspiracy to frame your brother. Make sure I am with you every step of the way. Not only am I a deputy, but I should be brought on as a personal guard.” He began to speak as he saw her start to object. “I will hear nothing but acceptance of my terms.”

She gave a nod and continued to lay at his side.
---***---

Remus walked to the hamlet as he worried over the fact that Ophelia had not returned to the dorms that night. He wondered if she had locked herself in the warehouse, even though he knew it would have been opened and she released this morning. He didn't know anywhere else to go as this was the last place she had been known to visit.

Stepping up to the open community warehouse door, he opened it and walked over to the area that Ophelia's stall kept its supplies. There were a few items missing from the front of the shelves, which either meant that Ophelia had taken them or the stall operator had that morning.

As he made his way out of the warehouse to speak to the operator, he saw a familiar face speaking with one of the guards. This man was another guard who worked the night shift here at the warehouse. He knew Ophelia quite well as she would often give him free pastries while he was working.

“Excuse me.” Remus approached him. “Did you work here last night?” He asked the man who seemed to recognize him as he was often with Ophelia.

The dark haired guard, that was in his late thirties more than likely, gave a nod. “Yes, I was just about to set off to home.”

“Did Ophelia come to the warehouse last night?” He asked the man who seemed confused as he must not have known her name. “The young woman I often come here with. She gives you free food every time she sees to you.”

A glint was in the man's eyes when she was mentioned. “Oh yes, is that her name? Nice gal that one. She was here. Gave me something to eat before she set off back towards her dorm.” The happiness left the man's eyes. “Did something happen to her? Is she alright?”

“I am afraid she is missing.” Remus told him as calmly as he could though on the inside his heart was barely keeping itself together.

“Missing you say? I'll gather some boys to look around the hamlet then. We can't go on the dorm grounds so that will be yours.” The guard looked at the other guard who was on duty. “We need to send word to the boys about this. We can't be having such a fine girl go missing.”

Remus was thankful and gave a brief nod, “Thank you. I will leave the hamlet in your hands then. If I find her I will send word, and if you do please inform me at the South Dorm. My name is Remus Grey.”

The guard gave a bow before giving a brief description of Ophelia to his friend, and then hurrying off to tell the others. No doubt there were other guards that Ophelia had shown kindness to that would take time to search for her.

Remus began to make his way back toward the dorms. He thought of every possibility of what could have happened to her. His mind wouldn't stop panicking and he knew he needed to get the others at the dorm involved.

This was not like Ophelia. She never just disappeared. Someone always knew where she was at all times, which made this feel all the more wrong.

His throat ran dry as he moved down the empty pathways of the university. Most students were still locked away in their dorms which meant that if something did happen that there were little to no witnesses.

He imagined her wreathing in pain in some ditch somewhere or being held prisoner by some sadist. The worst imagine of all was thinking that she had somehow died. He shook that thought from his mind. Ophelia was fine he had to tell himself, but he began to sprint towards the dorms in hopes of creating a search party.

---***---

The carriage pulled up to the front gates of the Royal Dorm, and before the driver could dismount and open the door; it flew open. Relia stepped out and glared at the place where her son's life had been taken. She had come here with purpose and she would find the truth behind this murder no matter the cost.

“Fetch Armand Borges.” She snapped at the driver as the two guards that had road in the carriage with her exited.

It took almost ten minutes, but Armand and the driver emerged from the Royal Dorm. Relia had gotten the guards to remove her trunks and other items from the carriage and place them in front of the gate.

“Milady.” Armand bowed deeply. “I was not informed to be expecting you.”

“I did not send word ahead.” She moved closer to the young man. “Your father is one of the few people that I trust as I did his father before him. I must know that you are a man of honor such as they were, a man that does what is needed because it is right, and not one that does whatever benefits him or kisses the ass of his benefactor.”

“Of course, milady. I am very much my father's son of that I can assure you.” He bowed once more.

“Good, walk with me.” She ordered before looking to the men she was leaving behind, “Take my luggage to my room.” Her eyes wandered to the Mondue guards, “Help them!” She snapped as if she had told them to help before and they had not.

Armand kept step with her as they entered the dorm and wondered why the former Queen had come here. He did have several ideas and none of them seemed to fit into the plans of others around him.

“What is happening with the investigation?” She asked as she walked down the corridors, obviously heading toward Aletta's room.

“Lenore has been made his investigator and advocate, but there has been no judge appointed.” He told her as she walked quickly beside him. “I am not privy to her investigation.”

