Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 58: Isolated Area

Lenore had to wait until the following morning in order to speak to the Mondue student who was in charge of the other volunteer guards. He had refused to leave his dorm since he was off duty which made Lenore suspicious and Santh had agreed.

"I am sorry, Princess, but there is no evidence that your brother is in harm's way. I will neither move him nor increase security." Macin sat in the guard station where the others found their weaponry. There were cells within it's halls, but Lesatan was not being stored here but instead inside the Professor's dorm.

Santh crossed his arms as he stood behind her. Several guards had come in and out of the room in order to sign in for their duties and take their weapons. All had overheard the conversation that Lenore was having with their leader.

"This is your Prince. He will be your King some day, and you do not think that he should be secured more thoroughly?" Lenore barked.

Macin shrugged his shoulders. "Milady, I know you are very concerned for his safety, but I already assigned the best guards to his cell. Your brother is secure, and I can't in good conscious ask others to increase their hours away from their school work because your grandmother had a strange conversation."

Lenore glared down at the man with ebony hair and striking cheek bones. He looked as if he had been chiseled from marble and set to life. She knew he was taller than her by quite a bit though not as tall as Santh, but he was sitting down where she was standing.

"Not even by one guard?" Lenore questioned and watched him shake his head.

Without another word, Lenore marched out of the headquarters and into the pathway outside. Santh was behind her and stopped walking when she did.

"There is something not right." Lenore told him in a lowered voice and watched as Santh pressed his lips together. "Are they corruptible?"

Santh sighed, "Mondues have great honor, but we are only men, Lenore. If they have been paid, then there is a logical reason behind it."

"Such as?"

"They believe you to be a better ruler or they believe Damek to be so. Either way, if the guards of this school are willing to turn their backs to any harm that may befall..." He stopped speaking when he noticed Krius in the distance.

The school was still fairly empty except for an occasional student walking between their dorm and the library.

Lenore followed his line of sight, and before he could say anything rushed over to Krius. "Krius!" She cried out and grabbed his arm.

Krius was surprised to see her, but immediately made eye contact with the Mondue following behind her. Neither one was pleased to see the other, even though Krius had been helpful to Santh during the ball.

"Krius," Lenore pulled him over to an isolated area away from the library, "Damek is behind all of this." She told him in a lowered voice. "He plans to move against Lesatan and harm him before the trial, or at least we suspect he might. We need you to go to his cell and protect him while we continue our investigation. No one sees him except you and me, understood?"

He looked confused, "Why not just increase guards around the Professor's dorm?"

"It appears that Damek owns their honor." Santh informed him, and that one sentence made Krius look like he just tasted something bitter.

"I see." He looked back to Lenore. "Very well. I will give the order, and remain with him until you deem it unnecessary."

With that he walked away without asking any more questions.

"That was a great deal easier than I thought it would be." Lenore bit her bottom lip briefly. "He must really trust my word."

"Or be very loyal to your brother."

---***---

"Ah! Lenore!" Authin ran over to her as she entered the South Dorm court. At her side was Santh, and neither looked pleased with the events of the day.

However, Lenore smirked as he approached her. "Authin, where have you been?" Her tone told him that she was teasing him, but it was in front of Santh and he would have preferred the whole world did not know about his secret relationship.

"Out and about. I have information for you." Authin looked to Santh briefly as he was not sure if he should speak plainly about his information in front of him. He decided that Santh had become Lenore's shadow and therefore probably knew everything she did. "I have been having my family servant's poke around at the capital. I thought perhaps learning what Damek does outside these walls might be beneficial."

"Was it?" Lenore crossed her arms and it seemed that Santh was quick to mimic her, which made Authin wonder if they were suspicious or unbelieving.

"Yes." He cleared his throat and decided to continue. "One name stood out quite clearly. Marius Decoste."

He could see that the name sparked some sort of memory in them, but it was obvious they could not pinpoint the name to any exact situation.

"Marius Decoste was the student professor that you threatened in order to get Saena admitted into the university." He watched both of their eyes light up in remembrance. "It appears that Marius has been with Damek for quite some time, even before you and Lesatan entered the school. Do you remember when Lesatan ended the old tradition of the richer more powerful students hiring and protecting the weaker ones?"

"Yes, of course. Everyone was in an uproar, even the professors." Lenore looked to Santh, who nodded his head.

