Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 57: Sow Discontent

Nine days had passed since the fateful morning that changed every one's world. Her mother had come to take the body home where it would be cremated on a pyre. She had not spoken much and seemed always a breath away from completely breaking down into tears. The only words she managed to say to any of them was where it ceremony would be held.

As much as everyone had wanted to be there to say their goodbyes to Ophelia; finding her killer and proving his guilt was the priority. None of her friends had gone though they had all sent thoughtful notes and explained their absence.

“I just don't understand how it would be Damek.” Harona shook her head and folded her arms. She wasn't a deputy for Lenore, but they trusted her enough to be part of the discussions. “He paid for this dorm, didn't he?”

“He helped.” Remus reminded her as they all stood around a table in the court that held evidence and theories.

“He is obsessed with Lenore.” Anton reminded her. “Obviously, he was trying to get into her good graces.”

Everyone seemed to agree except for Lenore.

“Lesatan blackmailed me with this dorm, but it was not his idea. I have discussed this with him, and he had admitted that Damek brought the plan to his attention. My return to the dorm was Damek at work not my brother.” Lenore explained as she picked up her tea cup and took a large gulp. “This whole plot has been in motion for years.”

“So, he paid for the dorm...” Santh began.

“Helped pay.” Remus grumbled.

Santh started anew as he glared at his friend. “He helped pay for the dorm only to turn to Lesatan and convince him to use it against you? Why?”

She shrugged her shoulders, “To sow discontent? To have me close at hand? That doesn't make any sense since he left university that year. Damek did not approach me often while I was here either. He has never shown any fondness for me what so ever.”

“Perhaps it was to keep you and all others from seeing his actions.” Jolon suggested.

Routine was sitting on the steps of the dorm platform where he remained quiet, although he was listening to the conversation.

Lenore sighed, “We have been over this time and time again for over a week now. It hasn't done us any good other than to seed doubt that Damek is even involved.” She looked toward Harona for a moment. “Where has Authin been? He barely speaks two words to me whenever I see him.”

“He hasn't said, but he seems to be going between the dorm and the mail room quiet often.” Remus told her. “Why don't you set some spies upon him since you have your now network now.”

“Not this again.” Lenore whined.

“You took some of my people!” Remus barked.

“They still do your bidding!”

“At your behest!” He threw his hand in the air.

Santh placed his hand on Lenore's shoulder. “That's enough. We need a break from this table for a bit. Let's go for a walk?”

Lenore nodded her head and looked over at Saena. “Could you go into town and purchase some food for us?”

“Yes, of course.” She turned her attention to Jolon, “Will you accompany me?”

He agreed and the two left down the dirt path, as Lenore and Santh wandered into the forest to spend some time together.

---***---

Santh held Lenore's hand as they walked beside the stream. They did not speak initially, and he wondered how he had managed from loathing her over a year ago to being here with her as horrible as the situation was at the moment. Dread filled every second that he spent with her, because he knew that too soon the end result of their hard work would be at hand, and he feared what that would mean for her.

He didn't think they could save Lesatan which would mean Lenore would become queen, and if she refused Damek that would mean civil war. At the end of that war one of the two would die, and he feared for her safety even now.

“I wonder when they will call this to trial. I know the Headmaster is trying to give me as much time as possible, but there will only be so long before...” She cut herself off and took a deep breath. “I'm not ready.”

Santh had no option but to lie to her in these moments. Even if he did not believe this was winnable, he needed Lenore to believe it was. If anyone could make the impossible possible it would be her. “You are going to do great, and your brother will once again be heir to the throne. All you have to do is keeping working hard until it's time to stop.”

Lenore nodded her head as she stopped walking and turned to Santh. She ran her hands by his waist and hugged him tightly.

Wrapping his arms around her shoulders, he kissed the top of her head and placed his cheek on her head. He could feel her fingers grasping onto his shirt, before she giggled.

“You wear shirts a great deal more often now.” Lenore continued to chuckle. “Were all the girls staring at you making your life here awkward?”

Santh said nothing for several seconds, “Yeah.” He finally mumbled, which only made Lenore laugh more. “They only whispered amongst themselves at first, but eventually they become very bold. One patted my chest in hopes of playing a song, and sometimes they whistled.”

Lenore continued to laugh as she stepped away from his arm and wiped her tear filled eyes with the back of her hand. “I wish I could have seen you react to that.”

