Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(AU) Chapter 61: Queen Regent

Six months had passed since Lesatan had disappeared into the night. Queen Aletta had assigned Lenore as Queen Regent in Lesatan's absence since she was too upset over his disappearance to continue. When she insisted, Lenore felt that it wasn't a choice she wanted to make as she still did not trust her, but it was her only true option.

There had not been a Queen or King Regent attending university in more than five generations. It was difficult to assist in running the country while also trying to attend classes and do her schoolwork.

However, today was the final day of trial for Damek. The student council had heard all the evidence including her own testimony. Armand had sat as judge though Lenore would decide his fate if he was found guilty of the king's death and his attempt on Lesatan's life.

“Very well.” Armand had just asked if there were any more questions left to ask. Damek stood in the center of the circular room with everyone in the benches surrounding him. “Are there any council members here that wholeheartedly believe Damek Tahan to be innocent of the King's murder?”

No hands were raised.

“Are there any council members here that wholeheartedly believe Damek Tahan is guilty of the King's murder?” Armand watched as every hand in the chambers was raised. “Please note that it was a unanimous vote in favor of guilty.” He told the woman who was making note of the proceedings. “Are there any council members here that wholeheartedly believe Damek Tahan is innocent of the conspiracy to murder Prince Lesatan?”

One again no hands were raised.

“Are there any council members here that wholeheartedly believe Damek Tahan is guilty of the conspiracy to murder Prince Lesatan?” Armand watched them all raise their hands again. “Please note that it was a unanimous vote in favor of guilty.” He took a deep breath and looked to Lenore. “With the vote finalized, Queen Regent Lenore Cromwell will decide Damek's fate.”

Lenore stood from her seat, “Damek Tahan, you have been found guilty of both charges against my family. After careful consideration, it has been decided that you will pay with your life for these crimes. Do you understand?”

Damek nodded his head as he glared at her as he had done everyone else in the room.

“As my cousin, I will give you the choice between being hanged by your neck until you die, or to be beheaded.” Lenore folded her hands in front of her. She couldn't believe that this day had come though she did not feel any joy in passing this sentence down.

Damek looked surprised by her offer and he swallowed hard. “I choose to be beheaded.” He responded rather coolly.

“Very well. The executioner awaits. You will die privately tomorrow at daybreak under the careful watch of Macin Rachis and a full guard of my father's personal guardsmen.”

“Can my family be in attendance?” Damek asked with a slight hint of fear in his voice.

“No.” Lenore slowly shook her head, “They may say their goodbyes to you in the cells.”

He swallowed, “Will you be there?”

It was in that moment that Lenore realized that Damek was afraid of dying alone. He wanted someone to hold his proverbial hand as he went into the unknown. “No.” She replied thinking of how he wanted her brother to die, and how her father had died. Alone with no one to help them through their own death.

He lowered his head and said no more.

“Please return him to his cell and treat him well. This is after all, his last day on this earth.” Lenore looked to Armand as she sat down and Damek was taken away.

Armand stood from his seat, “This trial is complete. We have done what is required of us, and therefore I now hand this council and any business matters it may have to our student council leader, Queen Regent Lenore Cromwell.”

---***---

Saena sprinted through the crowds of mumbling people after the verdict had been read to the public. She moved amongst the students that over a year ago she had to hide from so they wouldn't see the servants. They all ignored her as they spoke of the verdict.

Months ago, it was decided to not charge Damek with Ophelia's death as there was no proof that he had done it, nor would he admit to it. Lenore had told them all that he had told her of the murder. When she asked why he wouldn't confess he had told her that he wanted to leave an unresolved issue between them. So, whenever he thought of Ophelia, she would be forced to think how he was never officially punished.

Everyone had been furious and they tried and failed to find those that had helped him. Lenore finally told them that there was nothing that could be done, but dead is dead. He may not be punished in the eyes of the public, but he knows very well and they would know that he is dying for his crimes against Ophelia.

Anton's and Krius' death was also mostly set aside. Though, Krius' death had been mentioned at trial, it was decided that they were causalities of battle and had willingly entered into combat. Therefore, Damek would not be charged with their loss either. Lenore told them that she thought the council had made this decision as to not convolute the trial and keep it simplistic. He could be tried for the crimes after this trial, but that would mean keeping him alive which no one wanted.

