Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 60: King Jronkus

“Sneaking into my study. I wonder what ever for?” Damek crossed his arms and sneered at Lenore as Santh placed his hand on her shoulder to remind her to be calm.

Lenore looked at the four guards that were all ready to kill for Damek if need be. “I wanted evidence against you. I figured that you would keep it in here, but I see you have a little pet that keeps his eyes on this room for you.” She glared at Marius, “Traitor to your King and to your Prince, and now your Princess as well. You must be proud.”

Marius made no attempt to retort and simply stood smugly beside Damek with his hands on his hips.

“Why do this, Damek?” Lenore asked. “My father loved you. He thought you would become a great man, and treated you well always. Why?”

Damek cleared his throat as he walked around his desk and sat down in the chair, before placing his feet on the desk. “I suppose I will explain, but it won't make anything any better. It also won't change the outcome of tonight.”

“And that is?” Lenore asked as she tried her best not to shake in both fear and anger.

Santh felt her tension and squeezed her shoulder tightly, before looking over to Macin who seemed lost in the entire conversation. He looked as if he were watching a play and not about to die at the hands of his own guards.

“Well, either three people die tonight or two and I marry the survivor. In the end, it will be up to you.” Damek smirked.

“I appreciate the offer, but you didn't have to go these lengths to marry me.” Santh said sarcastically, and he could feel Lenore's tension melt slightly as she chuckled at his response.

“I meant Lenore!” Damek dropped his feet to the ground. “You two Mondues will have kidnapped her and I protected her and my guards protected her.”

“Why would they kidnap me?” Lenore snapped the question at him.

“Why? Why would they release Lesatan? Perhaps, they were loyal to him and had every intention of killing you in my study to frame me? There are plenty of reasons that can be invited in time.” Damek stood from his seat. “It did not take long, for instance, for your brother to be arrested for your father's murder. No one even bothered to consider where the wine had come from, and the beauty was I drank so little of it and had an antidote that I looked innocent.” He walked around the desk and sat down upon it, “It all depends on whether you want to play along or not, Princess. If not, we caught them after they had already slit your throat. Truly, does Lesatan have no boundaries, if he can't have the throne then neither will his sister?”

“So, you are responsible for my father's murder?” Lenore wanted so badly to grab the dagger she had hidden behind her on her belt and throw it into Damek's chest.

“Have I been unclear in admitting such things?” He looked to his guards, “Kill the Mondues, but leave Lenore to make her decision.”

“Wait!” Lenore tossed up her hands in order to buy more time for Macin and Santh. “Why would I accept your offer of marriage?”

Damek thought briefly, “If you accept, I will ban your brother from the country instead of hunting him down and killing him. However, everyone will be told he died during the escape.”

Even if Lenore had planned on accepting his offer, she knew he would never stay true to his word. He would merely hunt him down quietly.

“That won't be necessary.” She told him as she walked over to the fireplace and pressed in a small rock that helped build it.

The fireplace began to slide to the side, and once it was open Headmaster Beroris and five Royal Guards of the castle stepped out from the passageway.

“Will that be enough, Headmaster?” Lenore asked him.

“I believe so.” He looked to the guards who all nodded their heads and then turned his attention to Damek. “Have you ever heard of King Jronkus?”

---***---

The agent walked ahead of them and batted away any old spiderwebs as they moved through the tunnel. She had told them that this tunnel let out far away from the university that when they emerged they would not see the hamlet in the distance. The guards would not be looking for them in the passageways as they were long forgotten by anyone, but the Headmaster and several professors.

The tunnel was a tight fit and they had to walk one by one. With the agent in the lead, Remus followed closely behind her with Jolon at the back leaving Lesatan in between them. There was a torch in each of their hands which provided some individual light.

Jolon had noticed that the Prince would stop walking and then start again.

Finally, he stopped and looked back at Jolon. “We can't leave her to face him alone. We have to help her.”

The agent and Remus all stopped.

“Lenore has a plan. She knew she would be sending all of us away if we got to the dorm.” Remus explained. “It is for our own safety. Jolon and I have given up our lives to help you, so don't turn back now and destroy our well laid plans.”

“He is correct, your highness.” The agent spoke. “Princess Lenore has carefully crafted this plan long before anything such as this happened. She must protect you at all costs.”