“I mostly turned red and put a shirt on.” He rubbed the top of her head briefly in an attempt to hide his embarrassment.

Her face lost its smile quickly, “I'm glad that you are here.”

Santh didn't know what to say to her and merely cleared his throat before throwing out a thank you in response.

Lenore smiled briefly, “Do you remember when I used to come back to the dorm drunk? How I would say inappropriate things to you or kiss you?”

“Yes, it is difficult to forget.”

She continued to smile, “I was never that drunk.”

Some color was lost from his face, “You... you were just pretending?”

Lenore nodded her head with a large smile on her lips, “I mean I had been drinking, but I was just teasing you... and Routine as well.”

“I should throw you into the water.” He threatened with some humor in his voice, and with that he moved forward and grabbed Lenore before tossing her over his shoulder.

“Santh! No! I have to walk back to the Royal Dorm to change my clothes. No!” Lenore screamed every time he pretended he was going to throw her into the water, which was nearly five times before she smacked his back. “Santh, I will kill you!” She warned.

“The more you threaten me, the more I want to!” He teased but after a moment put her back onto the ground.

Lenore shoved him in the chest which didn't move him. “You... I hate you!” She barked, as she placed her hand over her heart. “That was not funny!”

As she attempted to charge passed him, Santh caught her and hugged her from behind. He kissed her cheek. “I think we are even now.”

Lenore playfully smacked one of his arms that was holding her. “You ass!”

---***---

Relia made her way down to the cells with a bag in her hand, and when she was at the bottom of the stairs the guard immediately jumped to his feet and bowed.

“Where is my grandson?” She asked in a demanding tone.

“This way, my lady.” The Mondue said as he grabbed his chair and placed it in front of Lesatan's cell.

Relia motioned the guard away as she sat down and looked into the cell. Lesatan remained laying on his bed and he read a book. “Have you lost all manners as well as your pride?” She snapped at her grandson.

Lesatan slowly set his book to the side after bookmarking it. Sitting up, he put his feet on the ground and his elbows on his knees before folding his hands in front of him. “Grandmother.”

“I suspect you are here to tell me that you know I am innocent, and that you warned me multiple times about the consequences for my behavior.” He cleared his throat.

“Indeed, but since you gave yourself the speech, I suppose I will comfort you instead.” She placed the bag on her lap. “I spoke to the Headmaster and he allowed me to bring these to you.”

Lesatan stood from his bed and walked to the bars of his cell before reaching out his hand. Relia placed the bag in his hand and watched as he returned to his bed.

“I thought you might like a glass of wine before bed, and some soaps. Also there are some treats, but do not eat them all at once. Save them as I won't be able to make this trip every day, understand?” Relia watched him nod as they sat in quiet for a moment. “Your sister is working diligently.”

“I know she is.” Lesatan held the bag on his lap and inhaled deeply. “I regret not trusting her in the past. She didn't deserve my mother's suspicions.”

Relia smiled slightly, “Have you told her that?” She didn't need his answer as she already knew. “You should tell her that you are grateful of her love and sacrifices before the trial's end. That way no matter what the outcome, she is aware of your feelings.”

“I know.” He sighed, “I just wonder why she felt the need to run to South Dorm. Why she treated me so poorly? She sneaked around at all hours of the night, and for what? She is the one that made me suspicious of her.”

“Do not worry, I am certain she will explain herself when the time is right.” Relia licked her bottom lip. “This must be difficult for you. Sitting in a cell and placing your fate in another's hands.”

“The information filtered to me is unsatisfactory, and I know Lenore blames me for her friend's death even if I am not ultimately responsible.” He rubbed his neck nervously, “It was my anger towards Damek that made me tell him something valuable, and now... someone else paid for my inability to stay rational.”

“When you are free of this place, you should ensure that those who have sacrificed for you are rewarded, even those who have died.”

“What good is it to assist the dead? They care not.” Lesatan's annoyance was becoming clear.

“It isn't for the dead when you honor them; it is for those they left behind, Les. You should always remember the living and what they need because they are the ones who sacrifice for their king. Is that not what your sister and her friends are doing? Sacrifice? Do you realize how easily Lenore could take the throne in this instance? Yet, she remains loyal and she wants justice for you and for your father.” Relia tilted her head to the side. “You must always think of those around you and in doing so you will be loved.”