"It appears that Marius was Damek's servant for lack of a better word. He has paid for his schooling and seems to be assisting his family as well." Authin watched as Lenore thought over his words for a moment.

"You believe that Marius is somehow connected to my father's and Ophelia's murder?" Lenore's arms dropped to her side and Santh copied her once more.

"He may not have had a hand in it, but I am certain he knows something. By all accounts, he is Damek's most trusted "friend" and adviser. How they have kept their "friendship" a secret for this long is beyond my understanding." Suddenly, Authin felt as if this information was utterly worthless to Lenore as she did not look pleased.

"If a student professor is involved then this would make it where the Headmaster would have to involve himself. He couldn't just leave this to the students and a full investigation from outside the school would have to enter. Damek would have no power over them." Lenore took a deep breath. "Good work, Authin. You may have solved a number of problems."

"To speak to this Marius Decoste then?" Santh asked.

Lenore gave a firm head nod, before hurrying down the dirt path with Santh at her heels. She looked almost relieved.

Authin knew the tension all too well. No one was mourning. No one was crying. No one was missing Ophelia. They were all too caught up in the idea of getting justice that there was no time for emotions. Even Remus spent all of his time working with his spies, and had even offered his services to work with Lenore's though she declined.

It seemed that Damek was very good at covering his tracks and inviting as few people into his plans as possible. Those that were invited were very loyal so he wondered if they could attain anything from Marius, but that was Lenore's task now.

---***---

Krius had a bed brought down for the cell across from Lesatan's own cell. Reading materials and other necessities were placed in the cell. For precaution, he asked the Headmaster for a key to the cell in case some one tried to lock him in. The Headmaster had warned him not to make him regret giving it to him.

The Mondue guard was sent to watch the top of the stairs since Lesatan would be under Krius' eye now. Krius was surprised the Headmaster had been so accommodating, but there were rumors that he was a very loyal servant to the Cromwells even though he was meant to be completely neutral in politics.

Lesatan had not said a word while every thing was being moved into the cell. It wasn't until they were alone and Krius sat in the chair in front of Lesatan's cell that he began to speak.

"What is the meaning of this?" Lesatan finally asked when he walked over to the cell and grabbed the bars.

Krius, who had a book in his hand, looked up at the worried man's face. He did not want to make him too worried. "I will remain down here with you for the time being. Lenore does not believe the guards can be trusted." Krius opened the book to begin reading.

"I do not understand." Lesatan stared down at the man through the bars. "Why can they not be trusted? Are they bribed? Would they cause me harm?"

Exhaling deeply, Krius shrugged his shoulders and closed the book. "Lenore did not fill me in on all the details, as it is not for me to know." He did not want to alarm him if Lenore was wrong about the assassination attempt. When he felt the conversation was over, Krius opened the book once more and began to study.

"Liar." Lesatan mumbled. "You would not have come down here if you weren't worried. Out with it."

Krius felt his frustration levels rising and closed the book once again. If his Prince did not want to let him protect both his physical and mental health then he would have to allow him worry. "All she said was she thought Damek had plans to move against your life before a trial could happen."

The Prince swallowed and made his way over to his bed. Sitting down, he seemed to contemplate for a moment. "Shouldn't there be more people down here to protect me? I know you have great skill, Krius, but you couldn't possibly be able to protect me single handedly from an attack... especially if it is trained assassins."

"Lenore has plans, I am certain of it. We should place our faith in her as we did in the beginning, and wait for her to return here. She will tell us our next steps."

Krius stared at the Prince as he laid in his bed and began to study from a scroll. When he thought they were finished speaking, he opened his book and began to read. They was silence between them for nearly a half hour.

"Maybe we should let them." Lesatan finally spoke. He had been reading the scroll over and over but had not been able to comprehend anything he read from it. This was his fourth attempt.

"Pardon?"

"Perhaps we should allow them to take my life. Everyone believes that Lenore is better suited to be the heir, even my own grandmother." He sighed. "Or perhaps if I spoke to Damek, I could willingly give everything up and he could make this all go away."

"This is no time to become hopeless. I sensed that Lenore was close to something, and we should wait and have faith. If she fails, then we will worry about whether you should give up your life willing or make horrible deals with demons." Krius tapped his book against his leg. "Besides if you died, what would become of Piera and her child?"