Anton's family had asked for his ashes, but they had been denied as Lenore wanted to wait for her brother. He might have something special he wanted done with them. Of course, this angered the Pugh family. They were persistent in sending a letter asking for them every week.

Saena hurried along, excusing herself whenever she bumped someone, and continued her mad dash towards the South Dorm. She had gone that morning to hear the verdict, but Routine and Harona had stayed behind. Harona's heart could not take the wait to hear what the council would say, even though Lenore had already told them that she would chose to have him executed when he was found guilty.

Racing down the dirt path, Saena saw the two sitting at the bench with their hands folded in front of them and their heads now. “He will be executed in the morning!” She yelled and they both lifted their heads to look towards her.

Harona jumped to her feet. “Truly?”

“It was unanimous.” Saena told her as the other girl hugged her tightly.

Routine seemed to exhale whatever tension he had hidden away as he stood to place his hand on Harona's shoulder. “It will be over after one more night.”

Authin had exited from the dorms. He had chosen to remain out of the entire operation, and had made himself very scarce over the last year and a half. He did not have to ask what had happened as he made his way passed the others to head into the hamlet. He ignored them as they pretended he was a shadow.

“We should write to Odelia and Anton's parents, immediately.” Harona decided. “Jolon's parents should be made away as well, so they know he might be returning soon.”

“Yes, let us do that.” Saena followed her friend into the dorm.

Routine stood quietly as he watched them leave and then headed into the forest where the dark deed had been accomplished. He stared down at the leaves as all evidence of the evil that was performed there had been washed away by the rain.

“He is being punished.” He said allowed as he eyes filled with tears. “Have you found Anton, like I asked? I know in Mondgar the dead can not assist the living, but I felt you with me the entire way.” He used the back of his hand to wipe away his tears. “I am going to have a memorial placed her in your honor. He won't be punished for your death, but I won't let anyone forget what you did.”

Exhaling loudly, Routine tried to clear up his face to ensure he didn't look as if he had been crying. When he was finished, he turned around to head back to the dorm with the idea in mind that he would only return here one last time to view the memorial and then never again.

---***---

Many leagues away from the university, a small cabin in the woods held two people far removed from the world and it's events. It was a lonely experience though the journey to come to the cabin had been long.

Xyles would take the day long journey to town to buy supplies for them each month, and Piera would remain hidden in the woods. She had begun a small garden for vegetables and fruit. Neither she nor Xyles had any clue about gardening and the entire experiment had been trial and error.

Piera was outside standing in a dress that was far removed from the lavish gowns of her childhood. It was beige and made of a harsh fabric that rubbed against her skin and had on more than one occasion caused a rash. Her large belly told her she would be giving birth soon, and she feared how that would occur.

There was only Xyles to help her, and any help was a day away. Therefore, it would be him to help her through the birth. He told her that he had not only delivered his own son, but during the war had helped a woman given birth just off of the battle field. He felt confident enough, but Piera did not. Though, there was no arguing with the man. No one was allowed to come to the cabin and if she ever saw anyone, she was to run and hide.

Pulling weeds from the garden as best as she could in her condition, she looked around what would have been a majestic forest had she been visiting for other reasons. Even though the cabin was small, and Xyles camped outside during the night, it was quaint and cozy. Had this been some sort of time away for a special occasion it might have been fun.

The sound of a horse in the distance echoed into her ears, and Piera stood as quickly as she could to make her way into the house. Xyles appeared as she reached the door and jumped down from the cart.

“I bought chickens.” He told her as he pulled the cages from the back.

Xyles spent the month hunting and collecting furs to sell in town, so they could buy the supplies they needed. Lenore had sent a large sum along with them, but it was used to pay for their journey to their new home.

“Chickens?” Piera looked at him questioningly.

“For eggs and then meat when they stop giving us eggs.” He told her matter-of-factually as he set the wooden cages on the ground. “I also brought wood to build them a little coop. The man who sold them to me explained how to make it. He said it shouldn't take more than a couple hours.”

The more Xyles brought permanent items like this to the cabin, the more Piera thought she would never leave it. He was trying to make her life more comfortable, but the garden and the now the coop seemed like creating a home. It wasn't wrong to do so. If her child could not return home then it would be best to let the child have a good home here.

She wondered if the child would think Xyles to be her grandfather or father. Would they lie that much to her? Would Xyles allow her to know the truth? She was too afraid to ask him any of those questions.

“Any word from home?” Piera asked and her heart sank as she watched him shake his head.