Lesatan swallowed, “You speak as if Lenore has already freed me, but here I remain. Save your advice as you may have to tell this to Lenore instead.”

His grandmother frowned, “Lenore doesn't need to be told this.”

---***---

As Lenore and Santh approached the dorm two figures began to make their way to them. Dalton and Audrey stood side by side as they stopped in front of their sister.

Lenore turned to Santh and gestured for him to give them a moment, and so he moved away from the conversation but kept Lenore within eyesight.

“What is it?” Lenore asked. She expected Dalton to speak to her from time to time but he was usually civil. Audrey, however, was always willing to channel her mother.

“I suspect you did not know that Clarice started her first year this year.” Audrey began. “Mother brought her home after the King's murder. She wanted us to go along, but we insisted on staying. Clarice wants to return as she fears that she will be behind and have to repeat her second year. Surely, you can speak to Mother and...” She silenced herself when Lenore waved her hand.

“I wonder why you three decided to stay in South Dorm instead of in the Royal Dorm where I was located.” Lenore crossed her arms.

Dalton answered, “We thought it safer with the outcasts then in the lion's den. Vinsons may be part of the Royal Party, but we are not welcomed.”

“Yes, it has been quite the humbling experience.” Audrey added.

“I see.” Lenore sighed audibly, “I understand Clarice's concern, but she should have stood up to Mother as you two did. If she wants to return then she should simply return, and stop allowing others to control her life. Right now, I have far too much to do than deal with petty family issues.”

They both looked down disappointed in her decision.

“I have not heard much from you three while you have been here. Was there a reason?” Lenore asked trying to change the subject.

“I came to visit you, but Prince Lesatan made it very clear that he did not want any Vinsons around his sister.” Dalton cleared his throat nervously, “I told the girls and we tried to stay away.”

“So, he made it uncomfortable for you to stay at the Royal Dorms?” She watched them look between each other.

“I moved here before the girls ever arrived, but yes he made it clear that I wasn't welcome to return and that the girls weren't welcome to move in at all.” Dalton turned his eyes to the tall Mondue standing in the distance. “Are you really involved with that low birthed Mondue?”

Lenore dropped her hands to her side, “That low birthed Mondue is Varden Aguilar's son as I am certain you are well aware.”

Audrey held up her hand briefly as if she was trying to get a teacher to call upon her, but dropped it before speaking. “Ophelia... did they kill her for overstaying her welcome?”

“No.” Lenore snapped. “Why would it matter to you anyway? You are of Royal standing you can stay as long as you like. You two could even become professors if you wished, which would be a better alternative to the life that awaits you.”

Audrey shoved her brother with her shoulder, “Tell her what you told me.”

Dalton glared briefly at her before turning to Lenore. “Damek... while I was at the Royal Dorms, he used to ask me to his study to get information about you. That is why I eventually stopped coming to study group, but he insisted still so I felt compelled to come to South Dorm. I thought... I thought that would be useful.”

Inhaling deeply, she thought for a moment. “That does not surprise me in the least. What sort of questions did he ask?”

“Very uncomfortable ones. He asks about what you did while I saw you, and he wanted details. He asked about your relationship with the Mondue. He wanted to know your likes and dislikes. It felt more like a man trying to find a way to woo a woman then anything else to me.” Dalton played with his fingers nervously.

“Keep that information to yourselves, and be careful. Do not go anywhere alone, understood?” She watched them nod. “Alright, I have much to do. We will speak another time.”

---***---

Harona sat on her bed with the her assigned school work laying beside her. She thought of how lonely it was without Ophelia around, and how quiet it was now that all the other girls had left. The world was a different place when just one person leaves your life, but now there was such silence.

Of course thinking of Ophelia led her mind to think of Routine kissing her. She couldn't quiet understand why he had done it. Was it to comfort her? Was it to show emotion? Was he in need of affection after his fiance's murder and had without intent to harm used her?

She couldn't help but think that Routine was without emotion. He had told the others before that he was not interested in sleeping with women or men, and that made her curious to his physical contact with her.

Routine had not spoken to her since that day and in fact he spent most of his time locked away in his room. He seemed to only exit when Lenore was holding a meeting or when he was sent on some errand by her. She wanted to say he looked sad, but in truth he seemed to be very much himself whenever she got a glimpse of him.

