Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 56: Stoic Throughout

The Mondues arrived and had begun to investigate before removing the body. Lenore had been stoic throughout the entire interview process and left once they were done with her. She said nothing to her friends or even Santh before returning to her dorm.

Remus' dorm window could see the movement in the distance, though he wished he had put the males on the second floor as he could get a high vantage. There was little to see through that glass as it was mostly blurs of people in the daylight, and most were closer to him than the spot they had found her.

He wondered how long Ophelia had laid there in the dirt and the leaves. The obvious horrors that had befallen her were too much. Bruising around her throat and wrists were she was choked and held down. Her clothes ripped from her body and the bruises on her chest and stomach that appeared to be bite marks couples with fists. They had hit her so hard that her ears had bled. He had not the courage to see what they had done to her back so he left the scene when they finished speaking to him.

His memory turned to the day she told him that Piera had offered her work at the Royal Dorm. She was excited to see Lenore more and she also wanted the extra money that would come from it. He remembered supporting her decision to work for Piera as it would be a safe environment for her to spend her time, even while he was cursing her reason of seeing Lenore.

If he had argued against that choice, she might have given up on Lenore and she would never have learned of Piera's pregnancy. If he had just objected in someway, she might be standing in this room with him wondering why someone close to Piera had been killed. She would be scared of what was occurring, but she would be here next to him.

That morning, he imagined her face time and time again when he told her that he would join her at the fortress. He thought of how her eyes would light up and how she would scarcely believe he had given up his position in the Merchant's Guild. He thought of how he wondered how he would explain to Routine and how he would handle the matter with his parents. Though, it bothered him little at the time.

Now, it would be Routine whose fiance was murdered. For the rest of time, she would be Routine's fiance that never made it to the ceremony with him. That is what history would say, all because he was too selfish to give up anything for her.

The sliding door slide opened and Santh's form appeared in the doorway. He stepped inside and slowly closed the door before walking carefully over to his bed. Laying down, he looked over at his friend and could not think of a single word of comfort to say.

Remus broke the silence. "It would seem that Lenore and you have returned to your former status."

Santh did not know why he was speaking of that matter, but decided it was because he didn't wish to speak of Ophelia. "Yes." It was the only word he could utter as his heart hurt. The pain was not only caused by Ophelia's death, but by knowing that Lenore and Remus were suffering and he could do nothing to help them.

"Good... I suppose." Remus could feel his bottom lip trembling as he watched the colors move in the distance. Tears welled up in his eyes and he feared brushing them away as he did not want Santh to witness him cry.

As if Santh could feel his desire, the large man turned his back on Remus which allowed him to wipe his teared away quickly.

"We should prepare for Odelia's arrival. No doubt she will want to be here for the cremation." He knew she would be cremated as only those of the Royal Party and those who were announced to be of some great service were buried and given a memorial stone or buried in the halls.

"They will keep the body for a couple days. She will have time to arrive. Should we pack Ophelia's belongings for her?" Santh disliked calling his dorm mate "the body" but had no other way speaking the term.

Remus nodded his head. "Yes, but... tomorrow."

-***-

Lenore had to make sure that she was pointed in the right direction. If Ophelia was murdered because of Piera's pregnancy then the short list of individuals that knew had to be questioned. Of course, if they told anyone that would help point her at the right culprit.

She made her way down the stairs and the guard gave her his chair before moving out of ear shot. Lenore looked at her brother who was laying on the bed with a book in his hand and his back against the pillows. "Did you tell anyone about Piera's pregnancy?"

Her brother was in the middle of turning a page and when she spoke he paused. Placing a bookmark in it, he slowly closed it before looking up at her. "Damek." He admitted without hesitation. "I am almost certain he is behind all that has occurred."

She nodded her head slowly. "I agree."

Lesatan sat up from his reclining position and placed his feet on the floor. "What has he done that made you ask?"