“I can't ask too directly or they will get suspicious. Any information that I heard was not about our homeland.” He began to pull out other supplies from the back of the cart. “There would be no chickens if I had heard anything that made us pull up roots.”

She sighed and walked back to the garden to finish the task she had assigned herself that morning. She felt like her heart was in a constant state of fear and worry. She hoped this would get easier with time, but she highly doubted it would.

Eventually, the safety of the cabin might be compromised and everything they built here would be left to rot. She wanted to go home. She wanted to see her husband. She also felt slightly attached to this cabin in the woods. As she had that thought, she realized that perhaps it would get better in time.

---***---

Damek stood from his bed in the cell as his father's face appeared before him. He had not seen his father during the entire trial and this was the first time seeing him in over a year. His heart raced as they stared at each other in silence for several long moments.

Silarius cleared his throat before speaking. “When your mother became pregnant with you, I suggested that we move far away. Somewhere that the politics of this country would mean nothing to our children. My brother was unmarried with no children at the time, and my mother convinced us to stay until there was an heir. So, we did. Of course, once there was an heir, I did not want to leave. I wanted to see my nephew and niece grow up, and I knew my brother felt the same about my son.”

Damek lowered his head and said nothing.

“I should have left as planned. I should have never told you anything about my heritage so you could have grown up without such evil thoughts.” Silarius balled his hands into a fist as he looked at his son through the iron bars.

Looking up at his father, Damek decided to speak his truth. “The throne should have been mine. You were the oldest brother. It was not fair that grandmother shoved you aside to give it to Lucius.”

“It is as if you willfully ignore the facts to create your own illusion. I never wanted the throne. I wanted to play, to enjoy life, and I chose to walk away. Yes, my mother encouraged me to do so, but she did so knowing I would hate that life and that Lucius was better suited to rule.” He inhaled deeply. “I am proud of what I have made of myself, and I was proud of my son as well.” He paused in his speech for a moment, before relaxing his fists. “I suppose there is no worth in making you understand now.”

“No, there is not.”

“I am glad you failed. You would have been a horrible tyrant and that would have been my legacy to this country.” Silarius surprised Damek with those words. “I have a question for you, Damek. While you were plotting all of this did you ever consider anyone else? Did you think of your mother and how destroyed she would be? What of me? How about your little sister? She cries and asks to see you, but she doesn't truly understand what is happening. How will she grow up proud and strong knowing her own brother murdered her uncle? You have made her the traitor's sister.”

Damek inhaled a ragged breath, “She was meant to grow up the sister of the king. That was my plan, never this.”

Silarius slowly nodded his head. “So, there was no thoughts given to what would occur if you lost this battle? You were just going to murder my brother and my nephew, then force my niece to marry you for power. After doing all that, you expected what from me? A congratulations? A pat on the back? A hug, perhaps?”

“I don't...”

“Be silent!” Silarius snapped. “I can barely stand to look at you. My brother was more than a brother to me. He was my closest friend. He loved you as he did his own children, and you betrayed him. Standing here now, all I see is my brother's murderer.” He tried to hold back his tears. “Since I can not be present for your execution, I am returning home tonight.”

Silarius turned to leave, but stopped himself and looked back at Damek. “If there is any part of my son left in that husk, my good son, who hates carrots but loves carrot cake or hates to get his hands muddy but still wants to play with the salamanders and frogs, please know I love him and I am so very sorry I failed you. I should have seen what you were becoming, but my sights weren't on you. That is my failure. I will carry that burden until the day I die, which a piece of me will at dawn.”

Damek watched his father walk away and slowly sat down on the bed behind him. His lips quivered as he thought of his father's words. He swallowed hard and tried to exhale to keep himself calm, but his breath caught in his throat. The tears came as he thought of his parents and his sister, and how they would have to remain here with this black mark over their heads. Tomorrow, he would not worry about this earth and its problems any longer, but today they were trapped here.

---***---

In the South Dorm, one of the rooms was made into an office so Lenore could work from her own home instead of the Royal Dorms. Sitting behind a desk, she looked over papers that were of topics that council members or students wanted to discuss. She had to decide if they were worthy of their time.

On the other side of her desk was strategy and information for the country. Writs to look over and many other items that was necessary to run her nation.

Playing both Queen and head of the student council was nearly impossible. She knew when her brother returned that he would be behind one year, and that she would probably have to continue as Queen Regent for some time.