The sliding door opened and Saena entered the room. “What are you thinking about?” She asked when she saw Harona staring so intently at the floor.

Harona seemed to be surprised as if she had not realized her friend had entered the dorm room. “I... Saena, something strange happened.”

“Oh?” Saena walked over to the other side of the room and sat down on her bottom bunk. She picked up her lap desk and leaned back against her pillows as if she was about to start studying.

“Routine kissed me.”

Immediately, Saena sat back up and put the desk to the side. “Routine? Our Routine? When did this happen? Why did it happen?”

“The day we found Ophelia. He saw me upset and he came in here to comfort me. I told him I was having a difficult time because Anton said we were not a pair but also the worse pain of Ophelia's death was attacking me. Somehow I told him that I have not been kissed in some time, and he just kissed me and told me he solved one of my issues.” Harona grabbed the bed on either side of her hip as she exhaled. She had been wanting to tell someone for a while now.

Saena sat quietly before a moment. “The day his fiance dies; he kisses you? That is very strange behavior.”

“I agree. I thought perhaps that he was also in need of comfort, but everyone knows that Remus and Ophelia were carrying on behind his back. Perhaps he wasn't so emotionally attached to her or perhaps he knew all along?” Harona swallowed, “It is still strange no matter the reason. Kissing me like that on such a day. It only adds to my worries.”

Saena sighed, “Have you spoken to him since then?”

“No.”

“I suppose the only way you will understand his reasons is to ask him yourself. I am sure our dear Routine has a perfectly logical reason for doing such an... illogical thing.” Saena slowly shook her head.

“I do not think I can. Whenever I see him my cheeks flush like I am some child. I am so embarrassed by not only the act, but by my inability to understand its meaning.” She lifted her hands and placed them on her cheeks.

Sitting back on her pillows, Saena put her desk on her lap. “If you want answers, you'll take your rosy cheeks over to him and demand them.”

Inhaling deeply, Harona grabbed her own desk and leaned back on her pillows. “Maybe but now is not the time. With Ophelia... gone and a murderer on the loose, I need to stop thinking about such trivial matters and take better care of my school work.”

“Sometimes we need to deal with our trivial matters first in order to focus on what is important.” Saena told her but got no response from her friend.

---***---

Damek knew his grandmother was in her study that was attached to her private bedroom. He had created a plan and had decided to put it in action that evening.

It was obvious that Lenore had pinpointed him as the culprit, and therefore he would need to remove Lesatan and use a coming civil war to get his wanted results. Of course, if Lenore did not accept his proposal and allow him to become king, he would have to remove her as well. The idea of killing her did not appeal to him, but if she left him no choice he would ensure her death. Damek was going to be king and no one would stand in his way.

He had seen his grandmother during meals and she had seemed distant towards him. Lesatan's advisers did not act any differently, so he suspected that they were not part of Lenore's trust.

Since his grandmother was so suspicious, he decided that she would be the perfect conduit to ensure that Lenore acted.

Everything was in order. He had brought forth old spy network of those loyal to Romanus, and had never been caught. He had promised to remove Lesatan and Lucius from power, and they had given him their full support.

With that support, he had assassins at the ready and guards in his pocket. They would act to kill Lesatan. This he would hint to his grandmother. If she told Lenore, she would no doubt try to save her brother which would look as if she was part of the plot all along. She would be forced to accept his proposal or die, and with Lesatan already dead after breaking out, there would be no trial for him.

If Lenore did not act, his assassins would remove him from the cells and make it appear that he escaped. He would simply disappear from the world. To prevent civil war, Lenore would have no choice but to accept his offer.

Knocking on the study door, he entered the room and walked over to the chair in front of his grandmother's desk. She was reading some letters and glared over the scroll as he walked into the room.

“I do not recall summoning you, Damek.” She cleared her throat. “This is a letter from your father. He is distraught over his brother's death and will be returning home with haste.” She set it on the table.

“It will take a couple weeks before he arrives. Hopefully the trial and all this nasty business will be over by then.” He leaned back in his chair and crossed his legs.

“Yes, I suppose.”

“Of course, I have high hopes that this will end rather quickly within the week.” Damek smirked. He did not care if he was obvious as he wanted to be certain his grandmother understood the connotation of his words. Even if his assassins had to remove Lesatan and she was sure that he had acted against Lesatan, there would be no proof. His grandmother would have no choice but to elect Lenore as the heir, and allow his plans to come to fruition.