Swallowing, she answered carefully so that her voice would not shake and offer him any emotion. "He has killed Ophelia."

The Prince remained silent for several moments, "I see." His thoughts were with his wife who would be heartbroken to know that he managed to kill her friend without lifting a finger.

"She was obviously tortured and otherwise abused before she was strangled to death. Whether they got any information from her, I do not know." Lenore cleared her throat.

"What information did she have?" Lesatan's heart beat with fear.

"Who took Piera away and why, but since Damek knows the why already..." She took a deep breath. "I can not reach him. They were to take her into hiding and only return if and when news of this countries ruler reaches his ears. That means that Damek will find him near next to impossible to find, but that did not stop your mother when I was with Varden."

Lesatan hung his head to the point that his chin hit his chest. "Depending on where he takes her that could be years before I see her again."

"If we don't prove Damek is behind this you won't see her ever." She leaned back in her chair. "It is obvious that Damek wants the throne, and he has been forthcoming about marrying me. That means he doesn't want a civil war to get it."

Her brother snorted, "Of course."

Lenore looked to her brother as if she were waiting for him to finish what he had said, but there was no addition to his statement. "Of course, what?"

"My mother always kept Damek from you as she said she found him to be unnerving. She said she didn't trust him not to...she didn't trust him." He sucked on his bottom lip. "As we grew older, she grew more unnerved. She told me that once a guard caught him watching you undress, and there was another incident where he had been stealing your clothing."

Lenore was unsettled to hear such things. "You would think your mother would immediately engage us." She spoke with resentment.

"My mother has never liked Damek and she wouldn't never marry together the two people she least trusts. That was most certainly a way to lose her crown." He sighed. "Perhaps this was more about getting to you than taking the throne."

"It seems to be a bit of both at this junction." Lenore tossed her head back for a moment as she thought. "Alright, do not speak to anyone of Damek or to Damek. Understand? Trust no one at this time, not even your friends. We have no idea who he might have in his pocket and we can not assume anyone is safe."

"Except your little group out in the woods?" Lenore hissed the question.

Lenore glared at him for a moment, "Don't be such a child, you are in no position to throw a tantrum."

He watched her stand up and head for the stairway without saying her goodbyes.

-***-

Relia had a table and chairs brought into Aletta's room. When they brought in the teapot and cups, she ordered the servants out before they could pour anything for them. Reaching out, she grabbed the pot and poured two glasses as she stared at Aletta who sat at the table across from her.

She hadn't spoken to the Queen directly yet. Instead, she had barked orders to Armand to get the servants to bring them tea and then scurried the servants out.

As she offered a cup to the present Queen, she slowly shook her head. "This is atrocious behavior for someone of your stature. Not only do you need to be seen as strong by your subjects, but your son needs your strength more than ever."

Aletta took a sip of the steamy tea. The color was almost black and she recognized the concoction as one of Relia's own mixtures. She swore it fought off the effects of alcohol and would turn the tide for anyone suffering from it. Of course, it was no secret that Relia overindulged in her alcohol vice.

"How are the people meant to believe in your decisions in the days to come when rumors fly about of your condition?" Relia asked as she watched the other woman take another sip from her cup and then immediately set it down on her saucer.

"Are there rumors?" Aletta asked with a stoic expression. She was still too deep in the cups for the tea to do her any good.

"Not yet, but there will be. Servants love to talk amongst themselves." Relia sighed audibly. "For someone who acts as if they are carved from the strongest wood; you certainly break like porcelain."

"My husband has been murdered." Aletta felt tears welling up in her eyes. "My son is accused of the crime, and sometimes I wonder if he actually killed him. I am a horrible mother... and... and when this is over I'll be executed by Lenore."

Pressing her lips together, Relia thought over the situation for a moment. "My son was murdered, and my grandson was accused. We have the same pain, Aletta, but you can not allow it to take you down this path."