She wore a gray tabard now for her seventh year at the university. Santh was in his ninth year and still on track for becoming a professor, though he had no real intention of doing so anymore. He simply wanted an excuse to continue to be at the school.

“You should allow someone else to make those decisions. One of the advisers, perhaps.” Santh told her as he leaned against the wall next to the sliding doors. “Surely, Armand can be trusted.”

Lenore inhaled annoyed as she looked up at Santh and began a conversation she had with him many times over the last several months. “That would make him King Regent, wouldn't it?”

“Give him the council responsibilities then. That is of no importance.” Santh walked over to her desk and sat down on the corner. “You can't be Queen Regent, a student, head of a spy network, and the head of the student council. It is too much for one person.”

“I seem to be doing well enough.” She snapped at him. “I would probably be doing better if I didn't have to justify myself every day to you.”

Santh frowned at he stared at her. “Well enough? May I remind you that I act as your personal guard because we are lovers, not because I actually am your personal guard. When do you think you'll have time to be that for me? When do we spend time together other than my watching you sign papers all day, and then drinking yourself to sleep at night because you can't fall asleep with all this nonsense eating you up inside.”

Lenore sighed and stared at him for several moments. “Fine, I'll give Armand the student council until my brother returns.”

Standing up, he walked around the table and took her hands into his own to pull her out of the chair. Once she was standing, he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and pressed her face tightly to his chest. “Good. Now give me all the student council paperwork, I am taking it to him before you change your mind.”

“I won't change my mind.” She realized he was more locking her up than holding her.

Santh chuckled, “You said that last time.”

Lenore giggled at his reply. “Fine, fine. You win.” She was released and began to pick up what would need to be delivered to him and write Armand a note granting him temporary rights to the council.

As she finished writing it, a light knock came to the door and Harona stepped inside. “Queen Aletta says she wishes an audience with you.”

“Send her in.” Lenore watched the other woman act nervously as she handed Santh everything he needed to deliver.

“She says she wouldn't enter this dorm to save her own life.” Harona cleared her throat. “She was rather mean to me as well.”

Lenore grunted and looked to Santh, “Please make the delivery. I have to deal with the giant queen baby.”

He nodded before heading out the door and Harona followed him out, as Lenore prepared herself for whatever the Queen was going to complain about today.

---***---

Aletta stood in the garden of the mostly abandoned South Dorm. The girls that had left the year before had still not returned, and Lenore knew it would be some time before they could encourage girls to stay longer than a couple years. This was one of the many problems that came with no holding a trial for Ophelia's murder.

Walking over to the bench where Aletta was sitting, Lenore sat down beside her. The Queen had remained at the university to wait for her son's return. Lenore's grandmother helped take care of issues in the capital that Lenore didn't need to deal with personally.

In a violet dress with lace trim, Aletta's hair was down and draped over her shoulders. Even with the help of servants to get dressed, Aletta was too depressed to bother.

Lenore knew what this visit was about. She came here once or twice a week to ask Lenore if she had any news of her son. Lenore's answers were always the same and she would explain that she would know the moment she heard anything, but that was never enough to stop her next visit.

Aletta's voice sounded as if she was seconds away from crying. “Have you heard from Lesatan yet?”

Lenore shook her head even though the woman was staring off into the distance. “I have no special knowledge as I have told you before. The network is set up to protect him so that no one person knows all the details. When he receives news, he will return here. I promise.”

“And of Piera?”

“I have people searching for her, but Xyles was meant to hide her away. She will return when he determines that it is safe.” Lenore folded her hands in her lap. “They will come back as soon as they are aware that everything is fine now.”

Aletta pressed her lips together. “I still find it difficult to trust you. After all, you were the one who sent both my son and his wife away. You say it was for their own protection, but I have dark thoughts of what you might have actually done.”

“I know you do, but I can not alleviate those fears until they return.” Lenore sighed, “Please, believe me when I say that I would much rather have Lesatan here. I am far too busy and it is taking its toll. In truth, I am not sure I know if half of what I am doing is correct. I will never be jealous of Lesatan becoming king of that you can rest assured.”

Aletta chuckled slightly. “He's all I have.” She caught herself from crying and cleared her throat. “The one person in the world that truly loves me, and the one piece of my husband that I was too stubborn to love in the light.”

Lenore slowly nodded her head as she did not know how to respond to such words. Aletta had been very open in the last few months about how she had actually felt for her father. They were words that she was unused to hearing and they made her feel conflicted about who the real Aletta was.