“Why did that giant stay behind then?” Lesatan asked. “Shouldn't she protect him as well? We should go back.”

“Santh refused to leave.” Jolon pushed the Prince back when he tried to walk into him and force him to move backwards.

Lesatan looked annoyed by that action, but seemed to move pass it. “Why?”

“He loves her.” Remus explained. “He would rather stay behind and die beside her, then protect you. I believe those were his exact words.”

Lesatan stared down the dark tunnel as the others continued to try to convince him to keep moving. He thought about his last moments with his sister and wondered if they were truly the last. He hadn't properly thanked her, and hadn't properly said his goodbyes. If she died because he was too blind and arrogant to see a threat in his own family, then he could never be the same man again.

“Prince Lesatan?” The agent broke through his thoughts. “We really must keep moving. Other agents will begin to think we failed if we don't make good time.”

“Why should I allow Santh to stay behind and die with her, when I am unable or unwilling to do it myself?” Lesatan turned his attention to Remus.

“Because you both can't die tonight, then Damek will get exactly what he wants. He'll be all that is left, and he'll be able to tell whatever story he creates and the people will be forced to believe him. What choice would they have?” Remus placed his hand on Lesatan's shoulder. “You have to come with us in case Lenore fails, so you can fight against him.”

“How will I find Piera if Lenore dies? She is the only one that knows anything about what happened to my wife.” Lesatan looked between the agent and Remus' face, and saw nothing but eyes that held no answers.

Lesatan could feel panic in his heart as he thought of his sister and then of Piera, and finally of a child he did not know he would ever see for himself. Krius and the commoner had already died for him today, and he wondered how many more would follow them.

“I can't let people die for me.” He tried to turn back.

“Your father did.” Remus stopped him in his tracks. “When Romanus tried to usurp the throne, your father fought a war. People died for him to be in his rightful place. They believed in him so much they gave up their lives. If you go back now, the lives lost tonight will have been for nothing and you will have dishonored them.”

Lesatan swallowed.

“Dishonored Krius, your friend, and Anton, my friend. I won't let you go back. He was a great man and deserves more than this.” Jolon snapped.

Turning back to Remus, Lesatan nodded his head and they began to make their way forward once more.

---***---

“King Jronkus, or rather Prince Jronkus at the time, was very paranoid. His mother raised him to fear assassination at every turn. His father began this university, and the Prince was sent here to attend and help to build it.” Beroris explained to Damek and his Mondue guards.

Damek stood defiant still, even though he was now out numbered. He didn't seem worried in the least that he was about to be arrested, or that a fight might occur between the two groups. Instead, he looked as if he had already won even with Beroris here.

“In doing so, he created an entire underground system of tunnels and secret passageways in every dorm. He did this so he could escape if need be, or sneak around in the walls in order to listen in on those he thought were his enemies.” The Headmaster motioned towards the fireplace as he spoke. “It is interesting that you found the passage to the cells, I wonder how you knew considering that only the Headmaster and a couple trusted professors are made aware of them. So, I wonder what professor told you?” He knew that he should be asking these questions once Damek was in a cell, but he preferred the cocky look the boy had, which meant he thought he had an upper hand somehow. He might be more forthright if asked the questions now as he wouldn't be trying to save himself.

“None, we located old maps that showed them. After King Jronkus was made king, he told his children about the passages to which they and several friends made maps as they explored them. That continued for generations until a princess died, and they sealed the passageways.” Damek told him with an air of confidence.

“And how did you even know to look for these maps?” The Headmaster was certain that he and several of his predecessors had done well in squashing all rumors, talk, and any information in the libraries of the pathways.

“The servants like to whisper, after all some of them have had families here since the beginning, and they are more than willing to gossip if you ask. Apparently, they used them from time to time without permission.” Damek smirked and crossed his arms.

Lenore was quiet as she stood between Macin and Santh. Everyone in the room seemed to be holding their breath except for Beroris and Damek. They both looked like they knew something that the other didn't.

“I see.” Beroris slowly nodded his head. “Well then, I suppose I will have to have a discussion with them after this and ensure they understand the consequences. Of course, speaking of them might cause them to become more curious.” He inhaled deeply, “I will think on this matter. In the mean time, please arrest these guards.” He said to the Royal Guards who began to move towards Damek and his men.