Relia brought her brows together. “The trial date has not even been set. This sort of thing could take weeks if not months.”

He slowly nodded his head, “Yes, of course. I am sure there are ways to move the proceedings along.” He folded his hand on his lap. “You've always wanted Lenore as queen, haven't you? You prefer her over your legitimate grandson.”

Picking up her tea cup, she took a sip before setting it down. “I do not think this is an appropriate topic to discuss, Damek.”

“Why have you never considered me, grandmother? I am a legitimate grandson as well, but you have never once asked if I would like the throne. Is it because I am a Tahan and not a Cromwell? It was you that forced my father to take your maiden name in order to remove himself as heir. So this could simply be fixed by giving me the Cromwell name as you did Lenore, after all the deal was she would be a Vinson her entire life. Isn't that so?” Standing up, Damek adjusted his clothes. “Just something to discuss, grandmother. Have a good day.”

Relia watched him walk toward the door and when he left, she swallowed. He was definitely up to something, and he was purposely being obvious. He wanted her to see and she was afraid to know why.

---***---

Santh held a box in his hands which had been sent by The Brotherhood in order to prove they had received letters from Lesatan but they were all empty. He had looked them over before bringing them to the Royal Dorm.

Lenore had assigned him as her personal guard so he could come and go from the dorm as he pleased. So, when he passed through the gates, the guards gave a simple nod towards him and did not question his reasons for being there.

When he walked through the hallways, even some Royal members would step aside since he was the Princess' guard. It was an alluring feeling to have so much power where there had been none before.

Stepping into Lenore's study, he found her anxiously waiting for him. She pat the empty space on her desk and he sat the box down. Immediately, she lifted up one of the letters.

“Are they all empty?” She asked.

“Yes, and Routine said they were definitely forged handwriting. He said that Lesatan's handwriting slants more to the left then this person's attempts.” Santh watched as she dug through several more.

Licking her lips, she thought for a moment. “Damek couldn't have taken these to the mail room himself. That is, of course, assuming that Damek is the forger, but if the person also signed in Krius' handwriting at the mail room, we have to assume its someon Damek hired.”

Santh sighed, “It would be easier if we could ask the damn Souchan mail workers who brought in the damn letters.”

“Yes, but they are not allowed to discuss anything with us even if it is within the bounds of a murder investigation. Something I am certain Lesatan will change in the next council meeting he leads.” She slightly chuckled.

“At the very least, you should suggest it.” Santh remained standing as Lenore sat down in her chair and ran her hands over her face. “Are you sleeping well?”

“As well as one could in such a situation. There will be a trial eventually, and I know that my grandmother and the headmaster are trying to give me more time, but there is only so much of that. If I can not connect Damek to that damn bottle of wine then...”

“Who did Lesatan say got it for him? Damek?” He watched her nod. “There is no proof of that at all?”

“No, Damek ensured that it was all purchased in Lesatan's name and the person who signed for the package was Krius with a dotted I and a star.” She sighed once more. “Why don't you head back to the dorm for now?”

He nodded, and began to walk towards the door but before he could open it, Lenore wrapped her arms around him and pressed her cheek against his back. “I changed my mind. Stay here for a moment longer.”

Turning around, Santh hugged her and reached into his pocket before clearing his throat. “Here.” He held out a necklace with black and gold beads. “Before you left South Dorm, I was working on this for you. It took me a while to complete because the beads are so damn small. I kept losing them, and as I say this I realize I am giving a Princess a necklace made out of bone beads.”

Lenore grinned and took the necklace from him. “It's lovely, thank you, Santh.” Standing on her tip toes, she pecked his lips before placing her feet firmly on the ground.

---***---

Saena knocked before hearing a familiar voice tell her to enter the room. She slid the door open and walked into the room with a grin on her face. Looking at the empty bed across the room, she was happy to have a moment alone without Anton.

Walking over to Jolon's bed, she laid down beside him as he worked on his school work with a desk on his lap. She waited patiently for him to finish up, and when he did he set the desk to the side and looked toward her with a smile.

“You look like a cat that got into the cream.” He told her as he looked upon her silly grin that she just couldn't remove from her lips no matter how she tried.