Standing up, Aletta looked down at her. “I apologize. Please, bring my son home and if not him then my grandchild if they yet live.”

Lenore knew it would take more than her words to make Aletta understand. Lesatan would need to return home before she was believed. “I am doing my best, but the news has to arrive at their ears first.”

She could tell that Aletta did not know whether to believe her or not. Trust is a hard thing to change when Lenore couldn't actually prove she was trustworthy just yet. It would happen eventually, Lenore had to believe that her brother and everyone were alright.

“Well, I will take my leave then.” Aletta turned to walk away.

Lenore stood from the bench, “Aletta?” She watched her turn around. “They will come back, and you shouldn't be wandering the campus without guards.”

She nodded her head. “I... I believe you.” She inhaled, “I just wanted to be alone and not have someone watching over me every moment of my life.”

“I understand. Be mindful during your return.” Lenore watched her disappear down the dirt path and turned to go back to her study.

---***---

After a couple hours in the study, Lenore leaned back in her seat and stared at the mound of paperwork in front of her. If this was all the work that her grandmother sent her that she had to lay eyes on, she wondered how much was left in the capital for her grandmother.

The sliding door opened and Harona stepped in with a letter in her hand. It was opened which meant it had been addressed to her. However, Lenore knew that if she was bringing it in to her study, it was no doubt a letter on a subject she was exhausted of discussing.

“Anton's father sent this letter to me.” Harona handed it to her.

With a large sigh, Lenore picked it up and began to read it.

My Dear Lady Harona Brenem,

I understand that my son was close to you, which is the only reason why I would dare to ask anything of a woman of your station.

As you may well know, my son's remains have been cremated which is against our customs and without our presence, and are now being withheld by Queen Regent Lenore Cromwell. Whom I understand you are close to her as well.

Please understand that we have a family plot that we very much wish to place his ashes in and finally mourn his loss. He was not meant to stay more than two years, but because he was placed under pressure by his friends to remain, he did so. For that decision, he is now gone and I understand that no amount of blame or anger will bring him back.

I implore you to speak with the Queen Regent and ask for our son's remains to be sent home. He belongs here amongst his family and ancestors.

Eternally grateful,

Nolan Pugh

Thatcher's Guild

Lenore slowly nodded her head and looked up to Harona. “He has written much the same to me, but more politely.”

“Isn't this cruel, Lenore? To withhold his ashes. They obviously do not care if the remains are honored, so why should we continue to...” She silenced herself when Lenore held up her hand.

“Harona, I know you feel guilty over this and I share those feelings. However, Anton died a guardian of the Crowned Prince that night, a guardian to the new King, and as such the King must decide the fate of his ashes. Just like the King decides that of his Royal Guards and other protectors.” Lenore ran her hand over her face as she took another deep breath.

Harona was nearing tears at this point.

“In case, you do not know. The Pughs are known to hold a deep dislike for the Royals, and slap at our hands whenever any offering of peace is given. They do not care about his remains being honored, because they do not care for us. Which is their prerogative, but obviously their son did. He cared so very much that he laid down his life. Therefore, if they will not allow him to be seen for his heroics then I will fight every emotion I hold for their grief to ensure that he be laid in a place of honor and respect.”

She stared down at the Queen Regent for several seconds as tears flowed down her cheeks. “I understand why you are doing this, but it doesn't seem right... either side.”

“There is no right or wrong here. We are both right and we are both wrong. When my brother returns, I will discuss sending some of his ashes back to them. However, he and Krius will be entering the Hall of Heroes.” Lenore stood from her seat and walked around the desk to place her hand on Harona's shoulder. “The truth of this matter is you have not mourned him properly, isn't it? He has yet to be entombed and you can not move forward on the matter.”

She nodded her head with his cheeks covered in tears that she had cried as silently as possible.

“Neither have I.” Lenore squeezed her shoulder. “Do not worry, it will be soon. The Prince and our friends will return, and we will see what his sacrifice accomplished. We will know that we stood by a brave man for years and did not see it until that moment.”

---***---

“Lenore?” Silarius slid open the door and entered the study that a young lady had pointed out. Though the girl seemed unwilling to take him to the door itself.

Sitting behind her desk, his niece looked up with a soft grin on her lips. “Silarius, I heard that you were here, but did not expect a visit.”