Damek began to chuckle, “They have no authority here. This is a crime on university grounds, and I can only be arrested by an University Guard.”

“Very well, if you prefer an University Guard. Macin take Damek Tahan into custody, and Royal Guards please arrest our Mondue friends here. University law is clear that if the University Guards have been corrupted that the Royal Guards from the castle may step in. You can thank your grandmother for allowing their presence, she suspected you long ago and sent them along.” Beroris motioned everyone forward.

“Kill them!” Damek ordered, but instead the Mondues dropped their weapons and allowed themselves to be taken into custody. “Cowards!”

Macin stepped forward and grabbed Damek's upper arm. “Please, come with me.” He began to walk towards the door after the Royal Guard left, but stopped to turn to Lenore. “I still have many questions, Princess.”

“Of course.” She gave a nod.

Beroris chuckled, “Well, I shall return to my room. I have not been up this late since my early thirties, so many decades ago. You two should do the same. Sleep will come more easily tonight, I think.”

---***---

The bells rang again in the distance and they would every fifteen minutes until the complete lock down ended. It was past midnight, and no one in South Dorm could fall asleep. In fact, Routine doubted anyone in the school could due to the bells. This was, however, not the case in his bedroom as Saena comforted Harona on the floor.

“It could be a lie to get us emotional and make us turn on them, right?” Harona asked as she looked between the two of them.

Saena nodded, “It could be. We won't know until the others return or until tomorrow when the news is spread.” She stroked her friend's hair and Harona's cheek was pressed against her shoulder. “Everything is fine.”

Routine sat quietly on his bed with his feet on the floor and his elbows on his knees. He wouldn't tell the girls, but his heart was racing faster than it ever had. He feared for his friends but knew he had to remain calm and collected for the girls. He wanted to rush outside and demand to know what was going on. He wanted to use his title again to gain information, but it would not help anyone. It would simply satiate his worry and curiosity, and might harm everyone around him since the guards could become suspicious of him.

Every time the bells rang, Routine could barely contain himself. It was as if they were mocking him and telling him that his friends were still in danger or dying... or perhaps worse.

He had never been a drinker of mead, but tonight it was the only thing that kept him collected. He was usually calm and level headed, but tonight he felt true panic for the first time in his life. He worried for himself, his friends, and his country.

Tonight would reveal an end to everything that they had been building towards, and there could very well be a horrible ending in it for everyone involved.

Harona's sobs were almost comforting to him as he watched her release emotions that he very much wish he could let go of. Instead, he sat quietly as Saena calmed her friend by stroking her hair, but those damn bells would only upset her again in a few minutes.

“They'll be alright.” Saena cooed as she held her friend.

“No, no, they won't.” Harona responded between sobs. “Some thing is wrong. This is taking too long.”

“Shh.” Saena hugged her more tightly and kissed the top of her head. “Don't think like that, because you'll feel guilty and silly if you are wrong.”

Routine stood from his bed and walked over to his window. He could only see woods, but he knew it pointed in the direction of the Royal Dorms. He couldn't see them from his view, but he hoped that his friends had made it that far.

He felt guilty for not going with them, but he was not a fighter and he had a legacy to care for. He had to choose his family over his friends that night. Such a decision would be a nightmare if they failed and he did not stand with them.

Saena looked up at Routine, who stood so calmly. She wanted to break down into tears herself, but knew that Harona needed a strong shoulder.

At first, she had wondered how Routine could be so unmoved by what they had learned, but it was there in his hands. The slight shaking of a man that was never waived by emotion. He was barely holding himself together, and she hoped that he would continue to do so. She could barely be strong for one person, if Routine fell to emotions then she would no longer be able to control her own.

“It has been fifteen minutes.” Routine announced. “There have been no bells.”

Harona sat up and listened along with her two friends. Tears poured down her cheek, though she tried to concentrate on the world around her. The bells did not ring again that evening.

Turning to the two girls, Routine inhaled deeply. “The moment of truth will be upon us soon. Perpare yourselves for whatever is to come.”

The two girls nodded their heads and joined him to look out the window at the nothingness outside.

---***---

Marius stood outside the Professor's Dorms with a guard on either side of him. Lenore, Santh, and Beroris stared at the student professor as the Headmaster spoke to him in a calm and with a tone that held no judgment.