“Good, then I will speak to the Headmaster about appointing you as the judge.” She came to a dead stop and looked into his eyes. “I expect you to make the right and honest choice. Lesatan is not your friend or your Prince while acting as a judge. You hold the power over his life and you are the most powerful man in the world in that moment. You will decide the course of history, and you will do it fairly. If my grandson murdered my son then he deserves to be punished, but if he did not you must ensure that whoever did is punished. Are we clear, Armand?” As soon as she finished speaking she began to walk again.

“Yes, of course, but why trust me to such an important task? Are you certain that the Headmaster would agree?” Armand suddenly found an extraordinary amount of pressure upon his shoulders.

“I informed you of my trust in your father and grandfather. They are good, honest men who do what is right even when it is difficult. I trust you to do the same. As for the Headmaster,” A slight grin appeared on her lips, “let us just say that he and I are old friends. Had things gone differently and I not caught the Prince's eye, I might have married a man that would become a Professor.”

“I understand.” He said as they stopped in front of the Queen's door.

Relia knocked, “Aletta, it's Relia, open the door.” She demanded and when no answer came she simply opened the door herself.

Sitting on the floor, Aletta held a glass of wine and was obviously working on a second bottle.

“It's only ten in the morning, Aletta.” Relia sighed heavily. “Honestly, what has gotten into you? This alone is the reason that I should have come.” She told Armand. “We need at least one head that isn't muddied with overly emotional waste. Help me to get her on the bed.”

As they approached her, Aletta began to cry for seemingly no reason at all.
---***---

Santh and Lenore walked out to the dirt path as he was going to walk her to the flower court to say his goodbyes. However, they could hear a great deal of commotion coming from the dorm and without a word they both moved to find its source.

“What is going on?” Santh asked one of the girls of the dorm when they reached the court, as everyone seemed to be buzzing around and accomplishing nothing.

She stopped briefly, “Remus says that Ophelia is missing, and he wants us to break into teams and search the university grounds for her.”

Lenore mouthed her friend's name, and before she could even wrap her mind around the idea of Ophelia being missing a scream echoed out from the woods. Everyone rushed towards it and found a girl from the dorm standing over a body.

Her body was covered in bruises, and her clothes had been ripped off and shredded. Blood had poured from her ears, her nose, and her mouth. In the leaves laid Ophelia's corpse.

Remus was one of the last to arrive having been near the library, and one of the girl's had gone to find him. When he broke through the crowd, he stared down at the dead woman. His eyes remained cold and for a moment it appeared that he wouldn't show any emotion at all. That was until his eyes turned to Lenore who had Santh's arm around her shoulder and her hand over her mouth. She had yet to process what she was looking at as well.

“This is your doing!” Remus barked. “Whatever brought this upon her! I know it has some connection to you! You should have never come into our lives! You should have never been born! You are a mistake!”

“Remus!” Santh finally snapped. “She had nothing to do with this, and you damn well know it. Turn your grief to the perpetrator not at another victim!”

That seemed enough and Remus nodded his head, as he turned his attention back to Ophelia. “Go summon the Mondue investigators. Tell them there has been another murder.” He ordered one of the girls before walking over to Ophelia.

“Don't touch her, Remus. The Mondues...” Anton silenced himself when Remus raised his hand in an effort to quiet him.

Reaching out his hand, he gently touched her cheek. “Everyone return to the dorm. Prepare for questioning.”

All of the girls and the commoners left the scene, but Lenore and Santh remained. Harona had looked back with tears in her eyes briefly, before leaving with Saena. Santh could feel Lenore shaking under his touch and knew that she was trying not to fall apart. She clung to his shirt as if afraid that if she let go she would run over to her friend's body and throw herself upon it before crying and cursing the heavens.

Remus seemed to be doing his best to hold onto whatever tears were forming. His body shook and his voice cracked when he spoke. “Why?” He asked Lenore. “I know you know why? So why?”

Lenore cleared her throat, “Piera is pregnant, and Ophelia knew a sense of where she had been taken. That is the only reason I could think of why... anyone...would...”

Santh squeezed her tightly.

“Who? Who is behind this?” Remus stood up and walked to stand in front of her, but he moved too close and Santh shoved him back slightly. He took the hint and gave her some space.

“I do not know that is why I am invest...”

“You have some fucking idea, tell me.” He snapped.

Lenore inhaled, “Damek suggested that when my brother is found guilty that he and I wed in order to prevent civil war. That makes me suspicious of him.”

Remus slowly nodded his head. “Damek. Then I will ensure he receives a worse fate. Give me a deputy badge and the Fox's resources are at your disposal.”