Aletta finished her cup and shoved it to the center of the table as if to ask for more. Relia obliged and filled it up before Aletta snatched it back.

"Lenore is his advocate. He trusts her. How? She'll see him beheaded and then laugh all the way to her new crown... which she will snatch off my disjointed head." A tear streamed down her cheek but she did not notice.

Relia inhaled deeply, "If Lesatan trusts her to be his advocate than perhaps you should do the same. It is, after all, his life that will be forfeit if she fails. This means he trusts her to ensure his future, Aletta."

"This important task he gives to her. Not Krius or Armand or even that simpleton Enoch, but the one woman I have been warning him away from all his life." She drank down the entire cup of tea, and when she lowered the glass her eyes were shut tight. "Hot."

The former Queen slowly shook her head as she watched Aletta slide the cup to the center of the table again. She poured the other woman another cup and watched her as she blew on her tea.

"Lenore is an exceptional woman. If you stopped fearing for your throne, you might be able to witness everything she has accomplished and all that she has done for her brother." Relia observed Aletta put her cup down on the table and slowly place her forehead upon it.

"Never." She shook her head with the forehead rubbing against the table cloth.

Standing up, Relia moved to walk around the table and helped Aletta to stand. "You should rest some. I will return in a couple hours to check on you." She told her as she walked her over to her bed.

-***-

Harona sat in her room as she stared out the window at the distant movement between the trees. How could something happen so close and yet no one heard a thing? She had asked herself over and over though in truth she felt guilty about her own thoughts. Whenever her mind was not focused on Ophelia it would slip into the words that Anton had spoken to her that morning. She kept telling herself that it was disrespectful and that she should be morning Ophelia not her own relationship.

Tears had been streaming down her cheeks ever since a Mondue had come to question her, but they were tears for two different reasons. She felt selfish and angry at herself.

Her sliding door opened and Routine stood in the doorway. "Anton petitioned me to inquire on the status of your well being."

A slight grin came to her lips, "You are speaking like old Routine again."

He was quiet for several seconds before he cleared his throat and seemed slightly uncomfortable for a brief moment. "I had not noticed."

"Cruel of him to send you when you just lost your fiance." She scolded Anton internally for not sparing a thought to Routine.

"I believe he was puzzled as to whether he should visit you or send another. Everyone else is engrossed in other affairs." Routine stepped into the room but left the door open as he walked over to stand in front of her. "Nevertheless, if I was unable to undertake this task, I would not be here. I do this more for Ophelia's sake then Anton's."

Harona stared up at him as she checked his eyes for any pain at all. "How can you be so cold towards her death?"

The question was surprising at first, but Routine realized that his demeanor could be taken for apathy. "I mourn my friend, however I can not place my life in stasis in order to do so. I am more than adept of accomplishing both at once."

Harona bitterly chuckled and ran her hand over her cheeks. "It's interesting that you should mention that. I am having parallel heartbreaks and I know that Ophelia's death is more important but I can not help but think of the other."

"You are referring to what makes Anton afraid to approach you." Routine cocked his head to the side and watched as she nodded her head.

"He broke my heart this morning, and then we find Ophelia... like that. I would want to talk to a friend of it, but who would want to speak of what could be considered a small thing compared to... her." She cleared her throat. "I do not mean to sound bitter or seem like Ophelia purposely did this to herself in spite of me."

Routine was quiet for a moment before he sat down on the bed beside her. "Ophelia would speak plainly in this moment, I believe. So for the sake of helping her friend, I shall do my best." He paused briefly. "I believe Ophelia would tell you that you do not have to choose which sadness to mourn. That you mourn where ever your mind takes you in that instance, and eventually you will find your way back to the other. More importantly, perhaps if you removed the pain you least like to think of first, you will be able to concentrate on your more pressing issue. I shall listen."

Tears began to form in her eyes, "That does sound like her." She inhaled deeply. "I have waited so long for Anton to act interested in me, and there were times that he did, but it was never enough. I regret asking him if we were a pair."