“What you did today was a brave and noble act, indeed.” Beroris told him. “By helping us, and revealing everything to me, you risked your own life and freedom. You will be judged at trial for your actions, Marius. May who ever sits at the head of the council be merciful that you saw your evil and took action against yourself.”

The student professor nodded his head, “I hope they shall be as well. You will send that letter to my family?”

Beroris smirked, “Of course. I am a man of my word.”

Marius turned his eyes to Lenore. “I know that you care not for my actions or my reasons, but if I may I wish to explain myself to you.”

“I do not wish to hear your justifications. My father is dead because people like you assisted Damek.” Lenore growled and crossed her arms like a child.

Beroris spoke before Marius could. “Princess, he did not wish to justify, he wished that you would have an explanation. So, that you may know the truth behind his actions. He does not dream of forgiveness or understanding.”

Lenore dropped her arms to her side, “I suppose knowledge has never harmed anyone.”

Marius took a deep breath. “I did not know what Damek planned. I thought he looked to help you usurp Lesatan, as I felt you were a worthy queen and he was nothing more than a brat that would ruin our country. When I learned that you weren't even aware of Damek's actions, I became skeptical that you wanted this at all. Damek assured me that you did, but you needed to be kept away from our actions so you could not be blamed for them if caught.”

Santh placed his hand on Lenore's shoulder as he saw tension in her hands.

“Eventually, I realized that this was all about murdering the king, and I was already too far involved and felt trapped. I let my King die for fear of my own life.” Marius tried to keep himself from crying as he knew he would garner no sympathy. “Once it was the Prince's life he wanted to take, and told me that you would accept him as your king or die with your brother, I understood. This was never about making you queen. Damek wanted to be king and he did not care who died in order to accomplish his goal.”

“I see.” That was the only words Lenore could muster.

“Thank you, Marius.” Beroris said and looked to the guards. “Please take him to his cell, and be gentle.”

As Marius disappeared into the building, Lenore swallowed down the anger she had held in her body during his explanation.

“It may not comfort you now, and it may not in the future, but it is better then killing him and never understanding why all this occurred. Understanding a person's reasons may lead to this never happening again.” Beroris smiled gently. “Now, let us go to my study so we can discuss tonight's events in private.”

Lenore watched him turn around and head into the building, and as Santh walked passed her to follow behind him she grabbed his arm.

Santh turned to her and was immediately hugged by Lenore who was exhausted from being so strong all night long.

“Krius and Anton...” Those names were all she could say in that moment.

Wrapping his arms around her, he kissed the top of her head. “I know. They were brave this evening.”

“Damek will be punished.” Lenore hissed before pulling away from his arms and heading into the Professor's Dorms.

---***---

The sun began to show on the horizon though they walked through a forest; the sky was slowly turning blue. The birds were starting to wake and sing their morning praises.

They had been walking all night. It felt as if they would collapse before they were allowed to rest. There had been no conversation for some time as all three males followed behind the quick footed female agent. She was rushing them along, when all they wanted to do was stop and rest.

After a few more moments, a man appeared on the road wearing a hood and leather armor. The female agent approached him.

“Praises for the late king, Lucius.” The female said as she came to stop in front of him.

The man replied in a deep thunderous voice. “Praises to the new king, Lesatan.”

The female agent nodded her head, and turned to the men that had been following her. “This is where I leave you, milord.” She bowed her head to him, before disappearing into the woods.

Lesatan looked at the male agent who bowed to him. “I don't suppose you have a name either?” The Prince asked.

The agent chuckled, “No, milord. I am an anonymous no one that joined the Princess' network to protect my king and country. My name is meaningless now.”

Remus and Jolon had bags under their eyes and could barely follow the conversation.

“I am certain you are tired, milord.” The man continued before Lesatan could argue. “There is a cabin about an hour away. You will be sleeping by day and traveling under the blanket of night.”

Lesatan glared at the man. “Any news from the university? What ever has been done must surely be over by now.”

The agent shook his head, “I know nothing, and I will know nothing for some time to come. As soon as we leave your service, we are to go into hiding and not report in until word is you have been given the crown... or Princess Lenore, if we fail you.”

“What? Why?”

“Princess Lenore planned it this way so you would remain safe if she failed. This way no agent can be tracked down and questioned. We will return to the meager jobs and lives we have created to hide in your spy network, milord.” The agent motioned for them to begin walking, but Lesatan remained stationary.

