Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 23: Molded Blankets

The dirt court was quiet as everyone ate their meals. Lenore's bottom lip was slightly swollen and she looked uncomfortable whenever she placed any of the fruit in her mouth. No one understood why Authin had tried to harm her, but everyone feared asking her anything. Lenore had been in a very weak state the entire evening, and Routine had sat with her all night. They both looked exhausted as they ate their meals.

Lenore and Ophelia sat on the steps of the dorm as usual as they ate. The idea of having their meals delivered to their dorm had been such a thrilling idea until it collapsed and their meals were eaten without any roof over their heads.

"I should build a table for us in the court." Jolon suggested. "It could have canopy as well to keep the sun and rain away. It would only take a couple days to build, but we would have to find the materials."

Remus looked toward Lenore to see if she would object to his assistance but she didn't seem interested in the discussion they were having. "I could more than likely acquire such materials. Write down what you will require and I will locate them."

"Couldn't you build canopies for our beds as well?" Anton asked. "I could assist. They would be temporary until the dorm is repaired, but we would be able to sleep without the scent of molded blankets."

"I suppose I could." Jolon looked to Remus who nodded.

Santh was sitting quietly on his bed as was Routine neither were interested in assisting the commoners and Remus discuss this plan. While Santh hadn't sat up with Lenore all night long as Routine had he still found it impossible to sleep as all he wanted to do was hunt down Authin and end his life for what he had done.

Standing up from his bed, Routine briefly stretched. "It is time for class." He informed everyone before grabbing his scrolls and books to leave.

When he was gone, Anton spoke. "Since the dorm fell, doesn't it seem as if Routine is having a difficult time managing his schedule?"

"Difficult time? I wouldn't say that." Jolon responded, "He does seem more capable of adapting to a change in schedule lately."

Without a word spoken, Lenore stood up from her step and grabbed her own supplies. The men watched her as she moved toward the dirt path and as Ophelia, who was also deadly silent, grabbed her items and chased after the Princess.

"We begin stage one of our plan tonight, do we not?" Ophelia asked as she bounced over to her friend.

Lenore looked down at her and a small smirk appeared on one corner of her lip. "Oh, yes. I had nearly forgotten." It was the first time she had spoken a clear sentence since the attack the day before, which brought happiness to Ophelia's heart that she was able to bring her friend back into reality for a moment.

"That's why I am here! I should be your adviser someday. Do advisers have advisers?" She asked as the two moved down the path.

Remus smiled and looked over at Santh who was also getting ready to leave for class. "It seems she is coming back to us rather quickly."

Santh looked at the three men still sitting on their beds. "She kept saying 'not again' last night, as if something like this has happened in the past." His lips were pressed together and it was all he could do not to clench his fists. "Someone has done this before."

"If Lenore wanted us to be aware of this, she would have told us." Remus stood up from his bed and began to gather his items. "Leave the topic be, Santh." He nearly commanded before looking to the commoners. "Hurry along, or be left behind."

---***---

Classes ended quickly that day and Remus found himself excited to once more check on Ophelia's stall. He knew that she would be on her way as well and that they would spend a couple hours alone. As he made his way toward the arch that allowed them to exit the classroom area, he saw her working through the crowd with Santh standing nearby.

He wondered why the large Mondue had decided to accompany the girl, but realized that Ophelia was more than likely the one to have caught him. With a chuckle, he made his way through the crowds of students and came to a walk beside her.

Ophelia was holding onto Santh's arm and she grabbed Remus' as soon as she noticed that he was standing beside her. There was a slight jealousy that Ophelia didn't drop the other man's arm when she took his, but he knew better then to take any action against it. After all, Ophelia's mother had already been announced that Santh was now her son which made him practically Ophelia's brother. At least, that is what he was going to tell himself as he tried desperately to forget that young girl had once held feelings for his friend in her heart. He wondered however at times where those feelings had gone.

"Shall we check the stand?" Remus suggested knowing that she would agree to go with him without any hesitation.

"I am afraid I must decline." Ophelia spoke with pride in her voice. "I have another task that needs my full attention for the next few days perhaps even weeks. So, please forgive my absence." With that they passed through the arch and she dropped the arms of both of the men.

"What tasks do you speak of?" Remus raised a curious eyebrow.

She shrugged before giving him a wink, "You shall see soon enough!"

Remus watched as she rushed to disappear through the crowd, and when she was gone he turned his attention to his Mondue friend. "I do not suppose you will accompany me?"

Santh frowned, "It seems you have already replaced me with the girl. Do not expect me to substitute when she does not fulfill your needs."