"Knowledge and pain are always better than ignorance and bliss." He responded.

Harona nodded, "I suppose. It has been two years since I have kissed anyone, I suppose... I don't know. Perhaps I was trying to make him into something that he never was and that would be my fault."

"I have never been kissed... unless you include drunk kisses from Lenore who enjoyed flirting with me to make me uncomfortable."

She chuckled, "Thank you, Routine. I think you have helped."

Suddenly a gentle kiss was placed upon her lips and before she could respond, Routine stood from the bed. "There I have ended one of your worries. Now you can focus on the others."

She watched him leave the room after she placed her fingers on her lightly touched lips.

-***-

Lenore approached the dorms and quickly her friends came to greet her. She held out Ophelia's deputy badge to Remus; which she had gotten earlier that day from the Mondues. She didn't know if she should tell him that it was the one found on her body, but the way that Remus stared at it she assumed he already knew.

They all waited a moment as several of the girls moved toward the dorm to get out of ear shot. Anton and Jolon had been the pair that motioned them to leave, Saena and Harona went with the other girls.

"I discussed Damek with my brother, and he admitted that he did tell Damek about the pregnancy. Which means that Damek more than likely killed Ophelia in order to get information from her about Piera's whereabouts." Lenore felt strange speaking of Ophelia's death as she still hadn't completely accepted her loss from that morning.

Routine stood stoically while he watched everyone else's reactions. Which was mostly utter despair, though Remus showed anger and frustration.

"We will not be able to prove much other than my brother is not guilty with what we have found, and even that evidence can be called into question. We need more, and we need to prove that Damek was behind this all along." Lenore crossed her arms over her chest uncomfortably.

"I will use the Fox's network to..." He stopped speaking when she used her hand to cut his voice off.

"I can not trust them. I have my own spies that I have vetted and I am certain will be better prepared." Lenore informed him.

Remus' brows came together and the rest of the group looked suspicious, especially Santh who had never heard her speak of having her own spies.

"The Royal Spy Network was corrupted by the Queen, and then completely destroyed by... Ophelia's father." Remus was speaking outright even though his tone held a question.

Taking a deep breath, she looked amongst her friends. "When I first arrived at university, my father gave me a task. He wanted me to infiltrate the Fox's network in order to learn how it has survived for so long and take elements from it. I was to use this information to rebuild the Royal Spy Network for my brother's reign. Right now we are limited to school grounds as my father never gave me permission to place it across the country."

"Why would he ask you to do such a thing? There had to be others that were better trained to rebuild it." Santh questioned.

"My father wanted me to act as my brother's spy master once we finished our schooling." She swallowed and looked at Remus who was remarkably quiet. Of course, he hadn't told everyone that he was actually the Fox and could not react properly.

Remus stared at her for a moment. He didn't know whether to feel betrayed or proud that she had been able to do this under his nose for so long. "They failed to sniff out a murder plot on your father that occurred right here on school grounds."

"I did not have anyone in the Royal Dorm at the time, but that has since changed. I spent most of the last year trying to find both Royals and servants that could be relied upon, but that became a more difficult task when I realized there was already spies amongst them. At this moment, we are trying to locate Damek's spies and we will then have a chat." Lenore felt strange standing among her old friends as they stared at her, though she hid it from them she kept thinking of Ophelia's face and how it should be in this group.

Anton and Jolon had remained quiet as had Routine through this entire conversation. It did not seem like they had anything to add and in truth this conversation was more between Remus and Lenore as they were discussing spies which none of the others knew anything about.

"I have heard my grandmother has returned here. No doubt she wants to send for me soon in an effort to learn of what we know. I will not be able to tell her anything, so if she summons any of you no matter how terrified you are..." She looked at Jolon and Anton, "do not tell her anything. No one except this circle is to be trusted."