“When will I know of what has happened?” Lesatan more demanded an answer than was questioning.

“It should be a matter of months, milord.”

“How did Lenore plan this so quickly?” Remus asked.

The agent looked to him. “Lenore had planned this contingency for over a year for you or for herself. We were all located throughout the kingdom, and had mesmerized all the plans she created. When a carrier pigeon came with the plans codename, I knew to come to this spot and follow through with the portion of the plan that I know. I do not know who we will meet by the end of the night tomorrow.”

Lesatan looked over to the two men that he couldn't believe he was running away from his own murder with. “This is absolutely ridiculous!”

“Fighting against this now might cause chaos and confusion later.” Jolon told him. “Perhaps, it is best to follow Lenore's plan for now.”

Remus added, “I agree. We do not know what happened last night. If we try to return now, we might be placing our own heads on the chopping block. We must continue forward.”

Lesatan exhaled loudly and turned his attention to the agent, before placing his hands on his hips. “I suppose we have little choice in the matter.”

The agent bowed his head, “If you will follow me. I have food and warm blankets for you. We have a great deal of road to cover once night falls.”

Lesatan watched the agent move into the woods and exhaled loudly once more. His worry grew for what might have happened to his sister.

---***---

“This is a complete list of all university guards, their dorm room locations, and where they were stationed during the confinement.” Macin handed the scrolls to each member of the Royal Guards as he had been asked to do. “If they were missing from their station then odds are they were with Damek tonight.”

The head guard nodded his head and turned to the others. “Fan out, and locate any guard that was associated with Damek Tahan.”

Macin watched them leave his presence, and he sighed for a moment before he saw Lenore and Santh exit the Professor's Dorm. They had gone up to his study to discuss the evenings events with the Headmaster and the Captain of the Royal Guard.

Rushing over to them, he came to a stop in front of the Princess. He felt slightly nervous which was an unknown state of mind for him. “May I have a word, milady?”

She gave a nod that told him to continue as Santh stood stoically beside her. The sun was beginning to rise and the entire university was bathed in a yellow and orange glow.

“I wanted to apologize for not heading your warnings about what was to occur tonight.” Macin folded his hands behind his back and stood up straight. “I believed that Mondue honor was stronger than anything money could buy, and I refused to believe that any Mondue could be corrupted. I have seen the truth and the consequences for blind faith, and I hope that you will forgive me for not being the protector you required.”

Lenore pressed her lips together as she thought of her words carefully. “You did fail tonight. I have two friends that I will never be able to speak to again, because they had to stand where you refused to be.”

“I know. I swear an oath to you that I will listen more, investigate more, and believe only what evidence tells me and not believe only because I want to ignore.” Macin swallowed hard, he knew that Lenore could prevent him from joining the Royal Guards. However, he was also very much aware of his failure tonight and that he should have been stationed outside Lesatan's cell to protect him and not some royal adviser and a commoner.

“I do hope you carry their names with you for the rest of your lives. Not in guilt, but in memory that you chose not to act and in that decision you allowed others to fall where you should have fought.” Lenore looked over to Santh who gave a slight nod to tell her that he agreed. Her attention then turned back to Macin. “I will offer you no forgiveness, you will have to earn that for yourself. I can not provide to you relief nor will I offer you scorn. I believe that what you do to yourself is enough punishment, though as I have heard you will appear before the council to determine if you will continue to lead the guards.”

“That seems fair.” He bowed his head. “If I could be excused.”

Lenore watched him walk away before she could tell him he could leave. Her eyes went to Santh and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders. “Let's go back to our dorm. The others will be worried and heartbroken.”

Santh hugged her tightly. “The Queen is at the Royal Dorms, do you not wish to speak to her yourself over tonight's events?”

She shook her head that was pressed against his shoulder. “Someone else will tell her. I can not spend a moment in her presence. No doubt she will be angry that I sent Lesatan away, and accuse me of sending him to be assassinated or some such nonsense.”

They broke their embrace and stared into eachother's eyes for a moment.

“Are you well?” Santh finally asked and looked at the confusion in her eyes over the question. “Are you?”

Lenore seemed to swallow back her own tears. “I suppose I must be. There is still a long road ahead, and I must prepare for every thing that will be done and said.”

“It won't be alone.”