He knew that Santh was teasing him though there was no hint of humor upon the large man's face. He smiled as he began to walk forward, "Very well, madam, I shall use you no more."

Santh continued to walk beside him and noticed that Remus looked disappointed. It wasn't an expression that his friend wore often, but it was certainly an emotion that he had difficulty hiding from the world. "Have you never been rejected by a woman before?"

"You know that I have. Lenore did quite her fair share in the beginning before I learned my place, of course." Remus chuckled. "Do you remember the first week that we moved into the dorm and she nearly punched me for daring to put my arm around her?"

Santh smiled, "I recall, yes. However, you are deflecting the conversation. It seems that you are having trouble with your lady love."

The merchant snorted, "Do not speak in such a way, it is contrary to your character."

"I was mimicking you." He told him with his continued smile.

"You are beginning to stir fear in my heart, Santh. You were filled with rage this morning, and now you have a smile upon your lips. I thought those had a short shelf life upon your face, what has happened?" Remus realized they were walking toward the East Gate and he wondered if Santh was actually going to accompany him.

Santh shrugged, "Nothing of note." He pressed his lips together as he thought, "Now that I consider it, Krine did not bother me today."

"Perhaps that was because she has busied herself with Lenore." Remus pointed toward another path where Krine and Lenore were walking next to each other as they chatted.

The smile on Santh's lips was soon gone until Ophelia appeared between the two girls. The three talked briefly before heading to the center of the campus. Santh grinned again, "Your lady love abandoned you to be with them. Surely that stings as well."

Remus cleared his throat, "After we visit the stall, I shall purchase drinks for us both."

---***---

The three girls found themselves in the large basement of the Professor's quarters. There were wooden boxes full of student uniforms, costumes for the festivals, and the item they were there for which was the large printing press.

Krine had made negative printing plates for her father and had offered to come along not only to teach them but to assist in their political task. The girls stood over a table as Professor Thiach sat at a nearby desk grading his students' work. He had allowed them into the basement to use the press after Lenore had thoroughly explained her plan and what use she would get out of it. As using the press would prevent them from writing all these scrolls by hand.

"We press each of these metal letters into the clay then allow it to dry. Once that is done we will pore the metal in and it will harden then we will break the clay off. Our plate will be complete, and at that point we will be able to print our scrolls." Krine explained as she began to copy the scroll that Lenore had written.

Ophelia watched for a moment, "Won't the press appear backwards?"

The large Mondue female nodded, "Yes, but it will print everything properly. Trust in me."

Lenore watched and began to make her own as did Ophelia. They decided that they would make three copies and use whoever had the best plate.

Of course, they didn't have any copies of the small picture of females that Ophelia had drawn at the top. They were reading books, chatting, and doing school work so Ophelia would have to redraw the picture three times.

"Ophelia," Krine began to speak, "you spend a great deal of your time with that Remus Grey, do you not?"

The Souchan looked up from her clay mold to the much larger woman. "We are business partners, so yes we spend quite some time together."

Krine laughed which caused Lenore to slightly grin. "Come now, Ophelia." Krine continued to laugh, "It seems to be far more than that."

Ophelia turned to Lenore, "Does it appear that way, Lenore?"

The Princess gave a nod, "Remus has done far more for you then I have seen him do for anyone else. I believe he is attracted to your good nature. It is rare to meet such a person."

Krine agreed with a nod, "Even I find you irresistible." She winked.

The young Souchan rolled her eyes, "You two are going to make me blush. The Professor might hear you."

"I have heard far worse." Thiach spoke without looking away from the scroll on his desk. "Most of that being centered around Lenore, however."

Lenore chuckled at her Professor's jab. "I can hardly help being desirable due to my status."

Professor Thiach snorted to let them know he was done being part of this conversation and continued his task.

Krine looked toward Lenore, "Speaking of your desirability. Surely you must have feelings toward someone?"

Continuing to press the metal letters into the clay to make the impression she wanted, Lenore didn't bother to look up. "Are you trying to discover if I have hidden feelings for Santh?"

Ophelia felt immediately uncomfortable and decided to focus on the task at hand, while Krine felt the same but knew she couldn't escape. "I..."

"I have been around enough Mondue females to know many of your tactics. This is the one where you befriend me in hopes that I will feel a loyalty to you so if ever I could have Santh, I would chose instead not to betray you." Lenore looked up from her clay box. "However noble that seems to a Mondue, it is naïve in my heart. A friendship will not stop me from taking what I want, and in truth it would be you, Krine, that would play the villain by standing in the way of two people's happiness."