"Not even your own grandmother, the most beloved Queen?" Anton asked in shock.

"No one but us, understand?"

They all slowly nodded their heads. "Good, I will return to the dorms to see her before she can call upon me."

"I will walk you." Santh told her and before she could object, he added, "Do not argue."

-***-

The ruckus in South Dorm could not be ignored as many girls began to gather their items and pack away their life there. Anton and Jolon were watching as the bags began to pile up on the platform outside the front door. They said nothing as the girls fought with their dorm mates over who owned what, or who should go home with an item they purchased together.

Saena and Harona appeared from their own dorm room as the dozens of girls raced around terrified. Heading out to the front they came to stand before the two commoners.

"What is going on?" Saena asked.

Both males shrugged their shoulders.

"It appears they are leaving." Anton finally answered.

Harona turned to one girl who was passing by them. She had her items over her shoulder in a bag, but before she could race down the dirt path her arm was caught. "What is happening?" She asked the very frightened girl.

"Ophelia was killed for staying passed her welcome. We aren't risking being next. If you value your own life you should leave!" The girl yelled.

"She wasn't killed for that reason." Saena tried to inform the girl, but she didn't seem to want any other explanation. Yanking her arm from Harona's grasp she hurried away from South Dorm.

"Stop!" Harona cried out at the girl running away, but she did not listen so she turned her voice to the others that had not yet left. "Stop! Girls! Ophelia wasn't killed for staying passed two years!" She ran onto the platform, but the girls were in such a panic they either didn't hear her or refused to acknowledge that was a possibility.

"Ophelia was killed by the person..." Jolon put his hand on Saena's shoulder and shook his head.

"We can't trust anyone with that knowledge. Remember? You have to let them go, and they will return next year once this is over." He patted her shoulder tenderly to give her some sort of comfort.

Saena shook in her own skin. "But if they only knew..."

"We do not know if any of them are spies. If you tell them what we know you could put all of us in danger, even the ones that are leaving." Anton responded as he watched Harona grab the bags of the leaving girls and beg them not to leave.

"Please! This isn't what you think it is! You are safe here!" Harona begged but the luggage would be yanked away and the girl would disappear down the dirt path.

It took over an hour, but by the end every girl besides Harona and Saena had left South Dorm. None were willing to talk or listen to reason. They had obviously gathered together and lit fear in their hearts though they had been so brave in coming to the dorm in the first place.

Routine and Remus had come out to stand by and watch, but once it was over Routine returned to his room. Authin had watched from his window but never left his dorm.

Sitting on her knees on the platform, Harona held one of the girl's shirts in her hand. The girl had simply abandoned it to her in order to run away. A stream of tears fell down her cheeks, and Saena approached her slowly as she had been watching with the men of the dorm.

Kneeling down beside her, Saena pat her back. "You'll hurt your legs sitting like this. Come on, let me take you to your room."

"Cowards." Harona mumbled under her breath. "Even if it was true that Ophelia died for that reason, shouldn't we have bonded together more tightly for our cause? It's easy enough to fight for a cause when you don't actually have to do any of the fighting."

Saena swallowed a lump in her throat. "Come, I'll make you some tea."

-***-

Routine entered his room and sat down on the bottom bunk of the bed. He kept his feet on the ground and placed his elbows on his legs before putting his head in his hands. Taking a deep sigh, he thought about the day's events.

The girls were full of fear and grief. He could see right away that there was no speaking to them, but Harona had tried her best and failed. He was exhausted just by watching all the emotion that had been displayed. He was exhausted by his own emotions as well.

He had decided that he would miss Ophelia. She had become somewhat of a nice replacement for his lost friend, Lenore. In truth, she made him a little more human unlike Lenore. He didn't like speaking above her instead enjoyed being beside her. She made the mundane enjoyable. He thought perhaps his life wouldn't be as dreary and dull if she was his wife, even if it were pretend.