---***---

Santh and Lenore walked home in silence, each too tired both physically and emotionally to hold a conversation any longer. As they approached the South Dorm, the door opened on the platform and three bodies came pouring out as if they had been watching for them all night.

Surprisingly, Routine was at the head of the group. He stopped in front of them before the girls arrived with questions in his eyes but nothing from his mouth.

Saena and Harona did the same as they came to stand on both sides of Routine. Harona's eyes were red and swollen certain signs that she had been crying though the new arrivals did not know she was aware of Anton's death in those moments.

“Is it done?” Saena asked as she looked for Remus and Jolon, and her heartbeat in fear that she would receive the same news that Harona had.

Lenore slowly nodded her head, “We won, but at a cost.” She replied and saw the color rush out of both girls' skin.

“Is it true? Did Anton... is he?” Harona couldn't finish the sentence as she stared at the Princess with tears welling up in her eyes.

Lenore's heart tightened as she looked at the girl and a lump appeared in her throat, before she nodded her head once more.

“He died protecting us.” Santh told her.

Harona moved away from the group and sat down on the stairs that led up to the platform. She was trying to cry quietly, but after a moment she found her footing and hurried into the dorm.

Saena knew she had to follow after her friend, but not before she heard news of Jolon. Her eyes turned to them and they did not need for her to ask the question.

“Jolon is safe, but he won't be returning here for some time.” Santh told her before everyone watched Saena look relieved and then run into the dorm after her friend.

Routine had said nothing this entire time and merely patted Lenore on the shoulder before heading into the dorm. He was exhausted from the events of the night too much so to feel anything about what had been explained.

“We should rest like the Headmaster encouraged.” Santh told her. “Do you want to lay down with me?”

Lenore turned to him and shook her head. “I wanted to walk you back here so we could have a moment alone, but I need to speak to Damek about something in private.”

“Of course.” Santh kissed her forehead before she began to head back to the Professor's Dorm.

As she walked down the dirt path, her heart beat faster as she thought of what she might ask him. As much as she needed to sleep and knew these questions could wait there would be no sleep without the answers.

Arms wrapped around her and lips kissed the top of her head. She knew immediately who it was and simply stopped moving to give into the embrace.

Santh's voice was filled with emotion something she had never truly heard before. “I was terrified tonight.” He spoke with a shaken voice. “I thought you were going to die so many times, and it took every ounce of willpower I had not to second guess you and kidnap you away from all of this horror.”

Lenore's hand touched his forearm and a slight grin formed on her lips. “There is no possible way I could have died tonight, Santh.”

“If you think that you are more naïve than I thought.” He replied with slight irritation in his voice.

She continued to grin, “I couldn't have died because you were there by my side the entire time. Who could possibly touch me?”

Santh snorted, “Fair point.”

---***---

In the weeks that she had been gone, Piera had passed through two countries to arrive at a ship that would take them across the sea. The country they were currently in was much warmer than she was used to and everyone wore robes with sandals.

They had hired an interpreter in both countries and had been hurried through each one as if they were uninvited guests. No one knew who they were, but it was obvious enough that they were running from something.

Standing on the docks, as a market nearby sold everything one might need, the ship had large crates and barrel being loaded by a pully system.

Xyles was making the last of the arrangements with the ship's captain and their interpreter, while she watched the commotion of the large city around her. She couldn't even tell that the language people were speaking was something she couldn't understand as there were so many voices.

Everything smelled of dung, spices, and dust. The world had no color as everything was brown and beige. She wondered if their final destination would be so bleak.

Her thoughts turned to her husband and she wondered if he was well. She wondered if he was dead and she had no idea, but she quickly tossed such thoughts from her mind. She couldn't think in that manner not yet. She had to believe that Lenore was winning or else what would be the point in what she was doing now.

If Lenore lost, Piera would be in hiding for the rest of her life. Her child would never understand her paranoia as she would fear that he or she would act to take their throne back. There would be no life for her except protecting her child. No new loves and no more children. No life that she had ever pictured for herself.

Part of her thought it was best to give birth, and give the child to a family so that she could run with Xyles far away from the child. So that the child could have a life without constantly looking over their shoulder. It seemed like the most painful yet the most correct choice. This wasn't about her, it was about her child and perhaps walking away from the child was the safest and most motherly thing she could ever do.