Lenore thought for certain that Krine would charge out of the room and never speak to them again, but instead she smiled. "I thought that I would grow fond of you, but now I know that I have. You should have been born a Mondue woman, Lenore."

The tension in the Princess' heart vanished, "Should I have been?"

"You are my friend in truth, so let the best woman win and the other part with her blessing." Krine offered out her red clay covered hand.

Ophelia watched and wondered if Lenore would admit to any feelings between her and Santh by shaking the woman's hand.

Reaching out, Lenore shook her hand. "So shall it be."

---***---

Routine found himself as the head of the study group that evening as Lenore had sent word that she would be otherwise indisposed. He sat in front of his desk, doing his own work, or at least pretending too as he finished most of it in class that day. What he hadn't finished he had done in less than half an hour, but he didn't want to appear too available to the three students before him.

When Dalton had arrived, he was annoyed that Lenore wouldn't be tutoring him on his second day, but Routine had told him he could sit down or leave. Dalton chose to sit down and began to do his work.

"Souchan, explain this battle strategy to me!" Dalton ordered sitting with his desk on his lap and Anton at his side once again.

Looking up from his scroll, Routine remained emotionless. "My name is Byron Nicoletti as I informed you earlier."

Dalton stared at him for several moments, "Your father may be the most powerful amongst the Souchan, but you are hardly worthy of note to a Vinson."

"Perhaps that belief is why Vinsons find themselves without any allies, or do they still live in the delusion that people are penalizing them for a betrayal that occurred hundreds of years ago?" Routine never took his eyes away from the boy.

Anton and Jolon froze as they watched the heated tension form between the two men, though most of it came from Dalton. Routine seemed rather calm as he normally did.

After a couple moments, Dalton broke his glare and turned his eyes to his scroll. "You are beneath my notice." He mumbled under his breath as he returned to his work.

Routine did not reply and also went back to his studies, which caused Anton and Jolon to resume their own work. Not more than a couple seconds later, did Dalton lift his head once more.

"Souchan, you never assisted me in this strategy!" He slammed his hand down on the small desk before him.

The Souchan said nothing and continued to write on his scroll as he sat on his pillow with his desk across his lap.

His obvious attempt to ignore Dalton, made the Vinson look to Anton and Jolon who both shrugged their shoulders. "Souchan! I want to be assisted!"

Clearing his throat, Routine didn't look up from his scroll. "I understood your first request. I assured Lenore that I would assist you in your studies, but she was also made aware that I would take no abuse from her overindulged brother." He finally looked up from his scroll at Dalton. "How is it you are the worse of her brothers? The Prince has never shown any pleasantness to any one in this court, and yet I find him far more tolerable. At least when he believes someone is beneath his notice, he does not acknowledge them. I am far more appreciative of that approach."

It took Dalton a couple moments to think of a reply, "Are you suggesting that you will no longer tutor me?"

"I am outright stating it as fact." Routine looked back down at his scroll.

Standing up, Dalton kicked his desk across the court causing some of the dry dirt to fly up into the air. His scroll went along with it and he was forced to pick it up as he stormed out of the court. There was not another word spoken for several moments as Anton and Jolon watched Routine continue to work as if nothing had happened at all.

"Will Lenore allow this?" Anton asked.

Looking up from his scroll, Routine pushed his spectacles up. "She takes no abuse from him and neither will I. Return to your work."

---***---

As Santh and Remus returned from the den, they found that most of the paths were empty by that time of night. Now that the girls' dorm was under control, most found no reason to be out once the girls had to return due to curfew. As they approached the flower court right before the dirt path, they noticed a figure sitting on the marble bench while another stood beside him.

Moving closer, they both recognized the two men. It was Prince Lesatan and his large adviser Krius. Once they approached, Lesatan stood from the bench and walked toward the two men.

"My Prince, what an honor that you would visit..." Remus began but Lesatan cut him off with a quick raise of his hand.

He looked toward Santh with a deep frown upon his face. Though he was shorter, he knew that Krius was nearby and there would be no trouble.

"Tell me how a Mondue commoner could believe he could attack a Royal and receive no punishment?" Lesatan looked up at the man.

Santh turned his eyes to Remus briefly, before looking back at the Prince. "Do you speak of Authin Nele?"

"So you admit to it." Lesatan turned around and walked back to stand beside Krius, as soon as he was near him Krius stepped forward.