Lesatan nodded his head, "Yes, of course. There is more than just myself to consider now."

"It was always more than just yourself. You are the future King, you have an entire country to consider." Krius scolded and began to read his book again.

Pressing his lips together, Lesatan was surprised to hear such words from his friend, but decided to let them pass. He was correct, after all.

---***---

Marius heard the knock at his dorm door in the Professor's Dorm. The rooms were not made for comfort, and student professors weren't allowed to buy furniture or enhance them in anyway until they graduated. So, the bed was a hard straw filled mattress on a wooden frame, and there was a closet and a desk. The room had to be clean and organized with no personal items out unless they were being used.

Standing up from his bed, Marius walked over to the door on the bare wood floor. He opened it and placed his eyes on Lenore and her large Mondue friend.

"May we come in?" Lenore asked with her arms crossed and a scorching staring that made Marius nervous.

"Students are not allowed in Professors..." He cut himself off when she began to laugh.

"I'm sorry, you misunderstood." With a wave of her hand, Santh stepped forward and grabbed the smaller man's collar with both hands.

He moved him out of the way off the door which allowed Lenore to enter and shut the door behind her.

"I am not in a patient mood, Marius. So, this is how this interrogation works. I ask a question and you answer honestly. However, if I ask a question and you lie or avoid then Santh will beat you bloody. Do you understand?" Lenore came to stand next to Santh with her arms still crossed.

"You can't do this. I will report this." Marius had grabbed onto Santh's wrist in order to hold himself up.

"Go ahead, but first the interrogation." She cleared her throat. "Damek is behind the murders of my father and Ophelia Romanus, is it not?"

"Uh. I don't know. I..." He was punched so quickly that he barely registered that Santh had removed his hand from his collar. Blood poured from his nose immediately.

"Try again, this time with the truth. You see that was a test since I already know that Damek is behind the murders. So, your answer is?" Lenore rolled her wrist as if to encourage him to answer her question.

"Yes, Damek did it all. He ordered the wine and presented to Lesatan, after he encouraged Lesatan to use the wine as a wedding gift. He also followed Ophelia after he learned about the baby, and wanted to question her. She refused to answer him, so he tortured her. He planned to kill her all along. I had no idea, I swear. I thought he would let her go." His words were very quickly spoken as blood poured down over his lips, which caused some blood to splatter on Santh's clothing.

"Does not take much to get you to sing, does it?" Lenore glared. "Why did he kill my father? Why did he kill Ophelia over the child?"

"He wants to make you queen, we all do. We do not wish for your brother to survive and destroy the country. He is too arrogant and weak." He looked up at Santh when his hold on his collar tightened.

"And Ophelia?"

"Of course, he would want to end your brother's bloodline if he wants to ensure you are queen." Marius fought the urge to shiver in fear, but he felt he might be failing.

"Who is we? How many are there of you?"

"Only Damek really knows, but I do know it is formed from the people that were once part of the old spy network. They never disappeared and never died away. Once Romanus was dead, they sat in wait to find someone that was meant to rule." He took a deep breath. "They did not want more Cromwells, but you are a princess of the people. It would be less damaging to the country to place you on the throne, and I gather that Damek was promised a seat beside you. In order to prevent civil war, but I did not know that before I began to help him. I thought I was just helping you."

"Is it true that Damek plans to kill my brother before the trial?"

He nodded his head quickly, "Yes, he will act tonight. Assassins will attack the cells, but that is all I know."

Santh shoved him onto the bed and Marius watched as they both left the room quickly without another word to him.

---***---

Standing in the South Dorm court, everyone, but Saena and Harona, gathered around the table. Lenore had summoned them all and they were waiting for Authin to return with Remus who had gone to the markets to deal with Ophelia's stall. He couldn't bring himself to take it down, but he knew that Odelia would not be sending any more of her mead and pastries.

As the two men walked into the court and came to stand with the others, Lenore cleared her throat and began to speak. "We spoke to Marius Decoste as per Authin's suspicions. We were given information that Damek plans to assassinate my brother tonight. We must make plans to rescue him if speaking to the Mondues again does nothing. Which I highly suspect it will not."

"That means we need to gather weapons and armor. In doing so, we will be stealing from the school arena. We will also be helping a prisoner to escape those of you that can not or will not be part of this say so now." Santh looked around the table.