He had left his door opened and a figure appeared in the doorway, which he did not see as his head was still buried in his hands.

Remus made his way over to the bed without a word and sat down beside his friend. Routine looked at him out of the corner of his eye briefly before returning to his hands.

"Its all unraveling. Everything we built is coming apart." Remus said not wanting to talk about Ophelia for fear that he might release every tear he had held back that day.

Routine took a deep breath, "They are fearful. They believe she was killed because she stayed passed her third year. It is forgivable."

Remus noticed that Routine was speaking to him in the same manner he spoke to Ophelia. He wondered if his friend was too tired to try speaking in his normal way. "Forgivable? For leaving right after..." He swallowed. "Harona said they are cowards. That even if it was true that they should fight for her, not run away."

The Souchan nodded his head slowly, "That would be the ideal, but we do not live in a world of ideals. We live in a world of cruel reality."

Remus watched his friend hold his head in his hands for a moment, before he leaned over with his elbows on his knees. He inhaled deeply as he couldn't speak of Ophelia for another moment; not if he was to maintain his emotions.

The harder he fought the more the tears began to pour, until he finally decided to speak. His voice broke immediately on the first word. "I... I wrote to my father this morning to tell him that I wouldn't be his heir. I wanted to go with Ophelia to the fortress."

Routine did not reply though his was listening.

"I never got to tell her... She will never know that I chose her over everything else. She died thinking I would rather her marry a man she didn't love then give up my place of power." Remus ran his hands over his face to remove the tears. "She died because I was in too much of a mood to just walk with her to the hamlet. I could have..."

"Died with her?" Routine finally dropped his hands and looked at the man next to him. "If Damek is responsibly he would have caught her eventually. Even if you managed to scare him away last night, you couldn't possibly have known he was after her and you couldn't be with her all the time. There was nothing either of us could have done, and playing the "Could Have Game" will only end in us feeling guilt when we should be focusing on justice."

Routine remained silent after those words, but continued to allow tears to fall onto his pants. After a moment, he spoke. "What does justice entail? Perhaps its revenge I want."

"If revenge is your desire then you are dangerous to all of us. You will not think clearly and you will act only to cause pain. I won't allow it." Routine snapped and left the room before Remus could say anymore.

Wiping the tears from his face, he took another deep breath before standing up and leaving the room as well.

-***-

Walking beside Lenore, Santh noticed that she had seemed in a hurry to get away from South Dorm, but now that it was just the two of them she slowed her pace. Even stopping to pluck and flower from the school gardens. She pet it's petals as they walked along each other. She was stalling to spend some more time with him and he knew it. She more than likely wanted a moment of time that wasn't about her father, brother, or Ophelia. A break from reality and he was happy to oblige for a brief moment until fears began to surface in his heart.

"Promise me that you will keep me at your side whenever you have to do anything shady." Santh said stopping his steps in the middle of the empty pathway.

Lenore turned to him and looked up from the daisy. "I already promised you. I do not like to repeat myself."

Santh looked into her eyes and decided that she was telling the truth, before he stepped forward and put his hands on her shoulders. He leaned in and kissed her forehead. "Damek has proven himself capable of murder twice over now. Do not think that because he holds a candle for you that he might not consider your death if you interfered with his goals."

Lenore dropped her hands to her side still holding onto the flower. She slowly shook her head before looking around the area, when she decided they were alone she looked to him. "When I prove Damek's guilt, I will ensure that my brother makes him suffer for however long he lives." Her voice cracked briefly on the last word. "My father and now my friend. If he thinks that I will allow him to convict my brother of these actions and that I will simply marry him after wards then he should..." She couldn't finish her sentence and lowered her head to hide the tears that escaped.

He knew better than to force her to show any side of her, and therefore he simply pulled her in and hugged her tightly. Her forehead pressed against his chest and his arms surrounded her. "He will suffer, Lenore."