With one hand he shoved Santh as hard as he could, which caused Santh to stumble but he was able to catch himself before he fell. He wanted to hit the man before him no matter how much larger he was, Santh was certain he could win, but he knew that he was politically powerless in this moment. Any attempt on his part, no matter how much they deserved it could mean the end of his time at the school or possibly his life.

"What is it, commoner? Krius not as easy of a target?" Lesatan taunted.

Remus was shocked and began to stutter out a response. "Milord, if you would... lend me a moment of... your time. I can explain... what occurred between Authin and Santh."

Santh stood straight once more and came to stand before Krius, he had to look up to stare into the man's eyes. "I am not the one who should be punished for my behavior, I was protecting..." He cut himself off as he wondered if this was something that Lenore would want her brother to know.

"Protecting what?" Lesatan asked, and when Santh had no more to say, he grinned. "Give him a beating he won't soon forget."

Santh was helpless as he watched Krius lift his fist and send it flying into his face. It knocked him to the ground and he could immediately taste blood. When the large Mondue moved forward and lifted his leg, Santh rolled into a small ball and hoped he would be able to protect himself from the cowardly attack.

Remus stood nearby and Santh could hear him begging for him to stop that this was all a misunderstanding.

"What is the meaning of this!" Lenore's voice shot through the night and she appeared in the court with Ophelia at her side. "If you kick him, Krius, I will ensure your life becomes a living hell!" She yelled as she made her way to Santh's side.

He brushed her off when Krius stepped back and Lenore attempted to help him stand. He didn't want to look any weaker than he already had to act.

Lenore stood up as Ophelia walked over to Santh and touched his broken lip. He shoved her hand away, while Lenore came to stand in front of her brother.

"Santh has done nothing to you!" She barked.

"Authin Nele returned a second time with injuries from this man. As the Prince, I must ensure that justice is sought!" Lesatan placed his hands on his hips.

His sister snorted, "Justice is sought through investigation and through trial. Not by having one of your hired thugs attack an innocent man!"

"Innocent? I hardly think so." Lesatan laughed as did Krius beside him.

"Santh stopped Authin Nele from raping me, you dumb oaf!" Lenore shoved her brother in the shoulders without thinking of the consequences.

The laughter stopped and Lesatan seemed to ignore that he had been shoved. His voice fell deep as he looked at his sister, "Speak that accusation once more." He ordered.

"Authin Nele was trying to rape me, and Santh stopped him." She told her brother. "All of this could have been avoided had you not involved him to begin with."

Lesatan turned his attention to Krius, "Find Nele, bring him to me!" He yelled before stomping off into the darkness toward his own dorm.

Lenore turned toward Santh, "Are you alright?"

He said nothing, as he pushed Ophelia to the side and headed toward the dorms.

---***---

Anton left the dirt court as he claimed he needed to wash up. That left Jolon and Routine the only members of the dorm alone together, but he knew that the others would arrive soon enough. During class, Piera had passed him a note and asked to meet hrt at their usual spot, which he knew wasn't secure any longer since Ophelia had located it.

When he approached, Piera was standing near the tree waiting for him. He knew he was ten minutes late, and she tapped her hands together impatiently. She wasn't wearing her uniform, instead she was dressed in a purple night gown with a satin robe covering her body. Her eyes darted back and forth as she looked for him, and would occasionally go into the night sky to see where the moon was positioned. When he appeared, she was quick to move toward him and placed her hands on his shoulders.

Anton gently took her hands and dropped them to her side. He offered a look of apology for his actions, but was well aware what could happen if she had been followed. "An engagement to the Prince is an event that one should not take lightly, and you have pulled me into the matter. If he had discovered that we were seeing each other, neither of us would survive his ire."

Piera lowered her head and stared at the fallen leaves that lay under her feet. "He summoned me to his study and informed me that he was looking at several women as his bride." She told him as she used her foot to move some of the leaves on the ground. "I thought for certain he would never choose me not with a past like mine." She swallowed hard as if she had a lump in her throat that just wouldn't disappear. "I was the most boring dinner guest and I never inflated his ego. I do not understand what I did to cause him to pick me, but he explained that Lenore was the one who suggested me. That is his only reason for wanting me as his bride." When she looked up at him, she could tell that Anton was unimpressed by her story. "I believe it to be part of some perverted plot." Her last sentence was full of venom and from the way she looked toward the Unmentionable's Dorm, Anton guessed that she was angry more with Lenore than the Prince.

"I am not angry that you will wed someone else." He informed her, uninterested in whatever feelings were welling up in her heart against the Princess. "I know well enough that our relationship was nothing more than random rendezvous in the woods, but I deserved to know that you were seeing a powerful man. I deserved to make the decision on whether I wished to risk my schooling and even my life on these encounters." He crossed his arms, "We will not meet again, Piera."