Xyles came to stand next to her. “We will be leaving within the hour.” He informed her and patted her shoulder. He had been a very strong protector, and a calming force as well.

“How will we know? How will we learn what has happened if we travel so far?” Piera asked a question that was eating at her soul since she left.

“The point is not to know. We must hide away far away until we get word that Lesatan is on the throne or that Lenore is searching for you and your child to place them on the throne.” He explained. “It might take months or even years before word reaches our ears.”

She swallowed hard at the thought of being gone that long.

“We must protect the heir, Piera. It will not be an easy task.” He inhaled deeply. “You do agree, do you not?”

She nodded her head in agreement. “I am just... scared.”

“So am I.” His response was surprising. “I worry for my son and the responsibilities that I left with him. Perhaps, he should be the one here with you and I should be helping Lenore. However, there is no sense in dwelling on what can not now be changed. We must go.”

Piera placed her hand on her stomach and closed her eyes. “I do so hope Lenore prevails. I want Lesatan to see his child and to hold him. Please, please, let that be so.”

Xyles knew she was praying more than speaking to him so he merely gently squeezed her shoulder. “We must board now. This journey will be more difficult by sea than by horse. Prepare yourself.”

---***---

Lenore walked up to the Professor's Dorm alone. She had passed several students that were mumbling to each other and wondering what had happened last night. Most stared at her as she had walked passed them. It was obvious that the Headmaster hadn't released any news as of yet.

A guard opened the door for her and she walked down the stone hallway towards the cells. Macin was speaking to a guard in front of the cell doors. He turned to face her as she approached.

“What brings you back here so quickly?” Macin asked with his hands folded in front of him.

Lenore inhaled briefly as she wondered if he would argue about her request. “I must speak with Damek about something important.”

“You have been up all night. Can it not wait?” He replied with a curious expression on his face.

She slowly shook her head, “I won't be sleeping any time soon. Not while my brother and Piera are missing, and certainly not until I ask him questions that I need answered now.”

He nodded his head, “Very well, but any prisoner interaction is to be monitored by myself.” He motioned for her to head down the stairs.

As she did, she heard Macin's footsteps behind her. When she got to the cells, she inhaled deeply and walked to the middle cell where Damek sat on what was formally Lesatan's bed.

He didn't seem capable of sleep either, as he stood to greet his cousin. “I did not think I would be seeing you so soon.”

“Ophelia, tell me why.” Lenore demanded.

Damek moved towards the front of the cell with a smirk on his lips.

“Stand in the back of the cell!” Macin ordered him and watched Damek look him up and down before stepping back.

“Through the burns, the rape, the punches, and the kicks, your friend would not betray any knowledge she had of Piera and her child.” Damek informed her. “I suppose that shows what a good little servant she was to our Princess Piera, but it also prolonged her suffering.”

Lenore swallowed and her fist balled up.

“You know, she didn't even scream, because I told her if anyone was summoned by her they would be killed. Taking away her benefit of any help, she seemed ready to die.” Damek sat down on his bed and placed both of his hands on his knees.

“Why did she have to die? Why couldn't you have sent others to question her and not appear there yourself? Why couldn't you have sent them to question me since I was behind hiding them?” Lenore tried her best not to let her voice betray her emotions.

Damek chuckled, “Her death was a message. One that you apparently did not understand, Lenore. You were meant to fear me... to see what I am capable of and either join my side to stop Lesatan or because you feared for the lives of your other friends. Unfortunately, you were incapable of extending your protective urges to them and instead involved them. Asking them to lay down their lives for your brother.”

Lenore turned her attention to Macin, “I am finished here.”

He gave a nod, and motioned his hand toward the stairs.

Damek did not like that she was leaving and stood from the bed. “You will regret giving Lesatan the throne, Lenore. He will destroy this country with his greediness and temper. This country will suffer with him as the king, of that I can assure you.”

Lenore did not say anything in reply and simply made her way towards the stairs. She could hear Damek continue to rant about her brother.

Macin walked with her to the front doors, and before he opened the door for her she stopped and turned to him.

“Damek was never very friendly to me, but I never saw his darkness until that moment. Make sure he is treated well. His punishment will be severe, but that is not for your guards to decide.” Lenore watched him nod once before opening the door for her.

“Please try to sleep, my Princess.”