Routine raised his hand slightly, "I am not a capable fighter. I would be better suited elsewhere in this situation."

Lenore nodded her head. "Of course. Neither is Remus so I suspect..."

"No! I am coming with you!" Remus barked.

Lenore sighed and just let the outburst go. "For now, I am going to speak to the Mondue Guards and see if they will be willing to... do something... anything. However, I believe they are firmly in Damek's pocket and have no intention of leaving. So, everyone else must gather anything we might need, upon my return we will plan our attack."

"Going to the Mondues is a waste of time, we should act now!" Remus shouted and slammed his hand against the table.

"Acting now would not be in our best interest." Santh tried to calm his friend.

"Why not?" The pain and anger in his voice was palatable and everyone's heart ached just to see him in this state.

Lenore began to answer and tried to keep her voice calm, as she understood her friend's pain. "For starters, it is noon. We need the cloak of darkness on our side if we are to move what people believe is a wanted criminal."

"Also, we have no weapons or armor and we still need to plan." Santh added as he kept his eyes firmly locked on his friend.

Remus seemed to calm down for the moment though he still looked on edge as he stared down the table in front of him. "Fine, we shall do it your way."

"Thank you." Lenore looked over to Anton and Jolon, "Go with Authin to the arena and gather weapons and armor for all of us. If someone stops you tell them that Princess Lenore asked for the items and that should be enough to stop them from questioning further."

"Remus, we need you to get healing herbs, bandages, and ensure we have a good meal in our bellies before heading out." Santh ordered and could see the annoyance of such a simple task in his friend's eyes. "This is important, Remus. We will need to be strong and ready in case of injury. Will you do that?"

"Yes." He hissed his reply.

"Routine, can you gather building plans for us of the entire university. I heard there were secret passageways and I am hoping we might be able to discover some." Lenore asked and watched Routine nod his head. "If no secret passageways, then perhaps an escape plan. Everyone think of places that we can take Lesatan that he will be safe while we work."

With that everyone began to hurry down the dirt path, except for Routine who went inside to put his appearance together before heading over to Souchan Headquarters.

---***---

Harona watched the group in the courtyard disperse from the doorway of the dorm though she could not hear what had been said. She waited as Routine approached the dorm and decided to gather up the courage to discover what was happening.

Routine stopped at the top stair and stared at the woman blocking the entrance. She stood from her leaning position against the door frame, but kept her arms crossed.

"What is happening? Every one seems to be panicked and moving about frantically." She asked as she stepped aside to allow him to pass.

Routine walked pass her as he moved to his room to freshen up his appearance. "This is not for you to concern yourself. Lenore did not ask you to join her in this fight, and therefore you and Saena need to remain safely out of it."

"Are you involved? Are you going somewhere?" She asked as she followed him down the hallway.

He slid his door open and stepped inside, leaving it open for her to linger around the door frame. Which is exactly what she did, as he opened his closet to use the mirror hanging on the inside of the door.

Picking up his hair brush, he began to style his hair. "I am indeed going somewhere, but I can not tell you anything. After which, I will be all used up. This is for Lenore and the other fighters to deal with, and I only duel with a pen."

"So something dangerous is about to occur." She rubbed her upper arm and thought of Saena upstairs, and what her worry might be for Jolon. "Is Remus going? He is not fighter."

Routine put on his coat, "He must go with them. I believe for Remus, he has no choice in the matter but to see this through... for Ophelia."

Harona swallowed, "So, you were aware of their feelings for one another? Yet, you still wanted to marry her?"

Closing the closet door, Routine turned to face her. "Ophelia's and my engagement had nothing to do with emotion. It was purely beneficial to all three of us at the time, though I understand that Remus had intentions of ending our contract. It would seem that once more, I have lost my fiancee and must find a new one before my mother begins to send those dossiers again."

Harona frowned, "You do not seem overly upset that Ophelia has been murdered."

"Perhaps not from your point of view. Ophelia had become close to me, so much so that I softened my approach to her at first and then eventually everyone. She helped me to be a better person, and for that I am grateful to her. However, crying in my room or wallowing in pity or anger will do nothing to find her killer."

He walked out into the hall which shoved her into the hallway as well. Turning back to the door, he slid it closed. "Now, if you will excuse me, the Princess had requests for me that I must fulfill within the hour."