There was a long silence between the two. Santh merely held her and watched the area around them to ensure that no one would find them in such a position. All the while, Lenore quietly cried into his chest.

She was aware that Santh knew she was crying, but he pretended not to and she didn't want to destroy the illusion. She wanted to act as if there was no one to hear her and no one to see her, but she would not feel comfortable in her own room with servants to hear her. No, the best place to lose herself to emotions was right here in his arms.

After several long moments, Santh laid his cheek on the top of her head after he briefly kissed her hair. He knew she had hundreds of important tasks to complete that day, but still he didn't want to remind her of them or watch her vanish inside the Royal Dorms. He didn't want to worry while she was out of sight, but he had to send her back into the lion's den. That was the only place they would ever get answers.

In those moments, he cursed himself for not taking his father's lands and titles. That would have made him a Royal and he could have easily walked in and out of the building. He could be with her nearly all the time, but even if he tried now it would be worthless. No doubt all decisions were on hold while the King's murder was being investigated and even if they were not it would takes months to reinstate.

Taking a deep breath, Lenore pulled away and Santh allowed her to go. She kept her head down as she wiped her face with her sleeves. "Ugh, there is no time for this nonsense. I have a great deal of work ahead of me, but first I know my grandmother will want to speak to me."

"Yes, one task at a time." Santh pet her shoulder briefly before dropping his hand to his side as much as it pained him to let her go.

She nodded, "Of course." Turning around she began to make her way to her dorm, where there would be no more comfort for her.

-***-

Damek sat quietly in his study as he stared into the fire with a small glass of brandy in his hand. He slowly sipped it as he thought about the events of the night before.

He had never been there when someone had died. Never watched the light leave their eyes. Never heard them scream and beg for their life. He had always allowed others to do his work for him. Part of him was disgusted, but another part was intrigued by the truth of it all.

When the knock came to the door, he had heard it but did not respond as he was lost so deeply in his thoughts. The door opened and Marius looked inside the room to find Damek standing stoically in front of the fire. He entered the room and shut the door behind him before rushing to stand near Damek with his hands folded in front of his body.

"They found the body this morning. It is as you said, the girls of the dorm are leaving as they think this has to do with her over staying her welcome." Marius told him but received no response. "I do not think Lenore and her "friends" are accepting that narrative."

Damek took another sip of his brandy before he turned his eyes to Marius. "Have they overheard her thoughts on the matter?"

He shook his head, "No, but there has been a great deal of movement and I am certain they are suspicious of someone. Lenore has spoken to Lesatan today, and no doubt he has told her that you were made aware of the pregnancy."

Damek licked his lower lip while he thought. "Then it is most likely me."

"If she discovers we are behind all of this, she will not ascend the throne and we will be executed." Marius' voice was uneven as he spoke.

"I am aware of the consequences if we fail." He inhaled for a moment as he thought of what plans he might put into place.

"Was that your intention? All along were you going to kill the Romanus girl?" Marius asked him when the silence became too much.

Damek squeezed his hand which caused several popping noises. "Approaching her would always mean her death. My interest in the child would have eventually been told to Lenore and she would have become suspicious of me. There was no other way to be certain that she would tell no one what had occurred that evening."

"Did she give you the information you needed?" Marius realized that he hadn't called Damek by milord this entire conversation, but Damek did not seem to care. Perhaps, his mind was too lost on the matter at hand.

Damek glared at him, "What information she gave me is none of your concern." He snapped before downing the rest of his drink.

Marius took the glass when it was held out to him and rushed to pour another from the bottle that sat on the desk. When he returned, he passed it quickly to his master.

"We can not allow this to go to trial. We need to ensure a quick death that can be blamed on Lesatan." Damek told him before sipping more of the brandy.

"Like an escape?" Marius asked and watched Damek's eyes light up.