“I just heard some thing, but I am not sure if it was spoken in confidence so I probably shouldn't say anything to you.” She slid her hand across his stomach to hold him and Jolon lifted his arm so she could rest her head on his shoulder.

“You have sparked my curiosity.” He kissed the top of her head.

The grin slowly faded from her lips, “Is it true? The person that killed Ophelia also killed the King?” She didn't wait for an answer from him. “Why? What could there be to gain in taking her life? She was just some low level Souchan.”

“That will be explained some day. Do not worry about it for now. Lenore is handling everything and we just have to wait until she needs something from us.” He tossed his head back against his pillow.

“I suppose so.” She chuckled briefly, “Santh is back to following her around like a little lost puppy. Big, scarey man like that hardly says a word to me, but the moment Lenore comes around it is like he is a ten year old child with a crush.”

“You should have seen them when I first arrived. I thought they would kill each other before ever kissing one another.” Jolon joked. “I suppose the friction was always there.”

“Romantic friction?” She chuckled once more, before sitting up and looking at Jolon. “Routine kissed Harona. Ah, I couldn't keep it to myself.”

Sitting up on his pillow, Jolon looked surprised. “What? Why?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “Harona said it seemed like he was comforting her, but she doesn't know what it meant.”

At the moment, someone cleared their throat behind them and Saena remembered she hadn't closed the door behind her. She turned her attention to the door to find Anton looking slightly stunned.

“Oh.” It was the only word that Saena could think of in that moment.

She watched as Anton seemed to grasp hold of himself and walk over to his bed, where he placed a desk on his lap. He quickly began to start reading a scroll.

Saena looked at Jolon who shrugged with his eyes wide as if to tell her that this was just as awkward for him as it was for her.

“Did you hear that?” She finally asked Anton.

“Yes.” He muttered.

Sucking on her bottom lip, she thought for a moment. “If something romantic happens between them, would you attempt to step in?”

Anton shook his head as he continued to pretend to read the scroll. “They are both Souchans, which makes them perfect for each other.”

Saena seemed disappointed as she wanted to tell Harona of Anton's jealousy, but there really didn't seem to be any to report. “I guess Harona was right. You really never did have any intention of reciprocating her feelings.” Harona had never said that, but she was trying to incite some emotions in him.

Anton looked up from his scroll. “Yes, she was.” He said coolly before turning his attention back to his school work.

Saena felt her own heart break for her friend and stood up from the bed. “I'll speak with you later.” She told Jolon, before leaving the room.

---***---

Authin sat on the bed in Armand's room as they both drank some brandy from a glass. Armand was sitting across the room in an over stuffed chair as he watched the fire burn. They sat in a long silence as neither one wanted to choose a topic of discussion.

“What have you been doing to help Lenore?” Armand finally asked before he took a sip from his glass then placed it on his leg.

Authin had begun to feel like his visits here were more to report to Armand the adviser about Lenore activities, than coming to see his lover. “I have my family's servants asking about Damek since it is believed he is behind all of this.”

“That would not surprise me.” Armand sighed.

“It was reported back to me that a certain student professor often visits him. A man by the name of Marius Decoste.” He took a sip. “When I had them dig further, it appears that Damek has been paying his tuition and other expenses since they both arrived at university.”

“Paying his tuition? What guild is he from?”

“Souchan, but a lowly, poor family. It appears that before Lesatan arrived and banned the other guilds from become patrons to the commoners that Decoste followed Damek around quite a bit.” Authin stood from the bed and walked over to the other chair next to Armand as he was tired of speaking to the back of his head.

“Have you spoken to Lenore about this?” Armand watched as he sat down in the chair before taking another sip of his brandy.

“Not yet, but I will when I return to the dorms.” Authin sighed loudly, “The sorrow and loss in that place is so thick it is hard to breathe. What is worse is that they rarely speak of Ophelia and mostly spend their time talking about school work or romantic entanglements. No one is dealing with the fact that their friend was murdered. I can barely stand to be around it, and I wasn't even close to her. She deserved better than this, however.”

Armand nodded, “I doubt anyone has the luxury to care about anything but discovering the murderer, and when their minds are not focused on such things a distraction is better than wallowing in self pity and loss.”

Authin swallowed and sat back in his chair. “Yes, I suppose. No one even went to her memorial service.”