"When my parents heard of Ophelia's death, they were almost happy to hear it. As if my friend's life was an inconvenience to them. She would have succeeded and had the fortress returned to her. However, I refuse to live in a place that was meant for my murdered friend." She lowered her head as Routine turned to face her.

"Yes, it seems that there are times in life when death can be beneficial. Your parents have profited from murder, and the fact that they are pleased with that outcome shows you their character. I would distance myself from such people as well." He hesitantly reached out his hand and gently patted her shoulder.

"Thank you." She cleared her throat. "What I am saying is that I did not profit, so please ensure that Ophelia gets justice as does the killer."

He nodded his head and dropped his hand to the side. "Of course. We will all find who was involved and they will all suffer."

---***---

Marius made his way down the long hallway until he arrived in front of Damek's study. Two Mondue guards were stationed outside and they opened the door for him to allow him passage.

Stepping into the study, Marius located Damek sitting behind his desk. He was meant to be no where near this mess in the beginning of their planning, but it seemed plans meant nothing to him. Instead, this was spiraling out of control.

With his feet on his desk, a glass of brandy within reach, and a book in his hand, Damek looked relaxed and confident. He barely noticed that Marius had entered the room and sat down in front of the desk.

"Lenore discovered my link to you." Marius finally spoke after a few moment of nervousness.

"That took her quite some time. I thought I would have to drop some more hints." Damek dropped his feet to the ground, closed his book, and tossed it on the desk. "Did you tell her that we would be acting tonight?"

"I did as you instructed." He folded his hands in his lap as he felt a small amount of moisture growing on his forehead. There was something about this whole plan that had gone foul, but he couldn't pinpoint the exact moment.

Damek grinned, "Good, are the guards are paid in full?" He watched Marius nod his head. Turning his own head, he summoned one of the Mondues outside the door. When the man entered, Damek spoke to him briefly. "Tell them it begins tonight." With that he waved the man away.

"Them?" Marius asked with a shaky voice. "There won't really be assassins, will there? I thought we were merely forcing her to break her brother out of prison, therefore making her look guilty. That way she can't be his advocate."

"Oh, I plan to make her appear guilty, but I am afraid Lesatan will be a casualty of that escape. He will be accidentally killed while they try to apprehend him." Damek continued to grin and lean back in his chair. "I will then be named heir, and in the kindness of my heart I will forgive Lenore and make her queen to ensure peace. Everyone gets what they want and little blood will be spilled."

Marius reached up and touched his sore nose. It had been broken and reset earlier in the day, but it seemed Damek did not notice his swollen and bruised face. It was a wound he had received for helping Damek get the world just the way he wanted it. Something he might have felt proud of for Lenore, but this wound felt like a traitor's brand on his face.

Damek took a sip of his brandy, "I assume her Mondue brute was with her." He motioned toward his own face.

With Damek finally noticing his wounds it made Marius a little more at ease. "Yes. What will happen to him?"

"He is irrelevant. You had to make yourself look convincing, and he assisted you with that. You should be thankful instead of looking for ways to gain revenge." Damek chuckled.

Marius couldn't help but to think that all this was about Damek's revenge. It was starting to seem like Damek just wanted the throne because he felt that his father should have had it. That perhaps his reasons for wanting to marry Lenore stemmed from the thought that she could easily place him where he wished to be.

It was difficult to believe that he and many others may have been fooled into helping him sit on the throne, when all they had wanted was Lenore as their queen. Yet, the closer they got to victory the more it seemed that Damek would willingly destroy Lenore if that meant he was the next king.

Standing up, Marius adjusted his clothing. "I will return to my dorm now. I assume that you want me to be seen by others so that I have an alibi."

"Do as you will. No one considers you important in these proceedings." Damek waved him away and returned to reading his book.

---***---

Macin sat behind his desk surrounded by weapons and armor for the guards. He tapped his index finger against the table as he stared at Lenore who was sitting across from him.

Santh waited outside the office instead of coming inside. She had learned that he rubbed other Mondues the wrong way, even though his father was a hero among them. She decided it had to be his charming personality coupled by his desire to be apart from the group while still calling himself a Mondue.

"I am confident that no one could reach the Prince. I will not be moving him." Macin leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

"It doesn't matter to you that I believe some of your guards' honor as been purchased?" She leaned forward and placed her hand on his desk.