"Yes, an excellent idea. If they suspect me then I will plant seeds that Lesatan's life is in danger. They will try to get him to safety, and while he is escaping he will be killed. Whether Lenore knows about my involvement or not, she will be forced to wed me or face civil war." Damek chuckled. "Brilliant."

Marius swallowed hard. Damek was not trying to hide the fact from him any longer that this was less about putting Lenore on the throne, and more to do with some obsession he had with her. Of course, he was too deeply involved to come forward without the loss of his head or the loss of respect for his family.

"My grandmother has arrived?"

Marius nodded, "Lenore is speaking to her now."

He grinned, "Good, she is giving my grandmother her suspicions about me. She will be the perfect dirt to plant my seed in."

-***-

Lenore knocked on her grandmother's bedroom door as two guards standing on each side watched her. "My lady, I have come to converse with you. It is Lenore." She said through the door and waited for it to open.

Sure enough, the door slowly opened and her grandmother smiled sadly at her. She waved her in quickly and shut the door behind her, before turning to Lenore and wrapping her arms around her shoulders. She kissed her on the forehead, "Are you well?" She touched her hand to her granddaughter's cheek. "You look awfully pale. Have you been eating? You aren't drinking yourself into a stupor, are you? The story I could tell you about Aletta today." She exhaled loudly before coming back to the matter at hand and looking Lenore over. "Sit, sit." She motioned toward the bench at the end of her bed.

Lenore move to sit down and Relia sat next to her, but grabbed her hands. "Grandmother, I am well. You needn't worry so much."

"You are well? Do I look an imbecile? Your father murdered and your brother in the cells for the crime, and you caught in the middle. I have no choice but to sit and wait for an ending, and I am not well. I am a mess. So much so I couldn't sit in my very comfortable home one more moment. I rushed down to these horrible dorms. Do you know how much I loathe these dorms? Remind me of my years here, before I was betrothed to your grandfather. They were not very kind to me." She shook her head, "I digress." She used her palms to grab Lenore's cheeks. "Are you well?"

Lenore looked into her worried grandmother's eyes. "I'm terrified. I think I know who killed my father, but I need a great deal of proof in order to convict him. I do not know if I will find it, and I do not know if it is enough doubt that they wouldn't find it easier to kill Lesatan instead. His life is in my hands, and I feel so helpless."

Relia dropped her hands into her lap, "Tell me who you believe it to be."

"You are aware that I can not. This has to stay between me and my trusted deputies." Lenore lowered her head.

"Who is so powerful that it would take a mountain of evidence to convict? Other than myself, I can think of no one." She placed her hand on top of Lenore's head. "You will find a way, I know you will. This world has been cruel to you, and you have always defeated it. You know not what it means to fail. You never stop fighting."

Lenore nodded her head before looking up at her grandmother, "If I told you who did it, you might not believe me or become very upset."

"Is it Silarius?" She asked with a slight hint of fear in her voice.

She was close to guessing who it was by just one generation. "Grandmother, I wish to tell you. I know you could help me, but..."

"So, it is Damek then." She closed her eyes and folded her hands together. "I always knew he was jealous of Lesatan's position, but I never imagined he would kill in jealousy's name." She nodded her head, "Very well. Are you taking time for yourself?" She changed the subject abruptly so that Lenore couldn't deny that it was him.

"I have."

"Liar." Relia stared at her face until Lenore looked away in a manner that told her grandmother that she was embarrassed. "Ah, a young man? Perhaps the rather large Mondue I met before?"

Lenore placed her hand over her face, "Grandmother." She whined, "That isn't important right now. I came to..."

"Tell me that you could tell me nothing. Yes, I heard well enough. Now, tell me of him. Santh is his name, correct?" Relia hit her with her shoulder. "Come, come. Let us talk about boys and take our minds away from this madness. Do you love him?"

"Yes... maybe." Lenore stood up from her seat, "He is waiting outside, I really should leave now."

Relia laughed as she watched her red faced granddaughter exit the room.