He nodded his head as he made his way over to the chair in front of her desk. As he sat down, he could feel his heart racing. “Yes, I am afraid that looking at you after all that has occurred is painful and therefore I have been avoiding you.”

“I see.” She pressed her lips together. “I doubt I could look at someone who sentenced my child to die.”

“No, you misunderstand. I do not place any guilt upon you, you and your brother are merely victims. I am the one that feels shame. I am responsible for my son and I should have seen his darkness and his lust for power... and other unwholesome dealings.” Silarius ran his hand over his forehead. “I saw him just now. It was the most difficult thing I had ever had to do.”

Lenore nodded slowly, “I could only imagine.”

“Looking into the eyes of your brother's murderer and someone who did those horrible things to your friend, but those eyes also belonged to my infant son and to my toddler who when he first walked nearly ran to me.” Silarius slightly grinned though his eyes filled with tears. “His mother couldn't even bare the thought of coming here to see him. A decision she will regret someday, I am afraid. Nevertheless it was her decision.”

“How is Neava?” Lenore asked after her other cousin.

Silarius opened his mouth to speak and then slowly closed it. “I do not know how to explain any of this to her. She is old enough to understand, but I fear that the darkness in her brother might be contagious. I think that if I tell her what lead to her brother's decision and ultimately his death that she might feel the need to...” His voice caught on his breath.

“Take up his flag?”

He nodded his head quickly.

“She has always been kindhearted like her mother.” She wanted to set her uncle's mind at ease, but knew that it was a futile attempt.

“I would have said that about Damek last year.” His words were bitter. “Knowing that I created and raised my own brother's killer is a feeling that can not be described. He is my only son and I realize now why the gods gave Neava to me and her mother so much later in life. I shall be thankful for that.” His head shook quickly as if he remembered something. “I apologize, I did not come here to lay my heart on your shoulder. I wanted to alleviate any burdens you have over this incident.”

“My burdens?” Lenore questioned curiously.

“Yes. You are not executing your cousin, but your father's murderer. Please ensure that you know this for the rest of your life, and never feel any guilt towards the rest of his family. We understand what must be done and why it is being done.” Silarius exhaled loudly before standing up. “I would say that I wished none of this ever happened or I wished I had seen what was happening sooner, but then I hear Lucius' voice telling me to wish in one hand and shit in the other to see which one comes out first.”

“My father would say such a thing?” Lenore chuckled at the thought.

“Ah, yes. Behind closed doors amongst only men, your father had quite the mouth on him.” He slightly grinned. “He would be proud of what you have done over the past few months, and how you saved your brother. I know that I am. You were very brave, Lenore.”

Lenore stood from her seat and walked around the desk to hug her uncle. It was brief as she could tell that her uncle was still uncomfortable around her despite his words. “I am sorry that this was the inevitable end. If only we had seen this plot before any death occurred, perhaps he could have been saved.”

“Perhaps, or perhaps he would have done darker deeds to ensure his plot came to fruition. I do not know that man in that cell.” He sighed once more, “I am returning home this eve. Be well, Lenore.”

---***---

Lenore walked out into the gardens in front of the South Dorm and noticed Santh sitting on the bench as he stared at the flowers. He looked to be lost deep in thought and she wondered what he could be thinking. However, in that moment she just wanted to speak to him and she did not care what the topic would be as long as he was with her. Walking over to him, she sat down beside him and sighed audibly.

“I was very popular today.” She told him. “I feel as if everyone at the university had come to see me and make demands.”

He smirked as he looked over at her before leaning forward and kissing her forehead. “Armand did not look thrilled to be asked to take over council duties, but he humbly accepted with a very annoyed groan.”

She chuckled lightly, “He disliked being the judge and dealing with council members, even though he is one himself. Being the head of the beast is most exhausting.”

“It is the only part that can think for itself.” He retorted and tossed his arm around her shoulder. “I find myself missing my friend more every day. Why did you send him away with the Prince? I have been meaning to ask you as I do not understand why he was involved at all. His father writes to me often to ask if anything has developed.”

Rubbing her finger over her eyebrow nervously, she then looked up to Santh. “I thought of making him stay here with Routine and the girls, but I knew he wouldn't want to be left out. I also knew that he needed away from this place, from this world, in general. He barely mourned Ophelia... I've barely had any time to mourn her.”

“If you had failed, he would be unable to return and take his position in the Merchant's Guild. You would have ruined his life.” Santh didn't mean to sound accusatory, but the words fell from his mouth as such.