When he attempted to turn around, she grabbed his arm. "Please, don't do this to me." She began to sob as he turned back around to look at her. "It was only my first day as his betrothed and already my friends have forsaken me. They fear coming near me as they expect Lesatan's wrath to fall upon them." She began to fiddle with her ring. "It is if this ring has dark, sordid powers that send all who love you away."

He took a deep breath before wiping a strand of her hair from her eyes and placing them behind her ears. "Come visit my dorm. No one there will fear you. If we can befriend Lenore then we can certainly befriend you, after all who would treat you poorly with your older brother watching over you."

Piera smiled, "What of Lenore? Will she not become angry if she sees me? I expressed clearly that I was unhappy with the arrangement she made for me."

Anton thought for a moment, "In truth, I believe that by telling Lenore in more detail, she might assist you in ending this engagement."

A look of amusement came over her eyes, "Of course, just merely being around the lot of you could send him into the belief that I do not belong beside him."

The commoner chuckled, "It has not worked for Lenore."

Piera took a deep breath before standing on her tip toes and kissing his lips. "Last kiss, I swear." She smirked up at him. "I must return to the dorm before Lesatan realizes that I am gone. I will visit soon... all of you."

---***---

The next day after classes, Lenore and Ophelia rushed toward the center court of the entire university. The three main buildings around the area were the dining hall, the library, and the Professor's dorms. Lenore had chosen this location as many female students go to the library after classes, at least the ones interested in learning, and everyone attended the dining hall. She had told Ophelia that being near the Professors' dorms would provide some safety for the moment against those that opposed them.

Sitting down on a bench, they waited for the third member of their group. Taking a couple deep breaths, Lenore prepared herself for the upset that she was about to create, while Ophelia sat silently beside as the students passed around them.

The court's flowers were beginning to wither as fall approached, and soon it would be covered in a soft white snow. Winter was Ophelia's favorite season as everyone was bundled up so tight that it was difficult to tell someone's standing or even who they were. For a few short months, she was truly invisible.

"Lenore?" She looked toward the Princess who cast her glance upon her. "Why did you agree with Krine to let the best women win for Santh? I thought you decided that you could never have him."

"I can't and I have no intention to obtain him. However, he dislikes Krine's attention and therefore if I can win against her she will renounce her designs on him." She spoke calmly as she watched the students pass by them, all unaware of what they were about to do.

Ophelia nodded her head, "You are helping him, then?"

"Yes, why do you sound so surprised?"

The younger Souchan smiled before she shrugged. "You two don't fight as much anymore. It is almost as if you are becoming friends."

Lenore pressed her lips together as she thought for a moment. "I hadn't realized that our fighting had all but ended. Perhaps, there is some sort of friendship forming. I... There is Krine."

Ophelia and Lenore stood up as Krine approached holding two large baskets full of scrolls. She offered one basket to Ophelia, and gave one scroll to Lenore.

"Alright, I will draw their attention and you offer the scrolls. Are we prepared for any downfall that this may cause?" Lenore looked between the two girls.

Krine stood proudly, "I will gladly go into any battle for this noble cause, Princess."

Looking up at the much taller Mondue, Ophelia smiled and stiffened her own back. "Here, here."

Lenore stepped up on the bench and cleared her throat, "Students of Apisarn, loan me some of your time! I am Princess Lenore Cromwell!" She began to shout the words that were written upon the scroll and the mention of her name drew attention to her. "I come to you to discuss a grave injustice done to one gender of this university! Why are the females of non-Royal birth forced out after two years? It is not policy of the university, but instead policy of a student council and ignorant students!"

As she gave her speech, Ophelia and Krine began to pass out small scrolls to any student that stopped to listen. There were a couple times the student would throw the scroll onto the ground, which caused the girls to pick them up and offer them to someone else.

Lenore had warned them that they might get shoved, name called, or even spit on, but both girls were ready and willing to accept this. Krine had a hard time understanding why she shouldn't shove them back or react in anyway, but she eventually agreed to what she called weak behavior.

In the back of the crowd, Anton and Jolon had found themselves watching this scene unfold and looked to each other.

"This is by far the most ridiculous attempt to appeal to the student council, I have ever seen." Jolon crossed his arms and shook his head.

Anton gave a nod and then paused. "Isn't she appealing to the students themselves though?"

The two boys took a moment, before walking forward without a word spoken to each other and taking a position beside each of the girls carrying a basket. They too began to pass out fliers.