"You have no proof." He cleared his throat. "More importantly, such accusations could make you wildly unpopular among the Mondue population, milady. I suggest you act with caution in the future when speaking of our honor."

She stared blankly at the man before her. "You won't even investigate these accusations, Macin?"

"You have no evidence." He continued to lean in his chair with his arms crossed.

"Your Princess is making these accusations, Guard. You have no interest in seeing if there is any merit to them? One day, Lesatan will be king or if the worst comes to pass I will be queen, and you would incur our wrath at this early of a stage?" Lenore proceeded to lean back in her chair and cross her own arms.

Uncrossing his arms, Macin dropped his hands onto his desk. "In the halls of this university there are no kings or queens. There is only the council. If you or your brother choose to break the oath of this school, and take rivalries from this place that is your prerogative. I, however, will not be threatened by it."

"I see." Lenore stood from her chair. "When my brother is freed, and these accusations are proven true, you will be the first Mondue that my brother investigates. You corrupt asshole." She hissed and nearly bared her fangs to him.

Macin's back stiffened, "I would be careful who you accuse of being corrupt. I have not nor will I ever take a bribe. Investigate me until your dying breath, I am just following the policy put forth by the council."

"What policy?"

"Mondue policy passed by the council a while back. Physical proof has to be provided before any investigation is allowed into Mondue guard activities during their duties." Macin seemed smug as he leaned back in his chair.

"This was passed while Damek was the head of the council?" She stared down at him.

He thought for a moment, before he nodded. "I believe so."

"That doesn't seem corrupt to you?" She watched him for a moment and he seemed to think so she continued, "How do you get physical evidence of corruption without instigating, Macin? Can you think of any other way?"

He swallowed for a moment, "Now that you mention it, that does seem... odd." He cleared his throat once more, "Odd as it may be, I still can do nothing to assist you, Princess. I am sorry, but you were given the right to investigate anything involving your brother, so bring me evidence and I will help as best I can."

"There is no evidence, Guard. There will be an attempt on my brother's life tonight, and if he dies know that it is on your hands." With that she flipped around to storm out the door, but was stopped dead in her tracks.

Santh was standing in the room next to the Headmaster. The old man had a soft look upon his face as he looked between her and Macin.

"Macin, if you would be so kind, I would like a moment alone with the Princess and her guard." The Headmaster motioned for him to use the door.

"Of course, Headmaster. I will stand guard and ensure you are undisturbed." Macin stood and quickly left the room.

Once he was gone Headmaster Beroris turned to Lenore, "You must tell me everything."

---***---

The door to Damek's study was thrown open and the large Mondue rushed to stand in front of the desk without closing the door. He seemed to remember himself and hurried over to the door to shut it before returning to the desk.

Damek, who was still reading the same book from earlier, watched the man's panic with a strange calmness. "May I help you?"

The Mondue swallowed, "Princess Lenore has been in and out of Macin's office all day. When she left this time, Macin told me that she suspects that some of the guards have been bribed to kill her brother."

Damek pulled his feet from his desk and placed them on the ground as he sat forward to rest his elbows on the desk. With his hands folded he thought for a moment, "Edan, is it?"

"Edik, milord." The large man shifted his weight from one foot to another as he played nervously with his own hand in front of him.

He cleared his throat, "You are close with Macin, yes?"

"He is my brother, milord." He seemed to be running out of breath from his own nerves exhausting him.

Damek leaned back in his chair and left his hands folded in his lap. "Does Macin believe her to be correct?"

Edik thought for a moment, "He said that it was suspicious that we can't investigate accusations of corruption without evidence. He wonders how is evidence supposed to be gathered without an investigation. Lenore made that point to him."

"So, yes, he does believe her?"

Edik nodded his head as he continued to play with his hand. "Yes, I think he is coming around to her way of thinking."

Damek rubbed one hand across his mouth and chin as he thought about what the man was telling him. "The reason we didn't bring Macin into our plans was what, exactly?"

"He is very honorable, milord. He would never take money in place of his pride. He would never betray the principles of the school or the oath he took when he became a guard." Edik looked down at the chair next to him but seemed to think better of sitting in it.

Standing up from his chair, Damek walked over to the cart in the room to pour himself a glass of brandy. "Your brother might be a problem to our plans, but he can be dealt with another day. For now, we must worry about our actions tonight."