Lenore did not seem offended by them and simple grinned, “He didn't seem to mind. He made that moment a priority over the Merchant's Guild. I think that was for Ophelia as he never made her one while she was alive.”

“He did.” Santh told her. “Pymus said that his son wanted to marry Ophelia and join the Souchan Guild, but the date on the letter was the day Ophelia was found in the woods. I don't know if he ever got the chance to tell her.”

“I hope he did.” A gentle sadness rolled across Lenore's face. She opened her mouth and then closed it briefly, before finally speaking. Her words were full of shame for what she was about to admit to him. “Piera will be guilt stricken to know that by telling Ophelia her secret, she made her a target. I blamed her a short while after it happened, and had to remind myself that it was Damek's fault not hers.”

“Routine is going to build a memorial for her in the woods. We should attend when it is unveiled and properly say our farewells.” Santh pulled her closer into a hug, in truth he needed to be held more than she did.

“That would be very nice.” She wrapped her arm that wasn't pressed against him around his waist and Santh kissed the top of her head.

“Santh?” She heard him groan in reply. “Are we still together until university ends or are we viewing ourselves in a longer term?”

He was quiet for several moments, which began to make Lenore's heart race in fear that he might say something she did not want to her. After several brief moments, he answered. “Let's not put a time table around it, and see where we head for now.”

“Very well.”

---***---

Lenore and Santh sat in silence for several moments. They both thought about recent occurrences and wondered about their missing friends. Lenore finally stood and looked down at the man sitting before her.

“I suppose I should get back to my duties. Those edicts will not sign themselves.” Lenore watched Santh stand and he gave her a hug.

“Don't work yourself until... you...” Santh went silent as he stared and gently pushed her elbow to get her to turn around.

Standing at the entrance of the dirt path was Lesatan with Jolon and Remus standing directly behind him. Everyone looked as if they were trapped in their moment, unable to move or speak. Lenore slowly began to move forward and placed her hand on her brother's cheek.

He watched as her eyes began to fill with tears, and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed his cheek. “You're safe. I was so afraid. You're safe.” She chanted the latter two words several times more.

“I'm safe.” He hugged her in return and was surprisingly overcome with the flow of emotion from his sister.

“I had terrible nightmares that you would never return.” She sobbed.

Lesatan felt his own tears on the verge of spilling over. “I feared for your life every day. I thought Damek could have won, and I worried and fret over you until I received word last month. We made our way here as fast as we could, Lenore.”

She stepped back and looked at her brother, but they held eachother's hands. “I am so relieved.”

“Have you heard from Piera?” He watched her shake her hand.

Beside her, she noticed that Remus and Santh had hugged one another, and she turned her attention to Jolon. “Saena is in her dorm room. She is worried sick. Why don't you go surprise her?”

He grinned and patted her shoulder as he walked passed her.

“What happened? Does your mother know? She made me Queen Regent, she was too upset to even uphold her duties.” Lenore told him.

“No, I had to see you right away, and make sure no harm had come to you.” He told her, “She can wait a couple extra moments.”

Lenore turned to Remus and hugged him, “Are you well?” She asked.

“It was a rough few months, but nothing that we could not work through. I should probably write my father, he no doubt is very worried.” Remus nodded toward Santh a farewell and entered into the dorms.

Santh seemed to take that as a cue to walk away from the sibling pair, and give them a moment to speak to one another.

“You look weary.” Lenore teased lightly, “It, however, is the best I have ever seen you look.”

Lesatan grinned, “You don't look quite fresh yourself. What of Damek?”

“I sentenced him to die at dawn tomorrow.” She did not know how her brother would react and he merely nodded his head. “He should count himself lucky that you passed the sentencing and not me.”

An excited scream came from inside the dorm and Lenore chuckled, “Saena must have just seen Jolon.”

Lesatan smirked, “Those two weren't my friends before we left, but I do not imagine I could have survived as long as I did without their company. I hold them both in high regard. I heard that Krius and the Pugh son are truly gone.” Part of him hoped his sister would tell him he was wrong, but she only gave a simple nod. “Guardians of the Crown Prince they will always be then.”

“Come, let's go to the Royal Dorms. You're mother still does not trust that I would return you home. Let us prove her wrong, shall we?”

Lesatan nodded his head with a grin, “I feel as if I have been gone more than a decade. So much has happened that I shall tell you about another time.”