"Join us in correcting this unfair and barbaric behavior! Women should be able to have as much education in this university as any man that attends!" Lenore was tossing her hands up and acting rather animated as she spoke. A large crowd was beginning to watch her. "Let us stop allowing our council to turn a blind eye to the outright vicious behavior bestowed upon women in this school! Join us and let your voice be heard by a council that refuses to justify any of their actions! All of our voices together can not be ignored!"

---***---

Santh heard laughter from behind the dorm and he was certain that it was the girls, but they had not come through the dirt court. Standing up, he walked around the dorm unaware that Remus had chosen to follow him, while Routine remained studying his Analects on his bed. The commoners had yet to return, and they had thought them to be with the Princess.

Lenore and Ophelia were kneeling beside the stream as they tried to wash their hands. As he grew closer, he could see that their hands were stained with ink.

When his dark shadow loomed over them and blocked out the light from the torches, they both turned to him and smiled. Before he could ask what was occurring, Lenore began to explain.

"We passed out scrolls for a couple hours in an attempt to get students on our side, but by the end we were entirely out and had to print more." She held up her hands. "Krine couldn't help us as she had too much work, so this was all trial and error." She laughed and Ophelia couldn't help but giggle behind her.

"Where are the commoners?" Santh questioned as he looked around. His broken lip was healing and he had seemed to have forgiven Lenore for what had happened. In fact, he hadn't spoken of it since the fight, and had treated her rather kindly unlike his old self that would have carried the grudge. "We assumed they were with you."

"Always the worried father, Santh." Lenore teased. "They were both very cryptic about their activities, so I assume they both disappeared to visit their mysterious ladies."

This caused both Remus and Santh to become curious, though Remus had yet to be noticed yet. "They have lady friends?" Santh asked.

Ophelia chuckled as she knew much more on this topic, but she tried to keep her secret though she wondered to herself how long that would last.

Lenore shrugged, "Considering that they appeared to be hiding this information even from one another, I have to assume this is certainly about women."

Ophelia continued to giggle.

"Obviously, Ophelia knows more, but she is trying desperately to hold it within." The Princess said as she turned her head.

The laughter vanished from Ophelia's face and a look of shock came over it. "How did you know?"

Lenore did not respond and instead gave her a stare that told her it was impossible to keep anything from her, before she turned back to washing the ink from her hands. "Keep your secret, Ophelia. It concerns no one else."

She felt relief that Lenore wasn't about to push the topic and sighed as she returned to her own hands.

"Why won't it come off? Krine was able to wash it off easily." Lenore mumbled to herself.

Her mumbles caused Santh to grab a cloth from the basket next to her before he kneeled down and placed the cloth in the water. When it was soaked enough, he took the soap from her hands and lathered up the cloth before beginning to scrub her hands himself.

Lenore didn't fight him as he took her hands into his own and used his thumbs to move the cloth in clockwise motions against her hands. A light smile came to her lips as she watched him work on his task, though Santh never removed his eyes from her hands.

"When it comes to difficult stains on your skin, you must be careful not to over wash or your skin will dry and crack." He told her. "Ensure you use a great deal of lotion on your hands tonight before bed."

The Princess nodded.

Ophelia smiled as she watched the two and decided that she would give them privacy. She hadn't noticed Remus yet, who had been watching her as she smiled at the scene unfolding in front of her. Standing up, she said nothing as she disappeared further up stream. Remus had been leaning against the dorm and stood up straight as he had decided to follow her.

---***---

Remus came to a stop near a tree when he found Ophelia washing her hands in the stream. She seemed to be having just as much difficulty with the ink on her hands as the Princess had been. There was no torch light in this area, though the moon shown through enough that one could tell one person from another.

He smiled as he watched her so concerned over her task that she didn't seem to notice anyone or anything around her. Moving closer to her, he tried to watch the ground as best he could as he had planned to startle her but his plan was not to be as he stepped on a branch which in the stillness of the evening sounded like a tree falling.

Ophelia turned her head and smiled at him. "Remus, you startled me." She told him, which brought some pride to his heart that his plan had worked whether it was the way he planned or not. "Were you looking for me?"

It was curious that she asked him if he was searching for her and not what he was doing out this far in the woods. Though he suspected that she knew he wouldn't come out this far unless he was indeed looking for her. "Did everything go well? No one treated you poorly, did they?" He asked as he moved to stand next to her as she was kneeling down next to the stream.