“They are trying to find her killer. They are all of more use here then at some pyre crying their eyes out.” He cleared his throat and sat forward in his chair to look into the other man's eyes. “I wonder why you are so cold to their plight and pain? When someone dies can you not live a life and do your work unless a certain amount of time passes? Damek will not wait for them to mourn their loss. He will act, and you need to tell Lenore about Decoste as soon as possible. Not come to my room in hopes that we will tussle in bed together.”

Authin lowered his eyes and frowned, “I see. So, I am not to come visit you unless I have information about Lenore? I am just going to be your little spy, and you won't even pay me with what I want?”

“I did not say that, Authin.” He groaned as he stood up from his chair and walked over to the fireplace. “You never think of others, do you? Everything is from your perspective.”

“What are you saying?” Authin stood from his chair still holding his glass.

“I am saying that my friend is imprisoned for murdering his father! Something I know in my heart he would never do. I know that my other friend is suffering the loss of her father and her close friend, and I can do nothing to help either of them but encourage you to help in my stead.” Authin ran his hand over his face. “I am in pain, Authin! I am suffering! I am helpless! Do you forget these are people that I love?”

Authin straightened his back as he watched Armand hover a breath away from tears. Stepping toward him, he wrapped his arms around his shoulders and hugged him. “I did forget. I am sorry. I will help them in anyway possible because you can not. I am so sorry.”

---***---

“You wanted to see me?” Lenore said as she opened the door to her grandmother's study.

As she entered, Relia rushed over to the door and looked out into the hallway briefly, before shutting the door. She grabbed Lenore by her shoulders and pratically shoved her into the chair in front of her desk before sitting down on the desk itself.

“Damek came to visit me.” She spoke with some panic in her voice, but she seemed to hear it and calmed herself. When she found her Queenly self, she continued. “He was obviously hinting to me that he had plans to remove Lesatan before a trial.”

“Why would he tell you of his plans? He would have to know you would tell me, and that I would prevent it from occurring.” Lenore crossed her legs and folded her hands neatly in her lap. “What did he say exactly?”

“Nothing and everything all at once. Lenore, you will just have to trust me when I tell you that Damek is planning something. You know I would not summon you because of nonsense.” Relia grabbed the edge of her desk on either side of her body.

“Of course, but what were his words.”

She thought for a moment. “Something about this being over within the week, and moving proceedings along. He also spoke of his feelings that I would prefer you as the heir.” She tapped her fingers against the desk. “Oh yes, and he all but asked for his last name to be changed to Cromwell so he could also be considered an heir as well.”

“Yes, that is... suspicious.” She stood from her chair and began to pass the room. “In order to harm Lesatan he would have to gain entry to the cells.”

“Or he could pay someone else to do the deed.” Relia felt herself unraveling and couldn't help but worry for her grandson.

“I'll ensure that more guards are put into place, and have Krius stand watch.” Lenore placed her hand to her forehead as she thought and continued to pace the room. “Have you told anyone else of this?”

“No.”

“Good. The Queen doesn't need to be made to worry.” Suddenly she stopped walking from side to side, and looked at her grandmother. “But why?”

“Why?”

Lenore's shoulders dropped as she relieved herself of tension. “Why did Damek warn you? He knew you would tell me, and he knew I would act. There has to be more to this plan.”

Relia nodded, “I thought on this, and I can only see one way to gain answers.” She watched Lenore become curious. “We must start to act in the way he wishes and hope we can see the plan before it unfolds completely.”

Sitting back down in her chair, Lenore exhaled. “I suppose we must play the game with him or risk losing Lesatan. I just do not like being one of his pawns.”

“He must know that we are aware of his deceit.” Relia licked her lips briefly as she thought for a moment. “This must be his way to cause panic and chaos in order to make it impossible to prosecute him without fear of civil war. If he kills Lesatan then the country would be divided between you and him. They would argue that while you are the King's daughter that Damek is more legitimate.”

“Yes, I know.” Lenore looked to her grandmother, “He has already suggested marriage between us in order to make both sides happy.”

“That snake.” Relia hissed. “When his father discovers what he has done...” She didn't finish her thought and simply stood from the desk. “Poor Silarius. Losing his brother to murder only for it to be his son. This will devastate him.” She placed her hand on her forehead as she thought of her son.

Lowing her head, Lenore thought for several moments as they both sat in silence. She stood up after a few moments, “I need to speak to the guards. I'll will speak to you soon, grandmother.”