"Dealt with? Do you plan to kill him?" Edik swallowed hard as he turned to face the man standing to his right.

Damek took a drink of his brandy before turning around to look at the Mondue, "I would hope not, but if he believes Lenore then he could be a witness. If he is unwilling to see reason there will be no other option. Do not worry, I will allow you to end his life so you know it was done kindly and without much pain."

Edik watched him walk back to his desk and sit down as he placed the glass carefully down. "I do not want to kill my brother."

"Someone else will then." He took another sip of his brandy, "What ever makes you the most comfortable."

"I do not want anyone to kill my brother."

Damek sighed, "As I said, I hope we do not have to do so. He might yet see reason, but after Lesatan is dead. Now, don't you have a task to attend to?"

Edik nodded his head before hurrying out of the room.

---***---

"Does everyone understand their roles?" Lenore asked the group as they all stood around the table in the court yard looking at the maps that Routine had brought them.

"Why the Royal Dorms?" Anton asked.

"Just trust me on this decision. You'll understand once this is over." Lenore looked around at everyone's worried face. "If anyone wants to excuse themselves from this plan now is the moment. There will be no running away once we begin. We will all be accomplices."

Anton and Jolon stared down at the map as if they were remembering the entire plan. Santh and Remus stood firm with the larger of the two crossing his arms as he stared at Lenore.

Over by the South Dorm, Routine and the girls sat quietly on the stairs. They had watched them plan but were far enough away that they could not hear what was being said. That gave them the ability to deny knowing anything was afoot.

Lenore inhaled deeply as part of her thought they would all back away from helping her as it was far too dangerous. "Very well. Anton, get your armor on and go to Krius to tell him what is occurring. We will bring your weapon to you soon."

Anton nodded his head, "Count on me." He said before rushing in the dorm to change into his armor.

"Everyone else, we have work to do." Lenore said as she walked into the dorm to head to Ophelia's room where her armor was stored.

Saena and Harona said nothing to the group as Lenore had expressly told them to speak as little as possible.

When Lenore entered her room, she slid the door shut and exhaled loudly. Her heart was beating so fast that she was afraid that the others could hear it.

Before she could unbutton her shirt, the door behind her opened and Santh stepped inside. She looked over her shoulder at him and just as she was about to speak she felt him wrap his arms around her shoulders and pull her back against his chest.

Kissing the top of her head, he then rested his cheek against it. "Anxious?"

"Terrified, upset, worried, frightened, and the list could go on and on." Lenore placed her hands on the arms that were encircling her.

"I will not let anything happen to you." He told her as he hugged her more tightly in order to punctuate his point.

"It is not me that I worry for. Anton and Jolon shouldn't be part of this whole ordeal, and I was hoping they would say so but instead..." She shook her head.

"Ophelia was their friend too. The only way to get her murderer is to help Lesatan, and they are willing to sacrifice their schooling and their lives to ensure that happens." He released her and turned her around to face them. "Without her, you never would have become our friend. She was the one that forced you to humanize yourself and befriend us. Instead of returning home every night drunk after making runs for Remus."

Lenore chuckled, "Does he know that everyone now realizes he is the Fox?"

"Probably, but I doubt he'll admit it. He's stubborn like that." Santh grinned but watched as Lenore's smile slowly faded.

"My father was murdered. My closest friend was murdered. I can't let Damek have my brother as well. I'll start to fall apart, as will this country."

He rubbed her shoulders, "I will not let that happen. We will rescue your brother, and we will prove that Damek is behind all of these evils." He gently kissed her forehead.

"I worry that I am asking all of you to do something that might get us killed."

He stared at her for a moment before speaking. "I didn't care for Ophelia when you first brought her here, because of what her father did to mine. Now, however, I would love to walk into that Royal Dorms and pull Damek's head off with my bare hands for killing my friend. He also killed a man that seemed to care for me, but I never let him. I didn't even realize how close he and my father were until those diaries. I never got the chance to talk to him, and I will regret that for the rest of my life." He inhaled, "Remus lost his love, and Jolon and Anton lost their friend. So, understand, Lenore, that everyone assisting you tonight, is doing it for their own reasons. You didn't even have to ask. We are all coming whether you allow us to or not."

Lenore nodded her head. "I know."