"Anyone who didn't agree with us seemed more amused by our attempts then anything else. Lenore says that once we start getting real attention and being taken seriously, we can expect people to be much harsher." She continued to wash her hands and Remus noticed that she was doing so in clockwise motions that Santh had been doing to Lenore. "Krine and I are going to have the biggest difficulty after all who would want to harm a Princess... minus her own brother, of course."

"I see." Remus knew that he could do nothing to assist them. He had to remain mostly out of any political scheming and by helping to protect them the Fox might be seen as taking sides.

"Lenore warned us that each day our lives will become more difficult as we defy the council, but I will endure." She spoke with pride.

"You are beginning to sound a great deal like the Princess." He told her as he kneeled down beside her.

Ophelia chuckled, "I would hope so. I have learned how to suffer greatly and move forward through her strength, though I do not have a gentle giant to wash the dirt from my hands after a long day of hard labor."

"You see the downside of gentle giants such as Santh is they do not have their ears to the ground, and they do not think ahead." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a bar of soap. "Well connected, rich, and rather handsome men do, however."

She raised an eyebrow, "I already have soap."

"I see that, and it is doing quiet the remarkable job of making black suds in your hands. This soap, however, is made for removing ink from hands, and therefore while Santh rubs Lenore's hands to their bones, I shall have you cleaned up within moments." He dunked the soap in the water and began to lather up his own hands.

"How were you made aware that we were printing..." She cut herself short. "Of course, Lenore was doing something and not informing you, and we couldn't live without knowing, now could we?"

Remus grinned, "Be careful that you do not get to know me so well, or there may be consequences."

Ophelia looked worried for a moment, "Such as?"

Leaning forward, Remus placed a gentle kiss on her lips before he turned his attention back to her hands. "I spent three hours after classes searching for this soap. One would think you would be utterly grateful."

"I am grateful." She spoke softly.

The soft sound of her voice caused a softness in his own heart as he worked for mere minutes, before her hands were clean. "Finished. Now, I shall bet that Lenore is still being tended to by her gentle giant, and you no longer have to waste your time."

"I am certain Lenore is enjoying every moment of having her hands held by him." She told him as they both stood up.

Remus pouted briefly, "Then perhaps his was the better plan."

---***---

The Royal Dorm's court was filled with a fountain, benches, and well tended flower beds that made the entire area smell sweet. Even in the cold winters, there were greenery as many of the plants did not die out. The large gate was guarded day and night by the largest of Mondues for the protection of every royal that lived there. However, the beauty of the area nor the presence of the guards would do anything to save one royal.

Authin was yanked into the court from his room after managing to hide from the Prince the entire day before. Armand had warned him that the truth would come out. He thought he would have more time, but obviously this would be his last moments as Krius pulled him into the court and tossed him to the ground.

Armand was still in the dorm and had been looking through the window, but once Authin was on the ground, he saw the adviser close the curtains to his room. Authin was now alone with no one to protect him from Lesatan's wrath.

The guards at the gate never turned their heads as Enoch and Krius stood over him. Sitting on the bench, Lesatan sat with his betrothed beside him. Piera had been invited out after their meal and had not been told what was going to occur.

"I asked you to woo my sister." Lesatan told Authin as he laid on the ground panting. "I offered her hand to you. You would have been my brother as well as my adviser. Two high standing positions that any man would die to obtain."

Several students exited the dorm and tossed Authin's items onto the ground before heading back in to grab more.

"My Prince, if you would allow me to explain my actions." Authin tried to get onto his knees and off his bottom, but when he tried to move Krius stepped forward.

Lesatan chuckled, "There is not an excuse in this world that will bring any understanding on my behalf." He looked up toward Krius as he stood up. "Move aside. I shall take care of this personally." He ordered the large Mondue, before kneeling down in front of Authin and grabbing the collar of his shirt with both hands. "No man touches my sister and dares to live another day."

Authin swallowed right before Lesatan punched him. His nose and mouth were already weakened from the blow the day before, and they started bleeding instantly. "Milord, I beg forgiveness."

Standing up, Lesatan kicked the man three times. Twice in the leg and once to his rib cage. Straightening his back, Lesatan adjusted his clothing. "I had thought of many ways to do away with you, but I thought of how my sister would handle this and the greatest punishment for you is not death. It's tossing you from the dorm."

Authin's heart sunk he knew well enough what the Prince was planning now. If you have no dorm then you have no home. He would lose points every morning and night until he is tossed from the school. If he is removed from the school then he can never take over his father's domain.

"However, I can't simply let it go at that. You see, Krius has quite the soft heart for Lenore, and he is going to make sure you never repeat yourself." Lesatan told him as he walked over to the bench to sit next to Piera who was watching intensely.

Krius began to beat Authin as if he were a vicious dog that had lost all sanity. Authin had no choice but to lay on the ground and ball himself up as his chest was stomped. He whimpered from time to time but it was becoming less and less as the moments ticked by. Blood tickled down from his face onto the white stone court.

Piera couldn't take her eyes away from the sight and her heart grew tighter. She was aware of what had happened and now knew this was the man that had committed such a heinous act, but if they weren't going to kill him she didn't know why this was going as far as it had. She turned her eyes to Lesatan who was watching calmly as if he had long ago forgotten what he had planned.

Piera could take no more once Authin stopped whimpering all together. "Enough!" She realized what she had just demanded and turned to Lesatan, "Please, I beg of you."

Krius kept a foot on Authin's arm that was covering his head as he gave her his attention briefly, before turning to see if his Prince agreed with the order.

Lesatan looked toward Piera, "You have been made aware of what this monster has done?"

She nodded and mumbled, "Yes, milord." After she spoke, she waited for him to yell at her or even command for the attack to go forward.

Lifting himself from the bench, he adjusted his clothing once more and turned to Krius. "Milady wishes for no more." He told Krius who removed his foot. Lesatan looked down at the barely coherent royal, "You should thank your future Queen for her mercy."

Authin mumbled something but it was inaudible.

"Get him out of this dorm." Lesatan demanded as they lifted Authin up to throw him out of the gates. The Prince offered his arm to Piera and they both entered the dorms side by side.

---***---

A month passed them in a blink of the eye, and Lenore found her group of girls had grown from just Krine and Ophelia to almost twenty women in total that had joined their cause. They made scrolls together and protested areas that the university council had deemed appropriate.

After a long day, Lenore and Ophelia had said goodbye to the others and returned to their dorm. The hammering of nails could be heard as far as the flower court, which is where they met Santh who was coming in as well.

He had been watching over them, mostly Ophelia and the other girls as Lenore was all but ignored by those that didn't agree with their message. His attempts were in the shadows as he didn't want them to believe he supported their actions, but he had grown tired of Ophelia's bruised arms or stained clothing from the thrown foods.

He had discovered that he was not the only one concerned and had more than once seen Krius spying on the protesting women. The adviser had even shoved a man over that had punched one of the girls in the arm, even though it had nothing to do with Lenore. Krius seemed just as concerned as he was, but he knew better than to speak to the large man as much as he would rather coordinate so they weren't covering the same ground.

The large adviser had attempted to beat him only a month before, but his concern made Santh realize that perhaps he was a worthy Mondue even if he was part of the Royal Party. Though it had raised questions as to why the Princess seemed to loath him as well as fear him.

Lenore had noticed Santh lingering, but she knew better than to say anything to him about his actions. If he was hiding behind the trees, he obviously thought he was being stealthy and she would allow him his silent protector assignment.

As they entered the dirt court without a word spoken, they could see that Jolon had been rather busy on his rest day. Though he had been building the canopies after classes, he hadn't been able to get much done.

Anton was nearby sanding down the table that he and Jolon had built together. Though Anton was a thatcher, he was able to pick up Jolon's skills rather quickly though he was no master carpenter yet.

There was a large canopy in the center of the court that still hadn't received it's roof but the frame work was all in place. He had been ordered by Santh and Remus to finish the girls' canopy behind the dorm first and since it was smaller he had agreed without much of a fuss.

They were simple constructions as he didn't want to build anything that would eventually be pulled down. Both canopies were merely a square roof on four secured legs. The one in the dirt court had to be large enough to cover the table they were building as well as the beds. It wasn't pretty, but it would do the job that it was built for.

Santh watched as the girls praised the two commoners for their hard work that day as none of the canopy frame had been completed when they left that morning. When Jolon informed them that their canopy was finished, they retreated behind the dorm.

Remus appeared next to him after he had left the university grounds to attend to some business. "My, they were certainly busy today."

Santh nodded his head.

"I assume you were as well, considering the number of girls is growing. Are you certain that I can not hire others to lend a hand?"

Santh had no idea how Remus had learned of his activities but he had long ago decided to stop asking Remus how he came into so much knowledge. "They are behind the dorm. Keep your voice down." He mumbled. "My answer is and will always remain no. If you continue to pester me over the topic, then..." He cut himself up as Remus began to walk away.

"How women fawn over you, I shall never understand. Unbearable." Remus spoke out loud so that everyone within earshot could hear.